ATP Mushaira: Humaisha dair kar daita houN meiN

Posted on April 1, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, ATP Mushaira, People, Politics, Urdu

I sometimes receive email from angry readers, fuming about our moderation policy here at ATP. I usually keep quiet since the comment policy is already explicit and part of our ‘Pakistaniat’ is to be trigger happy with our anger.

But sometimes – like earlier today – I am reminded of this wonderful verse from Munir Niazi.

Kissi ko apnay amal ka hisab kiya daitay
sawaal saarey ghalat thhay, jawab kiya daitay

Regular ATP readers are very well aware of the esteem in which I hold the memory of poet Muneer Niazi. I first wrote about him back in August 2006 while he was still alive (here), and then when he died in December we had two posts (here and here) celebrating his work, including a clip of his famous film song ‘Uss bewafa ka shehr hai aur hum haiN dostou.’

Today, I feel like remembering Munir Niazi again.

Even more so because I recently found two mushaira video clips from him. In some ways these are sad clips because one can see just how much his health deteriorated over the years. This was not the Muneer Niazi I remembered from my Lahore days. But the poetic brilliance, the passion, the style, the simplicity of vernacular, the depth of meaning were all very much the same. One example is the following verse, which you will find in the first video:

Khiyal jis ka tha mujhay, khiyal meiN milla mujhay
Sawaal ka jawab bhi, sawaal meiN milla mujhay

The second video (below) includes his masterpiece ‘Humaisha dair kar daita houN mein.’ Even if poetry is not your greatest passion, I urge readers to take a listen to this one, and carefully. To me, this poem (along with his Punjabi ‘kuch saanou maran da shouq ve see‘) are the most representative of the Munir Niazi genre.

21 Comments on “ATP Mushaira: Humaisha dair kar daita houN meiN

1. Moeen Bhatti says:
    April 1st, 2007 11:11 am

Both are v nice videos, Adil!

April 1st, 2007 1:11 pm

‘kuj shehar de lok vi zalam san’ is one of my favourites too.

3. Samdani says:
    April 1st, 2007 1:21 pm

Love the “sawal saarey ghalat thay, jawab kiya daitey”

Story of my life!

4. mystic says:
    April 1st, 2007 9:04 pm

Bohut achhe…maza aa gaya

5. shayer says:
    April 1st, 2007 10:35 pm

beautiful. bohat arsay baad itni khoobsurat shayeri sunni hai.

6. ahmed2 says:
    April 2nd, 2007 2:51 pm

Following from Munir Niazi is unique in its own way–words fail to describe its simplicity, its melodic content and its ‘shokhipan’.

APNAY NAAL GALLAN

Tara ban jawaanga
    Duuron duur ruwaanwanga
    Tay tainoon tursawaanga.

7. IAP says:
    April 3rd, 2007 10:25 am

Query to Intazamia :

Kia parda aur parda-dari ka bhi maqul intisam hai ?

8. IAP says:
    April 3rd, 2007 10:41 am

Interesting quote by Mr. ahmed2, plus all the above quotes.
    Munir Niazi can be termed as a ‘Pop’ (Shair) poet.

9. Adnan Ahmad says:
    April 3rd, 2007 1:16 pm

Khoob hai! Does any one know his poem “baaghi beta?”

hein rawaa’n uss rah purr jiss ki koee manzil na ho
    justajoo kartein hein uss ki jo hamein haasil na ho

wo khara hai aik baab-e-ilm ke dehleez purr
    mein ye kehta hoon ussay iss khoaf mein daakhil na ho!

10. AH says:
    April 3rd, 2007 1:31 pm

Why does the host keep repeating after Mr. Niazi? Is the host a moron or is this the standard?

Great poetry nonetheless.

11. Faarabi says:
    April 3rd, 2007 6:27 pm

Adil, Please delete AH’s comment. Asses like him are a disgrace to pakistanis and pakistaniat.

12. Mohib says:
    April 3rd, 2007 7:54 pm

@ AH

It is a common practice for the naazim-e-Mushaira (host of the Mushaira) to encourage the poet by repeating verses after the poet. Some hosts go too far in this respect but it is pretty much a standard thing.

Hope that helps.

13. AH says:
    April 3rd, 2007 8:58 pm

Mohib, it does help. Thank you very much for the clarification.

Faarabi, thanks for understanding and encouraging my wanting to learn more about my culture.

14. builder says:
    April 14th, 2007 11:39 pm

yeah I was curious about why the host keeps repeating the poet as well. honestly, it’s a bit jarring. especially when he gets a word wrong and has to be corrected.

adil, any chance you could direct me to any resources or readily available books with urdu shairi?

15. helen says:
    December 2nd, 2007 1:24 am

Just wanted to know if someone could tell me what the word humaisha means. My best friend is from Pakistan and I would like to write him a poem about our friendship in his language. Thanks

16. Farrukh Niazi says:
    December 11th, 2007 6:06 am

I like Muneer Niazi.He is my favourite poet and I like him because he comes to Niazi family and I also belong to Niazi family.

17. Rising says:
    December 13th, 2007 5:39 am

I Like Munir’s Poetry v much. Especially i like his verse
    Sirf is Shoq main poochi hain hazaron baatain
    Main tera husn teray husn e bayan tak daikhoon
    can any1 send me the whole Gazal???

18. Jalal HB says:
    September 2nd, 2008 12:04 pm

A great man and a poet who lived in utter poverty throughout his life – but left behind such an awe inspiring poetry that can match any great poet of all times.

He was and would remain my favourite poet, and I will always rever his verses that he left behind:

Hamesha dair kar daita hoon, har kaam karnay main

Zaroori baat kehni ho, koi wada nibhana ho

ussay awaaz daini ho, ussay wapas bulana ho

Hamesha dair kar daita hoon

Kisi ko maut say pehlay, kisi gham say bachana ho

Haqeeqat aur thi kuch, us ko ja kay yeh batana ho

Hamesha dair kar daita hoon, har kaam karnay main

May he be blessed – Ameen

I have dedicated a complete page in his memory in my website at:

19. March 16th, 2009 2:24 am

Lovely poet! A great person. His simple words have a profound meaning. This black n white picture reminds me of his drawing room where I went to meet him, back in 2005, as a high-school girl who was enchanted by his poetry, after I discovered his books in the school library.

20. ahmed rafique says:
    October 18th, 2009 11:23 am

asalam o alikum,,
    anybody having this poem complete??
    “kujh unj we raawaN aukhiaN sann
    kujh gall icch gham da tauq ve see
    kujh shehr dey louk ve zalim sann
    kujh sanouN marran da souq ve see”
    please send me

21. October 27th, 2011 12:48 am

Saw the you tubes on munir sahib….they were lovely…..
    These are the only verses of his that I have heard…would love to read or hear more……any sourses….
    Vipin chawla