Some Memorable PTV Commercials: What Were Your Favorite Ads?

Posted on May 10, 2008
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Society, TV, Movies & Theatre

The Ads (commercials) we watch while growing up can sometimes have an amazingly profound an impact on us. When I look back at all my years of growing up with PTV (Pakistan Television) I remember as many ads as I do any other form of programming. The memories of some still bring back a smile on my face. This blog post shares a few of those ads which I was able to find on YouTube.

This first one (above) is the famous Binaca Ad with the, then, child singer Afshaan who used to appear in the Sohail Rana children music programs and later, when all grown up, also appeared often on PTV.

This famous Naurus Ad (Naurus, by the way, is the other Red Bull of Pakistan) was equally popular and the cute little girl featured here was a national sensation of her time. I wonder where she is now.

Your Ad Here

We have written aboutsome very striking old PIA Ads, print Ads from the 1950s, and also about credit card and bank advertising and telecom company advertising. But old PTV ads have a quality and power all their own (see some new TV ads here).

I am not sure if these ads are necessarily better than the ones we have now. Indeed, some of the new ads are truly amazing – programming quality or better. For example, the Tapal Tea Ads/songs that Shoaib Mansoor produced. And also many more. Mayb, I was younger then and the memories of those days seem more glorious in retrospect. Or, maybe, we only had one channel and much fewer ads and, therefore, whatever was on TV seemed more memorable.

But whatever the reason, for me at least, these ads and the memories of some others from the same era have a particular and special quality to them. I have enjoyed seeing them again, and I hope you will too.

I should confess that I always found this next Ad – of State Life Insurance – rather funny. I still do. The very cute child is praying for her father’s long life and celebrating the fact that he has bought a Life Insurance policy. I wonder why buying – or cashing – a Life Insurance Policy bring such happiness to any child? Anyhow, the ad was catchy and very very popular. In fact, I think it was remade twice or thrice.

By the way, in the realm of the funny were the old Metromillan Billi Marka Agarbatti Ads. Unfortunately, I could not find a video of them.

One of my all-time favorite Ads – and, unfortunately, I could not find a video of this one – was the old Peek Freens biscuit Ad with the Pied Piper luring all the kids away with Peek Freens biscuits. This is the one filmed on a beautiful hill-station location and produced, I believe, by Javed Jabbar.

Another memorable one was this Ad for Kiwi Show polish. Again, the theme is school children and teh classroom. Watch here if the video below does not work.

Do share with us what might be some of your favorite ads from the old PTV days. And why?

80 responses to “Some Memorable PTV Commercials: What Were Your Favorite Ads?”

1. Shabih says:

I have a vague memory of an ad of Lipton tea, filmstar Nirala running with the train, I don’t think this ad is available anywhere.
    Another Ama Mirza Sahab chaal tau chaliye, also of some tea, may be Brooke Bond.

2. rr says:

anybody having video of HONEY CANDY PINE APPLE …MONTGOMERY, MONTGOMERY SWEETS????

3. irfan zafar says:

old adds
    1. honey candy hun hun hun pineapple hun hun hun and milk cream, montgomery montgomery sweets.
    its add of a candy and school children are doing their exercise.
    2. in naz paan masala the one is the one still came in dramas its faisal.
    3. awal na doom sab say aala unifoam
    buldozer running on foam again and again
    4. and one add of a coy boy came from desert in a bar and then after taking potatoe chips he ask and drank R.C cola hahahahaha

4. Arshad Khan says:

Oh yes I forgot

Double action Brite, dhoay bhi chamkaye bhi…double action Brite. that washing powder ad remember folks.

and and

Oxford sweater…

even

TJs ad was there

Talo oil – the one like “amma talo main pakao hamain sehat mand banao” something like that.

Naz paan masala, jis khi khusbo bhi piyari jis ki lazzat bhi piyari. Remember a couple sitting in a boat.

and and

Mercury ki Underwear or Banyan. Mercury ad, can’t remember the ad actually.

5. Arshad Khan says:

WOW…Wonderful. After all these many years, it give me pleasure enough to bring long smile on my face.

…Oh those were the days.

Let me bring another one…I can’t remember, its I think late 70’s or early 80’s I was 8 years old and anxiously wait PTV to start its transmission with our National Tarana.

Piyaray bachoon, Kiwi kya hai – Kiwi aik parinda hai (and repeat)
    Kya tum nay usko dekha hai aur kahan wo rehta hai – sab say achi polish ki dibya per kiwi rehta hai.

Can someone please post me loads and loads of ads on my mail. Thanks.

6. Saleem R. Chandna says:

Can someone post the famous ” a woman will always be lyla ” ad from lawrencepur woolen mills created way back in 1972.

7. Jamshed says:

Watching cable TV in Pakistan these days is pure torture.Certain channels devote much more time to ads than they do to programming.Most of the ads today are tasteless and and are repeated ad nauseam.
    PTV in the 1970s and 1980s did get a few things right.It produced some excllent programmes and yes,the ads from those days were pretty decent.

8. shakeel says:

Brother Ahmer kindly give me your email I will give you some links of ptv classics ads
    shakeelsunnyc@yahoo.com

9. shakeel says:

I am very glad to see your this clip and beleive me I feel that I am child I have seen
    after 25 years now I am 42.
    I love to see old commercials of ptv like
    Jet humara jet tumara.
    Yamaha japani sung by shehky.
    Mehky Mehky khushbo wali late Badar Munir was there in that ads
    Jale jab elahi sons ke bulb.
    Mans demand capstan cigrette which was shooted in different countries like hungry.
    I love to see ptv old khabarnama with surya shahab and Azhar lodhi.
    Old start music of PTV in 70s.
    And children beautiful song
    Aate Baadal Jaate Baadal(Sohail Rana music)
    Dosti esa Nata.
    I love to see these memorable programmes and commercials of ptv in 70s
    So impatient to see them again after 25 years.
    If you have link or downloaded then please inform me link of you tube.
    Yours brother
    shakeel hussain
    Sialkot

10. shakeel says:

I love to see old commercial which I not found here in that website kindly tell me its link I will be very thankful to you because it was in my childhood when I have seen those memorable ptv commercials
    1-Man’s demand capstan cigrettes(was shot in different countries like hungry and many others)
    2-jet humara jet tumara(sarf ads)
    3-jale jab elahi sons ke bulb
    4-yamaha japani sung by mohammad Ali Sheky
    5-Bata ne diya Andaz Naya in 80s(Mohammad Ali Sheky)
    6-mehki mehki khushboo wali (Badar Munir pashto actor)