Some Memorable PTV Commercials: What Were Your Favorite Ads?

Posted on May 10, 2008
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Society, TV, Movies & Theatre

The Ads (commercials) we watch while growing up can sometimes have an amazingly profound an impact on us. When I look back at all my years of growing up with PTV (Pakistan Television) I remember as many ads as I do any other form of programming. The memories of some still bring back a smile on my face. This blog post shares a few of those ads which I was able to find on YouTube.

This first one (above) is the famous Binaca Ad with the, then, child singer Afshaan who used to appear in the Sohail Rana children music programs and later, when all grown up, also appeared often on PTV.

This famous Naurus Ad (Naurus, by the way, is the other Red Bull of Pakistan) was equally popular and the cute little girl featured here was a national sensation of her time. I wonder where she is now.

"Your

We have written aboutsome very striking old PIA Ads, print Ads from the 1950s, and also about credit card and bank advertising and telecom company advertising. But old PTV ads have a quality and power all their own (see some new TV ads here).

I am not sure if these ads are necessarily better than the ones we have now. Indeed, some of the new ads are truly amazing – programming quality or better. For example, the Tapal Tea Ads/songs that Shoaib Mansoor produced. And also many more. Mayb, I was younger then and the memories of those days seem more glorious in retrospect. Or, maybe, we only had one channel and much fewer ads and, therefore, whatever was on TV seemed more memorable.

But whatever the reason, for me at least, these ads and the memories of some others from the same era have a particular and special quality to them. I have enjoyed seeing them again, and I hope you will too.

I should confess that I always found this next Ad – of State Life Insurance – rather funny. I still do. The very cute child is praying for her father’s long life and celebrating the fact that he has bought a Life Insurance policy. I wonder why buying – or cashing – a Life Insurance Policy bring such happiness to any child? Anyhow, the ad was catchy and very very popular. In fact, I think it was remade twice or thrice.

By the way, in the realm of the funny were the old Metromillan Billi Marka Agarbatti Ads. Unfortunately, I could not find a video of them.

One of my all-time favorite Ads – and, unfortunately, I could not find a video of this one – was the old Peek Freens biscuit Ad with the Pied Piper luring all the kids away with Peek Freens biscuits. This is the one filmed on a beautiful hill-station location and produced, I believe, by Javed Jabbar.

Another memorable one was this Ad for Kiwi Show polish. Again, the theme is school children and teh classroom. Watch here if the video below does not work.

Do share with us what might be some of your favorite ads from the old PTV days. And why?

facial hair styles
groupon phoenix
best restaurants in chicago
public service announcement
cervical cancer symptoms

80 comments posted

Comment Pages: « 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 [2] 1 » Show All

May 10th, 2008 4:13 pm

Another famous one was ‘Tinopal ka lashkaara” :) The acting in this ad was so sub-standard that we used to act this ad among our friends and mock the acting by exaggerating.

One guy was shown asking another: “hmm nayay kapray?”

and the other guy used to look so scared, astonished and happy, all at the same time at this question (due to his overacting) and used to reply as:

” nahin tinopal ka lashkaara” :)

May 10th, 2008 4:08 pm

I also remeber the K2 cigarette ad which said ‘K2 pe aaiyay, zaaiqa apnaaiay’. It showed two heavy smokers climbing a very naorrow and conical peak of World’s Second highest mountain K2 and placing a flag at the top.

The joke among my friends was the -ad company made a fake K2 peak in the studio by throwing some ‘choona’ (white wash paint) on a cement conical shape which was hardy 3 feet in diameter at the base and very pointed at the top and called it K2 :)

Adil thanks for this post.

3. Yaqoob Hassan says:
    May 10th, 2008 3:52 pm

By the way, anyone remember the early “Fair and Lovely” Ads. Those were quite something!

4. Shiraz says:
    May 10th, 2008 3:50 pm

Adil, hamain yadashtoon kee galeeon main lah janay kay leay shukriya (thanks for taking us down to memory lanes)

Lipton Tea ad “Chai chahiaey”, Mayfair toffees ad, Naz Pan Masala (Afshan ? w/ Faisal) were among on of my favorite.

Most annoying..come on…no body mentioned
    Lifebouy sabun ad..God!!!!! I hated it..I still can smell this sabun’s annoying smell on internet :-)

5. Yaqoob Hassan says:
    May 10th, 2008 3:48 pm

What great memories.
    The Dentonic Ad was a classic. I remember it so well.

You are right, we remember the Ads even if we never used teh products.

Nice Blog.

6. mb says:
    May 10th, 2008 3:23 pm

Some annoying and now comforting memories:

Kaam kareN ham Kaam
    Kaam se jab thak jayeN
    phir kareN araam

Araam ka hai naam
    DIAMOND MULTI FOAM!!!
    ——————–
    Dentonic…daant chamak jayeN (tink, tink tink, sparkle sparkle!)
    ——————–
    Gaye Soap ki taraf se ahl-e-watan ko eid mubarak!…Gaye Soap (Mooo!)

7. -Farid says:
    May 10th, 2008 3:20 pm

Ah yes..!! Good ones all. I recently re-discovered them all myself on youtube.

Here’s another one, which was done by Morvern Gold but is more of a song than an ad. Its also not as old as the others, but still worth revisiting.

and how about this anti-smoking ad. featuring Wasim Akram in his playing days

Though I will say that we do see some great ads done today too (and some crappy ones too) I guess oldies will always be goldies not just for their own sake, but for the rush of memories they bring back.

PS: And if you are down the memory lane of the 80′s there’s plenty of vintage fifty-fifty stuff up on youtube. Disco Chor anyone ?!

Anyway, thanks for sharing !

8. Azeem says:
    May 10th, 2008 2:03 pm

Oh yes. I remember the “men demand Capstan” Ad. That was quite something. Actually many of the cigarette ads were great but with totally screwed up social messages. Like the Morven Gold Ads.

Great blog . Thanks.