Some Memorable PTV Commercials: What Were Your Favorite Ads?

Posted on May 10, 2008
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Society, TV, Movies & Theatre

The Ads (commercials) we watch while growing up can sometimes have an amazingly profound an impact on us. When I look back at all my years of growing up with PTV (Pakistan Television) I remember as many ads as I do any other form of programming. The memories of some still bring back a smile on my face. This blog post shares a few of those ads which I was able to find on YouTube.

This first one (above) is the famous Binaca Ad with the, then, child singer Afshaan who used to appear in the Sohail Rana children music programs and later, when all grown up, also appeared often on PTV.

This famous Naurus Ad (Naurus, by the way, is the other Red Bull of Pakistan) was equally popular and the cute little girl featured here was a national sensation of her time. I wonder where she is now.

"Your

We have written aboutsome very striking old PIA Ads, print Ads from the 1950s, and also about credit card and bank advertising and telecom company advertising. But old PTV ads have a quality and power all their own (see some new TV ads here).

I am not sure if these ads are necessarily better than the ones we have now. Indeed, some of the new ads are truly amazing – programming quality or better. For example, the Tapal Tea Ads/songs that Shoaib Mansoor produced. And also many more. Mayb, I was younger then and the memories of those days seem more glorious in retrospect. Or, maybe, we only had one channel and much fewer ads and, therefore, whatever was on TV seemed more memorable.

But whatever the reason, for me at least, these ads and the memories of some others from the same era have a particular and special quality to them. I have enjoyed seeing them again, and I hope you will too.

I should confess that I always found this next Ad – of State Life Insurance – rather funny. I still do. The very cute child is praying for her father’s long life and celebrating the fact that he has bought a Life Insurance policy. I wonder why buying – or cashing – a Life Insurance Policy bring such happiness to any child? Anyhow, the ad was catchy and very very popular. In fact, I think it was remade twice or thrice.

By the way, in the realm of the funny were the old Metromillan Billi Marka Agarbatti Ads. Unfortunately, I could not find a video of them.

One of my all-time favorite Ads – and, unfortunately, I could not find a video of this one – was the old Peek Freens biscuit Ad with the Pied Piper luring all the kids away with Peek Freens biscuits. This is the one filmed on a beautiful hill-station location and produced, I believe, by Javed Jabbar.

Another memorable one was this Ad for Kiwi Show polish. Again, the theme is school children and teh classroom. Watch here if the video below does not work.

Do share with us what might be some of your favorite ads from the old PTV days. And why?

facial hair styles
groupon phoenix
best restaurants in chicago
public service announcement
cervical cancer symptoms

79 comments posted

Comment Pages: « 10 9 8 7 6 [5] 4 3 2 1 » Show All

1. Sabz says:
    May 11th, 2008 3:19 pm

Baabu beeri ki janib say tamaam karam farmaaoN ko dill-ee Eid Mubarak!

And .. all the Bata and Service shoe ads around Eid as well. Although polishing the white PT shoes was such a messy job.

Who else polished their shoes at night with Kiwi or the PT shoes with the white-o like stuff that dripped on the floor unless you had an ‘akhbaar’ to catch the run off? :)

Good ‘ol days indeed!

2. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    May 11th, 2008 3:15 pm

@ ek chutki dentonic say ek chutki mein tammam
    dante ghaieb.

Gayee soap say nehlanay kay ba’ad apki gayee
    chutki mein chamak utthay gi.

( I am afraid, I have mixed up the ads, does’nt matter !!)

3. May 11th, 2008 12:32 pm

LOL-this is not an ancient Ad but Mod Girl’s Cream bleach Ad was so weired and lame that it always brought smile . It was like:

ummm Mera Gora Bannay Ka Sapna Such Huwa
    [an idiot looking guy in window]

Hua

Jab Mod Gal cream bleach ne, Mujhe Chuwa
    (same idiot looking guy in window)

CHua

Tu Pandra Minute mey hogai mey Gori Gori

(Idiot guy again)

Gori Gori

4. syma says:
    May 11th, 2008 12:16 pm

how about the hilarious “gai” soap commercial in which the gai (cow) kicks its hind leg to work a toap (canon ball)!!!

May 11th, 2008 11:35 am

Okha_Jatt, The bowler running in the shadow of textile mill ad was none other than Pakistan’s cricketer Jalaluddin.

Jalaluddin holds the record of making first hat-trick in the history of One Day Internationals.

6. Okha_Jatt says:
    May 11th, 2008 10:43 am

Wow, so many nice memories.

Many of you have already mentioned some ads which are etched in my memory forever. I remember I was in primary school when I first saw the weird ad of some textile company, may be some Farooq Textiles in which some bowler used to run in a shadow. I could not understand the logic behind that.

Secondly, a more recent one. “Khaon ga nahin, tou bara kaisey hoon ga”. It was some cooking oil ad.

How about “dou goli dispirin”?

One nice ad from my childhood was of a bagpiper followed by many children who used to follow him to a big hut in the shape of a shoe. I do not remember, this ad was for which product but that shoe-like hut is etched in my memory.

7. Ghulam Farid says:
    May 11th, 2008 10:09 am

I had never really thought much about the State Life commercial until now but now that I see it here it is quite funny and I also wonder why any loving dUghter would sing that jingle. But I do recall it being very popular

8. Kashif Bukhari says:
    May 11th, 2008 9:39 am

Oh and the famous ad
    Pakistani Fauj ke jawan hein hum
    Zalzala ho ya seilab logon key kaam atein hein used to wait for this ad.

Comment Pages: « 10 9 8 7 6 [5] 4 3 2 1 » Show All