Thank You for Your Pakistaniat: ATP Named Pakistan’s Best Current Affairs Blog

Posted on June 2, 2010
Filed Under >Adil Najam, >Owais Mughal, About ATP
Total Views: 20329

Adil Najam and Owais Mughal

We are delighted and honored to learn that All Things Pakistan has been named the Best Current Affairs Blog in the first Annual Pakistan Blog Awards. Our thanks to all those who voted for us and to everyone who has supported this effort. We have been lucky to have been honored before in the lists that Shirazi sahib has been doing at Light Within (2009, 2008, 2007, 2006) and today we are humbled by this recognition just as we were on those.

So, dear readers, we thank the organizers of the Blog Awards, but even more than them we thank all of you today. For having shared with us in this journey of Pakistaniat.

Awards themselves may not mean much, but the recognition that what we are doing here is considered to be worth doing by at least some is priceless. Running the blog day in and day out for now nearly four years is not easy. The burden – on one’s time as well as one’s emotions – becomes even more grueling because of the pace at which bad news has been flowing from Pakistan recently. The comments can be harsh. The weather seems forever rough. Nerves are frayed – our own as well as those of our readers. And existence seems forever on edge. But, then, that too is very much a part of being Pakistani today. Of our Pakistaniness. Of our Pakistaniat.

At the end of the day, it is all made worth the effort when one knows that there are people out there for whom Pakistaniat serves a purpose.

Such occasions are also good occasions for introspection. Even though we have done so less as time has flown and as the talkee-i-ayam has increased, we have tried to celebrate our milestone and laid out our own motivations for doing what we do: See ATP’s 1st Post (June 11, 2006), ATP’s 100th Post (July 16, 2006), ATP’s ‘Going Forward’ Post (Aug 18, 2006), ATP’s move to Pakistaniat.Com Post (Sep 1, 2006), ATP and Tangay Walla Post (Nov 25, 2006), ATPs ‘Six Month Anniversary’ Post (Dec 11, 2006), ATPs ‘One Year Anniversary’ Post (June 11, 2007), ATPs Redesign Curtain-raiser Post (July 18, 2007), ATPs ‘Two Year Anniversary’ Post (June 11, 2008), ATPs ‘Three Year Anniversary’ Post (June 11, 2009), Who Reads Pakistaniat.com Post (July 5, 2009) here.

To be honest, we have thought sometimes of just giving it (the blog) up. Even more often we have thought of handing it over to someone else (we would actually love to do that if we found a good home for it). But it is you, our readers, who keep us going. And keep us feeling good about keeping it going.

Like all things are destined to, I am sure that at some point this too shall disappear. But until then, we remain, yours in Pakistaniat!

37 Comments on “Thank You for Your Pakistaniat: ATP Named Pakistan’s Best Current Affairs Blog”

1. ASAD says:
    June 2nd, 2010 10:34 am

Congratulations to ATP and both of you. You have been doing a national service. No one deserves this more than you and you have all of our gratitude. ATP is really the conscience of all Pakistanis.

2. Aziz says:
    June 2nd, 2010 10:55 am

Congratulations!!! You guys are doing a great job. Please do not think about giving it up. I don’t think we can find a better replacement. ATP will be “pheeka” without both of you guys name associated with it. I know its hard and I know that I cannot do it but if you can, please carry on :)

Good luck and inshallah you will get many more awards and recognition.

3. Athar says:
    June 2nd, 2010 11:32 am

Congratulations, Adil. It is really very well deserved. Keep up great work.

You bring pride to your fellow alums (UET) too. :). We are very proud of you.

4. Durrani says:
    June 2nd, 2010 11:32 am

Well done and well deserved.

I cannot live with my multiple doses of ATP per day. It keep the Pakistani in me alive and it keeps my pride in Pakistan and Pakistanis alive despite everything that is happening. Most of all, it always inspires me to do better.

You guys have created not just a blog but an institution. Well done, Sirs.

5. Someone from the US says:
    June 2nd, 2010 12:07 pm

Congratulations and many thanks to both of you and your staff for the national service you have been providing.

Keep up the good work and certainly ask for any help if it is ever needed.

6. Humaira says:
    June 2nd, 2010 12:12 pm

Mubarakbad.
    I can’t imagine that anyone could have been even near ATP. This is by far the best Pakistani blog and I think the biggest compliment to you is how many other blogs have been modeled on ATP. You are truly trend-setters.

7. Farrukh says:
    June 2nd, 2010 12:23 pm

Well done guys. Most deserved.

You make us proud and you make us feel good about ourselves. Thank you.

8. MQ says:
    June 2nd, 2010 1:00 pm

As a longtime reader of ATP, I am happy at your well-deserved achievement. Congratulations.

9. Eidee Man says:
    June 2nd, 2010 1:34 pm

Very well-deserved.

It would be nothing less than a tragedy if you stopped this blog, or handed it to someone who cannot do as good a job.

As far as I am concerned, you are the only online voice of sanity and conscience representing the silent majority within Pakistan.

I am sure all of us (readers) could find blogs whose content we would agree with more than ATP, but that would defeat the purpose. ATP makes me think, and as others have mentioned, inspires us to do and be better.

10. Stranded says:
    June 2nd, 2010 3:11 pm

I agree. Its refreshing, the debates in the comments are always interesting. I enjoy it when some writer or commentor makes a point I never thought of.

Well done.

11. Asim Kaleem says:
    June 2nd, 2010 5:07 pm

Congrats , Mabrook , mubarak …………… ur insight into the situation and your feelings for the country really deserves this award …………. But you posted this late ……….. I think you got this award last week ………….

12. Watan Aziz says:
    June 2nd, 2010 6:46 pm

I do not know about you, but I cannot make up my mind on this topic.

Should ATP close shop or make it better?

What do the readers think?

I think in the ATP tradition, there should be a vote.

A. Give up ATP!
    B. Make ATP better by making it relevant.
    C. Do nothing, bad news brings readership up. Besides we want know who are the “good Pakistanis”?
    D. Are you kidding, this is best news since sliced bread!
    E. Adil, plz u jokng, naH? V kant liv if u clz.
    F. Put Watan Aziz under moderation right now!

OK, folks.

Calm down. Take it easy. And a 1, and a 2 and a 3 deep breaths.

It is take-it-easy hour.

Seriously, I would only add, that if this site was not associated with Adil, I would have not spent 2 seconds on it, regardless of the content, quality or the people.

I came to know Adil by chance at a conference almost ten years ago in Boston and was impressed with his rebel but sobering sincerity.

Adil, you bring credibility to Pakistani blogs; a gravitas. I am appreciative of your efforts and commitment to excellence.

Yes, we have differences at times, but it is what I call policy and not personality. I am not a koolaid sipper. Never was, never will be.

And ATP is also, as someone put it, therapy to vent the madness we see on a daily basis. And with a hope, that if one word added to the conversation, will be of good use to Pakistan, its people and prosperity to the world, it is worth it to be wrong one hundred times.

When I see the love pouring out of people at ATP for Pakistan, I know the future is both good and strong. There are too many good people trying to get rid of ignorance for a better Pakistan.

And those who hate Pakistan, lurk at ATP; and leave with disappointment when they see that they cannot create divisions amongst Pakistanis.

So, Adil as the world turns, no matter what you will do, and ATP has it’s best days ahead, you will always have my deepest appreciation for your honest effort and love of Pakistan.

Because in the end, it is not about you, nor about me, it is for and about Pakistan.

Pakistan Zindabad
    Pakistan Paindabad

13. June 2nd, 2010 7:02 pm

Adil and Owais, congratulations. You guys derve this recognition. This is by far the best Pakistani blog. Keep it up. Adil, just do me one favour, as I mentioned to you in Boston, please add a spell checker.

14. Sami says:
    June 2nd, 2010 7:45 pm

Mubarakbad
    Well Done
    Most deserved
    Keep us thinking, guys. We need you.

15. ShahidnUSA says:
    June 2nd, 2010 9:44 pm

Congratulations to ATP, Adil Najam, Owais Mughal, Asad and all the members, readers, comentators and contributors for their efforts.
    Thank you for tolerating my rants all these years.
    You all make Pakistan look very beautiful.

XOXO
    Shahid

16. June 2nd, 2010 9:53 pm

Please do not stop writing on this blog. Otherwise I’ll have to go back to read newspaper like jang, yuk

17. Faisal says:
    June 2nd, 2010 11:27 pm

Congrats to both of you.

I think you are an amazing team and bring different styles and skills that make this blog really special and there is always a surprise waiting for us each day.

18. Rabia Bashir says:
    June 2nd, 2010 11:27 pm

Bravo! ATP made us proud like it always does. It’s a wonderful feeling to be associated with such a balanced and sane voice in today’s crazy world.
    Thanks Adil Najam & team for keeping our hope alive and thanks to everyone who contributes to ATP’s vision. Heart, mind, and soul, Pakistaniat.

19. Mike D. says:
    June 2nd, 2010 11:49 pm

I study Pakistan keenly and I have been a (mostly) silent spectator of this blog for a while. I can say that for many of us who are not Pakistanis, this is a beautiful window to Pakistan. It covers things we never hear anywhere else. But most of all I admire that strong pride in Pakistan but without a trace of jingoism or attempts to hide bad news. I find that unlike many others who go either into denial or into depression, this is a balanced discussion and always an authentic discussion. Thank you, editors, for letting us see this part of Pakistan too.

20. Waqar says:
    June 3rd, 2010 12:17 am

Congratulations for this well deserved honor.

What I like best about this blog is its focus on Pakistan and only Pakistan. Your devotion and focus on just Pakistan and on everything Pakistani is unique and very very special.

21. Anita says:
    June 3rd, 2010 1:23 am

congratulations!this really is a very strong platform to express our feelings about our issues.keep it up.

22. Sadia Malik says:
    June 3rd, 2010 6:53 am

Bravo ATP Team. Very well deserved.

Please keep going and don’t give up. We turn to this to mourn and to celebrate. Surely, e-chaikhana for all Pakistanis.

23. Adam Insaan says:
    June 3rd, 2010 1:20 pm

Mubarique.
    Congratulations.
    Tillykke med prisen.
    Mycket bra.
    Sehr Gut.
    Tres bien
    Lycka til.

24. Haider says:
    June 3rd, 2010 10:02 pm

Very well deserved. Well done Owais and Adil. Please keep up the great work you are doing.

25. Jamshed says:
    June 4th, 2010 12:02 pm

You’re both doing a fine job.I’m sure there must be plenty of trials and tribulations in running this blog.But I hope you keep going.

26. Tehmina says:
    June 4th, 2010 8:35 pm

Well done ATP. You are tops.

27. aminpanaawala says:
    June 5th, 2010 1:05 am

ATP DESERVES.CONGRATULATION WITH MY ALL WISHES AND MY BEST PRAYERS FOR YOU.MAP

28. Osman says:
    June 6th, 2010 2:56 am

Well done Pakistaniat. We are all proud of you

29. Saba says:
    June 6th, 2010 3:09 am

Very very well deserved. Mubarak

30. Adnan Ahmad says:
    June 9th, 2010 9:32 am

Owais Mughal and Adil Najam, Congrats!! My entire blogging experience starts and ends with this blog and I must say the site will not be the same without either of you.

31. Fauzia says:
    June 9th, 2010 1:09 pm

Most well deserved
    Congrats to ATP Pakistaniat team

32. Blogger says:
    June 13th, 2010 5:08 pm

Congrats guys. You deserved this.

33. Pervaiz says:
    July 27th, 2010 11:07 pm

Congratulations to the ATP team. Most well deserved certainly. You are a voice of sanity in the wilderness.

34. wasim watio says:
    September 29th, 2010 5:36 am

Common people of pakistan have been enduring the giant problems of Inflation , unemployment and government corruption for a few years. Pakistanis get ready for another blow! Your government is going to impose three different taxes of Rs.80 billion. These taxes are reformed GST, increase in the percentage of income tax from 2-3% to 10% and a high-amount property tax for urban areas. The most cruel part of these ruthless taxes is that they would be imposed on the middle and lower class only. No tax is going to be imposed on the upper or the elite class. It is time to wake up. How would the already suffering people of pakistan be able to pay these cruel taxes . Why don’t our corrupt rulers impose taxes on the riches ? Why don’t they impose agriculture tax ?. The answer is simple that the elite class is actually the ruling class. I don’t see anything stopping the imposition of these taxes so get ready for the miserable life waiting for you. Pakistan is a poor country for its common people only because the elite class of our country has a life style which is highly luxurious than the rich people of western countries. What is the need of a 90-minister-cabinet. According to Transparency international a single minister’s expenditure is Rs.1 lac per day. Yes , you hear me right, it is rupees One lac per day. So how can one say that pakistan is a poor country. Pakistan is a poor country but for its common people only.

35. Watan Aziz says:
    November 13th, 2010 9:47 pm

Where is Adil?

Where is the Adil of the millennium conference?

Had to told me then that Adil would be focused on Pakistaniat, I would have agreed.

But had to told me then that Adil would be publishing tashmbeen, I would have never believed it.

And had you told me that Adil would consider some phantom idea as “serious tax reform”, I would have never believed it.

And had you told me that Adil would have “held someone in high regard” who utters an astonishing statement, ““Personally speaking, I am in favour of taxing the rich, but the Constitution does not allow the federal government to do so because it is a provincial subject”.”, I would have never believed you.

And had you told me that Adil will be lost to the dark side of the glitter and shine, I would never have believed you.

I am looking for Adil Najam who has gone off the course.

Adil, come back.

Pakistan needs good people and we cannot afford to lose our good people to the dark side of the “gitter-mitter” crowd.

PS. I will continue to protest the tamashbeen. We cannot entertain ourselves with filth, even if it is real and exists amongst us.

36. Raheel says:
    December 10th, 2010 1:02 am

Congratulations Pakistaniat team. You make us proud. This blog is an amazing testimony to the idea of Pakistaniat itself.

37. shahid ali says: