Pictures of the Day: Flying High

Posted on June 21, 2006
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Art & Literature, Economy & Development, Photo of the Day
Total Views: 20309

Pakistan International Airline (PIA) has new livery. And, I must say, it looks very nice.

Much nicer, certainly, than the last back-fin livery they had (the ill proportioned waving flag). That one just did not work, especially with the white background to the plane. Always seemed like it was an after-thought that did not do justice to the flag or the aeroplane.

I should also confess that when I first heard that these new designs were coming, I did not much like the idea. Why must every airline try to follow the British Airways example? On this one, however, I will admit that I was wrong. Whoever has done these designs have done a good job.

I am told that there are four designs (one for each province) and they are all depicted here. Additional designs may come. Pay particular attention, also, to the name and city of each plane. The four depicted here are: Thar: Colours of the Desert (in light shades of blue); Lahore: Garden of the Mughals (strong reds and blues); Peshawar: Gateway to the East (red and green on earthy yellow); Gwadar: The New Port City (bold yellow, red, green and blue).

Altamash Mir and iFaqeer, please note the name of the Lahore plane; we do acknowledge our Mughal past… sometimes! (Although, I should add, there are some aspects of our ‘Mughal heritage’ that I am neither proud of nor do I wish to own or emulate; e.g., imprisoning one’s partents and killing one’s siblings).

And, yes, I did note that the Baluchistan plane is smaller and older than all the others. I hope there is no hidden meaning in that!

All pictures courtesy of Jetphotos.net.

12 Comments on “Pictures of the Day: Flying High”

1. Imran H. says:
    July 12th, 2006 3:54 pm

I do love the new designs too! I would agree.. the blue one looks gorgeous with the white of the body. Not too sure about the new PIA logo with that green stripe. I think the logo should be the standard logo in bold Sans-Serif font as it used to be with a large stylized-Urdu insignia just behind it and to its left. And no green stripe.

Just my design background coming through. :)

Anyway.. I do like the blue tail!

2. HJ says:
    July 12th, 2006 11:54 pm

The problem with PIA is inside the cabin, not outside (wink). Earlier this year, to support the good work the new PIA MD is putting in, I decided to skip Singapore Airlines/Malaysian/Emirates and flew PIA. I made a mistake. First, the flight was three hours late, second the crew just didn’t give a flying f*** about service and third it was darn uncomfortable. The biryani was great (I wanted seconds) but then the whole cabin and my clothes smelled like Student’s biryani for several days; the seats were so uncomfortable that I had a backache in just two hours! While in Pakistan, I flew a new airline called Airblu – and loved it. PIA has a wonderful heritage as an airline – and its wonderful only because capable and committed men and women took pride in their work. When I lived in Singapore, a senior SIA executive once told me when SIA was starting out in the late 1960s, some of the key people behind it were Pakistanis from PIA (we helped lauch Emirates also, I think). Look were SIA and Emirates are now and where Please Inform Allah is!
    HJ

3. W.H says:
    July 30th, 2006 10:45 pm

New livery very gorgeous! i love the Colours of the Desert (blues). Its good to follow good examples like for livery Why must every airline try to follow the British Airways example? One thing i must add Green stripes running through the body of plane reflects exactly the same stripe as on EL AL Isreal airlines well they have blue colour stripe, even whites are the same and they have flag thing too, visit website. ;)

4. Farrukh says:
    October 31st, 2006 5:15 pm

Amazing. Got directed back here through the Karachi blog. It is a small world.

Had never seen this one before. Really like teh first picture… plane with blue tail.

5. Anwar says:
    November 6th, 2006 9:25 am

Let our Afridi brothers put more colorful paintings on the airplanes just like they do on the trucks and busses.
    They may add some poetry and words of wisdom as well. One of the quote scribed just above the driver seat and clearly visible to the passengers was “Ask for forgiveness, this may be your last journey” I remember it very well. Perhaps it suits PIA too.
    When we visit Pakistan, our goal always is to fly PIA – I must add that flight crew is always nice, the ground crew is another story. Overall, service has declined.

6. samdani says:
    November 6th, 2006 12:25 pm

I think the idea of decking up planes like our painted busses is a great one. Maybe make it a theme inside and out. You will get people all over the world at airports talking about them. Anwar, you should get copyright for the idea and sell it to PIA.

7. Anwar says:
    November 7th, 2006 8:52 am

Thanks Samdani. Even if I copyright this idea ther e is no guarantee that it will not be pirated in the land of the Pure.
    Actually paint adds several thousand pounds to the weight of an aircraft. Major US airlines for example have minimum cosmetics on the fleet for this and other economical reasons. Being a state subsidized organization, PIA is exempt from money saving schemes.

8. MQ says:
    November 7th, 2006 10:11 am

If there is to be “plane poetry” like we have “truck poetry” then I would suggest the following to be inscribed on PIA planes:

Waasta ayee Rab da tu jaaNweeN ve kabootra …

9. Wbalushi says:
    November 8th, 2007 5:59 am

i do love the design of PIA. but the logo is no a standard logo.
    its like old sindi design. so pleace make real, one.
    and ofcouse i do lve this nice. PIA is kiddig us………

10. aqib javed says:
    December 30th, 2007 10:55 am

good
    i m proud of u.this is great.keep this

11. Watan Aziz says:
    June 21st, 2010 8:05 am

Glad you “took notice”. And as for “hidden meaning”, I do not know, but do share your thoughts.

Which lead me to think, “taking notice”, “strict notice” and plain “notice” are old as Pakistan. “Hidden meaning”, well, same here.

We need to come up with new words. Just to juice up the gossip and the rumor.

So here are some suggestions for the “hidden meaning”;

concealed
    undetectable
    invisible
    unseenable
    clandestine
    undercover
    subterranean
    hugger-mugger
    furtive
    sneak
    surreptitious
    underhand
    covert
    on the quiet

My favorite is “on the quiet”. Just sounds so good. AhmmEmmm. Nothing evil or sinister about it. Just pure gossipy. Even a good old rumor “on the quiet” will not sound surreptitious.

So what do the readers say? Lets have a vote!

12. Hira Qureshi says:
    June 22nd, 2010 11:32 am

wow, very nice mashAllah. these designs give a traditional touch…great idea!