The Poetry of Inayat Ali Khan

Posted on April 10, 2008
Filed Under >Shahran Asim, ATP Mushaira, Humor, Poetry

Shahran Asim

This post also contains two audio files of Inayat’s poems.

The reason I started wrote this post is because I saw a repost on Anwar Masood and I thought that we should also start introducing some more humor for ATP readers. I think these post serves a breath of fresh air in the current situation where we hear about violence everywhere.

Professor Inayat Ali Khan is one of my favorite poets and I think since ATP has started doing some humorous poetry (here, here and here), I thought that I should also continue to contribute in this area.

We have sad many sad events in the last year or so and some of these humorous blog posts serve as Oasis for the entertainment starved readers.

He was born in the State of Tonk in Rajisthan, India in 1935. He belonged to a family of poets where his father and mother also used to do humorous poetry.

He migrated to Pakistan in 1948. A professor by profession, earned his Matriculation degree in 1955 from Govt. High School Hyderabad, B.A. from City Arts College Hyderabad in 1959, B.Ed. from Sindh University, Jamshoro in 1960 and finally M.A. in Urdu also from Sindh University in 1962.

He has been an outspoken contributor the urdu dailies such as Jasarat and Ummat. The main subject of this poetry remains politics, current affairs and several social issues faced by the Pakistani society.

Let us listen to some Audio Files of Inayat Ali Khan’s poetry. Second audio file named ‘almiyay or tarbiyay’ is probably from the late 1980s.

(1) mazaaq hi mazaaq meiN

(2) almiyay aur tarbiyay

And now to end this post here is one more of his poem in Urdu script.

]

12 Comments on “The Poetry of Inayat Ali Khan”

1. Rasheed says:
    April 10th, 2008 7:08 pm

“Yeh Wardee kiyoon utarwaa dee Khuda nain”

Wah! Wah! Wah!

His wardee may have been removed for a very worthy cause of ‘Umra, but apparently if you read today’s CNN’s news story below, our Sadr Sahib and leaders, with all due respect, are slowly, but surely, disrobing our entire nation:

The American troops, according to the story, are to train Pakistani soldiers INSIDE Pakistan on how to fight within our own homeland against our own compatriots or fellow Muslims. One could say: Shame on our leaders. This time, they paid $300 million rather than the billions before. Anyone got crack?!!

I can imagine the puppeteers – their think tanks or strategists like Hadley, Rice, Wolfowitz, Armitage, Boucher, Rove, Clarke, Negroponte, laughing behind closed doors with bottles of beer saying: Oh Man! This Kiyani guy turned out to be far easier than our good-’ole buddy, Mushee!!!

Keep up enlightening us with the good poetry, like Anwar Mas’ood’s Qitah:

“Qabilay nafrat hai wuh kiyoon saaree dunya kay liyay?
    Aik lamhay kay liyay bhee uss nay yeh soacha naheen
    Wuh zamaanay bhar ko dehshat-gard kehtaa hai magar
    Koi dehshat-gard uss kee gard ko puhnchaa naheen!”

April 10th, 2008 9:26 pm

I believe Inayat Ali Khan has edited text books also. I remember seeing his name in editorial list of our Urdu books of Sindh Text Book Board.

There his name appeared as ‘Inayat Ali Khan Tonki’.

3. Saeed Ahmed says:
    April 11th, 2008 9:51 am

I have had the chance to listen to him live on couple of occasions. He is awesome…
    Yes he’s been on the editorial board of Sindh Text Book Board for quite some time.

4. iFaqeer says:
    April 11th, 2008 11:53 am

Well-deserved and well-written tribute, Shahran. I still remember his “World Cup hojayay, p-hir dhaik-hain gay” from the late 80s.

5. saleem niazi says:
    April 18th, 2008 4:55 am

I hv been a long time fan of Prof. Inayat’s poetry– since i was a child. he has a very subtle and a refined sense of humour. he keeps the distance between humour and vulgarity or mundane expression. i loved his poem ‘abhi na aao lot ker’ . fantastic expression of our typical pakistani household, our expediture paterns and the longing for more. keep it up Prof. sohib.

6. Syed Waliullah Husaini says:
    April 20th, 2008 6:58 am

Prof. Inayat Ali Khan is in Jeddah these days. He was with us on Wednesday 16th April, Thursday and Friday. He participated in Grand Mushaira at Pakistan International School Jeddah.I am amazed to see him fresh and full of enthusiasm. Most of the listeners were weeping after he presented his Naat in the honour of Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) on Friday gathering of about 400 persons. May Allah
    bless him and keep him in good health. Ameen.

7. Aijaz says:
    April 21st, 2008 6:14 am

Dear Shahran !

Wonderful !
    One aspect is how hilariously he delivers his poetry to audiance . Full of freshness and fun. Can any body post Dilwar figar’s ” marsiya-sehra mixed” I remeber starting with piyary mian ka aqd howa hai bahar main !!!!

I remeber in NED both Tonki sb and Figar sb were present in the same function !

-Aijaz

8. April 21st, 2008 8:05 am

Rasheed Sahib when one muslim brother kills another in the name of some so called jihad then don’t you think that Pakistanis who do not feel security should also learn how to fight these jihadis or your logical mind is closed. Think.

To keep quwatai akhuwati awam going in the right direction this is the only way kill those SOB’s and their proponants and pushers. Then again if in your mind quwatai akhuwatai awam is only based on one sect then your Allah may have merci on those who have no rights according to their belief.

May 1st, 2008 10:32 pm

A very informative article on Inayat Ali Khan here

10. Aurangzeb says:
    July 11th, 2008 3:08 pm

Thank you for this post!

I remember listening to him on PTV many years ago. I must have been in my early teens. When I saw a poet with a very religious looking beard I was not interested but as he started delivering his shers, I was glued. One particular verse I remember (apologies for errors of my memory):

apne mazhab say naata itna to jor sakta hoon
    shab-e-baraat ko pataakha to phor sakta hoon

Aurangzeb

11. KP Admin says:
    November 25th, 2008 1:04 pm

I have actually heard this in a mushaira long ago on PTV as well. I wonder if some of these guys are still alive. Good job ATP.

12. zakintosh says: