Prof. Jagan Nath Azad: Creator of Pakistan’s First National Anthem

Posted on June 5, 2009
Filed Under >Adil Najam, History, People, Poetry

I am very glad that some of our readers did recognize Prof. Jaganath Azad in our recent ATP Quiz. I am not surprised that others did not. As I had mentioned in the post, I would not have done so had it not been for a wonderful post by Zakintosh on his blog.

I am ashamed that until recently I did not know who Jagan Nath Azad was, or what he did. I am glad that I now know. I hope you are too.

First, the basics: Jagannath Azad (1918-2004) was an Urdu poet, a Punjabi Hindu, and a scholar of Iqbal’s poetry who, on the direct invitation of Mohammad Ali Jinnah, wrote Pakistan’s first national anthem, which remained Pakistan’s official anthem for its first year-and-half and whose first lines were as follows:

Aé sarzameené paak
Zarray teray haéñ aaj sitaaroñ se taabnaak
Roshan haé kehkashaañ se kaheeñ aaj tayree khaak
Aé sarzameené paak

Jagan Nath Azad was born in 1918 in Isa Khel in the Punjab (later of Atta Ullah Khan Eesakhelvi fame), he studied at Gordon College in Rawalpindi, and the University of the Punjab in Lahore. At the time of partition in 1947, he was a journalist and a poet living in Lahore. Mr.  Jinnah asked him to write a new national anthem for Pakistan. The anthem was used for 18 months, until it was replaced (after Mr. Jinnah’s death). Some time after writing the national anthem, he migrated to India, where from 1977 to 1980 he was a Professor of Urdu and head of Urdu department at the Unversity of Jammu. Prof. Azad was a noted authority on the works of Dr. Allama Mohammad Iqbal. He was awarded the President of Pakistan’s gold medal for his services to Urdu literature.

After reading Zakintosh’s post on Prof. Azad, I tried to find out more about him. I could not find any lines to the original anthem beyond the ones he quoted (which are also quoted elsewhere), but I did find much interesting information, including this very interesting speech by him on India-Pakistan relations:

hum nay zameen taqseem ki hai, dillouN ko to taqseem naheen ki

Some more detail on the anthem was available in a report in the Daily Times (June 2005):

Days before his death last year, Azad recalled, in an interview, the circumstances under which he was asked by Jinnah to write Pakistan’s national anthem: “In August 1947, when mayhem had struck the whole subcontinent, I was in Lahore working in a literary newspaper.

All my relatives had left for India and for me to think of leaving Lahore was painful. My Muslim friends requested me to stay. On August 9, 1947, there was a message from Jinnah Sahib through one of my friends at Radio Pakistan Lahore. He told me ‘Quaid-e-Azam wants you to write a national anthem for Pakistan.’”

Why him? “The answer to this question,” Azad said in the interview, “has to be understood by recalling the inaugural speech of Jinnah Sahib as Pakistan’s governor general. He said: “You will find that in the course of time, Hindus will cease to be Hindus and Muslims will cease to be Muslims, not in the religious sense because that is the personal faith of each individual, but in the political sense as citizens of the state.”

I asked my friends why Jinnah Sahib wanted me to write the anthem. They confided in me that “the Quaid wanted the anthem to be written by an Urdu-knowing Hindu.” Through this, I believe Jinnah Sahib wanted to sow the roots of secularism in a Pakistan.”

But the real gems were to be found in a very interesting article about Prof. Jagannath Azad in Dawn, by Ashfaque Naqvi, written in June 2004. It really is worth reading in full:

I saw Tilok Chand Mehroom when still at school in Lahore and was greatly impressed by his personality. A tall, robust, figure, dressed in a long coat with a ‘lungi’, he had long whiskers. He looked every inch a Muslim, but I was told that he was a Hindu and headmaster of a school in Mianwali, the place to which he belonged. And then I read his poems which happened to be in our Urdu textbooks. One was about the pathetic condition of the last resting place of the Mughal empress, Nur Jahan. I still remember two of its touching lines:

Din ko bhi yahan shab ki siyahi ka saman heh
Kehtey hein keh yeh maqbara-e-noor-e-jahan heh

Well, that was long before partition. Even in those days his son, Isakhel born, Jagan Nath Azad was counted among the prominent poets of the Punjab. It is not commonly known that after the establishment of Pakistan, the first national song (qaumi tarana as we like to call it) broadcast from Radio Pakistan was not by Hafeez Jallandhri or Faiz Ahmed Faiz but by a Hindu called Jagan Nath Azad. It ran like this:

Aey sarzameen-i-pak
Zarrey terey hein aaj sitaron sey tabnak
Roshan heh kehkashan sey kahin aaj teri khak

His devotion to Allama Iqbal has been intriguing for many. But then, he has himself said:

Merey yaqeen ko dekh amal par nazar na kar
Mera yaqeen heh daulat-eeman liye huey
Ahl-i-haram mujhey na hiqarat se dekhna
Kafir hun eik qalb-e-Musalman liye huey

I am grateful to Dr Syed Moeenur Rehman for sending me books which keep adding to my knowledge. It is never too late to learn, as they say. I knew a lot about Jagan Nath Azad but the book sent by him tells me much more about him. It is the thesis written by one of his students, Aasma Aziz, for her master’s in Urdu. Somehow, it has been printed and produced by Crescent House Publications of Jammu in Occupied Kashmir. It only deals with Jagan Nath Azad as a prose writer.

Third in line after the more famous Azads – Maulana Muhammad Hussain and Maulana Abul Kalam – Jagan Nath was born in 1918. After doing his MA in Persian from the Punjab University in 1944, he served in different capacities in some Urdu and English newspapers. He also remained assistant editor of the important Urdu journal, Adabi Dunya.

After serving for a while as a lecturer of Urdu at Lahore’s DAV College, he moved to Delhi after partition. Securing a job in the Press Information Department, he was posted to Srinagar. Offered the professorship of Urdu in the Jammu University, he moved there in 1977. After retirement, he continues to be there as professor emeritus for life.

Jagan Nath Azad has been attending mushairas and delivering lectures and has written about most of his foreign trips. However, while writing about Pakistan he never calls it a foreign country. Even Gen. Ziaul Haq told him that he should consider it to be his own country and come here whenever he felt like it. He openly accepts that the reception he receives in Pakistan is totally different from what he experiences in other countries. His love for Pakistan is evident from his verse:

Sham key saey mein Jamna ki ravani dekh kar
Mujhko aey Azad Ravi ka saman yad aa gaya

Jagan Nath Azad has won several awards from Pakistan, India, Russia and other countries. For the naats composed by him, he was given the Seerat-i-Pak Award by Bradford Publications of UK. Not only that, Jagan Nath Azad has written a long poem condemning the destruction of the Babri Mosque. Says he:

Hamarey dil ko tora hey imarat ko nahin tora
Khabasat ki bhi had hoti hey aey had torney waley

The books authored by Jagan Nath Azad include some on literary criticism while about eleven, both in English and Urdu, are on Iqbal. It would be interesting to know that soon after partition, Iqbal was almost banned in India. It was only through the efforts of Jagan Nath Azad that Iqbal is as highly respected there today as Khusrau, Meer or Ghalib. Even in Pakistan, it was Jagan Nath Azad’s whisper into the ears of Gen Ziaul Haq that led to the establishment of the Iqbal Chair in the Punjab University.

Many Indians, like Iqbal Singh and Hira Lal Chopra, have done extensive work on Iqbal. Dr Chaman Lal Raina has gone to the extent of converting his verses into Hindi. On his part, Dr Rafiq Zakaria, former chancellor of the Urdu University in Aligarh, has written a full book under the title, Iqbal: The Poet and the Politician, in which he has expressed surprise why Iqbal is not revered in India.

It goes to the credit of Jagan Nath Azad that he has all along tried to emphasise the fact that great and durable poetry transcends all barriers of caste, creed and colour. Being a humanist, Iqbal’s poetry echoes the sentiments and feelings of humanity at large. There is no denying that he has championed the cause of the exploited and oppressed people of the world.

I hope you read the above in full. Even as I read it for the third time, I am amazed at much of what is written here.

After reading that – especially the verses, one was left wanting more. So, let me leave you with this video of Prof. Azad from a mushaira – including some remarks and verses about Pakistan:

60 Comments on “Prof. Jagan Nath Azad: Creator of Pakistan’s First National Anthem”

1. ASAD says:
    June 5th, 2009 1:35 am

WOW. I am spellbound. How much we do not know. Thank you for sharing this. I still have to digest all this information before I really comment. But amazing poetry also and all the information.

2. Jalal HB says:
    June 5th, 2009 1:41 am

I was pleased to see mention of one great man, almost forgotten in making history of Pakistan, Prof J N Azad. And I must thank you for keeping his name alive as the first person who wrote the national anthem of pakistan specially on the request of the Quaid.

While I was writing my section of national anthem in my website Pakistanpaedia some three years back, I also included his name to pay homage to him and keep the history as it happened and not as so many of us know otherwise.

Please see the Making of the national anthem of Pakistan in my website at:

Thanks once again for keeping name of Prof J N Azad alive, duly attributed.

3. Saba Ali says:
    June 5th, 2009 2:09 am

Do you have the words of the full tarana by Mr. Azad.

Excellent post. This is the type of educational stuff that makes ATP a cut above all the rest of blogs.

4. Asma says:
    June 5th, 2009 5:45 am

Amazing article. I did know that present anthem was not Pakistan’s first anthem but never heard about Prof. Jagan Nath Azad. Another interesting interview of his I found here.

Quaid e Azam tried his best to make a country in which people will live without religious and ethnic discrimination. Unfortunately, Pakistan is still struggling ‘coz of these two factors. Ethnic discrimination made it cry once and religious extremism is playing its part now. Sad.

Thanks again for sharing real legends.

BTW, does anyone else here think that present anthem is more of martial nature? IMHO, its very well balanced anthem.

5. Naeem says:
    June 5th, 2009 6:53 am

What a great post. How informative. Thank you for educating us on our history. I am very glad that Pakistan did honor him with a medal. Whatever his final choice, his love for Pakistan still is there as we can see in his poetry here.

6. sheepoo says:
    June 5th, 2009 9:00 am

Amazing!
    Inspiring!
    Nostalgic!

Thanks for posting this piece

7. MQ says:
    June 5th, 2009 9:01 am

Interesting! I never knew that there was also another, the first, anthem of Pakistan, and that it was written by a Hindu poet. It clearly shows that Jinnah did not look at things through the Islamic prism, as we are made to believe by the current crop of “maulanas” and some of the “media mujahideen”.

By the way, even the current Pakistani anthem is devoid of any religious vocabulary. In fact, it clearly says at one place that system of governance of Pakistan (Pak sarzameen ka nizam) will be the strength and brotherhood of its people . It did not occur to anyone then to insert “sharia” or whatever in the anthem. Obviously, the sharia bug bit Pakistan much later.

8. Sid Harth says:
    June 5th, 2009 9:21 am

There is nothing new about this information. I was familiar with it for a very long time. Religious fanatics cannot write or compose the national anthems.

…and I am Sid arth

9. Aliya says:
    June 5th, 2009 10:04 am

Very informative and excellent that you are highlighting this. Although on this I am glad that the govt of Pakistan has honored him for his services and he had no bitterness.

I would love to find out the words of the entire anthem he wrote if possible.

10. Aliya says:
    June 5th, 2009 10:05 am

By the way, loved the poetry from him he recited in the second video.

11. Adnan Ahmad says:
    June 5th, 2009 10:37 am

I commented in the previous post about the tragedy that continues to unfold from Jinnah

12. June 5th, 2009 10:51 am

It’s very nice to know Prof Nath. Atta man.

13. Sawan says:
    June 5th, 2009 5:54 pm

Thank you for digging this out for us. I knew Prof. Jagan Nath Azad as an Urdu literary person but did not know that he wrote the first National Anthem for Pakistan. Thank you for sharing the forgotten history.

14. Maarif Sohail says:
    June 6th, 2009 1:09 am

I wonder if people are aware of the fact that Prof. Jagan Naath Azad Sahab had married a Muslim lady and apparently reverted to Islam.

15. AftaabAnsari says:
    June 6th, 2009 1:28 am

Maarif, where on earth did you get the information that Prof. Azad converted to Islam?
    I’m certain that’s not true – Azad died a Hindu.
    His wife’s name was Bimla, and his son is Adarsh – it’s a Hindu family.

See link below:

Please source your statements properly. Also, the obvious – why did he leave Pakistan unless he had to because of anti-Hindu violence in 1947-48?

16. AftaabAnsari says:
    June 6th, 2009 1:43 am

My fellow Pakistanis,

This wonderful posting by Adilsaab is a poignant reminder to us all to cherish the contributions of our fellow Pakistanis, Muslim or otherwise.

Jinnah’s secular vision has been laid waste by the military-mullah complex. Historians will debate what he wanted (secular/theocratic), but the fact is he was simply too sick and exhausted to implement whatever his vision was.

Ultimately, it’s up to us to create a secular state that does not hang a sword over the necks of Hindus and Christians by means of the blasphemy laws. Zardari is too weak to do this, Nawaz never will and Musharraf couldn’t.

Adilsaab, please

1. Highlight in a posting sometime the need for us to reconstruct the Pakistani Hindu temples demolished in ’92 as a reaction to the Babri crime across the border.

2. Highlight in a posting sometime the need for
    us to IMMEDIATELY REMOVE the derogatory references to Hindus is Pakistani textbooks – this truly makes me ashamed of my country’s state-supported bigotry.

Aftaab
    Proud Pakistani

17. Mohammed Hassanali says:
    June 6th, 2009 4:08 am

I wonder when the time will come when Hindus will cease to be Hindus and Muslims will cease to Muslims, ofcourse not in terms of faith but in terms of one nation, not just in Pakistan but also in India and Bangladesh.
    When that day comes (and I am sure that day will come even in Bangladesh AND Pakistan and hopefully sooner than later) we the people of Indian Sub-continent will be in a commanding position to lead the world.

18. Rizwan Khan says:
    June 6th, 2009 4:16 am

“Also, the obvious – why did he leave Pakistan unless he had to because of anti-Hindu violence in 1947-48?”

In fact if you listen to the video link in the article Prof. Jagannath himself has clarified this point. He says that twice he came back to Pakistan and was advised to return to India by his well wishers because they were afraid for his life in Pakistan.

19. A.Z. Kifayat says:
    June 6th, 2009 11:14 am

I am very glad to see this story at this site. You are doing good work by highlighting this.

I have had pleasure of meeting Prof. Azad a few times before he died during mushairas in the gulf area. He was a delightful man. And he really loved Pakistan and Pakistanis. He had no bitterness at all. I did not speak to him much about the anthem but we had many conversations on his life.

First, he remained his own religion and this is nonsense about his converting. I do not know why anyone would like to spread that lie.

Second, He did not leave Pakistan under any danger. Many many people who migrated (including me) from one country to other did so many months and years after 1947 because once things settled we found where most of or families had decided to go, where work was, and so on and that is how decisions were made. He made clear to us in many conversations that he moved because many of his friends and family had decided to settle in India and so did he. Remember, for him and my own family also, we all had hoped that things will eventually settle and people in the two countries would move around more easily than they have.

I am very glad to see him being honored here. But please do not use a dead man to advance propaganda like in some comments. Thank you.

20. AftaabAnsari says:
    June 6th, 2009 3:27 pm

A. Z.,

That’s wonderful that you met him!

Adilsaab/anyone else, can we PLEASE possibly get the full text of the anthem composed by Azadsaab?

I have searched long and hard but it’s unavailable anywhere online.

Aftaab
    Proud Pakistani

21. Gorki says:
    June 6th, 2009 3:40 pm

Like many readers, I did not know anything about Professor Azad either till a friend recently wrote about him to me in a private mail.

There has been much discussion lately in the press; on several South Asian blogs and in cyberspace whether Mr. Jinnah was a communalist or a secular person and what his stated and unstated vision was, for the nation of Pakistan.

His detractors both on the left and the right, dismiss his August 11th 1947 speech extolling a secular vision as nothing more than a speech. However, his actions such as deliberately asking a Hindu Pakistani to write the national anthem speaks louder than the words of his critics and also shows him not only as a secular person but also a man of a great vision. Indeed it is a tragedy of colossal proportions that Mr. Jinnah died so soon.

However, nations can survive a great deal of tragedy and bad luck provided it has two things; one, a national spirit that is truly derived from the vision of great men and two, people willing to dig deep to restore that vision even though tyrants may have attempted to bury that spirit deep.

Not being a Pakistani myself, I do not feel it is proper for me to name any names in the list of tyrants but certainly can count people like my friend (who wrote to me about Jagannath Azad) and Professor Najam as those kindred spirits who are currently engaged in restoring the Pakistan of Jinnah

22. Indscribe says:
    June 6th, 2009 6:27 pm

I think I was the first who cracked this ATP quiz. Let me pat my back myself.

I had the honour to meett Azad Sahab a couple of times. His nazm on the demolition of Babri Masjid is a masterpiece. Nobody else could write it except him.

Azad’s greatness lies not just in the fact that he was the biggest ambassador for Iqbal and Iqbaliyaat in India, but also he spoke of Iqbal when no one dared to take his name in India.

Immeidately after partition, it was a different and hostile period. Muslims didn’t take his name as Iqbal was termed a Islamic poet who conceived the idea of Pakistan.

In those times, Jagannath Azad, not just took Iqbal’s name but he also ensured that Iqbal’s name was taken at every forum with the respect it deserves.

He championed Iqbal like none and later the fiza got changed as Allama’s place was restored, not just as the man who wrote Tarana-e-Hindi but also a towering poet of the sub-continent.

Nearly 2-3 years back I had written about Azad on a post on my blog where I had mentioned his Tarana for Pakistan, and specially his Nazm, ‘Bharat ke Musalmaan’ written after partition, which urged Muslims to forget the past and claim the nation as their own. http://www.anindianmuslim.com/2006/07/jagannath-azads-verse-bharat-ke.html

Azad was himself a wonderful poet. Jagannath Azad didn’t embrace Islam, as a comment suggets. I think he got confused with Malik Ram.
    —————————————————————–
    As far as information about the first Tarana-e-Pakistan is concerned, it is not so little-known either. Those interested in Urdu literature are commonly aware about this fact.

At least Urdu literature is still not divided in India and Pakistan. However, the Urdu literature walas are perhaps not as net-savvy.

The literary magazines keep publishing ‘khusoosi goshas’ on writers of the past and such information also.

It’s not just Faiz or Faraz (or Insha) but poets like Iftikhar Arif or even those of the recent past like Irfan Sattar are the poets of entire Urdu world. Just like Indian poets Abdul Ahad Saaz, Unfortunately I don’t find literary Urdu magazines from Pakistan available online.

23. Neena says:
    June 6th, 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks Adil for such an enlightening post.

Indscribe-you said Unfortunately I don

24. Syed Hasan Shahid Bukhari says:
    June 7th, 2009 1:44 am

The Idea of a “Secular” Pakistan, I repeat, is the Negation of the very Ideals of Pakistan.

Because, Pakistan was created, for the Muslims of the British Ruled Indian Subcontinent…

Do you fail to understand that there would have been no sense in having a Separate home land for the Muslims… A Pakistan based on ethenic, economic, political, or geographic etc. differences with the Hindus.

We needed a separate homeland, because wof the Need of our Identity… Based in the world’s greatest Heritage.

25. AftaabAnsari says:
    June 7th, 2009 1:56 am

So, Bukharisaab, a state for muslims must always = an Islamic state? God forbid. I am a secular person and believe in strict religion/state separation for our Pakistan.

In 1947 the situation was different; violence and destruction threatened to destroy “India”, as muslims and hindus indeed are two radically different groups with two different cultures and traditions.

We should model ourselves on Turkey, Indonesia or even – somewhat shamefully – BD. Secularism may not be a “negation” of your Zia-esque “Ideals” of Pakistan, but I believe we should look to the future and leave Sharia behind in the history where it belongs.

I am NOT enthused with your idea of a Salafist Pakistan.

26. Indscribe says:
    June 7th, 2009 5:18 am

A couplet of Jagannath Azad as tribute:

Kya khabar kyaa baat uske kufr meN poshiida thii
    Ek kaafir kyuuN haram vaaloN ko yaad aaya bohat

Neena:

I really don’t know because I live in India. Until a few years back I often saw magazines like Tashkil, Aaj etc from Pakistan but no longer. Even the literary columns of major Pakistani newspapers don’t publish such columns.

In fact, I find a big disconnect between the cyber-savvy generation of Pakistan and the rest. Forget literature, even popular writings aren’t discussed much.

Like in India we hear so much about MA Rahat and Muhiuddin Nawab, but I don’t find even wikipedia pages on them or any proper articles on these writers.

Is it class difference–English speakers who occasionally love to hum a nazm or recall a couplet, and the Urdu speakers who read the digests, literary magazines and the papers.

The most encouraging thing about Pakistan is that it has such a huge Urdu-knowing populace. In India, the percentage of those who are able to read the Urdu script is declining.

Still, there are 25-30 major literary magazines published by individuals, state governments’ academies and publishing houses. I am sure there must be magazines dedicated solely to literature in Pakistan. However, they are probably not net-friendly and someone should help them in setting up websites for them.

27. AMIN GANI says:
    June 8th, 2009 10:18 am

I am surprised,astonished and wonder after hearing ,listening and came to know about speech of mr jinnah in first session of our constitution assembly,nomination of a hindu schedule cast as our first law minister who also chaired the session.,also saw entire histery of pakistan,a thought comming to my mind that why pakistan was demanded and why lacs of people and unprecidental sacrifices given by muslims when we we were living since centuries in secular subcontinent amicably with other people of different faiths.I conclude that we muslims were cheated and leaders exploited Islam and still expliting .

28. Sameer says:
    June 9th, 2009 10:25 am

Mr. Mohd. Hassanali,
    It’s better to live with the reality and accept the fact that India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are three different nations; have different cultures, language, accents or dialects. Indian muslims have different mindset and in their thinkings in comaprison to their counterparts in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh. I am sure none of pakis are going to accept this openly but that will running away from the reality.

29. Dr Abdul jami khan says:
    June 11th, 2009 10:38 am

Evolution/linguistics and Aryan-Semitic biblical racism and
    India’s partition.
    Dear all, We must look frwd because that is the reality but must learn from from past; British created “hindu’s hindi” and muslim’s urdu,based on scripts;and we all know all three scripts ,english,hindi/sanskrit,urdu/arabic originated by mesopotamian farmers some 6ooo yers ago; a well esablished fact;Also is well documented is the shared origin of indo-arabo-
    european languages from africa and mideast farmers. These ideas in my book ” urdu/hindi an artificial divide –african
    heritage–etc (reviewed in newspapers,tv shows) has changed
    some hearts; British had concocted Indo-euro-aryan’s origin
    from Noah’s son Japhet of bible ,now fully accepted as FICTIION;In fact “semitic/Aryan “delusion is the root of all the
    human tragedies we have seen in past 2 00 years. We must
    realise that
    the indian culture is not hindu nor arabic one is islamic;they
    evolved as secular earthy phenonmenon and later hyjacked by
    priestly delusions/fundamentalism of,jewish,hindu and muslim
    variety;Cultural history based on evolution can bind india again
    ; The current tragadies may be a silver lining for indo-pak
    reorganisation and peace of heart/shared culture/shared future.

30. Adnan Ahmad says:
    June 11th, 2009 11:17 am

It is a valid point that both Urdu and Hindi get labeled as the Hindu or Muslim languages whereas no one labels Tamil or Marathi or Sindhi as such. We are talking about changing people’s psyche and that may take generations to come.

31. Muhammad Obaidullah says:
    August 13th, 2009 10:39 am

First of all I want to congratulate the author of this article the one in Dawn for such commendable work they have done. I was amazed that I din

32. Maskeenel says:
    September 11th, 2009 11:05 am

Sitam ki baat hai keh hum pooray tariqai say Azad Sahib to sehra bhi naheen saktai.

Just a line from his composition does no justice to Mr. Azad.
    What is wrong with the historians that they don’t even have the full version of Pakistan’s 1st. Qumi Tarana.

Please trace it and publish it for those who have not been privileged to this historical event. Thanks

33. Farrukh says:
    September 27th, 2009 10:16 am

Don’t know if you saw this Prof. Najam. But Zeenews did a full news item based on this post by you.

Am so glad that you and ATP keep raising these things that we must not forget.

34. November 8th, 2009 9:55 am

thanks. thanks and ever thanks-shakespeare. iam happily shell-shocked as an Indian.

35. January 16th, 2010 8:27 pm

Is it possible to post audio of first anthem of Pakistan by Jagan Nath Azad on this site ?

36. Sufyan says:
    April 2nd, 2010 8:23 pm

What a personality. Thanks
    Is it possible to get audio of first anthem of Pakistan by Dr. Jagan Nath Azad ?

37. Bin Ismail says:
    April 2nd, 2010 11:37 pm

Let ALL THINGS PAKISTAN take the lead in revealing the entire text of the first National Anthem of Pakistan – the anthem to which Quaid-e Azam rose in respect. Radio Pakistan should be having a recording in its archives.

38. rao zafar iqbal says:
    April 3rd, 2010 2:10 am

oh what a great anthem was this. can its audio be published on this site. thanks professor azad.

39. Nusrat Pasha says:
    April 3rd, 2010 10:05 am

There’s no harm in having two anthems simultaneously. “Pak sarzameen shad baad”, because it has been our anthem for six decades, and “Aye sarzameen-e pak” because it was the first and original anthem, because it was written on the personal request of Quaid-e Azam and because this is the anthem that was played till the demise of the father of this nation.

The original anthem, should in any case be revived. A solution could be to have both anthems for separate occasions – but Quaid-e Azam’s legacy should not be allowed to fade away into oblivion.

40. haseeb says:
    April 21st, 2010 4:58 am

We must revive this national anthem, even if in parallel to the current one.
    it is more important because it is in URDU, i.e, our national language, whereas the current anthem is in Persian.

41. Lubna says:
    May 30th, 2010 1:39 am

Very informative. I had never known of this.

42. Bakhat says:
    June 6th, 2010 4:56 am

He did not write Pakistan’s first national anthem.

43. Zafar says:
    June 6th, 2010 8:44 am

Bakhat has already given the link, in todays JANG, to an article by Dr. Safdar Mehmood.

I have revisited this post after reading the above said article and we all would appreciate if you repost this article with the latest and correct information.

It is really important for the credibility of this blog especially because the name of this blog has been mentioned in the abvoe article.

Looking forward to a repost on this subject.

44. Saad M. Waraich says:
    June 6th, 2010 10:08 am

Interesting article, but unfortunately not properly researched and not true. There is a very comprehensive article by Dr. Safdar Mahmood in today’s Nawa-i-waqt and Jang of 6/6/2010 which refutes the above theory.

He has quoted three different and indenpendent sources that deny Prof. Azad ever meeting the Quaid. Moreover, there is no record in the GOP’s archives of Azad ever getting any sort of award.

Br
    SMW

45. Sameer says:
    June 6th, 2010 11:33 am

Dear Adil,
    Kindly read article by Dr Safdar Mahmood in today’s Jang and do some search, and reply. Your and the website’s name too has been mentioned in it. Now, if you have something conncerete in this respect then plz bring it forward.

46. Sameer says:
    June 6th, 2010 11:38 am

اس کالم کامقصد صرف اور صرف سچ کی تلاش ہے نہ کہ کسی بحث میں الجھنا۔ میں اپنی حد تک کھلے ذہن کے ساتھ سچ کی تلاش کے تقاضے پورے کرنے کے بعد یہ سطور لکھ رہا ہوں۔ پچھلے دنوں میڈیا (پرنٹ اور الیکٹرانک) پر یہ دعویٰ کیا گیا کہ قائداعظم نے قیام پاکستان قبل 9اگست 1947 کو جگن ناتھ آزاد کو بلاکر پاکستان کاترانہ لکھنے کو کہا۔ انہوں نے پانچ دنوں میں ترانہ لکھ دیا جو قائداعظم کی منظوری کے بعد آزادی کے اعلان کے ساتھ ہی ریڈیو پاکستان سے نشر ہوااور پھر یہ ترانہ 18ماہ تک پاکستان میں بجتا رہا۔ جب 23فروری 1949کو حکومت ِ پاکستان نے قومی ترانے کے لئے کمیٹی بنائی تو یہ ترانہ بند کردیا گیا۔اس انکشاف کے بعد مجھے بہت سے طلبہ اوربزرگ شہریوں کے فون آئے جو حقیقت حال جاننا چاہتے تھے لیکن میرا جواب یہی تھا کہ بظاہر یہ بات قرین قیاس نہیں ہے لیکن میں تحقیق کے بغیر اس پر تبصرہ نہیں کروں گا۔ چنانچہ سب سے پہلے میں نے ان سکالروں سے رابطے کئے جنہوں نے قائداعظم پر تحقیق کرتے اورلکھتے عمر گزار دی ہے۔ ان سب کاکہنا تھا کہ یہ شوشہ ہے، بالکل بے بنیاد اور ناقابل یقین دعویٰ ہے لیکن میں ان کی بات بلاتحقیق ماننے کے لئے تیار نہیں تھا۔ قائداعظم اور جگن ناتھ کے حوالے سے یہ دعوے کرنے والے حضرات نے انٹرنیٹ پر کئی ”بلاگز“ (Blogs) میں اپنا نقطہ نظر اور من پسند معلومات فیڈ کرکے محفوظ کر دی تھیں تاکہ انٹرنیٹ کااستعمال کرنے والوں کوکنفیوز کیاجاسکے اور ان ساری معلومات کی بنیاد کوئی ٹھوس تحقیق نہیں تھی بلکہ سنی سنائی یاپھر جگن ناتھ آزاد کے صاحبزادے چندر کے آزاد کے انکشافات تھے جن کی حمایت میں چندر کے پاس کوئی ثبوت نہیں ہے۔
    سچ کی تلاش میں، میں جن حقائق تک پہنچا ان کاذکر بعد میں کروں گا۔ پہلے تمہید کے طور پریہ ذکرکرنا ضروری سمجھتا ہوں کہ جگن ناتھ آزاد معروف شاعر تلوک چند کا بیٹا تھا ۔ وہ 1918 میں عیسیٰ خیل میانوالی میں پیدا ہوا۔ اس نے 1937 میں گارڈن کالج راولپنڈی سے بی اے اور 1944 میں پنجاب یونیورسٹی سے ایم اے فارسی کیا۔ تھوڑاساعرصہ”ادبی دنیا“ سے منسلک رہنے کے بعد اس نے لاہور میں ”جئے ہند“نامی اخبار میں نوکری کرلی۔ قیام پاکستان کے بعد وہ ستمبر میں ہندوستان ہجرت کر گیا۔ اکتوبر میں ایک بار لاہور آیا اور فرقہ وارانہ فسادات کے خوف سے مستقل طور پر ہندوستان چلاگیا۔ وِکی پیڈیا (Wikipedia) اور All things Pakistan کے بلاگز میں یہ دعویٰ موجود ہے کہ قائداعظم  نے اپنے دوست جگن ناتھ آزاد کو 9اگست کو بلا کر پاکستان کاترانہ لکھنے کے لئے پانچ دن دیئے۔ قائداعظم نے اسے فوراً منظور کیا اور یہ ترانہ اعلان آزاد ی کے بعد ریڈیو پاکستان پر چلایاگیا۔ چندر نے یہ دعویٰ بھی کیا ہے کہ حکومت ِ پاکستان نے جگن کو 1979 میں صدارتی اقبال میڈل عطا کیا۔
    میراپہلا ردعمل کہ یہ بات قرین قیاس نہیں ہے ، کیوں تھا؟ ہر بڑے شخص کے بارے میں ہمارے ذہنوں میں ایک تصویر ہوتی ہے اور جو بات اس تصویرکے چوکھٹے میں فٹ نہ آئے انسان اسے بغیر ثبوت ماننے کو تیار نہیں ہوتا۔ قائداعظم سرتاپا قانونی اور آئینی شخصیت تھے۔ اس ضمن میں سینکڑوں واقعات کاحوالہ دے سکتاہوں۔ اس لئے یہ بات میری سمجھ سے بالا تر تھی کہ قائداعظم کسی کو ترانہ لکھنے کے لئے کہیں اور پھر کابینہ، حکومت یاماہرین کی رائے لئے بغیر اسے خود ہی آمرانہ انداز میں منظور کر دیں جبکہ ان کا اردو، فارسی زبان اور اردو شاعری سے واجبی سا تعلق تھا۔ میرے لئے دوسری ناقابل یقین صورت یہ تھی کہ قائداعظم نے عمر کامعتدبہ حصہ بمبئی اور دہلی میں گزارا۔ ان کے سوشل سرکل میں زیادہ تر سیاسی شخصیات، مسلم لیگی سیاستدان، وکلا وغیرہ تھے۔ پاکستان بننے کے وقت ان کی عمر 71 سال کے لگ بھگ تھی۔ جگن ناتھ آزاد اس وقت 29 سال کے غیرمعروف نوجوان تھے اور لاہور میں قیام پذیر تھے پھر وہ پاکستان مخالف اخبار ”جئے ہند“ کے ملازم تھے۔ ان کی قائداعظم سے دوستی تو کجا تعارف بھی ممکن نظر نہیں آتا۔
    پھر مجھے خیال آیا کہ یہ تو محض تخیلاتی باتیں ہیں جبکہ مجھے تحقیق کے تقاضے پورے کرنے اور سچ کا کھوج لگانے کے لئے ٹھوس شواہد کی ضرورت ہے۔ ذہنی جستجو نے رہنمائی کی اورکہاکہ قائداعظم کوئی عام شہری نہیں تھے جن سے جو چاہے دستک دے کرمل لے۔ وہ مسلمانان ہند و پاکستان کے قائداعظم اور جولائی 1947 سے پاکستان کے نامزد گورنر جنرل تھے۔ ان کے ملاقاتیوں کاکہیں نہ کہیں ریکارڈ موجود ہوگا۔ سچ کی تلاش کے اس سفر میں مجھے 1989میں چھپی ہوئی پروفیسر احمد سعید کی ایک کتاب مل گئی جس کا نام ہے Visitors of the Quaid-e-Azam ۔ احمد سعید نے بڑی محنت سے تاریخ وار قائداعظم کے ملاقاتیوں کی تفصیل جمع کی ہے جو 25اپریل 1948تک کے عرصے کااحاطہ کرتی ہے۔ اس کتاب میں قائداعظم کے ملاقاتیوں میں جگن ناتھ آزاد کاکہیں بھی ذکر نہیں ہے۔ ”پاکستان زندہ باد“ کے مصنف سید انصار ناصری نے بھی قائداعظم کی کراچی آمد 7اگست شام سے لے کر 15 اگست تک کی مصروفیات کاجائزہ لیا ہے۔ اس میں بھی آزاد کا ذکر کہیں نہیں۔ سید انصار ناصری کو یہ تاریخی اعزاز حاصل ہے کہ انہوں نیقائداعظم کی 3جون 1947 والی تقریرکااردو ترجمہ آل انڈیاریڈیو سے نشر کیاتھا اور قائداعظم کی مانند آخر میں پاکستان زندہ باد کا نعرہ بھی بلند کیا تھا۔ لیکن سچی بات یہ ہے کہ پھر بھی میر ی تسلی نہیں ہوئی۔ دل نے کہا کہ جب 7اگست 1947 کو قائداعظم بطور نامزد گورنر جنرل دلی سے کراچی آئے تو ان کے ساتھ ان کے اے ڈی سی بھی تھے۔ اے ڈی سی ہی ملاقاتوں کا سارااہتمام کرتا اور اہم ترین عینی شاہد ہوتا ہے اورصرف وہی اس سچائی کی تلاش پر مہرثبت کرسکتا ہے۔ جب قائداعظم کراچی اترے تو جناب عطا ربانی بطور اے ڈی سی ان کے ساتھ تھے اور پھرساتھ ہی رہے۔ خدا کاشکر ہے کہ وہ زندہ ہیں لیکن ان تک رسائی ایک کٹھن کام تھا۔ خاصی جدوجہد کے بعد میں بذریعہ نظامی صاحب ان تک پہنچا۔ جناب عطا ربانی صاحب کا جچا تلا جواب تھا کہ جگن ناتھ آزاد نامی شخص نہ کبھی قائداعظم سے ملا اور نہ ہی میں نے کبھی ان کانام قائداعظم سے سنا۔ اب اس کے بعد اس بحث کا دروازہ بند ہوجاناچاہئے تھا کہ جگن ناتھ آزا د کو قائداعظم نے بلایا۔ اگست 1947 میں شدید فرقہ وارانہ فسادات کے سبب جگن ناتھ آزاد لاہور میں مسلمان دوستوں کے ہاں پناہ لیتے پھررہے تھے اور ان کو جان کے لالے پڑے ہوئے تھے۔ان حالات میں ان کی کراچی میں قائداعظم سے ملاقات کاتصو ر بھی محال ہے۔ یہی وجہ ہے کہ خود جگن ناتھ آزاد نے کبھی یہ دعویٰ نہیں کیا حالانکہ وہ پاکستان میں کئی دفعہ آئے حتیٰ کہ وہ علامہ اقبال کی صد سالہ کانفرنس کی تقریبات میں بھی مدعو تھے جہاں انہوں نے مقالات بھی پیش کئے جو اس حوالے سے چھپنے والی کتاب میں بھی شامل ہیں ۔ عادل انجم نے جگن ناتھ آزاد کے ترانے کاشوشہ چھوڑا تھا۔ انہوں نے چندر آزاد کے حوالے سے دعویٰ کیا ہے کہ جگن ناتھ آزاد کو 1979 میں صدارتی اقبال ایوارڈ دیا گیا۔ یہ سراسر جھوٹ ہے۔ میں نے صدارتی اقبال ایوارڈ کی ساری فہرست دیکھی ہے اس میں آزاد کا نام نہیں۔ پھر میں کابینہ ڈویژن پہنچا اور قومی ایوارڈ یافتگان کا ریکارڈ کھنگالا۔ اس میں بھی آزاد کا نام نہیں ہے۔ وہ جھوٹ بول کر سچ کوبھی پیار آ جائے۔ اب آیئے اس بحث کے دوسرے حصے کی طرف… ریڈیو پاکستان کے آرکائیوز گواہ ہیں کہ جگن ناتھ آزاد کاکوئی ترانہ یا ملی نغمہ یا کلام 1949 تک ریڈیو پاکستان سے نشر نہیں ہوا اور 15اگست کی درمیانی شب جب آزادی کے اعلان کے ساتھ پہلی بار ریڈیو پاکستان کی صداگونجی تو اس کے بعد احمد ندیم قاسمی کا یہ ملی نغمہ نشر ہوا۔
    پاکستان بنانے والے، پاکستان مبارک ہو
    ان دنوں قاسمی صاحب ریڈیو میں سکرپٹ رائٹر تھے۔ 15اگست کو پہلا ملی نغمہ مولانا ظفر علی خان کا نشر ہوا جس کا مصرعہ تھا ”توحید کے ترانے کی تانیں اڑانے والے“
    میں نے یہیں تک اکتفا نہیں کیا۔ اس زمانے میں ریڈیو کے پروگرام اخبارات میں چھپتے تھے۔ میں نے 14 اگست سے لے کر اواخر اگست تک اخبارات دیکھے۔ جگن ناتھ آزاد کا نام کسی پروگرام میں بھی نہیں ہے۔ سچ کی تلاش میں، میں ریڈیو پاکستان آرکائیو ز سے ہوتے ہوئے ریڈیو کے سینئر ریٹائرڈ لوگوں تک پہنچا۔ ان میں خالد شیرازی بھی تھے جنہوں نے 14اگست سے21 اگست 1947 تک کے ریڈیو پروگراموں کا چارٹ بنایا تھا۔ انہوں نے سختی سے اس دعویٰ کی نفی کی۔ پھر میں نے ریڈیو پاکستان کا رسالہ ”آہنگ“ ملاحظہ کروایا جس میں سارے پروگراموں کی تفصیلات شائع ہوتی ہیں۔ یہ رسالہ باقاعدگی سے 1948 سے چھپنا شروع ہوا۔ 18ماہ تک آزاد کے ترانے کے بجنے کی خبردینے والے براہ کرم ریڈیو پاکستان اکادمی کی لائبریری میں موجود آہنگ کی جلدیں دیکھ لیں اور اپنے موقف سے تائب ہوجائیں۔ میں اس بحث میں الجھنا نہیں چاہتا کہ اگر آزادی کا ترانہ ہمارا قومی ترانہ تھا اور وہ 1949 تک نشر ہوتارہا تو پھر اس کا کسی پاکستانی کتاب، کسی سرکاری ریکارڈ میں بھی ذکر کیوں نہیں ہے اور اس کے سننے والے کہاں چلے گئے؟ اگر جگن ناتھ آزاد نے قائداعظم کے کہنے پر ترانہ لکھا تھا تو انہوں نے اس منفرد اعزاز کا کبھی ذکرکیو ں نہ کیا؟ جگن ناتھ آزاد نے اپنی کتاب ”آنکھیں ترستیاں ہیں“ (1982) میں ضمناً یہ ذکر کیا ہے کہ اس نے ریڈیو لاہور سے اپنا ملی نغمہ سنا۔ کب سنا اس کاذکر موجود نہیں۔ اگر یہ قائداعظم کے فرمان پر لکھا گیا ہوتا تو وہ یقینا اس کتاب میں اس کاذکر کرتا۔ آزاد کے والد تلوک چند نے نعتیں لکھیں۔ جگن ناتھ آزاد نے پاکستان کے لئے ملی نغمہ لکھا جو ہوسکتا ہے کہ پہلے کسی وقت ریڈیو پاکستان سے نشر ہوا ہو لیکن یہ بات طے ہے کہ جگن ناتھ آزاد نہ کبھی قائداعظم سے ملے، نہ انہوں نے پاکستان کا قومی ترانہ لکھا اور نہ ہی ان کا قومی ترانہ اٹھارہ ماہ تک نشر ہوتارہا یا قومی تقریبات میں بجتا رہا۔
    قائداعظم بانی پاکستان اور ہمارے عظیم محسن ہیں۔ ان کے احترام کا تقاضا ہے کہ بلاتحقیق اوربغیر ٹھوس شواہد ان سے کوئی بات منسوب نہ کی جائے۔

47. Jawed says:
    June 6th, 2010 11:45 am

First I agree that of all our problems this is probably the least to get worked up about. Also, I think we are making too much of Safdar Mahmood, specially because this article from him really has no research or ‘facts’. This is an op-ed and that is all it is ‘opinion’. If he does have any evidence that the first anthem played was NOT by Azad then that is fine. but simply saying that he found nothing only means one thing: HE found nothing.

More importantly, I think his own credibility as a historian and as a journalist is very clouded and controversial. So I think this is just a publicity-seeking ploy from him. For more on Safdar Mahmood and is “shurlis” see this column:

48. Sameer says:
    June 6th, 2010 12:03 pm

Jawad, this is not the way of scholars or seekers of truth. Dr Safdar Mahmood has quoted many historical references in his article. He’s even quoted Quaid’s ADC Mr Ata Rabbani, father of Raza Rabbani sahib, (May Allah bless both with long healthy life). He quotes Radio Pakistan’s record and also historian Ahmad Saeed’s book on Quaid’s visitors.
    Instead of refuting it straightaway Kindly Do Some Research and Answer Safdar’s “opinion”. If not then whatever Najam has said is also opinion.
    By the way the link you have given is that of an article by Ch. Fawad Hussain, an old and established protege of Musharraf, who is still trying to do the impossible task of bringing back that dictator at large. Fawad is one of the organizers of Musharrf’s yet-to-be-born All Pakistan Muslim League.
    I request you and Najam to read Safdar’s article again and reply with historical records and arguments, NOT JUST MERE OPINION. Kindly save this website’s crediblity

49. Watan Aziz says:
    June 6th, 2010 3:39 pm

Maybe, the Urdu “dan” author of Jang needs to understand in Urdu what he fails to read and comprehend in English.

میرے تمام رشتہ داروں کو بھارت کے لئے روانہ ہوئے تھے اور میرے لئے لاہور جانے کے بارے میں سوچنا تکلیف دہ تھا. اپنے مسلمان دوستوں نے مجھے رہنے کے لئے درخواست کی. 1947 ، 9 اگست ، وہاں ریڈیو پاکستان لاہور میں میرا ایک دوست کے ذریعے جناح صاحب کی طرف سے ایک پیغام تھا. اس نے مجھے قائد اعظم سے کہا کہ تم پاکستان کے لئے ایک قومی ترانہ لکھنے کے لئے چاہتا ہے ‘.”

Dr Azad never claimed to have Mr. Jinnah on the matte of the national anthem.

So much for Urdu newspapers!

If editors of Jang have any credibility, they will do the needful.

50. Watan Aziz says:
    June 6th, 2010 3:40 pm

Correction: Dr Azad never claimed to have Mr. Jinnah on the matter of the national anthem.

51. Aqeel Abbas Jafri says:
    June 6th, 2010 4:17 pm

قائداعظم ؒ ‘ جگن ناتھ آزاد اور قومی ترانہ
    ـ
    ڈاکٹر صفدر محمود…………………..
    اس کالم کا مقصد صرف اور صرف سچ کی تلاش ہے نہ کہ کسی بحث میں اُلجھنا۔ میں اپنی حد تک کھُلے ذہن کے ساتھ سچ کی تلاش کے تقاضے پورے کرنے کے بعد یہ سطور لکھ رہا ہوں۔ پچھلے دنوں میڈیا (پرنٹ اور الیکٹرانک) پر یہ دعویٰ کیا گیا کہ قائداعظمؒ نے قیام پاکستان سے قبل 9 اگست 1947ءکو جگن ناتھ آزاد کو بلا کر پاکستان کا ترانہ لکھنے کو کہا‘ اُنہوں نے پانچ دنوں میں ترانہ لکھ دیا جو قائداعظمؒ کی منظوری کے بعد آزاد کے اعلان کے ساتھ ہی ریڈیو پاکستان سے نشر ہوا اور پھر یہ ترانہ اٹھارہ ماہ تک پاکستان میں بجتا رہا۔ جب 23 فروری 1949ءکو حکومت پاکستان نے قومی ترانے کےلئے کمیٹی بنائی تو یہ ترانہ بند کر دیا گیا۔ اس انکشاف کے بعد مجھے بہت سے طلبہ اور بزرگ شہریوں کے فون آئے جو حقیقت حال جاننا چاہتے تھے لیکن میرا جواب یہی تھا کہ بظاہر یہ بات قرین قیاس نہیں ہے لیکن میں تحقیق کے بغیراس پر تبصرہ نہیں کروں گا۔ چنانچہ میں نے اُن سکالروں سے رابطے کئے جنہوں نے قائداعظمؒ پر تحقیق کرتے اور لکھتے عمر گزار دی ہے۔ اُن سب کا کہنا تھا کہ یہ شوشہ ہے‘ بالکل بے بنیاد اورناقابل یقین دعویٰ ہے۔ لیکن میں اُن کی بات بلاتحقیق ماننے کےلئے تیار نہیں تھا۔ قائداعظم اور جگن ناتھ کے حوالے سے یہ دعوے کرنے والے حضرات نے انٹرنیٹ پر کئی ”بلاگز“ (BLOGS) میں اپنا نقطہ نظر اور من پسند معلومات فیڈ کر کے محفوظ کر دی تھیں تاکہ انٹرنیٹ کا استعمال کرنے والوں کو کنفیوژ کیا جا سکے۔ ان ساری معلومات کی بنیاد کوئی ٹھوس تحقیق نہیں تھی بلکہ سنی سنائی یا پھر جگن ناتھ آزاد کے صاحبزادے چندر آزاد کے انکشافات تھے جن کی حمایت میں چندر کے پاس کوئی ثبوت نہیں ہے۔
    میں سچ کی تلاش میں جن حقائق تک پہنچا ‘اُن کا ذکر بعد میں کروں گا پہلے تمہید کے طور پر یہ ذکر کرنا ضروری سمجھتا ہوں کہ جگن ناتھ آزاد معروف شاعر تلوک چند کا بیٹا تھا‘ وہ 1918ءکو عیسٰی خیل میانوالی میں پیدا ہوا۔ اُس نے 1937ءمیں گارڈن کالج راولپنڈی سے بی اے اور 1944ءمیں پنجاب یونیورسٹی سے ایم اے فارسی کیا۔ تھوڑا سا عرصہ ”ادبی دنیا“ سے منسلک رہنے کے بعد اُس نے لاہور میں ”جئے ہند“ نامی اخبار میں نوکری کر لی۔ قیام پاکستان کے بعد وہ ستمبر میں ہندوستان ہجرت کر گیا۔ اکتوبر میں ایک بار لاہور آیا اور فرقہ وارانہ فسادات کے خوف سے مستقل طور پر ہندوستان چلا گیا۔
    وکی پیڈیا WIKIPEDIA اور ALL THINGS PAKISTAN کے بلاگز میں یہ دعویٰ موجود ہے کہ قائداعظمؒ نے اپنے ”دوست“ جگن ناتھ آزاد کو 9/ اگست کو بلا کر پاکستان کا ترانہ لکھنے کےلئے پانچ دن دئیے‘ جو اس نے لکھ دیا۔ قائداعظمؒ نے اسے فوراً منظور کیا اور یہ ترانہ اعلان آزادی کے بعد ریڈیو پاکستان پر چلایا گیا۔ چندر نے یہ دعویٰ بھی کیا ہے کہ حکومت پاکستان نے جگن کو 1979ءمیں صدارتی اقبال میڈل عطا کیا۔
    میرا پہلا ردعمل کہ یہ بات قرین قیاس نہیں ہے کیوں تھا؟ ہر بڑے شخص کے بارے میں ہمارے ذہنوں میں ایک تصویر ہوتی ہے اور جو بات اس تصویر کے چوکھٹے میں فٹ نہ آئے انسان اُسے بغیر ثبوت ماننے کو تیار نہیں ہوتا۔ قائداعظمؒ سر تا پا قانونی اور آئینی شخصیت تھے۔ اس ضمن میں سینکڑوں واقعات کا حوالہ دے سکتا ہوں اس لئے یہ بات میری سمجھ سے بالاتر تھی کہ قائداعظمؒ کسی کو ترانے لکھنے کےلئے کہیں اور پھر کابینہ‘ حکومت یا ماہرین کی رائے لئے بغیر اُسے خود ہی آمرانہ انداز میں منظور کر دیں جبکہ اُن کا اردو فارسی زبان اور اردو شاعری سے واجبی سا تعلق تھا۔ میرے لئے دوسری ناقابلِ یقین صورت یہ تھی کہ قائداعظمؒ نے عمر کا معتدبہ حصہ بمبئی اور دہلی میں گزارا‘ اُنکے سوشل سرکل میں زیادہ تر سیاسی شخصیات‘ مسلم لیگی سیاستدان وکلا وغیرہ تھے۔ پاکستان بننے کے وقت اُن کی عمر 71 سال کے لگ بھگ تھی۔ جگن ناتھ آزاد اس وقت 29 سال کے غیر معروف نوجوان تھے اور لاہور میں قیام پذیر تھے پھر وہ پاکستان مخالف اخبار جئے ہند کے ملازم تھے‘ اُن کی قائداعظم سے دوستی تو کُجا‘ تعارف بھی ممکن نظر نہیں آتا۔
    پھر مجھے خیال آیا کہ یہ تو محض تخیلاتی باتیں ہیں جبکہ مجھے تحقیق کے تقاضے پورے کرنے اور سچ کا کھوج لگانے کےلئے ٹھوس شواہدکی ضرورت ہے۔ ذہنی جستجو نے راہنمائی کی اور کہا کہ قائداعظمؒ کوئی عام شہری نہیں تھے جن سے جو چاہے دستک دے کر مل لے۔وہ مسلمانانِ ہند و پاکستان کے قائداعظم اور جولائی 47ءسے پاکستان کے نامزد گورنر جنرل تھے۔ اُن کے ملاقاتیوں کا کہیں نہ کہیں ریکارڈ موجود ہو گا۔ سچ کی تلاش کے اس سفر میں مجھے 1989ءمیں چھپی ہوئی پروفیسر احمد سعید کی ایک کتاب مِل گئی جس کا نام ہے Visitors of the Quaid-e-Azam احمد سعید نے بڑی محنت سے تاریخ وار قائداعظمؒ کے ملاقاتیوں کی تفصیل لکھی ہے‘ جس میں جگن ناتھ آزاد کا کہیں بھی ذکر نہیں ہے۔ ”پاکستان زندہ باد“ کے مصنف سید انصار ناصری نے بھی قائداعظمؒ کی کراچی آمد سات اگست شام سے لےکر پندرہ اگست تک کی مصروفیات کا جائزہ لیا ہے۔ اس میں بھی آزاد کا ذکر کہیں نہیں۔ سید انصار ناصری کو یہ تاریخی اعزاز حاصل ہے کہ انہوں نے قائداعظمؒ کی تین جون 1947ءوالی تقریر کا اردو ترجمہ آل انڈیا ریڈیو سے نشر کیا تھا اور قائداعظم کی مانند آخر میں پاکستان زندہ باد کا نعرہ بھی بلند کیا تھا۔ لیکن سچی بات یہ ہے کہ پھر بھی میری تسلی نہیں ہوئی۔ دل نے کہا کہ جب سات اگست 1947ءکو قائداعظمؒ بطور نامزد گورنر جنرل دلی سے کراچی آئے تو اُن کے ساتھ اُن کے اے ڈی سی بھی تھے۔ اے ڈی سی ہی ملاقاتوں کا سارا اہتمام کرتا اور اہم ترین عینی شاہد ہوتا ہے اور صرف وہی اِس سچائی کی تلاش پر مہر ثبت کر سکتا ہے۔ جب قائداعظمؒ کراچی اترے تو جناب عطا ربانی بطور اے ڈی سی اُنکے ساتھ تھے اور پھر ساتھ بھی رہے۔ خدا کا شکر ہے کہ وہ زندہ ہیں لیکن اُن تک رسائی ایک کٹھن کام تھا۔ خاصی جدوجہد کے بعد میں بذریعہ نظامی صاحب اُن تک پہنچا۔
    جناب عطا ربانی صاحب کا جچا تُلا جواب تھا کہ جگن ناتھ آزاد نامی شخص نہ کبھی قائداعظمؒ سے ملا اور نہ ہی میں نے کبھی اُن کا نام قائداعظم سے سُنا۔ اب اس کے بعد اس بحث کا دروازہ بند ہو جانا چاہئے کہ جگن ناتھ آزاد کو قائداعظمؒ نے بلایا۔ اگست 1947ءمیں شدید فرقہ وارانہ فسادات کے سبب جگن ناتھ آزاد لاہور میں مسلمان دوستوں کے ہاں پناہ لیتے پھر رہے تھے اور اُن کو جان کے لالے پڑے ہوئے تھے۔ ان حالات میں اُن کی کراچی میں قائداعظمؒ سے ملاقات کا تصور بھی محال ہے۔ یہی وجہ ہے کہ خود جگن ناتھ آزاد نے کبھی یہ دعویٰ نہیں کیا حالانکہ وہ پاکستان میں کئی دفعہ آئے حتیٰ کہ وہ علامہ اقبالؒ کی صد سالہ کانفرنس کی تقریبات میں بھی مدعو تھے جہاں اُنہوں نے مقالات بھی پیش کئے جو اس حوالے سے چھپنے والی کتاب میں بھی شامل ہیں۔ عادل انجم نے جگن ناتھ آزاد کے ترانے کا شوشہ چھوڑا تھا۔ اُنہوں نے چندر آزاد کے حوالے سے دعویٰ کیا ہے کہ جگن ناتھ آزاد کو 1979ءمیں صدارتی اقبال ایوارڈ دیا گیا۔ یہ سراسر جھوٹ ہے۔ میں نے صدارتی اقبال ایوارڈ کی ساری فہرست دیکھی ہے اس میں آزاد کا نام نہیں۔ پھر میں کابینہ ڈویژن پہنچا اور قومی ایوارڈ یافتگان کا ریکارڈ کھنگالا۔ اس میں بھی آزاد کا نام نہیں ہے۔ وہ جھوٹ بول کہ سچ کو بھی پیار آ جائے اب آئیے اس بحث کے دوسرے حصے کی طرف…. ریڈیو پاکستان کے آرکائیوز گواہ ہیں کہ جگن ناتھ آزاد کا کوئی ترانہ یا ملی نغمہ یا کلام 1949ءتک ریڈیو پاکستان سے نشر نہیں ہوا۔ 14 اور 15/ اگست کی درمیانی شب جب آزادی کے اعلان کےساتھ پہلی بار ریڈیو پاکستان کی صدا گونجی تو اسکے بعد احمد ندیم قاسمی کا یہ ملی نغمہ نشر ہوا۔
    پاکستان بنانے والے‘ پاکستان مبارک ہو
    اُن دنوں قاسمی صاحب ریڈیو میں سکرپٹ رائٹر تھے۔ 15/ اگست کو پہلا ملی نغمہ مولانا ظفر علی خان کا نشر ہوا جس کا مصرعہ تھا ….ع
    توحید کے ترانے کی تانیں اڑانے والے
    میں نے یہیں تک اکتفا نہیں کیا۔ اُس زمانے میں ریڈیو کے پروگرام اخبارات میں چھپتے تھے۔ میں نے 14/ اگست سے لے کر اواخر اگست تک اخبارات دیکھے۔ جگن ناتھ آزاد کا نام کسی پروگرام میں بھی نہیں ہے۔ سچ کی تلاش میں میں ریڈیو پاکستان کے آرکائیوز سے ہوتے ہوئے ریڈیو کے سینئر ریٹائرڈ لوگوں تک پہنچا۔ان میں خالد شیرازی بھی تھے جنہوں نے چودہ اگست سے 21 اگست 1947ءتک کے ریڈیو پروگراموں کا چارٹ بنایا تھا۔ اُنہوں نے سختی سے اس دعویٰ کی نفی کی۔ پھر میں نے ریڈیو کا رسالہ آہنگ ملاحظہ کروایا جس میں سارے پروگراموں کی تفصیلات شائع ہوتی ہیں۔ یہ رسالہ باقاعدگی سے 1948ءسے چھپنا شروع ہوا۔ اٹھارہ ماہ تک آزادی کے ترانے کے بجنے کی خبر دینے والے براہ کرم ریڈیو پاکستان اکادمی کی لائبریری میں موجود آہنگ کی جلدیں دیکھ لیں اوراپنے موقف سے تائب ہو جائیں۔ میں اس بحث میںالجھنا نہیں چاہتا کہ اگر آزادی کا ترانہ ہمارا قومی ترانہ تھا اور وہ 1949ءتک نشر ہوتا رہا تو پھر اُسکا کسی پاکستانی کتاب کسی سرکاری ریکارڈ میں بھی ذکر کیوں نہیں ہے اور اُسکے سننے والے کہاں چلے گئے؟ اگر جگن ناتھ آزاد نے قائداعظمؒ کے کہنے پر ترانہ لکھا تھا تو اُنہوں نے اس منفرد اعزاز کا کبھی ذکر کیوں نہ کیا؟ جگن ناتھ آزاد نے اپنی کتاب آنکھیں ترستیاں ہیں (1982ئ) میں ضمناً یہ ذکر کیا ہے کہ اُس نے ریڈیو لاہور سے اپنا ملی نغمہ سنا۔ کب سنا اس کا ذکر موجود نہیں۔ لیکن نغمے اور ترانے میں بہت فرق بھی ہے۔ آزاد کے والد تلوک چند نے نعتیں لکھیں۔ جگن ناتھ آزاد نے پاکستان کےلئے ملی نغمہ لکھا جو ہو سکتا ہے کسی وقت ریڈیو پاکستان سے نشر ہوا ہو لیکن یہ بات طے ہے کہ وہ ترانہ نہ تھا جگن ناتھ آزاد نہ کبھی قائداعظمؒ سے ملے‘ نہ اُنہوں نے پاکستان کا قومی ترانہ لکھا اور نہ ہی اُن کا قومی ترانہ اٹھارہ ماہ تک نشر ہوتا رہا یا قومی تقریبات میں بجتا رہا۔
    قائداعظمؒ بانی پاکستان اور ہمارے عظیم محسن ہیں۔ انکے احترام کا تقاضا ہے کہ بلاتحقیق اور بغیر ٹھوس شواہد اُن سے کوئی بات منسوب نہ کی جائے۔

52. Adnan Siddiqi says:
    June 7th, 2010 4:55 am

@Watan Aziz: I think you are still tackling the respond by Safdar by some other Pakistaniat commenter hence continue to exhibit your non serious attitude. Safdar might not be good at English like you btu it seems you lack to comprehend What Safdar wrote in “urdu”.

First of all you did not cite the source where you cited it, second it was Adil who claimed Azad came up with first Anthem.

53. Adnan Siddiqi says:
    June 7th, 2010 5:01 am

Next time Adil Najam would repent to refer every other blog or person while discussing matter about partition/pre-partition and would come up with concrete respond to Dr.Safdar. As others are saying,it’s about the ‘credibility’ of the blog

54. Nihari says:
    June 7th, 2010 9:47 am

@Adnan

I first started this discussion by quoting Dr. Mehmood’s article. The idea was to confirm fact and start a discussion. However after reading your and other takes on this matter, here are a few questions.

1. Let’s assume that Jinnah did ask Azad to write the anthem. Let’s assume that we did find facts about it. Why are you feeling so insecure about it?
    2. How many biographies of Jinnah have you read?
    3. How many speeches of the Quaid have you read
    4. did you had the chance of reading the speech he gave to the Constituent Assembly on Aug 11, 1947. Do you know the most important para of that speech (No googling allowed. Just be honest)

And I am sorry. When I am typing fast I usually interchange the last two alphabets of my name so when you read comment by Nihair, it is good ol’ Nihari

55. Dastagir says:
    June 8th, 2010 7:26 am

I have read the articles by Safdar Mahmood but there seems to be no new information in them. Just how he has failed to find any information. I hope he and also Adil Najam will look harder and find exactly what was the anthem from 1947 to 1954 (or 1950 when the music was selected). It does not matter much what it was, but it will be nice to know. Thank you to ATP for bringing this debate forward.

56. taash says:
    July 8th, 2010 5:11 am

I have the original national anthem. Please let me know if anyone is interested in getting a copy through email or let me know if I can post it up on a website.

57. Aqeel Abbas Jafri says:
    August 16th, 2010 2:40 pm

Pl. visit the following links to read some more findings on this issue:

58. Aqeel Abbas Jafri says:
    August 16th, 2010 3:02 pm

The links which I posted in previous comments were difficult to access so I am posting the new links to read this feature in a better way.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=27582&id=132 7996863#!/photo.php?pid=5377981&id=665520495

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=27582&id=132 7996863#!/photo.php?pid=5378005&id=665520495&fbid= 421202780495

59. December 31st, 2010 2:51 am

Khurram’s Desk

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 30, 2010

National anthem: fact and fiction
    For some time now, some secularists in Pakistan have been suggesting that (a) Jinnah was in favor of secularism, and therefore (b) he commissioned a Hindu poet to write the national anthem of Pakistan but it was replaced by the present anthem after Jinnah’s death.

Therefore, it is rather serendipitous that two well-researched books should come out at the same time, each addressing a different half of this statement separately (and both having long titles, but that is beside the point):
    Secular Jinnah and Pakistan: What the Nation Doesn’t Know by the British Pakistani writer Saleena Karim is a 317-page study about whether Quaid-i-Azam Jinnah wanted Pakistan to be a secular state.
    Pakistan Ka Qaumi Tarana: Kiya Hai Haqeeqat, Kya Hai Fasana by Aqeel Abbas Jafri is a 104-page analytical presentation of archival resources about the national anthem of Pakistan.
    The first book is in English, and the second is in Urdu, and let’s begin with the second. Although he is little known abroad, Jafri ‘s name has become synonymous with archival research in Pakistan. One of his most recent crowning achievements is the Urdu Chronicle of Pakistan, which presents a chronological illustrated history of the country since 1947.

In Qaumi Tarana (allow me to refer to the book by this short title), Jafri shows with conclusive documentary evidence that:
    Pakistan did not have a national anthem in the lifetime of Jinnah.
    The present national anthem was the first to be officially adopted by the state.
    There is no evidence to show that any poem by Jagan Nath Azad was played from radio on 14 or 15 August at all.
    Some of the findings of this book were earlier shared by Jafri in his curtain-raiser article in Urdu press (covered here in a previous post, ‘Jafri reveals the truth’). The book offers much – much – more: a fantastic trip of time travelling to the early days of Pakistan, and inside the secret vaults of classified information, all in a light and refreshing manner.

I strongly recommend it to everybody. Being a basic document about a key symbol of our sovereignty, i.e. our national anthem, it should be kept in every household (Imagine losing your domicile certificate, passport, identity card and personal documents?). The book is modestly priced at Rs.200, which is roughly the same as a full plate of Biryani plus cold drink (and minus the TIP) – so, please do not “starve” your souls.

Now, very interestingly, while explaining that his purpose is just to keep the record straight, Jafri clarifies in the preface that it would not have been unexpected if the Quaid had actually got the national anthem written by a Hindu poet, but facts are facts and history needs to be respected. In the same vein he admits: “I do not have any doubts about Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah being secular, liberal and enlightened… Since Islam is the very name of tolerance.”

60. February 15th, 2011 3:53 pm

I do not understand what it means to say Pakistan did not have national anthem for first two years. May be it is a conspiracy policy to rob the glory from a Hindu poet….after all partition was meant Pakistan for Muslims and India for Hindus! But, thank God people of south Asia could not do even this small task and Muslims in India and Hindus in Pakistan are still a major ethnic problem. India is a boiling pot where hundreds of Pakistan may irrupt any moment.