ATP Quiz: Who Is This Man? And Why Should We Remember Him?

Posted on June 4, 2009
Filed Under >Adil Najam, ATP Quiz, People
Total Views: 20041

We regret not having a better picture of this man to use in this ATP Quiz. But that is the very point of the quiz.

Why don’t we have a better picture of this man? Maybe because too many of us do not even know who he is. I myself did not until fairly recently.

Do you? Do share what you know about this man. And we promise to write up whatever little we know.

(Similar posts: here, here and here).

17 Comments on “ATP Quiz: Who Is This Man? And Why Should We Remember Him?”

1. Arsalan Ali says:
    June 4th, 2009 12:56 pm

Looks like Ahmed Nadeem Qasmi?

2. Jabbar Usmani says:
    June 4th, 2009 1:21 pm

He is a Karachi Univeristy professor. Used to come on PTV a lot. Forget his name.

3. temporal says:
    June 4th, 2009 4:43 pm

good one:)

khwaja shahabuddin…brothther of khwaja nazimudding the erstwhile prime minister…he served under ayub…cabinet as well as a governor

4. temporal says:
    June 4th, 2009 4:50 pm

correction: “nazimuddin” :)

and here is a picture:

from left to right in the front row

khwaja shahbuddin, zulfikar bhutto, ayub khan, khan abdul sabur khan, shoaib

5. ASAD says:
    June 4th, 2009 4:57 pm

I must confess, I have no idea whatsoever. But very eager to find out!

6. Indscribe says:
    June 4th, 2009 5:21 pm

I think it’s famous Urdu poet and aashiq-e-Iqbal late Jagannath Azad who had written the first tarana for your country, Pakistan.

If I’m wrong, forgive me.

7. ARSHAD says:
    June 4th, 2009 5:29 pm

I think you mean Prof. Qarar Hussain… Not sure if it is him. But maybe it is. Great man and great scholar.

8. Neena says:
    June 4th, 2009 5:35 pm

Indscribe is right, it is indeed late Jagannath Azad and read more about his poetry at Adnan (Indscribe) website and about first Pakistan’s national anthem at Zak’s blog.

9. Saadia says:
    June 4th, 2009 7:17 pm

I also don’t know. But just from the picture, seems like an intellectual or professor.

Am interested in why Adil Najam thinks we SHOULD know him, and looking to the surprise.

10. MQ says:
    June 4th, 2009 9:50 pm

I don’t know who he is, but I know who he is not. He is not Ahmed Nadeem Qasmi and he is not Khawaja Shahabuddin — Khawaja Sahib always wore a short beard.

And, by the way, Pakistan’s national anthem was written by Hafeez Jalandhri and its tune was composed by Ahmed Chagla.

11. Nostalgic says:
    June 4th, 2009 10:43 pm

MQ, Hafiz Jalundhari wrote the second anthem… the first was by Jagannath Azad, who was assigned the task because he it would sound a strong secular note (Azad was Hindu)…

12. MQ says:
    June 4th, 2009 11:05 pm

13. Adnan Ahmad says:
    June 4th, 2009 11:29 pm

I say it again that the biggest tragedy for Pakistan was Jinnah’s passing away so soon after 1947. Had he lived for an other 10 years I have no doubt in my mind that this would be a different country. And Jagannath Azad would be a professor emeritus at a university in Pakistan and not in India.

It’s still not too late for the state and the religion to separate.

14. Arshad says:
    June 4th, 2009 11:33 pm

I think this is a trick Quiz like Prof. Najam often has and we have all gotten it wrong. Its going to turn out to be someone we all missed. Am waiting for the answer, Prof. Najam!

15. Rizwan Khan says:
    June 4th, 2009 11:47 pm

“Never knew that there was also a first anthem. How did it go? I mean, what were the first lines? Am just curious.”

@MQ: I cannot blame you.

Post Zia generation of Pakistanis has been brainwashed to believe that any acknowledgement of their non-Islamic heritage will render them less Muslims. They have systemmatically worked hard to destroy all evidence of non-Islamic links of Pakistan. Today, a Pakistani children is hardly aware of the grand vision that lies at the foundation of this nation. All he knows is that Pakistan was created to ape Saudi Arab and its Wahabi ideology. There are pathetic attempts even in academia(?) to prove that Pakistan never shared anything with the subcontinent and was always closer to middle East. See this:

Is it any wonder that we feel ashamed to tell our children that Pakistan’s first national anthem (approved by Qaid-E-Azam) was written by a Hindu? BTW, this was our national anthem for about one and a half years.

16. SH Kavi says:
    June 5th, 2009 12:46 am

“Aey sarzameen-i-pak Zarrey terey hein aaj sitaron sey tabnak Roshan heh kehkashan sey kahin aaj”
    First national Anthem by Jagannath Azad.

17. readinglord says:
    June 5th, 2009 8:19 pm

I nterestingly the last line of the NA written by Hafeez read as under:

“Saayaa-e-Khudaaye Zuljalaal”

I wonder why Zia, the anti-khuda, did not get the name of khuda struck out from it to replace it with Allah, to have more petro-dollars from Saudia rulers as ‘khuda’ is cosidered to be a secular god of all humanity and Zia was avers to anything human.