25th Death Anniversary: Faiz Ahmed Faiz

Posted on November 20, 2009
Filed Under >Adil Najam, People, Poetry

Today is the 25th death anniversary of Faiz Ahmed Faiz. Maybe we can remember him by sharing the verses from him that are most moving for us.

Pakistaniat readers are well aware of the aqeedat ATP has for Faiz Ahmed Faiz. Indeed, in some ways ATP started with a tribute to him and to the everlasting power of his words.

I think when we started this site my sentiment was “aaj baazar meiN pabajolaaN challo.” Today, more than three years later I find myself still engrossed in the same poem; but, maybe a little further into it, sometimes feeling like “phir humm he qatl ho ayeeN yaaro, challo.”

But that may just be the mood of the moment. What, in Faiz, are you thinking of dear readers. Share your favorite Faiz verse with us, please, and tell us what moves you about it.

Meanwhile, to get you rolling, let me repost from an earlier post I had done back in 2007 to mark Faiz Sahib’s birthday. In it I had highlighted a few of his works (including in his own voice) that were my particular favorites. Maybe, these will spur you into identifying yours:

What, then, can one say about Faiz and Pakistaniat that Faiz Sahib has not said himself:

Nisar mein teri galiyoun pay aye watan kay jahaN
Chali hai rasm kay koee na sar uTha kay chalay
Jo koee chahnay waala tawaaf ko niklay
Nazar jhuka kay chalay, jism o jaaN bacha kay chalay

As always, I can offer no better tribute to Faiz Sahib than his very own words. So, here is my very own Faiz Mela for you. A selection of poetry from Faiz that has and continues to inspire me. Poetry that assumes new meaning every time I hear it. Poetry that speaks directly to the state of my existence, to the nuances of my aspirations, and to the core of my convictions.
First, these three poems, presented here in Faiz’s own voice, each of which is as much a credo for this blog as hum daikhain gay:

Nisar mein teri galiyoun pay…

Aaj baazar mein pa-bajoulaN chalo…

Bol…

A fourth poem that I would have added to this list is Intisaab. It has been most beautifully sung by Nayarra Noor, and I recently stumbled on this wonderful video based on part of that poem (I wish it had used the entire poem):

Along with Nayarra Noor, Tina Sani is someone who sings Faiz with a heartfelt passion and understanding; both, of course, are at their best when singing Faiz nazms composed by Arshad Mahmood. There are many Tina Sani renditions that are worth celebrating, but here is a relatively new one – on the poem mairay dil mairay musafir – which like everything above seems to speak personally to me (and to so many others). For those of us who are living in diyar-i-ghair, this is a particularly pertinent poem which is sung particularly well:

Of course, no Faiz Mela can conclude without Iqbal Bano singing Hum Daikhain Gay. Long-time readers of this blog know that ATP and its notion of Pakistaniat (also here) is inspired by Faiz and by this particular tarana of Pakistaniat. Our very first post was based on my own amatuerish effort to visualize that vision, and probably no one except Jinnah has been quoted more often at ATP than Faiz Ahmad Faiz. I have posted it a number of times since then. Let me please do so again. This time, not as much for my visualization as for Iqbal Bano’s wonderful rendition.

Yes, Lazim Hai Kay Hum Bhi Daikhain Gay:

47 Comments on “25th Death Anniversary: Faiz Ahmed Faiz”

1. Humaira says:
    November 20th, 2009 3:07 pm

Great selection Prof. Najam.

One of my favorite ones is:

Jiss dhaj say koee maqtal mein gaya
    wo shaan salamat rehti hai
    yeh jaan tou aani jaani hai
    iss jaan ki koee paat nahin

2. Gardezi says:
    November 20th, 2009 3:19 pm

Jinka deen pairavii-e-kazbo-riyaa hai unko
    himmet-e-kufr milay, jurat-e-tahaqiiq milay

3. Megan says:
    November 20th, 2009 3:25 pm

favorite Faiz verse:

bahut giraa.N hai ye aish-e-tanhaa kahii.n sabukatar kahii.n gavaaraa vo dard-e-pinhaa.N ki saarii duniyaa rafiiq thii jisake vaaste se

[giraa.N=expensive; aish-e-tanhaa=luxury of loneliness]
    [sabukatar=oppressive; gavaaraa=acceptable; pinhaa.N=hidden]
    [rafiiq=friendly]

(this luxury of loneliness is expensive, sometimes unbearable, sometimes appealing the inner anguish that I have borne for which the world befriended me)

4. NAEEM says:
    November 20th, 2009 3:46 pm

chand roz aur meri jaan, faqat chand he roz
    zulm ki chaun mein dam lainey par majbur hain hum

ik zara aur sitam seh lain, taRap laiN roo laiN
    apnay ajdad ki meeras hai, maazur haiN hum

5. Roshan says:
    November 20th, 2009 4:22 pm

There is very good article on BBC Urdu about Faiz Sahib written by Asif Jillani who worked under Faiz Sahib in the Daily Imroz: http://www.bbc.co.uk/urdu/pakistan/2009/11/091119_faiz_death_anniversery_aw.shtml

کدھرے نہ پیند یاں دساں

وے پردیسیا تیریاں

کاگ اڈاواں شگن مناواں

وگدی وادے ترلے پاواں

تری یاد پوے تے روواں

ترا ذکر کراں تاں ہساں

کدھرے نہ پیندیاں دساں

6. hasan says:
    November 20th, 2009 4:30 pm

I am a Bengali, from Bangladesh, where Faiz is greatly revered. One of the first collections of Faiz’s poems in Bengali was done in the mid-1960s, by Ranesh Das Gupta. Later, in the independent Bangladesh, the Afro-Asia Solidarity Union did another beautiful collection. I myself translated Faiz’s three Bangladesh poems that he had written after visiting Dhaka in 1974 (with ZA Bhuto).

Our greatest regret is that Faiz, who stood should to shoulder with Palestinians in Beirut, never found time to express solidarity with the people of Bengal in their struggle for freedom, nor did he condemn the mindless massacre committed by the pakistani army in 1971.

Hasan

7. Pakistani First says:
    November 20th, 2009 5:54 pm

I think nothing beats MUJH SAY PEHLI SI MOHABBAT MERAY MAHBOOB NA MAANG.

It is at once a love ode and a revolutionary plea and immaculate in both forms. That was a the greatness of Faiz

8. Saboor Syed says:
    November 20th, 2009 6:39 pm

Agree with Pakistani First. I think Mujh se pehli si muhabbat mere mahboob na mang is in essence Faiz … torn between yet conscious of the two yearnings.

9. Adil Mulki says:
    November 20th, 2009 7:35 pm

Hum kay thehray ajnabi kitni madaraton kay baad
    phir banain gey aashna hum kitni mulaqaaton kay baad

Kub Nazar mein ayegi beydaag subzay ki bahaar
    Khoon kay dhabbay dhulaein gey kitni barsaaton kay baad

(Rough Translation by myself for ease of readers)

We’ve remained strangers despite much hospitality
    How many interactions will it take for us to get acquainted?

When will be there in sight, lush fields?
    How many monsoons will it take to wash away the blood stains?
    ———————————————————

10. Laeeq says:
    November 20th, 2009 10:36 pm

One of my favorites:

aise naadaan to na the jaaN se guzarane vaale
    naasiho, rahabar-o-raahaguzar to dekho

voh to vo hain tumhaiN ho jaayegii ulfat mujhase
    ek nazar tum meraa mahabuub-e-nazar to dekho

11. Dil-Sooz says:
    November 20th, 2009 10:40 pm

I remember Faiz Sahib’s famous “Abb bhee dil kash hey taira husn magar kia key gayy-aa” due to a reason.
    It so happened that as freshly minted medical graduate I joined house job in surgery and one of my first patients was a young, newly married girl who sustained severe burns on significant portion of her body due to “kerosine oil cooker blast”. Once in her disinhibited state of mind under anesthesia she asked my fellow surgeon “doctor kia mein abb bhee khobsoorat hoon?”. I could not answer her question but this ghazal of Faiz sahib came to me (nazool hua)instantly.
    To cut long story short surgery was never my cup of tea so I joined Psychiatry and remained with it, ever since.

12. Dil-Sooz says:
    November 20th, 2009 10:47 pm

For brother “Hasan” from Bangladesh–please note Faiz Sahib did go to Bangladesh for reconciliation and wrote this great lyric:
    ” Hum kay thehray ajnabi kitni madaraton kay baad
    phir banain gey aashna hum kitni mulaqaaton kay baad
    Kub Nazar mein ayegi beydaag subzay ki bahaar
    Khoon kay dhabbay dhulaein gey kitni barsaaton kay baad”
    Here he has drawn pen picture of Bengal
    and great power of expression regarding his feelings.
    Please refer to comment of brother “Adil Mulki ” in this thread for details.

13. Ahmed2 says:
    November 20th, 2009 11:20 pm

What a coincidence! I had Faiz’s Nuskha’hai Wafa in my hand and was reading it, as I accessed ATP and came across this post. This is what I was reading:

” Aur kuch dere na guzray shab e furqat say kaho
    Dil bhi kum dukhta hai, woh yaad bhi kum aatay hain.

14. shahid says:
    November 21st, 2009 2:28 am

the first time i read faiz i was stuck with him and his poetry for 2 years and kept away from writing anything of my own..
    he is an inspiration, a teacher , a revolution in my life and someone i revere from my heart

i lov this couplet from him

Hum khasta tanon se mohtasebo kia maal manaal ka poochtay ho
    Jo umr se hum nay bhar paya wo samnay laaye detay hain
    Daman main hay musht e khaak e jigar, saaghar main khoon e hasrat e mae’
    Lo hum ne daaman jhar dia, lo jaam ultaaey detay hain…

15. Natasha says:
    November 21st, 2009 5:15 am

Faiz on Pakistan :

Tujh ko kitnon ka lahu chahie ae arz-e-watan

Jo tere arz-e-berang ko gulnaar karein

Kitni aahon se kaleja tera thhanda hoga

Kitney ansoo tere sehraon ko gulzar karein
    ————————————————————————–

The blood of how many do you need O motherland;

That which will brighten your colourless earth;

How many sighs will soothe your heart;

How many tears will cause your deserts to bloom.

16. Natasha says:
    November 21st, 2009 5:22 am

Hassan ,

This is what Faiz Sahab wrote on his way back to Pakistan from Dhaka.

The poem’s sung by Nayyara Noor.It’s called ‘Dhaka se wapsi per’.For more refer to ATP’s old article :

17. Natasha says:
    November 21st, 2009 5:29 am

//It is always amazing that no matter what the issue, Faiz always has something to say that is not only relevant but revalationary (often it is also revolutionary).

Something that helps us express what we really feel but are unable to articulate. Something that helps us explain what we could not understand. Something that forces us to confront what we would much rather ignore. Something that rises above our fears and speaks to our hopes. //

Very well-written.

That’s exactly why he’s the best.The person responsible for initiating interest for revolutionary poetry in me.A true legend.

18. Nostalgic says:
    November 21st, 2009 6:51 am

Recently, I have been appalled to see rightwingers using Faiz’s poetry… therefore, here are some anti-mullah verses… there are probably better examples, but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head:

Sheikh Sahab Se Rasm-o-Rah Na Ki
    Shukar Hai Zindagi Tabbah Na Ki

and

Fiqr-e-Sood-o-Ziyan To Chuutay Gi
    Minat-e-Ein-o-Aan To Chuutay Gi
    Khair, Dozakh Mein Main Milay na Milay
    Sheikh Sahab Se Jaan to Chuutay Gi

(No offense meant to anyone with Sheikh as their last name… ;) … )

19. Ahmer Muzammil says:
    November 21st, 2009 11:45 am

Yeh daagh daagh ujaala, yeh shab guzida sahar

Woh intizaar tha jis ka, yeh woh sahar to nahin

Yeh woh sahar to nahin jis ki aarzoo lay kar

Chaley they yaar key miljaegi kahin na kahin

Falak kay dasht mein tarron ki akhiri manzil

Kahin to hoga shab-e-sust ghum ka saahil

Kahin to jakey lageyga safina-e-ghum-e-dil

20. Aalia says:
    November 21st, 2009 4:40 pm

raat youN dil mein teri yaad aaye
    jaisay veeranay meiN chupke say bahar aa jaye
    jaisey sehraooN mein holay say chaley baad-i-naseem
    jaisay beemaar ko bay-wajha qarar aa jaye

21. November 21st, 2009 5:13 pm

Some comments from the ATP Facebook Page:

- “mere chara gar ko naveed ho,saf-e-dushmanan ko khabar kro
    jo wo karz rakhte thay jaan per wo hisaab aaj chuka diya

jo rukay to koh-e-giraan thay hum,jo chalay to jaan se guzar gaye
    rah-e-yaar hum ne kadam kadam tujhe yaadgaar bana dia!”

- “I’m not sure if this is my favorite, but I like the boldness of it:

jinka deen pairavii-e-kazbo-riyaa hai unko
    himmat-e-kufr mile, jurat-e-tahaqiiq mile ”

- “nisar me teri galiyon py ay watan k jahan
    chali hai rasm k koi na ser utha k chaly
    jo koi chahny wala tawaf ko jaye
    nazr jhuka k chalyjism-o-jan bacha k chaly
    hai ahle-dil k liye ye nazam-e-basto–kushad
    k sango khisht mukayiadhein or sug azad”

- “one of the great urdu poets of all times…need i say more”

- “da gr8 gr8 gr8 poet.
    Jis dhuj se koi maktal main gaya,wo shaan salamat rehti hai
    Ye jaan tu aani jaani hai,is jaan ki tu koi baat nahi
    Medaan-e-wafa darbaar nahi,yahan naam o nasab ki pooch kahan
    Aashiq tu kisi ka naam nahi,kuch ish kisi ki zaat nahi.
    wah wah”

- “Karo Kuhj Jabee(n) pe sarr-e-kafan, mere qatiloo ko guma(n) na ho……
    K gharoor-e-Ishq ka bankpan, pass-e-marg hum ne bhula diya.”

- “BOL K LAB AZAD HAIN TERE (English Translation).
    Speak, your lips are free.
    Speak, it is your own tongue.
    Speak, it is your own body.
    Speak, your life is still yours.

See how in the blacksmith’s shop
    The flame burns wild, the iron glows red;
    The locks open their jaws,
    And every chain begins to break.

Speak, this brief hour is long enough
    Before the death of body and tongue:
    Speak, ’cause the truth is not dead yet,
    Speak, speak, whatever you must speak.”

- “jinka deen pairavii-e-kazbo-riyaa hai unko
    himmat-e-kufr mile, jurat-e-tahaqiiq mile”

- “متاع لوح و قلم چھن گئ تو کیا غم ہے
    کہ خون دل میں ڈبو لی ہیں انگلیاں مں نے
    زباں پہ مہر لگی ہے تو کیا کہ رکھ دی ہے
    ہر ایک حلقہءزنجیر مں زباں میں نے”

- “dasht-e-tanhaai mein,
    ai jaan-e-jahaan, larzaan hain
    teri avaaz ke saaye,
    tere honthon ke saraab
    dasht-e-tanhaai mein,
    duri ke khas-o-khaak tale
    khil rahe hain tere pehlu ke saman aur gulaab
    uht rahi hai kahin qurbat se
    teri saans ki aanch
    apani khushbuu mein sulagti hui
    maddham maddham
    dur ufaq par chamakati hui
    qatra qatra
    gir rahi hai teri dil daar nazar ki shabnam
    is qadar pyaar se hai jaan-e jahaan rakkhaa hai
    dil ke rukhsaar pe
    is vaqt teri yaad ne haath
    yun guman hota hai
    garche hai abhi subah-e-firaaq
    dhal gaya hijr ka din
    aa bhi gaye vasl ki raat”

22. Jabbar says:
    November 21st, 2009 6:51 pm

One of my favorites that applies to Pakistan today and all teh bombings:

inn damaktay hooaye shehrouN ki farozaan makhlooq
    kyouN faqat marnay ki hasrat may jeeya karti hai

23. Khaled Ikbal says:
    November 22nd, 2009 5:57 am

Of Urdu poetry’s undying greats, various poets are taken into account for different things. While Ghalib is legendary for his pining and bathos, Iqbal for his patriotism, fervour and elevation to the status of the national poet, Faiz Ahmed Faiz is, nonetheless, remembered as a revolutionary on the 25th anniversary of his death. He was really a humanist in the best sense of the word, and his poetry was free of any prejudice, racial or religious.

He was drawn into the charmed circles of Lahore’s Aesthetes Club and later, the Progressive Writers Movement, as his genius was recognized early, Though, he started his early schooling at a madressah, he surprisingly and progressively became more involved with the Communist Party of Pakistan, after Masters Degrees in English and Arabic Literature.

Faiz’s politics was greatly inclined towards the Bolshevik Revolution, like many of his contemporaries.

Faiz also served in the British Army’s Information department in World War II. His final posting saw him heading the propaganda department in Singapore. Soon after his discharge, Pakistan came in to being in the map of the Subcontinent.

After partition, he decided to stay on in Lahore, where he distinguished himself as a journalist and edited the Pakistan Times as well as the Adab-e-Latif and Lail-o-Nihar.

But an iconoclastic leftist and an apostate were not easy things to be in newly independent Pakistan. He was soon charged with treason and imprisoned for complicity in the Rawalpindi Conspiracy Case. But Faiz’s years at Hyderabad Jail brought out some of the greatest poetry he ever wrote. Dast-e-Saba and Zindaan-Nama, two of his most acclaimed works, were produced during this period. He continued to write poetry through the 70s and early 80s and won the Lenin Peace Prize, the Lotus Award and several honorary doctorates. Other notable recipients include Pablo Neruda, Nelson Mandela, W. E. B. Du Bois, Bertolt Brecht, Fidel Castro and Nobel Prize winning Chemist Linus Pauling. The real award for a poet is the love and appreciation of his fans and Faiz enjoyed both for most of his life. He recorded for the Library of Congress in 1977 which has fifty two works by him.

Before his death in 1984 he was also nominated for the Nobel Prize.

There were many grave incongruities in his personality. He championed the cause of the poor and disenfranchised through his poetry, but enjoyed the life of a wealthy man with a penchant for fine Scotches. He believed passionately in communism, but fraternized easily with the social and industrial elite. President Ayub Khan decided that the best way to destroy Faiz’s spirit was to give him power. He appointed him President of the National Council of Arts and gave him a state bungalow. Soon Faiz succumbed to the ease of life and the pleasures of the bottle. In a chilling last poem, it seemed as though he had a premonition of his death:

Ajal key haath koi aa rahaa hai parwaana

Na janey aaj ki fehrist mein raqam kya hai

[Death has some ordinance in its hand,

Alas, I don’t know whose names are on the list today]

Khaled Ikbal,
    Rawalpindi

24. Ahmed2 says:
    November 22nd, 2009 8:03 am

What a concidence, when I opened this post I was reading faiz, and I was on the following :

Aur kuch dair na guzray shab e furqat say kaho
    dil bhi kum dukhta hai, woh yaad bhi kum aatay hain

25. MQ says:
    November 22nd, 2009 8:23 am

One of Faiz’s less quoted poems, because it is in Punjabi, is titled “Rabba Sachya”. It’s simple but profound. Here are a few lines, loosely translated and paraphrased:

O truthful Lord, You had said
    “Go, you are the king and my deputy on the land”
    ….

Lord, I don’t need any kingdom
    All I need is a living, with dignity
    I don’t pine for palaces and mansions
    All I need is a small place that I can call my own

If you fulfill that little wish of mine,
    I promise to accept all your commands
    If not, then I better find someone else to beg and beseech

26. Pakistani First says:
    November 22nd, 2009 9:59 am

MQ, Rabba Sachiya is one of my favorite ones too. Specially at the end, when he says:

tey jay meri naee manda, tey rabba sachya
    tou ja, hnn rabb meiN oee hour looRaaN

powerful stuff.

27. Mariam Sabri says:
    November 22nd, 2009 10:01 am

I often recite this in my head when I read depressing news about Pakistan:

‘Darbar-i-watan mein jab ek din
    Sab janay walay jaien gay
    Kuch apni saza ko pohanchein gay
    kuch apni jaza ley jaingay
    Aey khaak nashinon uth baitho
    woh waqt qareeb aa pohancha hai
    jab takht giraye jaiengay, jab taaj uchalay jaien gay’

28. Ahmed2 says:
    November 22nd, 2009 12:40 pm

How one would wish that in “Darbar e Watan sab apni saza ko pohanchein gay ” but (again) quoting Faiz:

“Gino sab hasratain jo khoon huvi hain tan kay maqtul mein
    Meray qatil! hisaab e khoon bahaa aisay nahin hota

Har ik shab har ghari guzray qiamat yoon to hota hai
    Magar har subeh ho roz e jaza aisay nahin hota

Sanam dikhlaingay rah e khuda aisay nahin hota”.

29. Emm says:
    November 22nd, 2009 2:02 pm

My favorite:

vo log bahut Khush_qismat the
    jo ishq ko kaam samajhate the
    yaa kaam se aashiqii karate the
    ham jiite jii masaruuf rahe
    kuchh ishq kiyaa kuchh kaam kiyaa

kaam ishq ke aa.De aataa rahaa
    aur ishq se kaam ulajhataa rahaa
    phir aaKhir tang aakar ham ne
    dono.n ko adhuuraa chho.D diyaa

30. Lateef says:
    November 22nd, 2009 2:08 pm

Faiz on the current NRO

lao tu qatal naama mera mayN bhi dekh looN
    kis kis ki muhar hay sar e mehzar lagi hui

31. USMAN says:
    November 22nd, 2009 3:52 pm

Faiz always gives me hope:

yeh chaar din k khudai tou koee baat nahiN!

32. Mubeen says:
    November 22nd, 2009 5:41 pm

Like Usman I tjink the message of Fauz is hopeful

ge writes about despair but always leaves me feeling hopeful

that is what makes him timeless

33. Muldoon says:
    November 22nd, 2009 9:50 pm

I have a number of favorites, with each one speaking to me differently at different times. Some of them include:
    1 – Umeed-e-Sehar (Laal band does a great rendition)
    2 – Bol kay lab azaad hain teray
    3 – Dhaka sey wapsi per / Hum kay theray ajnabi
    4 – Hum dekhain gey
    5 – Dasht-e-tanhai
    6 – Bahar Aaiee

I can’t read Urdu very well, but armed with my Ferozsons dictionary and Khalid Hasan & Daud Kamal’s translation, “O City of Lights” I have been able to understand some of the essence of Faiz. I think he is so very relevant to Pakistan today.

34. Adeeba says:
    November 23rd, 2009 10:55 am

this hangs on my wall:

aagayi fasl-e-sukoon chaak gareban waalon
    sil gaye hount, koi zaqm sile ya na sile

dostoun bazm sajaao ke bahaar aayi hai
    khil gaye zaqm, koi phool khile ya na khile

from a ghazal of his:

veeran hai maikadah, qum o saagar udaas hain
    tum kya gaye ke rooth gaye din bahar ke

bhoole se muskura to diye the woh aaj Faiz
    mat pooch walwale dil-e-naakardakaar ke

And this last one is of great significance to me because it in many ways determined the way I acted during my bout with bipolar disorder:

Tere hontoun ke phulon ki chaahat mein hum
    dar ki khushk tehni pe vaare gaye
    tere haathon ki shammon ki hasrat mein hum
    neem tareek raahon mein maare gaye

35. Adeeba says:
    November 23rd, 2009 10:58 am

Perhaps one of the best translators of Faiz Ahmed Faiz is the poet Agha Shahid Ali. Has anyone read “The Rebel’s Silhouette”?

36. Nadeem Anjum says:
    November 23rd, 2009 11:43 am

.. Faiz,
    ….

37. November 25th, 2009 7:40 am

in my opinion, v kiernan is a must-have translation of faiz; i am a big fan of the late khalid hasan and agha shahid ali but kiernan is unmatched in using western diction to reinterpret faiz (which is why you always see him with two translations to every verse one a more literal one and other more true to aesthetics)

a lot of memorable ghazals and ashaar have already graced ATP and this blog entry so to cite a few would not do justice

a comment, though, has prompted me out of my hibernation, a comment that faiz spent the later years of his life if relative prosperity which i thought was not in good taste for the mere reason that the comment is factually incorrect. “pakistan national council for the art” came into existence after the military rule of Field Marshal Ayub Khan; it was on the request of Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto that he accepted the position of chairman & that was post 1972 & faiz was wellknown not to curry favors with people; the scene painted by Alys Faiz that Faiz was living in Beirut in extremely trying times is a testimony to his greatness when after bombshelling closeby, he asked his wife to go back to bed

faiz defines this pakistaniat that has impacted all of us personally which is why people like Adil are inspired to keep Faiz’s memory alive on ATP; faiz’s pakistaniat or rather insaan dostee is something all of us need to emulate

38. Danial says:
    February 8th, 2010 11:21 am

Great post. Just came across this. Ejaz Haider, a Pakistani journalist, conducted a programme on Samaa TV remembering Faiz. It was a fantastic discussion so I thought I’d share (it’s the first video on the page, sorry, don’t know how to properly link youtube videos! :) )

Check it out at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Siyasiyaat-with-Ejaz-Haider/443118100502?ref=ts

39. Taimur says:
    July 27th, 2010 9:08 am

Very nice tribute. He was indeed a giant.

40. anon says:
    September 16th, 2010 7:45 am

41. November 19th, 2010 10:25 pm

On Faiz sahib’s death anniversary:

Raat youn dil mein teri yaad aayi
    jaisey veeraney mein chupkay say bahar aaa jaye
    jaisey sehraaoN mein holay say challey baad-i-naseem
    jaisey beemar ko be-wajha qarar aaa jaye

42. nashus says:
    November 19th, 2010 10:45 pm

Aaj Phir Dard-O-Gham K Dhaagey Mein,
    Hum Proo Kr Tere Khayal K Phool.

Tark-E-Ulfat K Dasht Sey Chun Kr,
    Aashnai K Maah-O-Saal K Phool.

Teri Dehleez Pr Saja Aaey,
    Phir Teri Yaad Pr Charrha Aaey.

Baandh Kr Aarzo K Paley Mein,
    Hijer Ki Raakh Aur Visaal K Phool.

43. November 19th, 2010 11:29 pm

HUM K THERAY AJNABI ITNI MADARATOON K BAAD BY FAIZ AHMAD FAIZ

For More Poetry of Faiz Ahmad Faiz visit

44. Salman Asim says:
    November 20th, 2010 9:52 am

HUM DAIKHAIN GAY
    LAZIM HAI KAY HUM BHI DAIKHAIN GAY

45. November 20th, 2010 2:57 pm

Some comments from the ATP Facebook Page::

- “Raat yoon dil mien teri khoi hui yaad aai”
    - “Poetry of Faiz Ahmad Faiz
    - “DUNIA NE TERI YAAD SE BEGANAH KER DIYA
    TUJH SE BHI DILFRAIB HAN GHUM ROZEGAR K”
    - “My favorite poet of all time….I like raat yoon dil mien…..”
    - “Allah un ko apny jawar-e-rehmat mein jaga de. Ameen”

46. Shahran says: