ATP’s Best Pakistani Food Outside Pakistan – v0.01

Posted on September 24, 2006
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Food, Pakistanis Abroad

Note: An updated list of the Best Pakistani restaurants outside Pakistan is now available here.

Here at ATP we like talking about food. Especially Pakistani food (on chai here, on ganderi here, here, on aam here and on omletes here). The start of Ramzan, fasting and feasting, seems to be as good a time as any to talk more about food.

Soon after this blog was first launched we did a post (1 July, 2006) asking our readers to nominate places where they thought one could get the Best Pakistani food Outside of Pakistan. Over the last 12 weeks or so, the post has got some – but not too many – responses. But, interestingly, it remains one of our most consistently visited posts, especially through Internet searches. My guess is that while people are unwilling, or unable, to suggest good places to eat Pakistani food outside Pakistan, they are very eager to find what others suggest.

Your Ad Here

It is time to tabulate results and do a second installment.

The purpose of this post is (a) to again invite our readers, especially newer ones, to suggest good places for Pakistani food outside Pakistan (especially if you happen to be outside of USA but not in Pakistan); and (b) to consolidate the list that has evolved in the comments section of our first post. This is labelled version 0.01 partly because we hope to have future versions released, and partly because our level of confidence in this is fairly scanty because we know from personal experience that there is much more out there than is reflected in this list.So, based largely on the comments on the first post, but also on my own (wide-waistline) experience, here is a first cut at a list of restaurants (Pinglish = ‘hotels’) outside Pakistan where one might get good (sometimes, great) Pakistani food. We will start with the US, where we did get some fairly specific suggestions.

United States of America (USA)
For variety alone, nothing can come close to Devon Street (Pinglish = ‘Diwaan’) in Chicago. However, great culinary treasures are also to be found in in Dallas and in the San Francisco Bay Area. At least according to those who responded in the first round, the New York / New Jersey belt has a lot of Pakistani food, but not the best Pakistani food to offer. Here are some specific suggestions from our readers:

Best of the Best:

Royal Sweets
(Carrollton, Dallas) for mithai
Mirch Cafe
(Freemont, San Francisco) for mithai
Kabab Palace
(Washington DC) for kabab

Unfortunately, from elsewhere in the world, the suggestions we got in the first round were less specific. I know from personal experience that there is a lot of great Pakistani food to be found in Canada, in the UK, all over Europe and in the Far East. I am hoping we will get more specific suggestions in the second round.

Toronto has a large Pakistani population and many Pakistani restaurants; especially in Gerrard Street (Toronto’s mini-Devon). Our readers suggest Lasani, Iqbal Tikka House and Lahore Tikka House (which, we are told, is actually owned by a Lahori!

United Kingdom
Some readers lament that there are lots of ‘desi’ restaurants in the UK, especially London, but not too many real ‘Pakistani’ ones. Amongst the exceptions that have been suggested are: Mirch Masala (branches in Tooting and in Streatham) and the very highly recommended Salloo’s in Knightsbridge.

Far East
We are told that in Kuala Lumpur there is a small dhaaba called Pakeeza (off Federal Highway in Petaling Jaya). “The Lahori chef there will cook things ‘desi style’ if you ask him to and will even do paaya and nehari on request in advance.” In Singapore, there is Saffron (in Clark Quay).

So, that is it for now. We hope to hear your views on these and of any others you would add. Especially outside of the United States.

85 Comments on “ATP’s Best Pakistani Food Outside Pakistan – v0.01”

1. Zain says:
    September 25th, 2006 1:17 am

Yayyy DC is represented thrice :)
    Too bad it costs too much to eat desi food regularly for a poor college kid like me.

2. Shivam says:
    September 25th, 2006 3:14 am

There is a Lahori food restaurant in Mumbai, called Sigree, which actually has a chef from Lahore. I’m told it’s very good, I’ve never been to Mumbai!

3. Saad says:
    September 25th, 2006 3:36 am

For Singapore:

Usman Restaraunt – Serangoon Road near Mustafa Shopping Mall.

Daawat – Singapore Expo Center

4. Trekker says:
    September 25th, 2006 6:10 am

I agree with Suleman and Sadia — in the D.C. metro area Ravi Kabob house has the best chicken and kabob karahi, hands-down. Their ‘champain’ (lamb chops) are also one of the best I’ve had. Ravi just opened a new location/extension right opposite its current one –

5. Trekker says:
    September 25th, 2006 6:24 am

In New York I have never been much impressed by Kabob King and the other Jackson Heights restaurants (do want to try ‘Desi Chinese King’ some day). However we really like Haandi on Lexington Ave — the great thing about it being that it is open 24 hrs. I’ve had sehri there after a long night at work (those were my consulting days). Yummy parathas! NY restaurants though do seem to have this penchant for just re-heating and microwaving the food — you’re never sure how fresh what you’re ordering is going to be.

In London there is a great place called I think nLahore Lahore in Hendon and I think they’ve opened a new location as well.

6. September 25th, 2006 8:16 am

In Germany, I would only suggest Mumtaz Mahal Restaurant in Heidelberg, which offers good service and nice food, their mostly customers are Americans and British. Actually there are many Pakistani restaurants in Germany but they have to put the name as an indian restaurant, otherwise Germans would hardly go and eat there. Its stereotyped in Germany that anything if you sell with the name of Pakistan they wont bother to buy but just put the lable of India on the same thing and you will see all Germans will close their eyes and buy it. I know a shopkeeper from Pakistan who sells Mangoes and Basmati rice by putting the lable of India as he says otherwise Germans wont touch them. No doubt why many Pakistanis in Germany prefer to sell Italien Pizza instead of calling themselves indians and selling the Pakistani food with the name of only Indian food.

September 25th, 2006 12:19 pm

Bihari Kababs at ‘Pakwan’ in Hayward California are the best

8. Kumail says:
    September 25th, 2006 1:49 pm

The restaurants mentioned on gerrard street in toronto arent really that great.
    In the downtown area and surroundings – not suburbs like Mississauga etc, the best Pakistani food place is Eqbal foods in Thorncliffe.

9. September 25th, 2006 2:03 pm

10. Farooq Malik says:
    September 25th, 2006 2:20 pm

There is a good review of Ravi Kabob on Food Washington –

As for the UK, the Best Pakistani food i’ve ever had outside of pakistan is probably at the Lahore Karahi restaurant in Southall outside London. They are very very clean and the food is very very good.

11. pindiwalla says:
    September 25th, 2006 6:00 pm

Best Lamb karahi @ Ravi Kebab House in DC area
    Best Bihari Kebab @ Abshar in DC area

12. Adnan Ahmad says:
    September 25th, 2006 9:35 pm

RAVi in d.c. on Glebe Road would be my pick. I could write a long qaseeda here but suffice it to say that they have karahi (especially chicken and this is from someone who doesn’t like chicken) and seekh kababs down to science. I am certain that it is better than many top notch dhaabaas in Pakistan. I must write that there is a slight chance of being disappointed with karahi in this literal hole when there are 30 people waiting in line to be seated on already occupied 10 or so small tables. The place gets overcrowded and the load on their small kitchen can be immense. They recently opened an almost identical branch opposite the original shop.

The story of its owner and his humble beginnings
    could be a post in itself.

13. Roshan Malik says:
    September 25th, 2006 11:08 pm

There is no Pakistani restaurant here in Carbondale IL, but I became a wonderful cook since I am here in USA :). My friends here really love chicken karahi at my home.

BTW i really liked Sabri Nehari at Devon…

14. Captain's Log says:
    September 25th, 2006 11:25 pm

Shalimar , Bay Area. the best ?? You must be kidding. It’s the worst of all, people have seen mouses in their locations. I have been in Chicago for couple of years and now I am in bay area so I could safely recommend “Tikka Masala” of San francisco.

Being a poor student in Chicago, Ghareeb Nawaz was always my pick. Life could not be better at that time w/o that restaurant.

15. Shahran Asim says:
    September 26th, 2006 10:36 am

AoA All,

This my first post on this topic of eating places. Here is my recommendation since I have lived in Chicago and now moved to the Big Apple.

Chicago’s TOP Restaurants:

Sabri Nihari:
    [quote post="323"]The best Nihari in US with a TAZAA Roti. When we were in Chicago we used to eat there most of the time. Biryani is also good.It is on the famous Devon Ave. Now it has three branches including two in the Chicagoland area and one in Houston. Halal KFC is there another feature in their cap.

Checkout their website: http://www.sabriniharicom

Italian Express:
    Good Desi, Italian food with a mix of Pakistani touch.
    Two branches in Chicago area. The best part of it is
    the hot buns served with small butter cubes which reminds me my days on flying on a PIA domestic flights when the air hostess delivers those treats. Not sure if they still server or not.

Already mentioned before best food, now they have a separate chinese restaurant in the old place at Devon.
    A brown fried chicken shop is also another project of Usmania.

Already mentioned before. You can get frozen samosa’s and rolls that you store for days for ramadhan.
    I like their succulent RAS MALAI and HABSHI HALWA. Can be shipped:

Ambala Sweets:
    If someone wants to give a real to his taste buds, try Ambalaa’s payraa’s with geniune Pakistani taste.They also ship all over the US

Royal Sweets:
    Best Patteeesa in chicago. Followed by the one at Tahoora.

New York’s Top:
    Kabab King:
    The only thing is best is the Behari Kabab, Chicken Tikka and Seekh Kabab. Everything else is ordinary.

KALONJI: (Long Island , NY)
    Nice desi and Chinese food.

Best RAS-MALAI in NY.

Best Pakistani sweets in New York.
    Try their “Milk Cake” aka “KHOYAA”.

Halal Kitchen
    71-12 Grand Avenue, Maspeth, NY 11378-1851

Not a Pakistani restaurant but it one of the best authentic Chinese Halal food. I have seeb people coming here as far as Virginia. Food is cheap but nice. Owners a chinese.
    Try their Triaki Beef Steaks and other Chinese food such as General Tao’s Chicken or Sezhuan chicken.[/quote]

16. Saniya Ansari says:
    September 26th, 2006 6:17 pm

Yes in Kuala Lumpur, Pakeeza is one of the only few “Pakistani” resturants.. the food quality unfortunetly has really gone down since I first went there ( I was in Malaysia for around 10 years so there are not many Desi food places to talk about there :( ).

17. September 27th, 2006 11:40 pm

18. Altamash Mir says:
    September 28th, 2006 12:29 am

Hey all…
    I’d like to add to my previous submissions..

Best Lahori Chargha = Lahore Grill, Off-Devon Ave, Chicago
    Best Kashmiri Tea = King Sweets, Devon Ave, Chicago
    Cheapest and very good Chicken Biryani = Ghareeb Nawaz Restaurant, Devon Ave, Chicago.

I dont mean to offend the person who commented on Italian Express in Chicago, but personally I hate the place. I have had the best and the worst Italian food in most US Italian neighborhoods and Italian express doesnt even come close to a “Real Italian” taste.

19. Shahran Asim says:
    September 28th, 2006 12:42 pm

Well I am not saying that it is authentic Italian food. It is italian cum pakistani food.I am too used to the likes of LUCIANO’s, a famous italian restaurant in brooklyn but atleast I have some limitations on eating beef and chicken as most of them are not Halal.

I have not been able to find a single Italian “HALAL”.

Would appreciate if you could provide us a list.

20. Shahed says:
    September 28th, 2006 3:00 pm

Please add any good finds you come across to so that I can share it with others!

21. Eidee Man says:
    September 29th, 2006 3:42 am

Those looking for Halal food should go to It is a highly exhaustive list of halal restaurants located throughout the world. Even those who do not “keep” zabihah will find it a good guide to look up Pakistani/Middle-Eastern places.

22. alibhai says:
    September 29th, 2006 3:56 am

Bilal restaurant on manchester blvd near LAX is the best in Los Angeles. They easily trump everyother place both in quality and quantity on plate.

23. Faisal Baloch says:
    September 30th, 2006 10:38 pm

Did anybody mention Chutney Restaurant in Springfield, VA? I think it is one of the best in Northern VA and I like pretty much everything in this restaurant.

24. Faisal Baloch says:
    October 1st, 2006 2:01 pm

Speaking of Non-Pakistani Halal Food….I would definitley recommend Amina Thai Restaurant for the people living or visiting DC metro area or maryland/virginia around DC metro. It’s the best Non Pakistani Halal food I have ever had. The restaurant is run by native thai woman.
    check out its website.

25. October 3rd, 2006 12:43 pm

one of the best pakistani restaurants outside of pakistan reminds one of lahore without being in lahore fantastic mashallah welldone saffron desi

26. shbn says:
    October 3rd, 2006 7:26 pm

I very well remember a khokha a.k.a dhaba in the St. Denis area in Paris. Totally no-name and unknown to the tourists, but they definitely had the best(est) homestyle food I’ve had away from desiland. Their karhi was awesome!! They had chapatis too. And the best part was the price, i.e. students could afford it easily.

27. shbn says:
    October 3rd, 2006 7:31 pm

[quote comment="3382"]A little surprised still to find no nominations from Dubai and the Gulf/Middle East region. Any tips?[/quote]

Adil, there are so many good pakistani khokhay in Dubai, but no names come to mind. Since Pakistanis are not into the “dining” experience, most of us will eat at a crummy place if the food tastes good :)

28. Hans says:
    October 5th, 2006 5:29 pm

As far as I know there is no Pakistani place here in Geneva. There are many Indian places. I served in Pakistan for two years and love Pakistani food. I wish there was a good one here. If someone knows of it please let me know. Thanks.

29. Sohail says:
    October 6th, 2006 11:17 am

That is such a great comment open up a quality pakistani joint here in boston … I recently moved from Chicago a few months ago and miss the great food I used to have… But we have been able to find a few places in MA too

[quote comment="3223"]I am sad that I have not found a single good Pakistani restaurant in Boston in the past 9 years. A Pakistani resturant opened here a few years ago but closed down – probably due to not having enough business.

I hope somebody can find a business plan around this that would work in Boston – maybe a franchise? If dozens of Indian restaurants with similar-tasting curries can make money, why not a distinctively Pakistani restaurant? Where do I find my Chicken Karahi, Nihari, Paaey, Haleem, Behaari Kebab, Gola kebaab, Andaa Aaloo, and Nargisi Keftay. Chicken Tikka Masalas and Chicken Vidaloo just don’t do it for me :(.[/quote]

30. Sohail says:
    October 6th, 2006 11:27 am

Okay now there are very limited paki joints or desi joints with paki taste in MA. We were not so happy when we moved here from chicago … chicago being the desi restaurant capital of the US… But here is my list for Pak joints and some others

All-time die hard paki fav. of mine in the US is

SABRI NIHARI (Chicago)…. nothing comes close to them …

Now since we are in the Boston area .. here are our finds so far in Greater Boston

For Good Chicken Tikka / Boti, Nice Haleem, Avg. Nihari, Chapli (Madina Market)
    For Awesome Seekh Kababs, (Kabab & Tandoor in Waltham, MA) they only serve parathas but the kababs are awesone
    For Desi style Pizzas (ch. Tikka) & Chapli (Boston Kabab & Pizza in Allston, MA) they dont have tandoori naans though
    Real good Tandoori Naans (Bombay club)
    A lot of ppl say Punjaabi and India Dhaaba are good too .. have not tried yet …
    Best Bihari Kabab (drive down to Ny to Sagar Restaurant)
    Real Good Bun Kabab (Hotbreads in Framingham, MA)
    Best Persian Food, Like Rezas in chicago (Kolbeh of Kabab, Cambridge, MA or LaLa Rokh, Beacon Hill)
    Best Labanese Gyro, Shawerma etc (Reef Cafe)
    Best Shawerma ( either Boston Shawerma or Shawerma King)
    Best Afghani (Helmand in Cambridge, MA)
    Best Steaks, non zabihah though … (Flemings/Grill 23 in Back Bay)
    Best Chinese, non zabihah but spicy desi flavor (Grand Chaw Chaw).. ask for their house spicy sauce
    Best Sheesha/Hookah (Tangerino’s in Charlestown or Kashmir on Newbury St. or drive to NY for Le Souk)
    Best Dessert, chocolate molten cake (Finale $10 or try them at Beard Papa in Fannueil Hall for $2) or try Mikes Pastries in the North End
    Best Paki Grocery (Cheema in Allston)

and more to follow as we try more … lol

31. Babar says:
    October 6th, 2006 12:54 pm

I find it hard to read this during day time in Ramadan!

In lates 90s there used to be a Pakistani restaurant “Hunza” in Roppongi, Tokyo. As the only restaurant in Tokyo area we used to take a 1.5hr train ride to eat there.

In Dallas I like “Haveli” near the airport – especially its Lahori Chargha.

The problem with Pakistani restaurants is the incosistent quality & lack of good service. Whenever an experienced chef runs away the restaurant gets in trouble.

Can’t we have a chain restaurant model like Olive Garden with Pakistani/desi food? or is there too much of a personal touch needed which cannot be turned into a franchise approach?

32. naqvi says:
    October 6th, 2006 8:02 pm

For Singapore:

Usman Restaraunt – Serangoon Road near Mustafa Shopping Mall.

Daawat – Singapore Expo Center

they sucks
    there is a North indian stall in tempanies mall owned by a paki food is good our there

33. Imtiaz says:
    October 9th, 2006 8:58 pm

Next time in Tokyo, try the Gandhara Restaurant

34. Dubai Challo says:
    October 22nd, 2006 3:22 am

to an earlier question, no there are no good Pakistani food places in Dubai. lots of standard fare but nothing that you could reccomend really… sad but true

35. Ibrahim says:
    October 23rd, 2006 5:36 pm

Do not have any reccomendations. But I wish there was a good Pakistani food place here in Sao Paulo, Brazil… woudl have loved a nice Pakistani meal on Eid day!

36. Asadullah says:
    October 24th, 2006 1:26 am

Why not also do a post on best eating places IN Pakistan

37. Jake says:
    October 26th, 2006 4:11 pm

hey. nice site. i love Tehoora in Chiacago which a freind introduced me to.

38. Veronica says:
    October 28th, 2006 2:30 am

I may be late here, but could some pls. suggest a good Pakistani place in Los Angeles

39. Riaz F. says:
    October 28th, 2006 10:39 pm

If you are looking in Los Angeles, then try Shahnawaz Tandoori in Lakewood. Nothing fancy, but good food.

40. Veronica says:
    October 30th, 2006 12:08 pm

Thank you for that tip. Appreciate it.

41. October 31st, 2006 12:26 am

world Famous Mumtaz chain of Restaurants

Mumtaz Restaurant Great Horton Road Bradford
    one of the first asian restaurants in UK -its a multi million pound chain of supermarket pakistani cooked meals

here is their web link

42. Hussain says:
    November 2nd, 2006 1:54 pm

I think you CANNOT get Pakistani food in the UK at all. What has developed is a new composite of South Asian-British food. Something totally oroginal to the UK now but not really Pakistani any more. Much like man of British Pakistanis ;-)

43. Haider says:
    November 6th, 2006 7:51 pm

Pakistani food in London a traditional lahori pakistani food/khana/maza place, staff are all pakistani, reasonably priced, Lamb chops to die for, this place is constantly buzzing, while interning at a bank this summer the most important job I had was to get lunch from this place every friday.

lovely jubli. If that’s not authentic enough for you try Lahore Kebab House, 5 mins away & cheaper. although pple are allowed to take their own sharab there i think.

44. G.A. says:
    November 10th, 2006 6:14 am

Pakistani food in Dublin, Ireland:

Khyber Tandoori – A bit expensive but really good food and service.

Madina – cheap pakistani food in a casual setting.

45. Yours Truly says:
    November 24th, 2006 1:01 am

Salaam to All:

In San francisco, a hole-in-wall like place called Lahore Karahi is one to check out:

In LA, I second the recommendation on Bilal’s Restaurant near thge LAX airport. Here’s the phone #: 310-641-4435.

46. Shazia says:
    December 30th, 2006 7:46 pm

I travel a fair bit over the uk, and these are the main ones I like dining at..

Village Curry House (Tradeston)
    Kebabish (Victoria Road)

Pink Garlick (Wilmslow Road)
    Akbars (they originate from Bradford)
    Fuzion (Wilmslow Road)- Thai Chinese cuisine

Mirch masala (Southall)
    Roshni (Southall)
    Lahore Kebab House
    Sahara Grill

Hope its of some help :) AH

PS Eid Mubarak!!

47. Saro says:
    February 1st, 2007 12:55 am

For London Tayyab and Mirch Masala are great. Though I still prefer the Lahore Kebab House on Umberston St (make sure you get the right one as there are several called Lahore in the area).
    In Southall there’s another Mirch Masala, but the Nagina Karahi on the High Street is even better.

48. The Pakistanian says:
    February 1st, 2007 12:10 pm

I am really surprised not to see any places from New Jersey make the list here (since NJ has one of the largest number Pakistani in the US). I’d like to recommend Shah Nawaz in Edison NJ. Their restaurant is okay but they have a weekend brunch buffet in their banquet hall, and I have yet to see a buffet with so much selection in the US. And the food is amazing too. Another place I’d like to mention is Mirch Masala in Fremont (Bay Area) CA. This guy has the best desi chinese I have had in the US, he also has a nice blend of desi and Italian dishes, pretty unique.

49. The Pakistanian says:
    February 1st, 2007 12:17 pm

Sorry about that, but the place in Fremont CA is called Mirchi NOT Mirch Masala. Thanks

50. Bibba says:
    February 10th, 2007 7:33 pm

For the best methai it has to be the one and only [quote post="323"]Ambala Sweets[/quote]
    , it is named after a place in India but the owners are Pakistani and its been going strong MashAllah for over 45 years now that must mean they are good. Plus they have a US store in Chicago and an internet order service that ships world wide…..No I do not work for them, I just love Kaju Katri thats all :)

51. Wasiq Ali says:
    February 11th, 2007 12:41 pm

Sabri Nihari in Chicago is the only real place for Nihari in North America.

Why is the Kabab scene so much better than Nihari and Paya? And is there no good Paya place? Will Phajja of Lahore ever branch out to Devon in Chicago or to Toronto?

52. Wasiq Ali says:
    February 11th, 2007 12:49 pm

Re Bilal Zuberi’s comment on Boston. The city has Pakistani academics, students and doctors and obviously these guys settle for less in culinary matters. Have you tried Madina Cafe on Brighton Avenue, though? The food is authentic and while not comparable to Lahore’s walled city or Chicago’s Devon, good enough for a tired, hungry Pakistani in Boston.

53. March 12th, 2007 2:05 pm

[...] Yes we want an explosion of taste; but how big an explosion! From the look of things in this picture, however, its a sales pitch that seems to work. I guess national pride, culinary passions, and that whiff of nostalgia added by the Amritsar mention are a winning formula. Plus, nothing like food to get us Lahoris excited. [...]

54. March 19th, 2007 5:14 pm

Finland, well there is only one Paki restaurant here, its called Peshawar,, their food is good its not bad, it has lost some of the spices while coming to finland, 2/5, but we cant complain,

55. March 22nd, 2007 10:10 am

sallam u alikum
    my name is anwar and i am from the uk and i like it very much

best regards

56. Wadood Chaudhary says:
    March 26th, 2007 12:54 pm

After living in New Jersey for 12 years and visiting each Pqakistanir esturant several times, I can safely say that there is not one resturant in New Jersey which if it were in Pakistan, it would have remained open for long. The taste does not amount to resturant quality. It is because most of them have used their Chef-Visas to get their relatives in. I believe most Pakistani resturants in USA would have been shut long ago had it not been for the Halal factor.

In NYC, Kababish is as good a resturant as it gets. Kabab King is good but it is no more the king – ever since its chef has left.

I ate few times in Chicago, Dewaan street and Toronto’s Gerrad, and found the quality very good of Sabri and Chandnai Something – almost as good as any decent resturant in Karachi.

57. tina says:
    April 13th, 2007 10:29 am

When in Munich, Germany, try the “Dheeba”–it is run by a Rawalpindi native and unlike others in Germany advertises as a Pakistani restaurant, not Indian. The “Dheeba” is a short walk from the Alte Kunst complex of museums and serves the standards–I really like the kormas.

Bon appetit, Tina

P.S. It is trendy at the moment and requires reservations for the peak dinner hours.

58. Hani Al- Houney says:
    August 1st, 2007 1:32 pm

If ever in MONTEREY, CA., the best halal place (and so far, the only) happens to be owned and operated by a Lahori family. KHANS KABOB HOUSE, on Hamilton Ave, Seaside, CA. 93955.
    Here, aside from the loving mom and pops environment (amma or abu if you will). Everything tastes the way it would at home, my favorite is the Chicken Korma dish and their Biryani is amazing. Enjoy!

59. waqar says:
    August 18th, 2007 3:21 pm

shalimar on oaktree rd,iselin,New Jersey has great pakistani food!!! Also on oaktree is shahnawaz which isn’t bad!!! In edison,NJ on oaktree rd is Shezan which I’ve heard was the first pakistani restaurant in New Jersey!!! New Jersey has sizeable pakistani population especially in edison and the woodbridge township area were I live.

60. Ryan says:
    September 11th, 2007 6:46 pm

The best food (regardless of category) in London is New Tayyabs in East London.

New Tayyabs
    83-89, Fieldgate St.
    London E1 1JU

Amazing food – I am still dreaming about the succulent lam cbop starter – favorite dish ever. Here’s what their website says: “Tayyabs was opened by Mr. Mohammed Tayyab in East London in early 1974 and quickly became a success with the traditional Pakistani Punjabi food. We serve 100 % HALAL and we have been highly recommended by TOP UK Guides”.

61. Kiran says:
    September 17th, 2007 6:36 am

Yayyy DC is represented thrice

62. Omar Farooq says:
    October 15th, 2007 4:32 pm

The best Chapli Kebab I have had outside of Pakistan would have to be in Edison, NJ at a place called Shalimar!

63. Syed Hafeez Imran says:
    October 20th, 2007 9:07 am

I can suggest some in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Hyatt Restaurant Hara
    (NOT part of the Hyatt Hotels chain!)
    Fresh home cooked food. can be ordered as u like (oil, spice) try their Chicken khara MAsala (On bone), Nihari and Qeema Excellent Naans. Great Value

Shola Restaurant Olaya
    Similar to Hyatt. try their Special Soup and Nihari

Red Onion Restaurant Olaya
    Slightly more upscale. Try Achari chicken and Kebobs, Decent Salad bar

Alhamra Restaurant Hara
    Not the best ambiance, however clean enough
    try Chicken Tikka, Nihari, Daal

Faran Reataurant Hara
    Fast service, cheap prices. Tasty Chicken Tikka, Daal, Pilao (Thursday & friday0

Lahori Khabay Hara
    ( NOT my favourite, but popular)

For Bihari kebobs, best place is Khayam Restuarant behind Petromin Office near Hara. An Indian restaurant rather than Pakistani Excellent parathas. try other dishes if u r feeling adventurous. Heavy spices, cream Indian style

64. lethal212Khalid says:
    November 7th, 2007 7:23 pm

Limerick Ireland.

Authentic Pakistani food is hard to come across, although there are a couple of restaurants claiming to sell Pakistani food. The best I stumbled upon was Global Foods, Davis St. Superb setting and take-away recipes…. What more can a brother ask for?

65. Zarina says:
    November 10th, 2007 10:56 am

Hi. I was sad to see the comment saying there are no good Pakistani restaurants in Boston. But are there any close seconds? I’d like to find a restaurant that has zabiha halal meat that has good quorma and kabobs and maybe some fresh tandoori naan. Indian will do. Could anyone make some suggestions?

66. Adam Insaan says:
    November 10th, 2007 11:38 am

Recently I was in Paris,
    -although we travelled quite a lot up an down the Boulevards,
    we tried some restaurants, Indian/Pakistanii

67. Tanveer says:
    November 11th, 2007 3:22 am

This is my first post for Pakistaniat. I have lived in France. I guess no one has suggested a restaurant in France. Let me tell you about some restaurants that are famous for Pakistani food.

In Paris there is a whole street full of pakistani and indian cousine called ” rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis” but frankly i have not eaten any thing except one samosa and tea at small corner shop there.

However i have visited two restaurants in Lyon in south France.Le Ravi and Le Karachi , both restaurant offer a range of pakistani and indian cousine. Both restaurants have started their bussiness in early Eighties.

Le Ravi is famous for its Rice and Tandoori while Le Karachi is good for its vegetable recipies.

68. Arfan Naveed says:
    November 16th, 2007 1:33 pm

I live in London, UK and can honestly say there are dozens of Pakistani Restuarants. Of course everyone has their own opinion’s on how good they are ,which is fair enough.

As everyone knows London city has a very large popoulation of Pakistani’s spread all over the city.

I will do my comment in two stages:

The first part showing areas of London (like Jackson Heights, NY and Devons Road, Chicago) where walking down the road will feel like walking down any Pakistani City, with the hustle and bustle of people, and of course desi shops; be it for eating, clothing, music or barbers.

1.) Green Street is the most famous. It is located in an East London surburb full of Pakistani’s, about 30 minutes from Central London on the Tube underground. Are in the process of building a Plaza just like back home.

Easy to get to. Upton Park Tube Station on the District and Hammersmith & City lines is on Green Street itself.

2.) The surburb of Walthamstow in East London has a good sized Pakistani population. Two main area’s of interest are the High Street and Hoe Street. Everything is a bit more spread out here compare to Green Street, but still a must. High Street has also the longest street market in Europe (not just desi but others)

Takes about 25 minutes from Central London. Come of at Walthamstow Central Tube Station on the Victoria line.

3.) Ilford Lane in the Suburb of Ilford in the North East on London. Abit harder to get to, as it does not have a Tube Station at its door step.

Nearest transport is Barking Tube Station on the District and Hammersmith & City lines, about a 20 minute walk.

Or abit more complicated. Catch the British Rail Train from Liverpool Street Station in Central London To Ilford Town Train Station, which is a 5 minute walk.

In terms of Restaurants, here is the pick of my bunch:

1) Khans.

They put it under Indian section, but in the UK they do that to most pakistani places, i suppose to make it easier for the English. Is in a great location in Central London. One concern, not as good as years gone but still can’t knock it.

2) New Tayyabs

They just did this place up in the last year or so. It is in the heart of the largest bangladeshi area of Whitechapel in East London. Located behind the magnificent East London Mosque. A class place for a meal, always queues of people.,3605,1476932,00.html

3) Lahore Kebab House

One of the first to open up in the whole country and still going strong. Also located in Whitechapel, East London. A great place for a meal.

Excuse the long comment. I have to do some justice to London. There are many other places, believe me, with a population of over half a million Pakistani’s just in London; we love to eat.

Email me for any info, i will try to help.

69. Shafaq says:
    November 21st, 2007 2:40 pm

i wish i had found this page earlier. i have comments. im very passionate about food. and even more passionate about good paki food. u can not be a true lahori otherwise.
    so ever since america, i have come to the conclusion that ppl here r not even trying to imitate the paki food style. they have their own new paki-merican food. which is south asian because it has a lot of spice in it, but not really pakistani finger lickin goods ‘cos, they’re lacking our style.
    i wud b willing to pay much to get the same taste as in pakistan, remaining here in america.

70. Ijaz says:
    November 29th, 2007 5:42 am

Al-Markaz: Pretty good Bihari-Kebab.

Very good Nihari and good grilled items. A very large brunch on weekends (food quality is pretty good). Couple of years ago Sabri (guy from chicago) openned one of his location here in dallas a block from BBQ-Tonite but had to close down within a year.

Bandu-Khan is pretty good. Note a huge menu but food is typical Pakistani style.

71. Himayun Mirza says:
    December 1st, 2007 9:20 pm

Best Desi food in Singapore?

Can anybody tell me where to go for the best Desi (Pakistani) style food in Singapore? I would be going there for the first time on vacation for a week. In fact I would greatly appreciate if somebody could specify me what is good and where? Like for kabobs, Nihari, Korma, Naan, tikka, etc.

I did get some idea from this thread and greatly appreciate the wonderful effort. I also agree that there is nothing good around Boston Area. I hope that somebody can and would start a good Pakistani food place. Please email me a copy of your suggestions or recommendations, no matter how small.

72. koonfiroow says:
    December 4th, 2007 10:58 pm

It is one happy holiday of many Muslim happy holidays.

73. ali m.m. khan says:
    December 4th, 2007 11:48 pm

I can certainly endorse Ravi Kebab in Virginia (DC metro Area)its great….. as well as the original, the very first one, hole in the wall or as they say “dive” in new york, the Roti Boti on 21st& astoria blvd. in Astoria, Queens. New York City. the one in jackson heights is not as good. Quite surprisingly i went there today witha friend

74. Aamer says:
    January 8th, 2008 4:13 pm

Just a note:
    Tahoora, in Chicago, is not Pakistani owned and/or serve Pakistani snacks.
    It is operated and serve Indian style Mithai and snacks. The owners are Hyderabadi Muslims.
    I must admit though, their mithai don’t have that typical smell of an Indian food or mithai.

75. Kruman says:
    January 15th, 2008 2:47 am

Shalimar is the best, branches in Fremont, San Francisco and Sunnyvale.

76. Pat Mortimer says:
    February 18th, 2008 11:47 am

I am trying to find out where in the USA I can purchase canned Hurda Fruit for a medical condition. Any suggestions?

77. Zed says:
    July 11th, 2008 10:16 am

Chowdreys Restaurant – Bradford

342 Great Horton Road
    Bradford BD7 1QJ

Now under new management! New menus and new chefs.

Seating two hundred people Chowdreys Restaurant serves the best in Indian / Kashmiri food, with a wide variety of meat & non-meat dishes – see all our new menus online.

We serve traditonal desi breakfast from 9AM till 2PM. See our Naashtah Menu.

Chowdreys NEW desserts section is now open ice cream section with over 10 different flavours along with 10 different types of cakes! Freshly made milkshakes, falooda, lassi and fruit cocktails.

78. Abbas says:
    July 20th, 2008 3:46 am

I am planning to move to Boston, MA area. I am trying to search what are the areas with paksitani population. What neighbourhoods are better to find accomodation, rental units. Which neighbourhoods have the Pakistani/indian grocery stores.
    Any information to help me settle in Boston, MA will be helpful.
    BTW: I will be working near Danvers

79. tasneem aalam says:
    August 27th, 2008 5:23 pm

one of the best restaurants outside pakistan is sahar restaurant in Abu Dhabi, UAE…they have the bestest nihari in town

80. Hashmi says:
    March 29th, 2009 8:04 am

Yes, the Sahar in Abu Dhabi (UAE) is a good restaurant but the Karachi Darbar in Dubai serves out of this world Kababs and pooris. We spent three days in Sharjah apparently sightseeing and ended up eating non-stop at the Darbar! Also, the New Nemat Kada in Abu Dhabi serves an awesome Butter Chicken and Paneer Tikka Masala. Give it a try :)

81. juicy says:
    June 10th, 2009 7:55 am

In Paris…..classic interior, nice location near la fayette…. restaurant et bilal.they also have a branch near the eiffel tower. it was eid the day we dined in there and belive me we have never been given a free welcome drink and kulfi in our country but pakistani hotels outside pakistan maintain our values and culture.

82. quang_ming says:
    July 14th, 2009 12:58 am

I would delete Saffron from your comment relating to Singapore because it is not (and doesn’t claim to be) Pakistani but certainly serves good North Indian food. The one place (believe it’s the only place) for authentic Pakistani food is a dhaaba by the name of Usman Restaurant located just off Serangoon Road in Little India. Serves excellent nehari, haleem and taazi naan (hard to find in Singapore!).

83. Himayun Mirza says:
    July 31st, 2009 10:27 pm

Last year I went to the second largest city of Malaysia called Kota Kinabalu, in Sabah province. Obviously I was looking for a nice desi place to eat. Most of the local and Indian restaurants there have some sugar in their meat dishes even though they are spicy. I do not like any hint of sugar in my meat dishes.

However, I found a wonderful restaurant with the best naans I ever ate in my life. They had piping hot naan coming out of the oven and we could order from simple to garlic to cheese naan. The whole lunch can be as cheap as $1 to 2. Yes this is not a misprint!

Initially I was afraid to go to a place called “Taliban Food Center” but the rave reviews and the desire to eat desi food got the better of me.

If any of you ever go to Brunei then Kota Kinabalu is only a 3-4 hours ferry ride. Or visit Borneo Penensula of Malaysia please check this out. You cannot find better food in this price even in Pakistan and India.

BTW, Its name has nothing to do with Pakistan or Afghanistan let alone Taliban. Go figure! Check these pictures and the prices. One USD is more than 3.6 Malaysian Ringet.

84. Ram says:
    February 4th, 2010 11:24 am

I live in New Jersey, and yes, it’s a shame there’s no Pakistani restaurant here. The one in Edison is a poor apology for any cuisine. We have a small hole-in-the-wall joint+halal meat shop in Franklin, near Princeton where I live, but it’s the standard curry-in-a-hurry type run by Bangladeshis. I’m waiting for the day things will cool down and one can travel the length and breadth of Pakistan & Afghanistan on a culinary adventure. Hopefully, it will be in my lifetime.

I went to Mumbai recently and discovered Bukhara at the ITC Maratha Grand Sheraton. Excellent! Pricier than the eternal Bade Mian (on the street, only at night, behind Taj Palace) but perhaps one of the best in the country. But then, which self-respecting Pakistani would hunt for Pakistani cuisine in India, eh?! (Rather than look for dosa & idli).

85. Jacob S Noah says:
    June 5th, 2010 5:37 am

Your child’s favourite food here Ice Cream, assorted flavors with toppings. Do want Register Click here and join with us