Assorted Songs of Shehki

Posted on July 24, 2009
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Music, People, Urdu

Owais Mughal

I started this afternoon by watching a Mohammad Ali Shehki song on youtube. Besides enjoying his musical mastery, the song also brought back some memories. One song led to another and before I realized I had watched his 10 songs. Should I also say that ‘gaane dekhta gaya aur post banti gayee’. Seen below is an assorted collection of Shehki songs. I will also try to punctuate the musical post below with some information about Shehki.

(1) payam-e-mashriq

Before we go on to watch Shehki’s more famous songs, I was happily surprised to find following video. It shows Mohammad Ali Shehki and Mahjabeen Qazlibash singing Allama Iqbals’ farsi poem called ‘payam-e-mashriq’. From the looks, it appears this song must be from 1970s.

Along with Alamgir and Nazia-Zohaib duo, Mohammad Ali Shehki is credited as the pioneers of pop music in Pakistan. These guys were singing it much before the trend caught on in 90s when every gorup of 4 teenagers started to form their own band.

(2) alwidaa

(3) hum raat buhat roay Poetry of Ibn-e-Insha

In the following clip, Mohammad Ali Shehki sings this famous work of Ibn-e-Insha.

(4) ek hi naam ke kitne chehray

(5) mere bachpan ke din

This is a famous duet of Mohammad Ali Shehki and Afshan Ahmed. This song was recoreded for PTV Karachi’s program Rang Tarang.

Music Composer: Sohail Rana
Program Producer: Saira Kazmi

(6) meri aankhon se is dunya ko dekho

(7) hain nazar nazar tere hi jalway

(8) mein bhi Pakistan hooN

Poet: Sehba Akhtar
Composer: Sohail Rana

(9) humma humma kar bhayya

This famous duet is with Allan Faqir.

(10) pareshaan ho ke meri khaak aakhir..

Shehki’s sings a poem from Iqbal’s baal-e-Jibrael

Trivia:

1. Mohammad Ali Shehki was a student of NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi. but later made his career as an Aviation Engineer.

2. Shehki gave first audition at PTV in 1973 where Sohail Rana chose him for the song ‘sambhal, sambhal kar chalna hai.’ This song was recorded for Karachi television station’s program, ‘Naghma zaar.’

3. Shehki also took part in movies as an actor. His debut film ‘Son of undata,’ (1987) and ‘Choron ka badshah.’ (1988).

References:

1. Songs of Mohammad Ali Shehki at muziqpakistan.com

13 Comments on “Assorted Songs of Shehki”

1. Anwar says:
    July 24th, 2009 10:52 pm

Wonderful post. Enjoyed every bit…. Thanks

2. ShahidnUSA says:
    July 24th, 2009 11:23 pm

In Dukhtare Khale Zeba Hust
    Mardoom? Maloom Neest

Tashakuran!

3. Majida Tufail Hanel says:
    July 25th, 2009 6:41 am

Thanx a lot for your efforts to compile this collection of yesteryears. Along with the songs, lots of memories were revived, in th very sense of “mere bachpan kay din” …. :)

4. Shahran says:
    July 25th, 2009 8:04 am

Enjoying listening to the Persian which used to be the language of South Asia. These days only the students in Madrassahs get to learn this language , wonder why our so called elite schools left it out of and hence we are unable to enjoy the great literature in persian

5. Gardezi says:
    July 25th, 2009 10:29 am

Aah. great memories. Thanks.

Wonder what has happened to Shehki!

6. awahid says:
    July 25th, 2009 1:54 pm

Old is Gold…
    That was good old days with some quality music

7. Razi says:
    July 25th, 2009 8:40 pm

From what I recall, his first hit on PTV was “Mere Pyar ke tu sang sang hae….pyar kiya maen ne dil diya…”

After this there was a long list of hits including “Meri aankhon se is dunya ko dekho, phir jo chaho tu chali jaana”, and the amazing “Humma Humma O pyari…” (Tere Ishq maen jo bhi doob gaya…” song with Allan Faqir.

8. Azlan says:
    July 25th, 2009 10:28 pm

zabardast post its good to see the best songs of one of my favorite singer at on place

9. Gardezi says:
    July 26th, 2009 12:10 am

Now gone through all the songs. Funny to see all his different looks and styles and fashions. Nice selection and memories.

10. Nostalgic says:
    July 29th, 2009 3:50 pm

The Persian poem is lovely, and I would second what Shahran said… I wonder why we have given up on probably the sweetest spoken language in the world…

I wonder if anyone can verify that Shehki came from Iran to study and stayed on? I have heard this from a lot of people… It might explain why he was chosen to sing the Persian song…

July 29th, 2009 4:05 pm

Nostalgic, you are correct about Shehki’s background. His father was in Pk foreign service. Mother is of persian descent and he stayed in Pak for education. Infact Shehki went to NED University, karachi for Engineering degree. Whether he completed his engineering or not, that part i don’t know.

12. Naeem says:
    September 17th, 2009 6:25 pm

Slaam, Please can someone tell me where I can find a song he sung at the PTV 25th anniversary or one of PTV awrads, I believe it was inspired by some Spanish song…….it will be much appreciated

13. Nostalgic says:
    May 13th, 2010 6:11 am

I just had to bump this topic… found two more of Iqbal’s Farsi poems sung by Shehki for PTV’s celebrations of Iqbal’s centenary in 1977… enjoy:

Since I had earlier bemoaned the loss of Farsi in Pakistan, I would also like others interested in learning it to take a look at these lessons:

I have been using these off and on for the past few years, but after discovering Shehki’s Farsi work, I have been going through the lessons rigorously these last few weeks… they are about 20 years old, and colloquial Farsi has changed since, as all languages do, but these lessons remain a great place to start…

Man Farsi Yaad Mi Giram… Zuban-e-Farsi Kheli Shireen Ast!