Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/pakistaniat/public_html/wp-content/plugins/paged-comments.bak/paged-comments.php on line 31
Alamgir: A Pop Singer With Failed Kidneys : ALL THINGS PAKISTAN

Alamgir: A Pop Singer With Failed Kidneys

Posted on October 10, 2008
Filed Under >Cemendtaur, Health & Disease, Music, Pakistanis Abroad, People

A.H. Cemendtaur

Being a perennial skeptical about email money appeals, a message about Alamgir’s health and plea to wire transfer money to a bank account made me decide to check the veracity of the news.

I looked up Alamgir’s telephone number in Georgia and called him up. Luck was with me, I was able to talk directly to Alamgir in quite detail. Here is what I gathered from our telephone conversation.

In 2004, Alamgir was diagnosed with failing kidneys. At that time his kidneys were operating at 50% of their capacity. The kidneys kept deteriorating in their performance and by now they are almost useless. Alamgir needs a kidney transplant, but till he finds new kidneys he would have to go through dialysis, the process of machine-cleaning the blood. For the dialysis to start he went through a surgery on Monday, October 6, at Gwinnett Medical Center, Lawrenceville. In that surgery Alamgir was fitted with a dialysis catheter.

Once the surgical wound is dried up, Alamgir’s dialysis through the catheter would start. Since Alamgir has permanent renal failure, he would go through another surgery in which he would be fitted with surgically created arteriovenous fistula, a preferred approach for dialysis. Surgically created arteriovenous fistula is apparently a more involved surgery and is hence delayed till the patient is in better health through dialysis made possible through catheter.

The main reason Alamgir landed in financial trouble is because he was not carrying any health insurance. Although he sounded fatigued Alamgir spoke with optimism.

He said many Pakistani doctors currently living in the US were studying at either Sindh or Dow Medical College when he was at the peak of his career. They were his friends and he was happy to see them coming to his help. Just a day ago he received a call from Ishrat-Ul-Ibad, Governor of Sindh, who extended his support to Alamgir especially if Alamgir would come to Pakistan for further treatment. Alamgir said he is consulting his doctors for the best approach to take. Currently he is being helped by his wife; Alamgir’s son is studying in Virginia .

So, yes the news about Alamgir’s ailment and the appeal for financial help are authentic. Money should be sent directly to Alamgir’s bank account as given in the email message.

32 comments posted

Comment Pages: [4] 3 2 1 » Show All

1. Aslam Baig says:
    February 13th, 2011 5:53 am

Sorry forgot to mention $50 included
    Appitizer
    Big Dinner and the show @
    Antun’s
    244 Old Country Road, Hicksville NY

Aslam Baig
    ambaig@yahoo.com
    (516) 647-4482

2. Aslam Baig says:
    February 13th, 2011 5:35 am

Karachi Club NY is holding a benefit show for Alamgir on March 19, 2011. He is still going through Dialysis and hoping to go to Pakistan in April and try t0 find a Donner.
    He has Medicare insurance they cover up to 80% of the bill and he pays 20%, i got some of his payed bills just to satisfy some of the critics.
    Transplant surgery in Pakistan or India might cost him about 30 Lacks.
    Anyone wants to help him through Karachi Club, can send checks payable Alamgir Haq and mail to
    2111 5th street, East Meadow NY 11554.
    or if want come to the event its $50 pp and $500 for the table 10. For more information you can contact

Aslam Baig
    ambaig@yahoo.com
    (516) 647-4482

3. Kay says:
    January 23rd, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi again. Just a quick correction to my previous post. My email address for contact that I mention there is not ….[at] live [dot] co.uk. It is actually Kay2K [at] live [dot] com.

On a second thought though, it would perhaps be best if those want to respond to my post do so here so that others could see it too. But correcting my email address anyway…

4. Kay says:
    January 23rd, 2011 6:16 pm

Dear AH, Ghalia sahiba, Owais Mughal sahib et al, AOA.

I can see that the last comment was posted here 2 months ago. Just wondering if any of you were able to get in touch with Alamgir and get latest update on his health and any support he still might need. If anybody has such information, could you kindly post it here or contact me by email on Kay2K [at] live [dot] co [dot] uk. Actually, I had raised some funds from my mates, which I wanted to send to Alamgir.

Now one of my mates has been in contact with Alamgir through this website: http://www.alamgirfanclub.com/. However, since last couple of days he’s been a bit sceptical about the means of contacts there so he wanted for us to do a quick verification. Could any of you confirm that the money sent through that website will actually reach Alamgir?

Looking forward to getting the latest info.

-Kay

5. (PATTY) IJAZ HAIDER ASKARI says:
    November 26th, 2010 12:18 am

ALAMGIR, THIS IS PATTY I PLAYED TABLA WITH YOU AND MAHNAZ IN A CONCERT AT PICKFAIR THEATRE IN LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA IN 1980′S , I AM A MUSICIAN FROM PAKISTAN WHO PLAYED WITH AN AMERICAN BAND CALLED BAD RELIGION AS A DRUMMER ANYWAYS I WOULD LIKE TO DONATE MY KIDENEY TO YOU, LET ME KNOW WHAT I NEED TO DO? PATTY

6. saddan says:
    July 28th, 2010 6:05 pm

your are also remain in our heart as the pakistani people loving you,your song makes me cry makes me feel the breath of love-love you(a bangladeshi guy from your earliar age’s BAF SHAHEEN COLLEGE DHAKA)

7. May 30th, 2009 3:43 pm

Ghalia Shaukat,D/o Late Maulana Abdul Rahman Tahir Surti.

Alamgir sahab, I am praying from the depth of my heart for your quick recovery….may God Almighty give you long and healthy life….Ameen. My brothers Najib,Anas,Ghazi and Nasir along with my sister Aliah are also praying for your quick recovery.I still remember all your beautiful songs and my kidz Gibran and Usman love you too…I have told them much about yrself, and your devotion to Pakistan…I still keep your cd inwhich I have all your Ptv, early 70-mid 80′s popular songs.You still and will ever live in our hearts.You are like an asset to us and for Pakistan.My best regds.to your wife Shela,and son Aurangzeb,(AZEE)…..I live in Murree and my cell no is:03219538628.Ptcl res:0513413078…I was in USA in 2007 -8 and saw you in youtube…tel your secretary to call me and then I will give you my brother Nasir’s ph.numbers of chicago …and will tell him to help you financialy as much as they can also will call Najib bhai….in UAE….would luv to hear fm you….and you also know that you were my ideal personality and I learned all your songs by heart in my youth…I hope you had not forgotton me…you will always alive in our heart….cause you are king of Pop in Pak.A legend….We all Salute to your courage and stemina to fight with your ailment.May God give you long and healthy life….Take care and bye….Ghalia.

8. May 5th, 2009 4:49 pm

Inshallah he’ll be alright soon. May Allah give him a better health to spend healthy life.

Comment Pages: [4] 3 2 1 » Show All