Jinnah-The Movie: Watch it here

Posted on June 20, 2006
Filed Under >Adil Najam, History, People, TV, Movies & Theatre

The greatly trumpeted, fairly controversial, and mostly disappointing movie Jinnah was released in 1998 to even lesser acclaim than it deserved.

Despite all its flaws–especially its overly convoluted and philosophical plot which contributed much to its failure to excite ordinary non-Pakistani film-goers–it was thought-provoking rendition for Pakistanis: for those who liked the movie, and even more for those who did not.

It is sad that it ended up being seen by very few Pakistanis. The movie’s distribution was extremely sloppy, mostly due to the bickering between the principals of ‘The Quaid Project’. It played in Pakistan (in Urdu and in English) but very briefly and in very few theaters, and was never picked up for serious distribution abroad. Many who wanted to see the movie could not, simply because there was no place to see it at.

That has–belatedly–changed. Someone (it says Jamil Dehlavi) has recently placed the entire movie on video.google where it can be viewed if you have a reasonably fast Internet connection.

You can view it here by clicking on the image below, or go to video.google. The movie is just under 2 hours long, and in two parts.

For Part 2, click for rest of this entry.

32 Comments on “Jinnah-The Movie: Watch it here”

1. haider says:
    August 29th, 2006 4:07 am

great find.. thanks for posting it here

2. Umera says:
    September 9th, 2006 10:33 pm

Thanks for the link. Personally, I really like the movie especially the fact that it emphasised on Jinnah as a person rather than mainly focusing on his political life.

3. Talha says:
    November 15th, 2006 3:40 pm

4. November 16th, 2006 5:06 am

The pTv drama JINNAH SE QUAID was infinite time better and clsoed to reality than the mentioned movie.

p.s: an intresting YT video about Jinnah’s radio address

5. Umar Shah says:
    December 21st, 2006 3:21 am

I watched this movie at the Mill Valley film festival (CA) back when it was released. I remember Jamil Dehlavi was there to open it and take questions from the audience afterwards. I also remember local journalists asking questions about the Quaid and a Pakistani gentleman arguing with Jamil Dehlavi that he had watched a censored version of the movie in Governor House, Sind at which Mr Dehlavi said, “I made the movie and I assure you there are no two versions of this movie”. At this one would expect the discussion to stop but the gentleman kept insisting. The other interesting thing I remember is that the Pakistani audience showed utter disregard for the rest of the audience by being noisy, late, standing up and blocking others view and showing up dressed like it was eid. I have nothing against that, it could be taken as a sign of respect for our beloved Quaid but the problem is I was sitting in an aisle seat and everytime a lady with gota laden ( I know ladies will tell me no one wears gota today :) ) heavy duty dupatta on would pass by (and there were many of those), it would scratch my face because these fancy dupattas are not meant to be left flowing in narrow aisles of a rickety theater. Bottom line is, it was a disgrace in front of foreign press some of whom turned around and told people to keep it low at times. We Pakistanis are definitely not image conscious.

On to the movie…it was nothing like Gandhi, actually quite comical. Its a shame that even after 60 years (less when the movie was released) of singing songs and claiming to be more patriotic than any other race on the planet we couldnt come up with a decent movie about the man who gave us an identity and a chance to be a nation. That also explains the botched up distribution of this movie.

I feel the movie can still be edited to remove all the comical scenes with Shashi Kapoor and the trial in the end, made better and re-released. From a Pakistani perspective the Quaids name evokes emotion which alone can make this movie a blockbuster in the Pakistani market if redux’d.

6. Greywolf says:
    December 21st, 2006 4:30 am

The movie Gandhi was made in 1982 with a budget of 30 million dollars (1/3rd GOI funded) and the complete support of the Indian government which saw to it that the script had no objectivity and no controversial issues of Gandhi’s life were discussed. Infact, it had large tracts of fiction that never really happened.

The movie Jinnah was made in 1997 with a budget of little of 4 million Dollars and was faced with immediate bans and hinderances from the ideologically charged Pakistani government (their problem was that Jinnah in the movie as a tolerant and progressive man did not fit the state sponsored version)…

Furthermore despite poor cinematic quality, not only is Jinnah the movie more accurate, does not demonise Jinnah’s opponents like gandhi the movie did, but in the movie things do go wrong for the man…and the movie leaves a lot of room for dissent.

However… the movie left a lot to be desired and I think the definitive movie on Jinnah’s life is yet to be made.

7. madiha says:
    January 11th, 2007 11:23 pm

oh my God……..

great job!!!!!

it is awesome!!!!!

it made me cry again though i watched a lil scene.

8. RAI.T.U.KHAN says:
    January 19th, 2007 6:55 pm

we must be thankful to QUAID-E-AZAM that today we have pakistan,our independence and honor.many nations in the world still fighting for it.he was the great leader in the history of pakistan and india.he is the legend for all the time even in his lifetime.now our leaders must fullfill there promises what they made with the nation of pakistan.once BABA-E-QAUM said’if u ever make a promise,think a hunderd times,but once you make a promise,honor your promise.the government of pakistan should make a movie about QUAID and give the better prospective.i salaam to QUAID-E-AZAM,and may ALLAH bless him in heaven.

9. Bushra says:
    February 23rd, 2007 9:34 am

Thanks for putting this here.

It is interesting for us Pkaistanis but really as a film not that good.

I wish someone will make a better movie on him soon.

10. adnan says:
    March 8th, 2007 12:40 pm

very good.

11. Jim Khan says:
    May 6th, 2007 12:07 pm

I heard so much about the film and finally this evening – May 07, 2007 – after about a decade watched it.

All I can say is that when will Pakistanis wake up and think they’ve to do something for their country. Our country may not be seen in positive light, may be poverty-ladden, with mass illiteracy, no proper education and healthcare facilities, no efficient and legitimate leaders; yet it’s our country and we’ve to work to make it “one of the greatest nations of the world” (as Quaid said). Inshallah!

12. A. Aziz says:
    August 1st, 2007 7:13 pm

The movie was smashing….obviously the comical end with shashi wandering around with Mr. Lee who made my tears flow in few scenes….Still we need a lot to know about Quaid as a person but the opening phrase from Stanley Wolpert says it all. …. I pray that we get to see a film parallel or better than ‘Gandhi’ as CGI is here and all we need is initiative.

13. Hussain says:
    February 7th, 2008 7:21 am

Thanks for showing i love pakistan

14. Nish says:
    February 9th, 2008 8:23 pm

I am an Indian and I must say I did enjoy watching the movie, it’s well made. I like to see things from both sides and this movie did give an additional view. I know that Jinnah was progressive and wanted Pakistan to be a tolerant nation- even Advani agreed to that. Hindus and muslims have completely different way of living and different beliefs. But, I still don’t think that partition was the best idea. We still have muslims in India- president Abdul Kalam, Shahrukh, Amir, ….to even my car mechanic rahis with whom I always enjoy having a chat about cars and general stuff. Muslims enjoy all the festivals here from eid to moharram, without any violence. So, I don’t agree with Jinnah’s thought that muslims needed a separate country.
    If people say Babri masjid demolition says that muslims aren’t safe in India, I should point out that it was the plan of some selfish politicians who don’t want even Valentine’s day to eb celebrated and I must say that we all hate them.
    We just want Pakistan to be a successful country and prosper. I really don’t enjoy Pakisanis to be always India centric, be it economy or defense or anything. Rise above it! Look beyond India!

15. Ahmed Bukhari says:
    February 28th, 2008 3:25 pm

Jinnah is the best movie I have ever seen. I love Jannab Jinnah sahib and I deeply admire the great task which he undertook for the creation of our great land, Pakistan.

A proud Pakistani who loves his country.

Ahmed Bukhari

16. Biren Shah says:
    May 9th, 2008 7:35 pm

I am a history lover and an india, i watched the movie. Is good to know story from both the sides. I am a software developer and i want to stupidly compare to a Steve JObs (CEO apple computers) for Bill gates (Microsoft). He said, (amid the bitter history of rivalry) the era in which for Apple inc to win, Microsoft has to loose has ended for me. I am dying to hear from politicians of both of our country the same. For pakistan to win, india does not have to loose. For india to win pakistan does not have to loose.
    Pakistan,India and Bangladesh are facts now, lets move beyond it. The europe had fought 2 World wars and millions have died in wars. But still today there currency is same (Euro), you can go without visa from one country to another. Why cant it happen for us. its bizzarre that we fought an enemy together (brutal british empire) but now both countries have good relations to britain but not with each other.

17. Zaman says:
    July 3rd, 2008 7:12 am

The movie is v good. The creation of Pakistan was inevitable and the best thing that happened. Had Indian politicians been sincere in dealing fairly with Pakistan, i.e not threatening it, holding funds and equipment it was owed and most of all renegaing on the plebiscite of kashmir, I know by now the atmosphere on the south asian subcontinet would be similar to europe. i.e strenght in diversity.

But Alas! no manipulation or threats can stand upto the will of the people and the people wanted there Pakistan.

Even now, if Kashmir is resolved through plebiscite and trust is built to the point that the armed forces are on India/ Pakistan boarder are replaced with the provebial lone policeman then peace and harmony will prevail and the lot of the poor in both countries will get better.

18. somi says:
    August 3rd, 2008 9:57 pm

I think it was a great movie. Everyone’s acting was up to par. Obviously, a two hour movie, can’t really reiterate history, everything was kind of fastforwarded. But yet, it’s a great movie. We definetly need to make another movie on Jinnah, that can do more justice to his efforts in history. I hope pakistanis wake up and actually start to realize, how a nation was created from a vision and hoow dignified the father of our nation was. It’s good to see decent comments from indians, but no offence, they really can’t understand the reason. I have alot of indian msulim friends, and they would always tell you that there is equality, yet muslim indians are still at the bottom of the ladder and in times of chaos have lived in fear of hindu fanatics. Bottom line is we need to appreciate the country we were given, where we can live as we want, and not jeopardize it’s existence for radical islamism.

19. Wasim Hassan Dogar says:
    March 5th, 2009 3:51 pm

Its a very nice movie indeed. The movie cannot be held responsible if there is nobody to have a historical taste and desire to know about ones own past. Everything that was pictured in the movie has enough potential to awaken the sense in Pakistanis why did they got Pakistan.
    I found my self besides Quid-e-Azam during his struggle for Pakistan while i was watching the movie….
    Muhammad Ali Jinnah was really a man of principles, justice and fair-play!
    May his soul rest in piece….

20. Watan Aziz says:
    March 5th, 2009 10:17 pm

The post is incomplete without hailing Akbar S. Ahmed, a scholar of Jinnah.

Professor Ahmed, is an anthropologist, filmmaker, administrator, diplomat and a Muslim scholar on Islam, International Relations and Politics, and Contemporary Islamic philosophy from Pakistan. According to the BBC, he is

21. Feisal Khan says:
    March 11th, 2009 10:15 am

I saw the movie about a decade ago when it first came out and I thought it was a pretty good film–certainly not a blockbuster like Gandhi but a good film FOR A SOUTH ASIAN AUDIENCE. That is, for people who had substantial background knowledge already and could make sense of it.

For a non-South Asian audience, it was a horrible waste of time: didn’t make much sense and nothing was put into context. The shame of it was that with some voiceovers, it could have been made a much better film for a non-ethnic audience.

22. A. Sharma says:
    March 19th, 2009 1:25 pm

Comments on Jinnah movie: The acting was good. The movie shows a fast-forward to Jinnah watching destruction of the Babri structure- a disputed site and has not been used since 1935 (by Muslims) to justify that he was right in demanding a separate homeland. Would it not be more appropriate to have him also watch the on-going periodic destruction and bombing of numerour Shia-Muslim mosques and killings of Shia in Pakistan? And that most Sunnis in Pakistan now consider Shias heretics? That would really hurt Jinnah since he was a Shia Ismaili (Khoja). No religious place should be bombed or destroyed anywhere. In India, the Shias do no have this problem and there have been 3 Muslim Presidents of India since 1947.

23. Richard says:
    March 23rd, 2009 12:04 pm

A very good film, Lee and all the other actors were excellent. For the writer that said it was a horrible waste of time for a non-South Asian audience, nothing could be further from the truth. The computer scene at the gates of Jannah was a little far fetched. The Quaid-e-Azam’s dream of what Pakistan could be is still not fully realized as many still believe that courts, lawyers and even women have no place in Pakistan’s government. Like the man in one scene they are fearful that educating women will eventually destroy their privileges and power. The wives of the Rasul (SAW) had public lives!

24. M.Bilal says:
    May 16th, 2009 7:43 am

25. Dans says:
    May 27th, 2009 8:11 am

was very beautiful and meaningful, and construction would take great pleasure watching amazing wonderful thank you after watching that I felt very different

26. maha says:
    August 1st, 2009 8:56 am

the movie was so good and meaning full. i m a pakistani and i m proud to being a pakistani.i love quide azam and pakistan.

27. Aftab Ikram says:
    September 9th, 2009 5:37 pm

I know this movie did’t do well in Pakistan may be because the meaningful film will not be accepted by our audience,i read the interview of chirstofer lee(Jinnah in film)said the role was tough and challangefull for me the story was beautiful and strong.(this movie got silver award for non hollywood movie in oscar).
    For our viewers in pakistan i think Director mis some rain dances and dubble meaning song in the movie.Next time i advice the Producer when they make movie like this please put some valgar song in that movie.(SAD)….
    We have good producers and Directors to me we don’t have good viewers for this type of movies……

28. Ijaz says:
    November 25th, 2009 2:04 am

very best

29. yumna says:
    January 16th, 2010 8:31 am

im yumna,im pakistani i love quide-e-azam i really proud it

30. Kaneesh says:
    January 28th, 2010 1:34 am

It is so sad that pakistani people never accept any good thing in their lives. Its so shame to those who made every effort to turn this movie down both nationally and abroad. No wonder the conspiracy worked in this case.
    People who didnt see this then they must. This will open your eyes and show you much truth never found in text books.

31. m.arsalan adam says:
    May 31st, 2010 6:51 am

i love PAKISTAN and i love QUAID-E-AZAM

32. shamed says:
    December 26th, 2011 12:47 am

What is in fact a shame is not watching this movie or appreciating it has been considered shameful. All the people i know loved this movie. I cant think of who didnt want to watch it when it came out. Non the less it is just a movie it really doesnt matter if it didnt get acclaimed right away atleast it is now. And no Pakistanis dont just run for rain dances and slutty movies, Khuda Kay liay was a great hit. Shameful is also that the creative minds have given up on the pakistani nation instead of trying harder and harder to sell their creativeness. What is shameful is that Bollywood is bashed yet advertised like crazy i mean bollywood movies releases are included in our news and sheela’s jawani’s craze [i havnt even seen the movie but i know about it]. I mean in our news? Even in our cooking shows, how is that even relevant? but we find a way. Yes art should be appreciated no matter what its background is but who is going to appreciate our own art when we dont have the pride to make it look good. I have no idea what this post is going to do on a random blog but here it is none-the-less.