Pakistanis Die. Pakistanis Cry. Again.

Posted on August 21, 2008
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Law & Justice, Society

Pakistan is in tears today. Yet again.

70+ people are dead in Wah today, as yet another cursed suicide bomber targets Pakistan and Pakistanis. The Tehrik-i-Taliban has taken responsibility for them. Only two days ago, 32 people were killed in a suicide attack on a hospital in the northern town of Dera Ismail Khan. Meanwhile incursions and attacks into Pakistani territory by American forces continue and fighting between militants and Pakistani forces rages in Bajur and other areas, killing even more.

In what continues to be war on and in Pakistan, Pakistanis continue to die. Pakistan continues to cry.

Some will call it the largest legacy of the Musharraf years. Some will read unstated messages within this murder and mayhem by these killers. Others will see it as the price in dead bodies that Pakistan pays in the War on Terror. Yet others will remind us that this is reaping what Gen. Zia-ul-haq sowed. There will be, I am sure, plenty more pontifications too – ranging from the absurd to the absurdly profound.

All I know is that today, yet again, Pakistanis die. Pakistan continues to cry.

Why must this murder and mayhem continue? I ask. When will it end? These, of course, are absurd questions themselves. Because we all know the answers. It will continue for as long as we let the killers kill and support their murders with our silence. Silence, of course, also kills. And some are condemned to cry silently.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

120 responses to “Pakistanis Die. Pakistanis Cry. Again.”

1. Rizwan says:

Time to put differences behind and focus on real issues , I even think Judge issue should be put behind for the same reason. Let Zardari be the first to be on top and the first to be down. MQM is not dumb.

2. Aamer Javed says:

I am not even sorry to say, but I don’t think Pakistan, economy, politics, government etc will grow or improve at sustainable levels. Time and Time again, various events have occurred which has led me to conclude that.

Granted I was not present in the first 30 decades of this creation and I wont be present after another few decades to see if I was right or wrong, but I am not sure if Pakistan will be Pakistan by then either.

3. QASMI says:

Beautifully written.

This is challenge number one and issue number one for Pakistan. Everything else is secondary. I do not care what Zardari or Nawaz do personally but they must focus on this war against Pakistan now and stop it. Musharraf has sown these seeds of hatred and it will not be easy to undo what he has done, but an elected government certainly has a better chance to create a united Pakistan against these Taliban murderers.

4. Aamer Javed says:

Actually, to follow up with my earlier comment.

I always have a glimmer of hope, virtually every week. But these sort of events, the deteriorating conditions in the country, the carelessness (as in politicians not giving a $hit about the citizens) etc., leads me to change my stance.

5. Qasim says:

How can the Pakistanis condemn this?

They have their own lives to worry about. If this sounds selfish, and it probably is, that’s too bad – but this is also the reality. When the internal structure of Pakistan is repaired and strengthened into a functioning society – only then can some semblance of normalcy be even achieved. Right now, the Pakistanis lead a chaotic life. At the highest levels, the judiciary has been sacked, preventing all the citizens of Pakistan from obtaining any kind of justice, should a case even develop from the cobwebbed registers of the corrupt policemen. And at the lowest levels, we have these suicide bombings, which will continue as long as Pakistan is weak in its governance.

6. Salman says:

Adil, Very touch words. Is it easy to pinpoint who is at fault here? I just find it odd that these problems have increased right after Musharraf resigning. Call me a fool but I do not accept the simple answer to who is at fault.

I was reading an article today of the problems in Georgia and how initially the Russians were being accused of starting the war. Now articles are being published to say otherwise:

Though the article maybe a bit biased, it makes one wonder of the reality. Could the situation be any different of what we are seeing in Pakistan?

No, I am not in denial that Muslims can kill each other but all I am asking us is to reflect.

7. Allah Wasaya says:

I for one am hugely disappointed at our so called military might for which we have been singing praises all our lives. If these are the results from an institution that eats up a lion’s share of a country’s finances, then of course the rest of the country has a very valid excuse of under performing. This attack on POF is a huge slap rather spit in the face of our armed forces, and I sure hope that it serves as a wake up call for our Generals in GHQ and declare it an all out war, and use the real soldiers (if at all there are any) in lieu of those shalwar kameez clad jawans armed with an AK.

Bohat shor suntay thay pehlu main dil ka..

sorry I am extremly disgusted.

8. Anwar says:

There is a Taliban group headed by Mashud and supported by US and India that is clearly involved in anti-Pakistan activities. Pakistani government had complained to the Americans about this group but the support continues.. The goal of recent bombing is to force Pakistan army to launch a full scale war against all Talibans. Before getting sucked in this whirlpool, a very thorough analysis of the situation is needed followed by political support and maturity.
    State also needs to show its resolve.