Kaanch: A Tele-Movie from Pakistan

Posted on June 17, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Pakistanis Abroad, Society, TV, Movies & Theatre

ATP has always been fascinated by Pakistani cinema. Both old (here, here, here, etc.) and new (here, here, here, etc.).

So hearing about the new telefilm called ‘Kaanch‘ was of interest.

The PR blurb about the movie says:

KaaNCH is a story of a Pakistani who came to London for his studies. The fast paced life of UK engulfs Sami (Adeel Suhrwardy) and he becomes a distant memory for his family in Pakistan. Certain events take Sami back to his homeland, where he finds his brother, Rakay (Khurram Suhrwardy) in the midst of an assassination attempt. KaaNCH is about ‘rediscovering yourself’.

It is being released by Geo TV today (June 17, 9PM Pakistan Time) and available online here. It is directed by Khurram Suhrwardy and written by Adeel Suhrwardy. The two brothers are also the lead actors in the film.

I should confess that I have not seen the movie, but the trailer (below) makes me want to see it, although thrillers are not really my genre (I am much more of a Waheed Murad kind of guy!).

Karachi Metroblog has carried two stories on the movie (here and here), but they were also more by way of announcing what was coming (like this story). Like them, I wil also await reviews from those who actually get to see it.

28 Comments on “Kaanch: A Tele-Movie from Pakistan”

1. June 17th, 2007 4:23 pm

well if nothing else, atleast the technical aspects of this ‘filaaam’ appear promising :)

18 $ for the whole movie, lets see how that goes.

2. Fawad Alam says:
    June 17th, 2007 4:38 pm

Looks very promising. and its not $18, its actually $3.99

nice to see something different

3. Ruby says:
    June 17th, 2007 5:38 pm

Seems like an interesting movie. Maybe I’ll watch it online, since I don’t have GEO =) Thanks for the update.

4. MB says:
    June 17th, 2007 11:11 pm

I could manage to saw the last portion on GEO yesterday but honestly i wasn’t impressed on that. But it was few action (kind of ) scenes and i know we are not good at it so i should hold my horses before i watch it all.

Appreciation for a good attempt though.

5. Sharuk says:
    June 17th, 2007 11:32 pm

I don’t mind paying 4 bucks for Pakistani movie even tele-movie but who in right mind in Pakistan will pay Rs.250 for movie which is already played on local tv channel – or – maybe its just for people who live outside Pakistan?
    I think this movie will be unofficially release by people who work in rainbow center karachi or somebody will make a torrent of this pretty soon… sad but true!

6. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar says:
    June 17th, 2007 11:36 pm

I’ve seen earlier efforts by the Suharwardy brothers and I wasn’t impressed. I don’t mean to be a dick but there wasn’t much that redeemed the movie. When you don’t have a big budget, you’ve got to innovate and come up with a great storyline. Their problem is that they keep doing average, unoriginal and redundant storylines which need massive budgets for them to be interesting and they don’t have the big budgets. Hence, everything comes out looking bad.

Regardless of this, the reason why I’m posting now is that the one Pakistani movie that I (and many others) have been waiting forever seems to be finally coming out. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the long awaited and highly anticipated Khuda Ke Liye (Shoaib Mansoor’s film) is FINALLY coming out. The link is here: http://www.inthenameofgod.com/

ATP should forget about Kaanch and do a feature on KKL. Shoaib sahib has created some absolute masterpieces over the years – Ankahi, Alpha Bravo Charlie, the Anarkali video. I don’t count Sunehray Din and Gulls and Guys as masterpieces but they were fine programs as well. Hopefully, KKL will add to Shoaib sahib’s highly impressive trackrecord. If there is anyone who is capable of authoring a turnaround in the fortunes of Pakistani films, it is Shoaib sahib.

On our part, we Pakistanis who’re always complaining about lack of quality movies need to support this effort. The movie, at the end of the day, is a product. As consumers, if we like the product, we need to ensure the financial viability of the producers. So, I believe that it is imperative that we support this effort. If we won’t, then, it is safe to say that we won’t be seeing any decent effort from a proper filmmaker for a long time to come.

The soundtrack list is highly impressive and features some big names. I’ve heard Bandaya from Khawar and Faiza in the past and it was an outstanding song. The soundtrack also features the great Rohail Hyatt – enough said!

The cast includes some outstanding veterans of Pakistani TV in Naeem Tahir, Hameed Sheikh, Seemi Raheel and Ayub Khoso. Anyone who is familiar with Pakistani dramas should immediately recognize these names and know that they stand for quality work.

Lastly, the movie features the amazingly gorgeous and unbelievably beautifully Iman Ali. IMO, that should be reason enough for all Pakistanis (at least the guys) to watch this movie.

7. Fahad says:
    June 18th, 2007 12:01 am

I was looking forward to Kaanch for a long time and enjoyed it immensely, great acting, direction and great moral, away from the usual crap on tv nowdays. It was something fresh.
    Next is Mehreen Jabbar’s feature and Shoaib Mansoor’s film on my list.

8. Shahid says:
    June 18th, 2007 2:35 am

OH GOSH!!! – I did sit through the movie and watched it on GEO last night – simply said it was horrendous. Through out I kept wondering ‘I hope it gets better’ … and it never even came close to being decent.

Honest advise to anyone contemplating to spend 3.99 for the movie, DON’T the $4 (or Rs 300) would be better spent on lunch or dinner for yourself as a treat or even better served if handed over to a poor person on the street.

Suhrwardy brothers – I think they need far more time to improve, and if we take this movie as an example its nowhere in the near future.

9. June 18th, 2007 2:49 am

awwww missed it!……any chance of a replay….anyone who has seen it plz post a review!
    there has been a recent effort by people to start an alternative film culture in pakitan….i heard of ‘botal gali’ from the makers of the drama ‘daira’…then there was a horror flick by the name ‘dozakhpur’ or sth ……good to see SHO-MAN in action!

10. HP says:
    June 18th, 2007 2:56 am

I hate to discourage some young kids. But they do need lots of improvements in every area. Dubbing for instance would be one thing. In movies like this just visuals are not enough, people need to follow dialogs too. Dubbing was awful.

Second, there is no point in imitating scene after scene from the Hollywood movies.

11. June 18th, 2007 3:36 am

I don’t want to criticize but to be honest just look at the our taste of movies its been destroyed by large Indian but low IQ productions full of glamour and unrealistic stories. Our Film industry is also influenced by Indian cinema.

For a change I saw “Kara Film Festival” movies I saw “Daira” from Shahzad Nawaz I saw “Dor” an Indian brilliant production and waiting for “Botal Gali”.

Will definitely watch this movie. Such movies will make our film industry come back with ful swing as it used to be and we will get to see some good work such as this.

By the way where can I find Daira and some other Pakistani work online to pay for and download hi quality video. (in office of course) ;)

12. Shamita says:
    June 18th, 2007 10:44 am

I missed the beginning. Great work

13. June 18th, 2007 1:53 pm

this is such a silly review list ive seen anywhere.
    there r those who r asking these brothers to put more effort while praising shoaib mansoor. since when shoaib became a great director. there is no smooth transitions in his so-called best hits, one moment its all hulla gulla, next he takes u to the extreme sad and sorrow states as found on old indian movies, esp. of the 80,s. then again the next moment, there is laughter going on. scenes are technically not morphed well and music too.

i however, admire his camera work but come on, why do we make everyone an allrounder every now and then.

14. June 18th, 2007 1:56 pm

thanks for the khuda kay liye website, but khuda key liye her page per title song kion loop hora hai woh bhi from the start. khuda kay liye characters ko fake beards to sahi say pahnao, khuda kay liye , itni expections mut high kia karo kay first impression main hi haalath kharab.
    khuda kay liye yeh, nahi, insaanon kay liye yeh movie hai. khuda kay liye issko dekho.

15. June 18th, 2007 1:58 pm

who says indian movies r crap, watch parineeta, lagaan swades, raincoat, water, black…. the list goes on…

16. ayesha sajid says:
    June 18th, 2007 3:08 pm

Indian movies are not crap … unfortunately ANGOOR KHATTAY HAIN !!

17. June 18th, 2007 11:46 pm

not all are crap offcourse, some are good but most of them are crap, the crap list is gigantic compared to the good list

18. Eidee Man says:
    June 19th, 2007 12:43 am

Ayesha, Indian movies aren’t crap; some people DO like to see: ‘heroes’ who can summon superman-like powers when faced with heavily armed thugs, women wearing not more than two sheets of 8.5 X 11 inch who constantly, and irrelevantly break out into the cacophonous audio they call bollywood songs, a complete lack of originality in plot selection, utter absurdities to, perhaps, get an escape from reality.

Before you call me names, Pakistani movies are worse; they try to copy these pathetic movies!

So Ahmad Mushtaq, Ayesha is right, it’s in the eye of the beholder. After all, if some people want to use crack cocaine, who are we to judge?

19. ayesha sajid says:
    June 19th, 2007 5:02 am

actually what i should have written was not ALL Indian movies are crap. Most of them must be , are infact, but there are loads that are a pleasure to watch, thought provoking and aesthetically the tops !!

20. ayesha sajid says:
    June 19th, 2007 5:17 am

Also here let me remind myself and all of you that there was a time when Pakistani dramas were the rage at home and across the border.
    What happened ??
    we gave up our artistic freedom, took up issues that were frivilous and far from reality and to top it all aped blindly the across the border themes of family fueds. Instead of realistic potrayels of charachters, we put in sari clad, two inch thick make up wearing divas and vamps, flashy houses, big cars and expected that would be the success of the drama. And all this at the expense of a strong story line and stronger dialogs.
    At one time the streets would empty at 8 o’clock because it was drama time , now , no one is bothered because there are a zillion chanells which are running the same kind of plays with the same faces and similar themes.

Actually i miss the time when there was just one chanell … good old PTV… when four o’clock was a ten minute cartoon time for the children, seven o’clock was the english news ( or was it six ) and come eight o’clock and the whole house hold would sit for the drama time. At nine all of us would be sent for food and then bed and the elders would listen to the ever famous khabarnama. We could only wonder what came at ten o’clock and onwards ( heavily censored i am sure) because we were hushed to our rooms and put to sleep by then.
    aaah nostalgia !!

21. FARWA says:
    June 19th, 2007 2:29 pm

oh uy tele filmm was greatttt one waitin 4 nextt

22. FARWA says:
    June 19th, 2007 2:35 pm

when the next film comingg????????? waiting 4 it

23. ShahidS says:
    June 20th, 2007 12:39 am

Atif Abdul rehman. I almost died laughing after reading your remarks in Urdu Why so much violence and guns? totally unnecessary. I like ur sense of humor. Anyway I blame “Sultan rahi” and Anjuman for the fall of our Industry and the directors and producers who picked and directed them and the stories, Who would forget the famous “yeh sdhadi nahi ho sagdi”.Anyway the other day I was watching the vcd braught from Pakistan of Baharo phool barsao” Of waheed Murad. I really enjoyed it. I miss waheed mured he was very creative .Its a shame he died.

24. Hafeez says:
    July 2nd, 2007 8:06 am

what a movie …

25. December 23rd, 2007 9:49 am

hmm
    seems like a good movie.
    I am thinking to watch it on sb online store.

26. December 24th, 2007 1:36 am

I just watched the movie. It was ok. There were few things that I didn’t get. Sami came from England after 6 years but the emotions were not right for that moment. Yes he didn’t come when he was supposed to but it didn’t look good. Also why didn’t he go to the forest right away to save his brother, I believe he knew that his brother was in the forest. Even if he didn’t know but that was the only reason he came back to Pakistan, than why didn’t he ask his mom about the brother.
    Also, one more very important thing, there family talks were kind of wired. Yes they might be modernized but they way they were saying hi and hello, it’s not that common in Pakistan. OK, you want to show those 1% who do use hi and hello but why do you want to promote the culture of others, why not your own culture.

27. December 24th, 2007 2:06 pm

Few more things, they way Rakkay was hunting was funny. He would just stay the whole night in the forest and he wouldn’t bring any kind of shelter or shaamyana with him or even a travel pad.

28. abroad says:
    March 13th, 2008 3:48 am

I think its great website. I really enjoy reading about peoples thoughts and the best thing about this site is that people with different views meet each other with respect.