Armaan: Pakistan’s Super Hit Movie

Posted on September 7, 2008
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Music, TV, Movies & Theatre

Owais Mughal
This post has videos of three very famous songs from ‘armaan’

gham-e-rozgaar (work) took me to Canada last week. On a dark and rainy night, I found myself driving on Trans Canadian Highway 1 in Vancouver area. Rain was pouring by bucket loads and windshield vipers were working over time. I was bored and scanning FM spectrum for a good song on car radio. There were English, French, Chinese and many more of the same channels. Suddenly at FM frequency 93.1, I heard a voice in Urdu announcing a song from Pakistani movie ‘armaan’. The song was titled ‘jab pyar mein do dil.’ You could imagine my joy over this surprise find. I immediately pressed set on the radio and started singing aloud with (late) Ahmed Rushdi‘s voice. This song never felt so good to me before as it did on that dark night in Canada. lijiye, aap bhi suniyay (lets listen)

Many of our readers may already know that above song is from Pakistan’s movie ‘armaan’.

armaan was released on March 18, 1966. Movie’s Producer and Hero was Waheed Murad. Its Director was Parvaiz Malik and music was given by Sohail Rana. It is said that in 1966-67 every ‘bacha bacha’ on the streets of Pakistan used to sing the most famous song of this movie called ‘akele na jaana’.

The song ‘akele na jaana’ was at first recorded by Sohail Rana for another movie with the same title as ‘akele na jaana’ but that movie got delayed. In the mean time Waheed Murad was making the movie ‘armaan’ and for a similar situation in the movie, the song got used in ‘armaan’ instead of ‘akele na jaana’.

I have even read in a book that just because of this one song, the movie ‘armaan’ completed its platinum jubilee (i.e. 75 consecutive weeks of screening). It was Pakistan’s first Platinum Jubilee movie. It is also said that despite an unusually extreme rainy season the movie continued to go ‘house full’ in Karachi circuit.

The song ‘akele na jaana’ is sung by Ahmed Rushdie and Mala.

akele na jaana

The movie ‘armaan’ was a complete comedy before the interval and a complete tragedy after the interval but director’s grip on the story never slipped. It is said that in the production of armaan‘s songs Waheed Murad gave a new style of acting and that is why people have not forgotten about this movie 42 years down the road now.

ko ko korina

I don’t have to write much about this song. I am sure most of our readers are already familiar with it as well as it has been covered at ATP here.

‘armaan’ was declared the best movie of the year 1966. It got a total of 6 nigaar awards which were as follows:

(i) The Best film for 1966

2. Aina: Pakistan’s Greatest Blockbuster Movie
3. Khuda ke liye
4. Lollywood Billboard Art
5. Movie: Ramchand Pakistani
6. kaanch: A tele movie from Pakistan
7. Ahmed Rushdie, Waheed Murand and Ko Ko Korina
8. Waheed Murad: Pakistan’s First Heart throb Hero?
9. Sohail Rana: Musical Maestro

19 Comments on “Armaan: Pakistan’s Super Hit Movie”

1. Sunil says:
    September 7th, 2008 8:38 pm

akele na jaana:

I thought I was watching Dev Anand and Sadhna

2. MQ says:
    September 7th, 2008 10:21 pm

Owais, this is one of the beautiful old songs. Fareeha Pervez (no kin of the former president) has sung this song beautifully, even better than Salman Rushdie. I wonder if you could find that video and also place it here.

3. Adil Najam says:
    September 7th, 2008 10:43 pm

MQ, I think Fariha Pervez version of the first song that you mention was sung (or also sung) in the wonderful Indus TV tribute to Waheed Murad (I think that and was one of the verybest of the series of tributes that Indus did; the other really good one was the tribute to Faiz). I have a DVD version of that show and do think that Fariha has done a wonderful version of the song. Although, better than Ahmed Rushdie? I am not so sure.

[By the way, in one of the other Indus TV tributes - to Faiz - Fariha Pervez sang a wonderful version of 'mujh sey pehli si mohabbat.'] I still believe that after Nur Jahan, no one should ever try to sing that song again, but I must say that Fareeha Pervez did as good a job of it as I have seen anyone do.]

In the same Waheed Murad tribute, Anwar Maqsood recounts wonderful stories about the making of this film. Armaan, was truly a turning point not just for Waheed Murad but for Pakistani cinema (it also shifted, for a short time, the center of gravity of Pakistani cinema from Lahore to Karachi). The genius behind the innovations in Armaan was really Pervaiz Malik, the director, who I believe had just returned from abroad where he had studied film-making and he applied all he had learnt on to this. Of course, the other innovator in the film was Sohail Rana. Waheed Murad, of course, I am a huge fan of. But I mention Pervaiz Malik and Sohail Rana because they tend not to get the credit they deserve in terms of their contributions to Pakistani cinema.

4. September 7th, 2008 10:53 pm

By the way, akailey na jaana fans, in the movie this song (which really was the theme song of the movie) was sung multiple times in multiple situations. I believe the version which was the real tear-jerker and became the super-hit was the one sung by Mala and picturized on Zeba in crutches (towards the end of the when Zeba comes back from hiding and is off to ‘save’ the now delusional and devastated Waheed Murad). Watch that version here.

My own favorite version is also sung by Mala, but without the music at the back, watch here.

September 7th, 2008 11:12 pm

MQ saheb, a quick search on youtube didn’t come up with Fariha’s version of ‘jab pyar mein do dil..’. But I will keep looking for it.

6. SH Kavi says:
    September 7th, 2008 11:20 pm

@Owais Mughal, Don’t you think platinum Jubilee means 75 consecutive wks of screening in Pakistani rating system?

September 7th, 2008 11:36 pm

SH Kavi. you are right and correction is made.

8. shahrukh says:
    September 7th, 2008 11:38 pm

@SH Kav: >> @Owais
    Platinum Jubilee

9. PMA says:
    September 8th, 2008 8:25 am

Thank you Owais for bringing back the memories. My generation grew up imitating Waheed Murad & Zeba. Forty years later we are still watching them at the Internet!

10. Uzma says:
    September 8th, 2008 4:08 pm

Awesome post.
    I recently watched another of Waheed Murad’s films and here is how I felt about it.

The passion for Waheed Murad’s films was given to us by our parent’s generation and some of us got hooked, watching films on PTV on thursdays & on NTM.

11. Saeed Ahmed says:
    September 8th, 2008 4:28 pm

Awesome post Owais. Armaan’s music is everlasting and here is my question to those who understand music, why is that songs from Armaan and many other old movies are still loved by people. Is it an incorrect notion and only those people who watched those movies in 60′s, 70′s and 80′s are addicted to these songs or all of us regardless of age. Well I only saw Armaan some where in late seventies but still like it, and more than the movie, I like its songs and they are my all time favorite. So is there something lacking in today’s music directors, lyricist and singers keeping them from creating such gems as produces by earlier teams.

12. September 8th, 2008 6:11 pm

I thought we’re not supposed to listen music in ramazam. I guess I really am a grown-up.

13. ShahidnUSA says:
    September 9th, 2008 1:04 am

@Faraz
    You answered your own question.I am glad you grew out of that perception.
    Music is never a bad thing as long as you are not annoying the person sitting next to you with it. I would go as far as saying that if Ramazan is zakat for your body, music is food for your soul.
    Look above and be proud that your country produced such a great talents.
    Desme nikla hoga chand
    and I believe it.
    Good post!

14. Umar Shah says:
    September 9th, 2008 10:38 am

An enjoyable post Owais. You have captured the moments of driving and switching to FM 93.1 very nicely.

September 9th, 2008 12:26 pm

Umar, yes it was pure pleasure and surprise to hear an Urdu song while driving down on a highway in Canada. FM 93.1 in Vancouver area gets one hour slot from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. for Pakistani songs.

16. Amjad Hussain says:
    September 10th, 2008 7:07 am

What beutiful songs. Nevber saw the movie but have grown up listening to all of these songs

17. Shumaila says:
    September 11th, 2008 10:30 pm

Both Waheed and Zeba look absolutely stunning.

They can be compared with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie :)

18. November 22nd, 2009 4:18 am

Don’t forget the writers: Waheed Murad wrote the story as well as producing and acting, Pervez Malik wrote screenplay as well as directing and Masroor Anwar wrote lyrics and dialogue.

19. Umair says:
    June 19th, 2010 5:42 pm

Do not forget this fact that if Ahmed Rushdi had not been available to Sohail Rana, Rana would never able to get that much hit songs in one single movie because Rana’s compositions were not easy to sing and it was nearly impossible for other singers to do justice.It was Ahmed Rushdi who made this possible.