Aina: Pakistan’s Greatest Blockbuster Movie

Posted on May 27, 2007
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Music, TV, Movies & Theatre

Owais Mughal

In its prime days, Pakistan’s Urdu cinema has produced many big hit movies. The biggest blockbuster of the golden era was the movie Aina.

The movie title Aina is pronounced aaina and the English translation of the title is a mirror. This movie was so popular that it was shown in a Karachi Cinema for almost 8 consecutive years (400 consecutive weeks). The story of Aina is a formula love story but what made this movie special was the quality of direction as well as the superhit music of Robin Ghosh. The songs of this movie are still popular. I recently found these songs on Youtube and that is what prompted me to write this post.

Here is the first super-hit song from the movie titled: Wada karo saajna. Singers are Mehnaz and Alamgir.

Perhaps one of the most popular songs of Aina is ‘rooThay ho tum’ by Nayyara Noor.

Following is the data sheet of ‘Aina’:

Release Date: March 18, 1977
Director: Nazr-ul-Islam
Writer: Bashir Niaz
Musician: Robin Ghosh
Song Writer: Tasleem Fazli, Akhtar Yousuf
Cameraman: Afzal Chaudhry
Producer: A.R. Shamsi
Stars: Nadeem, Shabnam, Qavi, Khalid Salim Mota, Zarqa, Bahar, Rehan, Parveen Bobby, Nimmo, Nena and Nasra.

Following song titled ‘mujhay dil se na bhulaana’ is my all time favourite. The sound quality is not upto the mark but I cannot help but share this song with you. This song also won Nigar Award for the best song of the year 1977.

It is said the movie was so popular that it was copied as a Bollywood movie with the name ‘Pyar jhukta nahi’.

Aina is the only Urdu movie which has won a record number of Nigar Awards. That record number is 12. Following is the detail of 12 Nigar Awards which went to Aina team. Nigar Awards are Pakistan’s premier movie awards. Consider them Pakistani Oscar awards:

(1) Best Movie of the Year 1977: aina
(2) Best Director: Nazr-ul-Islam for aina
(3) Best Dialogs: Bashir Niaz for aina
(4) Best Actress: Shabnam in aina
(5) Best Actor: Nadeem in aina
(6) Best Supporting Actor: Rehan in aina
(7) Best Musician: Robin Ghosh for aina
(8) Best Song Writer: Tasleem Fazli (for aina movie song: ‘mujhay dil se na bhulana’)
(9) Best photography: Afzal Chaudhry in aina
(10) Best Singer: Mehdi Hassan (for aina theme song: ‘mujhay dil se na bhulana’)
(11) Best Upcoming Singer: Alamgir (for aina song: ‘bichReN ge na hum kabhi’)
(12) Special Award for Child Star: Shahzeb in aina

Following is the song for which singer Alamgir got the Nigar Award. It is titled ‘bichReN ge na hum kabhi’

Director Nazr-ul-Islam made almost 50 movies in his career but Aina was by far his best production. A lot of hardwork went behind every scene. Outdoor shooting that went around Karachi was also considered a masterpiece for 1977 standards. In 1980s Aina was screened in China and proved very popular there too.

Another mega hit song of ‘aina’ sung by legendary Mehdi Hasan was ‘kabhi meiN sochta hooN’. Here it is:

Following is a photo scene from the movie Aina. Sitting left to right are Mohammad Qavi, Nimmo, Shabnam and Nadeem. The lady standing in the background is actress Bahar.

Following is yet another scene from the movie Aina showing Nadeem and Shabnam. This photo is courtesy of Doctor Kazi at flickr. com

References: Data Sheet and Nigar Award information taken from Pakistan ki 100 shahkar filmeN by Yasin Goreeja

36 Comments on “Aina: Pakistan’s Greatest Blockbuster Movie”

1. Sajid says:
    May 27th, 2007 5:34 am

And the same team Nadeem, Shabnam, Nazr-ul-Islam and Robin Ghosh did movie ‘Bandish’ in 1980. The two most famous songs of the movie ‘Sona na chandi na koi mahal’ and ‘do piyase dil aik hoe hain aisay’. Good old Pakistani film music.

2. May 27th, 2007 6:58 am

Holy heck! Does this bring back memories…some the songs still echo inside my head and not necessarily in a good way. I remember when the movie was released the songs were relentlessly played everywhere I went in the city.

Perhaps, this movie ought to give a clue to the current crop of Pakistani commercial film-makers that it is a viable option to do commercial cinema without the added touch of vulgarity and bad taste.

3. Moeen Bhatti says:
    May 27th, 2007 10:15 am

Owais: These songs have brought back my childhood memories. Thanks for the post!

4. Moeen Bhatti says:
    May 27th, 2007 10:17 am

Does anyone have a link to songs by a Shabnam;s movie during the same era, NAHI ABHI NAHI??

5. May 27th, 2007 10:22 am

These are such beautiful songs. Thank you Owais for bringing them back to life for me. I have been listening to them for hours now and can’t get enough. It’s too bad that I was too young to fully appreciate this music when I could watch these artsists perform live or on PTV in Pakistan.

I remember listening to these songs on Radio Pakistan while riding along Napier Street and Bunder Road in a 1970 model year Hillman car with my uncle! My uncle, the ever so hopeless romantic would sing along and I used to think how cool was he to know all the words by heart! Ofcourse he also had the Nadeem hair-do :)

6. Zia says:
    May 27th, 2007 11:26 am

Thanks Owais.

Nadeem and Shabnam were not the best pair our film screen had but they gave many hit movies in late 70s and then in 80s. Infact these two were the main persons who kept our film screens alive.
    I remember someone in India also made EXACT copy of Aina later. But I think copies don’t work, except ones from Canon Copiers ..”asal sey behtur naqal”:)

I like youtube as you can find old Pakistani songs and film clips there.
    People in Toronto can listen to old pakistani songs on FM 101.3 Thursdays 5-7PM. I do that while driving back:)

7. Neena says:
    May 27th, 2007 7:43 pm

Those were the days when people use to go to cinema to watch movies and drink Benz. My parents always try to catch the first week release.

Zia,

I think it was the other way around. The movie, you’re mentioning is Aa Gale Lag Jaa, right?

8. tina says:
    May 28th, 2007 1:30 pm

Oh my, Chaukandi tombs…I haven’t been there since I was a KID! I was absolutely fascinated by the elaborate graves. I wonder if they are being kept in good shape at the present time.

I am glad we’ve moved on from the fashions and hairdos of the time, but I love the songs…Thanks for the post! :)

9. Nasir Ali says:
    May 28th, 2007 10:56 pm

God knows only how old are you guys…

Never heard or saw the film…perhaps I have to ask my mom… :)

In anycase good job Owais Bhai..

10. Akif Nizam says:
    May 30th, 2007 12:14 pm

I never watched the movie but remember the ad in the Jang newspaper every day (the page next to the Tarzan comic strip). It used to say something like “do sau pacheeswan shaandar hafta!!! ” (225th blockbuster week).

11. SALMAN says:
    June 8th, 2007 6:46 pm

HI!
    I NEED TO VE THE SONG OF MAHNAZ “PIAR KABHI KERNA NA KAM MAR JAEE GEE TEREE ASHEE”.WELL, IM AFRAID I DONT KNOW THE NAME OF MOVIE AND YEAR.

July 22nd, 2007 2:53 am

I have added another photo from a scene in movie ‘aina’ in the post above. This photo is courtesy of Dr. Kazi

13. Maha says:
    August 18th, 2007 12:32 pm

Hard 2 Believe how advanced Pakistani Cinema was back in 1970s. I recently watched Aaina and Bandish and I was in awe.I still cant believe the quality we had in those times… Maybe the present day Pakistani film makers should should pay a visit to past to learn how 2 make a quality stuff without added touch of obscenity and vulgarity

14. arzoo says:
    November 21st, 2007 7:25 pm

Hello,

I am looking for a song from the old movie AINA. The song is: “SONA NA CHANDI NA KOI MAHAL JANE MAN TUJHKO MAIN DAY SAKON GA.” Can’t find it any where. Please help me with it.If you know any web sites I can get it from.
    Thanks.

15. Ronnie Ghosh says:
    December 1st, 2007 2:39 pm

Its nice to see that people still have memories of my parents. and the effort keep it alive in internet.
    Thanking You all
    Ronnie Ghosh
    Spain

16. Lena says:
    December 22nd, 2007 1:08 pm

arzoo you can find the lyrics of this song in the following link: http://music.paki.ws/lyrics/AkhlaqAhmed-SonaNaChandi.php

17. AKASH says:
    February 14th, 2008 5:47 am

Aaj mausam kii kuchh alag baat hai,
    Behke se dil ke khayalaat hai,
    Chahte hai churaale tumse tumhi ko………. ….
    Par Mummy kehti hai chori karna boori baat hai…!!!

18. Kalsoom says:
    June 17th, 2008 8:44 am

I like very much this movie, it is a great movie of pakistan. I like shabnam. I want some colour pictures of shabnam, if you have, please send me.

19. Kalsoom says:
    June 17th, 2008 8:45 am

I want colour pictures of Shabnam, please send me
    Email: kalsoomgi@yahoo.com

20. Zulfiqar says:
    July 15th, 2008 10:03 pm

Dear Shabnam

Thanks for the film Aaina. We would never forget your greatest contributions to Urdu films. We would never forget your ‘ehsanat’ on Pakistan. Thanks once again.

21. November 13th, 2008 7:11 am

Dear, Nadeem & Shabnam,

I really appreciate both of your performance never forget i dont know how much time i watched this movie & hear this song Rothe ho tum ko kese manaon piya.
    kindly send me the following movie song in my add i will be very grateful to u.

Thanks n best regards,

22. February 10th, 2009 6:09 am

Dear Mr Owais and all the people who have posted comments, I just wanted to point out that the the poet who wrote most of the songs for the movie Aina was Suroor Barabankvi, Akhtar Yousuf wrote only one song for thie movie, Kabhi main sochta hoon, wada karo saajna etc. were written by Suroor Barabankvi, how I know cause I am his son

P.S. note for Ronnie Ghosh :

Please get in touch with me via email “asif.saeed07@gmail.com”

February 10th, 2009 12:39 pm

Asif Saheb, thanks for the info on songs written by Suroor Barabankvi. And good to see the son of Suroor here. Welcome!and we hope to have you as our regular visitor.

24. arif says:
    February 18th, 2009 9:53 pm

In my early age I was fond of lollywood and the only director who inspired me was NAZIR UL ISLAM movies like AINA BANDISH SHARAFAT AMBER with the combination of NADEEM SHABNUM ofcourse MUMTAZ in AMBER with the excellent music of ROBIN GOASH it was the movies and some time I wonder THAT NONE OF THE DIRECTOR EVEVN TRY TO COPY THAT NAZIR UL ISLAM the question is why

25. ghulam hussain says:
    November 20th, 2009 10:14 am

i m searching title music of film aina. plz send me information.

26. Jamil says:
    March 29th, 2010 3:44 am

I love this movie, have seen it so many times. Songs are awesome. I love you shabnum aunty.

27. MK says:
    July 20th, 2010 4:02 pm

I would like to purchase a copy of this movie, any suggestions where I could get one from?
    Please respond to me via
    email: kermallim@yahoo.com

July 20th, 2010 11:45 pm

MK
    I’ve also been looking for ‘aina’ on DVD for many years. So far everyone has been telling me that it’s not been released on DVD.

29. MK says:
    July 22nd, 2010 3:02 pm

Owais Mughal :
    I cant believe it, I am sure it is available somewhere, I will try looking into places where you could buy or order indian movies, if you think about it thie is an oldie 70′s movoe if it is not out yet maybe it will never be.

July 22nd, 2010 4:59 pm

bhai MK ye sach hai :) If you are able to find a DVD of aina then please let me know too. I’ll be very interested in getting a copy of my own.

31. November 8th, 2010 9:24 am

I saw Aaina many times in cinema. Really a block buster but could have been made more better if the director gives attention to some important scenes. It is still the most successful movie of pakistan since 1977.

For your information, it completed 100 weeks in 2nd & 3rd run in Lahore in 1980 & 1988 which is also an unbrakable record.

32. MEHMOOD HUSSAIN says:
    May 27th, 2011 12:40 pm

“aina” film is the most viewed movie in late 70s and 80s,
    I was a youngman of 23 years of age unmarried and was
    working in a multinational companys of pakistan, also hold
    Honda 175 motorcycle the same model used by actor Nadeem in aina film, some i felt that I am person who holds this story,
    in those peacful days no target killings, no nogo areas, i saw
    this film at least 20 times in diffrent cinemas of karachi,
    scala cinema, shama cinema, luxry cincema, kiran cinema,
    gulzar cinema, jublee cinema.
    the period was great and mermorable day of my life, i enjoyed
    every this picture was very new for me,
    golden days are gone, i remember,

mehmood hussain,
    karachi-pakistan

33. June 30th, 2011 2:34 am

old is gold and it was the growing day for our cinema but now a days nothing is up and

34. August 4th, 2011 4:57 pm

The star sitting next to Qavi is NIMMO and the lady standing behind is actually filmstar BAHAR.

August 4th, 2011 5:35 pm

Hanif Saheb. Thanks for the info. on actors in the photo. I have made the correction.

36. Prady says:
    October 18th, 2011 1:45 am

This film Aaina is itself copied from a Bollywood movie ” Jab Jab phool Khile” starring Shashi Kapoor..

The movie Pyaar Jukhta Nahin hain was loosely inspired from Jab Jab phool khile while Aaina is a total rip off from the bollywood movie.