Mehdi Hassan: Yeh watan tumhara hai

Posted on August 14, 2006
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Music, People, Urdu

In my August 12 ATP post I had written about this wonderful ad from Mobilink and the even more wonderful song from Mehdi Hasan that it was based on. I had mentioned how, for me, it is my all-time favorite Pakistani milli naghma and I simply cannot hear it with getting goosebumps, and more.

In a comment sabizak mentioned that there was also a video version of this. I did not know that and began looking for it on the web. I just found it. You can view it here. At the center of the page the song should be the only one under ‘video list.’

Your Ad Here

I have been listening to and watching this song repeatedly since I found it some half hour ago. This version does not seem to have the entire song. My favorite line (hum tou mehz unwaaN thay, asl daastaN tum ho…) is missing, for example. However, the other amazing line (yeh watan amaanat hai, aur tum ameen loogo..) is very much there.

I had always loved the old PTV version – with the screen split in half, Khan sahib with his harmonium on the left half of the screen and black and white still pictures flashing on the right. But this video is an amazingly powerful one, for different reasons.

I am not ashamed to say that the first few times I replayed it my eyes swelled up. Not just because of what the song means to me, but mostly because the video has evocatively included Mehdi Hasan into the video… sitting there on a wheel chair, tears glistening in his eyes, the lines on his face not even trying to hide the rush of unrestrained emotions, memories, hopes, fears, and more.

What a wonderful tribute, with what a wonderful song, to what a wonderful artist!

P.S. For those who may not know, and as one sees in this video, Khan sahib suffered a paralytic stroke in 2005 and his health continues to be a grave concern for his many admirers.

50 Comments on “Mehdi Hassan: Yeh watan tumhara hai”

1. August 14th, 2006 2:36 am

I stumbled across the full Mobilink video last night whilst channel hopping. It really is wonderful, even better than the 1980s PTV version, if that is possible. The shots of a frail, yet visibly moved Mehdi Hasan sitting on his wheelchair surrounded by children are particularly poignant.

You were not the only whose eyes swelled up the first few times the song played…

2. falcon says:
    August 14th, 2006 6:22 am

My mother used to sing this one:

Hum layi heiN tufan se yeh kishti nikal ke
    Is mulk to rakhna merey bacho sambhal key

I’ve never actually heard the original version (or any professional version), is it available on the net somewhere?

3. Naveed says:
    August 14th, 2006 6:25 am

corporate sponsorship has come to the rescue in a most apt manner than i can remember…Mehsi Hasan has made recovery from his stroke and i am secretly hoping that the audio is recent…the 80′s audio is much more crisp and the audio in the clip is that belonging to someone much older. i hope i am proven correct on this one…can someone else confirm if they can make out the audio to be a recent recording? for someone training classically, i would not be surprised that the king of ghazal can still manage a tune or two

4. Sohaib says:
    August 14th, 2006 6:54 am

As the PTV live show showed last night, the video has apparently been directed by Shan, our new Sultan Rahi. :) He requested Khan sahib to sing, but he politely declined, saying his health doesn’t allow it. He agreed to, though, appear in the video. And how well that worked out. :)

5. Naveed says:
    August 14th, 2006 9:17 am

Shoaib, I believe Shaan has been signed by Mobilink on a contractual basis. Maybe you will also remember Mobilink’s tribute to Nur Jehan last year. (Ay watan kay sajaylay jawano) This is also why you see him on the billboards across the country. I actually am glad that he diversified beyond films.

The current video is also linked to Shaan. The video I am referring to has a lady decked up in a Sari looking somewhat like Nur Jehan but I have a feeling she is actually related to Shaan because the lady’s looks resemble with Shaan’s mother (Neelo), the heroine from the past (60s & 70s)

This Nur Jehan video is as meticulously produced as the one that we are discussing right now ie., the Mehdi Hasan one

6. August 14th, 2006 10:06 am

Video is awesome and each bit of it actually mesmerize you.I wish someone upload it Youtube or google version.

7. Saad says:
    August 14th, 2006 12:38 pm

Wah, dil ronay lag gaya video daikh ker. Good job mobilink. And wasnt there Qateel Shifai the poet who wrote the gazal in the video as well?

8. August 14th, 2006 2:25 pm

QUESTION
    Folks, in his blog Adnan (http://kadnan.blogspot.com/) also wrote about thsi ad. He mentioned something that I had also noticed but had not been sure of. That the seond gentleman who appears at the of the ad is poet Munir Niazi. Can someone please confirm if it is? If so, his health also looked seriously deteriorated?

9. August 14th, 2006 2:57 pm

Yes he is munir niazi.See one of this old picture(http://www.apnaorg.com/poetry/munir/munir.gif).Did i guess right?

Speaking of him,one of his famous writing, http://www.bizbrowse.com/UrduDiegest/UrduPoetry/MunirNiazi/munir.htm

Do you remember who sang this ghazal?Taranum Khanam?

10. Roshan Malik says:
    August 14th, 2006 3:24 pm

Adil,
    I also think he is Munir Niazi and am surprised to see his health. I want to share his famous punjabi verse:

Kujh onj vee rahwaan aukhian sun
    Kujh naal ghumaan da tauq ve see
    Kujh shehr dey loak ve zalim sun
    Kujh sanoon maran da shauq ve see

Its rough translation:

Somehow the path was tough
    Additionally, I was grieved
    Somehow the peopel of the city were cruel
    Somehow i was fond of death.

PS. Pervez Mehdi, one of Mehdi Hasan’s pupil, shared this information in one mehfil that Daler Mehdi (Indian Singer) and his family are great followers of Mehdi Hasan Sb. Therefore Daler’s last name is derived from Mehdi Hasan Sb as a respect to their Ustad.

11. August 14th, 2006 4:11 pm

Roshan right and afsos that people of this country are so *poor* that MEhdi sahab had to go india for treatment.

12. Umera Ali says:
    August 14th, 2006 5:27 pm

Thank you for highlighting the video. There are no words I can add which would do justice to the emotions it raise.

13. Azhar says:
    August 18th, 2006 2:45 pm

I’m quite sad to see such a great singer/ghazal-go gone so frail and paralyzed. There is no one like Mehdi Hassan and ghazal remains not the same anymore.

14. Saghir Ahmed Rao says:
    August 19th, 2006 8:44 am

i was deeply touched when i saw the video, surely it was a brilliant idea to reproduce, those who have done really deserves our appreciation. Mehdi Hassan’s fragile appearance made me to be sad and enthusiastic at the same time to be determined for our motherland;s sake and to keep its flag high against all odds.

15. anjum says:
    August 22nd, 2006 10:37 pm

Mashallah such a beautiful song, words as well as singing as well as new video. Superb. Certainly i loved its original version as well but the the new video appearance of Mehdi Hassan makes it so beautiful. May Allah give us proper leadership that can eliminate poverty, injustice, ineducation in all provinces of Pakistan. It is already too late so many years have been lost by childish and foolish dishonest rulers.

16. md barkat ali says:
    September 20th, 2006 5:41 am

hello
    lets pray for the great singer of all times mr. mehdi hassan for quick recovery from illness.

aameen

17. MEHWISH says:
    September 28th, 2006 2:30 am

`HELLO
    THIS IS GREAT SINGER IN ALL OVER THE WORLD

18. fariha says:
    October 11th, 2006 8:32 am

[quote comment="2944"]hello

aameen[/quote]

inshallah we will pray for him
    someone said that our country’s people are so poor
    i m agree with himor her i don’t know exactly
    so sorry

19. fariha says:
    October 11th, 2006 8:38 am

yeh sab inssan kay haq main nahi hota kay jaldi theek ho jaye but hamain na sirf mehdi sahib kay liye balkay un sub kay liye pray keni cahiye jo tandrust nahi hain

20. Asif S says:
    October 16th, 2006 10:32 pm

This is a really moving song. I am awestruck. Thank you for putting it here. Do you have a link to it on YouTube or Google?

21. Rehana says:
    October 19th, 2006 4:19 am

It was sad to see Mehdi Hasan in this shape. I pray for his health. But also good to see this inspiring song.

22. Hamid says:
    November 29th, 2006 11:06 am

Adil,

Here is somewhat “original” version — though you still dont see Khan sahib with his harmonium in the split screen. But I found this one to be much better than the mobilink version.

Enjoy!

23. Bilal Akram says:
    December 5th, 2006 11:19 am

Very beautiful song. It really brought tears in my eyes to see Mehndi hassan sitting on his wheel chair. It was one of my favorite songs on PTV. And beautiful poetry i must say and mehndi hassan has done full justice to it.

24. PakWatan says:
    December 27th, 2006 3:29 pm

I was deeply touched by the song like several participants in this forum. We definitely need to wake up a united nation and overcome all the odds against us including Indian culture in our households.

25. Babar says:
    January 8th, 2007 4:45 pm

Adil – Thanks for another touching post. It is through these wonderful “Pakistani things” that we can find the strength to keep going.

26. J Nasir says:
    March 3rd, 2007 4:23 am

Some ting for the petriotic Pakistanis

Including Khan Saheb’s songs

27. Khawaja Habib says:
    March 14th, 2007 11:09 pm

This is a great song… I think of the emotions this song brings up for me and also think of what is happening in Pakistan right now, and I also cry!

28. alibhai says:
    April 4th, 2007 6:25 pm

we made a slide show on youtube to this naghma. please have a look on youtube here:

or at our blog here:

29. Zaidi says:
    April 20th, 2007 5:30 am

when ever i Listen This song, always brought tears in my eyes , Just say KHAN SAHEB zindabad

30. Nawab Afghan says:
    June 9th, 2007 6:51 am

I am a MORID of Ustad khan Sahab. to see his teares was very emotional. i wish that he have sang this one .. and that it is a new version of this song..

i hope that one day i will see him beside his favourite old harmonium singen ” Wo Ke Ar Ehde Mohabat Se Mokar Jate Hey .. Dil Wo zalem Ke Osi Shaks Pe Marta Jayee..”

i bid to Allah to give him health to recover and let us hear his magical voice one more.. !!

Ustad I kiss ur hands and PLz GIve us some more Masterpieces..!!!

Nawab Afghan!!

31. Syed Aasif Ali Shah says:
    July 24th, 2007 9:43 am

ya Old is Gold….!

32. Anisa Maredia says:
    July 27th, 2007 5:10 pm

Amazing video and not to mention it took me to my fifth grade when i sang this song for the first time in school on independence day. I am still looking for the web version just saw it five minutes ago on HUM Tv…..God i miss Pakistan soooooo much ……apni mitti phir apni hai…

33. Abbas Alamdar says:
    August 9th, 2007 8:45 am

Well , whenever I listen to this song, it makes me cry and I have realized that these paki politicians have gang raped us so many times.. They have raped my motherland….All these politicians… The ruling party in Pakistan, Opposition and politicians living in exile… all of them are bloody murderers and decoits….. I seriously pray for a revolution in Pakistan. A country , where we should have the freedom to praactice or beliefs , a country where we are free a country where we can enjoy freedom and I pray that we become one “civilized” nation.

Regards

Alam.D.

34. August 14th, 2007 8:35 pm

Thank you for putting this song up. Listening to it makes me realize how much I miss home and how we have not been worthy ameen’s to our country.

God help Pakistan and help it move in the right direction in these troubled times and may we all be able to help it do so and hence prove worthy.

35. priya says:
    August 20th, 2007 11:22 am

Dear Bhai.thanks for such a beautiful video from my all time favourite Mehdi Hassan Saab.many times tears welled up in my eyes…seeing him in wheelchair.beautiful ,beautiful the song the video and the beautiful country.May God the merciful bless the country and its lovely people……thanks again

36. basit says:
    August 30th, 2007 10:59 am

Wow…wat a marvelous singer hez just da king of da musik world…dese old dayz singer peform a central roll in da war b/w Pakistan nd India…

37. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    October 2nd, 2007 3:14 pm

Mehdi Hassan, Gazal ki Gaiki ka bawa Adam

I discovered him on Radio Pak Karachi by listening his first Naat-shareef, Marhabah Sayed-e-maki-madini al Arabi, I still
    remember each and every verse even the tune, I imitated it, in school competition and won the first prize.

No one is equal to him, he sangs world’s most beautiful Ghazals of Asatizah in the most sublime raagas, no way, I have
    tried to listen to others, but Al Mighty gives one quality to one
    and the only
    one , lets sit down and listen to all all, I give you one pearl out of so many, example:
    Ghalib’s Ghazal, in Raag Nat Bhairon

Dil-e-nadan, tujhey huwa kiya hai
    Akhir is dard ki dawa kiya hai

Allah bless him for ever.

38. yasir says:
    December 11th, 2007 4:35 am

Hi KYa Hall Hai Mujhe Ye Mehdi Hassan Ka Song Chahiye Ye Watan tumhara Hai Thank’s

39. January 9th, 2008 2:27 pm

PAKISTAN what they have been done to my watan-e-aziz, by this songs my all school memories come back and make me emotional again. I think we need to learn from this songs . “kash aik bar pher ham ussi rasstay par challin jo mulk ke tarraki kay liaye ho ” aure iss kay liyya hamine apne app ko phahchanna ho ga.(maray ALLAH maray watan ko apne hifzu imaan mian rakhna,amin)

40. January 9th, 2008 2:42 pm

Assalam-o-alliahkum PAKISTAN greatest song ever in pakistan
    history , mahdi hassun is also a great singer we cannot give return of single word.ALLAH give him long n healthy life .(ameen) this songs is like great mashl-e-raah for us . we also learn from our mistakes ,.for the peoples of pakistan we needs to heads togather to make it better .

41. sundas says:
    April 15th, 2008 8:32 am

salaam!!! I Love Pakistan And I love our Mili Nagma “yeh watan Hamara hai”. I dnt know a strange type of feeling cums out of my heart wheneva I hear it. PLZ I really need this video bcoz I m going to present About our legend MEdhi Hasan’s Lifetime work. Plz if u can tell me the link of website from where u got it. Plz help me out I hv visited many websites but cudnt get it. I’ll b really thnkful to u!!! thnx

42. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    April 15th, 2008 2:06 pm

@Long ago he sang in India, a beautiful ghazal
    of The Great Hafiz jaladhri, went quite un-noticed
    why ? the audiance were officials or non-urdu speaking,

Ham hi mein thi ne koi baat,
    Yaad ne tum ko asekay

Tum nay hamein bhula dia,
    ham ne tomhein bhula sakay

can not make out what Raga was it derived from,
    (confused between Jai jaivanti or Bhopali )??

The dhun was worth ecstase, but only he could sing,
    I had never heard a ghazal sung in such a ma

43. Asif says:
    August 12th, 2008 3:03 am

I couldn’t control my tears comming out…Thank you very much for sharing this song.

44. muhammad asif nisar says:
    August 14th, 2008 7:48 am

SALAM!!!
    really it is nice. today is 14 aug and i m in greece but this song take me in pakistan. when i was listening this song i was feeling that i m also in pakistan and souluting my Flag. PAKISTAN ZINDABAD

45. MOEEZ AMJAD says:
    June 23rd, 2009 6:27 am

ASLAM O ALIKUM I AM MOEEZ THIS IS A GREAT MILI NAGMA YE WATAN THUMARA HAI SING BY MEHDI HASSAN ALLAH GIVES A LONG LIFE MWHDI HASSAN *AMEEN*HE HAS GREAT MAN FOR OUR COUNTRY PAKISTAN

46. MUHAMMAD AHMED says:
    July 26th, 2009 3:44 am

MY BROTHER’S AND MY SISTER’S
    ASSLAMA-E-LEKUM
    AP SAB KO MERE YE DUA HAI K AP JAHA B RAHO KUSH AUR ABAD RAHO ALLAH PAK KA HAM SAB K SATH YE BARA EHSAN HAI K HAM KO IS PYRE WATN MAIN PAIDA KIYA AUR IS WATAN K KHIDMAT KERNE KA MOKA DIYA IS LIYE MERE HAM SATHIYO HAM KO DIN RAT MEHNAT KER KE IS WATAN K NAM ROSHAN KERNE KA AZAM KERNA CHIYE.
    AP SAB K DUA KA TALABGAR
    M.AHMED GILAL
    PIR-JO-GOTH
    TALKA KINGRI DISTRICT KHP
    CELL#03337702185

47. Masood Kazmie says:
    August 21st, 2009 5:22 pm

Salaams to all
    I am a Canadian Citizen and only now have come across this wonderful patriotic information for which I congratulate everyone who has contributed in maintaining this nationalistic spirit alive. Wasalaam Masood Kazmie

48. asif jahangir says:
    March 12th, 2010 8:12 am

aslam_o_alikum pakistan its my request for evry one to prefer pakistan in ur life because we all of are pakistan and pakistan givesus evry thing its our responsbality to love pakistan

49. Rabia says:
    August 14th, 2010 12:24 am

“Ye zameen muqadas hai maan ke payar ki suraat”. It’s such an inspirational song with brilliant lyrics. It’s impossible not to be teary eyed while listening to this song.

50. umer says:
    August 16th, 2011 2:33 am

This is indeed one of the most beautiful songs I have ever come across. There is something about the lyrics that they stir you like nothing else.

When he earnestly urges, “is watan kay parcham koe, sar baland hee rakhna,” it saddens me to think about how often we have failed to live up to this aspiration.

But when he says “waqt ka andhayroan main, apna aap pehchanoe” it lights up a ray hope in my heart that in the glim darkness of these days, there is a still some course out there that we can chart for our people – if we look for it hard enough.

But ultimately, whatever state it is in, and whatever prospects it has, it is your, ours. Ours to build and defend. That’s the key theme of the song – a message that rings as true of every successive generation which inherits Pakistan, as the one it was first written for. Could there ever be a more beautiful way to render it than this!