The Past and the Future of Qawali in Pakistan

Posted on October 2, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Music, People, Religion

This post was originally posted on October 19, 2006. It is being reposted with the addition of some new Qawali video clips.

As I was driving back from work tonight, I had an old Sabri Brothers cassette playing in my car. The window was down, the sound was loud. As I stopped at a red light, my head still nodding to the rhythms, I noticed that the American woman in the car parked next to me was staring at me with a rather perplexed look (Bostonians don’t often get to hear the Sabri bradraan!). She shouted over the music to ask me what type of music this was and from where. I smiled and told her. I am not sure if she heard what I said over the noise because the light turned green just then and we went our different ways.

I guess she left wondering what the beat and sound was about. I left wondering what has happening to qawalli in Pakistan today? Who are the big names out there? Are there any? Is there any Ghulam Farid Sabri, Aziz Mian, Nusrat Fateh Ali equivalent out there? I know of Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, but he seems to be mostly re-rendering Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan’s work. Who else?

I was a qawalli fan while I was still in school; long before there was a Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and long before it was kool to be a qawalli fan. I don’t know why I was a fan; no one else around me was. I guess the beat was enticing, the stories interesting, and the qawals colorful. I suspect that those around me thought it was rather odd that I liked qawalli so much; but then, people around me have always considered me odd!

This was the era when the Sabri Brothers Qawall and Aziz Mian Qawall were at the peak of their prowess. They were both major innovators of the qawalli genre. Many purists consider them blasphemous not just because they moved qawalli from being predominantly religious – devotional to everyday-mundane. Remember, the ‘Paani ki qawalli’ and ‘Paisay ki qawalli’ (both by the Sabris) and the populist poetry extravaganzas of Aziz Mian (which often were more Munni Begum than Aziz Mian).

I guess I like qawalli for the same reason I like Johnny Cash and Waris Shah. They all have great stories to tell. And what could be more enticing than a good beat combined with a good story!

I found this video clip of this Sabri Brothers Qawall rendition of an old devotional qawalli. It is not the best recording but it is one of their most popular religious qawallis. And this being Ramzan – yes, I am sticking to Ramzan with a ‘Z’ – it is timely because it used to be a staple of the Sehri transmissions on PTV. Enjoy!

And while we are at it here is a clip of a classical Aziz Mian performance:

And, finally, here are a few additional Qawalli clips for Sabri Brother enthusiasts from various phases of their career.

55 Comments on “The Past and the Future of Qawali in Pakistan”

1. Adnan Ahamd says:
    October 19th, 2006 5:30 pm

I can relate to this post in so many ways. There have been numerous nights when I would be driving home past midnight after having a sixteen hour day and “nodding” my head with the beat of a qawali; “hum ghareeboan ke din bhi sanwar jaa’ein ge.. :)” A masterpiece by Sabri brothers. It would keep me up through the long commute better than coffee. Now how did I get hooked on to this music.. you even mention that in your post. Long time ago, may be even before 92 world cup, during one sehri transmission I started listening to this same qawali and then just couldn’t stop it until it was over. It was a mesmerizing performance.

2. alvipervaiz says:
    October 19th, 2006 5:47 pm

There is nothing blasphemous about Qawwali as long as it is non religious in its content. It has good rhythm and beat to it. It is enjoyable and exciting music if that is your cup of tea or ‘katora of lassi’ if you like. Some folks don’t like it when religion and singing is mixed as one. Some will argue that qawwali has its roots in Hindu practice of singing ‘bhajan’ at places of worship. Even though enjoyable and exciting it is a very basic and primitive form of music. As part of religion it borders on blasphemy. Don’t take me wrong I occasionally enjoy some of the qawwali singing but Nusrat Fatah Ali Khan was no Pavarotti. His popularity was more of a fad than a sustainable presence in the music world. Remember Maharishi Mahesh Yogi of the sixties.

3. TURAB says:
    October 19th, 2006 5:58 pm

Qawali and Sufi kalaam has always been very motivating to me. I can related to adil bhai as I love Abida Parveen’s music to death, when nobody else around me agrees with me.

Tumhien dillagi bhool jaani paregi
    Muhabbat ki raah mien aaker to dekho

God Bless everyone from Nusrat(late)to Abida

4. October 19th, 2006 6:12 pm

Qawaal aayenge, achchhe. Like in India, often in small towns you find such Qawwals in Urs that you really marvel at their voice and dedication. Phir daur aayega…zaruur…

5. October 19th, 2006 6:30 pm

Adil,
    Your description evokes numerous memories of the past. I hav been a great fan of both Sabri Brotehrs and Aziz Mian. My first brush with the Qawalli genre was when I got hold of an Aziz Mian audio cassette and I got enchanted by the sheer emotional strength of the music. If you had any chance to listen to Aziz Mian’s “Allah he janay kaun bashar hai”, it is really amazing. The description of Mairaj literally takes you 1400 years back. Then there is the “Tajdar-e-Haram” and “Bhar dey Jholi meri Ya Muhammad” by Sabri Brothers, they really take your breath away. I am still a devoted fan for this genre and happy to know that other think the same way as I do.
    Thanks
    Ahsan

6. Samdani says:
    October 19th, 2006 6:57 pm

You bring back great memories. But also a great selection. These two pieces are the most typical of Sabris and Aziz Mian. I wish these clips were longer. Love it when Aziz Mian gets up at the end of the clip in his joosh…

7. BhindiGosht says:
    October 19th, 2006 7:32 pm

I heard Aziz Mian Live at the ripe old age of 8, in an army mess in Kharian. I must say he left quite an impression on an 8 year old mind. I personally find “hai kambhakht tu ney pee he nahin” his best. For the longest time I thought the “lal pari” in the qawali referred to Rooh Afzaa.

Does anyone know of the original “khawaja ki diwani” sung by the Sabris? It used to be sold in an EMI cassette with a blue cover. I have not been able to find that version anywhere. It is a mindblowing version.

8. carri says:
    October 19th, 2006 8:05 pm

My name is Carri. I’m a screenwriter in Los Angeles, California doing research for a TV program on the sleeping habits of children all over the world, ages 6 to 12. I’d like to include children from Pakistan. I’m wondering if you could help me. I’m specifically looking for information on where children sleep (In the same bedroom with other siblings? On the street? What do their rooms look like? What are their bedtime rituals? I’d like to send parents (or anyone who works with these children) a questionnaire that better explains what I’m doing. My story is meant to be sweet piece on children, for children, but one that also enlightens them to the lives of other children around the world.
    Please email me at ckaruhn@msn.com.

9. MQ says:
    October 19th, 2006 8:25 pm

Recently I happened to attend a qawali here in New York at a fundraiser. Sabri Jr. was the main singer, who is not quite like his father but pretty good. The guests were mostly of Pakistani origin and were enjoying the evening. The American waiters, however, looked indifferent and continued serving the guests and then cleaning the tables in a business like manner. After midnight, when Sabri was beginning to warm up (they usually do around or after midnight), one could see the tired and bored looks on the waiters’ faces. And then Sabri struck the number “laal meri pat rakheeyo …”. The drum beat, the rythm and the pace of music increased. Suddenly there was electricity in the air and one could see the waiters’ faces lighting up. When Sabri reached the line “peera teri naubat baajay …” and went silent as he does at this point in the qawali, and the drummer filled the silence with an incessant and mesmerizing drum beat, the black woman waitress at our table filling a glass of water stopped in the middle, turned her head to the stage and shouted “hellelujah!”. It seemed as if she had felt not only the beat but also the sprituality of the music.

10. Talcum powder says:
    October 20th, 2006 12:17 am

when ever we go to on long trip by car and start our journey early in the morning i always open my CD”S bag with ”qawwali’s Cd first, specially sabri brothers.and in the morning time it leaves great effects on you.I heard so many times the same qawwali and always love it”sachha yeh waqiya hai azan e Bilal ka ,ek din huzor pak say logon yeh kaha,ya Mustafa azan ghalat daitay hain Bilal,farmaya Mustafa nay yeh such hai tu daikhyee.waqat e sahar ki aaj azan aur koi day.Hazrat Bilal nay jo azan e sahar na di ;kudrat khuda ki daikho na mutlaq sahar howi…….

11. iFaqeer says:
    October 20th, 2006 12:36 am

Haq, bahu! Bashak, bahu!!

12. Naveed says:
    October 20th, 2006 5:09 am

Having listened to a lot of Bhajans,the only similarity I find between Bhajans and Qawali is the religious content. Followers of all religions in some form or the other adapted to specific musical genres to communicate devotion.

Rahat Fateh Ali Khan has carried on the tradition. The All Pakistan Music Conference (APMC Karachi Chapter) holds regular concerts featuring Qawali both in their annual festival as well as solo acts

13. October 20th, 2006 8:28 am

Just like many others, I was also introduced to Qawwali by parents and PTV. Now that I am not in Pakistan, my mom diligently watched the Qawwali at Sehri time to remember me sitting in front of TV every night, singing along.

One question: My grandparents used to live in the PECHS area of Karachi. In the evenings on Wednesday, a Qawwal with a harmonium hung around his neck would walk the streets, singing sufi kalam. He would be given some money by those listening. Is that common still, and in other parts of the country? What are its historic roots?

14. MQ says:
    October 20th, 2006 6:45 pm

[quote comment="4773"]“Haq, bahu! Bashak, bahu!!” [/quote]

Dear iFaqeer,

I have noticed that you made the above comment a couple of times on different posts. It sounds nice but I don’t know what exactly it means. I am curious. I have also seen this written on the back of the buses in Pakistan. Is it some kind of a mystic chant or what? Who is Bahu? Some sufi saint? Could you, would you please explain it a little bit. Thanks.

15. October 20th, 2006 6:49 pm

MQ, I will wait for a response from my friend iFaqeer on this, since I am curious about his usage.

On the line, ‘Haq Bahu, baisahaq Bahu’, I am assuming – Naveed, am I correct – that it is probably about or from Sultan Bahu.

Also, I wanted to thank you belatedly for that wonderful message earlier about your experience with teh American wiating staff and their reaction to qawalli, especially at the point of ‘naubat baajay’… which is an amazing moment in that particular rendition for anyone…

16. MQ says:
    October 20th, 2006 8:33 pm

The impact of qawwali or, for that matter, the perpetual influence of music or rhythm on human beings reminds me of a she’r:

Rahay na Aibak-o-Ghauri kay ma’rkay baaqi
    Hamaisha taaza-o-shireen hai naghma-e-Khusro

[No one remembers the battles of of Aibak or Ghauri, but the music of Khusro remains fresh and sweet as ever ]

Incidentally, these lines are not from any fun-loving poet but from the “Poet of the Umma” — Allama Iqbal.

17. bhitai says:
    October 21st, 2006 2:37 am

Aziz miaN was awesome, so were sabris and later nfak. Each one had his own little niche, I miss them all so bad. NFAK’s breadth of music and style was unmatched, sabris’ commitment to religious themes unique, and Aziz’s miaN’s excellent choice of poetry. Marhoom’s son Imran Aziz mian has a good voice but that’s all he got, no poetic talents like his father. Similarly, Rahat Fateh Ali might know how to sing, but where would he get the creative impulsives that his prolific uncle possessed? Same is the story of the new generation of Sabris.

18. Adnan Ahmad says:
    October 21st, 2006 11:36 am

MQ, I liked your observation too. I remember about ten years ago I was watching Abrar perform billo de ghar in an open air pakistan day concert in d.c. and in the middle of the song african americans stage workers broke lose and, what they say, just went with the flow. I think we are talking about two cultures here linked with rhythm and music.

Haq, bahu! Bashak, bahu!

I think it means: truth, Bahu! without a doubt, Bahu! I believe Sultan Bahu was thinking Mansoor in these words.

19. October 22nd, 2006 2:25 am

I was introduced to Qawwali, when I was too young to walk! My father appreciates the genre quite a bit and carried me along when my parents attended ‘Qawwali Nights’. Later, I remember listening to the Sabri Brothers, among others, on Doordarshan i.e. the Indian state-owned television channel.

However, as I reached my teenage years, there was a Rock and Heavy Metal phase in my life and Qawwali and I remained apart for a long while.

We were re-united much later, after I had completed college and started working. The depth, sincerity and beauty of Sufiana qalaam touched my heart.

I still do listen to other genres as well, but when I plug in my ear-phones and listen to a devotional qawwali, I feel transported to another world altogether. It is a very spiritual experience for me.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Saaheb has rendered rather well, some verses from ‘Gurbani’ in the Qawwali genre and I enjoy listening to those too, along with his other devotional qawwalis where the musical instruments comprise nothing except the harmonium and the tabla. I wish he had lived for many more years. God bless his soul!

Abida Parveen’s rendition of Sufi poetry by Baba Bulle Shah, Waris Shah, Sultan Bahu and the like, is excellent.

Often I listen to qawwalis, through ear-phones, while working on the computer, and it not only drowns out noise from the rest of the world, but I feel it also helps improve my productivity and efficiency. At least that is what I told my bosses… :D

Excuse me for writing a rather longish comment…I sort of got carried away!!

20. Naveed says:
    October 26th, 2006 11:20 am

Thank you Adnan, Mansoor Al-Hallaj’s proclamation is indeed the essence of Haq Bahu Bayshak Bahu.

21. Rizwan says:
    December 10th, 2006 8:24 pm

Salaam,,,
    SubhanAllah so many people lost in the love out there,,,
    Qawwali is for people of spirituality, its for poeple who are not attracted to just reason or logic, its for people who give in to the amazement,,

Like Mulana Rumi said
    “The intellect and the senses investigate cause and effect,
    The spiritual seeker surrenders to wonder.”

Many people cannot understand why people look to qawwali for spiritual upliftment,,, i’ll explain in the words of Aziz Mian’s Qawwalli(not sure if his own words) Wine here is a metaphore for Knowledge…..

Wine has no particular characteristic of its own!
    It is neither good nor bad
    The pure in heart are elevated by it!
    The weak in character are destroyed by it!

He who’s drunk on a little knowledge,
    Throw him out of this tavern!
    There is no room here for the narrow-minded
    There is only room for the pure in heart!

22. Imran Khan says:
    December 30th, 2006 1:19 pm

Hi.. both clips used here where posted on youtube by myself….I would love to listen to live qawwali in the uk.. if anybody has any info please contact me on ikhan24@bradford.ac.uk

23. Samdani says:
    December 30th, 2006 5:30 pm

Dear Imran and all others who are posting good stuff on You Tube, thank for from all of us and also to ATP for sharing the best things from there on this website

24. gautam says:
    March 6th, 2007 10:01 am

Salaam alaikum everyone. I’m looking for a Sabri bros recording that I used to have over a decade ago when I was living in the State – it’s a mira bhajan – eri main to prem diwani, mera dard na jaaney koi. Does anyone know where I could find that? I can’t find it here in Bombay where I live now.

Sabri, Aziz Mian & Habib Painter are my favourites. If any of you have suggestions I would be most grateful.

Thanks, cheers.

25. Samdani says:
    April 19th, 2007 11:43 pm

Just visited this again and once again both the original writeup and teh qawallis speak to me so very deeply. (Buy the way, was the second Qawalli changed?)

26. PISHU KHUSHALANI says:
    May 16th, 2007 10:33 am

Salaam alikum;
    i salute sabri brothers for giving us opportunity to hear their quawalis and other musics.May Allah give them long lif
    e to serve the people at large
    with warmest wishes
    pishu khushalani

27. Mahmood Ashraf says:
    July 25th, 2007 6:10 pm

Qawwali is the Mystique way of transferring real stories about miracles of the Prophets and Walis and there is a great spirit in this many ppl dnt understand this and jus say that the listener is crazy but in tumhe dillagi hoto ke paas aaye hasi kya majaal hai ye…. the person huu is addicted to this music knws the fact only no1 else

28. Kruman says:
    July 25th, 2007 7:24 pm

Farid Ayaz Qawwal and his brother Abu Muhammad make a great team. In Feb 2006 there was a south asian music festival at Stanford. Farid Ayaz and party drew the largest crowds overshadowing other perfromances.

BBCurdu.com also had a one hour concert with Farid Ayaz posted on their website. It was a great one. Some of their qawwalis that I like the best are:
    - Meray banay ki baat no poocho
    - Sakhi ka say kahoon
    - Mera piya ghar aya

All 3 are available on youtube.com

29. mazhar butt says:
    July 25th, 2007 7:41 pm

Until many years ago Qawwali used to be a part of our culture. There used to be qawwali functions held by friends atleast once a year. It’s a pity that qawwali has faded out of our culture and now we hardly have a chance to attend any qawwali function. It’s the same with mushairas. Qawalli is an specialized art, listening to it is soothing to mind, rather ecstatic. Thanks to modern science and a few qawwali fans that we can see some qawwali on the internet nowadays. I think some steps should be taken to preserve this ‘sufic’ style of ‘amusement’ which is rapidly dying down the common scene. I am not sure whether we have a qawwali association in Pakistan or elsewhere? This specialized art certainly needs cultural protection.

30. August 18th, 2007 10:33 am

i am qawwali form pakistan …web .www.alimohammedtaji.com

31. Teed says:
    September 2nd, 2007 3:48 pm

To Alviperaiz: I strongly disagree with your belief that religous music is blasphemous, and your critical dismissal of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan as an Artist. But I am greatly impressed with the balanced and moderate way that you expressed your opinion. If more people expressed their differences this way, the world would be a better place.

32. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    October 2nd, 2007 4:31 pm

Qawwali a pure mughal inspired Ameer Khusro’s geniouses, end 16th century’s invention in world’s music, a miracle !!!
    had very bright existance , Giant specialists of 37 akars (emanation) of Raagas and Raganis, brilliant performance
    before the tombs of saints (financial resources of qawwals).

Life was good, adventurous under the patrons of Nawabs, Nizams and Gaddi Nashins, Peers Fakirs.

After the end of Darbar period, the Qawwals had their downfall, the ” lovers of art” shifted their loyalties to the leftists seculars communists who were simply not interested
    in Islamic mystics and their Kalams, because that was the
    trend in the subconti, they preferred going to a mujrah and watch the generous roundabouts of Bai ji and satisfy their Mussawat animal (hewan-e-natiqa) .

They had a tremendous quantities of Kalams, lost because of
    displacement and laissez-allez. Qawwali is very similar to Raags ,but short Khayals, bilampat, dhurut, or Tarana etc.

At present, unfortunately,Qawwali is deliberately kept aside
    as it does not appeal to public anymore, Mehr Ali Sher Ali,
    Amjad Sabri, late Nusrat Fateh’s brother or nephew are trying to survive only in Europe & America.

If a qawwali is performed with good music, rythm, vocals
    and of course beautifull poetry, instead of nervous, rediculous poetry, with horrible rap music. Thanks

33. AAA says:
    October 2nd, 2007 5:02 pm

Great selection of qawalis. Specially the last one.

34. Brenda says:
    October 2nd, 2007 6:05 pm

alvipervaiz says:October 19th, 2006 5:47 pm
    Don

35. bilal says:
    October 2nd, 2007 9:41 pm

AOA,
    Ramazan ka mahina hai agar ek post Ramadan per bhi ho jata to kiya bura hota.

Does Ramadan not constitute of what it means to be Pakistani or Pakistaniat for that matter?

36. atiq rehman says:
    October 3rd, 2007 12:21 am

Great Music ,Qawali goes back to few hundered years in the sub continent .There are conflicting opinions from various religious scholars about the should or should nots .Lately i have seen a programe on Aaj T.V which showed an American lady who heard the Sabri Brothers on a video tape and travled back to Paksitan researching the roots of Qawali music .She also traveled back to India to visit few Dargas of Sufis and has an amazing insight into the Qawali Music .Out of many good performers Sabri Brothers still remain at top of my list with the oldest of their numbers still sounding excellent in terms of poetry and music .Now Ghulam Fareed Sabri,s son is doing some of his fathers and uncle,s work but mostly repeats .Khawaja Ki Dewani was originally composed by Maqbool Farid Sabri even though it was copied by many including composers in India ,in my opinion as long as it does not distract your religious beliefs and stays away from Shirk it is fine to listen .

37. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    October 3rd, 2007 5:33 am

Brenda,
    Salaam to you

Nusrat was trying to manage his vocal drawback which was his voice’s aiguity, high octave and a very thin tenor, his urdu pronunciation was certinly with punjabi accent,
    But excellent
    technique, controle and rythm. So in the west something new, is always attractive, In 2004 I had organised with an Association, the concert Amjad Sabri gave and I presented it was welcomed by multi cultis.

As for music in Islam forbidden, I don’t think you were correctly informed, There is nothing the sort in Quran, no valid hadith to support, I am still researching, uptill now
    only one hadith thats to not clear at all.

38. Naseem says:
    October 3rd, 2007 8:12 am

Assalamau Laikum,

Muslims are aware that nothing has been prohibited by Allah SWT except that which is harmful to the welfare of a Muslim individual and the society as a whole. The divine attribute behind the prohibition of music can be comprehended by looking into the diverse influence music can have.

Today, individuals are being confronted by a situation where one is forced to listen to music whether by choice or without. Music is played in nearly all department stores and super markets. Even whilst walking in the streets, we find cars blaring with music. No matter which direction we go, we are blasted with music. The increasing popularity of music, which is prevalent in our society poses a tremendous danger for muslims.

It is a very ignorant and misguided attitude to percieve music as a form of pleasure and passing of time, since the messages of today`s music follow a general theme of love, fornication, drugs and freedom.

We find that the whole world is obsessed with the kufr idea of freedom, i.e. freedom of speech, freedom of movement, etc.

In modern schools and universities, we observe independence, free expression and secular thinking being encouraged. This idea of freedom,

39. Tina says:
    October 3rd, 2007 9:42 am

Sorry Naseem, love and freedom have always been positives in my perception and always will be. And I will fight to the death for both these things.

I think any attempt of yours to say that religion prohibits the exercise of love and freedom is a profound misunderstanding of religious purpose. Religion, including Islam, should help people, not enslave them.

There is no culture on the face of the earth which does not enjoy musical expression, if not a well developed musical tradition. All cultures have invented different kinds of instruments. Music is a human universal. To say that Islam should stifle this is simply perverse.

My favorite qawwali singer, just to toss my hat in the ring, is Abida Parween, who I’ve had the honor of seeing live in Karachi–I’ll never forget it.

40. chief sahib says:
    October 3rd, 2007 4:32 pm

Dear Naseem the same freedom is for you to have your beliefs and practice them. Being against freedom of thought is what leads to ignorance. I’ve known a lot of people finding religon under the exact same umbrella of freedom that you define of a foreign university. When there is freedom you are free to pray all day and all night, you are free to read the Quran instead of this comment or this article (which you chose to do out of your own free will). Judge not people other than yourself.

41. Qadir says:
    October 3rd, 2007 11:36 pm

Yes, that was the golden era of qawalli. I think the Sabri brothers did great work to popularize this art form.

42. Naseem says:
    October 4th, 2007 6:50 am

Assalamau Laikum Tin, Chief Sahib,

It is interesting how quickly the word death is mentioned with the word freedom. In a sense there is freedom and freedom. Who says that you cannot have freedom with out music….it is a particular form of freedom.

The Quaran says that music is bad for us….and the words are divine….uncorruptable and cannot be wrong.

To defy the holy suras are synomous

43. Tina says:
    October 4th, 2007 8:37 am

Hello Naseem,

Could you give me the surah and verse of where in the Q’uran music is prohibited? Seriously, I am interested in reading that. I wonder if there can be other ways of reading it, I feel there must be. Thank you, Tina

44. Naseem says:
    October 4th, 2007 10:48 am

Assalamau Laikum Tina,

It is good to talk to you Inshallaa.

The references within the context of the Qur`aan Sharif along with the Hadith of the Prophet PBUH confirm that music is haraam.

Interpreters of the Qur`aan have defined the term `lahwal hadith` which is mentioned in the Qur`aan as:
    1) Singing and listening to songs.
    2) Purchasing of male and female singers.
    3) Purchase of instruments of fun and amusement.

When Sayyidana Abdullah Ibne Mas`ood , a very close companion of our Prophet PBUH was asked about the meaning of the term `lahwal hadith`, he replied

45. MQ says:
    October 4th, 2007 11:22 am

[quote]Could you give me the surah and verse of where in the Q

46. Amra says:
    October 4th, 2007 4:56 pm

Does anyone know any website where you could download Qawalis? Or an online cd shop where they might be sold. These are fantastic. Takes me back to my childhood. Driving long distances with my parents ( Europe, North Africa) and my parents putting on their favourite Qawalis. The atmosphere became magical and us kids would be lulled into quiet repose at the back.

47. T.M. Shahid says:
    November 28th, 2007 4:19 am

For Fans of SABRI Brothers
    My attachement with qawwali started when I listened first time ..Sar-e-La Makan say talab huee….an since then (late seventies), I am a serious fan of Sabri Brothers. My collection includes almost all the qawwalies performed by Sabri Brothers which once entered the market. Besides these, many private mehfils and Radio archives, TV programs etc. I believe that most of their Master Pieces are still out of sight for genuine qawwali fans….like 30 min version of NAZAN HAY JIS PEH HUSN…..KHURSHEED E RISAALAT KEE SHUAAON KASAR HAY (not the commercial versions)…are perhaps their best performances. I would like to share my interest with genuine qawwali fans … T.M. Shahid

48. Harish Shah says:
    December 21st, 2007 6:51 am

Salaam everyone. I

49. February 3rd, 2008 5:57 am

I have the track:
    Eri Main Tou Prem Diwani by Sabri Bros…
    If anyone needs it, mail me at:
    nikhil.khullar786@gmail.com

50. hekllo says:
    April 17th, 2008 8:51 pm

qari saeed chishti was a great qawwal aswell

51. Kruman says:
    May 31st, 2008 3:28 am

A website dedicated to qawwalis, posting select qawwalis periodically:

52. syed says:
    June 5th, 2008 3:22 pm

Dear ALL,

I am looking for pani ki qawalli by sabri bros, to download can some one provide me the download link please
    thanks

Syed

53. March 16th, 2009 1:45 am

Hello every body i am babar khan of vienna austria.Pleased to have found this forum. I am looking for some pakistani artists or qawals who will be in europe in mid of june because we are having 3 multicultural programs in june in vienna Austria.on 11th of june and 14th of june and 27th of june.please help me finding enybody who can make representation of pakistan unforgetabel.love to have you as a paticipent too.thanks.
    Babar khan (Austrian international cultural association and Friends of Pakistan global.)babar khan48@hotmail.com

54. Fasahat Siddiqui says:
    July 4th, 2009 6:28 pm

salaam aly kum

i am looking qawwali which shows on ptv may be 12year ago.
    by nusrath fate ali khan marhoom jannat naseeb hoo.

lab pay jab sayyed alam ki sana aati hai unki yaado say mujai yaade kuda aati hai.

pls any one who has this qawwali pls pls send me this qawwalli to me on my email or just show me where i can download this one.

55. Sara says: