Umar Sharif: The King of Stage Comedy

Posted on March 6, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Humor, People, TV, Movies & Theatre

Although I have always found Umar Sharif’s comedy to be socialy poignant, hard-hitting, and often hilarious, I must confess that I was not a great Umar Sharif fan growing up. This was largely an age and timing thing. But it is quite clear that there has been no stage comedy phenomenon in Pakistan like Umar Sharif either before or after him.

Although he has now taken on a broader – even sub-continental – canvas, his early work was very rooted in the Pakistan mega-city culture; especially Karachi and Lahore.‚ His ‘burger’ kid routine really went home on the social and economic apartheid that still tears at our society. Sometimes the pungency of his jugaat masks the craftsmanship of his theatrical performance, but to me there are very few who command the ‘stage’ presence that he does, particularly in the stage play. Indeed, he was to stage comedy in Pakistan was Fifty-Fifty (and here) was to television comedy.

Moeen Akhtar, obviously, has ruled he stage show scenaro like no other; but his stage presence is of compare and senior fankaar. The Umar Sharif phenomenon is primarily about the stage comedy play. Even though he has tried to become a Mueen Akhtar look-alke as stage compare, that is not his forte and in that role Moeen still rule (at least for me).

And within the genre of the Pakstani stage comedy play, there is nothing that even remotely comes close to Baqra Qistoun Peh; which, in some ways, is Omar Sharif’s signature performance. Here is a clip from that play which demonstrates why:

56 comments posted

Comment Pages: [7] 6 5 4 3 2 1 » Show All

1. June 12th, 2012 3:29 pm

I wish you will retain updating your composed content consistently when you possess just one dedicated reader here.

2. March 17th, 2012 12:48 pm
  3. Shon says:
    January 19th, 2012 12:50 pm

Adil Najam is one of my favorites comics …hie sense of humor is so bright and light so I like him

4. January 13th, 2012 5:51 pm
  5. tanroop dhillon says:
    October 3rd, 2011 10:26 pm

Sir,
    I am a student and a big fan of yours. Ive been trying to contact you but coudn’t figure out your address. Actually i wanted to give you my humble request of please visiting our college and perform lively at our annual cultural fest. So it would be my humble request if you mail me your contact information so that i can update you in detail.
    Thank you.

6. December 7th, 2010 2:29 am

I really like play of umar sharf can u send me the link of his website

7. August 8th, 2010 2:55 pm

Umer Sharif Is King Of Comedy, and Pride of Pakistan!

8. July 19th, 2010 10:59 pm

Your blog is different from most people, you are good. Glad to share this article with you. Hope you can do better in the future.By
    the way ,Supra Dixonis good.by Supra .

Comment Pages: [7] 6 5 4 3 2 1 » Show All