Ultimate Lollywood (1): Tu Turu Turu Tara Tara

Posted on March 29, 2009
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Music, TV, Movies & Theatre

My own fascination for Pakistani cinema – especially Maulla Jatt, Waheed Murad and Ahmad Rushdie – is well documented at ATP. The two songs I bring you this weekend are not the types that I would usually gravitate to (even though one of them features Waheed Murad).

Personally, I would still go with Ko Ko Korina (or is is Co Co Corina?) any day, but finding these two songs on YouTube brought a big smile on my face. In some ways they represent something quintessentially Lollywood.

This first song (above), “Tu Turu Turu Tara Tara” was a massive “super-hit” of its time and propelled singer Naheed Akhtar to the height of her career. It was never my favorite song but the melody is catchy and tends to sticks with you.

I had actually never seen the movie and did not know it featured Waheed Murad. I am still wondering what storyline would have brought the sombre looking Waheed Murad in his shairana outfit to the gyrations of Mumtaz flicking her locks and jumping around seemingly oblivious of her partner’s pensive mood.

The second song, I think, is even more Lollywood (as if that were possible). It features Nadeem and Shabnum, the great duo of their time. Niether was known for their dancing talents; and one can see why. But one can also see why they were such a popular pair. Also starring is the incomprable (literally) Rangeela. Nadeem sings himself, Rangeela does not (although he was actually a good singer); Ahmad Rushdie sings for him.

The setting – a party of some sort where lead actors sing and dance while everyone else sits silently, claps and sips Coke – is as natural a setting for Lollywood as it was always unatural a reality for Pakistan. But that is what makes this special. This scence is as quintessentially Lollywood for this era as a poor hero growing up in slums but knowing how to play a grand piano was to another era. Maybe that is what makes it so much fun to watch today. Ultimately, it is the song itself – another catchy melody that sticks with you – that made this a great radio favorite then and still memorable today.

13 Comments on “Ultimate Lollywood (1): Tu Turu Turu Tara Tara

1. Hashmi says:
    March 29th, 2009 12:39 pm

Speaking of such songs, I wonder if you could help? When I was a child, eaons ago, there was this film with Nadeem and an actress called Kavita, I think. Lots of foreign location shoots and beautiful songs. Was her first film I think and she played a guide in it.. but dash it all, cant remember the name. Any ideas??

2. Riaz Haq says:
    March 29th, 2009 12:45 pm

This post brought back good memories of Pakistani cinema’s heyday prior to Zia’s decade of the 80s.

And the mention of Rangeela reminded me of the satire in “Insaan Aur Gadha”, a rather crude take on Alexander Hamilton’s reported quote “Masses are asses”. The movie had a successful run of several weeks before it was banned by the Bhutto government.

3. ASAD says:
    March 29th, 2009 1:19 pm

What great selections.

The “REAL” Lollywood act is Rangela. An amazing character.

You are right, both songs are real catchy.

4. Kiran Omar says:
    March 29th, 2009 10:22 pm

Dr. Najam it was a pleasure meeting you recently at the Indo/Pak Peace Conference. I am thrilled to see on this blog that you, like myself, are an admirer and supporter of Lollywood and Maula Jat genre of films. They, along with their posters were bizarrely entertaining.
    My vote goes firmly in favour of KO-KO KORINA….koi muqabilla naheen hai, it wins each time hands down. Although TU-TURU-TARRA TARRA has a certain panche to it, Naheed Akhtar sang with such insouciance and brashness that was startlingly refreshing, you would agree.
    Someone mentioned “Insaan aur Gadha”, I thought it was one of Rangeela’s best, I could never tire of the scene where he prays to God to make him a gudha and on cue, lightening strikes and he turns into a donkey…..simply riveting!…wish one could perform the same miracle (mirakel as they would say in Lollywood..mira kel ho gaya) on our clueless politicians….kaash aissa hotha.
    Keep those songs coming….
    Thanks for a really good site.

5. Watan Aziz says:
    March 29th, 2009 11:33 pm

Ah, but there has been none like Firdous in Heer and her Ranjha. And even if you cannot get the words, the mood is captured in WANJLI WALEREYA TU TAAN MOH LEI OH MUTAIR

Equally captivating is SUN WANJLI DI TAAN

But the movie’s synchronized hilarity was MEIN CHAM CHAM NACHAN

And through the whole movie, Ijaz could not wipe off his silly smile from his face; he seems to be saying, ‘hey guys, I have Firdous doing rings around me, go figure’.

Of course, not without Noor Jehan who made it unforgettable.

BTW, does anyone know what is they Ko Ko or Co Co business is all about? It is a mystery to me as it does not make any sense.

6. Pure Indian says:
    March 30th, 2009 12:09 am

It is articles like this that makes PAKISTANIAT so special.

7. Haroon says:
    March 30th, 2009 12:33 am

Love the selection. Made my day.

You know what is MOST Lollywood in this – in the second song, it is the look on the faces of all the extras sitting around… priceless.

8. USMAN says:
    March 31st, 2009 9:51 am

Recent tragic events made me miss this one.

But what a great selection of songs. Nostalgic and funny too.

Thank you for posting these.

9. March 31st, 2009 10:23 pm

Nice finds….def. lollywood…I remember a bunch of Pakistani and Indian movies from my father’s collection that had strikingly similar lounge set ups.
    I am hearing the second song for the first time and though I cannot point to exact songs, it seems to be a curious mix of rhythms from 2-3 other songs (could even be from India). I feel like I have heard the music (when Rangila enters) at some latin dance clubs in the US.

10. Babar says:
    April 1st, 2009 11:54 am

Really classic stuff here. Thank you for posting. Yes, ultimate Lollywood, indeed.

April 1st, 2009 12:40 pm

I enjoyed watching Rangeela’s performance in second song :)

12. RAZA says:
    April 5th, 2009 1:06 pm

Ah … mazza aa gaya.

Jawab nahib.

great memories and very nice selection.

13. Watan Aziz says:
    September 7th, 2010 11:54 pm

“Tu Turu Turu Tara Tara”

Wow! Hot dog.

I had forgotten this one. Move over Janet Jackson. I do not remember this actress, but she rocks.

BTW, just stumbled on to Waheed Murad in a red spydy “Khuch loog, rooth kar”. It is so easy to slide back in those memories.

And watching the one and only “KO KO KORENA” and “Socha Tha Pyar Na kareinge” made me think that while in both the Punjabi and the Urdu songs the “extras” are very cheesy, but with one major difference. In Punjabi songs, they are not “starving”! And those Punjabi jatniees are certainly very “enthusiastic”.

BTW, we had a version of “Socha Tha Pyar Na kareinge” but that will force a change of ratings for this website. I do not know who came up with it.

And if you, yes you, know it; smile!