Desi Engineering from Khewra

Posted on January 2, 2009
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Economy & Development, Photo of the Day, Science and Technology

Owais Mughal

I saw following photo in Raja Islam‘s collection and remained stuck at it. He took this photo in Khewra on October 6, 2008. Looking at it we can safely say that Salt Mines of Khewra are not the only tourist attraction there. But what is this thing? One can run their imagination wild. I would say it is a mixture of indigenous mechanical engineering and art. The front is devoid of any bumper, head lights or number plates. For number plates, we can argue the department of motor vehicle must be debating on how to classify this vehicle. What other details do you observe here?

Photo Credits: Raja Islam

16 Comments on “Desi Engineering from Khewra”

1. Asma says:
    January 2nd, 2009 1:13 am

Ah ha .. how interesting =)

Err.. love the color of its handle :)

2. ASAD says:
    January 2nd, 2009 3:06 am

I assume that the front engine is of a tractor. Is that right?

3. ASAD says:
    January 2nd, 2009 3:06 am

It could not be very easy to manouver on small roads so I think it will not be used as a public carrier

4. Shayan says:
    January 2nd, 2009 4:29 am

Another one of our machines that would fit so well in the Tate Modern or the MoMA. I always thought that a Karachi bus deserves a spot in one of those museums!

5. faisal says:
    January 2nd, 2009 5:46 am

Whatever it is its not going to win any beauty context.

6. idealist says:
    January 2nd, 2009 12:03 pm

Ingenuity still alive in our people…..hope still lives.

7. Anwar says:
    January 2nd, 2009 1:13 pm

I also liked this contraption. Front wheel drive, a bit stiff to maneuver (like the tiller). Flywheel was added at a late stage. .
    Last but not least the turquoise color handles controlling the 25 HP mechanical beast…. Well done.

8. Riaz Haq says:
    January 2nd, 2009 6:56 pm

I saw similar strange contraptions plying on the roads in India on my last visit. They were heavily overloaded with people and produce in rural settings. But the ones I saw in India were not as pleasing to look at as what you see in this picture. I was told that they are called “Jugad” , which is probably a desi word for “improvisation”.

9. Eidee Man says:
    January 2nd, 2009 10:51 pm

@Shayan,
    if this thing does make it to the MoMa, in my opinion it will be their first useful piece!

Also, why does he look half-embarrassed. I would be proud!

10. January 4th, 2009 11:13 am

I wish he was the first one to think of something like this…but if one goes to smaller cities and towns in China, one would see these vehicles everywhere…They are extremely polluting vehicles used to cart around people as well as construction materials and the gamut in and out of factories and construction sites.
    I imagine we will be seeing more of China dumping its last generation technologies in Pakistan in the future.

11. Saud says:
    January 4th, 2009 2:58 pm

Yeah, I agree with Bilal Zuberi. I have seen many of this kind of vehicles here in China…….

12. Malang says:
    January 5th, 2009 11:41 am

Well This vechicle is called Takah- Thakka (because of its huge noise Takah-Takah), it used to be very popular in mid 90′s specially in district Chakwal for the transportation. But suddenly it dissappeared from the scene and now i have scene its picture. We used it for the transportation of bricks

13. ASIF says:
    January 5th, 2009 1:21 pm

Thanks malang. Did not know that.

Also, Bilal, you don’t have to be the FIRST one. Inventors are, but nearly no entrepreneur ever is. The important think is whether you have it in you to take the available technologies and make more of them than others are making.

This guy is a much bigger entrepreneur than these self-styled IT people because he is actually making something work to meet a demand in the market. So, lets please not pooh pooh the real entrepreneurs in society.

14. Rasheed says:
    January 6th, 2009 7:31 pm

Could someone please quickly call President Obama (almost) in America?

There the so-called “big three”, Chrysler, Ford and GM, are having a difficult time! :)

15. farrukh says:
    January 7th, 2009 9:27 am

I like this aproach.this will be more affective way to protect anvoirment

16. SM says:
    May 17th, 2011 12:55 pm

I remember seeing it for the first time in late 80′s.
    Its local name as called in Pakistan is “Dong Fong Tractor”
    Actually imported from china.

what is hidden in the picture is the two headlights placed towards the top front of the engine. A very versitile machine