The Most Memorable Pakistani Movie Dialogue Ever?

Posted on January 17, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, People, TV, Movies & Theatre

I should confess that one of the posts that I had most fun writing for ATP – and one that I myself go back to often – was our original homage to the movie Maula Jatt.

The title I had used then was ‘Nawa aaya hai, soonia’ which, of course, is the hallmark line from the movie. At that time I had not been able to find a clip where this wonderful line is so wonderfully delivered by Mustafa Qureshi (Noori Natt in the movie). I have found that clip now and wanted to share it with you.

The clip that I had included in the earlier post was, I think, a very good exemplar of the ‘juGGat’ style of dialogue and ‘baRak’ style of delivering dialogue, but it is this current clip that demonstrates the art-form at its best. Note the entry of Nuri Natt (in that Clint Eastwood style), note the to and fro of exaggerated dialogue between Mustafa Qureshi and the jailor, note heavy weaving of metaphor in the dialogue. This scene, to me, represents the movie more than any other.

You do not need to know the intricacies of Punjabi to follow the dialogue. Indeed, I find it amusing as well as appropriate that the greatest Punjabi film dialogues were delivered by a Sindhi (Mustafa Qureshi).

On the importance of the movie, I had written in the earlier post:

I do believe â€â€? and I know I am in a minority here â€â€? that Maulla Jatt is not just a remarkable but a milestone Pakistani film. Most people think of it as an ‘action’ film (and some would call it an over-action film), but for me it is a dialogue movie. Memorable for its dialogues and even more for how they were delivered by Sultan Rahi and Mustafa Qureshi… Let me go out on a real limb here and suggest that Maula Jutt is to Pakistani cinema was Godfather was to Hollywood and what Shoalay was to Bollywood. I know, I know. That is too much to gulp. I am exaggerating (on acting quality, for example); but only for effect! But play along and think of it…. It is an action movie most memorable for its dialogue. It blurs the line between good guys and bad guys. It is thick with political and social commentary. And it leaves an imprint on everyday language that lives beyond the movie (â€Â?I’ll make them an offer they cannot refuseâ€Â?, “kitnay aadmi th-ay?â€Â?, “nawa aaya hai, soonia?â€Â?).

For those unfamiliar with the movie’s political and cultural context, let me repeat again from the earlier post:

Released at the height of the Zia-ul-Haq regime, it was full of political innuendo. Die-hard fans will talk about how the message of the movie was that when faced with oppression we sometimes have to take things in our own hand (as Maulla does) but this is a painful process (hence Maulla’s constant desire not to have to use his dreaded ganDassa). At least, this is what the myth became.

Amongst a large segment of our educated elites there is a deeply ingrained (and cultivated) feeling that Maulla Jatt is the height of the uncouth, of the ‘paindoo.’ Unfortunately, I find that most who hold this view have never actually seen the movie. So, be it. If paindoo it is, then paindoo I am!

By the way, if you have not seen the movie and want to, nearly all of it can now be viewed on YouTube.

18 Comments on “The Most Memorable Pakistani Movie Dialogue Ever?”

1. Asma says:
    January 17th, 2007 1:52 am

So very rite there , somehow every pakistani DO know Nawaa aayan aye’ and Maulay noo maula nayii maarda … dialogues ; paindoo or not paindoo :)

Interestingly, I saw an interview of Mustafa Qureishi – being an Urdu speaking individual the interviewer asked the very same thing that you’ve delivered the most famous dialogues of Punjabi Movies – he said when the role was offered and he had to speak punjabi – he was nervous about his accent – so he turned the voice’s pitch low so that it won’t be very apparent that he’s a non-punjabi – I guess that became the Noori Nath style and the legacy was followed on till now …!

2. Daktar says:
    January 17th, 2007 5:14 am

HA! Yes, this is a true classic.
    Even I do not know of any other dialogue from a Pakistani movie by heart. But I know this one.

3. Zia says:
    January 17th, 2007 6:14 am

Adil, a Maula Jatt screening in 6-120 was a hit Paksmit event in ’95 or ’96 (OK maybe 30 people showed). Very popular with the Boston Sikh community too :) Do you remember being there?

4. Moeen Bhatti says:
    January 17th, 2007 8:48 am

It is indeed classic. Thanks for posting it.

5. Wasiq Ali says:
    January 17th, 2007 12:09 pm

I wonder if people can think of other similar classics?

6. The Pakistanian says:
    January 17th, 2007 3:54 pm

I saw this movie when I was a kid and hated it. I have seen bits and pieces of it again and to me, the only reason this movie was such a big hit were those verbal exchanges between Maula Jat and Nouri Nat. Other than that, the direction, the production, the music and the acting in this movie are just like any other formula film produced in those days with “Jat” in their title, not to mention the inspiration behind this film was a film called Wehshi Jat. Also in my opinion, I seriously doubt the cinema going public in those years (early 80s) understood one bit of the social or the political satire, that some claim, is depicted in the film. I think this film is for no reason shoved down everyone’s throat just because it was a huge hit in a country with an abysmal literacy rate! and for any film critic to criticize it in a bad way is tantamount to blasphemy. To me, this movie was extremly ridiculous yet amusing by virtue of the dialogue and those over the top actions sequences, and the very first step towards the self destruction of the entire Pakistani film industry.

Disclaimer: I am a big paindoo, and would prefer Sheeda Pistol and Sala Sahab over Maula Jat any day! :)

7. Razi says:
    January 17th, 2007 4:57 pm

It would be interesting if folks can list out some memorable quotes from old movies.

I can start by “Kahan se aaye haen yeh Jhumke? Kis ne pehnae haen yeh Jhumke?”. I believe the movie was ‘Badnaam’.
    These lines were also used by Majid Jahangir in a 50-50 skit where he plays a Custom officer at the Airport.

8. Moeen Bhatti says:
    January 17th, 2007 8:08 pm

Talking about old ‘classics’, the names which come into my mind are Munawar Zareef, Ali Ejaz, Naanna, Sudhheer, Rangeela etc. The movies which come into my mind are Geera Blade, Insaan Aur Gagtha; and I would say any movie of Munawar Zareef was a classic. He was the best comadian of Pakistan Film Industry. Some old movies of Rangeels like Kubra Aashiq, in which he has palyed more serious role, were classics too. He was also a wonderful singer.

9. Naveed says:
    January 18th, 2007 2:59 am

‘Nawa aaya hai, soonia’
    I have set it as new SMS alert tone on my cellphone..! ;)

10. Daktar says:
    January 18th, 2007 12:12 pm

I saw the movie when I was in college and enjoyed it for the dialogue and the dhishoo dhishoo. Then I say it again (on a very bad DVD print) a few years ago. I liked it much better next time because it really has a great story line. Also, I think it has a hero who looks like ordinary people in that region rather than the very ‘beautiful’ looking heros that were appearing in the Urdu cinema of the 1960s. I do think it is a great film.

11. RAI.T.U.KHAN says:
    January 19th, 2007 5:09 pm

i saw it first time,but i heard the dialogue ‘nawaa aayan aye soonia’ many times in few years back.it was very popular in punjab.thanks for sharing.

12. January 20th, 2007 7:05 pm

Zia, so very sorry for the late response… I have been travelling in and out of teh country the last many days and just keeping this going has been a stretch… yes, of course, I remember the screening of Maula Jatt at MIT in 6-120 in the mid-90s by Paksmit (or was it the South Asia society?)… it was a great event and I know that many non-Pakistanis (including many Americans) attended…. I have since screened it for Americans elsewhere; often to better reviews than by Pakistanis who have been taught that this is ‘paindo’ stuff ;-)

13. Saleema says:
    April 2nd, 2007 11:58 pm

Did some one mention that Sultan Rahi came from a ‘Urdu speaking’ family from UP, India.

14. gujjar302 says:
    April 9th, 2007 4:14 pm

Every Sultan Rahi (late) and Mustafa Qureshi film released in UK was must see, i still remember at very young age in the 80′s going primary school on the way i used to pass by an asian video shop and on the window were around 4 posters of new releases mainly SR and MQ in the film and 2 posters for indian films, i grew up watching these two legends, and they had many formidable films together most notably ”Maula Jatt” this film will go down in the punjabi film history as the master peice of a movie, not all with agree with me, the story of Maula Jatt was born few years earlier in Hassan Askaris Weshi Jatt, Maula Jat was the follow up movie from weshi jatt, those who have seen ”MJ” when Sultan Rahi makes the hero’s entry adeeb ask’s him ”TEY MAULA JAT TU WEH”

SR Reply ” WESHI JAT WI MEH SAH OYE”
    this being a clear reference to the title role SR
    played in the earlier film!

This was the film for the 1st time put Mustafa Qureshi directly opposite SR,even though they appeared in a few earlier films together, MQ was usually in low profile roles
    in a SR movie, Noorie Nat did the same for MQ what Gabbar Singh did for Amjad Khan in Sholay, both these films for the villans were career defining which established thier profile.

MQ stole the show arguably the most finest performance of his career came in MJ same as Amjad Khan in sholay.
    With SR and MQ its like putting positive and negative to get a reaction maybe sparks there were plenty in Maula Jat

the acting,dialougues, background music and couple of punjabi songs which worked wonders for this film, direction was good picture quality was poor and some scenes were shot in very poor visabilty which really spoilt it a little bit,

Both SR and MQ delivered ace performances.

this established the long running partnership between the 2 legends with many box office smash hits.

while some argue MJ was violent having seen some recent punjabi films of shaan, the violence and filth these new films have, were nothing compared to SR MQ film, the other thing is u could sit with ur family including ladies and watch SR and MQ films.

Sultan Rahi and Mustafa Qureshi are legends forever.

15. Ahmed says:
    May 27th, 2007 3:32 pm

I watched couple of movies of Mustufa Qureshi and Sultan Rahi and to be honest, i was not impressed. But there was one thing that was really fascinating, and that was people who were watching these movies in cinema. Most of them were
    daily labourers,,(Mazdoor),, who just wanted some time to relax after a long day of labour. When ever Sultan Rahi picks up his Gundasa and produces shouts(haaaaaaaaaaaaaa),
    and then there is no stopping of him fighting with a thousand men alone,,, these people will jump up from their seats,clapping, and their faces full of joy,,really amazing to see that scene. Another example of how innocent our people actually are.

16. faraz asif says:
    November 28th, 2007 4:46 pm

hello all of you
    can any one tell me where i can download this movies or there is any site so i can download pakistani old movies plz if any body knows to let me know my email address is f_t_da@hotmail.com and pakistani old movies are the best but i dont know people why they not making any good movies like we make in past so hope they make again

17. October 20th, 2008 5:34 am

Like RTU Khan, I didn’t ever know about the movie but yes, the dialogue, and m’ really impressed to see the clip. I mean we have had something in the past, that was probably, or certainly based on the real picture of the society, and so is memorable till yet.

18. Qausain says:
    March 19th, 2009 4:22 am

//Maula Jutt is to Pakistani cinema was Godfather was to Hollywood and what Shoalay was to Bollywood.//
    LOL .. vary true