Where is My Qibla?

Posted on August 20, 2008
Filed Under >Mast Qalandar, Humor, Society

Mast Qalandar (a.k.a. Aziz Akhmad)

Normally, I receive four or five e-mail messages daily that I want to read, mainly from family and friends. That day I received two dozen, or more — from places as far as Swat in Pakistan to San Francisco in the US. It was not junk mail, but helpful advice, offered in earnest, on how to determine the exact direction of the qibla (the location of Ka’ba, the cubic structure in Mecca, towards which Muslims pray) in North America. The messages came in response to an article that I had written about the APPNA meeting, “I fell among (the APPNA) doctors”, which was published on ATP and in The News.

In that article, I had described the various events I witnessed, from the sidelines, at the annual get-together of the Pakistani-American doctors in Washington DC. The events included recreational, social, political, and spiritual activities, both organized and spontaneous. Among other things, I had mentioned, passingly, an incident where a doctor, seemingly in a rush to say his maghrib prayer, had asked me the direction of the qibla, and I had, reflexively, pointed to the west, whereas the qibla, here in North America, is generally to the east.

Reading the messages, what surprised me was the lengths to which the different writers went and the pains they took to explain the various ‘scientific’ techniques and procedures they thought should be employed to determine the exact direction of the qibla.

Personally, I never had a problem in determining the direction of the qibla. For me, in Pakistan, the qibla was always to the west. Actually, where I grew up, the direction of the qibla was toward the mountain behind which the sun set. A few degrees this way or that way didn’t matter as long as one faced the general direction of the mountain. No one ever heard of a debate or discussion on the subject. Nor anyone felt the need for employing any scientific techniques to determine the precise direction.

When I first came to the US, many years ago, as a young student, our campus was situated at the foot of a mountain range. And, just like back home, here, too, the sun set behind the mountains. Reflexively, I thought that must be the direction of the qibla. But, since we were on the other side of the globe, it didn’t take any deep understanding of Astronomy or Calculus to know that the direction of the qibla, here, was in the opposite direction – away from the mountains. One got used to the new orientation just as one got used to driving on the right-hand side of the road. Again, never did one hear of any deliberations or debate on determining the precise direction of the qibla – to the nearest decimal, that is.

But I guess those were the proverbial good old days when things were relatively simple. We used common sense to find answers to common questions. We hadn’t yet entered the field of “rocket science”. We stumbled on that branch of knowledge much later. (Incidentally, in those days in the US, we also didn’t read the label on a box of cereals to check if it contained animal proteins. Nor did we stop brushing our teeth for fear that the toothbrush might have animal bristles on it. We knew bristles on toothbrushes were made of synthetic fiber, thanks to DuPont who started making nylon in 1938.)

Some of the ” helpful advice” I received in my in-box varied from simple to very complex.

One writer offered a simple and easy-to-follow advice. He said:

“qibla direction in North America is North-East, not just East.”.

Another writer, a bit more precise, said:

“Qibla is 45 degrees North of East. ” Yet another said: “17 degrees North-East”

But the question is, which way exactly is the east? And how do you measure degrees? Carry a compass?

Another writer, Mr. Khan, from France, wrote:

“The physical direction of qiblah Q from the place where you live Y is a vector YQ. You can very well decompose this vector into YX (vector from your place Y to any landmark X) and vector XQ. The sum of these last two vectors, YQ+XQ will be the first one YQ.”

Since I didn’t quite follow the thread of Mr. Khan’s logic, I wrote back to him, thanking him for his advice and confessing that I had dropped mathematics as a subject at the first available opportunity in college, and therefore if he could explain his point in simple language.

Mr. Khan came back with a diagram of the globe, marked with points and lines, and a page length of explanation. I reproduce only a few lines of the explanation (you will know why):

“Any point in a rectilinear coordinates can be represented in (X, Y, Z) three dimensions. Since our earth is sphere, we better use the spherical coordinates. In this system we use R, Theta, and Phi, where R is the radius of the sphere, in this case radius of the earth, which remains constant, so we simply have to know Theta and Phi of any place to know its exact position …”

Mr. Khan reminds me of one of our professors who scribbled equations on the blackboard, furiously, like a man possessed, without looking back at the class, using up the chalk to the point where his fingers could not hold it any longer. While he would use up chalk after chalk on the blackboard, the class would pray for the bell to ring.

I decided not to seek any further explanation from Professor Khan.

There were several other suggestions, some referring to the latitudes, longitudes and to the angle of the tilt of the globe etc. However, the most useful tip, because it was the quickest and did not involve any calculations on my part, came from someone in the US, from the West Coast (I suspect from Silicon Valley). The gentleman sent me an Internet link. All I had to do was open the given web page, enter my zip code, click Enter, and I would get the precise direction in the form of a red line pointing to the qibla.

I opened the web page recommended by the writer, entered my New York zip code and clicked the Enter key. Up came, on the computer screen, a virtual 3-dimensional Google map of Manhattan, showing all the streets and landmark buildings. Penetrating through the maze of streets was a thick, solid, red line emitting, like a laser beam, from my specific address, on the West Side of Manhattan, heading straight into the Empire State Building!

Rather than choosing any of the solutions offered, that is, carrying a compass, trying to solve Professor Khan’s mathematical equations, or facing the Empire State Building, personally, I feel more comfortable with the 1400 years old advice that says: “Righteousness is not whether you turn your face to the east or the west” rather it is serving humanity and doing good deeds (2:177).

The article was also published in The News of August 15, 2008.

46 Comments on “Where is My Qibla?”

1. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    August 20th, 2008 10:57 am

@Mast Qalander,
    after having a glass of fresh spring water (as advised by
    martial law regulation of ATP) have the following:

Qalandaron ko muyyaser howa un ko gumrah kerna,
    Tabibon ka Qiblah, sharq se Gharb tak barha dena

Rafay Kashmiri

2. Adnan Ahmad says:
    August 20th, 2008 11:04 am

MQ, This seemed like an excerpt from one of Shafiqurahman’s books.:) In a way this gives a deep perspective on the present day muslim world. Not that other religions don’t have such issues (problem of historicity, Hermeneutics etc.)

3. Basit says:
    August 20th, 2008 11:05 am

Sorry for being blunt but I don’t believe that personal opinions are valid with respect to religious issues. Direction towards Qibla during prayers is a fard (necessary)- you can google this and find the relevant sources (for example, http://www.islamicacademy.org/html/Learn_Now/English/How_to_perform_Namaz.htm). So one HAS to make an effort to find the direction of the Qibla before offering prayers. This (basically north-east for the US) is fairly straightforward in the US since any random person is usually aware of the directions (and streets also tend to be aligned in specific directions).
    I think you’re misinterpreting the verse of surah Bakarah- well we don’t need to argue about who’s right in this case since scholars have consensus on this issue anyways. You’d used similar reasoning in a previous column which I’d ignored earlier but I had to write in this time.

4. Anwar says:
    August 20th, 2008 11:11 am

Good post. The last sentence sums it all up – the rest is hairsplitting that is highly discouraged in Islam.
    I encounter such situations while camping in the wilderness where we simply guess the direction and…

5. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    August 20th, 2008 11:17 am

@ what is the purpose of such confusion ?
    may be someone could add to my knowledge,
    there is no requirement, no indications, no obligations
    or even suggestions to ” fix” mm exactitude of Holy Kaaba’s
    direction, why this fuss ? hope you are not going to
    mention what Lt.Col.(Rtd) Faiz Ahmed (Faiz) of British
    Indian Army has to say on this subject !!!

6. August 20th, 2008 12:28 pm

Did you notice Mr. Khan didn’t talk about the Qibla direction at all but pointed you to two mathematical coordinate systems that work in 3-dimensions. What equations would you solve anyways?
    By the way: what happens if one adds a fourth dimension? Does the ‘rukh’ change? e.g. ‘time’, or as you suggest, an ‘interest in finding the exact Qibla’?

7. zia m says:
    August 20th, 2008 1:29 pm

The rest of the world is living in space age and we can’t find Qibla.
    No wonder we don’t have muslim astronauts they will have hard time praying.

8. Salman says:
    August 20th, 2008 1:30 pm

Very nice article, though I have a question to our visiting scholars here, how does one find the qibla from space or being in an airplane?

For those that have the iPhone, a new application is available for prayer times and determining the qibla.

9. Majnoo says:
    August 20th, 2008 1:39 pm

MQ,
    Nice article, I remember getting up on a cold morning (my first in the US) trying to determine which way was east. Very difficult in the falling snow :))
    Basit,
    You are correct in that ‘one HAS’ to make a good faith effort in trying to determine the right direction. But you also have to consider that sometimes it is not possible. (on a plane/bus/train/car, or in a room hotel/guest, at night etc. )
    What do you do then? sit sideways on your seat just because that is where east might be?
    I have observed that people pray in the direction they are sitting since the ‘mode of transportation’ changes direction.
    Also since the earth is round, if you are unaware of which direction to pray, you shoul duse your jugement.
    Allah knows what is in our hearts, it is always the actions and the intentions (in our hearts) that matter, not the intricate details etc.
    We (Muslims) are trapped in these ’1-1/2 eent ki masjids’ to prove that we are right and everyone else (muslims inlcuded) is wrong. That is the reason we are so fractured……
    my 5 cents, [ too long of a comment for 2 cents :))) ]

10. Salman says:
    August 20th, 2008 1:50 pm

@ Magnoo,

Very well said! We Muslims are way to trapped and do not realize of how simple it is to practice the faith. It is not just this Qibla issue but even more so our prayers. What is required we do not do, but we get caught-up in all the extra prayers. I am not saying that the extra prayers are wrong but lets fix the basics first. We have made the practice of Islam way too difficult for ourselves and that in itself is the problem.

11. PMA says:
    August 20th, 2008 2:33 pm

“I had dropped mathematics as a subject at the first available opportunity in college”

There lies your problem MQ. In this age of scientific discoveries you are stubbornly trying to practice your faith in a very unscientific way. Please get your Qibla right.

12. A. Jadoon says:
    August 20th, 2008 2:41 pm

Great post. Thanks.

Funniest comment yet is by Basit.

He says, finding right Qibla is “fard” (what’s fard, that means “person”, right… unless he meant “farz”). Anyhow, how does he know that… because he googled it … wah bhai wah…

Religion by google!! Actually, that is better than religion by mullah ;-)

Joking, guys, have a sense of humor!

13. Lal Salaam says:
    August 20th, 2008 3:16 pm

MQ Great article.
    A. Jadoon, LOL.
    As you may have noticed, muslims lack a sense of humor. They get all uptight and in a twist about little things in religion. I wish they would get in as much of a twist about the muslims killing muslims in FATA, and Darfur.
    As for me, when I pray, I roll out my mat and face in whichever direction. It makes absolutely not an iota of a difference to me where the qibla is. It is between me and my khuda (oops Allah… otherwise the “true”will get all twisted again :)).

14. Opee says:
    August 20th, 2008 4:48 pm

I now use http://www.qiblalocator.com – I find it very convinient as it draws a line on google map to give you idea which side you should face towards.

Secondly, yea, I remember my first night in Irvine, US back in 2001. I didn’t bring Jaye Namaz and I had used Hotel’s white Toliya (Towel) instead.

And after like 2 months of offering prayers, when later I came to know about the exact direction, I was praying at totally opposite! :)

Kher, yup – good old days. My comments may not be directly related to this post, but thought to share.

15. Musalmaan says:
    August 20th, 2008 5:34 pm

Opee sahib, you should go and say all those namaz again since the first one will not be accepted because it is in the wrong direction and therefore to false God. Ask Mr. Basit for guidance to “reliable” sources, or check on Google itself!

16. Aik aur musalmaan says:
    August 20th, 2008 7:00 pm

Bhai Musalmaan, let Allah do his job of counting which of Opee sahib’s prayers are correct. Better you don’t interfere with His jurisdiction.

17. Sajjad Junaidi says:
    August 20th, 2008 10:21 pm

Majnoo, totally agree with you. We are all lost in detail. I know people here in Australia who carry a compass everywhere with them. Once I told someone when asked about the direction of Qibla that “I THINK” its that way, pointing North West. That was a mistake, should not have said “I think”. I got a lecture on importance of Qibla’s direction. I have learned my lesson, now I just point to North West with confidence and don’t start my sentence with “I think” any more.

18. Abdul Hai says:
    August 20th, 2008 10:33 pm

Just a little correction. I was the one who sent the internet link. By the way, I live on the East Coast (Washington DC), and I am not a young Silicon Valley internet person. I am a good old civil engineer from UET.

19. Rehan says:
    August 20th, 2008 10:58 pm

I you care enough about something, you do get into details, and do try make it as close to perfect as possible. It depends on your ‘care’ level, or Ishq, some may call it faith too.

Lets try another similar problem: zabihah and non zabihah meat. Some of us would rather starve than eat non zabihah. Some among these starving people, do it without a logic. While some will research on the topic to the last opinion of a scholar before making a decision. On the other hand there will be people who make a decision otherwise.

If one zabihah eating person asks a non zabihah eater if a particular food is zabihah or not. The non zabihah eater does not know but since in his belief system everything is ok. says this is halal, and says so unconsciously. That is in a way borders unethical if not irresponsible.

However if he defends his action by justifying the superiority of his point of view over the other, that is blatantly wrong.

20. Mansoor says:
    August 21st, 2008 1:00 am

I am surprised at the extent of sarcasm in the comments wrt Qibla direction. Knowingly that I will get a lot of flak I must say that the ones who are showing sarcasm are the ones who probably do not care to offer prayers! I hope I am wrong.

Whereas one may offer prayer in any direction when the direction is not known, it is for Allah to accept his/her effort. But, when the means are there to determine the direction it should be used.

While we remain sarcastic of ourselves (i.e. Muslims), we must know that mathematics and geometry owe a lot to Muslims for its development. I am only apalled that others acknowledge it and we do not. IT MUST BE KNOWN THAT MUSLIMS IN FACT DEVELOPED SPHERICAL GEOMETRY IN THEIR QUEST TO FIND THE DIRECTION OF QIBLA ONCE THEY HAD SPREAD TO LANDS FAR OFF FROM MAKKAH. In that age it was the proverbial ‘rocket science’ for others.

21. Mansoor says:
    August 21st, 2008 1:15 am

There are many websites which calculate Qibla direction from a position/location. Beware, never use a two dimensional map to determine the direction yourselves. Just try doing it for, say, USA. Whereas it is actually about NE from the New York area, on a flat world map it will look like ESE or so.

As regards finding actual direction once the value is known (determined through a website) a compass would be invaluable. But then always carrying it is not possible. Get general direction with the help of a wrist watch. See it here (or on many other web addresses)
    for the procedure to do it.

22. Shazia R. Hussain says:
    August 21st, 2008 2:13 am

What’s happening in the comment section of this post is what’s wrong with the Muslim world today.

23. Sajjad Junaidi says:
    August 21st, 2008 2:36 am

Yes, Mansoor you are wrong.

24. iceCube says:
    August 21st, 2008 8:04 am

@Shazia R. Hussain
    Well said. I agree with you.

@Sajjad Junaidi
    Spot on.

25. Lal Salaam says:
    August 21st, 2008 8:45 am

Yes, Mansoor you are wrong (and judgemental).
    And I laughed out loud when I read the zabiha/halal/non-zabiha comment. No wonder the Muslims have not done anything substantial for the past few centuries, because we are stuck in this rut of qibla direction, halal/haram, hijab, sawaab and sharaab.
    As Iqbal said:
    ‘Yeh ummat khurafat mein kho gayee”

26. MQ says:
    August 21st, 2008 11:06 am

I must add an observation here that most of the messages that I received from Pakistan in response to the APPNA article looked, and laughed, at the lighter side of the article. The qibla advice came mostly from the Diaspora, particularly from North America.

Only social scientist can fully explain this phenomenon. But I have reached the following conclusion:

“In spiritual matters, the details one delves into is directly proportional to the distance one travels away from home.”

Perhaps a person with better mathematical skills than mine can put this observation into an empirical equation. Bilal Zuberi or PMA?

27. PMA says:
    August 21st, 2008 12:29 pm

It is elementary MQ, elementary. In order to convert ‘proportionality’ into an equation all you need is a ‘constant’. Stress and Strain; Energy and Mass; and Pressure, Volume and Temperature—-all are equated with one another by a constant. So:

If:
    Details is directly proportional to the distance.

Then:
    Details=Distance (c)

Find the ‘c’ and you are home.

28. zia m says:
    August 21st, 2008 12:40 pm

Mansoor,
    Make sure to have a compass ready when going to a public restroom,we don’t want to be facing Qibla when using a toilet.

29. Deeda-i-Beena says:
    August 21st, 2008 12:50 pm

PERSONALLY for me the question of the direction of Qibla got sorted out long time ago – 48 years to be precise – when I first left the country in an easterly direction to Thailand and Indonesia.
    Growing up we were always told to pray towards where the Sun sets i.e. the West. That sound advice went out of the window from where I was located. A process of inner-reflection (in the absence of the Internet) followed.
    Here is what I came to and have eversince maintained my peace of mind, in this matter.
    THE EXACT DIRECTION becomes relevant when we are physically Transporting our selves to Ka’aba on foot; by Camel,Horse or Donkey; riding a motorised vehicle or travelling by aeroplane,rocket or a spaceship. OTHERWISE we are bound to loose our way and end up some place other than the beloved Qibla.
    PRAYERS on the other hand are my Individual Act in which I am making an Intellectual Ra’abta with my creator. My mind’s focus is HIM and the Qibla Direction/Location is Academic.

MOREOVER, the issue of Exact Direction would be relevant if we accepted the Earth being Flat and NOT Round, not to forget that it also Rotates in the planetary system. That issue having been taken care of by Allah Himself some 1400 years ago in SURAH AL – REHMAN where it points towards the 2 Easts and the 2 Wests and making the locations Relative and Dynamic. By the Way, the Catholic Church officially acknowledged that the earth is Round only some 20 years ago, when late Pope John Paul lifted their “fatwa” and pronounced that Galelio was right.

As for the Ka’aba or Qibla though itself it is Cubical, People pray around it in a circle and are facing each other during the solemn act of worship. This circular congregation once again manifests that the earth is round.

So pray in any Direction to Allah and HE will always be there, and will fogive if you were not precise in your direction.
    HE is all knowledgeable and forgives.

30. Deeda-i-Beena says:
    August 21st, 2008 5:18 pm

So pray in any Direction to Allah not to Qibla and HE will always be there, and will fogive if you were not precise in your direction.
    HE is all knowledgeable and forgives.

31. Rehan says:
    August 21st, 2008 11:02 pm

I am sure the comments here are going to give MQ plenty of material to write further on. Looking forward to it.

32. Adnan says:
    August 22nd, 2008 10:47 am

Jadoon, Ironically our liberals like MQ , you and others get failed to find religion by Google too. *grin*

33. lida says:
    August 22nd, 2008 12:32 pm

For a Kaum that will indulge in moon fighting a few days from now. With that I mean When does Ramazan start and when does it End. When is Eid?? etc etc.

We love to Disagree. As we have it ..we hatefully disagree in everything!!!!

This Compass phenom is too sophisticated. ;)

We can’t agree on what is seen ( i.e moon) .
    HOW can we agree on Qibla because we can’t see it and its a matter of my Compass is more accurate than yours.

I saw months back a Arab guy criticizing a African American Imam giving khutbah that his accent does not qualify him to lead the prayers. I argued with him but he got mad at me and left.
    This religion is about the condition of our hearts and yet we focus on dari, pawnche ooper karo, Sar ki Topi, Don’t say Ameen Loudly, Women shouldn’t be allowed in masjid during Juma, Eid moon fighting etc etc.

Also …Due to limitation of Space we go to a Jewish Synagogue for Juma Prayers.
    The Question is would Muslims allow Jews or Christians to come to our masjids when we have a hard time alowwing Shia’s or Sunni’s to share the same masjid????

I seriously doubt that.

9-11 forced the muslims to be open and let other faiths see masjid and do interfaith dialogue. Seems like we opened up due to fear not because it was required of us to be open.

We have forgotten what Islam is !!!
    and mostly I and all of us need to re-analyze what Islam is???

lida

34. Fauzia says:
    August 22nd, 2008 4:57 pm

Good humor writing, but some comments are humorless :-)

35. AHsn says:
    August 24th, 2008 4:28 am

Dear Mast Qalandar (a.k.a. Aziz Akhmad)

As Fauzia said, your post is a

36. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    August 24th, 2008 4:46 am

@Ya Mast Qalandar,

hope you found your Qibla !! if you have,
    ” Durust kar lo ” !!
    Btw, your last reference of 2:177 is like this :

It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces
    Towards East or West ;
    But it is righteousness–
    To believe in God
    And the Last Day
    And The Angels
    And The Book
    And The Messengers ;
    To spend of your substances,
    out of love for Him,
    For your kin
    For Orphans,
    For the needy,
    For the wayfarer,
    For those who ask,
    And for the ransom of slaves ;
    To be steadfast in prayer,
    And practice regular charity ;
    To fulfil the contracts
    Which you have made ;
    And to be firm and patient,
    In pain (or suffering)
    And adversity,
    And throughout
    All periods of panic.
    Such are the people
    Of truth, the God-fearing.

The above translation carry all the punctuations to
    understand the inter-relations of all verbs, adverbs and
    adjectives etc. which is imperative and complimentary to
    details concerned for comprihension.
    (your positive remarks should be “after” the brackets
    (2:177) to which I have tried to list the details) .
    If you don’t mind !!

Rafay Kashmiri

37. MQ says:
    August 24th, 2008 11:29 am

AHsn,

All I can say to your long and well researched comment is that the reason I have stayed with ATP for 2 years now is NOT because it occasionally publishes my silly articles, but because of the commenters like yourself. I always learn something new from such comments.

And, by the way, I do not

38. Mahmoud says:
    August 26th, 2008 5:09 pm

Here

39. Naeem R Qazi says:
    February 21st, 2009 5:20 pm
  40. Sheharyar says:
    April 21st, 2009 9:36 pm

Every question has a right answer. That the author may not have the intelligent to understand the answer doesn’t make it wrong. Maybe the author reminisces about “simpler times” when he and his simpleton friends assumed that every mountain fell in the direction to the qibla, but that doesn’t make it right. I dropped mathematics many, many years ago, but still have enough sense to understand that spherical trigonometry (as described by the contributor from France) would answer the question and don’t dismiss the methodology or its proponent. Yes the direction in which one prays is not the paramount consideration, but praying in the direction of your neighbor’s jack-ass with the purest of intent isn’t right either. You still have to make an effort to discover the right direction, and assuming that your idiot-headed way of doing it is right because its the way you’ve always done it is not the right answer.

41. mahmut says:
    June 12th, 2009 6:15 pm

IKabe which shows the direction to kaaba is for free now. The Globe shows the path to Mekka. It includes three applikation in one. A Sun Kompas, a globe viewer and a distance tool. It is 100% developed from a muslim. You know, an attestor can only a beliver.

Here is the Link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=303864634&mt=8

42. ez says:
    August 26th, 2009 5:42 pm

Check out http://eshall.net/qibla
    It helps to visualize the prayer direction by pointing the center of the longitude lines on Mecca so that they represent continuous columns of people in prayer.

43. Salem says:
    September 4th, 2009 8:30 am

To get the exact Qibla of your place download Google Earth you can see the actual place and put a line from your place to Kaaba and you get the exact Qibla facing parallel to the line or path

44. Imran Khan says:
    May 29th, 2010 2:05 pm

Dear,
    please help me to find our Qibla Direction, I am from District bhimber Azad Kashmir Pakistan

45. Aslam says:
    July 18th, 2010 10:16 pm

Nice writeup.
    We are so busy figuring out the direction of the qibla that we have lost all direction of what this was meant to do for us.

46. January 28th, 2011 4:27 pm

Use Nova Softek Islamic Earth (http://novasoftek.com/IslamicEarth) to find accurate Qibla Direction as well as local prayer times anywhere on Earth. This website was the pioneer of satellite based Qibla direction on the net.