Who is Urooj Mumtaz Khan?

Posted on September 21, 2006
Filed Under >Adil Najam, People, Sports, Women

Do you even know who Urooj Mumtaz Khan is? I did not. I am glad I now do.

It turns out she is a part of the Pakistan’s women cricket team, and her century helped Pakistan beat Hong Kong by a whopping 172 runs in a one day game. This, in turn, means Pakistan women’s team will now play in the World Cup qualifying tournament to be held in Ireland in 2007. All of this, good news.

Here are some details from CricInfo:

Powered by an unbeaten 100 from Urooj Mumtaz, Pakistan trounced Hong Kong by 172 runs in the second ODI to win the three-match series. The series victory takes Pakistan through to the Women’s World Cup qualifying tournament in Ireland in 2007. Winning the toss for the second time Mumtaz had no hesitation in batting in bright sunny conditions on a decent batting surface. Hong Kong, needing to win the match to square the series, started promisingly with the ball. But, apart from Betty Chan who bowled her ten overs for just 41 runs, as with the first match, no other bowler really managed to maintain sufficient control. They were profligate, conceding 72 extras including 68 wides… In reply Hong Kong could only muster one decent partnership – Neisha Pratt (52) added 63 runs with Natasha Miles (32) – and were shot out for 116. Mumtaz was named player of the match… The final match of the series will be at the Gadaffi Stadium, Lahore on September 21. A crowd of up to 10,000 spectators is anticipated.

While we have been following the Pakistan Men’s team, Darrel Hair, and Inzimam and also about the elegance that was Wasim Raja, the news about women’s cricket seems to have slipped by. It deserves to be celebrated. The Pakistan women’s team is relatively new to the international circuit and is currently ranked at No. 10. But it seems to have come active recently. One wishes them well for the next match in Lahore, and then onwards to Ireland.

15 Comments on “Who is Urooj Mumtaz Khan?”

1. Samdani says:
    September 21st, 2006 3:42 pm

Nice pictures. I also did not know that they were doing so good. I think this is a very good sign of progress. I guess Musharraf should get some credit for encouraging women in sports.

2. September 21st, 2006 5:05 pm

Well to be honest – I know her personally ;) her father happens to be a well known dentist in Karachi and hence the link, Dr. Mumtaz Khan. and BTW she is also on the way to becoming a dentist.

Its about time that that people like her make Pakistan proud.

Well done Urooj !!!

3. September 21st, 2006 5:14 pm

If they can fly planes they can also hit the ball for six, I wonder what is impossible for Pakistani women :-). Europe needs to open its eyes and mind to see the talent of Pakistani women.

4. Mast Qalandar says:
    September 21st, 2006 5:55 pm

[quote comment="3026"] Europe needs to open its eyes and mind to see the talent of Pakistani women.[/quote]

Saadia,
    I don’t think Europe has any problem seeing Pakistani women’s talents. It’s our own people who are short sighted and close minded. I am sure you are aware of all those discriminatory laws and attitudes in Pakistan.

5. Daktar says:
    September 21st, 2006 6:45 pm

I had also not known about this. I think that if they were to do really well in a major competition, that would do wonders for all women’s sports, and that could have larger social impacts.

6. nuzhat aziz says:
    September 21st, 2006 7:03 pm

I am waiting with bated breath for some pearls from our ulema regarding women and cricket.

7. Altamash Mir says:
    September 22nd, 2006 1:53 am

wow..didnt know that the women’s cricket team was this good…

8. Desi in America says:
    September 23rd, 2006 7:48 pm

Great write-up on the Pakistan Women’s team. It is nice to see them finally get some media attention. We need to all encourage them and hopefully they will rise in the international ranks.

9. September 25th, 2006 4:07 am

No nation can rise to the height of glory unless your women are side by side with you. We are victims of evil customs. It is a crime against humanity that our women are shut up within the four walls of their houses as prisoners. There is no sanction anywhere for the deplorable conditions in which our women have to live. You should take your women along with you as comrades in every sphere of life.â€

10. basit says:
    August 30th, 2007 12:34 pm

If they can fly planes they can also hit the ball for six, I wonder what is impossible for Pakistani women :-). am waiting with bated breath for some pearls from our ulema regarding women and cricket.

11. NAILA ATTA BHATTI says:
    November 10th, 2007 5:48 am

HI I AM NAILA ATTA BHATTI FORM MULTAN I WANT I JOIN THE WOMEN CRICKET TEAM AS ALLROUNDER UROOJ BAJI IF U HELP ME I AM FORM MULTAN 14 YEARS OLD RIGTH ARM BOWLER LEFT HAND BAT MULTAN HAVE NOT A CRICKET CLUB FOR WOMEN SO PLASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE CREAT A CLUB FOR WOEM IN MULTAN
    THANX
    WISH U ALL THE BEST UROJ BAJI MY NAMBER IS 0300 6362807

12. Mir Nawaz says:
    April 29th, 2009 6:36 am

Urooj is very good captian she is doing very good job for Pakistani team,

13. February 7th, 2010 8:00 am

urooj r very good captain

14. February 7th, 2010 8:01 am

hello urooj i like you

15. February 8th, 2010 6:45 am

hi urooj baji hru i read in 8 class or main apni study complet kr k pakistan women cricket team join kron gi and i live in vehari and my age is 13 year or you are soooooo sweettttt and very good captian ok thanks buy