Go Green, Pakistan: Sabb Green Kar Do

Posted on August 1, 2009
Filed Under >Adil Najam, About ATP, Photo of the Day, Society

I do not know if others have noticed this yet or not, but I suspect (and hope) many of you soon might.

If you are on Twitter, and to a lesser extent on Facebook, and a Pakistani you might have noticed that over the last few hours more and more of your friends are ‘going green.’ At least in the design of their avatars (display picture).

I had noticed a similar display of national pride happening during the run-up to the T20 Final game (in fact, we had encouraged our Twitter and Facebook readers to join in). I knew that my friend and social networking guru Awab Alvi could not be far from the action behind this movement. Indeed, it seems he is. But from the best I can find (and I have only followed the Twitter chatter on the subject) the real force behind this one is a certain Farhan Masood, from Lahore, who has been urging his friends on Twitter and Facebook to turn their avatars (DPs) ‘green’ in the month of August during the build-up to August 14.

In fact, Farhan has been offering to make DPs and avatar’s for people with the Pakistan flag (most of the ones in the picture above seem to be from him) if they email him at GreenKaro@gmail.com. It turns out that word is spreading fast. Many have already converted to his avatars and many others have been changing to green avatars of their own. The idea is to turn the avatar (DP) panels green as we approach August 14. Hence, Sabb Green Kar Do!

We, here at ATP as well as on our Twitter and Facebook pages, do tend to use a lot of ‘green’ anyhow. Invariably, we end up using green even more than usual in August. (As someone who works on environmental issues, my allegiance to green is even broader than just that!). We realize, and are quite consciously careful, that this not turn into jingoistic nationalism. Pride in identity should never become arrogance. Nor should it ever detract us from pointing out and trying to change things that are wrong. More importantly, the pride in that which we are must never turn into disdain or disrespect for those whose identity may be different. I do not need to ‘hate’ anyone in order to ‘love’ Pakistan.

I believe – and hope – that all these avatars going green are going green in the same spirit as us. A spirit of inclusive national pride. And in that spirit I welcome the trend. I look forward to a green August 14. Not just in the color tonality of our avatars, but in our hearts and in our spirits!

Your Ad Here

P.S. I have pieced together the above from the public conversations available on Twitter. If the process of how this came about was different, I would love to hear about it. Would also love to find whether there are others also helping in the ‘Sabb Green Kar Do” Campaign, and how. Also, the avatars in the picture are all public ones on Twitter and one hopes that in the spirit of the campaign they are in, people will be OK with our use of them.

48 Comments on “Go Green, Pakistan: Sabb Green Kar Do

1. August 1st, 2009 10:54 pm

http://twitter.com/14aug for showcasing good, positive and successful stories from Pakistan and also sharing beautiful pictures of various parts of Pakistan.

2. August 1st, 2009 11:08 pm

nice and thank you for heads up :)

3. Gardezi says:
    August 2nd, 2009 1:47 am

What a nice initiative. And the sea of green avatars does look nice.

GO GREEN!!!!

4. August 2nd, 2009 2:35 am

Some comments from the ATP Facebook Page:

- “Jeevay Jeevay Mera Pakistan!”
    - “perfect, this is what i have been waiting for ;)”
    - “gooood morning Pakistan, jus goint 2 place the d.p”
    - “Good Morning Pakistan. Em GReen :)”
    - “i’m green :)”
    - “em enjoying being green :)”
    - “green is gorgeous………….”
    - “Green Pakistan… :)”
    - “PAKISTAN ZINDABAD.. i’m enjoying GREEN”

5. August 2nd, 2009 4:09 am

Well happy Independence Day to all a very good initiative

Go Green Facebook Pakistan!!!

6. Nikki says:
    August 2nd, 2009 4:16 am

Hahahah Im happy to see mine :D good that there are so many who are so happy to join in this drive and on 14th August InshAllah #Pakistan will be the top most topic on Twitter ;)

7. August 2nd, 2009 4:27 am

O yes – me green too. :)

8. awahid says:
    August 2nd, 2009 4:30 am

nicely said “I do not hate anyone in order to love Pakistan”, Patriotism does not mean that we hate other countries it means we love our country.

9. Kreativi says:
    August 2nd, 2009 4:59 am

It all started few days back by Farhan Masood. It really looks nice to see so many Green DPs. Atleast I can identify easily that how many Green Pakistani friends I have in my list.

10. Adeel says:
    August 2nd, 2009 6:45 am

Great idea. Jeevay jeevay Pakistan. Reminds me of the time just before Beijing Olympics. All my Chinese friends had a heart symbol {(l) for MSN Meesenger} followed by “China” before their display names on MSN Messenger.
    Let green be the new black… :)
    Pakistan Zindabad !!!

11. Waheed says:
    August 2nd, 2009 10:09 am

Great way to launch August 14 celebrations ATP.

One can always bank on Pakistaniat.com to bring out all our Pakistaniat in a good way.

And that you for the writeup.

“I do not have to hate anyone to love Pakistan.” ZINDABAD. YES.

But as you say, we must all show our Pakistaniat and love for Pakistan in all ways. Start with DPs and then we must do deeper and more menaingful thngs to show our love for Pakistan. Be better citizens and speak up for Pakistan.

12. adeel says:
    August 2nd, 2009 10:12 am

I’ve gone green (on my facebook)! :-)

13. August 2nd, 2009 10:16 am

More comments from the ATP Facebook Page:

- “Pakistan Zindabad…. I am GREEN….”
    - “long live Pakistan..:)”
    - “Pakistan Zindabad.Love Pakistan.”
    - “I Wish A Happy 14th of Aug,2009 to all PAKISTANI frendZ
    May Pakistan Live Long (AMIN)”
    - “Pakistan Zindabaad.”
    - “PAKISTAN ZINDABAD….. JIYE PAKISTAN”
    - “Pakistan zindabad, whatever people say, but Pakistan is here to be till Qayamat”
    - “PAKISTAN HAMARI JAAN… SUBSE PEHLE PAKISTAN…..”
    - “PAKISTAN ZINDABAD…..”
    - “IM PROUD TO B PAKISTANIIII!!!!”
    - “many people do not realize that Pakistan is a great blessing that Allah has bestowed on us……remember every blessing ignored becomes a curse…..and all those who believe that they can thrive in any foreigh country r living in a fools paradise…..they MAY thrive in any country as long as pakistan exists …..do not harm the tree which gives u shade and protection …respect it ,care for it….for this is yr true home “You steal away wealth from your own mother land
    And think it to be safe in some foreign hand
    How foolish you are to axe your own feet. And think you will be able to stand!!! LOVE PAKISTAN”
    - “Go Pakistan !!! Go Green !!!”

14. August 2nd, 2009 10:24 am

Thank you Adil Bhai for this post – its definitely going to be a very exciting 14 days till 14th August and I believe we need to evoke the national spirit amongst all Pakistanis specially in these days where most tend not to like being associated with Pakistan.

Farhan has done a remarkable job and as of last night he and a small team of volunteers had single handedly made over 2000 DP’s for Pakistanis on Facebook / Twitter and Orkut [heck everywhere] he and his team has done an outstanding job

At the same time there is another ongoing project which we are definitley going to work very hard on. In an attempt to show the world, and ourselves that unity is the key to success in any country – we are trying to rally hundreds and thousands of Pakistani to come on twitter and talk about Pakistan on the 14th of August – its called Project: #Pakistan

We intended to change the conversation of the world towards #Pakistan on twitter and feature ourselves as the most talked about topic [trending topic] for that day – Trending topic is a list of 10 most talked about topics for that moment and to be featured on the list requires hundreds and thousands of people talking about Pakistan.

To be listed – all people making the 140-charcter twitter comment need to include ‘#Pakistan‘ [without quotes] in their text and inshallah very soon we can bring Pakistan to the top of the list.

It is definitely merely an ego-boost but it will show us that unity can change the landscape of the world and inshallah we will do it on that day

Join Project: #Pakistan here by UzEE

15. August 2nd, 2009 12:37 pm

Adil, AoA. Indeed, I have been proud to support @FarhanMasood’s efforts & saluted his work.

Also delighted to see many non-Pakistani friends supporting the cause.

regards

Imran
    IMRAN.TV

16. Shiraz says:
    August 2nd, 2009 1:30 pm

Teeth Maestro,

Malcom Gladwell stated that three key groups of people are needed to create an epidemic:
    1. Connectors ; people who have very wide connections circle of influence
    2. Mavens; Subject Matter experts; who have deep knowledge of certain subject
    3. Salesmen: People who can simplify the message for masses in Pakistan and world.

Now we do have connectors…
    Thanks to facebook, twitter, flickr, digg, cell phones..any news can become viral..

So thanks for info..I have asked my Alumni of College of Telecom (NUST) to join the #Pakistan Project..

This is wonderful exercise and can be used in 2012 to impact elections..

17. Hassan says:
    August 2nd, 2009 4:27 pm

Hey,
    This is a great idea… Truly enthusiastic. I’m not in Pakistan but I felt the enthusiasm I used to feel for the build up of 14th August when we used to be young in the 90s. Anyways, to cut my comment short, I would love to help out with the creation of display pictures etc. I know lots and lots of people would be sending in photos for going green as it builds up like a fever. Please contact me through my facebook account (mentioned as the website).
    And again, who ever came up with this idea deserves a salute!
    Cheers.

18. Aliya says:
    August 2nd, 2009 7:09 pm

Yeh hoee na Pakistaniat!

Jeo ATP. Thank you for highlighting this and inspiring people to show pride in their country.

ALso, you are right, real pride is shown also by highlighting the things that we are doing wrong. This is why I love this site. You are clear in your love for Pakistan, but also clear in standing up against the things that are wrong, like the Gojra murders of Christians.

Let us stand for Pakistan always, in pride as well as in shame!

Thank you ATP. Pakistaniat zindabad.

19. Pakeezah says:
    August 2nd, 2009 8:49 pm

How can we put our picture?

20. August 2nd, 2009 11:40 pm

Thanks a million to ATP to appreciate our efforts. Go Green has found a home. Log on to http://www.pakiolgy.com/go-green and use the simple form to submit your requests.

So far we have done over 2500 Display Pictures GREEN and another 1000 pending in our mailbox. We have nearly a dozen designers now who volunteered their free time to work with us. If anyone desires to be a volunteer, please write to me directly at farhandotcom@gmail.com

If you want to support and help the cause on your own, you may download the PSD file from the go-green homepage. We dont need any credits back, yet it would be useful if you send us a daily report how many display pics were gone GREEN to keep up the statistics.

Thanks again for the overwhelming support.

Pakistan Zindabad !

21. roonham says:
    August 3rd, 2009 11:27 am

Great idea, i am planning on making my family all green too

22. August 3rd, 2009 8:37 pm

Yet more comments from the ATP Facebook Page (Where it also has 80+ ‘like’ thumbs up’):

- “Pakistan Zindabad :)”
    - “I’ve gone green.”
    - “ae watan pakk watann… ae mere pyare watan………..”
    - “meri hasti men an meri masti men shaoor……. I love Pakistan”
    - “Pakistan Zindabaad!”
    - “All Pakistanis on FB should put up a Pakistani Flag on their profiles to commemorate Independence Day 2009″
    - “I LUV MY PAK”
    - “Pakistan ha hamara”
    - “hEya!! I LOVE PAKISTAN”
    - “i did :D”

23. August 4th, 2009 4:08 pm

now my twitter profile is “Go Green, Pakistan: Sabb Green Kar Do” even my bird is green :)

24. ShahidnUSA says:
    August 5th, 2009 9:55 pm

Not to rain on anybodys parade but lets figure out where the biggest faults are. Atleast we all agree that “economy” plays a big role in peoples mind set and behavior. And we know we cannot lock up all the Mullahs.
    Once the mullahs get rich, they would think that Allah is happy with them and they would spread less “hate”(negative energy)
    and ” fear” (their favourite technique).

“The only thing you have to fear is fear itself” (Franklin Roosevelt)

Lets forget the foriegn exchange from the tourist for now.
    Lets make this country liveable for its own citizens.
    Lets make the “Textile industry” export, the best in the world.
    You may think you have the best talents and designers but sorry they are not of the level of international standard.

And you wonder why the dollar bills are green?
    Because they want to come to Pakistan.

25. Haroon says:
    August 6th, 2009 8:43 pm

Great initiative, ATP.

As always you keep our Pakistaniat alive.

I am seeing my facebook page green up. Slowly but surely.

26. August 8th, 2009 11:59 am

You guyz are missing URDU Pakistani community, I did it for you. I added a post at my blog.

27. August 8th, 2009 6:38 pm

Some new comments from the ATP Facebook Page:

- “hmm………its GREEN everywhere”
    - “I lile this”
    - “greeny all the way”
    - “how do i get my account green”
    - “how do i get my dp green”
    - “done”
    - “yaaaaayyyyyy!!! :) :)”
    - “my religion is pakistan”
    - “we need red to do it greeeeeeeeeen man we have to go faaaaaaaaar”
    - “yeah it should be”
    - “Done!”

28. Ikram says:
    August 8th, 2009 9:03 pm

Great work ATP. Like teh write p too. Let us never fail from pointing out what is wrong but let us never stop taking pride in green and wanting to make Pakistan better.

Pakistan zindabad.

29. Mustafa says:
    August 8th, 2009 11:01 pm

Excellent campaign. I have seen the DPs getting greener and greener and in new ways. I put a flag on mine today.

30. hasan says:
    August 11th, 2009 1:35 am

i also want my pi.with green flag how can i do it would u please do me also

31. Fawad Rafiq says:
    August 13th, 2009 1:08 am

Great Campaign ….
    Its remind me my childhood days, when we used to raise Green Flag above our homes and decorate all the home with green … Really nice to see GREEN facebook …

JASH-NE-AZADI Mubarik ho
    Pakistan Zindabad

Thanks to
    Mr. Farhan Masood & the Co-ordinators
    for their Love & Enthusiasm

32. August 13th, 2009 1:55 am

i also want my pic with green flag how can i do it ? would u please do me also plz . PROUD 2 B PAKISTANI …. PAKISTAN HAI TO HAM HAN PAKISTAN K BINA HAM KOCH BHI NHI

33. Muhammad Faheem says:
    August 13th, 2009 2:08 am

I love to joined this community.So plz let me know how can I joined your group. I want to be part of green Pakistan.
    Thats is Patriotic poem for of all of us. who loves there country.

The Tyrants
    The tyrants are on the loose again;
    They hate all but their own.
    They give their lives to kill us,
    To scatter our blood and bone.

They care not whom they murder,
    Whether woman, man or child;
    Their minds are full of fury;
    Their sickness has gone wild.

To rule the world with violence
    Is their one and only goal;
    Terror is their method;
    They want complete control.

We

34. August 13th, 2009 1:09 pm

I like the perspective you put around this campaign, Adil. Telecompk.net is also going green this time.

35. syeda says:
    August 14th, 2009 3:07 am

Happy Independence Day….

36. S.P.K. says:
    August 14th, 2009 10:05 am

PAKISTAN ZINDABAD

37. Originative says:
    August 14th, 2009 1:21 pm

Long Live Pakistan

38. August 14th, 2009 5:29 pm

yaar i love my country and i hate those who says that(PAKISTAN ne diya kia hai) koi ye to pooche ke tumne kia dia hai is ko mere to aik hisab hai NA BIJLY NA PANI PHIR BHI DIL HAI PAKISTANI

PAKISTAN ZINDABAD
    ALLAH IS KO SALAMAT RAKHE

39. sajjad says:
    August 15th, 2009 11:33 am

magar…unkee website ka link kiya…there are 30 odd links on one small article…thats overdoing it guys….important link milta hee nahin

40. August 15th, 2009 1:02 pm

Asalam o Alikum
    janab app ki ye mohim mujhe bht he zada pasand aae mai yehi chahta hoo k humre Pakistani youngsters mai hubul watni ka jazba hoo jo k wo duniya mai apne app ko present kar sake janab mai bhe kuch aisa he karna chahta hoo apne country k lye mai bhe is camping ka hisa hoo maine ek Cause bhe bane hai Facebook per Stay United Pakistan k nam se or mai Digital Media ka student hoo mere like koe bhe khidmat hoo top mujhe batai mai bade jazbe k sath usay anjam donga Pakistan Zindabad

41. Noman says:
    August 18th, 2009 10:08 am

kuhan click kurun Green honay k liay.?

42. MUHAMMAD KASHIF RANA says:
    September 20th, 2009 4:13 am

MUJY B GREEN SITE MA APNI PIC LAGANI HA KAHA LAGAO PLZ HEL PME

43. Muzamil Kashmiri says:
    November 11th, 2009 3:58 am

Pakistan Ki azmat ko mera salam, Allah Pakistan ko Hamesha Apne amaan mai rakhee (aameen) Pakistan Paindabad.

44. ayan says:
    November 26th, 2009 3:22 am

ASSALAM-O-ALIKUM
    Well done struggle….Exellent……I like tese wallpapers

>:”>:”>:”>:”>:”><:”:”:”>:”>:”>:”>:”><:”:”:”>:”>:”>:”>:”><:”:”<

45. Ali says:
    November 26th, 2009 3:25 am

“PROUD TO BE PAKISTANI
    >:”>:”>:”>:”>:”><:”:”<
    PAKISTAN ZINDABAD

46. December 5th, 2009 2:41 pm

Nice picture, I have also also updated my profile on facebook containing Pakistani Flag. I can identify my 6 friends in this poster.

47. Shamshair says:
    May 25th, 2010 4:46 am

Tumam Pakistani Bhiyon Ko Meri Taraf Say
    ASALAAM-O-ALAIKUM

Pakistan Zindabaad

Green Pakistan Paindabaad

48. September 29th, 2011 9:40 pm

Some time I write somethings on this Roshan Malik Sahib’s website. I am careless about my spelling mistakes because of load-shedding.

Any comments and suggestions are welcomed at ahmad.gharib@rocketmail.com.