Mera Pakistan, Meri Pakistaniat

Posted on August 14, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, >Bilal Zuberi, >Darwaish, >Owais Mughal, About ATP, Society

Owais Mughal, Adil Najam,
Bilal Zuberi and Darwaish

Giant Pakistan Flag-Story at Lahore MetroblogToday we celebrate the 60th Anniversary of Pakistan’s birth.

We could talk about what was promised of Pakistan. What has become of it. Or what should be done to improve it. But we try to do that at Pakistaniat (ATP) everyday. And we do realize that ..aah ko chahiyay ik umr asar honay tak.

Today we want to talk about Pakistan and Pakistaniat in a much more personal way. We realize that different people’s Pakistaniat can be expressed in very different ways. We share the same flag, but we each wave it in our very different ways. While we may not approve of putting Mickey Mouse or missiles or even Jinnah on the flag, around this time Pakistaniat becomes a very personal expression. One wants to celebrate every expression of Pakistaniat (except, maybe, putting missiles on the flag). It is in this individual ownership of the concept that the concept will derive whatever meaning it is to ultimately have. At the end of the day our Pakistaniat will be defined not by what the government says it should be, nor even by what the founders wanted it to be, but only by what we ourselves make it out to be.

Flags on sale in Pakistan-Story at Metroblog LahoreFlags on sale in Pakistan-Story at Metroblog Lahore

That, at least, has been our motivation here at Pakistaniat.com. This blog is named as it is named for a reason. Pakistaniat, for us, has never been an attempt to discover the one unified definition of Pakistani-ness that everyone must accept and adhere to. It is, instead, the celebration of the many many diverse ways in which different Pakistanis express their Pakistani-ness; their Pakistaniat. There is no single definition of Pakistaniat, nor a single way to express it. This is why this blog seeks to celebrate all the different dimensions of Pakistani-ness.

It is in this spirit that we offer this post. In continuation of our invitation from a year ago, we ask our readers to share the one thing – a song, an image, a verse, a thought, a quote, a person, anything – that represents their Pakistaniat for them. What is it that spells your hopes, your dreams, your aspirations for Pakistan? What is it that evokes and invokes your Pakistaniat?

Let us get the ball rolling by sharing our thoughts on this.

Adil Najam: Writing last year in a similar post, I had offered this verse from a milli naghma sung masterfully by Shahnaz Begum and written by (I think) Asad Muhammad Khan. I have, unfortunately, still not been able to find a recording of the song (but see Shahnaz Begum singing ‘Jeevay Jeevay Pakistan’ on the right hand columns). I think the sentiment is even more true this year – given the events of the last many months – than it was last year:

mauj baRhay kay aanDhi aa-aye, diya jala-aye rakhna hai
ghar ki khatir sau dukh jhailaiN, ghar tou aakir appna hai

Let me add one more thought for today. I heard this sheyr long ago on an August 14 Mushaira on PTV. I forget who the poet was (and realize that the inspiration might have been US President JFK) but the sentiment never fails to evoke my Pakistaniat. I think of this especially as I see this picture on the right; this should not have been.

jissay bhi daikhiaye gilla,
watan say yeh nahiN milla,
watan say woh nahiN milla

koee nahiN jo yeh keha,
‘watan ko tumm nay kiya diya,
watan ko meiN nay kiya diya’

Bilal Zuberi: For me – the one thing that I will always remember on 14th of August is how each year my entire family worked together to raise a large flag on our house in the evening of the 13th.

One 13th of August, many many years ago, our dad brought all of us kids together and told us a story. He told us how he was a young boy at the time of independence and how his mother stitched a Pakistani flag for him so he could go out and demonstrate with the Muslim League. He had proudly raised it at the demonstration despite being in a city that had seen its fair share of Hindu-Muslim riots. Then he continued on to teach us what the different colors and the chaand sitaara on the Pakistani flag represented. Finally my mom followed the tradition and stitched a large flag from green and white cloth for us kids to put up on our house. It was the largest flag at that time in our mohalla! and we proudly raised it on our house every year until I left for the US .

Even now we talk about it and what it meant for the entire family to raise the flag together. When I saw this picture, I felt it could almost be myself and my brother on our roof, trying to tie the flag to our TV antenna. Given what is going on in Pakistan, I almost feel I need to be back there again, to raise a giant green and white flag to show that nothing can bind us together more than our common nationality.

Darwaish: For me, the most exciting part of the 14th August is when I see little kids running around with their faces or head painted with Pakistani flag. All smiles and raising Pakistan Zindabad slogans. Kids running on the streets with flags, putting flags and ‘jhandiyaan‘ on their houses. They are our hope for better future and a prosperous Pakistan. For young and old, I think this 14th August “Great Responsibilities Lie Ahead” speech by Quaid. Listen to the speech, it has the magic formula of success. ‘Kaam Kaam aur sirf Kaam‘ is what we need today.

Owais Mughal: This song by Amanat Ali Khan (1932-1974) remains one of my favorite national songs. All that I want to say today is covered by the poetry of this song. I will let Amanat Ali Khan say it for me; he says it so much better!

Note: There is a wonderful richness of Pakistaniat spread across the Pakistani blogsphere – Blogistan. We feature just a sampling of this in the pictures included here. The picture of the giant flag leads to a post on the same at Metroblog Lahore. The four pictures of people selling flags are from a series of two posts, also at Metroblog Lahore. The picture of the barefoot kid selling flags is from Metroblog Islamabad. That of the two youth waving from a rooftop is of unknown origin. The sunset picture is at Flickr from Ali Khurshid, who we have featured here before. And, of course, the Amanat Ali Khan song is from YouTube.

102 Comments on “Mera Pakistan, Meri Pakistaniat”

1. Viqar Minai says:
    August 14th, 2007 12:22 am

Sohn dharti Allah rakkhE
    Qadam Qadm AbAd tujhe …

2. Haseeb says:
    August 14th, 2007 12:40 am

What a wonderful find this song by Amanat Ali Khan is. Such passion and beautiful words. Thanks for highlighting it today.

3. Daktar says:
    August 14th, 2007 12:46 am

Am just listening to the ‘Jeevay Pakistan’ song video you have at the top….

Jhail gaaye dukh jhailnay waalay, aab hai kaam humara!

4. Adnan Siddiqi says:
    August 14th, 2007 1:28 am

Today we celebrate the 60th Anniversary of Pakistan

or celebrating the killings of hundreds of Pakistan with an year which include both civilians and army men. Only some beghairat can celebrate and enjoy after the death of his closed ones. Pakistani courts are not celebrating this so called Independence day due to Lal masjid and other recent incidents on borders.

5. Ahmed2 says:
    August 14th, 2007 2:03 am

A moving post full of wisdom.
    It is interesting that AN referred to President Kennedy in his remarks. Here are the exact words:

“My fellow- Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. My felloow-citizens of the world: ask not what America can do for you but what together we can do for the freedom of man”.

Here is a thought worth pondering over from John Stuart Mill :

“The worth of a state in the long run is the worth of the individuals composing it.”

6. Shafique says:
    August 14th, 2007 2:17 am

Pakistaniat to me is the human spirit

7. SH KAVI says:
    August 14th, 2007 2:27 am

Shikayate-e-zulmat-e-sab se to kahiin behtar thaa.
    Apne hisse kii ko’ii shammaa jalaaate jaate.

Faraz.

8. SH KAVI says:
    August 14th, 2007 2:47 am

A,Sattar Edhi, Asma Jahangir, Abid Manto, Ansar Burni and so many others, are the embodiment of my kind of Pakistaniat.

9. August 14th, 2007 2:56 am

Our country is though den of fraudias, looters and culprits, it is our motherland. In the morning at Gulbai bridge, i saw a Child was holding a flag and very much excited….riding on motorcycle

May be coming generation will be more honest and sincere!!!

Wish the same may be true!

10. August 14th, 2007 3:58 am

Azaadi mubarak to all, its a day to celebrate for one and all. My greatest source of national pride are our forefathers who sacrificied everything to create this second Madina. The new Pakistan at 60 will inshallah prosper if we all work together, see how at http://www.otherpakistan.org/today2.html.

Pakistan Zindabad

Wasim

P.S – Adnan bhai I can understand your sentiments and sadness at the loss of life this year but this day is about hope, we live a life of despair for 364/5 days a year as Pakistanis, we deserve one day to dream a little, Adnan bhai zindabad!

11. Ibrahim says:
    August 14th, 2007 4:10 am

Salamalikum,

…we ask our readers to share the one thing – a song, an image, a verse, a thought, a quote, a person, anything – that represents their Pakistaniat for them.

[Pakistan ka matlab kiya
    La ilaha illAllah]

Please think and avoid israaf by not celeberating Independence Day….no need to ‘celeberate’ with so many tragedies (floods, may 12, lal masjid, others, border problems) still quite fresh.

12. Sohaib says:
    August 14th, 2007 5:00 am

Mr.Adnan Siddiqui is very right. The last one year has been a very tough one for the country, and we should take time out to reflect on the many tragedies that have befallen us, or that we have created ourselves. This year, more than ever, should be about serious introspection and consideration on our future direction, rather than boasty and fluffy celebrations. Or will some things never change?

On a side note, let me clarify the picture of unknown origin of the 2 youth holding the flag on the rooftop. I’m very proud to say that these two are Emad Nadim and Kurt Archer, two close friends and very proud Pakistanis (one by birth, other by choice), and the rooftop belongs to an apartment on Zamzama boulevard in Karachi. The picture is from 14 Aug last year. *beaming* :)

13. August 14th, 2007 5:51 am

Jinnah’s Pakistan never happened, whether it was a secular one or an Islamic state. We never had independence from the forces we stood to fight against, we only had a separation from greater India. I am desperate to celebrate our Independence Day one day but it is not today. Today is a day of separation, a movement, ”half-baked’ just like our Pakistan studies curriculum.

ts about time that the concept that Pakistan has practiced retires, its 60 years now, its time that we hang up all our dirty boots and call it a day. Its time for a new Pakistan to take her place. Its time to accomplish the movement left halfway. Its time to achieve independence.

14. Sohaib says:
    August 14th, 2007 6:04 am

On a side note, my most endearing memory of 14 August is the night before, when my dad used to take me to see the lights on The Mall in Lahore, where every building was lit up and because of the traffic jam we parked our car at the start and walked all the way. It was the coolest thing. :D

15. Ather Mughal says:
    August 14th, 2007 7:38 am

“Pakistan Qayamat Tak Qaim Rehney Key Liyeh Bana Hey.”

May Allah bless our country and its nation from evils and Pakistan Military League

16. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    August 14th, 2007 8:16 am

“Ask not what your country can do for you……….ask what you can do for your country”.

I read these lines when I was a child. These lines have stayed with me for ever. We have high hopes and expectations from our country. That must be the case. But we must also ask ourselves: “What have we done for our country and its people lately”. Pakistan is blessed with beautiful land and hard working people. I say to myself and to my fellow countrymen, particularly those who have made success of themselves. Let us pledge on this solemn occasion that we will do what ever we can to help uplift the lives of our needy and less fortunate brothers and sisters in our fatherland. Those who are disillusioned and disheartened I Quote Dr. Iqbal.

“Pewasta reh shajar sey, ommed-e-hahar rakh”

In nations’ lives nothing comes easy. Neither freedom nor prosperity. Our forefathers got us the freedom through their hard work and sacrifices. Now it is our turn to make our beloved homeland a prosperous land, not for few but for all. God bless Pakistan. Pakistan Paindabad.

17. Asma says:
    August 14th, 2007 8:36 am

In quaid’s words …. “Musalman Museebat may ghabraya nahii’ karta”

We should not let the positivity in us die … it’s high time we use the positivity to the best extent we can … correcting ourselves can be a step forward … step to correct the nation … and hence our beloved Homeland…!

18. okha_jatt says:
    August 14th, 2007 8:43 am

Khuda karay kay meri arz-e-Pak per utray
    Woh fasl-e-gul, jisay andesha-e-zawal na ho
    Khuda karay, meray kisi bhi humwatan kay liyay
    Hayat bojh na ho, zindagi wabaal na ho

19. Suleman says:
    August 14th, 2007 9:00 am

Happy 60Th Independence Day

I share with jazba Junoon’s song on this occassion.

20. August 14th, 2007 9:02 am

Great Post ,

I do share some of those thoughts by Bilal Zuberi . We used to decorate our Street with Jhandian and then would have debate competitions, national song competitions.

On 14th August morning, we were glued to the TV watching the ceremony of changing of guards at the Quaid’s Mazaar. It was the same thing every year but I don’t know why we would always used to see this.

I do remember that the whole flag hoisting ceremony in front of the Parliament House or in Presidency (during General Zia’s time). Sohail Rana and his crew of talented singers were always the other required participants besides the President and the PM.

I would quote Mr.Jamiluddin Aali’s poem.

Khuda ki khaas naimat hai buzrgon ki inayat hai
    Kai nasloon ki Qurbani, kai nasloon ki mehnat hai

Nigah Quaid ki hai , Iqbal ka Ilham Pakistan
    Pakistan Pakistan mera Inam Pakistan

Here is my favourite video for Pakistan during these times:

21. Anwar says:
    August 14th, 2007 9:04 am

When one of my friends here asked me why Pakistanis being of same faith are killing each other and whether or not there was any hope I reminded him of the Civil War…. It is a matter of learning from experiences and moving on. During the early part of the last century, Europe was even worst than what we witness in Pakistan. But we are slow at learning.
    I am optimistic because from what ever I read, it appears information/communication revolution (through internet in particular) has finally created a more credible social awareness in PK. We are approaching a critical mass that will usher a positive change.
    And yes my favorite is the Amanat Ali’s “Aye watan pyare watan..”
    Best wishes to the country and the countrymen.

22. asa says:
    August 14th, 2007 9:40 am

60 years after so called “independence”, Pakistan is still ruled by proxy by the likes of Mushy and his predecessors Bhutto and Sharif. The only thing Britain did was to pyhsically leave subcontinent, but they remained in control. Today, America controls Pakistan, and the political battle is drawn between those who support Britain or those who support America. It is the people of Pakistan that have no say, no voice, no representation.

23. August 14th, 2007 9:43 am

Well I hate to see the flag hoisting ceremony being done in the Convention center. I guess we were more used to the “Open Air” ceremonies.

This in itself manifests how much Azaadi we have rightnow :)

August 14th, 2007 9:51 am

A short video of Aug 14th celebrations at Computers and Information Systems (CIS) dept of jamia NED Karachi here.

25. Shehzad Ahmed Mir says:
    August 14th, 2007 9:51 am

PAKISTAN is me. PAKISTAN is my children. PAKISTAN is what I represent all around. I will resist any attempt against it and will defend my country until the day I die.

JEETAY RAHO PAKISTAN! TUMHARI WAJAH SAY HUM HAIN AUR RAHEN GAY!

26. sidhas says:
    August 14th, 2007 10:01 am

It is a beautiful country. May God preserve its integrity and our freedom.

“Sohni dharti allah rakhay qadam qadam abad tujhay”

27. aac says:
    August 14th, 2007 10:43 am

v r all blessed that v r living in a country which is 100% ours; even to the point that v can do whatever destruction v intend 2 do no one asks what u r doing.

when i think that what would have been if there as no pakistan, i start panicking, getting this clautrophobic feeling that I can’t even describe.

whatever the good, bad or worse things/metters/events v have in our country, at least its OUR OWN. v r the only ones to make it better or worse.

28. Amra says:
    August 14th, 2007 10:53 am

Happy Independance day to everyone. This year I feel unusually patriotic and even a little optimistic. With all the depressing news and events lately, we need to look forward with hope. If each Pakistani lives up to the highest expectations that the founders of our nation had of us, than we will be a great nation. It’s within our grasp and the collective responsibility of us all. Always remember wherever you are, you are a representative of your nation. Let that thought make you all a shining example. God bless Pakistan and all it’s people. Pakistan Zindabad!

29. Daktar says:
    August 14th, 2007 10:54 am

Pakistaniat today is also the ZARF of the ATP team. Adnan Siddique calls all of them ‘beghairat’ and they ignore and smile it off. I wish other Pakistanis could also acquire the grace and ability to be calm in the face of blatant provocation!

30. Daktar says:
    August 14th, 2007 10:57 am

Sorry for multiple comments. Just a thought.
    The best symbol of Pakistaniat this year, I think, is a black lawyers coat. They have made us all proud.

31. sheepoo says:
    August 14th, 2007 11:01 am

“Muhabbat Amn hai or is ka hai paighaam Pakistan” sung by NFAK. Listen at

Pakistan Zindabad

32. Vivek says:
    August 14th, 2007 11:03 am

Hi guys!

Happy Independence day to you!

Wish you a bright and prosperous future.

Vivek,
    India.

33. Deeda-i-Beena says:
    August 14th, 2007 11:04 am

THE FLAG – some memories and thoughts
    The midnight of August 13, 1947 I had my first Pakistan flag hoisted at the highest point in my house inside Lahore’s walled city. It was lovingly made by our mother under the guidance of my elder brother, five years senior to me at 16.
    Even at my young age I was not oblivious of what was happening all around as Pakistan was coming into being. The daily mixed men-women processions, had a very large representation of Muslim women led by the likes of Begum Shahnawaz, Begum Salma Tassaduq Hussain, Baji Shamim would court arrest and would be dropped outside the city to find their way home, mostly walking.
    The slogans rampant at those processions and the ensuing JALSSAS, were “Lay Keye Rahengay Pakistan” and “Ban Kay Rahegaa Pakistan.” Never did we hear the slogan: “Pakistan ka Matlab kya……………………..” I recall that it was a later day innovation. Think.
    People, mostly children would make their own flags each Independence day. Later on enterprising people started printing paper flags in all colours no just The Green, that could be strung on thin rope. It was always a painful experience to see them the next day all over the place and being trampled upon.
    In no time the flag owned by the people and representing the nation became the symbol of HAKOOMAT or the Rulers. Other than the Independence Day, it cannot be displayed by the AWAM. Government Offices, high functionaries, Ministers etc., have the right to its display.
    By the way who is/are the Awam? Am I and you who can read this language are also Awam? OR is it a class lesser than us?
    Believe me those are the people we refer to as AWAM that you see lined up for hours at the polling stations promoting the cause of Democracy that the like of us only talk about. Think.

34. D_a_n says:
    August 14th, 2007 11:04 am

…..I for one take due umbrage at being called ‘baighairat’ by Adnan Siddiqui…..
    …..I do believe that Adnan Siddiqui has no quantifiable way of knowing just how much Ghairat resides within me…so I would draw the conclusion that Adnan Siddiqui hardly ever knows what he’s talking about anymore…not that he did so in his previous litany of spewage…

On a side note…Mullah’s message of Azadi Mubarak turned up in the form of headless corpse of a brave Pakistani Soldier in the tribal area…apparently one of 16 such jawans kidnapped….
    My dear Adnan….I do believe this was the ‘ghairatmand’ celebration that you feel fit for our sorry dominion….
    depart dear jawan on the wings of Angels…
    you will enjoy more ghairat than Adnan Siddiqui ever will…
    Rab Rakhaa..!

35. Ibrahim says:
    August 14th, 2007 11:29 am

Salamalikum,

Janab ‘Deeda-i-Beena’ sahib, you will have more information than me on the events of partition because you were there, and I was born much later. But, I disagree with you on the issue of the slogan you mentioned was a later day innovation.

My daadi had once narrated to me a story that she was asleep and heard loud rumblings outside in the streets which woke her up in the afternoon. Apparently, there was some Muslim-Hindu unrest and Muslims were protesting. What my daadi woke up to hear was loud chanting of the slogan of ‘Pakistan ka matlab kiya….’ by men in the streets (I’ve done my best to recall the story). Of course, this was pre-partition. So, I don’t think your contention that it was a later day innovation (post-partition if this is what you meant) is correct.

Now, this was in northern India, and you narrated events in Lahore. But, I doubt that this slogan wasn’t used in Lahore as well. Why? For one, the slogan was taken from a poem of Dr. Asghar Saudai who was from Sialkot—not too far from Lahore. If this slogan was used in northern India, I think it is safe to assume it had been used in Lahore as well.

And, the poem of Dr. Saudai was written pre-partition. Here is a short story on Dr. Saudai and his ‘slogan’ in today’s Dawn online: http://www.dawn.com/2007/08/14/nat17.htm Here is the relevant part of the story:

Speaking exclusively to Dawn, the octogenarian Prof Asghar Saudai said he wrote a poem titled

36. D_a_n says:
    August 14th, 2007 11:32 am

…This is probably the only song that gives me shivers everytime I hear it…

and this is what my Pakistaniat sounds like….this is what represents my Pakistaniat…..Noor Jehans Aiy Watan Kay Sajeelay…..its says so much…
    but mostly…to me it speaks os such promise…but is heavy with sadness of what we could be…what we might have been…
    you all might not share this perception as this song is mostly related to the war of 65….
    …it just carries within it a fatefulness……or that fatefulness is only felt in hindsight…
    but it makes me smile too….makes me feel hopeful..if even for the 3 and a half minutes of the song…

a link for all to enjoy..

Azadi Mubarak to all…

37. Fazeel says:
    August 14th, 2007 11:32 am

Happy Independence Day to every one.

Main bhi Pakistan hoon tu bhi Pakistan hai

still remember me and my brother used to hoist Pakistani flag in hour house. Now my newphews and neices hoist the flag and decorate our home.

38. Razi says:
    August 14th, 2007 11:35 am

As Habib Wali Mohammad so beautifully sang in this Milli Naghma:

39. August 14th, 2007 11:46 am

Pakistaniat is something that we display everyday … by visiting this aazaad blog or by representing our country where ever we go. Its heartening to read this aazaadi special entry ; to be able to comment on it and celebrate it is a true blessing. I would like to share a video that i made for our university’s PSA Nite…. here it goes, http://www.dailymotion.com/video/4630241

Jibran Ilyas
    Pakistan Zindabad

40. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    August 14th, 2007 12:21 pm

Those who have been to Istanbul most likely know about Galata Tower. It is a tower of historical significance but now its top floor is used as an expensive restaurant offering a dinner show. A nationally well known singer was serenading the guests. He came over to our table and ask me about my nationality. Hearing my answer his faced gleamed with joy and he broke into the well known Pakistani song: Jevey Jevey Pakistan. Soon the crowd joined in and I had no choice but to stand up and take a bow. It made me feel so good to be Pakistani in a brotherly country. Turks have tremendous love for Pakistan.

41. zakoota says:
    August 14th, 2007 1:42 pm

Happy Independence Day to all.

May Allah give Pakistan sincere, wise and courageous leadership. Ameen

42. zakoota says:
    August 14th, 2007 1:52 pm

Adnan Siddiqui is absolutely right. Although its our 60th Independence but I guess the hearts of all loyal Pakistanis are filled with sorrow because of all the tragedies which have taken place recently and before. Self Centered Musharaf has given nothing but problems to our beloved nation.

August 14th, 2007 2:01 pm

A Photo of two girls painted in a Pakistani flag and an Indian flag to celebrate the independence day. Photo is from Ahmedabad India and can be seen here

44. Roshan says:
    August 14th, 2007 2:18 pm

My childhood memories when student unions were fading away from the educational institutes as most of them got involved into violence rather than political discourse.
    But one of my favorite slogan/motto from one of the students union was ‘Mera Paigham Muhabat hai; Jahan Tak Puhanchay’. I think on this sixth decade of our INDEPENDENCE we need to promote this message to eliminate hate and violence.

45. Khurram says:
    August 14th, 2007 2:36 pm

On a side note, I always thought that “Pakistaniat” was pronounced like “Islamiyat”, meaning the study of Pakistan. Apparently I was incorrect, and the correct pronunciation is like “kaifyat” … the state of being Pakistani.

46. Anwer says:
    August 14th, 2007 2:52 pm

masjid mein naa mandir naa kharabaat mein koi
    hum kis kee amaanat mein gham-e-kar-e-jahan dein

shaa-ed koi un mein say kafan phar key nikley
    ab ja-ein sha-heedon key ma-zaaron peh azan dein

47. Shaji says:
    August 14th, 2007 3:41 pm

I don’t know any ahsa’ar to amuse you guys, no quotations from famous people, all I have is one question…

What are we celebrating?

In all honesty, the only way I can answer that question is by silence. Maybe even shame.

We can talk about all the things we have done, all the land we have to be proud of, all the passion… the people. But then that’s all we do, Talk.

How many of you voted “No” for Musharraf when he came to power? I did.

How many of you actually get out of the comfort of your chair and protest against the Nukes which the Mulla wants so badly now? I do.

How many of you actually took part in the last elections, never mind the fact that there was no single deserving candidate? I did. You don’t have the right to complain if you don’t vote. Not voting is not an option.

How many of you took to the streets to protest the American Invasion of Iraq? I did.

Tell me your story, one you actually did that didn’t make ANY difference whatsoever but you did it anyway because it felt right! That’s Pakistaniat to me.

48. Dewana Aik says:
    August 14th, 2007 3:42 pm

Ibrahim/Deeda-i-Beena: Was this “Pakistan ka matlab kiya….” slogan officially adopted by Muslim League? To me this is the more important question than if any odd person used it during the campaign.

Secondly, what does a slogan meant to win election do for us now, post-partition? For instance what does

August 14th, 2007 3:53 pm

Shaji Saheb. We are celebrating all those things that you did and we couldn’t.

50. Fawad says:
    August 14th, 2007 4:04 pm

Happy independence day to all Pakistanis. On this 60th anniversary of freedom I would like to honor those noble Pakistanis, past and present, whose commitment to ideals and high principles did not waver in the face of incredible odds. Even as they were surrounded by a rogue’s gallery of dishonorable, corrupt and conniving military, religious, bureaucratic, political, business and judicial “elite”, they upheld their honor and dignity at enormous personal sacrifice to always do the right thing. They have been the beacons of light for a country that has, sadly, not been blessed with enough of them in positions of power.
    Pakistaniat finds its highest expression in people like Abdus Sattar Edhi, Asma Jahangir, Akhtar Hameed Khan, Ansar Burney, Chaudhry Mohammad Ali, Fakhruddin G Ebrahim, Dr Abdus Salaam, Pervez Hoodbhoy, Eqbal Ahmed, Habib Jalib, Justice Kayani, Justice Chaudhry, I.A Rehman etc.

I would also sincerely like to thank the ATP team for performing a great service in illuminating the many forgotten facets of Pakistaniat and continuously nurturing this concept by enabling an open forum for dialogue amongst Pakistanis of many different backgrounds and points of view. Bravo!!!

51. Ali Zain says:
    August 14th, 2007 4:26 pm

Pop Patriotism

Do we really need this? seriously, this is the kind of wishy-washy, pathetic and superfluous patriotism that was generated so effectively in the 80s during the reign of Zia-ul-Haq. The state used all its tools to brain-wash and numb the public, that they were living in the most prosperous period of Pakistan, that everything is perfect in our land of pure under Mard-e-Momin’s rule of Nizam-e-Mustafa. How the state television was used as a propaganda machine which surely would have made the likes of Joseph Goebbels embarrass. Ever since it has see become part of our Pakistan psyche, every 14 August we have to come up this sort of gibberish to reassure ourselves that we ‘indeed’ do love our country.

We really don’t need this, we have to stop deluding ourselves, we have to stop glorifying, and what are we glorifying anyway? What have we achieved, why are we putting up lights? Who are we singing praises for? I know there will be a strong reaction to my post, but let me tell you, this is all mind-numbing, self-deluded, a sickeningly rosy route to escapism. This is nothing but Zia’s legacy.

52. August 14th, 2007 5:13 pm

All I wanna say is:

Aao Aao Aao, Sooji Ka Halwa Khou

TEE-M (Tariq)

53. LeftyProf says:
    August 14th, 2007 5:33 pm

“I know there will be a strong reaction to my post, but let me tell you, this is all mind-numbing, self-deluded, a sickeningly rosy route to escapism.”

Ali Zain: Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, we have our own version of mind-numbing, self-deluded, routes to escapism on the Indian side of the border. And so we carry on, don’t we? Shouting pop patriotic slogans in a self-congratulatory manner, when in fact, for the vast majority of people in both countries, there is so little to celebrate.

Don’t get me wrong–I am as glad as the most ardent flag-waver out there that we were able to kick out the British and become republics in our own right. But beyond that, it isn’t exactly a story of joy and bliss….

August 14th, 2007 5:39 pm

Today, a friend of mine pointed it out at another forum that one thing to celebrate at this independence day is the almost free education that Pakistan provided us in public universities. Even books were loaned from a ‘book bank’. If that was not enough Govt also provided interest free loans called ‘qarza-e-Hasana’. It means if you were good enough to enter a Public University, Govt actually paid you to become a graduate. For good or bad, the education imparted at Pakistani public institutes + individial telent is good enough to make Pakistani graduates compete at international level. This is worth celebrating. Compare this to the cost of engineering/medical education in developed countries.

55. Shaji says:
    August 14th, 2007 5:40 pm

Lemme think… what should be the most important thing WE have achieved so far…..

1. We have Da Bomb… We use it as a deterrent against the enemies of the state. We don’t know what terrible damage it can do, all we know is that we have Da Bomb. We talk about ourselves proudly as the only Muslim nation to have a nuke when the rest of the world abhors the use of such weapons. We’re willing to arm the rest of the Islamic world with such power, for a fee of course, to ensure that the Islamic brotherhood remains protected with weapons of mass destruction. How ironic is that!

2. We got the Nobel Prize… Ok so we disowned the guy for being an Ahmedi but we still take credit for that. After all the prize was awarded to an individual who AT THAT TIME was a Pakistani national. Trivial issue.

3. Well you can say we have been World Champions in four different sports. And that all at the same time… no mean feat I must say.

4. We have the 2nd tallest mountain in the world! But we haven’t ACHIEVED that… that’s just God-given. We do thank Him for that.

What else? Lemme search Google and get back to you on this one.

56. Kruman says:
    August 14th, 2007 6:44 pm

Happy independence day greetings to all of my compatriots!

Let’s take a few minutes to ponder over the the following message by Quaid who had an ability to see things ahead of time. His following address has never been so pertinent as it is today:

57. Adnan Ahmad says:
    August 14th, 2007 7:22 pm

khaab mein bhi tujhe bhooloo’n to rawa rukh mujh se
    wo ruwwuyyaa jo hava ka khus-o-khaashaak se he

bukht se koee shikayat he na aflaak se he
    yehi kia kum he ke nisbut mujhe iss khaak se he

bazm-e-anjum mein qaba khaak kee pehni meinay
    aur meri saari fazeelat issi poshaak se he

Parveen Shakir

58. Adnan Ahmad says:
    August 14th, 2007 7:33 pm

Owais, This song has been a romance of my life. Many overlook amanat ali on technical grounds but he takes me to another world.

meri hasti mein ana he
    meri masti mein sha’oor
    janfizaa mera tukhuyyal he to
    sheeree’n he sukhan

59. Ali Zain says:
    August 14th, 2007 8:01 pm

Owais,

Even if you are right about this (which my experience and a bit of research suggests otherwise) should we celebrate this fact? I mean isn’t it our right to have education which people can afford? isn’t it the duty of the government to make sure it provides this to its people? Because this is the basic contract between the government and the people and thats why they are formed in the first place.

I would celebrate if we built the fastest train or alternate low-cost fuel, or had decoded the human genome.

60. Saad says:
    August 14th, 2007 9:39 pm

It’s a wonder, what we’ve managed to achieve so far considering the little we started off with. I wish Pakistan and us (Pakistanis) all the best for the future.

Pakistan Paindabad!

61. izaz haque says:
    August 14th, 2007 10:15 pm
  62. zakoota says:
    August 15th, 2007 12:33 am

Fawad and an another friend: Please take Asma Jahangir out of the list, a morally corrupt, anti-Islam, anti-Pakistan and pro-indian person like her doesn’t fit anywhere. Even a person like Musharaf called her a traitor.

63. Dewana Aik says:
    August 15th, 2007 1:14 am

Zakoota, you have any proof on Asma Jahangheer to backup your accusations?

64. Sayed Zeeshan says:
    August 15th, 2007 1:33 am

Come on folks! Its just 60 years after independence. We need to be hopeful as I see better times coming.

65. Shaji says:
    August 15th, 2007 4:57 am

It’s ok to be hopeful, but it would be criminal of us to not be critical of ourselves.

I had decided to search for something we have managed to achieve so far in the last 60 years and if we go by any international standard, I can’t add anything worthwhile to my previous list.

I couldn’t sleep last night, as I couldn’t think of anything!!!

Right now this celebration feels just like a birthday party. Pop balloons, eat the cake, give presents, take pictures of happy moments, then go back home to our sorry lives.

66. Marya says:
    August 15th, 2007 6:27 am

Chalo mila k qadam qadam se
    khayal rakhna!
    :) matlab unity!! not only on the 14th of august but everyday

67. D_a_n says:
    August 15th, 2007 8:04 am

@ Sayed Zeeshan…

While I too like the sound of Optimism…..but!
    pray tell just how in the world do you see ‘Haalaat’ improving……?

I would apprecite it if you can classify your assessment in short term and long term …

68. zakoota says:
    August 15th, 2007 5:45 pm

Dewana Aik, I dont have the recordings of that press conference where Mushy called her such, but I do remember that it was after Asma Jehangir’s visit to India where she passed comments against the creation of Pakistan. I’m sure everything will be on records. :)

69. Dewana Aik says:
    August 15th, 2007 6:55 pm

Zakoota, if you believe Musharaf, you’ll believe anything…that was my point.

We need a more credible source than the divine words uttered by his holiness Musharaf.

70. Adonis says:
    August 16th, 2007 3:56 am

As for Pakistaniat, one of its best manifestations was how the whole nation responded to the plight of earthquake affectees in 2005.

71. dawa-i-dil says:
    August 16th, 2007 6:05 am

We as Pakistanis not need cyber patriots…but true patriots who are willing to serve country instead of West…thast the true spirit of patriotism..that rather giving our skills to Masters..we exercise it for our own 160 millions people..no doubt..go and have higher education there…but after that..return to PAkistan ..to pay back the debt of soil….

72. Kamran says:
    August 17th, 2007 12:56 am

I like the way you put this. Pakistan is what we will make of it not what founders wanted it to be. Its time we start taking that responsibility ourselves.

73. Aslam A. says:
    August 17th, 2007 1:20 am

Acha hai ya burra hai, yeh he humara sabb kuch hai!

74. Fauzia says:
    August 17th, 2007 4:33 am

Great site. Thanks

75. Pakistani says:
    August 17th, 2007 10:06 pm

Yes you are right, Pakistan is what we are.

76. August 21st, 2007 10:39 pm

Pakistan is a beautifull Country. jeway jeway Pakistan. Pakistan Zindabad.

AKBAR SHAH WELCOMES TO ALL
    sir,
    Your website is so informative in the net that helps hundreds and thousands of people. I have no word to express my gratitude to you. I wish you and your website more and more success in the future. Carry on this job. Here I want to share the all
    visitors that I have also my personal website which you can check out by clicking following links:

S. Ali Akbar Shah (Karachi Pakistan)
    Emails: akbarshahl@yahoo.com & akbarshah3@hotmail.com

77. Muhammad Mubashir Manzoor says:
    August 29th, 2007 2:00 am

A/A
    Thank You very much bcoz u select a picture of my big flag at the 1st place.
    yehi Mera Pakistan hei & yehi Meri Pakistaniat hei.

78. Muhammad Mubashir Manzoor says:
    September 15th, 2007 3:24 am

A/A
    Thank You very much bcoz u select a picture of my big flag at the 1st place.
    yehi Mera Pakistan hei & yehi Meri Pakistaniat hei.

my email adress is
    muh_mub_man@yahoo.com

79. MASTER MUHAMMAD MUNSHA says:
    April 10th, 2008 8:04 am

WOUNDER FULL SITE I AMZING ABOUT PAKISTANI FLAG. SO BUITY ,AGIAN VERY INTRISTING SITE

80. sadiya khan says:
    August 12th, 2008 8:24 am

We should thankx to Allah that he gave us a beautiful gift nd this precious gift iz my country nd i proud to live in thiz country, i ,lovev my country very much .

kyunk
    Azadi ki nemat us prende se koi puche jo brson se qed mei ho…………………….

81. mrs sabir khan says:
    August 12th, 2008 8:47 am

i love pakistan.may god bless our pakistan…rather blaming pakistan we should pray for our pakistan…….. And on 14 august we should perform 2 nafils for theblessings of pakistan “Be pakistan By pakistan.we should stop fire works on that day.”
    “PAKISTAN ZINDABAD”
    “PAKISTAN PAINDABAD”

82. AZAM says:
    August 12th, 2008 1:17 pm

Pakistan is whatever we make out of it. Unfortuanetly we have not made of it what we could. At least not yet.

83. Kareem says:
    August 13th, 2008 12:14 am

Happy Independence Day everyone.

84. abdullah says:
    August 13th, 2008 3:29 am

HATS OFF TO mrs. sabir khan,

in very simple words she has conveyed her heart felt message.
    Together we say” WE LOVE PAKISTAN” GOD BLESS OUR PAKISTAN.
    PAKISTAN ZINDABAD
    PAKISTAN PAINDABAD

85. Ayaz Ahmed says:
    August 13th, 2008 4:03 am

at least being PAKISTANI we should think about PAK that means free from all evils and AASTAN that means the house.
    WE MUST HAVE TO CLEAN OUR HOUSE FROM ALL EVILS, and such a way we can get the right to say:
    PAKISTAN ZINDABAD
    ………..
    and this is the time to…………..
    THINK ABOUT SMILLING PAKISTAN!!!!!!

86. mubashir says:
    August 13th, 2008 9:17 am

hello MUBASHIR how r u iam ANUM u r fine ok bbye

87. pakistan says:
    August 14th, 2008 5:56 am

love u all happpppppppppppyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 14 auugust

88. sufiyan says:
    August 14th, 2008 8:27 am

i love pakistan.may god bless our pakistan

89. maqbool ahmed says:
    May 29th, 2009 12:03 am

yar best website it is

90. soni says:
    August 12th, 2009 8:03 am

i proud on my country and i hopew that pakistan will get more achieve in this world
    and my advice to all people that do respect of ur country and every people of the country of pakistan

91. umer says:
    August 13th, 2009 2:30 am

PAKISTAN zinda bad

92. Pakistani says:
    June 4th, 2010 1:34 am

Thanks for sharing such information with us! Independence Day is one of the days in my life which I celebrate. When the Independence Day comes I become very pleased and make this occasion as unforgettable. We love Pakistan and we should celebrate in such a manner, that we show the entire world how much we love our Pakistan and we can do anything for our Pakistan.

93. July 28th, 2010 12:11 pm

i love pakistan pakistan i love utum pe meri jan b qurban /aye pak watan

94. Muhammed Umair says:
    August 9th, 2010 3:27 am

I LOVE PAKISTAN…………..PAKISTAN MARI JAN

95. abdul aziz says:
    August 16th, 2010 2:17 am

i love pakistan
    pakistan zindabad payenda bad
    pakistan is the superpower of the islamic world

96. Watan Aziz says:
    October 27th, 2010 6:12 am

ATP there was a time when you published good and published well.

That defined the Pakistaniat of the Pakistanis. An evolving culture with rich history and traditions. Successes, warts and all.

But now, ATP is moving towards tabloid-ism. One-of events and stories do not make or define Pakistaniat.

The recent series of stories of tamshbeen is not Pakistaniat, even if it is titillating and draw hundreds of hits. If revenue generation is the goal, then there are many nutty stories that can be published, which will still not be Pakistaniat, but nevertheless equally entertaining.

Of course the choice remains yours, but think about it. The quality of ATP will be in a downward spiral and sometimes, the beginning of the spiral is not seen until the vortex is fully formed. Too late by then.

And as always, I remain someone not from the “wah wah” crowd.

97. Naan Haleem says:
    October 27th, 2010 7:44 am

I agree with Watan Aziz. Although “Tharra Culture” is one of the characteristics of Pakistani Society, yet Pakistaniat is not just Day-to-day gossiping. ATP’s recent posts may be attempts to diversify the blog topics, but it is taking away the essence of Pakistaniat.

Experimentation is good but it should not be “Disgusting”…

A couple of suggestions for ATP

Huqqa
    Regional languages of Pakistan
    Cotton and value addition thereof
    Sandak mines
    Border crossings
    Agri-land being engulfed by housing societies

I think these kind of topics much more define ATP and Pakistaniat rather than following the lead of newspaper.

98. Watan Aziz says:
    November 3rd, 2010 11:18 pm

In the beginning, Romans had a purpose for the games and entertainment.

But towards their end, they degenerated into vulgar and disgusting tastelessness.

In a sinkhole, the depth is not relevant; just that it is a sinkhole.

Mera Pakistan and Meri Pakistaniat rejects all forms of disgusting entertainment, regardless of it’s currency.

I will hold my nose!

99. Watan Aziz says:
    December 2nd, 2010 8:42 am

Priceless!

I say priceless from mavens of the “gitter-mitter” crowd.

So, the logic goes like this, anything that predates August 14, 1947 is not Pakistani!

Could someone point me to Badshahi Masjid? I forgot my way while following the paths of Heer Ranjha (now where was that story from?) But that was because I was trying to grasp Data (no, not that one; Data Ganj Baksh, silly).

BTW, expunge Syed Ahmed Khan from history books too as he predates Pakistan and we owe him nothing (you hear, no nothing, nada, zip, zilch, zero, non!) for our journey. What a relief!

Which exactly explains why the only city that makes sense to this “gitter-mitter” crowd is “I-Slammed-Everyone-Else-Abad”!

It is the post-independence city.

Tell ya not did I?

So, please, next time you want to blame the uneducated of Pakistani, first take a fill at ATP.

Khalid Abass Dar, help me!

‘maaaa nnnnnna maaaaa na ….. tar bar, balay nalah, tar bar balay nall …. aey rey bannaaaal… hoooooooooooooooooo’

100. Raghba Sadqa says: