Asad Amanat Ali Khan (1952-2007) Dies of Heart Attack

Posted on April 8, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Music, People

I just heard that Asad Amanat Ali Khan died of a heart attack, in London. The news leaves me sad. Death of such talent at such a young age is always tragic. Just as it was when his father (Ustad Amanat Ali Khan) died, also relatively young and also abundantly talented.

For me – as for so many others – this scion of this Patiala gharana of classical singing was always his father’s son.

Asad Amanat Ali Khan was himself immensely talented, thought probably not as innovative in delivery as his father, but in many ways he was never able to come out of his father’s shadows. This was neither his fault nor his father’s. If anything, it was the fault of fans like myself who coudl never get themselves to listen to him without thinking of Ustad Amanat Ali Khan. But let it also be said that this was a compliment not only to Ustad Amanat Ali Khan but also to Asad Amanat Ali. He did his father proud. He made his the Patiala gharana proud.

In his memory let me share three memorable songs – the first two by Asad Amanat Ali Khan and the third by his father; all three are part of the legacy of both men. They also demonstrate how the memory of each can be so poignantly evoked by listening to the other.

First, Piyar nahin hai surr se jiss ko, woh morakh insaan nahin, by Ustad Asad Amanat Ali Khan.

Next, Kal chaudhvien ki raat thi, shab bhar raha charcha taira, also by Ustan Asad Amanat Ali Khan.

Finally, Insha Ji Utho, abb kooch karo, iss shehr mein dil ko lagana kiya by Ustad Amanat Ali Khan.

30 Comments on “Asad Amanat Ali Khan (1952-2007) Dies of Heart Attack”

1. Suleman says:
    April 8th, 2007 11:47 pm

Thanks for the news update. This is really sad. I really liked the guy and his ghazals more then his dad. The best was “Ghar Wapas Kab Aaoge” great lyrics and quite moving unfortunately not on Youtube. BTW, isn’t one of his brothers the former lead singer of Fuzon group, Shafqat ? Anyhow it is a loss to Pakistan to lose him.

2. Moeen Bhatti says:
    April 8th, 2007 11:49 pm

Sad to hear that!

3. Daktar says:
    April 8th, 2007 11:52 pm

This is very sad. Like you, I could also never hear him without thinking of his father. Many of his duets with his uncle (right?) Hamid ALi Khan are classics.

4. Daktar says:
    April 8th, 2007 11:57 pm

According to Dawn he was given the Pride of Performance Award just two weeks ago on March 23.

5. zakoota says:
    April 9th, 2007 12:07 am

Thats a big loss for Pakistani music industry, I always liked his way of singing and one of his ghazals “ghar wapis jab aao gay” is one of my favorite ghazals of all time. Its really saddening that he died at an age where he could still perform so good. May Allah Almighty rest his soul in peace. Ameen.

6. Roshan says:
    April 9th, 2007 12:59 am

It was hard to read about his early death. I always liked his ‘Umraan langiaN pabaaN bhar’. Earlier he and his uncle Ustan Hamid Ali Khan used to sing together but later they started performing separately.
    Great loss to Patiala gharana !

7. Adnan Siddiqi says:
    April 9th, 2007 1:29 am

Insha ji utho ab kooch karo
    is shehar me ji ko lagana kia

I didn’t like him as a singer but one of his song which ends at “Ye Nagri Sunsaan” was really awesome.

8. Mariam Ahmed says:
    April 9th, 2007 1:35 am

very sad to hear about this news…

I m building up a database of the Performing artists and musicians; but sadly i m finding it very hard to gather info about the great music icons of our country. if anyone can help me and send me links of websites do feel free to mail me. mariam.ahmed.ali@gmail.com

Thanking you.

bye

9. Hamid says:
    April 9th, 2007 5:52 am

Very sad indeed — for me, his biggest hit was not in Urdu, but in Punjabi — kalam of Ghulam Fareed, “Umraan Langian Pubbhan Paar” — a real gem! You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt-P3KDxQsQ

10. blue and grey says:
    April 9th, 2007 9:38 am

Sad news indeed. They say that when an old man dies it’s like a library burning down. I guess that when a musician of his caliber passes away, it’s also like a part of our musical heritage disappearing with him. Others will take up things after him, but he will be missed. May he rest in peace.

ps: Hamid, thanks for sharing that gem!

11. April 9th, 2007 9:46 am

Of course life and death is in the hands of Allah, but may I also point out how often we hear about young men and women dying of heart attack? Why are we, as a society, so prone to it? Is it our diet, too much cholestrol, our genetics, our lifestyle (no exercise), the hypertension in our society, or environmental factors?
    I asked myself this question when Nusrat Fateh Ali passed away, and now I ask again.

He was a great singer, and among the few good looking men who appeared on TV singing classical music (my childhood/teen-age memories) – even better than many TV/film actors. He could have easily made the move to modern fusion music had he so wanted. But he was a purist who stayed true to the artistic roots of his gharana.

12. Indscribe says:
    April 9th, 2007 11:47 am

Please correct the spelling of Ali in headline. The ‘l’ is missing.

13. Babar says:
    April 9th, 2007 2:51 pm

How sad. I was a big fan of Asad Amanat Ali.

To your point Bilal – South Asians are prone to heart diseases due to a combination of hereditary factors and our diet / life style. Heart problem is so prevalent in Pakistan that it should be really scary .. lack of awareness and education about this is sad. On top of it many of us have a fatalistic attitude towards these things.

14. Zia says:
    April 9th, 2007 8:54 pm

Its sad and shocking too. His ” umraan langyan pabaan paahr”..was one of the most popular.
    Allah bless his soul.

15. Harris says:
    April 10th, 2007 1:14 am

I have been humming “laagi re toh se laagi najar sayyan laagi” ever since I heard of his passing.
    A sad news indeed. May he rest in peace.

16. Rabia says:
    April 10th, 2007 5:21 pm

It’s horribly sad indeed. And shocking. He wasn’t an old man; it reminds me of what happened to his father even though I wasn’t even born then. To be honest, I never respected him or his singing as much as I loved his father’s but you’re right that maybe it’s being unfair, as fans, to compare the two whenever you hear one of them. But maybe it’s just natural. Nevertheless, he was an awesome artist in his own right, and it’s a devastating loss.

17. Karim Jindani says:
    April 10th, 2007 9:20 pm

Read in DAWN.

Ironically all the three guys (Insha Jee, Amanat Ali Khan and Asad Amanat Ali) closely related to the ghazal “Inshaa Jee Utho…” died relatively young.

18. MajorrSahib says:
    April 11th, 2007 12:06 am

Very sad, but not sam calibur as his Daddy.

19. Shahid Hussain says:
    April 11th, 2007 4:39 pm

How sad that Asad Amanat Ali Khan died! I am really a big fan of his and his father’s. May Allah keep his soul in rest and harmony.

20. sarah khann says:
    April 16th, 2007 6:01 am

very sad indeed. may his soul rest in peace.

21. Raza says:
    April 17th, 2007 12:07 am

I like his punjabi song Umraan Langian Pubbhan Paar. Can anyone has access to his older version, I’ve been searching for it from last couple of years.

Thanks

22. Aurangzeb Butt says:
    April 19th, 2007 3:54 am

Hello every body,

yes this is a huge loss to pakistan as we are loosing our precious people at such a young age but this is life every one has to leave this stage which is set by all mighty Allah we must pray for every muslim who past away and for those who are still on this stage for betterment.
    The best of Asad Amanat Ali is (Ghar Wapas Kab Aaoge)the most beautiful ghazal i have heard.
    I would like to say one more thing that every person has his own caliber please don’t compare person to person.

Regards and Thanks

23. Shamim A. Sheikh says:
    May 9th, 2007 3:27 pm

In Asad Amnat Ali,I lost a dear friend and a great muscian and human being.I have had memorable Ghazal evenings and social nights in London with this handsome, smiling,remarkable person. Sadly ,I had not seen him for some years.Among his many masterpieces,his rendering of ‘Piyar nahin hai surr se jiss ko’ in raag Milhar, is outstanding.

I have simply been devastated by the sad news of his demise.Farewell my friend.

24. geoff jee says:
    June 2nd, 2007 9:04 pm

please if anybody know about amanat ali khan,s ghazal, ab key saal poonam main jab tu aaye gee milney……let me know please……………….geoff jee

25. AAAK FAN says:
    June 18th, 2007 8:15 pm

To me he was One of the last true classical singers in pakistan. Had you ever heard such power and soul in a voice. And the Dard he had in his voice. To me music is dead now. Yes his father was an outstanding singer. But the magic Asad had in his voice was something that comes along very rarely. Its a shame that he did not have a chance to show the world his amazing talent. The best singer in my eyes other than Lata Jee.

26. June 22nd, 2007 3:14 am

Hailing from famous Patiala Gharana, Asad was son of famous musician Ustad Amanat Ali Khan.
    His great-grandfather, Ali Bux Khan, was the founder of the Patiala Gharana. His grandfather.
    Asad owed much of his early recognition to his late father’s famous numbers.
    Quite often his concert would round off with Insha’a Jee utho, abb cooch karo â€

27. Anshuman Chandel says:
    August 20th, 2007 4:52 pm

Great singer..i haven

28. HAROON AHMAD says:
    February 20th, 2008 5:49 am

i m very very sad because i love asad amanat ali khan and his singing he was a great man and god was blessed him a great voice .thank you

29. shahbaz says:
    July 21st, 2008 2:34 pm

I am really heartbroken after the death of my one of the best singer Asad Amanat Ali Khan.He was literally the soul of songs.He was unique and still known all over subcontinent.May god bless him with heaven.(aameen)

30. abdullah says:
    August 12th, 2008 2:25 pm

I loved Asad Amanat Ali.

(kal chodvein ki raat thi, shab bhar raha charcha tera, kuch ne kaha yeh chand ha kuch ne kaha chehra tera, hum bhi wahan mojod theh hum se bhi sab poocha kiya, hum hans diya, hum chup reha, manzoor tha parda tera. GOD bless him