Inspiration Pakistan: My Boy Jonaid

Posted on August 3, 2009
Filed Under >Aisha Sarwari, Law & Justice, People

Aisha Sarwari

Capt. Jonaid Khan: Special Services Group in the Pakistan army was born in Quetta in 1983, with his primary education in Ankara, where his father Prof. Ayaz Ahmad Khan was stationed on deputation in the Pakistan Mission, Ankara. He was abducted by Taliban on April 19, 2009 and said to be martyred on May 10th 2009.

I met Prof. Ayaz Ahmad Khan at Saint Mary’s College in Rawalpindi. He was sitting in a modest office, inquiring about costs he had to approve for the college which is run for those students who fall through the cracks. This was 100km from where his son, Capt. Jonaid Khan, died 2 months ago, in Swat.

His kind green eyes seemed like he was accustomed to the often misplaced bravado and valorous praise that visitors greet him with since his son was killed in combat fighting with Taliban. Misplaced, because, Capt. Jonaid died in extraordinary circumstances that require not the commemorative tone of a shaheed cleared for the pearly gates of heaven, but with simple silence, shock and disgust at the barbarity that he faced in his last hours. It is incredibly impossible to maintain confidence when you are meeting a man who lost his son at the hands of the Taliban, whose son was, according to the Pakistan Army, beheaded.

I could have said something: “I came to pay my condolences. I am sorry for your terrible loss.” But I couldn’t and instead we began chatting about Turkey, where he was posted for years. He talked about how Pakistanis were considered blood relatives of the Turks, and how the major difference between Turkey and Pakistan was that Turkey was never colonized and how people in Ankara with whom he worked with tried to convince him to stay in Turkey. There was a deep sadness in his anecdotes, like there is a dam of emotions held back with concrete and fierce pride. Prof. Ayaz was a proud Pakistani Pashtoon, a Yousef-Zai Pashtoon and it was not hard to imagine the dignity with which he was fighting this battle between pain and sanity.

Eventually he said, “I should have stayed back, maybe then, I could have saved my son.” He smiled sadly as he said that.

Only in times of great trauma does one realize that life is short, and the meaning comes from the relationships we hold, between parent and child, and most importantly between nations and citizens.

Although we can interpret the brutal beheading of an SSG Commando and a number of others by Taliban, as an act of war, and within the rules of war, it was a vengeful strike back by the enemy on an army that once fed it and nurtured it with American aid. A more introspective analysis may perhaps reveal that the nation has failed to protect its most loyal citizen – a commando.

The failure is not abstract. Any country’s armed forced are designed to send their best and bravest in harm’s way – but failure in the sense that on one hand the country is protecting its dynastic political kings at the top in the name of democracy, and on the other hand barbaric thugs equipped with medieval ruthlessness from Arab and Central Asian war techniques hound Pakistan’s northern borders like they own those lands. Under a new cyber law, it is criminal to send any derogatory messages against President, Asif Ali Zardari electronically, leading up to 16 years in prison. The survailance needed to put this law into action is astounding, proving that it is far more important for the current administration to protect a public figure’s already tainted reputation than it is to locate an abducted Army officer fighting for his country.

If a nation is only as strong as its army and any constitution’s basis is undoubtedly on a strong and equipped army then the question arises: Is the government effectively focusing on winning this war in Swat with minimal loss of men?

(Below is a PTV interview with Capt. Jonaid’s parents)

On April 19, 2009, Capt. Jonaid along with 3 others was on a surveillance mission in Swat, when the Taliban, led by Maulana Fazlullah, abducted them in the cagey mountains, to use as bargaining chip against key Taliban that the Pakistan Army had taken as prisoners.

What is strange is that Prof. Ayaz continued to receive phone calls from his son after his abduction.

“I was concerned about Jonaid when I didn’t hear from him, and contacted his officers who assured me he was safe and in a location in the Swat Mountains that didn’t have communication signals, but when I heard from Jonaid a few days later, I had no reason to be alarmed.”

Partly to protect his mission and partly to be positive with his family, Capt. Jonaid spent hours talking to his mother about his upcoming wedding and the arrangements needed. These calls continued for a few more days until they stopped. Soon after the Pakistan Army contacted Prof. Ayaz and told him that they suspect Capt. Jonaid was abducted by the Taliban, and that they are hopeful that they’ll learn his whereabouts soon.

Upset at being left in the dark for so long after the army knew, Prof. Ayaz probed on his own as well as provided helpful details to the Pakistan Army. When he called back from the various numbers Capt. Jonaid used, and few days later after the abduction, a Taliban called and asked to talk with Jonaid’s father about his son who has been with them.

“What he said after that was so insulting that I broke down. It was terrible; he insulted me, and the Pakistan Army. He cursed at me for sending my son to fight Muslims and finally demanded an explanation from me about why my son doesn’t know how to speak good Pushto…I told him, son, I don’t know, I never really saw the need, we knew the languages we required to communicate,” narrated Prof. Ayaz in a calm, descriptive voice.

The Taliban asked: “What kind of father are you? You don’t even know what your son is doing here?”

“I could answer that, but you won’t like my answer, and you have my son at your mercy, how can you expect me to honestly respond?” Prof. Ayaz said.

At the Taliban’s insistence, Prof. Ayaz asked him a question in response to his: “Do your parents know what you’re doing right now, son, do they know you are kidnapping and beheading and killing fellow Muslims?”

Not hardened to the extent that Prof. Ayaz expected, the Taliban was speechless for a few seconds and then engaged in softened conversation, referring to him as “Uncle,” and at the end asked what can he do for him. Prof. Ayaz asked to release the persons they have abducted. The Taliban said he can’t do that. However, he did promise to protect Capt. Jonaid as long as he lived.

Prof. Ayaz may be a victim of the psychology of all parents who lose their sons without identifying them after death. He may be reacting to the grief by denying that Jonaid is dead, because he has not seen the coffin of his son and is still in a state of illusion.

I thought of this as I observed Prof. Ayaz tell me this tragic series of events. He looked out the window and drew a breath of conviction and said, “I am still looking.”

I thanked him for his time, and his story. What else could I say?

If Capt. Jonaid and his team were bait for Fazlullah, the Taliban faction leader, linked with Al Qaida is still alive and well, according to the national press. Fazlullah has enjoyed many other privileges too: He is more commonly known as the FM Mullah, for his ability to run and preach anarchy against Pakistan over the country’s own air waves without any restrictions from the government. This went on indefinitely, as long as he recruited enough men to stage this insurgency in Swat. He is also the son-in-law of Sufi Muhammad, the group’s leader. The government officially had a pact with Sufi Muhammad early in the year so he could officially establish an Islamic state in Swat, in return for clumsy peace.

On July 27, 2009, the Urdu Jang reported said that Sufi Muhammad was taken into custody at Sethi Town, Peshawar on Sunday July 26 instant and will be prosecuted for the abduction of 3 (not 4) Pakistan Army officers. NWFP Information Minister Main Iftikhar Hussain confirmed the TNSM chief’s arrest and has said the group, Tehreek-e-Nafaz-e-Shariat-e-Muhammadi (TNSM) and its past conduct will be “investigated.” Sufi Muhammad’s arrest is not as relevant and the militant’s high command is still said to be intact.

Despite the much lauded operation in Swat where the Pakistan Army achieved with creativity and nerve what even other armies better equipped could not, there should still be an accountability of how far we are from ending this war which was started in the name of a US-Backed Central Asian oil pipeline.

Are we headed towards a war strategy that is sustainable, or one that has unmanageable reactionary elements as its side effects, punishing the very people who are its most idealistic fighters and who believe in Pakistan?

The games go on, and yet many fathers won’t stop waiting for their sons to return home this Eid. Prof. Ayaz reminded me of Rudyard Kipling’s, poem, My Boy Jack, after his own son went missing in the Battle of Loos, during World War I.

My Boy Jack
by Rudyard Kipling (1915)

“Have you news of my boy Jack?”
Not this tide.
“When d’you think that he’ll come back?”
Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

“Has any one else had word of him?”
Not this tide.
For what is sunk will hardly swim,
Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

“Oh, dear, what comfort can I find?”
None this tide,
Nor any tide,
Except he did not shame his kind —
Not even with that wind blowing, and that tide.

Then hold your head up all the more,
This tide,
And every tide;
Because he was the son you bore,
And gave to that wind blowing and that tide!

52 Comments on “Inspiration Pakistan: My Boy Jonaid”

1. Gardezi says:
    August 3rd, 2009 11:00 pm

What a heart moving write-up.
    Curse these Taliban for killing Pakistanis all over and making Pakistanis homeless!

2. Mahmood says:
    August 3rd, 2009 11:44 pm

Every day these 2 bit wannabe heores shame all the muslims & pakhtoons by their barbaric acts. I pray every day that Allah swt shows me in my lifetime the destruction of all of these so called muslims. This brought tears & sadness to me, I wish our leaders either wake up or move aside. May Allah grant his parents some ‘sabar’.

3. adeel says:
    August 3rd, 2009 11:48 pm

Beautiful poem at the end.

I wonder what parents of these Taliban fighters feel when they hear of their sons killing other people’s sons or dying in the process. I wonder if the Taliban themselves realize what their parents may be going through.

All these crimes just because of a bunch of self-righteous, cursed mullahs with dogmatic views who think only their view of the world is the correct one.

4. Atif says:
    August 3rd, 2009 11:53 pm

Thank you Capt. Jonaid for your ultimate sacrifice for the nation. We will forever be in your debt.

5. huma says:
    August 4th, 2009 12:03 am

i m speechless

6. rabi says:
    August 4th, 2009 12:23 am

Rest in Peace Jonaid. I am sure you will find the heights of heaven pleasant.

I can’t thank you and your parents enough for this sacrifice.

Prof. sahib you and shaheed’s mother have rendered a great sacrifice and our coming generations with thank your family for making this great sacrifice.

7. Aamir Ali says:
    August 4th, 2009 1:14 am

I salute this soldier of Pakistan and his family and pray that the Taliban and other bearded wackos are exterminated from Pakistani soil.

I will however reject the author’s claim of this being a war “started in the name of a US-Backed Central Asian oil pipeline”. This was started because of 9/11, and the aftermath in which all Afghan-based terrorists fled to Pakistan. This war is also heavily linked to policies followed after 1979 during Afghan jihad. To believe in theories of pipelines, or New World Order, or crusade against Islam , or other nonsense is to insult the sacrifices of brave patriots like Captain Junaid Shaheed.

8. Amena says:
    August 4th, 2009 1:29 am

this was so painful to read…May we Pakistanis prove to be worthy of Jonaid’s life.

9. Eidee Man says:
    August 4th, 2009 2:10 am

Very sad story, and very well-written.

How has a small group of imported Arabs brought about the cancer that has been eating away at Pakistan and its people.

One can only wish that our leadership develops even a fraction of such dedication and courage.

10. Salman Khan says:
    August 4th, 2009 2:39 am

Maulana Sufi and Maulana Radio deserve the faith worst then dogs crushed by fast cars. Lets see when it will be done.

Captain Jonaid Khan Shaheed tujehy salam.

11. Bushra says:
    August 4th, 2009 2:55 am

Allah shaheed ke darjaat buland kere or Pak Army ko kamyab kery is jang main Ameen Sum Ameen

12. Ammad 03005550612 says:
    August 4th, 2009 3:01 am

I personally met with Prof. Ayaz Ahmed Khan just few hours back. I am 100% agree with Ayesha about the fact which she had written. Mr. Ayaz is still in illusion in that his son alive or dead. As per Mr. Ayaz there were 4 SSG soldiers who were abducted then why only one Shaheed Capt Jonaid had been headed off. According to Mr. Ayaz he keep informing Intelligence officials that he is in touch with his son and you may trace them but the officials didn’t notice that. Prof Ayaz also claimed that he talked with a General in this regard while he was on negotiation with Talibans and the General replied that carry on the call for next 10 minutes and we will trace the location. As per Mr Ayaz he carried out the conversation for 45 minutes and in those 45 minutes the location was trace out and the special team had been launched for operation but at the very few moment the operation got leaked out and the talibans change there positions. The question is who leaked out the operation? Who inform Talibans that they had been tracked? Prof Ayaz talked with General and it was the General who ordered for the operation then who was the person who leaked it out? These are all the questions which are still un answered and un attended from any High Pakistani Official……. Kindly raise your hands for Captain. Jonaid and pray that may Al might ALLAH give peace and patience to his family(ameen)

13. Arsalan Zamir says:
    August 4th, 2009 3:14 am

May his soul rest in peace. He was a cousin of mine. What happend to him was betrayal of the worst sort. you will undestand when you see the following video.

14. wasiq says:
    August 4th, 2009 3:15 am

This is the most powerful piece I’ve seen on the war in Pakistan and I thank you profusely for making us aware of this brave young man’s life and death.

15. ZEESHAN says:
    August 4th, 2009 4:21 am

and i proud to be pakistani army..

16. Dawood says:
    August 4th, 2009 7:21 am

Thank you ATP for this tribute. We must remember the sacrifices that are being given in our name. Not just by these brave soldiers but also by the IDPs who have had to leave homes.

Never forget who Pakistan’s real enemy is: TALIBAN.

17. Rashid Ali says:
    August 4th, 2009 8:54 am

Moving piece.

But am not clear what you are trying to say. Are you saying that Jonaid is alive and somehow the Army is not telling that. From the video of the interview of the parents that does not seem to be what he is saying.

18. August 4th, 2009 9:03 am

Comments on this from the ATP Facebok Page:

- “Speechless :(
    ALLAH se dua hai k hamari qaum k in azeem muhafizoon ki qurbani ko raigaan na janay day…
    Ameen. Summa Ameen. ALLAH HUMMA AMEEN”

- “I read this story with tears in eyes.

The Taliban asked:

19. Adnan Ahmad says:
    August 4th, 2009 9:17 am

Heartrending post. You touch on many aspects of this story. On first read it is hard to reconcile the silence and the darkness in which his father and his mother are breathing [yes I write breathing for a reason] and the bigger picture in which Pakistan

20. commoner says:
    August 4th, 2009 11:06 am

let nothing be forgotten , let nothing be forgiven

21. mg says:
    August 4th, 2009 11:12 am

These are the real Showdhas, not the dreaded politicians that die like scum, and enabled the savage mullaas to incubate these crazy jihadis under their watch.

May Allah the Exalted have mercy on our brave Army men and their families. Upon reading this story, I remembered that a few weeks before the Swat operation, GEO TV

22. August 4th, 2009 11:18 am

Highly Pitched and highly touching article.

23. lida says:
    August 4th, 2009 12:11 pm

I feel so Sad for his parents. MashAllah Jonaid was so handsome and his Parents must have been so Proud of him.
    The confusing thing is that we are fighting for Our Religion and we both claim to be rightly guided ..it is infuriating and Sad that we have to see this mess.

We keep on Claiming as Per Quran that killing one innocent person is like killing all of Humanity. Well, killing this innocent boy is equal to wiping out all of humanity in Allah’s eyes.

So in others words Pakistan would have been better off being a secular/non-religious country so not to upset Allah Taala.

I think our brand religion has caused the most harm to Pakistan. Allah ki Maklook ko nuqsaan Puhchana is the biggest crime.

24. Expat says:
    August 4th, 2009 12:29 pm

Dear All,

I take strong exception to calling these faithless, immoral people as maulanas. In my opinion, our media and us should stop calling them maulanas and replace it with either butcher
    Sufi (I dont think he deserves to get exalted name of our prophet (pbuh) beside his name), and butcher Fazl.

25. Shahid Ali says:
    August 4th, 2009 1:01 pm

Aye Rah-e-Haq Ke Shaheedo! It may sound hollow / cliched but a grateful nation can not thank you and your parents enough. Shame on hidden and not so hidden Taliban sympathizers, Oryia Maqbool Jans, Haroon Rashids (although he pretends to have seen through the smut called Taliban now! / or may be his masters in ISI; the same shadowy figures who “leak” information to these subhuman species, have told him to change his technique!) Hamid Mirs, the former commisioner of Malakand Syed Javed and most of all that “elder statesman” Amir Jamat-e-Islami, Syed Munawwar Hasan SHAH! But let us squarely put the blame where it belongs _ on Mardood-e-Momin /
    Mardood-e-Haq, i.e Zia ul-Haq. It was his Afghan “Jihad” policy that we find ourselves in this cesspool presently, without any end in sight in the forseeable future. Afghan Jihad destroyed the fabric of Pakistani society. It however turned a lot of “Mujahideen” into millinaires overnight. May Zia rot in eternal hell!

26. Musaafir says:
    August 4th, 2009 4:25 pm

We need to move forward but not let the sacrifices of our brave men in uniform, be they in green, blue, black or white go waste. It is easy to criticize the Talibans but the truth of the matter is we still tolerate their sympathizers and let them have their way. We must make it clear to them that we will not stand for their duplicity and self serving rhetoric which goes against the grain of our national identity and our beliefs. However, empty words will not pay homage to the Jonaids and Saleems and Anwars and all other untold heroes of this first true war for Pakistan.

We must show it by our actions that we will not tolerate this anti-Pakistan element in our midst any more. Once we all speak as one, the religion brokers (with and without the beards) and news brokers will have to change their ways automatically.

27. Raheel says:
    August 5th, 2009 2:29 am

Accountability – Alas! it’s something never existed and don’t exist in our homeland.

The harsh reality is aching that not even a single of Taliban has been punished yet! Should we forget all the brutal acts and just start living happily? Until you don’t set examples by punishing them publicly, they would keep arising somehow, somewhere.

A Beautiful Write-up, Indeed!

28. Parveen says:
    August 5th, 2009 10:00 am

The ‘INSPIRATION’ in this story is the Jonaid’s father as much as Jonaid himself.

At this time in our history, it is clear that we all have to be counted in one very simple way: DO we stand WITH Pakistan or with teh enemies of Pakistan. Taliban and Taliban supporters have made their choice. We Pakistanis need to make our choice too.

29. Rasheed says:
    August 5th, 2009 2:22 pm

Prof. Ayyaz Khan reminded me not of Rudyard Kipling, but of the prophet Hadhrat Ya’qoob (AS), whose son, Hadhrat Yoosaf (AS) had been abducted by his own brothers [Muslim brothers, in this case] and left him for dead after throwing him into a water well and reported to their father that he was attacked by a wild animal. They showed him his shirt with false blood. But his father did not give up and kept believing that his son was alive, whose presence he could smell.

Let’s hope that like Yoosaf (AS), Captain Junaid will reemerge again and in glory, and not according to the army’s reports of beheading.

And, please don’t delete the following (I mean well), this story does reveal another hidden story within it, which is probably just as moving. That untold story shows the human side of the youngsters being called “Taliban”. If a mere conversation could transform a young man to begin using the word “uncle” for someone whose son he had wanted to kill, I believe we shouldn’t give up on those sons of our soil and faith, just like Hadhrat Ya’qoob never gave up on his biological son and did not punish his other sons. I’m shocked at the extreme hatred against ALL of the Taliban, without looking into the circumstances that pushed them to that extreme fringe. We need to think of a way that is better than violence. We need negotiators and ambassadors that would speak with the heart of Prof. Ayyaz Khan.

30. Iqbal says:
    August 5th, 2009 3:32 pm

Rest in peace Captain. You will be remembered for your sacrifice in promoting peace and upholding justice.

31. MUHADDIS ALI BHATTI says:
    August 6th, 2009 2:41 am

Aye Rah-e-Haq Ke Shaheedo!
    The

32. No-PC says:
    August 6th, 2009 7:54 am

Sadly too many young men of many faiths have died, just because these monsters keep arising proclaiming “gods justification” for their crimes.

I am afraid that you will have to get used to it, for until you close all the madrassas, and open proper non religious based state schools, free for all the children of your land, Pakistan will continue to be the cockpit of world Islamic terrorism.

33. Rasheed says:
    August 6th, 2009 10:52 am

SOME “TALIBAN” MIGHT NOT BE TERRORISTS!

I ask you this question earnestly. While fully agreeing that the death of each and everyone at the hands of the Taliban is very tragic. I also believe that terrorism (unprovoked acts of terrorizing people just for the sake of it) is criminal and heinous:

If one of your own brothers or sons, with whom you were close, were to be brainwashed by the Taliban into joining them, would you want your family member to just be killed summarily without questions, or would you want someone to coax him into abandoning the lost cause of the Taliban and returning toward sanity? That is if that family member of yours had not (yet) himself committed an act of violence.

I know you can’t reason with the hardened Taliban criminals, but I’m sure there are plenty who are simply there like many US soldiers, who simply joined their military because they needed a job or wanted to belong.

The human mind is a very complicated thing. Don’t you think that the deaths of the three American ladies in the gym could have been prevented if someone had detected a mental problem and reached out to that regular, otherwise decent, man who became their killer?

We need moderation of stances, not my way or the highway. If we talk Islam, we should WALK Islam. Islam’s Prophet, who you say was the greatest of all, said: Khairal Umoori Ausatuha – that the best way is that of moderation. Moderate should not only mean kissing Amerika’s dirty posterior. That is not Islam. Nor does it mean hating everything American.

We should solicit American support without offering our submission into slavery. We should offer them strategic alliance in exchange for an end to their racist restrictions against us and technological knowhow, which they hate to share. We should block drone attacks, which welcome youngsters toward recruitment into Taliban/Al-Qaidah. We could do so by making some noise on the international scene by, for example, at least pretending to be serious about opposing the attacks. We could begin by expelling Amerikan diplomats from Pak soil. We could also reject extremist views being spewed from loudspeakers of mullahs in every neighborhood by replacing our hateful mullahs with more educated ones.

Remember that Americans, for whom this so-called war on terror appears to have been launched, themselves give mixed signals vis-a-vis the Taliban – sometimes threatening to kill them all while at other times, talking with them. Even they appear to be less rigid than some of us.

34. Hashir Zuberi says:
    August 6th, 2009 2:04 pm

Wait a minute, this article is quite confusing. It starts off as a matter-of-fact that Capt Jonaid was beheaded by the Taliban. Towards the end it implies that nobody really knows what happened. This is poor journalism at best, and toying with a family’s and a nation’s emotions at worst. What irrefutable evidence do we have that Capt. Jonaid is dead, much less a victim of “brutal beheading”? If we trust the army’s word, why have they not produced his dead body?

Ms. Sarwari’s reporting and knowledge of the entire conflict seems sketchy and subjective. Fazlullah represents “Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP)”, NOT “Taliban”, the Afghani movement headed by Mulla Omar that for a period ruled Afghanistan with the blessings of the Pak and US armies. It is VERY important to maintain the distinction, as Taliban claim no affiliation whatsoever with TTP. They maintain their war is against NATO invaders, not Pakistanis. Pakistan still prefers a Taliban government in Afghanistan over Hamid Karzai’s or any other pro-India group’s. It seems like the writer is not even aware of this distinction. Less importantly, the singular of “Taliban” is “Talib”.

In general, this article may be heart rendering, but it is poorly written and even more poorly researched. I don’t blame Mr. Ayaz Khan for keeping his hopes up that his son may still be alive. Allegations of a brutal beheading are unfounded and insulting to the family until the army respectfully provides irrefutable evidence to the family, which is the least they deserve. The TTP may be ruthless militants, but demonizing any group and sensationalizing news piece without hard facts is itself an inappropriate act.

On a side note, this article shows the human side of a TTP member, as is apparent by his conversation with Mr. Ayaz Khan, and also shows our army mouthpieces are not to be trusted.

35. Aamir Ali says:
    August 6th, 2009 6:59 pm

@Hashir Zuberi

The Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan are terrorists and evil. Both deserve to be eliminated and their sympathizers punished.

Captain Junaid was murdered by the Taliban, who also called his father and claimed responsibility. Otherwise he would be here today with his unit.

36. adeel says:
    August 7th, 2009 10:11 am

I fully back what Mr. Hashir Zuberi has written. He has raised some very important questions that need to be carefully considered without involving a lot of emotions.

37. mg says:
    August 7th, 2009 12:32 pm

Well people, as you can see, the needle seems to be stuck on the same old thing

38. August 7th, 2009 12:48 pm

@adeel

I fully reject the specious questions Hashir Zuberi has raised and which you back, since their purpose is to hide the crimes of the Taliban.

May the Taliban and all their overt and covert supporters go to Hell.

39. adeel says:
    August 7th, 2009 3:41 pm

@Aamir Ali

Very respectfully sir, you are being overly emotional. You probably did not read it right. I never said a thing in support of the Taliban nor did the post I referred to.

I will repeat it here in fewer sentences for your convenience.

Ms. Sarwari’s writing is circuitous and mixes up unconfirmed reports with a bit of sensationalism. E.g., she starts off by saying that Capt Jonaid (shaheed) was beheaded by Taliban then towards the end she disputes it herself by implying that no one really knows what happened to him.

This article exemplifies poor writing and bad research and that is all what my (and Hashir’s – I probably shouldn’t speak for him) point was.

(You can read Hashir version, which is more powerful and contains further details).

Now don’t get me wrong. I am not trying to hide any crimes of these cursed Taliban here. I recognize this is a sensitive topic and my heart goes out to Mrs. and Prof. Ayaz. But if we are to stand at a higher level of morality than the Taliban then we need to do justice. And not do to the Taliban what they do to us; hate blindly.

It is surprizing to see ATP indulging in sensationalism (not that this is the first time). Understandably, it is only a blog but of late, it has attained this larger than life quality… and one expects it to maintain a certain standard.

40. Aamir Ali says:
    August 7th, 2009 5:21 pm

@adeel

This is no emotion in my posts, just an observation of facts and a conclusion based on those facts. The Taliban kidnapped Captain Junaid and claimed the kidnapping. They even called Captain Junaid’s father about the kidnapping. Later the Taliban murdered these commandos, and are also the only group in Pakistan that practices mass-beheading.

The article may have inaccuracies in it, I objected to her claim that the war on terror is because of central asian pipelines, but it does not change the fact the Taliban kidnapped and murdered Captain Junaid, just like they had murdered soldiers, politicians, clerics, children and Pakistanis of all stripes.

So once again I condemn the Taliban and their supporters and hope they all go to Hell. Especially their covert supporters.

41. YLH says:
    August 9th, 2009 4:03 am

Dear Mr. Zuberi,

Seems like you are big taliban apologist for drawing that distinction between TTA and TTP.

There is no distinction. It exists in the minds of Pakistani expats alone.

Please stop this drama now.

42. YLH says:
    August 9th, 2009 4:21 am

PS seems like the oldest trick in the book- you can’t argue with the content, make ridiculous and baseless statements like this is “sensationalism”, the writing is “circuitous” and contradicts itself. Amazing! All because some people are upset that the TALIBAN are being. exposed for the liars and thugs that they are. This is the oldest trick in the book. Give the dog a bad name and hang him…

The article itself does not take a position one way or the other. The “matter of fact” statement is what was reported to the family. As with all things human, nothing can be certain and leaving door to the possibility open is that thing we call hope.

Who said this was journalism? This was a human story about a soldier of Pakistan killed at the hands of vicious fanatics THE TALIBAN who are the greatest enemies of Pakistan, Afghanistan and humanity.

I don’t believe in heaven, hell or anything like that but I do know what threatens this nation state, our livelihoods and our children. So I don’t give a damn what some expat enconsced in his comfy western apartment thinks of this article.

Well written Ms. Sarwari. May your tribe grow and prosper for Pakistan and for our children and their children’s children.

PAKISTAN ZINDABAd

43. November 18th, 2009 3:50 am

We should continue supporting the Taliban as they are the soldiers of Islam.

Ahamdollilah

44. salma says:
    December 14th, 2009 11:03 pm

i feel very bad for his parents bt onther sides cpt :jonaid made them proud…nt only thier parents bt also whole pakistani nation………………we salut himmmmm

45. Waqar says:
    January 5th, 2010 6:32 am

Actually, We need to understand the reality of the so-called Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan. Taliban is a Jihadi movement only for Afghanistan. They have never done any action outside Afghanistan. The TTP is actually a terrorist network backed by the RAW and Israelis. The mission is to destabilize Pakistan. Our security forces have enough proof that Indians are behind the TTP but they won’t share the evidence with anyone. Now that it has been months that the Pak Army started their crackdown on these thugs, they are close to defeat. They have lost the battle in Swat. Their only stronghold now is South Waziristan where the army is zeroing in on them from 3 sides. They can’t win this battle.

Pak Army Zindabaad.

46. MT says:
    February 20th, 2010 6:30 pm

Salut to Capt Jonaid.Pakistan Zindabad.
    Dahshat gard murdabad, here and after….

47. Hamid Shafiq says:
    May 20th, 2010 9:51 am

I salute to all my army jawans in malakand or any where in the country. Tehrike taliban pakistan is the party of fuckers, bastereds, dallas , dogs and those persons whose mothers all the time busy with other then own husbend. they give births and send to moulivees for gay life and then went to fighting just like in wazirastan. My Army brave soldiers fighting for country and for shahdaat to enter in heavens . Talibans must enter hell where they drink urines and stool of their parents. if Raw and Moosad involved then jews knows holucast where they are naked infront of many people they forget their past. if Raw involves then indian historians forget the history of mughal empire and muslim empire.
    i support to my country Army
    Hamid

48. L.Abedin says:
    June 1st, 2010 2:31 pm

Pak Army zindabad.

These men are the real shaheeds….

49. SYED AIZEEN ALI SHAH says:
    July 21st, 2010 6:44 am

PAKISTAN ZINDABAD,
    ALLAH pak junaid bhai ko jannat-e-firdos me ALA makam attta farmai aur in ki shahadat ko qaboll farmay,(Ameen),

i proud you capt junaid.
    ap jise log jb tak is dunia me ha us faqt tk koi bhi shetani soch wala hmara (muslim) ka kuch nai bigar skte..

Ap ko hm hmesha yad rakhe ge…………..

50. waseem zaidi says:
    September 30th, 2010 7:56 am

Assalam o Allakom
    jab main nai Capt Jonaid ki picture daikhi tu main nai socha
    in sb sai mulaqat ki jay or main 1 month sai search kar raha hon
    or aaj jab mugh per ya aqda khula tu mai bohat upsaid hon really
    main aap ko bata nahi sakta hon,
    Capt sb k waldain ko ALLAH hosla dai or un Ki SISTER to bhi is sadmay
    pr hosla dai
    or un ko apni jawar-e-Rehmat main jaga dai AMEEN

51. February 15th, 2011 3:59 pm

His martyrdom is another example how even Pakistan is losing its great sons who are talented and can do great favor for nation! Dogmatic muslims who support taliban should know that their religion has done much more harm than good to Pakistan.

My condolences for Capt. Jonaid Khan

52. SUMREEN N ANUM says:
    March 18th, 2011 6:05 pm

AOA,we both r v sad 2 watch all dis.

MAY ALLAH REST HIS SOUL IN PEACE,AMEEEN