An 85 Seconds Response to Despondency

Posted on March 20, 2010
Filed Under >Adil Najam, People, Poetry

I arrived back in Pakistan early on Friday and, as always happens, have been enjoying good food and frantic conversation ever since. The food I continue to enjoy. The conversations are increasingly disturbing. The palpable disenchatment, but even more than that a sense of despondency – the “we can do nothing” feeling – gets under your skin. And very quickly.

So, I did what I have done ever since I first stumbled upon this audio rendition back last August. I replayed and heard these 85 seconds of Zakintosh reciting his father’s wonderful poem.

For the last many months this little poem has provided me with frequent solace. Turning moments of despondency into a needed dose of introspection. I hope it might do so for our readers too.

If you have not heard it before, you must.

If you have heard it before, its certainly worth another listen.

It takes all of 1 minute and 25 seconds, and as we approach Pakistan Day, March 23, it is well worth hearing again. And again.

14 Comments on “An 85 Seconds Response to Despondency”

1. Jawed says:
    March 21st, 2010 4:42 am

What an excellent find. Simple and yet powerful. We should all think about this.

2. March 21st, 2010 4:44 am

Lovely, Adil. Thanks.

3. Omar Salam Ansari says:
    March 21st, 2010 8:10 am

Can someone post a written script of this poem online? Yes I am one of those people who still do not have speakers/headphones attached with their computers. There might be many like me around and then there are people around who can’t listen at all. Something should be shared with everybody.

4. March 21st, 2010 8:53 am

Like Jawed said ‘ Simple Yet powerful”.

What we have become, including me, is a country of preachers cum drawing-room-politicians cum finger-pointing-maniacs, always finding somebody else to blame.

5. Azra says:
    March 21st, 2010 8:57 am

Wise words indeed. And beautifully recited. Thank you.

I have found that those who complain the most are usually the ones who do the least!

6. SH Kavi says:
    March 21st, 2010 5:17 pm

shikvaa-e-zulmat-e-shab se to kahiiN behtar thaa
    apne hisse kii ko’ii shammaa jalaate jaate

Ahmed Faraz.

7. Naveed says:
    March 21st, 2010 6:44 pm

Yes, but what CAN an ordinary person do?

8. razia says:
    March 21st, 2010 10:26 pm

i know he is a persona non-grata on this blog but i find him a great source of hope, as do thousands upon thousands.

after listening to countless hrs, i find him inspiring. i don’t agree with him on every thing, but admire him for daring to dream. yes, i am talking about zaid hamid.

9. Ikramullah says:
    March 21st, 2010 11:29 pm

Very powerful. It is so much easier to criticsise others than do something ourselves. This is clear and simple and very very inspiring.

Simple rule in life: always be very very careful and worried about anyone who keeps telling yo about who your enemy is or who is against you and who is causing the problem. They are usually the ones trying to divert your attention from what you yourself can do by trying to create stories about how all your problems are about someone else. Such people are always the most dangeruous people.

10. Ahmer says:
    March 22nd, 2010 2:05 pm

Absolutely beautiful
    Every TV channel should run this every day, many times.
    Every Pakistani needs to listen to this.

11. Baig says:
    March 22nd, 2010 5:16 pm

Beautiful. Very very beautiful.

12. Watan Aziz says:
    March 22nd, 2010 7:19 pm

Frankly, I debated with myself and I lost the debate.

I have to ask.

So, while the advice is good and valid, but if you see an obvious wrong should you not stop the person from the wrong direction?

Or do I not?

Take for example, the headline, “An 85 Seconds Response to Despondency”.

Why the choice of this word? Why not Disconsolateness? Heartsickness? Depression? Blue Devils? Dejection? Sadness? Unhappiness? Despair? Disheartened?

On the other hand, what if the same blog would have used the word Hope?

“85 Seconds to Hope?”

“85 Seconds to Strength!”

“85 Seconds to Solutions!”

“85 Seconds to Fulfillment!”

“85 Seconds to Good Attitudes!”

“85 Seconds Inspiration!”

So, this begs the question, should I not ask or should I look for my own ghara? Should I say, “Adil, why spread Despondency instead of Hope?”

After all, I do believe in audacity of hope.

13. ayesha says:
    March 24th, 2010 12:45 am

Heard it for the first time and am blown away by the lucidity of the fact!!

14. Dr. Azra Haq says:
    March 26th, 2010 10:10 am

This is for Omer Salam Ansari and others with no audio attachments in their computers.
    Aik Latifa main sunaon, sunna chaho tum agar
    Sadiq aata hey ye bilkul ahle Pakistan per
    Aik din Akbar ne yeh Mula Dopiaza se kaha
    Hay wafadaar e haqumat jo bhe hay choota, bara
    Booley Mula youn yaqeen harghiz na laana chaheye
    Aik din sari reyayah aazamaana chaheye
    Dood se ye saamanee ka hauz bharwa deejiye
    Laa’en bhar ke ik ghara sab se ye farma deejiye
    Doseray din hauz main pani he pani tha bhara
    Ik zara se imtehaan main khul gaya khota khara
    Har koi samjah ke baqi loog jitne aa’ein gay
    Apne hisse ka ghara woh dood se bhar ja’ein gay
    Aik pani ka grara is main mil gaya mera too kiya
    Itni aamezish se akhir kaun parkha jaaey ga
    Tum ho Pakistan ke, ye hay tumhara he watan
    Iss ko rakho ya ujaro, hey tumhara he chaman
    Dooseray laten hain pani, unn ko be samjhaoo tum
    Unn ko samjhane se phelay, doodh khud to laao tum.