Sindhi Newspapers in Pakistan

Posted on October 24, 2008
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Society

Owais Mughal

I have recently started reading the internet editions of Sindhi newspapers and I find the standard of journalism there at par, if not better than Urdu and English. While Urdu and English media gets all the attention, Sindhi press is lesser recognized.

Awami Awaz SindhiIbrat Sindhi
Tameer i Sindh, SindhiHalchal, Sindhi

Sindhi newspapers cover all those items that one finds in national newspapers. Besides ‘aham khabrooN’ (important news), ‘wadheek khabrooN’ (more news) we can find business news, Showbiz, Sports, Editorials, cartoons, feature articles etc all in Sindhi newspapers. One obvious contrast between Urdu, English versus Sindhi newspapers however, is the news prioritization. Sometimes the headlines on Sindhi newspapers find a small place on back page of national dailies and vice versa.

Your Ad Here

On Irrigation Water Issues

One topic which I have consistently found appearing in bold in Sindhi newspapers is about the irrigation water. While Urdu press does not mention irrigation issues unless there is a flood or severe drought, water flow measurements at Sindh barrages make regular appearence in Sindhi news. Every few days I see a news item showing concern on depleting water levels at Guddu, Sukkur and desert like conditions downstream of Kotri. It shows that sharing of river water is a matter much more serious for Sindh than it gets its share on national media. This issue gets such a unanimous support in Sindhi press that I have not yet seen a single editorial in support of building new dams like Kalabagh etc. My guess is that in coming years, water sharing will become a major problem among provinces.

Who reads Sindhi Newspapers?

I believe the newspapers are alive and thriving because Sindhi is loved by the people who speak it and they prefer to get their news in Sindhi. Then there is another group of people whose mother tongue is not Sindhi but they like to read Sindhi newspapers in order to understand the regional perspective. I belong to this second group of people.

Sindhi newspapers also cater to the strong currents of Sindhi nationalism present in Sindh province.

Koshish, SindhiKawish, Sindhi
Shaam, SindhiHilal i Pakistan, Sindhi

The Sindh-Punjab Equation

Another thing which I have noticed in Sindhi newspaper is their stress on the Sindh-Punjab comparison. It is not a secret that smaller provinces feel that they have to compete with the larger province in every social and economic field to maintain their historical and current provincial identity. This feeling is reflected in provincial newspapers also where almost all Sindhi newspapers try to dwelve on Sindh-Punjab comparison or try to show the picture where smaller provinces are not being treated fairly.

There is a strong need of bringing Sindhi and other provincial issues at National level to build consensus on them which in turn will strengthen national harmony. Currently many hot issues brew up and remain hidden from people in larger cities because Urdu and English media does not cover them as well as Sindhi newspapers do. Translating important news from Sindhi to Urdu/English and getting them prime real state on National dailies is the need of the hour. Here I must mention that the daily Dawn does give a weekly review of Sindhi newspapers in its features section.

Current State of Sindhi Press

More than fifteen daily Sindhi newspapers are published in Pakistan with Hyderabad being the largest center of such publications. Karachi and Sukkur follow suit. Largest circulation belongs to Kawish.

Ibrat newspaper has a leaning or a soft corner towards Pakistan Peoples Party. It is circulated more among politically conscious readership. Kawish on the other hand is more of an awami(public) newspaper and has a larger circulation. Kawaish has recently ventured into TV media also and KTV channel belongs to them.

Brief History of Sindhi Press

The pioneers of journalism in Sindh were the Persian language newspapers. First Persian language newspaper started in Sindh in 1855. Its owner was Mirza Mukhlis Ali. In 1860, Mirza Mukhlis started a bilingual newspaper from Sukkur which printed one column in Persian and the other column contained its Sindhi translation. This newspaper was called ‘Matla Khursheed’ and is considered as the first Sindhi newspaper of the subcontinent. Matla Khursheed continued to publish until 1910.

The first Sindhi only newspaper was called ‘Moin-ul-Islam’ and it started its circulation in 1880. This was followed by various other papers such as Sind Sudhar, Muawan Majma, Saraswati, Aftab Sind, Kher Khoah, Musafir and Al Haq

The second period of Sindhi Journalism began with the publication of Al Hilal in 1901. The first Sindhi daily called Sind Wasi came out in 1908 and the second Hind Wasi in 1917. During this period a number of important papers were brought out which included Al Kashif, Al Ameen, Tauheed, Sitara-e-Sind and Subah Sind. This period culminated with publication of Al Waheed, the greatest Sindhi newspaper to date which was not only a newspaper but a movement and played a leading role in the establishment of Pakistan. Sheikh Abdul Majid Sindhi, Maulana Din Mohammad Wafai, Prof. Din Mohammad Alig, Pir Ali Mohammad Rashidi and Kazi Abdur Rehman were some of the stalwarts of journalism at the time who with their pens raised the consciousness of the people and made them aware of their rights.

Hilal-e-Pakistan began publication in 1946 at Hyderabad. It also mobilized people in favor of Pakistan. Hilal-e-Pakistan is probably the only Sindhi newspaper which has offices in Islamabad and Lahore also.

After independence of Pakistan several new papers came into existence, including Naeen Sind, Mehran, Azad, Nawai Sind.

List of current Sindhi Newspapers

11. Halar
  12. Sham
  13. Koshish
  14. Tameer-e-Sindh
  15. Halchal
  16. The Daily Nijat: Sukkur, Karachi

(1) Material for “Brief History of Sindhi Newspapers” has been taken from an article “Sindhi Press in Pakistan” written by Shahida Mirza
(2) ‘aaj ka Sindh’ by Mahmood Mirza.

110 Comments on “Sindhi Newspapers in Pakistan”

1. Saif says:
    April 5th, 2007 1:28 am

I wish people in Punjab could read Sindhi newspapers. We mostly look at Pakistan from Punjabi or Karachi perspective and do not get the correct picture of the problems and issues in the country.

You have mentioned the importance the Sindhi newspapers give to the readings of water flow in the rivers. That should give us some idea of why Sindhis are so much against the Kalabagh and other dams.

2. Saad says:
    April 5th, 2007 1:55 am

The onus is on the people from Punjab to try to understand the issue with the perspective of other provinces as well instead of blindly following the federal government.

I wish some of these Sindhi writers could write for National press in order to highlight Sindh’s water problems.

3. rabia says:
    April 5th, 2007 2:05 am

thank you for the article – very informative.

the article makes a very important point. these issues that are currently being covered extrensively by the regional press need to be given due attention by the press -both english and urdu. this will allow a more well-informed debate on water-related and other issues at the national level.

at the same time, the regional press should look beyond a one-dimensional punjab versus sindh focus which charts every issue in reductionist terms.

4. younas says:
    April 5th, 2007 5:31 am

Author did not mention kavesh tv off shoot from kavesh Daily newspaper, Kavesh TV is bridging the gap between pakistanis and Indian Sindhis ,millions of hindu sindhis are living in india, they still consider their identity as sindh. their love for jhollay lal, and shah latif.
    we can spread message of love to them

5. Naveed says:
    April 5th, 2007 10:14 am

Owais, if you are a non-Sindhi speaker as you wrote earlier, then it is very admirable that you follow the Sindhi press… We have seen enough evidence on Pakistaniat that there are people geniunely interested in wanting to understand problems that are close to inhabitants of the Sindh province…We as Sindhis have done a pretty lousy job to have public issues known to non-Sindhis. Younas has mentioned that some Sindhi newspapers have offshot cable channels like KTN, Kashish but somehow these two channels have fallen into the trap of perpetuating stereotypes in the form of violent wadera drama shows & cheezy pop songs. Sindh TV is pretty decent and investigative journalism of top quality and so direct in their approach that it is painful to watch abject poverty in remote villages in the province…. but thanks for reminding me of a promise made to my father, who was associated with the sindhi press in the 70′s that I translate an article that appeared in the Kawish last year… It is a fairly long and detailed write-up and the first few paragraphs are posted on my blog

6. Najam says:
    April 5th, 2007 12:02 pm

Thanks for such an informative article. It is really a good effort to actually devote some time to learn whats happening in our province. I am a Karachite and I have studied Sindhi at the basic level, as most students from our age group have, but I cant actually read the news paper to really get the sense.

7. khair soomro says:
    April 5th, 2007 12:34 pm

I really appreciate Owais Mughal’s post. I think it is very important for people of Pakistan to understand each other. And, what can be better way of knowing each other than reading vernacular press, which truely express the problems as well as aspiration of the people concerned. However let me make certain minor corrections in Mr. Mughal’s post.
    1. Both Ibrat and Kawish belong to Qazi family. There is no such thing as Qazi Group. The owners of Ibrat and Kawish are cousins.
    2. The TV channel belonging to Kawish Group is called KTN (Kawish Television Network) not KTV.
    3. Kawish is certainly the largest circulated paper but Hilal Pakistan is not the third largest circulated paper as its circulation is not more than one thousand copies after it was taken over by pro-government Shirazi Group.
    4. The person in cartoon call himself peon(chaprasi) not clerk.
    5. Certainly, Sindhi newspapers focus on issues concerned with people of Sindh. But it is erroneous to say that Sindhi paper gives “stress on the Sindh-Punjab comparison”. There countless issues in Sindh to stress upon.
    Yes, those who want to read Sindhi articles in Punjabi, there is a great effort done by
    by translating Sindhi article in Punjabi and vice versa. Must go through it.

April 5th, 2007 12:37 pm

Dear Younas, I’ve added a line mentioning KTV belonging to Kawish newsgroup. I didn’t mention it earlier or in further detail now, because I want to keep my original discussion limited to Sindhi News press. Discussion on Sindhi magazines, other print media and TV requires a thorough post and my knowledge is still limited there. I appreciate that you came to our (and yours) Pakistaniat website and took time to read through the article. plz continue to do so.

April 5th, 2007 12:49 pm

Khair Soomro Saheb. Thanks for reading through the article. On your suggestion, I have made corrections on Kawish/Ibrat and Hilal-e-Pakistan’s circulation. I have also corrected my translation of ‘PaTaywalo’ from a clerk to a peon. You can see my academic command on sindhi is still not perfect :) I will however, keep my opinion on Sindh-Punjab comparison because that is something I have noticed myself and I know it exists in Sindhi newspapers.

I appreciate your comments and corrections.

10. April 5th, 2007 3:32 pm

A wonderful and well-researched article. Sindhi newspapers certainly give their readers a chance to know abt issues that otherwise go unnoticed.

11. April 5th, 2007 4:09 pm

Must say I was intrigued by the names ‘Kawish’ and ‘Koshish’. Being so similar I wondered whether they were names so because of each other… i.e., either because of a rivalry between owners or a synergy?

12. Eidee Man says:
    April 6th, 2007 12:03 am

Adil, Kawish has been around for a very long time…I don’t remember a time when it wasn’t around.

Anyway, good job Owais.

13. Naveed says:
    April 6th, 2007 2:28 am

dear khair soomro & owais, on a complete tangent, there is a natural affinity of sindhi diction to punjabi; the best translation of Shah Jo Risalo, in my humble opinion, has been into Punjabi by a Sikh gentleman. This in itself deserves a blog so my evil mind is at work…something to do over the weekend

14. khair soomro says:
    April 6th, 2007 4:51 am

Dear Adil, Kawish and Koshis have similar names because both belong to same group. Owners of this group of newspapers, Ali Qazi and Aslam Qazi, also own five newspapers including one in English, one digest and two Television channels ie KTN and Kashish. They are also going to launch another Sindhi News TV channel.

15. April 6th, 2007 10:56 am

Great Post Owais,

Being a non-Sindhi and a Karachite I would like to congratulate you for putting up such a great post. I think is one step moving towards a right direction. Being myself a Karachite, we always fond of reading Jang , Jasarat , Nawai waqt and DAWN but I myself never got an exposure to the Sindhi Newspapers.

Most Urdu Newspapers never used to give proper coverage of the issues of the Interior Sindh. Hopefully with the coming of the new media outlets, the issues are being highlighted.

Seeing these newspapers provided a much needed breath of fresh air. Although my Sindhi is not as good as Owais but atleast I can read the newspaper. Thanks to our Sindhi subject teacher who worked hard on us.

16. April 6th, 2007 11:04 am

Years ago I did a detailed study (resulting in a short booklet) on media in Pakistan that reviewed circulations, impacts, etc. One think that stood out was just how vibrant the Sindhi and the Gujarati newspapers were but there were NO local language newspapers in other languages. part of this can be literacy. But only a part. Any ideas on what might explain this?

17. MQ says:
    April 6th, 2007 11:14 am

The obvious answer is that Sindhi language is more developed than other regional languages.

18. khair soomro says:
    April 6th, 2007 11:54 am

Dear Adil, the reason Sindhi has very vibrant press is that Sindhi has long history and tradition of imparting education in Sindhi. The script for Sindhi language was developed by British more than a century ago. Since then from judicial system to revenue and from literature to agriculture, Sindhi language has been used. Before partition almost whole Bengali literature and a major portion of English literature was translated in Sindhi. Books on almost every subjects are available in Sindhi. Even today hundreds of books in Sindhi are published on subjects from history to religion and from science to medicine. Sindhi newspapers have loyal readership of more than two hundred thousand ( Two lakhs) readers. There are four channels in Sindhi and more are coming. There are about seven FM Radio station airing content in Sindhi. Sindhi has also significant presence on internet.
    I am thinking on having a post on languages of Pakistan on net. Any suggestions?

April 6th, 2007 1:03 pm

On a side note, While Sindhi press is increasing its circulation, Gujrati press is on the decline. Until say 15 years ago seeing Dawn’s Gujrati edition used to be a common sight but not anymore. Parsi community in Karachi was the most loyal readers of Gujrati newspapers. Their readership number is dwindling or atleast not increasing. The 3rd or 4th generation of people whose parents migrated from Indian Gujrat in 1947 doesn’t know how to read or write Gujrati. For all practical purposes (and thus in news media also) Urdu is now the lingua-franca. I am proud that Urdu has come this far and it is the one medium in which all Pakistanis can communicate but it has indeed come at the expense of declining regional languages.

April 6th, 2007 7:35 pm

Dawn’s coverage of Sindhi news of the week:

21. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    April 7th, 2007 9:20 am

“For all practical purposes Urdu is now the lingua-franca.” Owais Mughal.

Owais I am with you. All Pakistanis, regardless of what their mother tongue is, must be able to communicate freely with each other. Along side our many regional languages, we need a ‘Lingua Franca’. I propose let there be a “Pakistani Urdu Language” incorporating elements of all the regional languages. I also propose that in Punjab, where two third of the Pakistanis live, the students from grade 9 to 12 must be taught one introductory course in each of the other major regional languages. There is a dire need of national integration. Let language be one of the tools for that.

22. Saad says:
    April 7th, 2007 9:33 am

[quote]eidee man:Adil, Kawish has been around for a very long time[unquote]

Actually daily Ibrat is even older. What do you guys actually think about the coverage offered by Ibraat and Kavish?

23. Aqil Sajjad says:
    April 7th, 2007 9:39 pm

Daily Ibrat???
    Yeh itna ibrat naak naam rakhnay kee kia zaroorat thee? :)

24. Naveed says:
    April 9th, 2007 8:00 am

MQ – There is a lot of readership of Sindhi but I do not think that other regional languages are inferior in any way. When I watch Khyber TV (and the more I watch the more I understand the language) that Pushto language sounds equally rich and from its literature it is evident of Pushto is not far behind. Have already indicated that the Punjabi translations that I have read are extremely impressive. Regional languages unfortunately have fallen victim to the debate about national language and official patronage. After the advent of cable TV and multiple channels available for Pushto, Baluchi, Seraiki, Punjabi & Sindhi, we are discovering a whole new word. All these languages can bring people together.
    Aqil Sajjad – Ibrat is indeed a shocking word but not less shocking than Jang. I remember reading a daily urdu newspaper in the 70s called AMN and their motto written right on top was “Jang say nafrat, Amn say mohabat”; probably an intentional hint at their biggest competitor the daily Jang

25. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    April 9th, 2007 10:16 am

“Aqil Sajjad – Ibrat is indeed a shocking word but not less shocking than Jang.”

Naveed: Here the word Jang does not mean fight or war if that is what you are referring to. Here the word Jang means State or Affairs of the State. Jang is a Persian word and has many meaning like, a ship, a collection of prose or poetry, etc. etc.

26. Anwar says:
    April 9th, 2007 3:21 pm

I had only a superficial familiarity of the problems of Sindh until a Sindhi became part of our family about 20 years ago. First hand knowledge I gleaned from him gave me a better understanding of what Sindh has been all about. My association with other friends rooted in Sindh has also been very fruitful.
    Sindh is indeed a land of intellectuals in par with Bengal. It was a delight to see the vibrancey of Sindy press.
    While I agree with Pervaiz Alvi that regional languages be taught as required courses in the country, I am not sure it will work well in Punjab – afterall Punjab was first to embrace Urdu with open arms..

27. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    April 10th, 2007 9:18 am

Anwar: While other regions are sensitive on the subject of language, Punjab in general, since the arrival of Islam and Muslims, has not used Punjabi as a medium of instructions; it has always been the Arabic, Persian, English and Urdu. As a result while the ‘schooled punjabis’ along with Punjabi use Urdu and English as a way of communication, the ‘unschooled punjabis’ can only communicate in their native tongue. Now if rest of the country adopts Urdu and English as mediums of instruction and ‘schooling’ is made mandatory then all of its population will be able to communicate with each other and soon the country will have its own ‘Lingua Franca’ which I call “Pakistani Urdu Language”. In the absence of that I propose that grade 9 to 12 students in Punjab be exposed to the major regional languages of the country so that at least two-third of Pakistanis have the minimum level of some understanding of the regional languages of the country. The bottom line is education. Each and every child in Pakistan must be ‘schooled’.

28. Anwar says:
    April 10th, 2007 12:22 pm

Good suggestion Peraiz. I grew up reading “Nakoosh” and “Lail-o-Nehar”, and in the early days “Urdu Digest” but now to read Urdu I have to pull out old poetry and prose books from my study. Few years ago I gave up reading modern “new age” Urdu altogether as my vacabulary did not include reading English trnasliterated in Urdu. While Urdu culture from across the border has overwhelmed the country, Urdu as a language has lost grounds to English – much like Piggen spoken in Papua New Guinea. This is typical of weak or artificial languages that do not have strong traditional and historic foundations.

Regarding your observations of Urdu in Punjab,I must add tht Punjab has traditionally served the power in place. It is interesting to note that persian, even after a strong presence of Mughals, did not take root but Urdu caught up as Punjabi elite realized who the power brokers were in new setting. Furthermore, in Pakistan, a “danishwer” was supposed to be “Ahl-e-zuban,” a race for elite status many in Punjab got into while the rest of the provinces retained their pride in original languages.
    What is interesting is that in the households of my Pathan friends I always hear Pushto, my Sindhi friends always communicate in Sindhi, Persian friends speak pure persian, so do Arabs , but my friends from Punjab encourage their children to speak Urdu only – and the kids speak adulterated Urdu and no Punjabi.Even my Afghani in-laws settled in Lahore for generations communicate in Persian. This shows how anchored people are in strong languages rooted in history.
    Therefore to push for Urdu as a savior language may not be useful. It was a “Lashkari Zuban” brought into existance by circustances of time. If Qaid-e-Azam had taken advice of Sir Agha Khan and had declared Arabic as a national language, we may have had a united country and perhaps no bloodshed of 1971, and later in Sindh. Being a language of the faith, Arabic would have produced a cohesive Pakistan. Something that Urdu will never be able to deliver. But it is too late. Let us enjoy for what is left.

29. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    April 10th, 2007 2:25 pm

Anwar: Punjab is very unlike the other parts of Pakistan. Punjab is where two-thirds of the Pakistanis live. Punjab is where every one comes to for one reason or the other and settles down and their next generation becomes “Punjabi”. That is the beauty of Punjab. At the same time Punjabis, both old and new, have little problem adopting Urdu as their language no matter in what form. There are many internal and external dynamics at work here. No need to fight the hands of the clock. Let every one keep and speak what ever language they wish. But in case of Punjab expose students to the other regional languages as well. Sooner or later one common Pakistani language will emerge. Call it ‘Lingua-Franca’. Call it ‘Pakistani’. Call it what may. But people from one part of the country must be able to communicate with people from other parts of the country. People who are able to communicate with each other are able to better understand each other.

April 12th, 2007 10:17 pm

Last week’s Sindhi newspaper recap by Dawn:

April 24th, 2007 4:57 pm

Last week’s Sindhi newspaper recap by Dawn:

April 25th, 2007 8:58 am

I Was glad to note that 9 daily sindhi papers are still being published from pakistan and congratulate the publishers for keeping the flame of sindhyat alive and it will remain on till next millenium
    pishu khushalani

33. younas says:
    April 25th, 2007 9:37 am

Glad to here from Sindhi Hindus in india
    I am a muslim but consider hindus as my brothers, one of my dearest brother Dr Ghansham parkash is a Pakistani Sindhi imprisoned by General Zia Ul Haq for 6 years, he is from Kashmore sindh basically, had to go underground due to religious fanatics,lost touch with him
    may be he is in india may be any european country
    if some one can help in getting contact with him will appreciate.

Dr Ghansham parkash is graduate of Chandka medical college larkana sindh, once president of DSF (democratic student federation Pakistan -sindh chapter

34. Rakesh says:
    April 27th, 2007 2:35 pm

Sindhi press is indeed a resourceful media for people living in inner-corners of Sindh.

Besides, it is wonderful to see people like yourself taking note of the on-goings there. I thought, only Sindhi’s – like myself – read these newspapers.

But one thing which I am always worried about this media is that it is always at a tangent (or somewhat at a less degree) to what is going on in overall scenario. Most of the Sindhi newspapers – except a handful – are not producing comprehensive coverage on the whole spectrum of issues and they require modernization.

Maybe they can start by getting more and more content online. By modernizing their editing procedures, by recruiting more reporters around and maybe collaborating with media in other languages as well. This all requires a lot of $$$ but they need to start doing all this in one or the other form to survive the next revolution in this business. There are a few established one’s already. Kawish group even has three TV channels under their belt and they are fastly becoming the media giants of the region.

I would like to mention another good resource for your reading pleasure. It is a Sindhi blog of a Sindhi Professor, Dr. Gul Agha at University of Illinois, US. He blogs about a lot of scientific issues and I am a fond reader. Here’s the link:

April 27th, 2007 11:23 pm

Good analysis Rakesh. Also thanks for introducing Dr Gul Agha’s blog.

May 4th, 2007 10:54 pm

Sindhi Unicode developed

HYDERABAD, May 3: The Institute of Information Technology (IIT) of the University of Sindh had succeeded in developing a Sindhi Unicode system to help write Emails in Sindhi language, announced IIT Prof Dr. Imdad Ismaili on Thursday.

The professor said that the Unicode in Sindhi would help people write Email in Sindhi. The new developed Unicode would also help Sindhi composing and do great benefit to researchers.

He said that under the developed Unicode they had also developed Microsoft office in Sindhi language while the system would help in Sindhi composing with voice, and correction in Sindhi words.

37. sanaullah soomro says:
    September 11th, 2007 1:45 am

thanks to the whole team working in the nawish newspaper for giving us updates news…
    i specially pray for the kawish team for their development..

38. ashraf says:
    September 13th, 2007 2:13 am

i am urduspeaking sindhi i love my sindh motherland sindhi is my national language i read sindhi newspapers also same as urdu i proud tobe sindhi my culture history really great i love my national poet shah latif.

39. September 28th, 2007 5:39 am

hi how are you iam naveed razak mastoi iam form moro sindh iam iam student for ix classs i live at moro and iam computer teacher in shama institute of information technology moro sindh.

40. Reema says:
    October 3rd, 2007 10:05 pm

General Musharf has decided to elect a new PM to be Benizir Bhutto and in the opposition will be Shaukat Aziz and chaudhry Shujaat Opposed. I have got this news from the people. Is this correct or not ?

41. Reema says:
    October 3rd, 2007 10:09 pm

The stadium of larkana city was in a cricitical conditions for many years after the thousands application they only establish only the lights. not to make a groud better
    What will happen if the our sports grounds are in these conditions how will the Pakistan won world cup if our Players going to leave the cricket . there having no facilities this game has become the game of curse.

42. Reema says:
    October 3rd, 2007 10:32 pm

I appeal to whole the sindhi media and nation that Pakistani Politics is going to take only their profits so you all the people must be carefull and only give vote to those who have the value for our sindhi nation. other wise donot give to them votes to them who are only sitting for getting their own purposes.

Media is not in a complete freedom. I Pray to Allah Almighty that when media is freed then all dishonest, unsincere, enemy of the Pakistan, corrupted person who snatches the rights will be exposed. That day will be the last day of their corruption and due to media all those people will disappear from the Assemblies, from the police and from all other institutions.

43. Reema says:
    October 4th, 2007 11:29 am

The Larkana City
    The city of heaven became hell the city of garden became a jungle ,city of education became ignorance, city of justice became unjustice, City of light became anorchy , city of games became the city of death games , Due to corrupted Administration that city is changing day by day.
    Our larkanian people must arise their voice against this corrupted people. Each and every thing and beauty of Larkana has been looted by those people who did not want to make it as a Paris According to the Opinion Of Zulfikar Ali bhutto .
    The city named as Larkana is the place of those leaders. from them the our former Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto Also belongs to this city. But when he got his Post of Prime Minister then once he came to Larkana city and was passing from the bazar then the an old man the fakeer wanted to meet him due to heavy rush of people he did not move from his position and he shouted and called bhutto be stop here. And Bhutto laid down from his car and met to that fakeer . and gave him the one thousand in chairity.and the Bhutto requested Fakeer that oh Fakeer please pray to Allah for me then the fakeer replied that Allah has rewarded you with his blessings and have given you the post of PM and you are till demanding many others. what Should Allah give you .Give me your post of PM to me And take my fakeeri post

from mentioned real storey of ZA bhutto we ourselves can see the difference what was the role of PM in Past time and What is the role of Currrent PM .

In that Government the Begger was giving the orders to PM that If you are not agree then leave this post. But nowadays if the media is reporting against them then the media is to brobeaten and tortured by the Government forces

In the time what was the dare of the begger and they had cofidence and courage how to get our rights from this man
    and they were understanding the PM that He is our servant
    But Nowadays PM is understanding that nation is foolish and they are our servants

I appeal to every Pakistani . If in your Mohalla, In your city, In your District, in Your province, in your Pakistan If the Administration is not doing better works for you then make a nation case against them.

October 28th, 2007 2:15 pm

The link to Mr. Mahmood Mirza’s book ‘aaj ka Sindh’ is here. Same link is added in the reference section of this post.

45. November 3rd, 2007 9:50 am

Hi its me Saleem please emergenct are announced in pakistan bhaj t bhajooon …………………….

46. mansoor ahmed chachar says:
    November 5th, 2007 10:37 pm

yeh jo pakistan ka halat hein bus uss ko khuda hi theek kry aur mujhy kagta hy k mushraf apny wady per kaim aur daim hein INSHALLAH woh jaldi wardi utray dein gy aur pakistan mein election bi waqt per zaroor hoongy aur INSHALLAH benazir prime minister hogi.

47. faisal says:
    November 6th, 2007 4:52 am

Hi guys wanted to tell you that there is now a regional english newspaper called The Regional Times of Sindh which is also being taken out by a member of the Kazi family. It is often described by many as an English version of a Sindhi newspaper as it gives a lot more focus on issues facing Sindh while at the same time being a compreshensive paper with a regional perspective. I find it really interesting and apparently it is being widely circulated throughout Sindh because it has a low cover price of only Rs. 5. It is also available in Islamabad and can be viewed on the web at thought you all might want to check it out especially for many Sindhis and non Sindhis who can’t read Sindhi. regards Faisal

48. November 10th, 2007 7:36 am

Dear younas,
    you may contact with Dr. Ghansham Parkhash through following email address:

49. kamran ali dayo says:
    November 23rd, 2007 10:06 am

dear friend
    me aap ko bata na chahata ho ki aj kal humare city larkana sindh ki commerce collige me jo fees me azafa kiya gaya hai.
    as ki waja se jo gareeb students admission nahi karwa sakti,
    me os collige me me panta ho our jo fees pahilie 1.500 wo ab 1.900 hogayi hai kiya yeh gareeb logo pe zulm nahi hai,
    me kahta ho kiya yeh insaaf kar rahi hai ,
    me e.d.o our doosri officers se kah rahsa ho ki woh humare collige ki fees kam kare
    aap ka dost kamran ali dayo

50. Muhammad Bilal says:
    November 23rd, 2007 7:40 pm

Keep It Up !

51. November 24th, 2007 6:51 am

hi dr jabar nice tosee u on net iblong to haripur now iam uk you send me mailing address

52. November 25th, 2007 11:53 pm

great very infromative article but why not mentioned sindhi online magzine here these are aound dozen plus.

November 26th, 2007 12:01 am

Moosa Saheb, plz feel free to provide links to online Sindhi magazines that you mentioned.

54. King W says:
    November 26th, 2007 4:01 am

I think discrimination with Sindh is throughout Punjab and Frontier. It is mostly because of the policies that clearly differentiates Sindh with other provinces. If policies were balanced by the government then the discrimination probably cannot exist. The discrimination with Sindh is two fold. One at province level the other inter-city. Urdu speaking of Karachi are well-known in keeping their ears away from the basic rights of Sindh. They sought refuge in Sindh after the creation of Pakistan but they never became a part of Sindhi culture.

55. shakoor Qazi says:
    December 13th, 2007 6:23 am

56. December 26th, 2007 2:07 am

There are many news paper are publis daily from sindh, it shows that future of sindh will be bright Inshallah.

57. ali says:
    January 4th, 2008 3:40 am

please see this blog

58. January 24th, 2008 2:52 pm

daily nijat is the well responseble newspaper of sindhi lenguge published from karachi and sukkur i think u must be include this newspaper in ur list

January 24th, 2008 2:57 pm

Dear Tofique, what is the web address of Daily Nijaat?

January 24th, 2008 3:22 pm

Dear Tofique, I found out the URL for the Daily Nijat, Sukkur. It is:

I have also added above in the post. It is at #16 in the list of Sindhi newspapers. Thanks a lot for bringing it to our attention

61. Mushtaq Ahmad says:
    February 10th, 2008 12:30 pm

Your work is praise worthy. I am a student of UET Lahore but basically from Ghotki Sindh. keep working bye

62. Mansoor Ali Rind says:
    February 28th, 2008 4:32 am

that good……….

63. March 5th, 2008 9:46 am

As the Pakistani I donot condem my government but I only can show you some mistakes of the pakistani government but they have only created problems for us and Not only they support to the peace but they also victmize the citizens of the Pakistan and we only can say that they have created alot of the problems and there is nolaw by which they can amend the mistakes and shortcommings so We are as the teachers and students can no study and teach to students because no facilities are here available to us and due to noise pollution of rikshwas and smoke pollution of rikshaws we can not study and teach to students and the most important thing is that government has not taken issue about many years and I also condem the media they only take the politicians of Pakistan and donot take these matters of Pollution I am residence of Larkana city and I appeal to you that you will arise my voice on the Pakistani land And give them the sujjestions that they must take issue only in the Larkana city as we teach the students and we may live the happiness
    And there is alot of Pollution in larkana city in the sight of my eyes I see that In all over the world Larkana city is victmised by all governments
    I say to you as the sindhi Please make the larkana city so well as this was before we not feeling safe from every aspect to larkana city
    If our media is sincere to the nation so please take this issue of noise pollution in larkana city
    and take notice of that things in the colonies the open gas shoped are opened so I also request you that these gas shops must be lifted from the city and it must be away from larkana city

64. sajjad says:
    March 10th, 2008 2:17 am

very good news paper

65. Imran Abdul Hadi Memon says:
    March 23rd, 2008 10:01 am

Excellent-keep it up

66. Moazam Sindhi says:
    April 6th, 2008 1:55 am

Hinna Janam hun janam mein wachan tho kariyaan mein jite bhi hujaan sindh tuhinjaan hujaaan…

67. mazhar ali bhayo says:
    April 12th, 2008 11:50 am

so nice the web site is. so keep it up.

68. Khalil Ahmed Pitafi says:
    April 30th, 2008 12:01 am

its so good, we can read it by sitting in our homes without going in bazar.

69. dr gul hassan sethar says:
    May 7th, 2008 6:21 pm

i am working in kuwait.i love sindh&sindhi.the only source of information for me the newspapers.really i love my sindh&miss my culture.

70. Khalid Iqbal Talpur says:
    May 8th, 2008 3:36 am

Wonderful,Excellent.Very informative.Delighted to know about history of sindhi journalism.

71. rahim says:
    May 18th, 2008 11:38 am

72. G Nabi says:
    May 24th, 2008 8:10 am

hi all dost iam G Nabi Iam From Moro Sindh Iam Students For Sir Naveed RazaK Mastoi (S.i.t Computer Center Moro Sindh)0333-7082070 (0242-410600/0242-521691)
    My Number (0301-6378817) Ok By

73. raza ali khan says:
    October 25th, 2008 4:27 am

Is there a modern sindhi language newspaper that takes a contrarian view of the sindhi issues in your blog? Or are they harping a sindhi nationalist / anti-Pakistani mantra.

74. October 25th, 2008 7:43 am

Hai im sindhi, i read kaavish. mostly kaawish and ibrat is largely and most popular in sinds cities and towns. any ways if you are interested in reading more please visit my blog

75. October 25th, 2008 5:40 pm

really awsome post about the Sindhi Newspapers, you are becoming the encyclopedia of Pakistan.

I appreciate it.

76. Granddaughter of Shaikh Abdul Majid Sindhi says:
    March 7th, 2009 9:47 pm

Salaam to all, I am the great grand daughter of Shaikh Abdul Majid Sindhi. My grandmother Zohra Naseem was his daughter from his first marriage. I just wanted to say that my great grand father was a great journalist who wrote in the sindhi newspaper ‘Al-Waheed’ , and was an inspiration. My grandmother Zohra passed away a few years ago, and i remember as a child she told great stories of her life. It’s a priviledge to see his name spoken fondly of.

March 7th, 2009 10:23 pm

Shaikh Abdul Majid Sindhi is indeed one of the greatest name among journalists of Sindh as well as leaders of Pakistan Movement from Sindh. Good to hear from his great grand daughter here. I also want to add that it was Shaikh Abdul Majid Sindhi who passed a pro-Pakistan resolution in 1938 in Karachi which was later renamed as the Pakistan Resolution in Muslim League’s Lahore meeting of 1940.

78. April 26th, 2009 4:26 am

i like sindh

79. Maroof says:
    May 4th, 2009 2:57 am

thanxxxx share to sindhi news papers links….. gud work

80. Tariq Ujjan says:
    July 3rd, 2009 9:53 am

To all readers I like Kawish News paper Very Much, its too good they Have (Qazi Brothers) started Sindhi News Channels.
    I congratulate to All There Kawish and Koshish.

I appreciate.

81. Gul Baig Gurgej says:
    July 13th, 2009 12:35 am

I tried to read Sindhi newspapers i.e. Kawish and Awami awaz on net; but I was frightened of harming my computer through an expected virus. Actually I want to write articles on different topics for these newspapers.

82. ameer says:
    July 21st, 2009 4:12 am

owais uncle conguraliton you are success on your work & thank s for this website

July 21st, 2009 11:04 am

Uncle :)?? Ameer, aao ba aohaaN jo nandRo bhaayer aahiaaN

84. Agha Waseem Ahmed says:
    July 21st, 2009 3:26 pm

Though one of my optional subjects in CSS was Urdu Literature (other ones being Geography and Journalism) ,however ,infront of interview committee headed by General Mumtaz Gul I alomost forgot about the interview strategy and when exposed to very much expected question “Which one is your favourite Newspaper?” I just thought about a second and instead of naming “New york Times” ,”Khalij Times” DAWN or Jang I seemingly made a obvious blunder (as many of my friends then called it) and said “Kaawaish”. I can still recall distorted faces of committee members . It took them almost half a minute for them to regain their composure to go for a cascade of harsh questions , “Why Kawsih and why not that ,blah blah blah, ?”. It was really my turn then to change the direction of interview against the whole formidable bunch of seasoned Civil and Military beaurocrates who in the end were satisfied with my answers. Though after the interview my friends and even I were expecting the worst but the results were quite the contrary , I was amongst the top ten candidates who had secured highest score in the interview.

Well, it was just a blunder then that turned to be in my favour but after these years ,now I think I was right, Sindhi journalism has proved it be very equal to its National and international contemporaries as for as the content and quality of news and analysis is concerned. It is more progressive and more responsive to the changes around it, Bringing awareness to its readers making them more informed to help them make informed decisions. A lot can be said about role and contribution of Sindhi journalism in changing the political, cultural, economic and social scenario of Sindh though many can blame it for lot of things against so called greater national interest !

July 21st, 2009 3:53 pm

Waseem, interesting recall of your CSS interview :) I agree that Sindhi newspapers have been relatively more progressive as compared to national newspapers. Hilal-e-Pakistan has remained my favourite Sindhi paper.

86. kazim ali says:
    September 29th, 2009 2:16 pm

Dear, You have done praising job of putting History of Sindhi newspapers on site… i salute you.. God bless You

87. Jailesh says:
    November 12th, 2009 4:26 am

I have need 9th nov 2009 news paper what should I do?

88. Mushtaque Ahmed says:
    December 8th, 2009 4:14 am

sir ap ka repoter Qari Taj Mohmmad ye bara black mailer he apki koshish news paper ko badnam kar raha he is ke member ship khatam ke jai ap ki mehrbani hongi hum sindhio par sir God bless u

89. I .Q. Qazi says:
    January 25th, 2010 2:07 pm

It is sorry to put down here a note for the Mangers of Sindhi Press that it is experienced that they released their paper on net very late mostly they upload the fresh paper not before the half day went off. where as the Jang urdu paper keep on up loading right from the printing process .

Can the Sindhi paper readers hope that they fallow the foot steps of Jang and ensure that the papers will be available on the net early in the morning .

90. sindh says:
    February 8th, 2010 5:59 pm
  91. Amir Bux Jarwar says:
    March 10th, 2010 2:02 am

plz i reporter all news sindhi papers so plz contact me email address mijarwar

92. April 13th, 2010 10:36 am

aslam o alikm. i m national athlete of pakistan. & completed peace walk from karachi to prime minister house islamabad in 24 dsys . now i want to join jounalist field. plz some thing 4 me better. i m greguate. i live in karachi.
    ali arslan saleem

93. faraz says:
    May 18th, 2010 6:21 pm

there is also a Sindhi newspaper which is not mentioned on this site and its name is SINDH TIMES daily Sindhi from Karachi and Hyderabad. thanks.

May 19th, 2010 11:17 am

Faraz. do you know the website of Sindh Times?

95. Sonia says:
    June 3rd, 2010 4:06 am

Salam !

Your list of newspapers is great. Please also add in your list of Pakistani newspapers. is a very good urdu newspaper in Pakistan.

Best Regards

96. tufail ahmed says:
    July 27th, 2010 10:10 pm

dear sain i want to send u one articale about benazir s assecination with subject ;;;; waqe mai jindo ge ghearat zardari te bhare ahe ;;;;; sain unwan man samghe via honda ta detail thoro sakhat hondi cha awan azad media shaya kanda ta aoun moklian thanks pl jawab denda

97. ali arslan saleem says:
    July 28th, 2010 7:56 am

ali arslan saleem

98. HASSAN says:
    December 2nd, 2010 7:53 am

Very good site and very nice…..

99. g.m pitafi says:
    April 4th, 2011 8:39 am

I l0ve sindh amar

100. seema mirani says:
    June 11th, 2011 12:43 pm

101. aslam ali mirani says:
    June 11th, 2011 12:45 pm

102. aslam ali mirani says:
    June 11th, 2011 12:45 pm

103. July 13th, 2011 4:07 pm

all the journalist of sindh ,to invaite the membership of sindh press club plz. contact,0300-7064080

104. July 13th, 2011 4:10 pm

salim ahmed
    sindh press club

105. July 13th, 2011 4:20 pm

assalamu alikum
    karachi or sindh k sahafiyon k haqooq, tahafz ki jidho jahid liye sindh press club (org)ki buniyad rukh dee gaie hai. app b humare member ban ker iss karwan main shamil ho sukte hain.
    salim ahmed
    president sindh press club
    contact No. 34812729

106. July 31st, 2011 9:21 am

I need ibrat Daily for Information of Pakistan and the world

107. paras says:
    December 31st, 2011 12:49 pm

v nice sndhi news paper…

108. December 31st, 2011 12:57 pm

i wana read your news paper daily….

109. ASHIQUE SINDHI says:
    January 1st, 2012 10:43 pm

110. shouban ali says:
    December 6th, 2014 12:35 am

agr me apna colum news me dena chahun tu konsy adress py send karon plz tel me 03063223775