Femme Feryal: A Woman of Accomplishment

Posted on March 20, 2007
Filed Under >Raza Rumi, Books, People, TV, Movies & Theatre, Women

Raza Rumi

Who doesn’t know Feryal Ali Gauhar?

A novel at the top of The New York Times international bestseller list, years of television appearances and a highly publicised marriage to Jamal Shah that became fodder for countless gab sessions, have caricatured and made famous her persona. Had I not known her personally, I too may have fallen for the half-imagined tales littering the drawing rooms of socialites in this land of the pure. But I have had the pleasure of Feryal’s acquaintance for years, and not a moment of our friendship has resembled the images painted by petty gossip and lazy misinformation.

Feryal is a celebrated actor, filmmaker, journalist, activist, development worker and above all, a renowned novelist. Our recent meeting in her Zaman Park, Lahore residence took place after a long interlude. That afternoon, with the winter sun at our backs, we sat in her garden and talked with abandon while several of her cats and pet dogs meandered in and out of the plant-life; silent witnesses to our conversation and its occasional unfettered laughter.

Your Ad Here
Feryal is the youngest child of dynamic, accomplished parents. Her late mother, Khadija Gauhar, was a leading intellectual in Lahore who came to the city from South Africa after marrying her father, Sayyid was a military man from the NWFP who later retired from the army and took to farming. Her elder sister, Madiha Gauhar, is a talented theatre personality who founded the Ajoka theatre group and has managed it for over two decades. Feryal was initially associated with Ajoka as its first female actor. The sisters also have an older brother, Aamir, an industrial engineer who operates a business in alternative energy products.

As a young woman Feryal attended the Lahore American School. Her experiences there included a reaction to the school’s requirement that all students, regardless of nationality, pledge allegiance to the United States. In response to this practice, the eight year old Feryal insisted that the Pakistani national anthem be played for the entire school as well. Later, Feryal was the first Pakistani and first female to head the school’s Students Council. She was an honour role student and captain of several sports teams. Several scions of leading feudal families at Aitchison College at that time remember Feryal leading her team into the school grounds to play soccer. What they especially remember is the soccer team uniform which revealed a rather shapely pair of legs. “Some have never forgotten that sight,” she chuckles.

Feryal followed her college years with a brief stint at Kinnaird, where she played basketball and acted. She then studied political economy at McGill University and was trained in documentary film production in Europe and later at the University of Southern California. Upon her return to Pakistan, Feryal married artist and sculptor, Jamal Shah. In 1984 Feryal moved with Jamal to Quetta where she braved a conservatism that required her to veil herself and threatened physical harm if she appeared on television. This was not an easy phase in Feryal’s life. She explains the end of her first marriage saying, “Jamal had aspirations which did not include me.” It was Feryal’s commitment to her marriage and her politics that enabled her to cope with life in the most remote neglected part of Baluchistan. Thus, she found it ironic that her husband took the first opportunity he had to get out of the marriage “and never looked back.”

After her split from Jamal Shah, Gauhar married a successful Pakistani doctor practicing in California. Feryal divided her time in those years between America and Pakistan. Her experience in California was bittersweet, ending with her second divorce. It was in California that Feryal became a serious writer. The isolation she felt there, while painful, sparked her career. Feeling isolated in small town America, Feryal turned to writing for remedy and release. Writing at this time meant salvation. “Words, for me, are a balm. They soothe me when the anguish is too deep,” she explained in an interview given last year. In addition to her fiction work, Gauhar has been a magazine writer and newspaper columnist for twenty six years.

Referencing the characters of her novels at the 2006 Afro-Asian Writer’s Conference in Dehli, Feryal commented

I am an empty shell in whom many lives, met and unmet, live. What is autobiographical [in my work] is what comes from the personal space. Many times, I do not create the characters, they create me. I also write a political column, which is personal too. My marriage between my personal, professional and political lives is the most successful one yet.

As the interview continued the light of early January waned, and our shadows stretched along Feryal’s expansive, neatly scaped lawn. Feryal passed a small plate of dried fruit and offered home brewed coffee. She shared details of her impending trip to India for the Jaipur Heritage International Festival where she was invited as a speaker alongside South Asian luminaries such as Vikram Seth, Kiran Desai and Salman Rushdie. Requests such as this are largely the result of her first novel, The Scent of Wet Earth in August, which was widely acclaimed. The work is a remarkable blend of Feryal’s filmmaking sensibilities, consciousness of the “other” and her knowledge of animal behaviour. The novel was published by Penguin in 2002 and reached fifth on The New York Times international bestseller list.

Scent is based on Feryal’s film Tibbi Galli. The work reveals the endangered lives of outcasts living in the Lahore red-light district. The choiceless-ness Feryal’s characters encounter there is woven into lucid, at times heart wrenching prose. The plot is unconventional, the mood somber. The novel centers on the protagonist, Fatima, a mute girl who falls in love with the local maulvi’s protege, and the tragedy that ensues.

Gauhar’s forthcoming book, No Space for Further Burials, is set in the wild, violent terrain of contemporary Afghanistan and concerns the socio-political situation there. No Space explores the deaths suffered by Afghans and Americans. Captivated by the subject matter, she penned the book in several weeks. Before 2001, No Space was intended to be a film script. It was inspired by both the fallout of the 1989 Soviet pullout from Afghanistan and the three year war between the Serbians and Bosnians that began in 1992. The 2001 World Trade Tower attacks and their impact on Afghanistan added another dimension to the novel.

No Space is the diary of a US Army medical technician incarcerated by warlords in a mental hospital in Afghanistan. “I wanted to reverse the experience of looking at America through my eyes. I wanted Afghanistan to be seen through an American’s eyes,” the author explains. No Space for Further Burials will be released by Women Unlimited Press in March. A French publisher has purchased its rights and translations are underway in Dari, Pushto and Spanish. Finally, the work is being translated to film. Gauhar recently returned from a writer’s residency at Sanskriti Kendra, near Delhi, where she has been writing the screenplay. She hopes to go into production by the end of the year.

In addition to her novels and plays, Feryal has produced several works of non-fiction. Several years ago she completed a documentary simply titled, Pakistan Poverty Assessment. The work was the result of research from 54 districts and concerned the poor’s perception of their poverty. It underscored the need for land redistribution in the country. Almost immediately after its release the Prime Minister announced that there would be no further land reform in the country. Feryal remained undaunted. “My task was to get the message across through the voices of the poor, and I did it and it was heard quite clearly,” she comments.

In Lahore, Gauhar scorns the rapid consumerism draining the soul of the city. She is also critical of the senseless tree-cutting binge. In recent months, Feryal has been a hyper-active member of the Lahore Bachao Tehreek, under the aegis of the Lahore Conservation Society and members of civil society at large. She is optimistic about the group. She discusses a senior provincial bureaucrat she admires named Suleman Ghani who is currently conserving and developing the Walled City. Feryal praises Ghani but is cautious about the possible gentrification of an area which, as she says in the introduction of her film, Tibbi Galli, is where “dreams are spun during the day, and sadness sung at night.”

Feryal plans to extend her commitment to environmental preservation by registering for the PhD programme in Conservation Management at the National College of Arts, Lahore. In the future, the writer would like to work on conservation issues full time, and she would like to create a national trust modeled after the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage. Here her goal is to, “develop a new paradigm for development which respects cultural identities and the natural environment while enhancing the quality of life on this planet.”

A loner by nature, Feryal can be extremely gregarious when the occasion arises. Such dynamism makes her an enigma for those who have not met her personally. Feryal is not a high profile scandal seeker. She shuns vacuous social scenes, preferring to spend time with her beloved pet dogs and ‘underdogs.’ An animal rights activist, Feryal cares for an astounding eighteen cats, seven dogs, three goats, and one donkey. Most of these animals were stray or rescued from animal cruelty. “ I would much rather talk to my donkey, Sanober, than feign interest in the lives of women of means, who are often merely mean women,” she declares curtly. Despite her low profile lifestyle, in recent years the news media has linked Feryal to powerful figures throughout the country. “This is simply not the case,” she insists. “We live in a country that thrives on mediocrity and the ludicrous. All such rumours have to be understood as a manifestation of boredom in people’s lives,” she says, laughing uproariously.

Feryal’s second novel is due for release this month. The accompanying screenplay is underway, and her film, Tibbi Galli, will be showcased at the Rome International Film Festival later this year. Feryal is at a landmark moment in her life. These achievements and her acceptance by the world community is no small feat given the often virulent xenophobia aimed at Pakistan from abroad, complemented by misrepresentations about this place and its people. Such news may seal the lips of national and international gossip fiends alike. Let us hope that it inspires them to emulate Feryal and adopt more constructive endeavors.

Raza Rumi is an international development professional and an avid literati. He also writes for The Friday Times and blogs at Jahane Rumi; an earlier version of this was carried at both TFT and his blog.

51 Comments on “Femme Feryal: A Woman of Accomplishment”

1. Eidee Man says:
    March 20th, 2007 6:01 pm

I’ll read this later…but haha, talk about getting off-topic.

2. The Pakistanian says:
    March 20th, 2007 6:34 pm

Dear Mr Rumi, thanks for a very informative insight into Ms Gohar’s life. I must say that before reading this article I only had known her as an actor and ex wife of Jamal Shah, and I also confess, like millions of other boys I had a huge crush on her in my school days! Nice to know she is an accomplished writer too.

3. Disciple says:
    March 20th, 2007 6:42 pm

Is the font too big problem in the side bars only on my screen or do others get that too? Happened in the last couple of days.

4. March 20th, 2007 7:07 pm

Thank you, Disciple, for alerting us of the problem. It was, actually, a Window’s-wide problem which we have (hopefully) just fixed. Since ATP is managed mostly from a Mac platform, sometimes Windows can play tricks on us and mess up pages that look perfectly OK on Mac machines.

RESUEST TO REGULAR READERS. If you ever see any problems or rthings that look odd or out in the design, can you please alert us through email (through the ABOUT ATP page) or by leaving a message. This will enable us to resolve these problems quicker.

While we are on the subject, some readers may have experienced CPU outages (a CPU overload page comes up) recently. This is because of a traffic peak we have experienced recently. We are working to resolve this too; so, please, be patient with us.

Thanks.

5. Uzma says:
    March 21st, 2007 12:34 am

Has her second book come out already? When is it expected? Could not find new info on it on teh web.

6. Sufi says:
    March 20th, 2007 7:31 pm

Great insight on the lady. I remember I admired her greatly after the famous drama serial called Chand Girhan. It wasn’t a crush or anything.

I never knew she was an accomplished writer either, thank you Rumi Sahab. Just curious, are you one of the Aitchisonians who remember those shapely legs :D ?

7. Mutazakzaluzzaman Tarar says:
    March 20th, 2007 7:37 pm

wow.. what a nice surprise. thanks Raza.

Faryal is one of my favourite actresses. just the other day I was watching Chand Girhan and admiring her phenomenal performance. it’s good to know that she’s going strong as one of the premier artists of Pakistan.

btw, how can one get a hold of “Tibbi Galli” and “Zar Gul” if one wanted to? does anyone know? thanks.

8. Mutazakzaluzzaman Tarar says:
    March 20th, 2007 7:40 pm

also, it’d be very nice if we could have more posts like this one.

our drama has gone down the toilet and most of the professoional/real/talented actors and actresses have stopped acting. so, if we could pay tribute to them by remembering them, I’m sure it would mean a lot to many people – or at least it does to me.

9. Puppet master says:
    March 20th, 2007 9:17 pm

WoW thx for the nice Article Rumi :).Faryal is definitely one of the most creative women of our country and rather cute too (Had a Major Crush on her in School Life lol :D).Btw More Articles like this one would be appreciated!

10. The Pakistanian says:
    March 20th, 2007 10:01 pm

Tarar sahab, absolutely right on. TV drama these days is not even a shadow of what it used to be until early 90s. Most of those actors, Shakeel, Firdous Jamal, Abid Ali, Shafee Mohammad, Uzma Gilani and co. are still working but they have joined the comercial bandwagon thanks to the advent of the “Mega Soap” culture. The only thing mega about them is that they are mega stupid! Perhaps ATP would be kind enough to go down memory lane and do a nice post about those great dramas from the yesteryears, Waris, Uncle Urfi, Andhera Ujaala, I for one grew up on those dramas! Those were the days man!

11. Roshan says:
    March 21st, 2007 3:25 am

Faryal and Jamal were the most charming couple of their age. Unfortunately the marriage could not work out.
    I had a chance to meet her twice in some social gatherings and have found her an intelligent and well articulated lady.
    Raza sb thanks for writing a wonderful article.

12. Sabahat says:
    March 21st, 2007 8:47 am

I must admit I have never really been a Feryal Gauhar fan, something she exudes seems on the fake side to me but this article really made me rethink my opinion of her and my judgments based on vibes. That animal loving bit was really moving.

13. Raza Rumi says:
    March 21st, 2007 12:57 pm

Dear readers
    Many thanks for liking the post and leaving your comments. Feryal is a real talent as I tried to highlight and this is beyond the good looks (though looks are quite important in this case and who hasn’t gone through a ‘crush’ phase with her?). Most importantly, she is one of the few novelists in English and this is a great thing for Pakistan’s representation in the world of fiction.

Her new book has not been launched in Pakistan yet. It will be out soon I believe and let’s see how it reads..

14. March 22nd, 2007 2:43 pm

I think she is not in Pakistan, so why worry :)

15. Rakshi says:
    April 25th, 2007 10:48 am

Here is an excerpt of a great speech by her.

Honourable Minister for the Environment, Dr. Anjum Arshad, Country Director of the Asian Development Bank Mr. Peter Fedon, Chairperson Planning And Development Board, Government of Punjab, Mr. Suleman Ghani, Respected Guests:

Allow me to take this opportunity to thank the organizers for granting me the opportunity to share a slightly different perspective on development. Much as I do not want to act as the Devil’s Advocate, and much as I do not want to point out the irony manifest in the fact that the Punjab Development Forum is being held in the hallowed halls of what used to be the Free Mason’s Lodge in Colonial Times, I feel I am compelled to do both, for that is the role of a member of civil society, a citizen of this beloved country who refuses to be cowed down
    by allegations made earlier against organizations such as the Lahore Bachao Tehreek for being invested with vested interests. Allow me this opportunity to place on record that the Lahore Bachao Tehreek is a civil society movement of ordinary citizens as well as highly respected professionals, renowned in their own fields of law, architecture, urban planning, traffic management, the management of the environment, political economy, and sociology. I myself am proud to be amongst the first professionals in this country working towards a PhD in Conservation Management, and I refuse to swallow the intimidation which comes our way each time we have tried to confront the powers that be, powers such as the land and development mafia, powers which lurk behind the powerful, nurturing vested interests behind closed doors.

Ladies and Gentlemen: in the earlier session a remark was made by Mr. Shahid Javed Burki about transforming the Punjab from a granary to an orchard. While I have great regard for Mr. Burki’s achievements, I was dismayed to think that the spirit of Marie Antoinette still lives amongst the best of us – it was she who, during the great French Revolution, ordered to feed the peasants “Cake if they have no Breadâ€

16. July 9th, 2007 1:11 pm

Faryal,s physical and intellectual beauty is the joy forever
    for all serious readers.

17. July 22nd, 2007 11:54 pm

Please treat this as my request for e-mail address of Faryal Gohar as I would like to enquire from her some matters of which she has spoken and and mentioned in her address. Thanks.

18. Safdar Akbari says:
    July 25th, 2007 10:10 pm

Wow – I always liked FG. She is very intelligent and beautful…

19. Tania says:
    August 17th, 2007 11:42 am

I have always liked Jamal Shah and Faryal Gauhar.

Faryal Gauhar is such a bundle of talent I never knew. Isn’t it amazing to see, generally, that every successful woman or should I say an accomplished woman, is always a loner. Very few Pakistani women have made their way to the top with the support of their husbands.
    Anyways, I wish Faryal best of luck and lots of happiness in her life.

20. Faisal Abbas says:
    August 23rd, 2007 10:39 am

I am really much impressive with your personality.

i want to meet that glorious personality.

21. ramzanali says:
    August 28th, 2007 6:46 am

hay how are you i hope your well i am a great fane of you, i like from the core of my heart, i always thinking about you, your my heart beat

22. Amir Raza Mangale says:
    September 3rd, 2007 2:20 am

AFTER READING FERYAL INTERVEIW,IJUST WANT TO SAY THAT FUTURE IS BRIGHT FOR WOMEN OF PAKISTAN WHEN THESE GREAT WOMEN ARE PREASANT AS A ROLL MODLE.IN THE LAST BUT NOT CERTAINIY THE LEST FERYAL HAS A GOOD SMILE ,SO KEEP SMILLING bcoz ”PEACE” START WITH” SMILE”.

23. Adonis says:
    September 3rd, 2007 5:37 am

#
    “Tania says:
    August 17th, 2007 11:42 am

…. Isn

24. Kashif Khan says:
    September 3rd, 2007 7:32 pm

She is incredibly pretty, intelligent and accommplished actress. However it is puzzling why anyone would divorce such a near perfect beauty with brain!!!!!!!!! Has the storey which had a sense to slipping off topic rather too often did not let the readers in the real person behind the attractive face?????????

Quest to know real Farryal goes on!

25. Larry Jones says:
    September 10th, 2007 8:50 am

If someone could send me Feryal’s e-mail address, or send her mine, I would love to write to her. I was one of her teachers in Lahore.

26. zia says:
    October 5th, 2007 3:22 pm

Faryal Ali Gohar is one of the best actress and novelest in the Pakistan. I like her dynamic personality and her gracefull thinkig. I cosider her as my Ideal.
    Your well wisher Zia.

27. Gul Buhar Khan says:
    November 20th, 2007 8:16 am

FG,

No doubt, you have perfect personality. You are the most beautiful lady in the world. But personality is something that is your own asset. What I am really impressed from is your work you are doing ambidextrously for the human beings, specially for the unpreviledged. Having worked in social development sector for almost 4 years, I do understand the importance of your work. I wanted to share my personal experience if you give the liberty to have your email address.

Regards,

GBK

28. nudma says:
    April 13th, 2008 10:35 am

i would like to thank the creater of this site for including faryal in the list of people who are really proud of pakistanis. i have just known her on large scale after reading the paras given above. my SALUTE to faryal. keep it up. “u have just stepped in my heart and made me your biggest fan” live long.

29. shafiq sandhu says:
    April 24th, 2008 5:15 pm

Faryal Gohar is my favourite tv artist, I didn’t know she was a lovely writer too. In my opinion Faryal should be writing more frequently on all life’s unanswered issues,unfortunately our country where we belong is full of economic , social and political problems which needs to be not only addressed only but some force needs to be used to implement some action to safe the country’s train being further derailed. I think Faryal should be using her God gifted writing skills to awake specially the young generation and the whole nation to take the country seriously and honestly, so we can face the comming generation not in shame but with some proudness.
    I am sure Faryal Gohar can do this ?

30. Amin Mughal says:
    May 17th, 2008 3:40 pm

I have the family, including Feryal, for umpteen years, but the write-up by Rumi gave me an insight into this remarkable person. I wish her luck, success and happiness.

31. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    May 18th, 2008 7:47 am

@Raqeebon ko discourage karnay liay,

Burra waqt hota hay, jab tapak partay hein raqeeb,
    koi naam puchta hay, makaan-o-gali, kucha-o-baam

Ham jantay hein, rishta, husn-o-roozgar ka laikin
    Manzoor hamein hay, Ghareeb hona Raqeebon ka
    Rafay Kashmiri

32. someone know her says:
    May 29th, 2008 8:34 am

Her email address is feryalkimail@yahoo.com

33. Mohammad Adnan says:
    August 1st, 2008 2:50 am

Feryal ali Gohar was a best actress of pakistan. I relly like her charming & dynamic personality.She is my favourite tv artist and most beautiful lady of the world. I am a great fan of her. Long live Feryal.

34. Nida says:
    August 31st, 2008 1:11 pm

Feryal is the only graceful women who has carried herself with pride.inspite the media making rumours, still she is respected more than Atiqa Odho.
    Cheers for Brave Feryal.

35. moien says:
    September 30th, 2008 1:55 am

I happen to read by chance article on this remarkable lady. It seems that she wants to do a lot, has a pure heart, is extremely intelligent and has high ideals and goals. I wish we have some more of such people in our society. I have never read her works, but will now make it a point to read her novels. She is above the rest of mileaux and she is absolutely right of our “mediocrity” and callous attitude towards everything in life. The result is the chaos that we are deep into. That is why we’ve got to respect quite a lot such women who examplify their ideals through deeds and exceptional courage.

May God be with her. I wish her success and strength.

Moien

36. faiq masood says:
    October 21st, 2008 5:14 am

Feryal is a wonderfull charming personality lady working
    for humanity and nature specialy for lahore

37. Sajid says:
    December 17th, 2008 2:35 am

I heard she is working for human rights and women rights, What she did about dr aafia, i have not heard any of her statement regarding Dr Aafia Siddiqui, It seems she is working for a specific objectives.

i.e. Do not speak against Zionist and their allies.

38. Asad Jaffer says:
    January 6th, 2009 7:22 am

Raza Rumi couldn

39. Masood ur Rehman says:
    March 17th, 2009 5:33 pm

Faral Gohar is one of my favourite personalities in pakistan. she has been one of best acteress in pakistan tv. she must be involved with the politics. As PAKISTAN needs the personalities like her. She know all about the situation in pakistan. so committed and devoted personalities must come up and work for pakistan.
    Thanks

40. ENGR Hamid Shafiq says:
    April 21st, 2009 1:20 am

feryal is my favourite actoress almost ten years back when she act in play Chand Girhan and one quetta centre play with jamal shah(Ex husbend) his face every thing marvelous and beautiful. her speaking style is totally different from any woman in the world. she is my best actoress in drama and top of the list. some days back i watch interview with hina on Geo her face now down i do not know why she twice divorce. no problem she lives always happy in the world.
    long live and love to feryal.
    hamid

41. Muhammad Arshad says:
    May 12th, 2009 9:43 am

I would like to say about her that she is the lady who has recognised her abilities hidden in her to the outer world. She is a blessing for the Pakistani nation and a role model for the women of educated class. I realy appreciate her. Long live Faryal jee.

42. shahid says:
    September 25th, 2009 3:16 pm

i just want to say that i have wached all the dramas of her and very much fan of her and jamal shah infect he is my teacher also as i have studid from nca.
    iam requesting to all of the members or any one who know that where i could find the movie Tibbi Galli coz its not avalable in the market if any one knows about that plz email me on my address shah_des2000@hotmail.com i will be greatfull to u.

43. Amjad says:
    January 3rd, 2010 2:19 pm

Just watched an interview with Bushra Ansari and couldn’t stop myself googling the lady, Faryal Gohar. Pardon my ignorance, I didn’t know such a gohar-e-nayab exist in our time. Getting her book, as someone said, if you want to know someone better than read them through their creations.

44. Hamid Shafiq says:
    January 14th, 2010 3:20 am

Feryal is my favourite actoress when she work as an actoress almost 20 years back but some days back her interview with bushra Ansari at Geo gave me a lot of questions which she cannot explain to any person because my previous comments ask some questions. but her interview clear a lot of things related to my questions. Her next interview with Mujahid Bralvi at CNBC also important regarding she explain his new novel which related to Afghanistan war. i support her activites for Lahore projects to preserve trees and also work at Diamer bhasha dam arcehlogical sites. i need his new novel where i can buy my email address is below if some body knows just send me address of bookshop. Last pray to Allah for happy and better life.

45. Hamid Shafiq says:
    January 14th, 2010 3:23 am

If any body knows where i can buy Feryal novels please send email to my address which is below.
    ehshafiq@yahoo.com

46. Awais says:
    January 17th, 2010 4:45 pm

I am the Biggest Fan of Mine Favourite Actress Feryal.
    Pakistan top Most beautiful women.
    She is mine Dream women.
    I like to see Feryal to Join ACTING OR Politics.
    one thing Jamal Shah is world n0-1 Fool Person.

47. faruk ghulam says:
    March 2nd, 2010 7:00 pm

Salam Faryal Baji.Baji ap se meri guzarish hai k kindly Pakistan ki Politics mai aa ker ess country ki taqdeer ko badal dalyey.Jehan ap itney ache ache kaam ker rehi hain,animals ka itna kheyal rakhti hain wehan 18 crore besahara hawam aur beshamar animals ko ap jese leader ki zarurat hai Jo Hazrat Umer ki tarah Neil k sahil pe bhokey kutte ko be apni rehaya ka part samakhta ho. Khuda k liye Pakistan aur ess ki mazloom hawam ko bacha lijheye.

48. Jamshed says:
    March 3rd, 2010 7:37 am

Wow.What a mutifaceted personality.I’m already impressed by her acting skills.I’d like to read that book of hers.

49. London Stock Market says:
    December 2nd, 2010 2:14 pm

one of the great pakistani sucess stories, she is also very beautiful still

50. Jawaid Islam says:
    January 13th, 2011 3:16 pm

My admiration for her work, both artistic and literary as well as her philanthropy; wish there were more like her and in power to change the destiny of our country. Like-minded people please get together and form a pressure group to revolutionize and clean up everything in this country starting from the politicians / fuedals / bureacrats / the military gang, the sort that is the ill of this country.

51. Munir H. Shah says:
    September 22nd, 2011 6:41 pm

I met Faryal Gauher at the launching ceremony of Documentary entitle ” Pakistan Poverty Assessment’ in the Auditorium of Planning Commission, GOP way back in the year 2002.

I found in her a true humane with fascinating personality and very powerful pen. Being an activist of Protection of Environment and Conservation of Nature, I requested her to play her positive and dominating role and take optimum use of her being a celebrity too. The first thing is her sensitizing and strong advocacy against the ‘Furnace Mafia’ who have strong hands and lobby preventing the way for the introduction of alternative uses of the Renewable Energy, like electricity from Sun, Wind, Tidal Waves, Municipal Waste, etc. Only Germany is producing 35000 megawatt electricity from the Renewal Resources.

Secondly she can be of tremendous help and assistance for introducing massive planting of Margosa (Neem) trees in Pakistan – the most environment friendly tree in the world.