Pakistanis Support Displaced Pakistanis

Posted on May 14, 2009
Filed Under >Adil Najam, >Owais Mughal, About ATP, Disasters, Society

Adil Najam and Owais Mughal

As Mosharraf Zaidi wrote in his post yesterday: “In the long run, only Pakistan can help Pakistan.

As long-time readers of this site know, central to our notion of Pakistaniat is the idea that taking national responsibility is as important as having national pride. With the number of displaced Pakistanis fleeing from the violence and mayhem in Swat and other areas on the rise and given the dire need to act in this hour of need, we at All Things Pakistan are committed to donate part of our advertising revenue to support the relief efforts. We hope that some of you will join us and also chip in with whatever contributions you can.

We realize that many of our readers are already doing so through other means. We salute you.

We also realize that many others who are able to make larger contributions, will do so through more formal channels of giving. We urge you to do so in urgency.

But we also realize that some may not yet have found a right venue to give or may be thinking that what they can contribute is so small will not make a difference. If you are one of them, do please consider giving – no matter how small an amount – through the widget on this page (you can pay through a credit card or a PayPal account). We will consolidate these contributions and add to these our own and find a cause that can directly and immediately help those in such great need. Please also suggest to us what are the best ways to get whatever we collect and contribute through our advertising to the IDPs. We will consider your suggestions on who to give this money to, how, and for what, as we make that final decision.

It does not matter how large your contribution is; its the thought that counts. It does not even matter whether you give through our drive or to any other worthy cause. It matters only that we do not remain silent and we do act. In whatever way we can. To whatever extent we can. Through whatever means we can.

Mosharraf Zaidi reminded us yesterday how Pakistanis everywhere came together to respond to the needs of those distressed by the horrific earthquake a few years ago. He also reminded us that, “The response to the earthquake must not be a one-off demonstration of humanity. It must prove to be the rule in Pakistan.”

Let us please take his call to heart; and to open up our own hearts. For us, as important as the money collected is how many people contribute, no matter what the amount. Because the number of people who speak up in support for these Pakistanis who are fighting all of our battles for us is itself a vote saying that we are a nation and as a nation we stand together in times of need.

Some years ago I wrote a book titled “Portrait of a Giving Community” – it argued that we Pakistanis are a generous and giving people. The devastating Earthquake hit just as the book was being published and it demonstrated the point I was trying to make.

Today, it is time yet again to make the same point. Please do help us in doing so.

34 Comments on “Pakistanis Support Displaced Pakistanis”

1. Umair says:
    May 14th, 2009 6:19 pm

Donated. Thanks for providing the venue.

2. May 14th, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks to those who have donated. Just to note that it takes a little while for the widget totals to be uploaded, so if you do not see the bar moving after your contribution please do not be worried.

3. Yeh Watan Hamara Hai says:
    May 14th, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks for the opportunity! Let’s unite and help ourselves to pull out of these difficult times.

My Best!

4. Dilawar says:
    May 14th, 2009 6:58 pm

Thank you for putting this and keep up the good work.

Although many of us are already helping in whatever way we can and other places I think we should all give whatever little we can even if we are students like me.

There is also strategy reason for this. The Taliban and their supporters are spreading propaganda against Pakistan in this time and trying to recruit more people from these camps by playing to their misery. All the ordinary Pakistanis here need to show at this point that we are with IDPs and people of Pakistan are all united and will stand together and help each other. We need to give this message to Taliban and to other enemies of Pakistan.

PAKISTAN ZINDABAD!

5. May 14th, 2009 7:57 pm

A summary of various links to donate, for people abroad:

6. Amara says:
    May 14th, 2009 8:22 pm

What a wonderful initiative and thank you for doing this and thank you for those donating. I have also donated very small amount but I think every little thing counts and we have to stand up for humanity principles that we talk about. Now is time to do what we are always saying. Be good human beings an help human beings.

7. Umar Shah says:
    May 14th, 2009 8:42 pm

Adil Sahab, my vote goes to sending these proceeds to Edhi Foundation. Their integrity is unquestionable.

On the other hand I would suggest putting up a poll naming a handful of charities you have in mind and letting everyone vote for their favorite charity. It’ll make your decision easier.

8. May 15th, 2009 8:14 am

Thank you all who have donated. It is not showing up on my page yet, but as of this point we already have $780 from 16 contributors. We are going to keep this going for a while more so please do add if you can and then we will add a contribution from the ATP ad revenue and try to have this sent as soon as possible. Since the needs are urgent.

I have been in contact with a number of people on the field in Pakistan about what the best way to get this to those in need is and which organization can help us do that… if you have any ideas please do let us know here since we wish to make that decision fairly soon.

9. ShahidnUSA says:
    May 15th, 2009 8:48 am

I have a blind trust on the administrator of this website.
    I did my part but I want them to stand with pride.
    If anyone give 100 $, I would match it and bring it to 1000$.
    Not to show off but its time to walk the walk.

10. Enn says:
    May 15th, 2009 8:55 am

ShahidnUSA

Fully agree with you and I think that should be the spirit. Just put in $100. I hope they get to $1000 soon and actually I am sure that they will raise much much more. More is needed and I know we can all do much more. So, everyone, do please join the effort.

11. Megan says:
    May 15th, 2009 8:59 am

Great idea–thanks for posting a safe and direct way to donate.

12. Aik Pakistani says:
    May 15th, 2009 9:24 am

ShahidnUSA,

I totally agree– I also did my part last night but time is of the essence here, and there is a lot that needs to be done, so I take up your offer.

I’ll contribute another $100 and let’s wrap up this one. Thanks to everyone out there who is contributing in any way, shape or form.

I personally think we should start another campaign after this one and may be reach out to folks via email, phone, etc. as everyone may not be aware of this.

My Best!

13. Adil Najam says:
    May 15th, 2009 10:35 am

Dear friends, During a break at the conference I am at I just noticed that we have now reached and exceeded our goal. Thank you so much all.

Since the needs are great we will keep collecting, so if you can and have not yet, please do contribute and also please ask others to chip in.

On our part ATP will match the collected $1000 with $1000 more from ourselves and try to decide where to send this first contribution to by the end of today. We at ATP intend to give more and hope that you will all too…. Either here or elsewhere…So we will keep the widget open for those who can contribute.

Once again, if you have suggestions on how and who this should be sent, please do write…. It will be useful to us but also to other readers in their private giving…..

Thank you everyone, again.

By the way, we reached our goal in just over 16 hours…. Maybe the goal was set too low!

14. anonymous says:
    May 15th, 2009 11:36 am

I think you should keep collecting. I actually posted a few websites on my facebook group. I am copy pasting the list.

UN Refugee Agency: http://www.unhcr.org/news/NEWS/4a043ce52.html
    Islamic Relief USA: http://www.irw.org/campaigns/pakistanemergency
    Save The Children Foundation: http://www.savethechildren.org/emergencies/asia/pakistan-2009/pakistan-conflict.html
    Edhi Foundation: http://www.edhifoundation.com/contact.asp

15. May 15th, 2009 11:46 am

ALL THINGS PAKISTAN never shies away from contributing to Pakistani causes, Adil wrote a book on Pakistani Philanthropy inUSA. ATP contributed to Schools construction in Swat,T2F 2nd floor charity appeal, Alamgir fund and now for Swat.to name a few causes (not forgeting Edhi and Imran’s Cancer appeal)
    All Ad revenue on Bradistan Calling Website is for charity especially Grameen Foundation.

Great Work Team, Proud to be ATP

16. Aisha PZ says:
    May 15th, 2009 12:34 pm

UNHCR (United Nations High Commission for Refugees) is the primary U.N. organization on the ground who is the expert in dealing with refugee crises globally – they are vetted, visible and in action. You can go directly to their website and they have a specific donation page for this current Pakistan Crisis, where funds are going specifically for only this cause directly. Thanks.

Direct Link to donate:

17. Riaz Haq says:
    May 15th, 2009 1:34 pm

I think it is hard not to feel sad when you see people killed in the crossfire or be uprooted from their homes in large numbers, as is happening in the north west of the country.

But I generally agree that Pakistanis must demonstrate their care and concern by donating and volunteering to help the refugees. The key for Pakistani military succeeding in defeating the Taliban is in how well Pakistani government can maintain public support for the military action.

So far, Pakistani military’s robust response to the rising militancy appears to be backed by a significant majority of the people. If the Pakistani political leadership can deal with its fall-out, such as the refugee crisis, and sustain the popular support for the ongoing military action, and the government executes a rational set of economic policies, it is quite reasonable to expect things to start to get better within a year.

18. Mustafa says:
    May 15th, 2009 1:58 pm

I like the UNHCR suggestion but isn

19. Nostalgic says:
    May 15th, 2009 2:17 pm

I also donated to UNHCR this morning, they have a Pakistan page and payment by credit card was quick and easy… here is the link:

But as Mustafa said, a Pakistani aid agency may be a better idea… the Edhi Foundation is a tried and tested one… unfortunately, Edhi Sb. has consistently refused to allow credit card payments, which some of his own staff can’t understand… UNHCR may be the way to go…

I would urge Dr. Najam to stay away from charities associated with JI and other such less than savory entities… I was appalled yesterday when Ayaz Amir went as far as to give out the cellphone number of the JI’s charity front in his article… he made it a point to mention how he doesn’t like the JI, but he could easily have given out the Edhi Foundation’s number but chose not to… read it for yourselves:

Disgusting, isn’t it? And to think that he had turned a page after being one of the few parliamentarians to speak out against the deal…

20. Azra says:
    May 15th, 2009 2:35 pm

I am very greatful to ATP for doing this and for reminding all of us of the greatest priority, which is to help all Pakistanis in need.

I would also say that you should continue collecting and not stop. Even if the tricke slows down as many people are also giving elsewhere, your system allows those of us who can only contribute a little and do not know where is best to have a safe and trustworthy channel.

Like others, I have full faith in Adil Najam and Owais Mughal to do what is best for Pakistan always and am happy with whatever source they decide is best.

21. ASAD says:
    May 15th, 2009 2:39 pm

I was surprised that the bar was not really moving much. They I emptied my Cache on the browser and it suddenly did. Very good work ATP and thank you for doing this. Specially about matching the contribution and adding $1000 of your own. That is the spirit of Pakistaniat.

22. Sonu says:
    May 15th, 2009 4:51 pm

Bravo to ATP for doing this drive! I second Azra’s suggestion that you continue with the collections. Also thanks to the folks who linked to UNHCR and Edhi.

23. Mark F. says:
    May 15th, 2009 4:56 pm

I had been thinking of donating but had not known where. So glad that yo are able to collect this money and send it to the right source since many of us do not know where to give. Good job, guys.

24. Fauzia says:
    May 15th, 2009 7:24 pm

We have to remember that the Taliban and their supporters are using this crisis to recruit people. That is what they did with the Afghan camps which is there Talibans first recruited. they will use this again to build people’s hate against Pakistan and we must not let that happen. We have to show Pakistani solidarity so that we all come stronger an not weaker in what you call “Pakistaniat.”

25. May 16th, 2009 10:36 am

Friends, just to let you know that a first batch of support was sent to the Edhi foundation for relief efforts for the displaced people from Swat.

We are continuing our drive and our thanks to those who have been contribiting. I do hope others will too. We at ATP remain committed to sending more relief from our own Ad revenue as well as whatever we collect here. So, please, if you can do keep giving.

More than that, please do keep sharing information on best means and organizations to give through. We have heard from a number of readers who are giving large amounts and want to give directly through organizations… please do advise them (and encourage them) through your comments on possibilities.

26. Ajnabi says:
    May 16th, 2009 12:39 pm

Whether we want Pakistan to be a Muslim state with Sharia Law, or a more liberal Pakistan, or something else; would you not agree that you do care about the people who live in Pakistan. These humans look more like you and me than those in the rest of the world. How would we feel if one of them was our father, mother, daughter, son, sister,brother? We would not want them to suffer, the way they are suffering. You and I know, deep in our hearts, that it is not their fault. If you want a glimpse of what is happening then read this story:

At times, we all feel the strong emotions to write about how Pakistan should be governed; etc, and that is okay. We all think that if things were done our way then Pakistan

27. meengla says:
    May 16th, 2009 2:08 pm

Though I am unable to match ShahidUSA’s generosity I have made one more small contribution and will most probably make some more.
    I have also posted a link to this article in another Pakistani forum.
    Thank you so much Professor Najam for this opportunity. I have an almost blind faith in you!

28. Aik Pakistani says:
    May 16th, 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks everyone for your support and contributions. You all have given me hope and confidence in our nation…. If you have seen the recent pictures of our IDP especially the children, then I’m sure that you get the same thoughts that I do everytime I eat, sleep and wake up.

I can’t stop watching the following video and try to find out ways of helping and generating more help. Anyone willing to match $100, $50 or whatever works for you?

29. May 16th, 2009 5:55 pm

http://www.helpidp.org is a useful resource with links on how to contribute to the IDPs

30. anonymous says:
    May 17th, 2009 4:59 pm

You might want to donate to UNHCR as well. They’re doing a lot of work for the IDPs in Pakistan.

31. Nostalgic says:
    May 17th, 2009 5:59 pm

Okay, so I had the honor of taking it to the $2000 mark… :)

UNHCR seems to have a lot of fans, myself included… how about the second $1000 going to UNHCR, for diversity’s sake?

32. ASAD says:
    May 17th, 2009 10:28 pm

This story of bravery is worth reading (THE NEWS):

SSG heroes killed eight Taliban before they were shot

By Rauf Klasra

KAHUTA: Family members of martyred Captain Najam Riaz have made a shocking disclosure about the alleged involvement of an important administrative official of Malakand in the killing of four SSG commandos at the hands of Taliban last week.

The heroic tale of brave commandos reveals how the valiant soldiers had broken the necks of eight Taliban, once they realised that they were about to be beheaded. The mother of Shaheed Captain Najam told The News while sitting in her village house, amid tears in her eyes, that she would have even sacrificed ten sons for the sake of Pakistan and she was proud of her 24-year old son, who before going to Swat had told her not to weep over her body as he knew he was going on a journey of martyrdom.

33. Nostalgic says:
    May 18th, 2009 6:39 am

Moving story… God bless the heroic captain and his comrades…

And the moral of the story: unless the enemy within is killed, we won’t win… and the enemy within walks the streets of all of Pakistan and isn’t just limited to Swat and FATA… there are madrassas in every town that preach this odious version of our faith, and there are many who sympathize with it…

34. Babar says:
    May 19th, 2009 5:11 pm

Thanks for taking the initiative and for reminding everyone. Please keep going once you meet the initial target.