The Rhythms of Karachi

Posted on February 27, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Society, Travel

Since we are on a roll here in talking about Pakistani cities, I thought I would share with you this very interesting video on Karachi I saw posted on Karachi Metroblog. It is done by something called ‘Chai Panni Productions.’ Unfortunately I could not find much information about them (if anyone knows, lease share). I have titled the post as I have (instead of using the title ‘Dekh Magar Piyar Se’) because it struck me that his does capture the rhythms of Karachi so wonderfully and authentically. I like it for the same reason that I liked the video we had posted earlier on Nihari in Karachi. While I was not particularly impressed by the child reciting rote learned ashaar (because of the selection), but the pace and the sound, and the style made me think back fondly of the years I spent as a child in Karachi.

Part 2 of this three part video can be viewed on YouTube. And Part 3 is here:

12 Comments on “The Rhythms of Karachi”

1. iFaqeer says:
    February 27th, 2007 2:44 pm

Let’s see what we can find in terms of musical and literary tributes to Karachi (some covered on Pakistaniat, some not yet):

Song:
    Shehron ki Dulhan (on one of Alamgir’s records)
    Bunder Road say Kiamari (most famously sung by Moin Akhtar)

Literature:
    Karachi ki Kahani…

Blogs:
    Karachi Metblog
    Karachi Flickr Group
    Posts on Pakistaniat:

Please add. I have to admit I am looking at this as a way to collect iinfo we can put under a “Karachi in Popular Culture” section on the Wikipedia and WikiPakistan articles… [Of course,I'd like to do the same for other places in Pakistan, from Lahore to Mianwali; from Tando Allah Yaar to ... Waziristan?]

2. Farrukh says:
    February 27th, 2007 5:50 pm

Very nice.
    What I liked best was towards the end of the last one when different people say ‘karachi daikho magar piyar say”. There is great variety of people and accents and sometimes one forgets just how great a variety it is.

3. Adnan Ahmad says:
    February 27th, 2007 9:32 pm

Not bad. Often we forget how big a city this is.. to the extent that there are different dialects in different parts of the city. By the way, these kids didn’t go beyond 1/4the of the city; almost all of the footage is from defence, clifton, saddar and I.I.chundrigur road (the financial capital of the country). Places like gulshan, nazimabad, malir, pechs, north karachi, are a world in themselves.

4. Samdani says:
    February 27th, 2007 11:31 pm

Nicely done. Although I think some of the English music in the background could easily have been replaced by Pakistani numbers which would have given it a better feel.

5. Moeen Bhatti says:
    February 27th, 2007 11:58 pm

Nice post.
    Adil: Its time you talk about Lahore too man. Afterall, Lore Lore Aai…its the heart of Pakistan…Jinae Lore nahi wekhia, au jamma hee nahi…I mentioned you earlier, there is a Lahore in Virginia…and you mentioned, there are like 2-3 Lahores in the US…regards

6. Samdani says:
    February 28th, 2007 1:10 am

Saw this again. At the end of the first clip when he asks thsi girl for directions, her answer is quite funny. “I usually go with my driver and do not pay much attention to the road.”

7. Sara Faruqi says:
    February 28th, 2007 2:29 am

Hi, Im a member of Chai Paani Productions. We are students from The Lyceum School. Initially this project had started out as a group of photo’s on Karachi, but we felt that we could’nt really represent the city without showing all of it’s sights and sounds. And Adnan is right we didnt even cover half of the city, but that was beacuse we had to limit oursleves to 15 minutes (although we did pass it) and also we only had about 4 weeks to make the whole film. Although we do have shots of Nazimabad and FB Area and gulshan we just didnt label them becuase these shot are scattered all over the documentary.

8. jyoti says:
    February 28th, 2007 6:23 am

9. Daktar says:
    February 28th, 2007 9:47 am

Sara, please accept congratulations from me to you and your freinds for a very well done project. I do think that keeping it shorter, maybe 5 minutes in all would have been nice.

10. Farrukh says:
    February 28th, 2007 12:33 pm

Glad to see that educational institutions are encouraging students to do projects like this. Wish we had such fun things to do when we were studying.

11. Eidee Man says:
    February 28th, 2007 11:49 pm

[quote comment="35863"]jalebeeeee:) and baraf Gola:) wow.. so very much like “Aamachi Mumbai” ( hamaari Mumbai in Marathi). very cute. And what’s that tall, round building in the 3rd part? It looks so much like Nehru Centre in Mumbai..[/quote]

Like Mumbai…God forbid.

The video itself is very nicely done…it captured the feel of Karachi very well. But why were they asking for the way to Abdullah Shah Ghazi…I mean, what kind of Karachiite does not know that? :)

12. jyoti says:
    March 1st, 2007 2:58 am

@Eidee Man: shall i say , like India:) hope your blood pressure won’t hit the roof.. he he