Remembering Tikanjoo

Posted on March 31, 2007
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Humor, Society, Sports

Owais Mughal

I grew up playing cricket on the street. After asr (late afternoon) prayers, I was usually the first one to put wicket in the center of the street, mark creases with a chalk, and put a stone as the bowling mark. I also used to put new tape on balls and did some other management stuff…

(Photo to the right is of a street cricket player from Chitral, Pakistan.)

…Slowly other boys from the neighbor hood would come out and numbering was done to decide who would bat first. In those early minutes of set up, a boy from the neighborhood helped me a lot. He was employed in one of the homes and used to get a permanently bald cut from the local barber. So people started calling him ‘ganja’. Some with lesser formal education used to call him ‘takloo’ (it means a bald person in local Karachi slang)

After a Hajj season our cricket team suddenly got some Haji players who had recently became ‘ganja’ (bald) after performing the holy ritual.

This caused a big confusion in our local team on how to distinguish between so many bald players while using some kind of slang language. In those days of early youth, using proper literary language was considered so out of fashion……

……After many days of deliberation we called a ‘shoora’ (cabinet) meeting of neighborhood boys and in that meeting it was unanimously decided to name the original

ganja guy as ‘Tikanjoo’.

The logic behind this nomenclature was:

Ganja + Takloo = Tikanjoo

(Photo to the left is from Quetta, Pakistan and it shows ingenuity of players who have built the cricket wicket by stacking up stones.)

Tikanjoo had great passion for cricket. He would come out on the street earlier than me. Sometimes I saw him waiting for me to put wickets on the street so that he can get a break from his employers and come out to play. I would then send him to all the homes in neighborhood to ring call bells and ask the ‘V.I.P cricketers’ to come out.

Tikanjoo bowled really fast jerk balls. Just like Shoaib Akhtar he would run 32 steps and then throw cricket ball like a stone with out circling his arm over. To get a better picture, imagine Shoaib Akhter bowling in a fluttering 9 feet long ‘shalwar qameez’ and wearing Bata’s ‘hawaai chappal’ (flat open slip-ons). ….

(I took this photograph in June 2005. Temperature at that time was 45 degree centigrade and I am not kidding. It shows the passion of cricket in Islamabad, Pakistan. These players are using a trash can as the wicket.)

…Poet Zameer Jaffri once said a ‘sher’ about the West Indian fast bowler Wes Hall which perfectly fits the way Tikanjoo used to bowl in our steet. It goes like this:

shor uTha ke Hall aatat hai, khel ka intaqaal aata hai
Hall se pehlay ball aati hai, ball se pehlay Hall aata hai

If any batsman didn’t get out with technically correct bowling then we used to bring Tikanjoo to throw few balls. Due to incorrect bowling action of Tikanjoo, batsmen would usually complain that this act was an ‘ochaa hath-kanDaa’ (cheap stunt) on part of fielding side but to no avail. After ‘Tikanjoo’ was unleashed then more often than not, he would get the wicket of well set batsman.

As a rule of street cricket, a direct hit in neighbourhood homes was considered out…

(Photo to the right is from Quetta, Pakistan. It shows multiple cricket games going on at the same street.)

…. If someone got out in such manner, we used to request Tikanjoo to be a useful member of the team and prove his loyalty by bringing back the ball. He would then climb walls, climb window shades, reach roofs in no time and retrieve the ball for us.

Then one day Tikanjoo found work in another neighborhood and left our locality. He was talked about for few days and then everyone forgot about him. We grew up into our current roles of life. Nobody knows what happened to Tikanjoo after few months. Reminds me of this sher:

mohallay waalay na-haq khafa ho gayay warna
woh to ek andaaz tha os kay pyar karne ka

I hope wherever is Tikanjoo, he is fine and enjoying the cricket as much as he did in our childhood. At this moment I don’t even recall his real name but I just thought about him and it brought smile to me and thus I wanted to share above lines with you. Long live cricket and long live Pakistan.

(Photo to the above left is our street in Federal-B-Area, Karachi – Jan 2007 – where Tikanjoo used to bowl his super fast throws. The street looks deserted without a cricket wicket in the center and all the care free boys of yesteryears having grown up into men with responsibilities.)

Before ending this post, I also want to share a ‘sher’ which my friend Amjad Hussain first told me:

jab cricket khela kartay the, osay wicket banaaya kartay the
hum jis se pani peetay the, woh maTka aakhir TooT gaya

53 Comments on “Remembering Tikanjoo”

1. sepoy says:
    March 31st, 2007 12:32 am

and your post bought a smile to my face.

i spend my youth doing much the same – our Tikanjoo was Gittak – named after his diminutive stature – who jerked bowled the finest leg-breaks ever seen and who was the first to put up the boundary flags on league match days.

May he be watching and playing cricket even as I sit here, trapped.

Thanks,

2. YL says:
    March 31st, 2007 1:06 am

Tikanjoos and Gittaks of our streets (with their technical errors corrected) may improve our national side if they ever get a chance to show their skills. But the photographs make me wonder that will we ever give the required respect that our historical heritage and sites deserve! But, these pictures do show the passion that we have for cricket. And another positive indication is that we have found a useful function for the dust bin.

3. Faraz says:
    March 31st, 2007 1:17 am

Reading your article makes me feel nostalgic. I spent my childhood playing cricket, hockey and football in the streets as well, much to the annoyance of many of the neighbours. We had far too many nicknames for each other to list here. From what I hear, gali cricket is dead on my street now. That makes me sad.

4. Imran says:
    March 31st, 2007 4:09 am

Interesting post dude,

I just noticed one interesting thing about the images which is the short selections of the players and playing away from the body…

Typical Pakistani players :)…and might be future of Pakistan’s cricket.

5. Aqil Sajjad says:
    March 31st, 2007 6:59 am

Nice post. Reminds me of the good old days when I could play cricket.
    I did not play much street cricket except when I went to my khalla’s place where my cousins and I would usually play minus two in their street.
    In case you are wondering, minus two means every one bats for a fixed number of overs regardless of whether he gets out, but everytime he is dismissed, two runs are subtracted from his score. Later, we decided that the deduction would be 2 runs on the first dismissal, but then increase as 4, 6, 8, 10 and continue to be 10 thereafter.

There was also a rather unfriendly old gentleman in the street who would get mad at us whenever the ball landed in his lawn. One day he said to me while I was balling “aap aissi ball karain keh vo idhar maar hee na sakay” As if I was deliberately feeding lose balls to the batsman.
    Fortunately, the other people in the neighbourhood were nicer. Something inside me tells me that the ball used to land in his place more than other houses, or may be it’s just that I only remember it mostly going to his place because of the difficulty in retreiving it and getting scolded on a few ocasions.

6. March 31st, 2007 12:26 pm

Another good cricket related post. Speaking of mohallah cricket[with tape ball], it reminds me few local terms which pakistanis use while playing.

1)Batta bowler-Chukker. Usually batta bowler used to be good off-cutter bowlers.

2)2nd time out[or nth time]- If ball touches your body twice then you are considered out.

3)One tip out: If a batsman strokes and ball is grabbed before second bounce then it’s considerd out. Here “Tip” is a urdu slang.”Tappa” is also used as alternative.

Usually there is no concept of LBW in street cricket. How could it be when we even don’t hesitate to use dustbin as a wicket :-)

A very intresting Wiki Article about Street cricket could be read here. Though it doesn’t contain much of urdu terms for cricket.

7. mystic says:
    March 31st, 2007 1:52 pm

Mashallah, very well written..particularly the way you ended..

hum jis se pani peetay the, woh maTka aakhir TooT gaya

Wah !!

8. Kazim Aizaz Alam says:
    March 31st, 2007 3:24 pm

Ah nostalgia…

meray bachpan k din..kitney achey they din

9. Tamed~. says:
    March 31st, 2007 4:03 pm

I grew up in the area of Karachi, which is very famous for cricket (be it tape ball or proper cricket ball). Yes your guess is right, Nazimabad.

This area has given many cricketers to the national team & innumerous to domestic teams.

Like all the other readers, I felt very nostalgic as well.

I am impressed by the last few lines of the article.
    ‘The street looks deserted without a cricket wicket in the center and all the care free boys of yesteryears having grown up into men with responsibilities.)’

Because of many other forms of positive & negative diversions, I do not see cricket being played with that intensity on the streets of Karachi.

The author has failed to mention one thing,
    ‘Night tape ball cricket tournament’, which were a very famous happenings on the weekends.

I still remember, we had to contribute five to ten rupee each to pay for the ‘entry fee’ of the tournament. They were a charisma to play.
    In some of the tournaments, the organizers used to arrange running commentary as well.

Ah, good olden days.

March 31st, 2007 4:42 pm

Dear Tamed, thanks for reminding us about the night tournaments. I also remember playing in some tournaments where Live commentary was done on loud-speakers. Night cricket, street cricket and street cricket rules need a dedicated post of their own :)

March 31st, 2007 4:52 pm

Adnan and Aqil Sajjad saheb. Good recall of street cricket rules. I enjoyed reading your messages. One-tip out rule was usually employed when playing in small places like inside the house or when batsmen were too good for the bowling side

12. March 31st, 2007 5:04 pm

Tamed: Where block of Nazimabad? I used to be in Nazimabad No.1 and there was a lane[I forgot it's name] near Azeemi Dawakhana where there were arrangments for scoreboard and commentary. The style of scoring on notebooks was also a very intresting exercise.

Night cricket, street cricket

And Ramzan Cricket right after fajr namaz :-)

13. March 31st, 2007 5:09 pm

Oh yes another kind of street cricket, Curfew/strike cricket in 80s and mid 90s when deserted roads were the best place to play cricket for long hours in daytime.

14. Tamed~. says:
    March 31st, 2007 6:14 pm

Adnan,

Block 4 Nazimabad.

& you are right, maintaining scoring books was my first exposure of statistics (in its mildest form though).

The other very famous form of cricket in those days was double wicket tournaments, in which two allrounders in each side play against each other, they were given a fix number of overs to bat, every time a player was out a score of 2 or 4 runs was deducted from the score, the final score sometime could be negative as well!!

My favourite places to play in nazimabad were
    annu bhai park (before MMA, MQM & shadi caterers occupied that very reasonable playing ground) & community centre in Nazimabad block 4.

I must say Owais, I am really loving this post & I do feel great contributing my commenst.

15. April 1st, 2007 6:56 am

Another rule which I remember now was a single side run which was common in numbering format of cricket in which no batsman stands at non-striker end. You just have to run from striker to non-striker end and it’s considered a single run.

The toss system was also intresting. Instead of coins, we guys used to use pebbles.

Speaking of street cricket and not talking about knocking doors of people for asking balls. it used to be a wonderful experience,specially if your ball goes to a home where some hitler type aunty or uncle don’t get ready to return ball and you find no way other than cursing the person to mess with whole game :-)

16. Aqil Sajjad says:
    April 1st, 2007 10:10 am

Another feature of street cricket is that when they use bricks for wickets, they are usually placed much wider apart than they ought to be.

If you have proper stumps but are playing in the street, you need a red brick, which has holes in it so you can put the stumps in them.

Lbw rule: generally street cricket does not have lbw, so if you have proper batting technique and cover the stumps while facing, you can really irritate the bowling side.

17. Saad says:
    April 1st, 2007 10:36 am

The most interesting aspect of street cricket for me was ‘tape ball’. The way a tape gives weight to an otherwise light tennis ball and allows you to swing and move the ball of virtually any surface using the ‘grip’, makes the game play all the more interesting. And of course night cricket under ‘rented’ flood lights, another essential during Ramadan :D.

18. April 1st, 2007 2:14 pm

The most interesting aspect of street cricket for me was ‘tape ball’.

Generally tape ball helps to increase pace and “ganji” ball spins a lot, specially leg spin. This is my experience as a former medium fast bowler+leg spinner which could be different than others :-). mY delivery used to leg spin a lot like shane warne :D

19. Harris says:
    April 1st, 2007 2:33 pm

Very interesting article. Brought back some long forgotten memories. When I was little, my cousin who was a huge fan of Late Wasim Raja forced me to bat left handed even though I am naturally right handed. As a result I am a fully developed left handed batman now and can’t even touch the ball if I try to play right handed.

Street cricket will always have the honor of being the primary school for test cricket graduates. In Islamabad where I grew up, we used to have games in many residential streets. We even had “teams” made up of players who lived in neighboring streets and the rule was that in order to play in a specific team, you had to live in the pre-determined geographical area of that team.

Now I play with a leather ball clad in full kit on grounds dedicated for cricket in America, but the street cricket with tape ball in days when we had to collect donations just to buy a roll of Nitto tape (Rs/- 5) and an Ace ball (Rs/- 10)will always be near and dear to my heart.

Now that we are all remembering our glory days of street cricket I would like to add some terms that were frequently used in street cricket.

DALDA: The score added fraudulently to the batting team’s total since it was the batting team’s job to keep the score.

WATTA: The ball delivered with the jerk elbow action.

KHAPCHOO: Left handed batsman. Yours truly was the only one in our team.

TULLAY BAZ: A batsman who tried to hit every ball hard and hoped that one might go for a six. Much like Shahid Afridi.

SPINNER: A bowler who had no ability to ball fast was a self proclaimed spinner, even though he had no ability to spin either.

April 1st, 2007 3:31 pm

Harris, I enjoyed reading the definition of ‘Dalda’ :) Must admit, this was new for me.

21. Saad says:
    April 1st, 2007 11:59 pm

Adnan – tape makes the otherwise ‘hairy’ ball – smooth, it improves its aerodynamics :D thats why the added speed.

And yes, you’re right about the ganji ball spinning more, because it’s pure rubber against a hard surface :D

And how can you people forget the term..

Reloo Katta: A player who plays from both sides :D

22. Saad says:
    April 2nd, 2007 12:16 am

Ah well since everyone is recounting their old days, so should I.

We were not allowed to play Cricket in our school (Ibne Sina College, Lahore). Therefore no one would bring actual bats to the school lest they get punished for it. But being true to our Pakistani blood we had invented ways to make makeshift bats :D.
    We used to fasten examination clipboards with thick books with heavy binds, and this instrument used to act as our bat :D.

I also remember shattering the windows of one our classes while playing, after which both the teams went MIA (missing in action :D).

23. zakoota says:
    April 2nd, 2007 1:01 am

Very nice post indeed. This has brought so many memories back when I use to play cricket in the same fashion. One thing just came into my mind about this women, we used to call her “ainkoon wali”,as she used to wear thick glasses and was maintaining her lawn all the time and would never give our ball back. We all had to contribute 1 rupee each in order to get a new ball. A ‘tiger’ brand tennis ball costed Rs.5 and Dunlop would cost Rs.15. Anyways so many balls she kept and never returned. I remember she was looking at us from somewhere and would come out at the same time when the ball would hit her gate or go inside. W e all used to hide away when she would come out and start staring. She’d say ‘kabhi parh bhi liya karo, pata nahi tum logoon ko aur kohi kaam nahi’. I heard a few years back she died, may Allah SWT rest her soul in peace, Ameen.

Those times were fun. I wish i could turn back the clock. The night tournament started just a few weeks before our matric exams, now this was a tough decision as I was an ultra fast bowler and a match winner for our team and my team was so much dependent on me and yes definately I was a hard hitting batsman too. It was common in those times that all good players were both batsman and bowler, so anyways, I used to sneak out in the night and played almost all matches but unfortunately my team couldn’t win :(

One thing more I’d mention here if you are out on the very first ball, there was always this excuse, ‘o yaar try ball thee’ lol

O my goodness, lovely lovey times those were :)

24. Aqil Sajjad says:
    April 2nd, 2007 2:17 am

A tape ball can also be reverse swung like a real cricket ball by shining one side and letting the other get dirty. I remember being able to swing the tape ball, but never had any success in swinging the hard ball.

April 2nd, 2007 12:52 pm

Dear Zakoota, yes I remember the ‘first ball try ball’ :) :) phenomenon. Another terminology was ‘khalifa’. It was used for the captains who would promote themselves in battting order over other deserving batsmen :)

26. Allah Vasaya says:
    April 2nd, 2007 1:24 pm

Owais Mughal wrote:

LOL! this is so funny…I wonder how this term got coined :)

27. Tikka Billa. says:
    April 2nd, 2007 5:54 pm

You can see Khalifas everywhere in Pakistan,
    be that street cricket, national cricket,
    politics, government & army & now judicry as well.

P.S. I hope its not a contempt of court.

28. zakoota says:
    April 2nd, 2007 10:44 pm

Yes Owais, I know that term as well :)and do you remember the tape that we would use should only be ‘nitto’ brand and nothing else!

29. zakoota says:
    April 2nd, 2007 10:46 pm

and one thing more if the tape was not available at the corner store, we would bring a bucket of water and make the tennis ball wet as it used to come faster and heavier and one can play better off drives and cuts :)

April 3rd, 2007 12:56 pm

Yes, no compromise on Nitto tape. Only Nitto was used for cricket because of its superior quality. Japanese manufacturers of Nitto must be curious on as to why so much Nitto is demanded in Pakistan :)

31. Harris says:
    April 3rd, 2007 2:38 pm

I am sure Pakistan is one of the major markets for Nitto electrical tape even though half the country has no electricity :-)

When the tape ball revolution began in early 80′s I was a little kid but I vividly remember that at first there were only a couple of colors available in tape. By early 90′s Nitto was marketing tape in several colors and the most interesting of all was white that was used in the night tournaments.

April 3rd, 2007 3:18 pm

Dear Aqil Sajjad. To get swing out of tape ball we deliberately kept a slit (we called it ‘jhirri’ in Urdu) open where there was no tape. After sometime bowlers in our street had perfected the art of swing bowling by keeping the ‘jhirri’ either on the right or left. If we turned the ‘jhirri’ backwards, the ball started reverse swing. You gotta try it if haven’t already.

April 3rd, 2007 3:28 pm

Our street was basically ‘bowler gali’. We made all effort to provide extra advantage to bowlers so that more and more batsmen could get to bat (because of numbering). Therefore we used to keep ‘jhirri’ on tape ball to get swing and keep the batsman-bowler distance to 16-18 human steps which is much closer that standard 22 yards cricket pitch length.

The wierdest thing that we ever did to give bowlers extra advanage was to play with an oval ball. We wrapped tape on the ball so hard that it became oval (anda) shape. Batsman could never guess which way the ball would turn because oval shape leaves swing/turn all to a chance. This practise didn’t last long b/c batsmen complained and bowlers also didn’t like that swing/turn was left to chance instead of their own controlled swing.

April 3rd, 2007 3:35 pm

Dear Zakoota. I enjoyed reading your description of ‘ainkoN wali’ lady. We also had similar character who would never return our cricket ball. Once she even used a knife to cut the tennis ball into two pieces and then throw the two pieces out of the wall onto the road, where we shouting for her to return our ball :)

35. zakoota says:
    April 4th, 2007 12:39 am

My dear Owais , I guess these kind of characters exist in every community and neighborhood but still when I look back, I really enjoy even thinking of those times and the ‘dant’ that she used to give us even though we use to make our pitch much away from her house.

I wonder if kids of today enjoy as much as we used to, cuz I dont know but I feel that people’s attitudes have also changed and the sincerity and affection is gone!

36. April 4th, 2007 1:36 am

LOL @ Khalifa. I thought this “khalifa” thing was just associated with my mohallah but guess it’s also one of global term of street cricket. :-)

I guess these kind of characters exist in every community and neighborhood

yes. Without such characters street cricket is very boring.

37. April 4th, 2007 1:41 am

Amazing. I wonder how did she do that? Seems like an art :-)

Speaking of tape ball, I remmeber sometimes a friend of mine used to apply double tape. He did tell me the reason but I don’t remember anymore.

38. Aqil Sajjad says:
    April 4th, 2007 3:03 am

Talking of different colours for tape, what I remember is that white tape came much later, and its quality was not very good; it used to wear out very quickly. Is that still the case or is there better white tape as well now?

39. Nasir Ali says:
    April 5th, 2007 12:56 pm

Owias Bhai..

An article which definately brought back some good old times….

With all this … there was always a player in the team, who is Karta Tharta (just like you)…who is always first one on the field ( by field I meant gali) and then he starts ringing bell of all the other players…in better days, start calling them from Zuhr…if there is a match in the evening.

Thanks for bringing back our good old memories….

April 5th, 2007 1:19 pm

Nasir sahih kaha. It is said that behind every successful cricket team there is a ‘khwaar’ manager :) This guy doesn’t play very well himself because ‘dil ke armaaN aaNso’ouN meiN beh gayay’ but he tirelessly loves to arrange matches, collect players from their homes, arrange for lunches and logistics and then watch the game from sidelines. Cricket is alive because of personalities like such.

April 5th, 2007 4:25 pm

I just remembered this. Street cricket was not totally devoid of gentlemanly or literary language. Some gems of literary genius kept pouring at certain instances.

If a batsman was repeatedly passed over in batting order then this dejected batsman used to sing this ‘misra’ to Captain with ‘tarannum’:

yaar!!!

“hum bhi to paRay haiN raahoN meiN”

Complete sher is:

dil toRnay waalay dekh ke chal
    hum bhi to paRay haiN raahoN meiN

(thanks to Harris, who told me correct sher)

42. Harris says:
    April 5th, 2007 4:47 pm

“Dil torne wale dekh ke chal
    Hum bhi tou paray hain rahon mei”

And don’t forget a youngter present at some games (someone’s little brother or cousin) who had to be bowled to slowly. The fact that the cricket bat was too big for him never slowed him down.

I was that youngster once :)

43. Harris says:
    April 5th, 2007 4:49 pm

Sorry for the double post but just remembered that ghazal in the voice of Iqbal Bano.

Ulfat ki nayi manzal ko chala
    Tu baanhein daal ke baanhon mei

Dil torne walay dekh ke chal
    Hum bhi tou paray hain rahon mei.

April 9th, 2007 10:42 pm

April 27th, 2007 11:21 pm
  46. Asim Abdali says:
    November 15th, 2007 3:25 am

another part of tapeball cricket is (chanda) collecting money for cricket bat , tennis ball and tape

47. taimoor says:
    December 23rd, 2007 2:17 am

hi
    i really enjoyed the tikanjoo one and i know that all the great players are in the streets of pakistan while the bribers went to the team. we shouild take care of, em and plz come to multan for a cricket review …..you would be very happy.

48. Malique says:
    December 25th, 2007 1:38 pm

I have hard time forgetting about my finest and fascinated cricket bats that I had demanded as a gift from an uncle coming back from Sialkot,but got stolen on the way back.
    Plus couldn’t help laughing out loud when I think why our cricket ball “ALWAYS” landed on some bulb,Haandi or Daadi’s head in Mr.Shatoongri’s home-my next door neighbor.
    I’d rather spare you the details of my brother being beaten with a bat by a bully.

December 26th, 2007 1:08 am

Malique, you made me smile at the word ‘Mr Shatoongri’ :) I also broke a bulb in neighbors home with a left-handed shot when we were playing ‘choti (small) cricket’. We invented this version to play in home backyards where we did under-arm bowling and played ‘left handed’ to reduce the game’s intensity. Still I managed to land a shot at a bulb and it effectively ended the game of ‘choti cricket’ from our street

50. December 26th, 2007 2:36 am

Nice post, remind me my childhood.

December 31st, 2007 4:12 pm

Another thing i remember from our street cricket days were certain code words which our team had created to trick opposite teams. Usually these were Urdu sentences spoken backwards and sounded hilarious. We had lots of fun with these. e.g

1. “Tool wal”: This was ‘loot lo’ in Urdu read backwards. We used it to tell batsmen to score as much as they can whenever a ‘halka’ (easy) bowler was bowling.

2. “wad ghaab”: This was ‘do bhaag’ in Urdu read backwards. This was used when batsmen needed to convert a single run into couple.

etc etc

January 30th, 2008 10:26 pm

53. arsalan says:
    April 18th, 2008 11:23 am

i just wanted to say that cricket is a good game and needs to be e good game in pakistan s0 pakistan can be good at playing thae game and always defeat other countries in cricket.