Picture of the Day: Welcoming the ‘Check’ Prime Minister

Posted on May 11, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Foreign Relations, Photo of the Day, Pinglish

On your left is the picture of the flag of the Czech Republic. On your right is a ‘Check’ (or, rather, checkered flag; often used in car racing. The two should never be confused. Except for the fact that ‘Czech’ is pronounced as ‘check.’

Ordinarily, this should not be a problem. But right now the Prime Minister of the Czech Republic is visiting Islamabad, and the Capital’s PR people have adorned flags on flagpoles and a number of (very) large banners to welcome him in the spirit of good hospitality. The only problem is that instead of putting the ‘Czech’ flags on the banners, they have ‘Check’ flags!

I saw these while driving back into Islamabad on the from the Airport. I rushed back to see if I would figure out who was responsible for this little gaffe and maybe alert them to the mistake before the Czech PM arrived. Unfortunately, it turned out that the Czech PM was already here.

I wonder what he and his team thought of this. Did they even mention it to their hosts or did they just keep politely quiet? I also wonder what they thought about the banner that read: “We Pray for the Czech Progress and Prosperity”?I am sure they liked the sentiment, but maybe they also wondered why Pakistanis are praying for Czech progress and prosperity instead of working harder for Pakistani progress or prosperity. On the other hand, maybe they do not think as hard about what is written on banners as I do!

I have no way of knowing this, but my theory of how this might have happened is this – Someone tells someone to find out what a Czech (read ‘check’) flag looks like; they look up ‘check flag’ on Google, and that is the one which makes it way on the banner.

257 Comments on “Picture of the Day: Welcoming the ‘Check’ Prime Minister”

1. Nasir says:
    May 11th, 2007 10:39 am

2. AH says:
    May 11th, 2007 10:40 am

This is yet another example of the incompetence and attitude that one finds throughout the country. The worst thing, even more than what the banner makers did, would be if the PM’s entourage to have expected this and were not surprised.

3. Nasir says:
    May 11th, 2007 10:45 am

[quote]“We Pray for the Czech Progress and Prosperityâ€

4. lida says:
    May 11th, 2007 11:07 am

Well I think ” Bashira in trouble ” in the minister of Spelling in Pakistan.
    Another example of NO Czech and BALANCES in Pakistan. Pakistan Ka matlab Kiya= Sub Chalta Hai Yaar. I Think this flag is used by FIFA :)
    It would have been funnier if they said ” we pray for CZECH PM’s security”

5. BitterTruth says:
    May 11th, 2007 11:31 am

[quote]
    This is like the prayer you get from a faqir when he is expecting something. We are pretty expert in this from the street to the international levels.[/quote]
    :D :D

6. ahsan says:
    May 11th, 2007 11:41 am

I am still laughing. If the same is done with a Pakistni flag, it will be another laugh. But this possibility almost zero. Others are not Pakistanis!

7. Shararti Busharti says:
    May 11th, 2007 11:51 am

But u bet it is funnyyyyyyyyyyyyy

8. Akif Nizam says:
    May 11th, 2007 12:11 pm

…beyond belief !

9. zakoota says:
    May 11th, 2007 1:02 pm

lol lol lol………..can u believe that!!!

Trust me I laughed for atleast 3 minutes without a break on this ultimate stupidity…..this is almost unbelievable!

10. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    May 11th, 2007 2:12 pm

“PRIME MINISTER H.E. MR. MIREK TOPOLANEK.”

Only in Islamabad one could be “PRIME MINISTER”…”HIS EXCILENCY”…and “MISTER” all in one breath and in that order. Forget ‘redundancy’…lets usher in ‘tri-dun-dancy’. On top of that lets “PRAY” for the poor soul, preferably in ‘lal masjad’. Show them ‘checks’ some ‘WARM’ (not hot) Pakistani Hospitality. Oh I love the innocence of my people.

11. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    May 11th, 2007 2:18 pm

“PRIME MINISTER H.E. MR. MIREK TOPOLANEK.â€

12. AH says:
    May 11th, 2007 3:03 pm

Shararti: Comparing us to Bush’s intellect may be the worst insult of them all.

13. AKRAM LAHORI says:
    May 12th, 2007 2:04 am

No I have not seen anything in newspapers here. Maybe in Islamabad newspapers. Will be really sad if no one even knows of how big mistake they have made.

14. SMK says:
    May 11th, 2007 4:30 pm

I think this is more sad than funny. But how many people here could have guessed what the Czech flag looks like before this post. I could not.

Also, intersting that I have not seen any word of this mistake in Islamabad papers. Maybe they did not even catch it! Too busy running after CJ

15. May 11th, 2007 4:39 pm

Everybody is playing double double game and just inreasing wealth. Nobody care what is difference between Check and Czech.
    I also noticed a funyy picture on display board and made it picture of the day for my blog http://www.mypakistan.com/?p=557 . It is showing another kind of Jhalat. It is worth to see and read it.

16. Shariq Abbasi says:
    May 11th, 2007 5:07 pm

Nothing to laugh about..I was disappointed and sad to see this and it speaks volumes about the quality in general in Pakistan and the level of incompetence. Very disturbing to say the least.

17. May 11th, 2007 5:40 pm

An utter shock! I thought its photoshopped.
    I mean someone really thought this could be the flag of a country?
    amazing!

18. mullah jat! says:
    May 11th, 2007 6:17 pm

Could be worse….

Welcome to Turkish President (picture of a turkey),  etc etc etc.

I love the we pray for the safety of check pm

19. Jake says:
    May 12th, 2007 3:36 pm

20. mystic says:
    May 11th, 2007 7:09 pm

It tells about intellectual poverty of our “phoran” ministry…

Hur shaakh pe ullu betha hai, anjaame gulistan kiya hoga

21. HASSAN' says:
    May 11th, 2007 7:28 pm

@ This is like the prayer you get from a faqir when he is expecting something. We are pretty expert in this from the street to the international levels.

u r right

22. Sharuk says:
    May 11th, 2007 7:47 pm

Dear mypakistan.com a.k.a Mera Pakistan
    I can understand that you have tremendous love for urdu language that you have published a website in it (lots-n-lots of hard work!) but I think when you call homepage/home = “Ghar” it sounds weird. Just look at the header of this site, you will see that its main-page/home is called Frontpage which is web 2.0

You could call it “saray-e-work” or “awwal-safa” or just simply “frontage” is my suggestion

i hope it adds one more star to your site

23. Moeen Bhatti says:
    May 11th, 2007 7:55 pm

24. TURBINATOR says:
    May 11th, 2007 8:17 pm

well, i dont know whether to laught at it or feel ashamed about it!

25. mahi says:
    May 11th, 2007 8:46 pm

[quote comment="46818"][quote]
    :D :D[/quote]

Hilarious Nasir :)

This post is the most hilarious I’ve seen on ATP yet! Just too funny. But its impossible to believe someone thought this could be a country’s flag!

26. Zia says:
    May 11th, 2007 10:21 pm

Disgustingly funny. Don’t tell me it really happened!
    Hats off to Our ELITE politicians, bureaucrats and generals.

27. Eidee Man says:
    May 11th, 2007 10:25 pm

[quote comment="46809"]This is really funny…can you imagine the Jahliat…or may be all the learned have better things to do (than to worry about correct flag) like attending rallies..[/quote]

Hahahaah..yeah.

28. Ali says:
    May 11th, 2007 11:03 pm

It’s pretty funny (from a Pakistani Point of View) I wonder why no one reported this (Newspapers, TV etc..) the leader of a country is coming and they put that up, I’m sure it was unintentional but still. I’m surprised no government official noticed and/or reported it.

29. SMK says:
    May 12th, 2007 1:26 am

Who took the pictures? Is this by author?

30. Sajjad says:
    May 12th, 2007 3:20 am

A couple of “crossed” check flags are the first result if you search for “check flag” on Google Images. They just changed the flag on the right to that of Pakistan. Maybe Google should have figured out that a “check flag” isn’t of much use in Pakistan and suggested “czech flag” instead.

As for the banners, I see them go up and down everyday. Though it is nothing compared to all the other huge wastages of resources, isn’t this another non-essential use of tax-payer money? I mean a foreign diginitary travelling at high speeds while chatting with their Pakistani counterpart would hardly bother with a banner on an overhead bridge. They must seem strange to most foreigners, even if they do see them, since it isn’t a common practice in most places.

31. jayjay says:
    May 12th, 2007 3:42 am

[quote post="699"] “We Pray for the Czech Progress and Prosperityâ€

32. Bilal Zubairi says:
    May 12th, 2007 3:42 am

May be they meant by coming to Pakistan and after crossing this Bridge you have won the Hearts of Pakistani People…But I am quit sure that this heavy load of Intiutions is non-existent in Mushahraf’s Administartion.
    Nevertheless, keep up the good work….it does crack me up!

33. Aurakzai says:
    May 12th, 2007 5:13 am

well i am pretty disappointed with this. while looking at pakistan internationally i see that we dont have any capacity for such blunders. this is not funny this is actually very disturbing and thought arousing. what will happen to our country if they dont know the difference between a check and a czech. i am very concerned. God help us to think for a change and show love and concern for our country.

34. Viki.NET® says:
    May 12th, 2007 11:30 am

I’m not shocked and I’ll not blame anyone because the whole government is busy with president in his political jaloose and jalsaas.

They might haven’t much time to validate this minor thing.

35. SirKit says:
    May 12th, 2007 12:59 pm

THey wanted to put the picture of a real check, but the ammount wouldn’t fit on the billboard

36. mahi says:
    May 13th, 2007 1:01 am

[quote comment="46881"][quote post="699"] “We Pray for the Czech Progress and Prosperityâ€

37. HAHA says:
    May 13th, 2007 4:36 pm

WOW WHY ARE ALL TALKING AND THINKING WELL EVERY ONE KNOWS THAT OUR TOP IS TECHNICALLY THE BOTTOME OF THE COUNTRY, ALL VERY VERY LITERATE AND WELL YOU KNOW IT ALL

38. Faisal says:
    May 13th, 2007 7:03 pm

Sh*t, how am i gonna share it with my czech friends? and i guess the poor guy who did this must be in hot waters!

39. Sacha Pakistani says:
    May 17th, 2007 7:31 pm

I am amazed at those who think that this should be hushed up and not talked about. For God’s sake, isn’t it better to point out mistakes so that we learn not to make them again. How long will we keep throwing our dirt under the carpet.

Nationalism is not keeping quiet about your mistakes. True nationalism is working to make sure that mistakes dont happen again.

Thank you ATP for highlighting this. And sorry any Czech readers for this mistake. Forgive us for it is a silly mistake and not meant to offend you.

40. Shuaib says:
    May 14th, 2007 10:17 am

Ahem! I must say, nice observation. You get a +1 promotion in the list of people who love criticizing their own nation for any reason they can find. :)

But even with that little piece of sarcasm, I must say again, nice observation!

41. Sajeel Vehra says:
    May 14th, 2007 1:23 pm
  42. Sajid says:
    May 15th, 2007 5:59 am

43. Imi says:
    May 15th, 2007 8:37 am

44. spritooflife says:
    May 15th, 2007 11:45 pm

[quote comment="46811"][quote]“We Pray for the Czech Progress and Prosperityâ€

45. Adnan says:
    May 16th, 2007 12:36 am

I was very dissapointed when I saw the pictures and the report..how can we mess something like this up??? and how come no one noticed it??

46. Dokta says:
    May 16th, 2007 3:04 am

[quote comment="47367"]Wait wait Gentlemen.I guess we only think of what we see.Never forget u r seeing this picture on Digital Media,and there is a 100% chance one can superimposed digital picture, as in near past there was a news picture revealing the discovery of Giant human skeleton,but later the mystery revealed in a truth that pic is nothing but a superimposed image so….Always Think out of the box…[/quote]

Are you kidding me? people are conspiring to make us look bad? I think this is something we do not need external assistance with.

47. Pakistani says:
    May 18th, 2007 10:08 am

As so many other Pakistanis have said here. This is a stupid, stupid mistake. We apologize to any Czech readers for this. We really are sorry. I don’t think anyone is defending this. As the post points out it shows ignorance and we are sorry for that. I hope our Czech friends will understand that this is a mistake.

48. Rehan says:
    May 16th, 2007 3:47 am

It shows how qualified our govenment guys are and it also reveals the level of check and balance on any official activity here in this country. What a shame !!!!!!!!

49. Pakistani Nationalist: Apparently a Dying Breed says:
    May 16th, 2007 3:59 am

All Pakistani’s should not be so thirsty of blood to immediately start bashing their own country and in turn themselves. Do you realize how incredibly stupid and “jahil” it sounds to be seemingly perched in an attacking stance to jump down the throats of any mistake that anyone makes?
    Yes it’s a mistake, I saw it also and really the only thought I had was that it was a very silly “typoâ€

50. Zubair Younas says:
    May 16th, 2007 4:08 am

That is so great to see one more “efficiencyâ€

51. Pakistani Nationalist: Apparently a Dying Breed says:
    May 16th, 2007 4:25 am

Another thing: You have to earn the right to complain. Get out there, get your hands dirty. If youve tried everything and you are honestly convinced that Pakistan problems are “unsolvable” (which no problem is), then maybe it would be acceptable to complain like this. By all means proceed to call yourselves Jahil and Incompetent once you have actually tried.
    Also– at least have even a semblance of a united front in internationally public arenas.

52. saara says:
    May 16th, 2007 7:06 am

if this really happened its sad……but i cant believe it still….and am hoping somone played a prank and its some digitally tampered image…to create laughs.

53. babar hayat says:
    May 16th, 2007 8:47 am

its neither funny nor amzing 4 me.when the president of pakistan or some former prime minister couldt speak urdu properly.then what u can imagine abt people of pakistan.when u have minister (like law and etc) then u can say they can write an abusive language on these banners.ohhhhhhhhhhhh Allah hum sab ko hadiat day.ameen

54. Shah says:
    May 16th, 2007 10:48 am

It saddens me!

55. ayesha sajid says:
    May 16th, 2007 2:30 pm

it is neither funny nor a gaff , it made me hang my head in shame …. shows absolute apathy and retardness !!
    and then we wonder why we are where are even after almost 60 years !!

56. Pepa says:
    May 17th, 2007 1:09 am

As you see… things like this happen.

57. Ahsun says:
    May 17th, 2007 1:52 am

This is the funniest thing i have seen in days.

58. djKewl says:
    May 17th, 2007 4:56 am

as much as i found this to be funny, i do believe that the checkered flag was put in their not to symbolize the Czech flag, rather the high speed of progress on which the pak country is going on currently. nonetheless, if a msg was being conveyed to the visiting dignitary – then he was to read under the lines — that he was on the fast track to reach the safety of his embassy :-)

May 17th, 2007 9:28 am

The height of ignorance

60. Luqman Alvi says:
    May 17th, 2007 12:20 pm

This is incredibly hilarious. Perhaps I’ll feel some shame after the mirth wears off. Probably not though, considering the previous stellar track record of our wonderful nation in matters like this.

61. Michael says:
    May 18th, 2007 1:36 am

Hi guys,

I am from Czech (for pakistani from Check :-) ) and have been working with people from Pakistan a couple of years and therefore this is not a surprise for me. It is only showing the true picture about your nation and systems…

PS: By the way, thank you for praying for our prosperity.

Michael

62. Michael says:
    May 18th, 2007 2:17 am

Hi guys,

I am from Czech (for pakistani from Check ) and have been working with people from Pakistan a couple of years and therefore this is not a surprise for me. It is only showing the true picture about your nation and systems…

PS: By the way, thank you for praying for our prosperity.

Michael

One more last comment: If this would happen in opposite way, in Pakistan will be spending time by burning our national flags on the streets right now and may be thinking about something worse… That’s exactly the one way of tolerance. We tolerate many things because of freedom expressions and democracy, but people in Islamic countries do not tolerate anything… As an example: There are many mosques in Europe already, but try to build Christian church in Saudi Arabia…

63. May 18th, 2007 5:22 am

Michael – in response to your ‘church complaint’ I am pasting a link below. Please educate yourself before making accusations again a nation and it’s people.

64. May 18th, 2007 5:27 am

And another thing…why is it that ignorant europeans always find some way of connecting Pakistanis to Arabs, simply because of the religion both happen to share? What does Saudi Arabia have to do with this discussion board? True muslims have nothing against Christians or any other religion, so please stop whining about it.

65. Michael says:
    May 18th, 2007 6:52 am

Dear globe trotter,

you call me ignorant european? You? Look please on the top of this page before you start discussion about education…
    Anyway, I do not connect Pakistani with Arabs, where did you get this perception?
    About churches in Pakistan I have heard as well, several weaks ago at least one was burn to ashes…

Good bless you,
    Have a nice day.

66. Gabi says:
    May 18th, 2007 6:53 am

Micheal, i am from czech as well and i agree, you shortly wrote how IT IS(..with any big future progress from my side of view) and we both can judge since we have the experiences….. i lived in islamabad almost one year and when i asked my friends in czech rep. how is this “failer” taken, most of them dont even know about it..!
    BUT can you imagine we do the mistake in our country, ohlala,ALL muslims no matter from where, of course easter-than worse, will make big thing out of it FOR SURE !

Anyway it won’t happen.. our PR in government know how to google a flag!

Woman!
    Gabi

67. Gabi says:
    May 18th, 2007 6:56 am

UPS i see we are two Gabis here, thanks for support :o)

68. Khaled says:
    May 18th, 2007 7:30 am

Hi all.
    It’s a discrace to even see such an ignorant and plump mistake done by the great nation of Pakistan. I urge all czech people to protest, rally the streats, scream and burn the Pakistani flag, make dolls of the Pakistani president and burn him as well since I am SURE after living and working in pakistan for along time THIS WILL HAPPEN IN PAKISTAN if it was the other way around.
    NO! I do not need to educate myself about the Pakistani peolpe, cultur of religion, I have been there, I have done it and I have the t-shirt.

69. ursani says:
    May 18th, 2007 7:33 am

Globe trotter please dont bring ur ingorant and uncultured youtube culture here there are ways to argue, clearly its the mistake of our officials resposnsible for this,Gabi and Micheal are right to point this out ( we also know what would our reaction will be if it happened otherwise).I live in canada and i know how tolerant the society here is for other religions i wish we can follow that.Gabi and Micheal i personally apologise as a Pakistani for this stupid mistake of ours.

70. Gabi says:
    May 18th, 2007 8:45 am

You see Ursani and you explain the problem as well, all pakistani people which are tolerant, smart and open for changes and better education are out of the country(i dont blame you, just pitty the situation…)

Your country is so beautiful and “potential” for everything… how nice it would be if we can just jump on the plane(why i need visa?) and go to Pakistan and travel around without permanent panic about our lives(especially on the north, which is the best- karakoram highway, Skardu…) Your people will make money and pray as much as they want anyway and everyone will be happy….

Well this discussion can be endless, i am in west africa now and miss fresh fruits and vegetables from Islamabad markets!:O)
    Everywhere is something! BUT the possibilities you have in Pakistan are worth to try to change things, especially for young, not brain washed people(g.trotter) …!!!!

71. Jirka says:
    May 18th, 2007 8:56 am

Hi all!
    I am also from the Czech Republic. However, I do not completely agree with Gabi and Michael. The mistake with the flag was stupid, but come on, we all are just people who make mistakes. People in the Czech Republic are not ideal either. I think simple “Sorry for the mistake” would be enough and no need to exaggarate this.
    Wish a nice day to all!
    J.

72. VACLAV S. says:
    May 18th, 2007 10:16 am

This is a silly mistake. I am happy to see reaction and apology from so many Pakistanis. In a world where everyone is always so angry and ready to fight for honor this is small thing. I am sure our prime minister woudl have laughed off and accepted Pakistan apology. We all do too. Its a global world now and we all need to learn to live with and about all others in world.

Peace, all.

73. Mushtaq H.Bhatti says:
    May 18th, 2007 10:27 am

God may help our Rulers and their advisers to concentrate
    in other serious subjects than the politics etc.

74. jilm says:
    May 18th, 2007 11:22 am

The Check Republic Prays for the Pakistani Progress and Prosperity. :-)

75. dd says:
    May 18th, 2007 11:58 am

Hi all,
    I am from the Czech republic (and I was in Pakistan too, and will go again this year). From my point of view, our PM didn’t notice this at all or he was too shy to ask. It didn’t touch our news at all, which is quite unusuall, because this is not first time when we see something like this.
    Czech republic is a small young country in the middle of the Europe (population equal to Lahore + Islamabad) and I can provide many examples like screenshot from CNN etc. where Czech rep has border with Iraq, capital from different country, or placed somewhere into former Yugoslavia…
    I think he didn’t expecting there should be our flag and he was looking somewhere else anyway.

I can say,that there is nobody in Czech rep. who will take this as some kind of offence or something.

76. Ivo says:
    May 18th, 2007 12:42 pm

I cant imagine better advertisement of the Czech Rep. in Pakistan :).
    Our pakistani fellows now study maps and maybe history of that little country in the hearth of Europe. Guys dont worry, it happens and I am sure that it will not disturb Czech-Pakistan relation at all.

77. Daktar says:
    May 18th, 2007 12:52 pm

But yes I have also learnt.

78. Dudu says:
    May 18th, 2007 1:21 pm

Yeah, as stated above, we witness this almost everyday. Very often, the name of the country (=Czech Republic) is maimed into either Check, Chechz etc etc etc… That is even a good variant. Usually some less wise people mistake the Czech Rep. with Chechnya and so on… We are used to it.

It really cracked me up seeing the checkerboard there, LOL.

On the other hand, they Pakistani side should czech whether it’s correct before posting the flag. :)

Cheers from Prague,
    Dudu

79. Romi says:
    May 18th, 2007 1:58 pm

I’m from Check Republic too and I’m amused :)) Very good joke :))

80. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    May 18th, 2007 2:05 pm

To our Czech friends: We are very happy that so many Czechs are visiting this purely Pakistani site. This little mistake, most likely on the part of the printing company, has provided an opportunity for all of us to learn about others. Please make ATP as a regular visiting place. We will tell you about our next goof and you may tell us about yours. This makes life that much more interesting. Long live Czech Republic.

81. ursani says:
    May 18th, 2007 2:26 pm

well its nice to see that our czech friends have ignored/forgave this mistake, personaly i know ur flag since 1993 when Czechoslovakia peacefully split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
    (velvet divorce).On the lighter side of life accept this chequered flag for Jaroslav ‘Jarek’ JaniÅ¡ i hope he will win Formula 1 for u,the Germans had their glory.

82. Shahab Khan says:
    May 18th, 2007 3:11 pm

THIS IS WHAT A QUOTA SYSTEM BRINGS INTO THE SYSTEM:-)

83. Shahab Khan says:
    May 18th, 2007 3:17 pm

84. David says:
    May 18th, 2007 3:43 pm

Greetings from the Czech republic! :-)

That picture is funny, but it’s nothing tragic. So the Czechs may laugh, but they will forgive you immediately. Nothing to worry about.

Have nice day!

PS. I got this link from a friend… and thanks to this I discovered this interesting site.

PPS. If you want to know more than just how the flag looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_republic

85. David says:
    May 18th, 2007 3:47 pm

[quote comment="47688"]Does Any body know what is the meaning of the “PRIME MINISTER H.E. MR. MIREK TOPOLANEK” I hope the meaning of TOPOLANEK is good.[/quote]
    Mirek Topolanek is the name of the prime minister of the Czech republic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirek_Topol%C3%A1nek

H.E. I guess stands for His Excellency: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style_%28manner_of_address%29#In_diplomacy

Have nice day!

86. Those says:
    May 18th, 2007 3:59 pm

I find it interesting that the banners are in english.

As for the mistake it probably was not from a government official. They likely just called up a banner store and told them what they wanted. If their printing shops are anything like Kinkos in the US they’re lucky they at least got the Pakistani flag right.

87. Posraldesku says:
    May 18th, 2007 8:03 pm

The name TOPOLANEK is in Czech language a minituarizarion of the Czech word TOPOL = Poplar. Under the expression TOPOLANEK is to understand a small, crooked, deformed, poor, something to feel sorry about, a misfit shrub growing high in the mountains with no use to anyone. And that is exactly what the majority of Czechs think about this man. Why in the name of God he travels of all countries to Pakistan – escapes anyone’s sane mind.

88. Bhanurekha says:
    May 18th, 2007 9:57 pm

This is a prime example of “sifarish” in Pak and “muthi garam” scenario. Meritocracy is as vaguely understood as democracy, in Pak. I bet no one will be called to the carpet for this either. Funny and very very revealing about the nation and the false sentiments it propogates. As far as importance of propaganda over education, let me share my childhood experience in karachi. As a young girl I remember being humiliated by being dragged to the street and wave at Zia’s motorcades in Karachi. It was an even bigger deal when some Arab VIP came as well. THAT was more important than my class? We are reaping what we sowed ages ago.

89. Martin from Check says:
    May 18th, 2007 10:37 pm

[quote comment="47511"]Dear friends, I went throuhg all the major Czech papeprs. There is not a word about this check flag welcome. And even if anyone noticed, we should be the last to point this out. We have enough butter on our heads just from recent football world cup qualification game with Germany here in Prague. Our aging pop star was asked to sing the German national antom before the game. She really dressed well for the occassion. But putting all that make up, having her hair done and all that took her probably so much time, that she had none left to learn the lyrics of German antom properly… You should see the confused faces of German national team players… They were trying to sing along with her, but it was not easy at all as our singer totally messed the lyrics up, forgot some part, repeated other…
    As you see… things like this happen.
    I think that stressing the fact, that game of chess is quite popular in the Czech Republic was a nice welcome to our PM :).[/quote]

(And street racing is quite popular too. Specially among politicians)

Unqualified assent. And big point for Pakistan´s jokers, printing company and Islamabad´s PR people. It really cracked me up seeing the checkerboard there.

BTW Checkboard is a part of one part of our national emblem. Silver-and-red chequered eagle in a shield of blue is the emblem of Moravia, region from where is Topolanek. So there is some connection:):)

90. Martin from Check says:
    May 18th, 2007 10:56 pm

Plus important notice, please all Pakistani here, don´t worry about this “incident”. Similar things happening all around the world every day. As someone told, there is nobody (normal) in Czech rep. who will take this as some kind of offence or something.

91. Czech mate says:
    May 19th, 2007 2:40 am

Great story guys!!! Its fantastic that we from small country in Europe have the possibility to see, that also big country in Asia have the same number of idiots in goverment. It really makes me feel part of global familly and whole world should check this out ;)

92. Nikola says:
    May 19th, 2007 3:47 am

[quote comment="47676"]Thanks to all Czech friends for thier understanding. But as a Paksitani I am ashamed and sorry for this mistake, really.

But yes I have also learnt.

I never really knew what the Czech flag looked like. Now I wil never forget it ever :-)[/quote]

that would be a cool way to learn all the countries’ flags, no? he-he-he! :D

93. Zed says:
    May 19th, 2007 5:03 am

Salaam aleikum.To be exact, after the split of Czechoslovakia as it was known to you in Jan.1993, there were some opinions to call the Czech and Moravian part with Silesia simply Czechia.GOV rejected it. Then, the possibility was to call it Bohemia, this was the name used for centuries.Was rejected too.Why? In some other european languages the word bohemian means gipsy.And there are gipsy or roma population that migrated 7 centuries ago from Balkans here, but not every inhabitant here is roma.When Czechia or Bohemia rejected, only those check /czech remain.Sure, sometimes an immigration ask me: what is czech-,czech out, check in all is fonetically Ä

94. kaniobal says:
    May 19th, 2007 5:27 am

[quote comment="46820"]When Bush can mix up b/w Musharraf and Vajpayee, why not some idiot at the Foreign Ministry, CDA or for that matter whosoever.

But u bet it is funnyyyyyyyyyyyyy[/quote]

’cause USA is great country, so there can be much more idiots, than in pakistan :). well, our(czech) symbols are often confused. even in our country. but they’re only symbols, so it’s much more about fun, than about shame or something…

95. kaniobal says:
    May 19th, 2007 5:28 am

[quote comment="46850"]An utter shock! I thought its photoshopped.
    I mean someone really thought this could be the flag of a country?
    amazing![/quote]
    :D

96. kaniobal says:
    May 19th, 2007 5:30 am

why you speak english on pakistan web? i thought you speak in arabic.

97. May 19th, 2007 5:47 am

Greetings fellas

This is a quite funny story and ( as others ) I think that noone will be disturbed by it.

The most funny thing for me is the text of praying banner. Its a bit strange to pray for country, where almost noone believe in god or allah ( 40% of population are christians and 90% of them believe really slightly ). Most of local clerics are just for fun and by majority of my friends called “black asses” ( cos of their robes ).

I have no experience of visiting pakistan or middle east at all, but if most of people there are like you guys present on this page, I dont think you have to pray for anything, your success its already on it way. Good luck.

BTW one Czech proverb says “fun has to be, even if theyre hanging your father”.

98. Pavel says:
    May 19th, 2007 6:29 am

I am Czech and I find the whole story very funny.
    And you, Pakistanis, you don’t need to apologise for the stupidity of your authorities and government.
    Imagine what would happen if all peoples across the globe would do so! We would all spend our time apologising since it is seems that not only the world is run by idiot Bush, but individual countries are run by idiots too. :))
    And I must also assure you that similar kind of debates are on the Czech websites. the only difference is that there is more of a racist abuse on Czech websites – the likes Gabi or Michael on this website.
    Anyway, I am quite sure that Topolanek wouldn’t know how Pakistani flag look like either.

99. Michael says:
    May 19th, 2007 9:26 am

Hi All,

I thing this is great forum – because of great people, for me the apology is accepted as well. It’s nice to see good people apologize even it is a mistake from others, that’s really nice…
    For Czech people reacting on my comments:
    Ja jsem prozil sedum let v tehle krajich a vim, jak to tady chodi, kdo nezna osobne tyto narody, at se k me pripomince radsi nevyjadruje protoze vubec nevi o cem mluvi…ale vubec…

For All: keep the great spirit,
    a salaam walejkuum.

100. Daktar says:
    May 19th, 2007 10:58 am

Thanks again to all Czech friends for their understadning.

I am from a city in Pakistan called Lahore and from your comments it seems that many Czech people are also from Lahore! (I say this because people from Lahore pride themselves over finding something to laugh about even in uncomfortable situations!).

Also, since I have learnt about your country from this, let me just clarify two things that most people get wrong about Pakistan – We are a Muslim country but we are NOT in the Middle East and do NOT speak Arabic. We speak a language called Urdu. Because we were colonized by the British, English is spoken commonly, specially by the educated classes. This is why this site is in English. There are also many Pakistani websites in Urdu.

So, overall, it seems a lot of good exchange HAS come out of this unfortunate gaffe!

101. check man says:
    May 19th, 2007 12:16 pm

Hi! I´m a “check” guy and this mistake is funny :) We all laugh in here :) It happens…

102. Mirco says:
    May 19th, 2007 12:36 pm

Hi all!

Very funny blunder, but as many people here already said, we from Czechia (yes, despite what Zed said, official english one-word name for our contry IS Czechia) are quite used to it – I saw a snapshot from CNN with “Switzerland” written over our map (well I wouldn’t mind :)
    So don’t worry, its just something to laugh at, and no big deal.

Or just for fun, there could be a lesson for Islamabad officials from this: “less praying and more learning” (this is said with tongue in cheek :)

And as you saw in post from “posraldesku” (dont even ASK what does the nickname mean in czech), we have a lot of idiots too, who cant resist to bring their petty hate squabbles even to a forum in a foreign country.

Oh by the way, the news about the blunder made it to the biggest czech online news portal now – so there would be some laugh, some sarcastic comments .. and thats it.

103. Petr says:
    May 19th, 2007 1:16 pm

Hi, I’m Czech too and I really can’t imagine anyone here in Czech Republic who would feel really offended and not just amused (except those few who love to be offended and live only to seek reasons to feel so). As pointed above, pretty much all of us are used to our country being misspelled as “check,” “cheque” or even worse, confused with Chechnya. So, no harm done.

104. Lukas says:
    May 19th, 2007 1:17 pm

Hi from Czech Republic.

This gave me good 1 minute laugh. Thank you for prolonging my life. I wish i can visit your country soon.

105. Petr Dolner says:
    May 19th, 2007 1:55 pm

This mistake is already in our newspapers. But only in internet news because of weekend.

Dont apologize for that mistake because we are used to it. If you look at link below you can see how strangers see our contry. http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Czech_Republic

106. Robert, CZ says:
    May 19th, 2007 4:14 pm

Hi All,

it also gave me a good laugher. Very amused.
    I think pretty much people in our country have a good sence of humour so nobody is offended at all. Nothing to be ashamed of. Mistakes just happens…

We wish you all the best.

107. vojtech says:
    May 19th, 2007 4:39 pm

Yeah. It is really funny. Here, in the Czech Republic it is know that Mr. Topolanek is about at the same intellectual level as George W. Bush except, we have no nuclear weapons and do not want to attack anybody. But be cool, I think he would not mention that :-)

108. vojtech says:
    May 19th, 2007 4:40 pm

Yeah. It is really funny. Here, in the Czech Republic it is known that Mr. Topolanek is about at the same intellectual level as George W. Bush except, we have no nuclear weapons and do not want to attack anybody. But be cool, I think he would not mention that :-)

109. Lech Gondik says:
    May 19th, 2007 5:33 pm

I am from the Czech Republic and I am quite amused. I just wanted to say to all of you who feel somehow embarrased by what happened to take it easy. This is not the first time I have seen our flag distorted or totally wrong (eg. in Italy) and definitely not the last either. It can happen, dont worry.

110. Martin Praum from Czech Republic says:
    May 19th, 2007 6:07 pm

It’s funny! Authorities without knowledge of geografy are everywhere. There were a lot of similar mistakes with our flag all over the world. I don’t know why – our flag is simple, already 80 years in use and everybody can find it in many sources (f.e. http://www.britannica.com/search?query=czech+flag&ct=&searchSubmit=)

I don’t feel this like insultation. I may use the checkered flag during demonstrations against Mr. Topolanek (He is very rude, stupid, antisocial and dangerous – he wants american weapons in our county against 70 % population.)

111. Karel Jantar ,CZ says:
    May 19th, 2007 6:21 pm

Hahaha, nice. :)))

112. Karel Jantar ,CZ says:
    May 19th, 2007 6:29 pm

Watch this www esfahanmetro org – the voice in multimedia intro “.. se zaviraji, přístí stanice… ” – it´s voice record from Prague Metro in Czech “..closing. Next station..” … It´s too very funny :))))

113. imemon says:
    May 19th, 2007 6:30 pm

114. Vaclav says:
    May 19th, 2007 6:44 pm

Yeah, I laughed till I fell from the chair! Mistakes happen every day. You should know that our PM is from moravia. He is not czech at all ;-) Everyone on the world knows it for sure. The czech people do have the lion and the fukaz from moravia have an eagle.

115. Petr - Hradec Kralove, CZ says:
    May 19th, 2007 7:12 pm

[quote comment="46862"]well, i dont know whether to laught at it or feel ashamed about it![/quote]

Hey don’t worry, it’s NO big deal. Since the split of Czechoslovakia, Slovakia is being confused with Slovenia, Czechia with Chechnya all the time nobody pays attention to it anymore [except for the journalists:)].
    It has been reported over here only because it’s Saturday and they gotta put something in the papers and on the web, don’t they?

116. Egi (CZ) says:
    May 19th, 2007 7:24 pm

Great joke :o))

Don’t worry, nobody is perfect :o))

117. Javed Iqbal says:
    May 19th, 2007 7:46 pm

What do you expect from the checkered govt of a country that has checkered history of being ruled military dictators????????

Pakstani FM is directly responsible for this act and must seek public pardon from Czech people and govt. The FO of this checkered Pakistani Govt was definitely sleeping as usually.

118. Javed Iqbal says:
    May 19th, 2007 7:56 pm

Well the worst was sitting Pakistani Prime Minsiter waving a Pakistani Flag in a Public rally on March 23rd at Minar-e-Pakistan.

119. sysel, CZ says:
    May 19th, 2007 8:41 pm

No, Czechs build only VW for Germans nowadays.

120. ursani says:
    May 19th, 2007 10:44 pm

121. Masin says:
    May 20th, 2007 2:15 am

This story is pretty funny, but no reason to worry. Our prime minister is such an a-hole that he probably doesn’t even be deserve to represent a country that has given some wonderful things to the world. I would be even surprised if he noticed that the flag was not ours..;-)

122. The Dino says:
    May 20th, 2007 3:36 am

[quote comment="46860"]It is indeed funny but one might want to think seriously for 1 sec and one can come up with many theories. Are Pakistanies cognatively impaired as a nation? Does anyone do any kind of research when a Head of the State of a country visits Pakistan? Are Pakistanies under so much of economic and political stress that they do such mistakes? Is the government machinary which is supposed to take care of protocols when a foreign deligation visits consist of ‘safarchee’ and matric fail people? Are Pakistanies living on Mars that they can’t even google the flag of a country before making a big display? Is the Government is sooo incompetent in Pakistan? I can go on and on…..[/quote]

I am Czech and never thought about this could happend. But I am not surprised because we at work deal with Pakistan companies and it is kind of the same problems.
    It is realy like they live just their own lives and do not care about the world.

123. Ondra says:
    May 20th, 2007 3:38 am

Greetings,

Just for a case anyone from Czech would post comments in a style you might not be used to, I just want to note that in Czech Republic, many young people know english, many know to use the internet, but also many lack decency and then relieve their adolescent aggresivity on internet… Just for the case ;-)

And second note – this is quite popular site all over the world, how is that? So many Pakistan people live around the world? See

124. The Dino says:
    May 20th, 2007 3:38 am

No, Czechs build only VW for Germans nowadays.[/quote]

125. The Dino says:
    May 20th, 2007 3:41 am

[quote comment="47901"][quote comment="47814"][quote comment="47802"]Do Czechs still build Skodas. We used to have those in Pakistan in late 60s. I see a lot of jokes on web about these cars.[/quote]

No, Czechs build only VW for Germans nowadays.[/quote]

What the hell… Sure Czechs build Skodas. It is one of the most sold cars in middle Europe and was car of the year in GB few times also in other countries.[/quote]

By the way here is the link to Skoda pages… http://www.skoda-auto.com/

126. imemon says:
    May 20th, 2007 5:26 am

At least some Skodas would be decent. 50 years after gaining independance, what Pakistan could come up with is Alif & Bay (http://www.pakwheels.com/forumreply_az_TopicID!7581~ForumID!1~pw.html).

Just wanted to share some funny jokes about Skoda cars found on net with Pakistani friends. The Czech brethren must be already sick and tired of these. I believe in different countries same jokes would be used for different models (like Yugos, Ladas, Moskovitchs, etc).

———————————————–
    I was stopped for speeding in a Skoda,
    but I was let off due to the Copper(police officer) laughing too much.

Why do skodas have a rear wash wipe ?
    ……..To remove the flies that crash into them.

There is a big competition at my local pub the first prize is a scoda,
    ……..the second prize is two skodas !

Why does a Skoda have a double rear window heater ?
    To keep everyones hands warm when they are pushing it !

How do you double the value of a Skoda ?
    Fill the tank !

What do you call a skoda driver who say’s he has a speeding ticket ????
    A Dreamer.

Ive just bought the new 16 valve Skoda
    …….4 in the engine, 12 in the radio!

Whats the difference between a Skoda and a sheep?
    It’s less embarassing being caught getting out the back of a sheep.

Whats the difference between a Skoda and a tampon?
    The Tampon comes with its own tow rope!

What do you call a skoda in the winter?
    A freezer.

What do you call a Skoda at the the top of a hill ?
    A miracle.

What happens if you apply rust remover to a Skoda ?
    It dissappears!

How do you overtake a Skoda ?
    Run !

127. imemon says:
    May 20th, 2007 5:32 am

[quote comment="47882"]immad and javed nice to have u here, H-26 rocks,for other participants both of these guys are my buddy’s from our Telecom college.Immad i dont remember but the old car u used to drive in our uni days was a scoda or was it a nissan[/quote]

Great to hear from you. It was an 85 Nissan Sunny. Thinking about replacing it with Alif, first Pakistani car (www.tmcpk.com). Imad..

128. iwan says:
    May 20th, 2007 6:33 am

hey guys, that was really funny. me and my friend, we laughed a lot. i’m a czech citizen and i was pretty surprised by the warm welcome you were giving to our PM, but i was still confused why there were a racing (or better check flag) on the banner. so i read the whole article :D it sounds like a pretty good joke to me. keep it up :D

129. boaka.cz says:
    May 20th, 2007 6:51 am

Of course, and in even large numbers by now … I hope you were satisfied with the quality of them in 60′s :)

visit http://www.skoda-auto.com/global
    I think that by now is new skoda auto factory going to be opened in china for asia market, so you can have one easily soon :)

btw for flag mistake… dont worry about, it can happen anywhere :)

130. Tomas, CZ says:
    May 20th, 2007 8:20 am

Hi, yet another greeting form the Czech Republic. I found the story really funny, just one observation: reading the comments made me realize that people from Pakistan actully have a great sense of humor.

131. younas says:
    May 20th, 2007 9:13 am

my optician
    Dr. Hasan Manto
    famous Eye Specialist of Pakistan did his PhD from prague check(sorrry czech,my spelling going tipsy hha ha)
    Mr Abdullah Malik wrote a Famous travelogue in URDU (Prague say chand khatoot) letters from Prague in 1970s, Zulfikar ali bhutto our assasinated prime minister was quite keen on importing technology & skodas from communist czeckosavakia(an other spelling error( ha ha)

132. ÄŒech says:
    May 20th, 2007 9:25 am

Ste matláci

133. ÄŒech says:
    May 20th, 2007 9:27 am

Czech Republic is BEST!!

134. Ondrej says:
    May 20th, 2007 10:13 am

A friend told me to “czech” this out :) No big deal though, “czech” these out http://halbot.haluze.sk/?id=3110

135. Rabika Gul says:
    May 20th, 2007 11:32 am

the optimistic take: atleast they know how to pronounce it right!

136. Rabika Gul says:
    May 20th, 2007 11:34 am

in that respect we are a notch higher.

137. Lukas says:
    May 20th, 2007 2:05 pm

Tak tohle se vam povedlo:) To mate proto, ze neumite chlastat.

138. Tuccy says:
    May 20th, 2007 4:29 pm

Just to let you all know I find this rather funny :) Serves us well for having such a confusing country’s name :) Atleast we’re not Chechnya this time as we were in guide to EXPO in Germany ;)

139. Tuccy says:
    May 20th, 2007 4:42 pm

Oh and I also guess the H.E. must have boosted our PM’s ego skyhigh… If someone explained to him what does it mean ;)

140. May 20th, 2007 10:37 pm

Tenhle omyl s vlajkami me fakt rozesmal :-)

141. mardah says:
    May 21st, 2007 4:02 am

a notch higher from knowing nothing at all, eh? that calls for a party :)

what does your name mean, rabika?

142. Czekino says:
    May 21st, 2007 4:24 am

CZEKS RULLEZ!!!!

143. Vratislav says:
    May 21st, 2007 4:42 am

It seems that a ‘revenge from Checks’ is coming; A link to this article was published on our ‘the most reliable’ news website (don’t try to translate back the article’s content), so this discussion may be spammed by stupid and offending comments of ill-mannered people. Please, don’t care about is – this is just the style ‘we’ are discussing at the web :( .

Btw., I have Å koda 100 (year of production 1973), and I am very satisfied with this oldtimer ;-) . Recent Å kodas are made under guidance of German Volkswagen concern, so they are 75% VW, but still kepping some Czech face.
    I may also add that in coincidence, ‘Å koda’ as word has in Czech meanings ‘pitty’, ‘loss’ and also ‘damage’ :)

144. Akazimi says:
    May 21st, 2007 4:43 am

Dear Pakistanians, our prime minister Mirek Topolanek is very stupid too, as fast as your worker on forein ministry. Our prime minister Mirek Topolanek in our parliament turn up midle finger on deputats. Our prime minister is not good human. Do not be sad, please.

145. pes says:
    May 21st, 2007 6:48 am

Vy volove pakistansky z lesa, tak to je fak mazec :)))) Ja Vam reknu jenom jedno, kdybych tam videl tu “check-vlajku” vedle ty vasi, tak by mi to fak asi nedoslo, ze by nekdo moh bejt tak blbej a tohle by se mohlo stat.. ;)) to je fak husty :)
    Este ze neumite checksky … ;)) ..

146. jetpac says:
    May 21st, 2007 8:17 am

Living in the Czech Republic – but this is kinda funny! Thanks for a nice article :-)

147. drcavalera says:
    May 21st, 2007 9:11 am

No, Czechs build only VW for Germans nowadays.[/quote]

Thats not truth, Skoda is owned by VW, but its still Skoda.

148. Tuccy says:
    May 21st, 2007 10:22 am

Correct, Skoda still builds Skoda… Two weeks ago I was able to visit their main factory and it’s very impressive indeed…

149. Tom says:
    May 21st, 2007 10:35 am

Hi,I am from the czech republic as well and I found this accident quite funny. If any national pride was harmed by this, then it was pakistani much more than czech, I think. (and acctually there was no czech flag violated because there was anything like any national flag except the pakistani one,the bottom-up flag would touch my feelings more).
    As I said, I found it silly but funny – before I read the stupid generalizating comments of michael and gabi. I would like to apologize for this much worse kind of ignorance accusing absurdly all the people from a nation or community as one person. As everywhere, also in czech republic there are both tolerant and intolerant people.

150. Martii says:
    May 21st, 2007 11:23 am

NaÅ¡e zemÄ› musela ujít dlouhou cestu… jsem rád, že už jsme v cíli !!

151. e1 says:
    May 21st, 2007 6:28 pm

Tak toto je sila. :D:D:D

152. charliesoukup says:
    May 21st, 2007 7:32 pm

this is link to czech news , i like Pakistan and Pakistani people

153. Martin G. says:
    May 21st, 2007 8:12 pm

I am Czech, but I think about Mr. Topolanek, he dont understand, what the checkered flag is meaning there!!!! :-)))))) He is enough stupid man and maybe … maybe he thought of this like of his race and victory :-)))))
    But it is great that our contacts – between our countries will grow up!
    I am from Prague and i know a few likable, clever and mainly hardworking men (my friend Usman f.e.) from shops with goods from Pakistan and India.

154. andy says:
    May 22nd, 2007 2:18 am

he he he he hello.. actually, i am from Czech rep. and this made me laugh.. if only our flag was the SKA flag :D but i still some kind of cant believe it..there is written CZECH pm so they had to know the spelling of the word so why they found chenck flag and not czech flag ?

155. Pepíno says:
    May 22nd, 2007 3:34 am

As you noticed, some czech people are trying make our PM Topolanek idiot…..pls dont take them serious :o) These guys are communists who are now crying, that they have to work, that they have to pay money for education and that they have to pay for more things, which communistic CSSD ( party )often had been giving for free them to gain their votes.

People often dont listen to spoken words, but they listen to clinking of money rather and if they hear, that something is for free, they sign everything !

156. Kate says:
    May 22nd, 2007 6:32 am

Hey, I am from Czech as well.

THANK YOU GUYS, you made me laugh so hard, it just made my day! :D

And don’t worry, much worst things happen every day. At least this one IS FUNNY :D

Kate

157. May 22nd, 2007 8:00 am

funny :)

158. cayo says:
    May 22nd, 2007 10:23 am

But u bet it is funnyyyyyyyyyyyyy[/quote]

Well, Russians did similar thing during Ice Hockey championship in Moscow – they played Estonian anthem to Finnish team :)
    But that at least sounds similar ;)

159. Jana says:
    May 22nd, 2007 12:08 pm

Well, this is beautifull. I live in Czech republic and I am happy that not only my country makes a fool of itself :-)
    There is no need to feel ashamed. Shit happens.

160. Alex says:
    May 22nd, 2007 5:54 pm

Hi, (yet another guy from the Czech Rep.)

as long as the very first idea was friendliness and good will, it’s rather funny and nice. :)

Hav’ a good day.
    Alex

161. May 23rd, 2007 3:19 am

no, koneÄ

162. Babs says:
    May 23rd, 2007 9:03 am

look the flag must have not been entered correctly or the picture that was supposed to be there wasnt loaded into whatever software they used to design the slogan. This happens, and it is a mistake. and yeah shit happens…

163. ozzy says:
    May 23rd, 2007 9:11 am

i have noticed a couple of rude posts in the czech language. you pakistani people probably don’t understand (for your own good) what they mean but stay assured that idiocy runs through the nations.

164. Peter says:
    May 23rd, 2007 11:12 am

This is just perfect! THE perfect designer story.

165. Rudolf II. says:
    May 23rd, 2007 7:36 pm

Well, another view from Czechia: I could observe politness of internet users in Pakistan and their effort to apologize themselves for mistake of their office holder. Thanks to this flag “accident” I know more about Pakistan than before: before I just thought that maybe there are decent and likeable people – and awkward bureaucrats as well :-) as all over the world including Czechia. Now I see that it really IS like this, but the sense of decent and likeable is much more present now for me. (Also I am glad to see that great majority of Czech responses accept the “Check Affair” with typical Czech attitude: every bad thing could be also good for something else. At least now we mutually know how our flags look. And – to be honest – really it’s funny to imagine a check flag waving above the Prague castle :-)

166. haider says:
    May 23rd, 2007 9:03 pm

hi dear pakistanies i m from pakistan aswell my wife is from czech republic i told her and she like it she didnt mind about that but she is more happy that we gona make some intenational relations ……………… it is start no worry mistakes happen but learn more about each other and make more strong relationship show that we r gooood and and donnt feel bad if some one ask u Paki i feel PROUD TO BE PAKI and i m paki

167. haider says:
    May 23rd, 2007 9:26 pm

i think it is the flag of Success

168. Don says:
    May 24th, 2007 3:36 am

Skodas are awesome cars! Frikkin rugged like hell and doing awesomely well in India (btw they are made here too!)

169. lubos says:
    May 24th, 2007 5:20 am

Nechcete mě to někdo přeložit?

170. Radka says:
    May 24th, 2007 10:48 am

Hi everybody!
    Are there any other eye-witnesses except the writer of the article? I tried to google it (this flag accident) and found no other testimony but this. No mention in a czech press. I´m still not convinced it´s true. We are a nation that loves jokes so it´s really unbelievable that almost nobody here knows about it. But if it is a true, don´t worry, we are not such patriots as e.g. Americans. We love fun much more than our flag.
    PS: Hope this doesn´t offend anybody from Czech republic

171. Vivek says:
    May 25th, 2007 10:47 am

Hi,
    I’m from India. Found this really funny. Not being judgemental here … you know that this happens in my country too. However I share with my Pakistani friends the concern over what would have happened if the the Pakistani (or for that matter the Indian) flag had been misrepresented by others. Possibly protests would have been held and effigies burnt. The recent Gere-Shilpa episode has made a joke of my country as well. I hope we learn from our czech friends how to have a sense of perspective about what’s important and what’s not.
    Regards.

172. Abrar says:
    May 25th, 2007 12:06 pm

I agree we Pakistanis should learn from teh Czech reaction. Maybe we should also chill down rather than getting angry at everything.

Thank you all Czech commenters, I have been very impressed by your comments and your willingness to focus on the funny side of things instead of getting agitated and angry.

173. Gougy says:
    May 25th, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi to all in Pakistan. For sure you already know by now that we really do not feel ofended in any way and that we know that mistakes happen and that it is beautiful to learn more and not to make them again – this mistake really turned out to be good at the end, many people from Czech republic are interested in Pakistan and also people in Pakistan may have looked for someone with sence of humor in Europe:) But i have a question: is there any other evidence of this – there has to be more camera shots from this or it is not true. Yes, it made to the News out here but I have not seen any other pictures but the same like here…

Wish all the Best to everybody

174. Haqdad Khan says:
    May 27th, 2007 4:35 am

This is height of incompetence. Concerned officials should be removed immediately and proceeded against.

175. the dude says:
    May 27th, 2007 5:10 pm

far out…….

176. Czech :) says:
    May 28th, 2007 4:12 pm
  177. Desi says:
    May 29th, 2007 7:59 am

I just got this email since we are discussing spelling, govt, and “check” …enjoy!

Corporate Lesson

Once Nawaz Sharif, Benazir and Shujaat Hussain were traveling in an auto rickshaw. They met with an accident and all three of them died. Gabriel was waiting for this moment at the doorstep of death. He asks Sharif and Benazir to go to HEAVEN. But for Shujaat Hussain, he had already decided that he should be sent to HELL. Shujaat Hussain is not at all happy with this decision. He asks Gabriel as to why this discrimination is being made. All the three of them had served the public. Similarly, all took bribes, all misused public positions, etc. Then why the differential treatment?

He felt that there should be a formal test or an objective evaluation before a decision is made; and should not be just asked on opinion or pre conceived notions. Gabriel agrees to this and asks all the three of them to appear for an English test.

Sharif is asked to spell ” PAKISTAN ” and he does it correctly.

Benazir is asked to spell ” ENGLAND ” and SHE too passes.

It is Shujaat Hussain turn and he is asked to spell ” CZECHOSLOVAKIA “. Shujaat Hussain protests that he doesn’t know English. He says this is not fair and that he was given a tough question and thus forced Test and fail with false intent.

Having been a student of history (which the other two weren’t), he now requested for all the 3 to be subjected to a test in history Gabriel says OK but this would be the last chance and that he would not take any more tests.

Sharif is asked: “When did Pakistan get Independence ?”. He replied “1947″ and passed.

Benazir is asked “How many people died during the independence struggle?”. She gets nervous. Gabriel asked him to choose from 3 options: 100,000 or 200,000 or 300,000. Benazir catches it and says 200,000 and passes.

It’s Shujaat Hussain turn now. Gabriel asks him to give the Name and Address of each of the 200,000 who died in the struggle. Shujaat Hussain, accepts defeat and agrees to go to HELL.

Moral of the story:

IF YOUR MANAGEMENT HAS DECIDED TO SCREW YOU, THERE IS NO ESCAPE.

178. May 29th, 2007 9:20 am

Hi to everybody in Pakistan!
    The “flag problem” is discussed on Czech internet today and we are laughing very much. Radka is right, we love fun much more than our national symbols. And from another poitn of view we are happy that not only our bureaucrats are so stupid.
    But don’t worry, this flag mistake it is not so bad, there are much more stupid bureaucrats (and also journalists) all around the world. For example I have seen Latvian or Belarussian flags with subtitles “Czech Republic” and the picture of our former prime minister with the subtitle “Prime minister of Poland” in American newspapers or a maps of Europe where there was the word “Iraq” instead of the right “Germany”, “Slovakia” instead of “Slovenia” and “Switzerland” instead of “Czech Republic” on CNN. Such pictures of maps and newspaper articles are very popular in my country and friends often send them one to another by e-mail as perfect jokes. I think it will be the same with this error. But it is very nice to read Pakistan people thinking about apology to our people. Thank you for your kindness!
    Our flag is quite nice but this “check flag” is not bad too. At least someone from our country could see it if we have nobody in F1 GP (only Jakub Smrž is very good in Moto GP and Tomáš Enge was – before a serious accident – quite good in A1 GP).
    And as concern Skoda – the factory named Skoda is owned mainly by German company VW but the car produced are still named “Skoda” – it is the official trade mark and for last 5 or more years Skoda is the greatest general partner of Ice-hockey World Championship.
    P.S.: Pray for our progess and prosperity, we need it. Our economic situation is not so terribly bad (maybe better than yours) but comparing it with countries like Switzerland, France, Germany, Sweden of Belgium it is nothing nice. At any case it would be better…

179. assamtea says:
    May 29th, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi to all,

I can assure everybody in Pakistan that nobody in Czech republic feel touched by this error. Maybe Czech companies will be like racing cars in your country:)))

Best wishes to all people in Pakistan!

May 29th, 2007 7:40 pm

A lesson that we Pakistanis can learn from our well-mannered and light hearted Czech friends is to take life easy. Not everything is a matter of strife and shouting but there are lighter sides to mistakes too, if one is willing to look for. Thanks Czech friends, we certainly can learn how to smile more as a national habit.

181. May 30th, 2007 3:31 am

Once again, we’ve made history. Folks… this ain’t funny neither a wonder… its just another day when “Pakistan’s Grievance Book’ had another point added to it…

/me sings to da guests PM.

‘Thissssssss issssssss howwwwww weeeeeeeeeeeee dooooooooooo itttttttttttt… Thissssssss issssssss howwwwww weeeeeeeeeeeee dooooooooooo itttttttttttt… :P

182. Ismail Hussein says:
    May 30th, 2007 9:26 am

I am also impressed by the humor and coolness of our Czech freinds. I look at our own discussions here and wish that we could also develop thsi ability to stay cool!

183. tomas says:
    May 30th, 2007 10:46 am

Reards from Prague (“The Check capital :)” ). Nice and lovely story. We will see, what kind of reaction will be on local newspaper :). Peace to all :) Tomas

184. Farhan says:
    May 30th, 2007 11:06 am

ya sure its funny and embarrassing as well. But what I noticed was that both the flags are not of same shape.

I mean there is a strong possiblity of the image being created using softwares like corel draw or adobe photoshop.

Just notice that the pakistani flag has a wave shape while the other flag is straight which is unusal. So if you ask me personaly I wont belive it till some eye witnesses post their comment.

185. Honza says:
    May 31st, 2007 7:30 am

[quote comment="46854"]This is NOT a small thing. Flags are very important to countries. Insulting a flag is insulting a country[/quote]

Greetings from Check Republic… No take it easy, we are not that proud nation. Humor is probably higher value for majority of our people and this is REALLY funny.

186. faaiza says:
    June 1st, 2007 7:51 pm

I really enjoyed reading most of the comments about the czech /check flag .If it really happened we could use it as an episode in Pkistani version of Yes ,Prime Minister.

187. Franta says:
    June 8th, 2007 3:03 am

Hi everybody,

I love the story and also the cool and light reactions. Now the true recent story coming from CNN: three days ago, the American president was welcomed in Prague by the Czech Presidend “Vaclav Klaus” and PM “Mirek Topolanek” (you now him already..) CNN reported that “Klaus Topolanek” met Bush… There was also much laugh in the Czech Republic about the professionality of reputable journalists… Peace for you from Prague, Franta

188. Pavel says:
    June 8th, 2007 4:32 am

Hallo everybody and greetings from Brussels.
    I am Czech and I work for the EU here – a friend has just sent me a link to this article and I looked at it with amused interest.
    My first reaction was: “Wow, they spelled his name right!” – this does not necessarily happed everywhere. And my second thought was: “Wow, they PRAY for Czech prosperity … at least someone does …” (We are the most atheist country in the world – over two thirds of the people do NOT believe in God). Neither does our PM Topolánek, by the way.
    My guess is, that he liked to see his name up and he might have thought that you guys like car racing or something …
    Cheers
    Pavel

189. marya says:
    June 12th, 2007 1:21 am

This sounded hilarious but then, the very next moment i felt so embarassed at the ignorance of our rulers, it not the first time they have made a mistake, this one is a very small mistake but the way they are used to making mistakes so very often is morelike playing with the repute and future of our country.
    I am really amazed and happy at the reaction of our czech friends for being so open hearted to have taken this as a Good Joke and not making a fuss out of it. your attitude is really examplary :)

190. Sulaiman Faisal says:
    June 13th, 2007 9:05 am

Well as a matter of fact, I don’t know what is the literacy rate according to our Govt ( which U can say the QUANTITY of educated people in Pakistan). But this sure is the proof of QUALITY of Education of Pakistan:-) I must admit that I tried to laugh at it, But sombody deep inside my heart started weeping and mourning. May ALlah Bless Pakistan and its inhabitant.

191. Sana Khan says:
    June 13th, 2007 3:56 pm

hello every one ,

well i m still laughing!!

192. June 14th, 2007 8:24 am

Pakistani leaders cant lead. They can beg before america or china or the in front of the Ummah.
    If pakistani leaders had made education compulsory we would not have lost face before our guests.

What a shameful act when a foreign guests sees that pakistan does even know the guest country’s flag.

Speaks volumes of our education and world knowledge.

193. shenzi says:
    June 14th, 2007 8:38 am

巴基斯å

194. oldsoft says:
    June 15th, 2007 7:01 am

LOL:-)
    Greetings from Prague:-)

195. Pry says:
    July 3rd, 2007 1:09 pm

I am from Czech republic. I think, that this is EXACTLY czech kind of humor. :-)

196. Pry says:
    July 3rd, 2007 1:14 pm

The second problem with Czechs is, that we are the most atheistic country. So sentence “We pry for …” has in Czech meaning “We hope for …, [but we know that you have no chance to win]“. But we love (even black) humor and culture distance is SO big. Prepare for some scandal after Pakistan prime minister visit Czech republic.

197. July 10th, 2007 11:32 am

[...] is much higher with a camera phone than with a camera. Here I am going to tell a story about a Pakistaniat blog post which would fit a scenario where mobile phone would make it easy to capture something which could [...]

198. ShahidS says:
    July 15th, 2007 11:36 am

Self analysing laugh is a good laugh.
    Learn from your mistakes and move on.

Thank you and drive through.;-)

199. ex FO SO says:
    July 15th, 2007 3:29 pm

I really wish I could reveal my identity and share a ‘behind-the-scenes’ experience with you guys – particularly of the Queen’s visit to Pakistan. But that was almost a decade ago.
    I guess the idea behind “Idiocracy” is proven correct here, even though a little fast tracked.

200. Imtiaz says:
    July 21st, 2007 10:50 am

When totally dull and ignorant people get higher positions in a nation like Pakistanis, what other can we expect from them.Musharraf is the head of these highly educated people.

201. Badrul Amir jilani says:
    July 27th, 2007 7:08 am

If U love pakistan then give some thing to pakistan,uptill now Pakistan had given us all to be proud of ,as i am proud to be a pakistani, now it is our turn to give contribute to Pakistan in any form.

202. faisal Salim says:
    July 27th, 2007 12:01 pm

Salaam! though shameful but still its not reflective of pakistani society’s mindset and competency as described by some of the commets above. to err is human and those responsible ought to be thrashed, but please own your country with its pluses and minuses, and correct in any manner, you can, the evil and incompetency. thanks

203. Asim Noman says:
    August 2nd, 2007 8:02 pm

I’m sure the person who did that must b ex army officer….lolzz…

204. Dewana Aik says:
    August 8th, 2007 9:34 am

Another flag cock up is the Turkish flag on our Rs 1000 note….presumably state bank is sure ours is one of those flags with a

205. pakistani says:
    August 11th, 2007 4:28 am

Only in pakistan hey!! :) You gotta laugh though (and despair in silence). It reminds me of the fake Versace designer Tshirts I saw in one of teh bazzars, spelt as “Versachi”. A massive breakdown in research I would say!

206. kubi says:
    August 26th, 2007 4:25 pm

Oh, he didn’t probably realise that (I wouldn’t and I am Czech) – good joke though :).
    By the way, we’re well used to this, when there was world fair EXPO in Hannover (Germany – right at our border), the English version of the official map marked our exposition as Chechnya :)).

207. September 2nd, 2007 2:50 am

[...] just saw this post Welcoming the Czech Prime Minister and I could not stop laughing at the negligence  and incompetency of our government [...]

208. September 6th, 2007 7:25 am

haha this is hilarious! what an image we put up in front of our guests! made a real fool out of our selves!

209. hira khan says:
    September 7th, 2007 11:12 am

i didnt even know that..so what can be expected from the people working for the government….and i think it would be good if our pm goes through all this…might…might…i m not saying he would but might get the message…

210. Sidarh- Jane says:
    September 12th, 2007 7:53 am

Well thats not nice I am from Czech republic and I love Pakistan despite everything but this i didnt expect huh!! Inshallah next time it wont happen

Khuda hafiz
    Jane

211. MUDr. Abdolreza Majidi says:
    September 18th, 2007 4:49 am

Actually I found it really cool and funny. It could be as a response to those europeans mainly eastern ones who do not differ between Pakistanis and Arabs, between Iranians and Arabs etc. So, Mr. Topolanek with his mistress can be hapy and thankfull that the nice and kind people of Pakistan accept him as a guest!

212. ayesha sajid says:
    September 18th, 2007 4:53 am

this was the first post … sent to me by a friend that introduced me to ATP.
    I cant believe its still viewed and commented upon !!
    ps; this was classic btw.

213. Mansoor Alam says:
    September 18th, 2007 8:29 am

This is another example of the fact that the big political feudal lords in Pakistan only know how to manipulate the poor.You can not expect sanity from them.But does it mean that they don’t know anything?NO! THEY KNOW HOW TO MAKE MONEY!

214. Kaleem says:
    October 3rd, 2007 9:17 pm

I am impressed by the Czeh sense of humor and how well they have taken this blunder from us. We, I think, would have turned it into a ghairat ka masla and would be burning flags on the streets… check flags!

Or, as you see on other posts, we would be quote hadees and quran out of context to see what the answer was.

215. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    October 6th, 2007 10:04 am

Kaleem Sahib

lets not exaggerate, It happens every where, pendoos are in every administration, look at Bush’s admin, He himself a qualified one. For this you don’t have to necessarily consult Quran, you can identify them nearby you, but its not the end
    of the world. Btw, indeed Quran instructs everyone to get education and research as jehalat is a sin, “Agahi” (awareness) is a blessing, you see !!!!?

What worried me is the banner ” we pray for the Czech Prime
    Minister………” as if he was suffering from heart attack and
    can we pray for a communist (or ex) ???

I do believe that every admin must examine their officials if they really have brains inside their skulls.

216. Naseer says:
    October 17th, 2007 5:55 am

What Adil Najam says in his remarks ”Nice story for a chuckle? But how would you feel if the Pakistan Prime Minister goes to another country and they mess up the flags this way?”
    Maybe PM should invest urgent funds for some ” parrha likha”matter, after all he is responsible to his counterpart for the remaining number of his days. One thing is certain the banner maker got his ‘cheque’.
    Naseer

217. Arsalan says:
    October 20th, 2007 7:44 am

YAar yeh atp kia hai

218. Pavel B. says:
    October 21st, 2007 6:12 am

To Posraldesku: Not everybody thinks this way. Please, dont write your own opinions as general things if we are talking to foreigners, they can think that it is really true. We can discuse about it in Czech Republic but dont confuse foreigners, they can not discover what is true and what is not.

219. slovak says:
    October 21st, 2007 1:52 pm

ach jaj ale im ty pakistanci dali

220. October 31st, 2007 5:59 am

The find out, why they place Check flag instead of Czech. They Google the Check flag and thats it. The common sense ruined.

Yeh sab kuch Google ki waja say hoa hai.

221. Human says:
    October 31st, 2007 9:35 am

that tells u a thing or two about our “well-educated” leaders… they almost did it like they don’t even give a damn… it is as careless as it is reckless; a result of their sheer incompetence; i hope they didn’t the Czech prime minister a ceramic formula-1 model as souvenir….

222. Mirek says:
    November 1st, 2007 10:48 am

I am Check, or rather Czech, though I live in Canada, but my parents immigrated here in 1979. Anyway, it is very funny!! Sometimes I feel like en inefficient Czech or cheque. If I get very hyper, people say I am a bouncing Czech or cheque or check. :) Anyways, with all the variety of languages around the world, it can happen easily…hahahaha

223. H$ says:
    December 10th, 2007 8:55 am

How stupid!!!!

224. SimplifiNATION says:
    December 10th, 2007 12:38 pm

Just imagin. From paper to the hoarding…no one noticed!
    The thinkers behind this country!…..
    Pendu ko BMW mai bittha do…us ne pendu hi rehna hai!

This spawns another thaught…what if we are underestimating the ad-makers…maybe it was intentional…it has to be….This cannot pass through so many people [Mind you ppl who have passed their CSS exams] unnoticed.

There has to a diplomatic referance to this act. I am sure!

225. Salman Malik says:
    December 10th, 2007 4:24 pm

No surpise at all when you have fools sitting in the top positions, only looking for dishonest people to protect their personal interests.

226. Irritated Pakistani says:
    December 26th, 2007 7:06 am

The guy (0r girl) inchrage of this must be safarshi.
    [I was in gujrat last month. They were conducting interviews for local union council secretaries - 2000 people for around 60 jobs - around 10 days to interview these people. The final list came from "Kothi" - That is Zahooe Elahi Palace for the non Gujratis --- Pakistan Zinda bad]

227. VubecNikdo says:
    January 8th, 2008 7:12 am

To Rafay Kashmiri: Hi, just a notice — our PM is neither communist nor ex-one; thanks to God not everyone in my country is defiled by communist ideology. So you can pray for him as I pray for you and your country.

228. January 18th, 2008 6:36 am

Very funny….

229. ME says:
    January 23rd, 2008 6:14 pm

That is the result of a Madrassas educated country. Sad.

230. February 6th, 2008 1:04 am

What a fun?
    and greater fun is the ignorance of the responsibles.
    Acutally there are many problems and one of them is the lack of knowledge in the field of printing industry. The composers/designers didn’t know the correct spelling of english and even urdu ‘hijay’.
    And I think this will not be done with Pakistani Flag bcoz they are educated and responsible peoples. In the matter of chick flag, Sorry! Czech flag, assistance can be taken form their embassy or some relative source, but who hod to do this Herculian task?

231. February 18th, 2008 10:14 am

makes me laugh, and sad at the same time !

232. Diablo Khan says:
    March 31st, 2008 6:58 am

Ufff hud ho gaee hai jahalat ki. I am extreamly pissed at this blunder. Agay hi pakistaniyon ki bahoot izzet hai upper say yeh blundar pay blundar! Arrgghhhh…

233. April 8th, 2008 2:35 pm

its really very nice and interesting website and giving current affairs about all the topics,
    dear i wana to send an email to Mr. Syed Yousuf Raza Gillani plz send his email address i hope you will send me soon …
    i shall remain very thankful to you sir…

takecarz

Inayatullah

234. Fareed says:
    April 16th, 2008 6:09 am

from: paracha_fareed@hotmail.com
    To: fminister@mowp.gov.pk
    CC: secretary@mowp.gov.pk
    Subject: FW: Power Crises
    Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:04:51 +0000
    For the Kind Attension of Prime Minister of Pakistan Syed Yousaf Raza Gilani Sahab.
    Asslam-o-Aliakum.
    First of All congratulation on success in Election and forming new Democratic Goverment. I wish and pray for your success. I am sending this suggestion which I searched on internet, only to over come this power crisis and these are short term cheap and easy planing I can also send more if required and this is being done in USA,Europe and India.I have tried to send these for Power generation many times at Minitry emails which are not going,thats why I am sending.

rom: paracha_fareed@hotmail.com
    To: fminister@mowp.gov.pk
    CC: secretary@mowp.gov.pk
    Subject: FW: Power Crises
    Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:54:00 +0000

Dear Mr. Raja Pervaiz Ashraf
    Further to my last email more interesting thing is that technology is being used in USA and India and wastage after generation of power become useful as Urea in agriculture field.
    Kind regards.

Subject: FW: Power Crises
    Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:19:55 +0000

For the
    kind
    Attentionof Mr. Raja Pervaiz
    Ashraf
    First of all congratulation on forming of Democratic Goverment.I have already sent many suggestions regarding power generation on short term and long term basis to PPIB.I hope that will be considered.I have also sent one suggestion of Bio-Power generation with Cow dung . We are agricultural based country we are agricultural based country by Grace of Allah. It is very cheap and easy to impl

235. Yasir Aziz says:
    April 18th, 2008 5:29 am

Oh my goodness. Did it really happen and was done by Pakistan Govt?????

Veeeeeerrrrrrryrrrrrrrr Pathetic.

236. Khalil Ahmed Pitafi says:
    April 30th, 2008 12:21 am

it very nice, we can read any news paper easly from here

237. Fareed Paracha says:
    May 10th, 2008 4:06 pm

For the Kind Attention of Prime Minister Of Pakistan
    Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani
    My previous email address is hacked by someone so please ignore all emails from paracha_fareed@hotmail.com.I have been sending information and trying to contact the concern Departments like PPIB,PEPCO,WAPDA regarding Generation of Electricity sine one and half month. I dont know wether they are receiving it or not or have any interest or not,only Mr.N.A.Zuberi of PPIB replied me and I have talked with him in this regards. I am also working for project through one of my friend who is dealing in projects like this can arrange which is available from China/other countries,I had and have no interest, but only for betterment of Pakistan and people of Pakistan.I only want someone to be in contact with me.
    Kind Regards
    Fareed Paracha

238. Zinda Dil says:
    June 13th, 2008 1:31 pm

What a PR disaster or

we are saying:

Your Excellency Prime Minieter Topolanik,

” YOU ARE A WINNER SIR!!!”

239. Zinda Dil says:
    June 13th, 2008 1:32 pm

What a PR disaster or

we are saying:

Your Excellency Prime Minister Topolanek,

” YOU ARE A WINNER SIR!!!”

240. ahsan says:
    June 20th, 2008 3:44 am

The Czech people have a big heart with a great sense of humor. Telling signs of a people who are comfortable and confident about their identity. An exact opposite of us Pakistani who are confused, timid, frustated and suffering from a chronic and perpetual inferiority complex about their identities; always read to burn and destroy whenever we are successfully able to hunt and dig for material which is “offensive” to our proud nation, leaders and bigoted believes.
    Long Live Czech Republic

241. cobaya38 says:
    October 19th, 2008 4:00 pm

What about if it were vice versa: the P

242. czech observer says:
    October 27th, 2008 10:41 am

You guys can’t be serious! Im sure this is some kind of (good) joke!

243. Babar says:
    December 15th, 2008 6:56 pm

This is the most funny thing I have ever read on internet.

244. John S says:
    January 14th, 2009 4:49 pm

Well, Always I see this check flag, I have to laugh… :) I bet that somebody from Pakistan PR asked some Czech how our flag looks like and he(she) show him this “check” one… :-D Well what is the life without fun… :-) And we are nation that is making fun from everything you can imagine… :) Your (still smiling) Jan from Czech Rep.

245. Qausain says:
    March 21st, 2009 2:48 pm

Creativity :-p

246. Ishaq says:
    July 15th, 2009 6:01 am

Our PM is from PaRha Likha Punjab, yet……

247. an embarrassed Pakistani says:
    August 7th, 2009 3:41 pm

Reminds me of an old joke with the punch line (after a Czech was eaten by a male bear)…
    No one will believe you if you say…”the Czech is in the male” :o)

248. Martina says:
    August 28th, 2009 5:30 pm

This is the BEST thing I have come across … ever! Somebody has said earlier in this discussion that Czech people love fun and have a sense of humour … yeah! … and the best thing about this is that if 10 professional joke makers put their heads together, they still would be unable to make such a hilarious fun like this googling mistake :)

249. dancer says:
    November 12th, 2009 12:37 pm

very funny

message for czech people:
    to neni mozny, socky jsou i tady… spachejte kolektivni sebevrazdu, dementi

250. Chris says:
    February 9th, 2010 3:27 pm

Progress and Prosperity is advertise slogan of opposite party in Czech.

251. Kumail Soomro says:
    April 23rd, 2010 11:26 am

This speaks volumes of the ignorance and negligence of those who developed this hoarding and put the checkered flag instead of the national flag of the Czech Republic. This would have sent a wrong people of the people of and the visiting Czech Republic. I have been to Prague, Czech Republic and it is a beautiful country. I wish that Pakistan develops this relationships with Czech Republic in the interests of both countries. Long Live Pak-Czech Frienship !

252. David Prchal says:
    April 24th, 2010 4:41 pm

Very good § :o)

David Prchal v Brno Česká republika ” Czech Republik ! ” NOU ” Check Republik ” OK?

:o)

253. Imran Aziz Tunio says:
    May 19th, 2010 6:17 am

This is a negligence & mistake. I apologize to any Czech people for it. I again very sorry. I personally apologies as a Pakistani for this stupid mistake of ours. I hope our Czech friends will understand that this is a mistake.I don’t think anyone is defending this. So, therefore I requested to Gabi and Micheal please forget it and don’t make issue

254. Afzal says:
    June 7th, 2010 2:35 pm

This is the extent how much people have started to believe on Google. I guess he just searched check flag on Google.com and put whatever he found on the poster the guy was in pretty hurry ……
    But you definitely have quite strong observation…

255. November 8th, 2010 1:31 am

Well its just an mistake…

256. tory says:
    December 19th, 2010 3:06 am

it was a great mistake which should not have taken place.
    read quran

257. January 9th, 2011 9:09 pm

Actualy our ex Prime minister Mirek Topolánek is also a navigator in Rally car races, so it may be intentional. :-D