Adil Najam’s Video: Ghar Tou Akhir Apna Hai

Posted on September 27, 2010
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Disasters, Environment, Music, Poetry

All Things Pakistan was launched with a remix video I had made back in 2006, based on Faiz Ahmed Faiz’s Hum DaikhaiN Gay, asĀ  – in some ways ATP was launched because of that video. More than four years and more than three hundred thousand views later (on YouTube) that video still seems to be relevant, and this blog keeps going on.

I had not remixed another video since then. Until now. (Or view at YouTube).

This one is not quite as sweeping a political commentary as the first video. But I hope that it is relevant – on Pakistan’s Great Flood of 2010 – and maybe the song and words in the background will also move you in the same way that they always move me.

That the song was itself written as a response to a similar tragedy some 30 years ago makes it even more relevant today, and tragically so. All I would add about the song – sung by Shahnaz Begum (written by Asad Mohammad Khan; I think the music is by Sohail Rana but have not been able to confirm that) – is that I have always loved it (see this post from four years ago) because it takes a refreshingly real view of why we love our country: because it is our home. That is all we need to know. That is all that matters.

In this video, as on the first one, I was moved by the song and how relevant it was to the many thoughts going on in my own head at the time. In this case, those thoughts have been about the floods, but also about our own attitudes of depression and despondency around those floods and everything else happening around us. This song is a response to these attitudes. And so are the words of Mr. Jinnah that I use in the background to the song.

Let me let the song, and the words of Mr. Jinnah, speak for themselves.

30 Comments on “Adil Najam’s Video: Ghar Tou Akhir Apna Hai

1. Ayesha says:
    September 27th, 2010 3:29 am

Bravo Adil Bhai. Bravo.
    I have tears of pride in my eyes.
    Proud to be a Pakistani and proud of Pakistanis like yourself.
    Thank you for remind us all: GHAR TOU AKHIR APPNA HAI.

2. Junaid says:
    September 27th, 2010 3:39 am

Nice work.
    Is that first picture (b&w of young man, right before one of woman with tents in background), is the first picture from 1947. Seems like that.

If so, great find since it is so much like the next picture of the woman and these floods (I think).

3. Zareen Niazi says:
    September 27th, 2010 9:19 am

Adil,

Great effort! Certainly Proud of YOU!
    Very moving and touching….

4. ZAFAR says:
    September 27th, 2010 9:52 am

Excellent.
    I like how the quotes from Jinnah are added.

5. Rafique says:
    September 27th, 2010 10:02 am

Very nice work.
    Sobering to hear the Quaid reminding us that the work of securing our freedoms is not yet done.

6. Mohammad says:
    September 27th, 2010 10:03 am

Beautiful song.
    I remember it from long ago and you are right it is so very relevant to current situation.

7. Hassan says:
    September 27th, 2010 11:47 am

Adil, this is really powerful. Thank you for putting it together. The message is clear and powerful. I specially like the pictures at the end of people rebuilding houses.

I wish our TV channels would run things like this instead of adding to the national depression by always cribbing and crying on how bad things are.

YES THINGS ARE BAD. But lets start looking at the future and how to make things better.

8. SJH says:
    September 27th, 2010 12:04 pm

Despondency and depression are negative emotions that are natural, but for many who pride themselves on their analytic abilities, the more apt emotion is expressed in an Urdu word “Muztarib” which is rarely used in conversation but I remember using somewhere in my FSc Urdu exam. Muztarib is an emotion that has within it a call to action, a call for change and something of a force of nature. But Muztarib people, unless they are poets, are also a dangerous people who can respond unpredictably.

9. ASAD says:
    September 27th, 2010 12:13 pm

Adil, you continue to amaze me with your many talents as well as your passion for Pakistan. Great video.

It is not the floods that make be concerned for Pakistan today. It is our political system and the no end in sight to those problems. I despise military rule and will never support it. But I have to have a better reason that just my dislike for the military to support the politicians!

10. Baig says:
    September 27th, 2010 12:17 pm

Excellent work.
    Saw this here and then went to YouTube and saw it on a big screen. Second time was even more effective. Reccomend seeing it in full screen mode.

Excellent work on making sure that every picture relates to teh words.

11. Waqas Chaudhary says:
    September 27th, 2010 1:48 pm

Loved this video as much as the first one!

12. Ehtisham says:
    September 27th, 2010 2:32 pm

Loved the song. But it is really the pictures and how they relate to the words that made me sit up and see it again and again (yes, much better in full screen).

My favorite was the picture of the young boy playing with a balloon and the beautiful little girl with mehndi on her hands after that. That point in the song really brought tears in my eyes.

13. Faris says:
    September 27th, 2010 6:37 pm

Wow! What a moving video collage. As long as patriots as yourself continue to inspire us to do better, hope lives on in Pakistan.

14. Qudsia says:
    September 27th, 2010 7:36 pm

This is good stuff.
    Had never heard the song before. It is very good.

15. ali b says:
    September 27th, 2010 11:51 pm

A moving video which has stirred my emotions and made me shudder a bit to see the havoc caused by the flood.And at the same time we see the bravery of the men women and children who are fighting nature and trying to save and help each other in every possible way they can, and along comes the beautiful voice of Shehnaz Begum and the speech of Mr Jinnah who are both trying to convey a message to Pakistan which makes it fantastic video.Excellent work.

16. Asma says:
    September 28th, 2010 1:12 am

Ghar tou akhir apna hai.
    How true.

17. Rana says:
    September 28th, 2010 1:16 am

Wow. This si excellent.
    Is that voice really of Quaid e Azm, or is it an actor?

18. Hira Mir says:
    September 28th, 2010 3:18 am

@rana. I would agree. A touching video that reminds me my country is under attack by terrorist and other miseries. If we all could unite on the same page we could save it from persishing in years to come.

19. Imran Niazi says:
    September 28th, 2010 8:01 am

Adil
    Great and touching video and song. Quaid’s msg is so apt and strong. We all should continue doing whatever we can do for our homeland, individually and collectively and not wait for someone to come and provide deliverance.

Keep up the great work.

20. engr says:
    September 28th, 2010 11:56 am

I love PAKISTAN

21. ShahidnUSA says:
    September 28th, 2010 2:43 pm

I admire the ATPs efforts and persistance on the Great flood.

22. auk says:
    September 29th, 2010 12:10 am

I can listen to this all day.

September 29th, 2010 12:19 am

Adil bhai, the message in the video and Shahnaz Begum’s rendition of it are obvious but I am also very impressed by your selection of photos and how you’ve matched them with the song lyrics. Good job and a very powerful video.

24. Asim says:
    September 29th, 2010 1:17 am

Prof. Adil Najam is the Ken Burns of Pakistan.
    Excellent effort, sir.

25. Qadir says:
    September 30th, 2010 3:08 pm

Extremely moving and very very well put together. The pictures and the words blend in beautifully and the message is so much more powerful because of that.
    Yes, ghar tou akhir apna hai.

26. Jawed says:
    October 1st, 2010 12:24 pm

Very very moving. And very well done. Lots of people just throw in a song and lots of pictures and leave it at that. But the thought put into this in selecting and matching pictures to words is really impressive.

27. Saeed says:
    October 2nd, 2010 12:43 am

Great effort, Adil Bhai. True passion can be seen in this.

28. Zaheer says:
    October 2nd, 2010 11:35 am

Excellent effort, Prof. Najam. I have just sent this link to lots of my friends. I love the balance between highlighting the great challenge and also a tone of hope that if we tried we CAN do something.

29. Parveen says:
    October 5th, 2010 12:07 am

Excellent work, Adil Bhai.
    This brought tears to my eyes. But tears of pride and a feeling of goodwill for Pakistan.

30. October 7th, 2010 8:58 am