Arieb Azhar, Again: Hum Charsi Bhangi HaiN

Posted on May 15, 2011
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Music

Readers already know how much I like Arieb Azhar’s music. In some way’s I think of him as Pakistan’s Woody Guthrie. Adding a contemporary edge to folk, modern folk if you will, although I think Arieb himself prefers to call it Sufi-folk. But it is the humanism in his songs that always pull at my heartstrings.

This piece is profound. No, its not about what you might think from the title. This is not self-flagellation. This is an appreciation of self. Take a listen. I should confess it is no match for Arieb’s Husn-i-Haqiqi. But it is matchless nonetheless.

12 Comments on “Arieb Azhar, Again: Hum Charsi Bhangi HaiN

1. Azra says:
    May 15th, 2011 11:35 am

BEAUTIIIIIFUL

2. ShahidnUSA says:
    May 15th, 2011 11:56 am

mmm lovely! bohut Acha!

This would hum in my head when tomorrow Inshallah I ‘d be running the bay to breakers aight!

3. ShahidnUSA says:
    May 15th, 2011 12:48 pm

I am not trying to spoil the mood here but yesterdays explosion in Peshawar came as another shock to me that spoiled many precious lives is not going away easily from my mind but I dedicate this song to brothers and sisters if nothing else. This has a great music beats.

4. Kamal says:
    May 15th, 2011 7:48 pm

Amazing performance. I read the title and thought it will be another one about feeling bad for oneself and saying how bad we are. So pleasant to hear it.

5. HarooN says:
    May 15th, 2011 7:57 pm

This guys voice is amazing, but I thing the real thing is his choice of lyrics. Great find.

6. Faisal says:
    May 15th, 2011 10:05 pm

Brilliant…

7. LMNOP says:
    May 16th, 2011 3:58 am

Adil Sahib.
    why are you promoting cannabis> Charass(hashish) Bhang(ganja) through ATP ? you are an intellectual and a very wise in your trade. But the thing that doesn’t sit well with me is using your site in the name of convenience and attract more traffic.wow
    This singer is a good musician but he is goofy/clowned and the message he is giving is not intelligent, don’t take him as an athority on suffism, sufia-e- kiram never used cannabis in search of almighty or, mystical conciousness. do we have any record of cannabis sonsumption of Baba Farid, Hazrat Hajveri or,Hazrat Chisti(RUH).

‘Cannabis has psychoactive and physiological effects when consumed. The minimum amount of THC required to have a perceptible psychoactive effect is about 10 micrograms per kilogram of body weight. Aside from a subjective change in perception and, most notably, mood, the most common short-term physical and neurological effects include increased heart rate, lowered blood pressure, impairment of short-term and working memory,psychomotor coordination, and concentration. (funny > you are talking about his humistic capacity ).

8. Humaira says:
    May 16th, 2011 5:43 am

What a beautiful song by Arieb.
    What a silly comment by LMNOP!

9. Daktar says:
    May 16th, 2011 7:06 am

This is what gives me hope.
    Amidst all the nonsense on TV and media, there is a new generation of voices who have a totally different narrative. A narrative of humanism and goodness.
    Love the song, because it is the voice of that new Pakistani narrative. As is ATP.

10. Noman says:
    May 16th, 2011 8:22 am

Love the song. Love the style. Love the words.

11. Zubair says:
    May 16th, 2011 9:25 am

A deep song with layers of meaning. Just hope people do not misunderstand it and use it for their own twisted meanings.

12. Durrani says:
    May 16th, 2011 10:53 am

Dr. Najam, as always your selection is immaculate. Although a few people cannot seem to go beyond the title, songs like this show that not only music but also poetry is thriving in Pakistan today.
    This young man is quite amazing. One of his other new songs is even better: Aaj tou keh dey alal ailaan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R85Sl1h-Jzg