Gen. Musharraf on ‘Daily Show’ to Promote Book

Posted on September 13, 2006
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Books, Humor, People, Politics, TV, Movies & Theatre

UPDATE: Watch video clip from President Musharraf on ‘Daily Show’ here.

Most readers of this blog would already know that Pervez Musharraf, Pakistan’s President and Chief of Army Staff, will be in the United States in the second half of this month; i.e., soon. The key stops in the trip will be a speech at the United Nations General Assembly (Sep. 21), the launch of his autobiography (Sep. 25), a meeting with US President George Bush (Sep. 21 and later), and possibly another with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (Sep. 21 or 22). There will, of course, also be various community and think tank stops across the country.

Also see ATP poll on ‘Grading Gen. Musharraf’s Performance’. Updated story on his media engagements and book tour, here.

However, the stop I am looking most forward to is his appearance on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (See here) – the late night ‘fake news’ comedy show on the cable TV channel Comedy Central, on September 26. It should be an interview to remember and I am not planning to miss it (actually, I try never to miss The Daily Show anyhow; see video clip below).

For those who are unfamiliar with the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning show (either because they do not live in the US or because they like to go to bed early) I can only say that it is a television news phenomenon like no other. Its fans call it the most (brutally) honest news show in America. Celebrities, and particularly politicians from all sides, see it as a must-do stop. And particularly in election season they fall over each other to get booked on it. All of this despite the fact that it is, by its own admission, a ‘fake’ news show, which takes great pleasure not only in making fun of politicians but also of ‘real’ news shows. The shows website describes it as being “even better than being informed… One anchor, five correspondents, zero credibility!”

Gen. Musharraf is quite savvy in dealing with the international media and his matter-of-fact way of speaking comes across well. He will, no doubt, make an interesting guest. But he may well meet his match in the blunt questioning in Jon Stewart.

Stewart is not known for polite questioning. Here, for example, is him interviewing former (and possibly future) US Presidential candidate and one of the most influential Republicans, Senator John McCain (can also be seen here):

The show is, in fact, irreverent to all sides. This is quite evident from this second video clip which relates to President Bush’s visit to India and Pakistan earlier this year (see related ATP Posts here and here). [For volatile South Asian emotions, please realize that this is a late-night comedy show, and the 'expert' being interviewed is a fake expert, making fun of self-styled 'experts' as much as anything else] (can also be seen here).

So, as you can imagine, it should be an interesting interview to watch; September 26.

The date, by the way, is not coincidental. It is the day after Gen. Musharraf’s autobiography – In the Line of Fire – will be launched. This highlights the importance of the show, as well as of this appearance. The publisher (Simon and Schuster) is keeping a very tight lid on the contents of the book until its launch and, surprisingly, not much of what is in the book has yet leaked out. So, we will have to wait till later for a review of its contents; meanwhile, see related op-ed by Hussain Haqqani, here.

65 Comments on “Gen. Musharraf on ‘Daily Show’ to Promote Book”

1. September 13th, 2006 4:32 am

I agree the 26th Sept is now a must watch. But how ironic that the biggest supporter of the US after 9/11 can only land a spot on Comedy Central. It goes to show it might after all be just a joke.

Lets await and see what type of cross questioning transpires.

2. September 13th, 2006 4:43 am

Teeth Maestro, irrespective of the validity of the deeper implications of your message, landing a spot on this particular show IS a big deal. In fact, for major politicians as well as for new book authors, a spot on Jon Stewart’s show is about as good as it can get. Because the humor here is ‘deadly serious’, the show has amongst the most loyal and politically informed audiences for any program in America.

In fact, when former US President Bill Clinton wrote his autobiography, one of his first stops was this show. Similarly, in recent US elections, the show has become a ‘must-do’ stop for major US politicians. In that sense, then, it is a coup for the book publishers and Gen. Musharraf will probably get a bigger, more interested but more skeptical audience on this show than in any of his other engagements in the US.

3. PatExpat says:
    September 13th, 2006 6:14 am

Since Musharraf is going to promote his book at the expense of national exchequer, will Pakistanis be getting a share of his income or book at the subsidised cost considering that its Pakistani tax payer’s money that is financing his tour.

I remember his video conference interview on CNN where he started his discussion by praising CNN for its balance and forthright reporting (who was he trying to impress?). The same strategy won’t get him much points on The Daily Show though I don’t think he gained any on CNN.

4. September 13th, 2006 6:22 am

Thanks Adnan for an interesting post. I used to watch regularly Jon Stewart’s show when there was presidential election in US. But long time I stopped, thanks for your post otherwise I would have missed an interesting talk between President Musharaf and him :-)

5. BD says:
    September 13th, 2006 7:33 am

Musharraf is brave!

6. Qudsia Alam says:
    September 14th, 2006 12:45 am

Actually, he is here for a long trip. Maybe as long as 12 days. After the first two days it becomes a personal trip to promote his book. I do not know who pays for it but assume the publisher does. So many interviews are unusual and will be arranged by pblisher to sell book. Most Presidents will not be asked to do so many interviews. In his past trips its been a couple maybe. I dont think there is anything wrong with that as long as it is not paid for by Pakistan government. I don’t think it is. In some countries (US) politicians in office cannot write memoirs. I do not think there is any such rule in Pakistan, so he is not breaking any rules.

Also, no, you do not do diplomacy over the phone. It is, hopefully more serious business than that and a little more complex than ordering Chinese over the phone :-)

7. PatExpat says:
    September 13th, 2006 8:38 am

Continuing from the second The Daily Show link, here is another site where they asked the opinion of people on India Pakistan conflict.

I am sorry if it has little to do with this post.

8. Adnan Ahmad says:
    September 13th, 2006 9:15 am

Jon’s book on democracy is also a must read. Just can’t stop laughing whenever I go through it. The most impressive stunt (and it was not a publicity stunt) from him was to show up on CNN’s cross fire and rip it apart for legit reasons. From that day on I started seeing him differently and he had my respect. That, by the way, pretty much ended Tucker Carlson’s career, as it was.

Husain Haqqani seems to have made a name for himself recently but it’s hard not to see the underlying intent of his columns about the current setup. Of course we are looking at foreign ministership or something equivalent if BB ever comes to power. It would have been nicer to see a column from someone else or maybe even a different name on his column.

9. Suleman says:
    September 13th, 2006 9:43 am

I agree with Adil, that his appearance on the Daily Show is going to be worth watching.
    Teeth Maestro, he is not only scheduled to appear on Daily Show, but also on 24 September on CBS’s ’60 Minutes’ and on NBC’s ‘Meet the Press’ on 1 October.

I’d like to see him respond to Tim Russert as well.

10. PatExpat says:
    September 13th, 2006 10:12 am

He would make a wonderful guest on Aaj TVs ‘Begum Nawazish Ali’

11. September 13th, 2006 11:15 am

PatExpat, the piece from the Onion that you mention is a really funny one. We had featured it here on ATP early on. See here.

12. alvipervaiz says:
    September 13th, 2006 11:21 am

Top leaders in Pakistan often evoke and stir strong emotions witin the citizens. They are mostly seen as ‘total bad’ or ‘total good’. The Hussain Haqqani link provided here is a good example of such emotions. It is obvious that Dr. Haqqani does not belong to the ‘military party’. The fact is that Musharraf is a military dictator who has curbed the free flow of democracy. Another fact is that he is more compitent and less corrupt that his two predicessors. Could you imagin Nawaz Sharif on The Daily Show!. The search for the perfect leader shall continue.

13. Ahmed says:
    September 13th, 2006 11:30 am

jon stewart is really hillarious his show on bushs visit to subcontinent was pretty good. He proposed his own solution for palestine/israel conflict. He totally massacred the two hosts of CNNs CrossFire and told them “Stop It. Stop hurting America” After two/four weeks CNN cancelled the show it is belived it was because of Jon Stewart. You can watch his CNN crossfire appearance on youtube.com

14. Adnan Ahmad says:
    September 13th, 2006 12:18 pm

alvipervaiz,
    Correction. Haqqani has an M.S. in journalism from Karachi university and is not a PhD (not that it would make a difference). His claim to fame started with Jamaat Islami’s student wing which was (and to a large extent still is) quite powerful in Pakistan in the 70s/early 80s with roots going down to the primary school level.

I have no meat for dictatorship but I think your stated second fact makes the first one more desirable because the “free flowing democracy” that he curbed had two very incompetent leaders and there was no respite in sight. Yes, the search for a better leader continues!

15. Haider Ali says:
    September 13th, 2006 12:40 pm

Nice post; It will be interesting listening to Musharraf’s “let me tell you sir” rejoinders. He better come prepared because otherwise he’ll get trampled over or the segment will just be boring.

16. PatExpat says:
    September 13th, 2006 2:18 pm

Adnan Ahmed: So everytime a corrupt politician becomes a premier, the military should step in to rid him or her of their democratically earned position.

We have given Musharraf more time than any of the democratically elected government has ever had in the more than half a century of Pakistan’s checkered political history. Who do you think will win hands down if election are held today.

Benazir without a doubt. If Musharraf has been so good for the rest of the country (not counting us – the few educated elite who read and write on blogs) why is the rest of country not seeing this. Are they blind not to see the development going around them, not reaping the fruits that his dictatorship brought them compared to the previous democratically elected governments. I mean to a poor guy who actually votes unlike the drawing room discussions holding the rest of us, things should have really improved.

So lets say we hold elections after another 6 years, assuming Musharraf holds and gets his cronies elected in the next government (I am sure you would agree that most of the politicians in PML(Q) or should we call it PML(Musharraf) are as corrupt as the remaining lot) who in turn elect him as a president for next 5 years. After that lets suppose he makes way for a democratically elected PM. What if the next PM is corrupt again. Would you want the army to step in again? Who knows that unlike the secular minded Musharraf, the next one turns out to be Mard-e-Haq, Ziaul Haq; would he be acceptable to you?

So please give people a chance to democratically elect governments, once, twice or thrice and become wise themselves. Military intervention has never made people wiser anywhere not it will make them wiser this time.

Who are we that make up less than 10% of population to impose our beliefs on the 90% of the remaining population?

17. alvipervaiz says:
    September 13th, 2006 2:28 pm

Adnan Ahmad:
    Thank you for the corrections (in more than one way). Only if I knew how to use spell check.

18. Adnan Ahmad says:
    September 13th, 2006 3:03 pm

PatExpat,
    Your points are well-taken. However, my response is embedded in your lines..”Who do you think will win hands down if elections are held today. Benazir without a doubt..”

Would she be acceptable to you?

People who vote in Pakistan have short memory and they are indeed, as you eluded to the fact, illiterate. Yet it is still amazing to see people like sheikh rasheed or makhdoom amin faheem (two very different examples from two, in every sense, very different parts of the country) get elected election after election. I agree the present setup is replete with corrupt people but really what alternatives do we have? Please give me a name? (May be Imran but can he really win an election in present day pakistan?)

I also accept the fact this leaves a door open for an other Zia which is scary.. May be we got lucky this time (in RELATIVE terms). I try to forget about the chaudris and shortcut aziz and other one time wonders and seek solace in the numbers.. Exports, Foreign Exchange, Economic Growth, all compared to 99 and the fact that the country is now included on the last page of the economist magazine.. etc. I know all this has a lot to do with the international circumstances but still one gets the feeling that may be there is hope.. which wasn’t even there in the 90s.. Using your hypothesis, I say, what if the next PM is “not” corrupt and it all changes for the better from then on. The child in me says yes that’s a possibility..

19. PatExpat says:
    September 13th, 2006 4:11 pm

We will discuss the numbers some other time. But now for yours, mine and the rest of country’s sake, I hope the child inside you is “right”.

20. Abhimaan says:
    September 14th, 2006 12:16 am

To be honest, I think he will be a fun guest. He seems to like these appearances and is quite kool in them. He has lots of confidence and can hold his own. I just hope he does realize that it is a comedy show.

21. temporal says:
    September 13th, 2006 5:10 pm

let us see what he does:)

i recall the late Zina ul Haque’s famous quote on CBS:
    take a little bit of hotch-potch and add more hotch-potch to it and it will remain hotch-potch”

i expect jon’s research staff to unearth mushy’s outburst last year at the poor woman!

22. Eidee Man says:
    September 13th, 2006 5:45 pm

I’m in absolute shock…and I’m trying to think why that is. Musharraf is certainly very brave if he’s really going to do this. I mean, even not-so-important senators, etc shy away from going to Jon Stewart because they would get ripped apart.

I’m looking forward to this one!!! :D

23. Eidee Man says:
    September 13th, 2006 5:48 pm

@Teeth Maestro

I’ll be extremely surprised if Musharraf is not interviewed by one of the networks or by CNN. Regardless of Pakistan’s perception in the media, any network would be glad to carry an interview with Musharraf.

24. Mast Qalandar says:
    September 13th, 2006 7:42 pm

25. Eidee Man says:
    September 14th, 2006 12:37 am

[quote comment="2569"]Is the General going to be in the US for that long and going to make so many TV appearances? It seems as if he is contemplating to be a candidate in the upcoming US mid-term elections?[/quote]

So many? TV interviews dont take long, he can probably do 4 on a given day with ease.

Presedential visits are supposed to be like this. You’ll notice that the time he’ll spend actually talking to Bush will probably be a couple of hours….the meetings are more symbolic than anything else….I mean, there’s not much that can’t be discussed via phone, etc and via the hundreds of diplomats between both countries.

26. PatExpat says:
    September 14th, 2006 1:24 am

In Pakistan, its usually the generals who write their memoirs when holding the office. Case in point: Friends not Masters by Ayub Khan. Others can be sent to jail in national interest/ national security Case in Point: Javaid Hashmi (Does anybody even know what his crime was?)

The two days are for public and rest is personal. Even if the rest of the trip is financed by publisher which I think not, the cost of the flight to and from Pakistan along with associated costs should be allocated at a ratio of 10 to 2 between Musharraf/Publishers and National Exchequer. These foreign trips by our dignitaries are not cheap. According to newspaper report, just Shortcut Aziz’s trips cost us a hefty Rs.750 million last year.

27. Roshan Malik says:
    September 14th, 2006 3:09 pm

It seems that Shaheen Sehbai joined The News from Washington http://www.thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=3024 . It would also be intersting to see how he reports Gen Musharraf’s visit to USA.

28. Jagga says:
    September 16th, 2006 3:10 am

I am surprised not to see any comments about his book. Well, we have not seen it yet. But what do people think about his writing it while still in office? Is that appropriate?
    By the way, I think his bout with Jon Stewart will be legandary. They are both straight talking, so lets see.

29. Altamash Mir says:
    September 17th, 2006 2:32 am

AOA all…
    Adil sorry for not visiting for a while…just have been very busy with Kaam…seems like that site is overflowing !!!

Mr. Musharraf is really unstoppable…is hunger for the limelight and flare is taking him (alongwith Pakistan) to unchartered territories…This is obviously great for Pakistan !!! IF he doesnt screw up…and so what if he does screw up..he’s only human…atleast he had the courage to stand up and speak…

30. Zain says:
    September 18th, 2006 10:10 pm

I am happy to read that Mushy will be on the Daily Show. Can’t wait to see how the leader of Pakistan will handle Jon Stewart and ofcourse, can’t wait to read his book either.

31. September 20th, 2006 3:10 am

I am not too much in TV these days but can anyone tell me that how can I watch this interview in Karachi.I think mentioned channel is not in list of local cable operators

32. Intikhab says:
    September 21st, 2006 10:48 am

Preisdent Clinton was on the Stewart Show this MOnday…. so, maybe its start of ‘Presidents Season’….

I wonder what he would ask Musharraf? Especially when he is in the ‘hot seat’?

33. Daktar says:
    September 21st, 2006 10:59 am

Adnan, I am not sure if it comes in Pakistan. I doubt if it does. But lot of it is on YouTube including the clips that Adil included.

Adil, will be good to add a clip of this when it airs for those who miss it or cannot see it.

Intikhab, I think you can be sure he will be asked about women’s issues. And also about deal on Taliban with tribals.

34. Samdani says:
    September 21st, 2006 11:41 am

I do not think interview will be too hard hitting. I think some of these things are decided in advance.

I am more interested in what the book will say. WIll it reveal anything new or will it just be PR?

35. Mast Qalandar says:
    September 21st, 2006 1:02 pm

I don’t know what to expect from the general’s book but let me make a prediction. Soon after the book is released the ministers and advisors will try to outdo each other in praising the book and even suggesting that it be included as a must read in schools and colleges. The libraries will be asked to generous stocks of the book. And, some “literary” circles might even recommend the book for some kind of a “Booker Prize”.

36. September 21st, 2006 1:49 pm

[quote post="302"]WIll it reveal anything new[/quote]

I don’t know but it will sure give a good chance to columnists to earn fame and money by misinterpretating his words. *grin*

37. Ummair Peer-zada says:
    September 21st, 2006 11:33 pm

Man I am really looking forward for it. It will be indeed very interesting. I think on comedy central websight this interview will be posted. Let’s see what he writes about extremism rise in liberal and religion sects and where in the hell Pakistan is heading ? Is it heading towards civil war between these two sects ? What happened to his Atta Turk thoughts ?

38. September 22nd, 2006 12:38 am

[quote post="302"]What happened to his Atta Turk thoughts ?[/quote]

If you’re in Pakistan then you will clearly see that he has not forgot Ataturk yet.

39. jawaid murtaza says:
    September 22nd, 2006 8:34 pm

Is Musharraf blessing in disguise?
    Many think he saved Pakistan from worse scenario and many think he sold Pakistan to US.

40. rumour monger says:
    September 23rd, 2006 12:11 pm

Here is what I heard from someone who claims to know someone who claims to know someone who claims to know someone who really knows. Some senior advisors to Musharraf are suggeesting to him to cancel appearing on Daily Show becasue it is ‘beneath him’. There is a serious discussion he may not appear on it now. The rumour is interesting, but my source is totally unreliable. So, I will wait and see.

41. David Holbrook says:
    September 23rd, 2006 2:30 am

By the time he comes to Jon Stewart, the story would have evolved and changed many times over. But it sure will be fun.

42. Nasir says:
    September 23rd, 2006 1:12 am

43. Talha says:
    September 23rd, 2006 5:04 am

Looking forward to it but I wish Mushy was scheduled to appear on The COLBERT Report.

44. BD says:
    September 23rd, 2006 9:38 am

[quote comment="3077"]Guys, I am betting that Mush comes out fighting and looking good… Jon Stewart will not give him a tough time… it will be about Armitage and this time Mush use his publisher as a shield[/quote]

I tend to think the same.

45. Trekker says:
    September 23rd, 2006 12:29 pm

Good work creating buzz about the book, Adil. How about a shoutback to my blog — I had broken the Daily Show news in the blogosphere back on Sept 7 and see here:

46. Jennifer K says:
    September 27th, 2006 12:47 am

I never miss Jon’s show and had waited this one eagerly. Yes, he was nice to the Pakistan Prez. He was looking to get Musharaf to say something about Bush and in the end he did. That was the best laugh line of the show. About both Bush and Osama losing. I thought that was quick thinking by the Pakistan Prez.

47. SHAHZAD MOIN says:
    September 26th, 2006 2:56 pm

well its good to read books like that !!!!!!!

48. mujnoon says:
    September 26th, 2006 3:25 pm

I agree with the post earlier that either Musharraf’s appearance on the show can completely fall flat or perhaps be somewhat amusing.

As an aside I do find this book promotion stuff really embarrassing, strange and bizarre. I have always felt Musharraf is the better option than any other politician Pakistan has today (i.e BB, NS and IK). Having said that he isn’t the answer to Pakistan’s problems either (at least for the long term). In fact his influence might be quite desctructive on Pakistan’s political future and if he’s still the lesser of all the evils, I think that says a lot about the sad state of affairs in Pakistan today.

49. bhitai says:
    September 26th, 2006 6:01 pm

jon stewart is one cynical individual who you can’t please/fool using mere rhetoric (which is pretty much what Mushy got). I do remember however that he was rather respectful with Collin Powell. Could it be because of some level of political correctness at play? if that’s the case, then I predict it won’t be as bad. Jon might come out a bit condescending in that he gave the guy free pass.

50. Samdani says:
    September 26th, 2006 11:55 pm

don’t want to say that I told you so, but just saw Jon Stewart and I thought he was quite nice and kind to Gen. Mush. No hardball questions there. It was funny. I thought the bit about the tea in the beginning was nice and took gen Mush off guard. And his answer to the last question on Bush v. Osama election was funny, not sure if Bush will think it is funny.

51. Kumail says:
    September 27th, 2006 12:25 am

I agree with Samdani there – I think Musharaf did well too – although Jon wasnt throwing around his regular punches but he did start of with a few, like the Osama question after a toast to Musharafs health. Some one should post a video of the gig here.

Cheers
    MKA

52. September 27th, 2006 12:57 am

Folks, I don’t have a video of this to share yet (if anyone sees one somewhere, please let me know).

However, a newsreport (from AP) was amazingly quick to appear in the San Jose Merccury News, which describes much of what happened:

Pakistan Prez appears on ‘Daily Show’
    JAKE COYLE
    Associated Press
    NEW YORK – Jon Stewart welcomed Pakistan’s president to “The Daily Show” on Tuesday with tea and a Twinkie. President Gen. Pervez Musharraf’s tete-a-tete with Stewart on the Comedy Central program was even more unlikely than the much-anticipated meeting between Musharraf, Afghan President Hamid Karzai and President Bush, planned for Wednesday.

As a gesture mirroring Pakistani hospitality, Stewart welcomed Musharraf with a cup of jasmine green tea, and offered the more American delicacy of a Twinkie. Musharraf chuckled and thanked the host, though Stewart promptly changed the subject.

“Where’s Osama bin Laden?” he asked suddenly.

“I don’t know,” replied Musharraf. “You know where he is? You lead on, we’ll follow you.”

Musharraf’s appearance on “The Daily Show,” which was taped late Tuesday and was to air Tuesday evening, was the first time a sitting head of state appeared on the program, a show spokesman said. The comedy show, though, has frequently drawn major political figures, including former President Clinton last week.

The Pakistan president, who is on tour of the U.S., appeared on the program to promote his new memoir, “In the Line of Fire.” The book has drawn headlines for, among other things, the Pakistan president’s claim that after the Sept. 11 attacks he had no choice but to support the U.S. led war on terror groups or face an American “onslaught.”

On balancing the wishes of the U.S. and Pakistan, which is largely anti-American, Musharraf told Stewart: “I’ve had to learn the art of tightrope-walking many times, and I think I’ve become quite an expert of that.”

Stewart, himself, has also proven deft at balancing both humor and seriousness on “The Daily Show.” At one point, he asked Musharraf if he had omitted any mention of the war in Iraq in his memoir because it has “gone so well.”

Musharraf again laughed, but said: “It has led certainly to more extremism and terrorism around the world.”

To conclude the interview, Stewart put Musharraf on the “Seat of Heat,” a new feature for the program in which red lights flash around the studio and the guest is asked a final question.

“George W. Bush and Osama bin Laden – be truthful – who would win a popular vote in Pakistan?” asked Stewart.

“I think they’ll both lose miserably,” replied Musharraf, an answer met with raucous laughter by the “Daily Show” audience.

53. Daktar says:
    September 27th, 2006 2:05 am

I thought it was good fun. Niether too it too seriously, and nor should we. As you know from my comments here, I am no fan of Gen. Musharraf, but I thought on this one he handled himself well.

54. Eidee Man says:
    September 27th, 2006 2:38 am

I watched it live. It was much better than the disastrous interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN. It seems like CNN edited the video to make it look more spicy…also, Musharraf seemed like he was exhausted even before the interview started.

Anyway, I think Musharraf, overall, has done some things right and a lot of things wrong. However, when he’s abroad, regardless of what I would like, I am being represented by him by virtue of the fact that I am a citizen of Pakistan. I suspect that that is the primary reason why most people on this blog are interested in his tour even though they are not ardent supporters of Musharraf (to say the least).

Lastly, it seems like the news channels in the U.S. have been on a rampage against lots of people lately….I mean the whole Clinton issue with Fox and now with Musharraf.

55. Daktar says:
    September 27th, 2006 4:40 am

Eidee, I have seen the 60 Minutes, the Charlie Rose and the Jon Stewart interviews. But not the WOlf Blitzer one. I thought that for serious analysis the Charlie Rose interview was the best, the Jon Stewart one was most entertaining, and Musharraf’s performance in 60 Minutes was the worst amongst these three.

56. Trekker says:
    September 27th, 2006 10:01 am

I uploaded some rough videos — check out my entry here
    Also have his CNN Situation Room video capture which I’ll try to upload.

57. malang says:
    September 27th, 2006 6:18 pm

I thought he looked nervous and out of place. specially with the first question about osama

58. Trekker says:
    September 27th, 2006 12:21 pm

Actually, the original videos are now up on Comedy Central’s site: here

59. September 27th, 2006 1:04 pm

[...] The much talked about appearance on Jon Stewart’s Daily Show: [...]

60. D.C.Law says:
    September 27th, 2006 2:58 pm

President Musharraf’s appearance at the Daily Show with Jon stewart IS, contrary to certain posts herein, a VERY big deal! In World gone mad by Bill O ‘ reilly’s spins and Anne Coulter’s hateful vomits, Jon Stewart is a breath of sanity.
    I personally know a lot of Americans who stayed up late to watch President musharraf’s interview last night. My Inbox was full this morning with good comments about Musharraf.

The media spins Pakistan in a different light, for them we are a violent, intolerant, hateful people who want to Kill Kill Kill… President Musharraf talks sense and thus sheds a positive light on us. Enlightened Moderation people THAT is what the President is all about .. THAT is what Pakistan is all about.

Thank God for Musharraf.

61. bhitai says:
    September 27th, 2006 5:34 pm

As expected, he got a free pass. Probably some kinda prior arrangement. It was a new kind of experience for Jon stewart himself who is used to having mostly has-beens on his show. Mushy did ok, I still doubt if TDS fans (who are mostly youngsters) will be motivated to buy the book. Which makes this appearance almost pointless..

62. Sridhar says:
    September 27th, 2006 9:01 pm

A “general” question.

How does one “hang upside down from a tree’s branch and pluck mangoes with one’s feet”? I know that commandos are supposed to be kind of superhuman, as Musharraf undoubtedly is. But doesn’t “hanging upside down” mean that one is hanging by one’s feet (you would not be upside down if you hang using your hands)? If so, how can one pluck mangoes with those feet? Any commando insights on how this can be done?

63. Roshan Malik says:
    October 25th, 2006 10:32 am

Jon Sterwart on David Letterman’s show about Musharaff….an interesting video clip :)

64. October 30th, 2006 7:38 am
  65. Jawaid Murtaza says:
    April 22nd, 2007 9:24 pm

[quote comment="3069"]Is Musharraf blessing in disguise?
    I believe he is an honest and worthy leader ever seen in last 30 years of Pakistan’s history and he deserved the best and we all should read his book and watch his dialogues with John Stewart on September 26, 2006.[/quote]

Recent news about merger between President Musharraf and Benazeer if it’s true, could be benefecial for Pakistan if She is given with restricted powers.