Posted on January 4, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, About ATP, Photo of the Day

This post should really have Owais Mughal’s by-line at the top. You will see in a minute why it does not (I wanted to talk about him and other ATP authors).

First, about the picture. Owais took this in Karachi last week and it beautifully combines his enduring passion in rickshaws and an interest in the unusual. We wondered what the appropriate title may be. One thought was ‘The Blind Leading the Lame’ (the ‘blind’ referring to the daredevil driving attitude of some rickshaw drivers; although this one seems to be not so!). Another thought was: ‘Rickshay pay ricksha, darr ricksha.’ Readers, any suggestions?

And now to some nice news about this and other Pakistani blogs.

Our friend SAJ Shirazi just did a couple of posts on his blog where he unveiled his lists of the Best Pakistani Blogs of 2006 and the Best Pakistani Blog Posts of 2006 (the later compiled with Ayesha Saeed).

We at ATP feel honored that he has chosen Pakistaniat.com on his Top Pakistani Blogs list. And there are three different posts from ATP on the Top Pakistani Posts list. These include Mast Qalandar writing on Turbans of Pakistan; Raza Noor writing about Lahore, Lahore Aye; and, of course, Owais Mughal’s classic piece on Rickshaws. Actually, we would like to claim 5 slots on the list: Bilal Zuberi’s post on Muslim Nobel Award Winners on his blog we would claim by association, and while SAJ Shirazi has too much humility and did not include any of his own posts, I would rank the one on Kelash that was reposted on ATP from his blog, as good as any.

I just wanted to use this post to congratulate all of them and thank them for making ATP a community of such a multitude of topics and people. I was to especially thanks Owais Mughal and Bilal Zuberi for sharing the load of the daily management of this blog. Of course, these lists are the opinions of those who compiled them. Others might wish to add or subtract things. But the real point I take from the lists is about the vibrancy of the emerging Pakistani blogshere and that, I feel, is the most heartening thing of all. This is reflected not only in the posts but in the discussions. That is where we get some of our best ideas from.

I also happen to know that there are many many who visit ATP regularly but do not comment – maybe afraid of being ‘pounced at’ by the eternally angry. I hope that in this coming year we will ‘convert’ more of them to commenters and maybe begin curbing the passions of the angriest amongst us. I really want to thank those who do post comments and make up the vibrant conversations; but for them there would be no ATP – at least, not in this form. These lists also make me want to thank the larger Pakistani blogsphere. I hope people will explore the blogs on our blogroll (and beyond). There is a remarkable world of Pakistani conversations out there; and while some conversations scare me, most give me hope that better things are possible.

Finally, I wanted to introduce a new feature – The Editor’s Choice SURPRISE @ Pakistaniat.com. You may already have seen the icon on the right hand column. Pressing this button will lead you to a ‘Post from the Past’ selected by the ATP Editors. We will change the selection (hopefully) twice or more a day (if the color scheme of the button has changed, that means the post has too). We will try to select those posts that many might have missed but which we feel are worth taking a look at. I hope people will find it useful.

14 Comments on “Picture of the Day and Kudos for ATP”

1. Ahsan says:
    January 4th, 2007 3:09 pm

Congratulations. I am a new comer to this blog (ATP) but I also did appreciate the Caps and Turbans by Mast Qalandar. I hope he will keep on adding more colour to this site in future. I will be waiting for his new colourful post with his special humour.

Ahsan

2. Akif Nizam says:
    January 4th, 2007 3:18 pm

I sincerely think that no other comes even close. The diversity of topics and opinions on ATP makes it a choice Pakistani blog.

Congratulations to the authors and contributors. They leave me in awe day after day.

3. The Pakistanian says:
    January 4th, 2007 4:15 pm

I read the following written in the back of a richsha

Mout kay moo meiN baith ker muskuranay valay
    Hafiz tera Khuda, o raksha chalanay valay!!!

Well done ATP, you truely deserve all the accolades!

4. Mariam says:
    January 4th, 2007 9:43 pm

Congrats!!!

I thought richshaws were banned in Karachi. Oh, well but I don’t want it to go so soon as it’s a part of my growing up :D.

5. Samdani says:
    January 4th, 2007 11:35 pm

Saw this at the back of a rickshaw some years ago. Could be a good title for this:

“Mairay peechay aana zara soch kar!”

6. Samdani says:
    January 4th, 2007 11:40 pm

Congratulations. Deserved honours.

Thinking of my favorite ATP posts, some of the ones on poets like Mustafa Zaidi and Munir Niazi and personalities like Patras Bokhari are amongst my favorites.

Also the Ramzan and Eid ul Fitr posts were very nice.

7. jyoti says:
    January 5th, 2007 2:39 am

Congratulations to the whole ATP community- not only writers, but those who come here to read and comment. ATP presents Pakistan in a more vibrant and positive way.ATP is what mainstream media should be- everywhere; presenting the positive side of the world they live in. Pakistan is always portrayed (even in mainstream Pakistani media) as a pit of negative happenings. It is not so. There are always good people, good things happening around us. ATP has kept ” a chirag roshan” for Pakistan. I hope this positiveness will spread among all Pakistanis.

8. Sridhar says:
    January 5th, 2007 11:23 am

Congratualations on a wonderful blog. Ever since I started seeing it, I have been addicted. It seems like I am amongst friends, not those who agree with me all the time, but those who are friends despite disagreements. And this is not just because Owais is a personal friend or that I have met Adil Najam once (though he may not remember me).

In any case, keep up the good work and keep the flag of Pakistaniat flying high.

9. Sohaib says:
    January 5th, 2007 2:19 pm

I frequently interact with foreigners who want to know more about Pakistan. Usually, I simply refer them to this website, as I feel there is no better tarjumaan.

10. Ghlaib says:
    January 6th, 2007 12:43 am

sridhar differences i guess make some relations better!
    we are frrnds as animosity yields nuffin but destruction!

11. January 6th, 2007 1:47 am

Thank you all for the kind words.

Sridhar, I will have to figure out where we met… possibly if I see you I will recignize. But thank you also for the nice sentiments.

12. RA says:
    January 8th, 2007 7:28 am

Can’t really think up any quote relevant to this photgraph, but I do remember reading behind a rickshaw once “Mai bara ho kay bus banoon ga.”

13. Salima says:
    January 10th, 2007 6:02 pm

Thank you for this site. And the honors are deserved. For las many weeks now, this has also become an addiction for me. Now I worry that it is getting in the way of my work! Thanks

14. Qausain says:
    March 19th, 2009 3:33 pm

I love this site… ATP Khappay!