Farooq Qaisar, Uncle Sargam, PTV and Putli Tamashas

Posted on January 20, 2007
Filed Under >Darwaish, Culture & Heritage, Education, Humor, People, TV, Movies & Theatre

By Darwaish

Who doesn’t remember Uncle Sargam, Haiga, and Maasi Museebatay? Like so many others, I grew up with all of them. And what wonderful memories they still are.

Last week, I was looking for Angan Tehra, an old PTV drama serial, in one of the famous Hall Road markets when I saw CDs of ‘Kalian’. Written and directed by Farooq Qaiser, it used to be a very popular puppet show on PTV during 80’s and 90’s.

During 90’s, Rola (as in Uncle Sargam’s words: small crockery chota panda) and another one who used to start every sentence with ‘Mere Piyare Allah Mian’ also became very popular.

If I am not wrong, puppets were introduced for the very first time in Pakistan by Farooq Qaiser. Yes, I know traditional Putli Tamasha was there already and perhaps still exists in some of the villages of Punjab although I think that is very different from what we saw on PTV with Uncle Sargam and Company.

By the way, some of you will be surprised to know that Pakistan is perhaps the only country after United States that has its own Puppet character or a show – our very own Kalian.

So anyways, when I was growing up everyone around me loved puppets because not only they were fun but they also helped us learn a lot of things. Like Uncle Sargum always had a message to convey.

Kalian was also popular because it was political, it used to make fun of politicians, highlighted social issues and at the same time, it also had a good entertainment value for children and teenagers. Somehow Farooq Qaiser managed to say things using his puppets which were otherwise impossible during Gen. Zia’s rule. He also did another puppet show before Kalian (I think it was Akkar Bakkar?) but it was mainly a children’s education program. It would be appropriate if I call it a local version of Sesame Street.

It’s a pity that most kids I come across these days are addicted to computer games, play stations and other hi-fi stuff. It irritates me the most when I see parents allowing their 7-8 years old kids watch movies (Indian and English both) which is a shame really considering their age and the stuff they are being exposed to. They really miss the little joys of talking puppets. There is a time for everything and kids these days have too much exposure at such a young age.

Coming back to puppets, one of our office cook is very good with both performing and making puppets. I was having a conversation with him yesterday and he told me that there was a time when he used to do a monthly Putli Tamasha in his village. People of all ages from his village and nearby used to come and enjoy the show but not anymore. Slowly during the last decade, everyone seems to have lost interest in Putli Tamasha and they no longer find it interesting.

I guess technology has hit Pakistani villages really hard when they were probably not ready for it and the result is that they have lost simplicity and a lot of good things from their lives. We have dozens of channels now in Pakistan but I don’t think there is a single one showing a puppet show like Kalian at the moment. Correct me if I am wrong. I have seen Sesame Street once or twice on PTV though. Last night I checked almost every channel on cable but seems like Puppet Shows are out of fashion these days.

Rafi Peer Theatre and a few others are trying to keep puppets alive and its only because of them really that we are able to see puppets in action these days. Here in Lahore, we have this wonderful World Performing Arts Festival every year and I am so glad to see that puppets have been and are becoming even more important segment of the festival each year.

A few years ago Faizaan Pirzaada built the Museum of Puppetry in Lahore near Qadaffi stadium. Puppets history and most of our beloved puppet characters can be seen there. Check it out sometime if you haven’t already.

56 Comments on “Farooq Qaisar, Uncle Sargam, PTV and Putli Tamashas”

1. A.Rahman says:
    January 20th, 2007 2:19 pm

When I was in secondary school (Mama Parsi School in Karachi) we had a Riz Theater Puppet Show perform live for us..I must have been ~9-10 around that time. It was Rs. 25(still a slight significant amount in those days) each to fund it..but the show was well worth it.

Very good introduction to the art of puppet show. Simply beautiful. Thank you for the post.

2. G.A. says:
    January 20th, 2007 4:30 pm

I remember watching a puppet show at the AlHamra Arts centre in Lahore, sometime in the mid 80s. I think they still hold the shows there:

3. Bundagi says:
    January 20th, 2007 6:31 pm

i remember these shows…as a kid i use to love watching these programs…i also remember that we were only allowed to watch very select things on TV and moreover, for not more than 30 mins. a day. However, i am ashamed to say my own daughter watches way more than that. What is also sad frankly is that i think the uncle Sargam team did not really get the appreciaiton they should have deserved. Look at the characters here, Elmo, Sesame Street, Barney. These are very old shows as well but they have grown every year and every generation knows them. However, our Pakistani Television has failed to recognize the potential of Uncle Sargam and the likes and have failed to invest in them.

4. January 20th, 2007 7:02 pm

Thank you Darwaish for doing this post for us. Farooq Qaiser and Kaliyan have been on my very long list of posts-to-do for ATP. For my money, Farooq is amongst the most talented Pakistanis I know. Along with Shoaib Mansoor – who we have written about a few times – he is a person who not only changed teh face of Pakistan Television but left deep and lasting memories for entire generations. Kaliyan was clearly and institution, and so were Uncle Sargam and Maasi Museebate. I am not sure if there are no other countries with puppet shows of their own (sounds a little odd) but I do know that these characters were amongst the first and most successful Pakistani ‘brand’ characters ever… does anyone remember the cut-outs you used to get out of (I think) Barq washing powder. I know of lots of kids who woudl pester their parents to get more of that powder than was ever needed just to collect the full series of cutouts. It was an absolute craze… much like Yu-gi-oH or Pokemon cards in the today…. does anyone remember if it was, in fact, Barq soap or something else….. what an amazing marketing campaign that was.

But more than that, knowing Farooq, I can say that he (like Shoaib) is amongst the nicest of people you woudl ever meet… I have not met him now for many many years and your post reminds me that I must do so soon.

5. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar says:
    January 20th, 2007 7:36 pm

Farooq Qaiser also did another show in the 90s whose name I can’t recall – maybe it was “Sargam, Sargam Aur Phir Sargam”. The legendary Shehnaz Sheikh used to host it with Uncle Sargam. Ismaeel Tara, Irfan Khoosat and Zeba Shehnaz also appeared on the show along with Uncle Sargam’s usual cast. I have to say that it was some of the best comedy I’ve seen along with Anwar Maqsood’s work like Studio Dhai, etc. Irfan Khoosat was brilliant in his skits as a government employee. Ismaeel Tara is Ismaeel Tara – enough said!

Another highlight of the show was Babar Niazi – Tufail Niazi’s son. He sang some parodies of old songs. Apart from a great voice, he had a gift for impersonations. It was amazing to see how many minute things he’d observed in his subjects and then brought them to life in his own performances.

Of course, seeing the love of my life i.e., Shehnaz Sheikh on TV after long breaks is always a good thing too. :-)

6. January 20th, 2007 11:40 pm

7. The Pakistanian says:
    January 20th, 2007 11:40 pm

Farooq Qaiser sure was one of the foremost and very few creative geniuses on PTV. His program was watched and loved equally by children and adults. I think his program that came later in mid 80s with Rolla as his sidekick was geared more towards adults for the political and social undertones it used to have. I still remember this little jingle Uncle Sargam once sang in one of his shows:

Write a letter to my father
    Ask him to send money order
    Us maiN likh do ye reason
    I want to buy a television!!!

I think it was hillarious!

8. The Pakistanian says:
    January 21st, 2007 12:07 am

[quote comment="29894"]Though Farooq Qaiser is well known as Uncle Sargam but majority of people is not aware that he’s also a poet. The famous song “Komal Komal Palkain Bojhal” sung by Nazia Hasan was written by Farooq Qaiser.[/quote]

Adnan

I don’t know about origin of the particular Nazia Hassan song you have mentioned, but there was a lyricist in Bollywood by the same name Farooq Qaiser, who wrote lyrics for many hindi movies including Qurbani featuring late Nazia Hasan’s hit Aap jaisa koi. I do not think they are the same person. As far as the Farooq Qaiser under discussion, he did show us his poetic ingenuity through several of his funny jingles as quoted by yours truely above! :)

BTW what is Qaiser sahab upto these days, is he still in show business or is he retired.

9. TURAB says:
    January 21st, 2007 3:18 am

where is maasi museebte??

gr8 post!

10. January 21st, 2007 6:28 am

@ThePakistanian: I don’t remember the qurbani songs but I was a die hard fan of Kishore in past and one of his famous song “Bad muddat k hum tum miley” was written by some Farooq Qaiser but that was not our Uncle sargam. That particular nazia song was composed by Baddu/Biddu whatever that’s why it was taken in Indian movie.

11. Zeeshan says:
    January 21st, 2007 8:04 am

Farooq Qaiser who wrote song for Nazia Hasan lives in India and not our Farooq Qaiser. I remember Haiga died in some motorcylce accident many years ago and we all felt so sad I actually know someone who cried.

Shehnaz Sheikh and Marina Khan both appeared in some episodes of Kalian. I would also like to know what Farooq sb doing these days?

12. January 21st, 2007 10:21 am

I do not know if this particualr Nazia song was written by Farooq or not. However, I do know that he did write a number of TV songs. Most of the songs in Kaliyan – including tehoriginal ones sung by Bushra Ansari when she used to be a regular in teh original cast – were written by him and he wouddl occasionally pen the ‘TV songs’ produced by the Rawalpindi/Islamabad station.

As to whehre he is now, i hnave not met him for a few years but then he was mostly doing work for UNICEF Pakistan, which had started with his making promotional stuff on children’s health and also the environment but had mushroomed (I think) into more braodly based work for UNICEF in Pakistan and internationally.

13. azarpr says:
    January 21st, 2007 11:32 am

Read more on Farooq and Kalian’s history as well what Farooq is involved in nowadays… http://www.mag4you.com/spotlight/Farooq Qaiser/4077.htm

According to Farooq, USA and Pakistan are the two countries with original puppets… rest came from folklore..

14. Akif Nizam says:
    January 21st, 2007 11:41 am

Kalyan used to one of the highlights of my week growing up. Loved the show. Sharmeeli was my favorite character; i think it was voiced by Bushra Ansari. Haiga was great too(“Haiga, majood haiga, jaisay paani main doodh haiga”).

I remember watching an interview by FQ a while ago. I think he mentioned that Kalyan was (partly) funded by UNICEF or UNESCO and perhaps that explains why the content was more liberal than the then political environment allowed.

15. Aqeel Syed says:
    January 21st, 2007 1:32 pm

Well a great post, bringing me the memories of childhood. Uncle Sargum was fabulos :D

16. Asma says:
    January 21st, 2007 1:51 pm

Haa — Uncle sargam, maasi musseebtay and that lil uncle sargam’s chotta pandaa (forgot his name) — I guess this one program was THE BEST show ever aired from PTV Islamabad – Not to mention an equally enchanting Puppet show for children as well as elders (I used to prefer Kaliyan on sesame street in my childhood) — Thanks derwaish for reviving the beautiful memories …!

17. Imran Ahmad says:
    January 21st, 2007 4:02 pm

Asma that little black poppet was Rola, one of my fav too :). I think Kaliaan was forcefully shutdown because govt at that time thought it was too political and not appropriate for PTV.

18. Naveed says:
    January 22nd, 2007 9:16 am

If I am not mistaken Naveed Shahzad was also part of Kalian. The one jingle that always cracked me up and this has a lot of meaning in the commercial market where people indulge in extracting the maximum benefit in their favor is

jo tairay so mairay, jo mairay vo mairay
    masla hay yeh tiaRa
    ho na pareeshaan
    oo bhai kukran

So thanks for the memories

19. mrizvi says:
    January 22nd, 2007 2:59 pm

Adil: It was Barq washing power. I collected few of those cut-outs myself.

My favourite Uncle Sargam songs were:

all hair on my tind
    have flow with the wind
    Mayray sir kay saaray baal
    urr gaey hawa day naal

and this one I think was a more recent one:

aayay mausam rangeelay suhanay,
    Jia nahee maanay,
    tu chutte lay kay aaja balmaa.

The colored weather has come,
    the heart doesn’t believe,
    O’ my darling come on a casual leave.

20. January 23rd, 2007 12:07 am

Actually I know about that famous Nazia song[available on MUZIQ.NET] written by Farooq sahib because he himself told in a PTV program several years ago and then in same program nazia sung that song live.

21. Amna says:
    January 23rd, 2007 12:39 pm

I loved when Uncle Sargum slapped Rola saying: Badtameez

Then there was another puppet who used to start everything like:

Mere Piyare Allah Mian
    Ye kaisa andher hai

I think the voice behind that puppet was of a famous comedian from PTV and stage. Forgot his name. And yes, Babar Niazi was good too. We should put some sort of pressure on channels to start Kaliaan again. Great post!

22. Mac says:
    January 24th, 2007 3:49 pm

puppets are there on some music shows at ARY’s Muzik channel and some other channels but they are not even close to Uncle Sargum. There is a frog puppet which appears in a show hosted by anoushey. below average.

23. January 24th, 2007 10:55 pm

Uncle Surgam’s show used to be one of my favorites back then in the early ninties when I was growing up. Now when I think about it, it was Qaisar’s genius that enabled that show to both be educational to the children as well as display political satire at the same time.

Favorite quote that I’ll never forget is said by Uncle Sargam before chastising his assistant Rola:

“Chota paanda quarter plate…”

24. imtiaz says:
    January 25th, 2007 1:18 pm

no one can match maasi museebate’s cursing.

ve tera kuch na jayi .. bera gharaq… lol. i thought it was way too funny.

what a great post. thank you

25. Asma says:
    January 25th, 2007 2:12 pm

Going thru the comments are bringing up beautiful witty lines from mind’s back too … I seem to be listening to Uncle sargam’s (Farooq Qaisar) typical styled Badtameez to Rolaa (thanks Imran ahmed and Amna) …. Still enjoying :)

26. Faraz says:
    January 26th, 2007 3:35 pm

In one of the later shows, Farooq Qaiser also started a segment called “Hashar Nashar” in which he would dub english mivie clips into Punjabi & Urdu – hillarious stuff. He even dubbed wrestling…

then there was a gora saab and a local guide… and then there was “ya mere maula, ki pay gaya rola”… and before this there was “oye maasi teri khala, maasi teri phuphi”…

I wonder why dont they make programs like these anymore on PTV.

27. Zeeshan says:
    January 28th, 2007 2:02 pm

lol…. Hashar Nashar was fun. Gora Sb always ended the conversation by saying to local guide: ‘Oh my God, ya kaisa country hai’

I would love to see Uncle Sargam back on tv screen.

28. IM says:
    February 15th, 2007 5:34 pm

Indus TV is presenting a puppet show and they really need to learn this art from Farooq Qaiser Sb. Somebody has to tell them that their puppets are not only ugle but they dont even sound nice.

I miss Kaliaan :(

29. NOOR says:
    February 24th, 2007 4:32 pm

plz provide the many clip of “kaliya” program at any web site

30. Nadia Shahid says:
    February 27th, 2007 2:26 pm

noor, check youtube.come for kaliaan clips. there are so many there.

excellent post.

31. March 7th, 2007 6:10 pm

Hi, I was longong for an opportunity to talk something about “Kaliyan” “Angan teda” “Anwar Maqsood” or “Farooq Quaiser” or some Pakistani drama stuff.

I am from India and belong from Jammu & Kashmir and when i was kid i used to see this (infact i say i am lucky to see this wonderful stuff), then after sometime PTV was prohibited in that part of India and after sometime i shifted to London but still had bug and a sweet memory in mind for this. And when i came here in London then i had sufficient money and ways to buy them (thanx to internet) and now i have whole collection of “Anwar Maqsood” “Farooq Quaier”. And i really find no words to praise for this Excellent stuff they have produced. (other dramas are also wonderful and i do have those too) but especially Farooq Quaser and Anwar Maqsood who tried to say serious things in a humourous and class manner. Its just Fantastic. You won’t believe that me and my wife ( she also has too much interest in Pakistani tv old dramas) almost every month repedetely see “angan teda” and i think have seen more than 30 times till now. Its the best hurmorous comedy In the World and should be shown on the world screen really. aliyan” has a special thing that it reminds me the best time in life that is childhood. Re

I really pity on todays generation which is creating Techno childs who are playing with computer games and movies and etc. I think that time, that era was fantastic and now really nothing has left except those sweet memories.
    I, being from India, don’t have much access to your drama stuff cuz in India its hard to find your stuff, here in London also i could find it from Internet.

But still, i wish to know and read much about “farooq quaiser” Anwar Maqsood” and “Bushra Ansari” and “Moin Akthar” and really wish to write to them or to talk to them, or to know about there stuff more and more.
    So if anyone of you reads this and could feel this please guide me that from where i could get them.
    my e-mail ID is dattushah@rediffmail.com
    thanx

32. Rabiya says:
    May 27th, 2007 1:21 am

AMEN! TO EVERY SINGLE WORD YOU SAID
    I wasn’t ever brought up in Pakiland but we used to get Paki channels and Uncle Sargam just rocked!
    with his humble voice omg!
    hehehe.

33. bananafish says:
    August 12th, 2007 3:38 am

Is Uncle Sargam based on Groucho Marx? One of the Marx Brothers? His moustache, nose, eyebrows and glasses all remind me of Groucho Marx.

Does anyone else see that similarity?

34. Mehran says:
    August 23rd, 2007 8:05 am

Asalam o Alaikum!
    I saw this artcile a few months ago after trying to search for Kalian but now I have bought the DVD.

And Man!it is so cool.I love everymiute of it specially as now I am well aware of the issues of life and the way they were protrayed by Farroq Qaisar.

“Haiga” is amazing ending everything with Haiga.
    “Sawa Lakh”Bari with is Shareef addition to every word.
    “Noomi”with Kar Lain jo Kalna Hai.

Amazing.I love it and I am proud to be part of the country and society which made this program.

Amazing and simply brilliant.

Best of luck to all.By the way I am not that old as you guys as I never saw Kalia in my life,it was only that I saw Kalian Plus in the year 2004 on TV that I started liking Uncle Sragam.

ALLAH HAFIZ.

35. Farooq Qaiser says:
    October 16th, 2007 7:16 am

Hello everybody. I am Farooq Qaiser, the Uncle Sargam. I have read all the comments written about me and about Kaliyan. I would like to correct some of information given by different viewers. The program Kaiyan was started in 1976 from PTV Islamabad Centre. Got a special award from Germany in 1978. The first puppet was Uncle Sargam. I trained boys & girls the art of puppet manipulation. Among those who became famous are, Rashid Khan (Haiga) Bushra Ansari (Sharmilee) Babar Niazi (Sawalakh & Had Haram)) Nusrat Iqbal (Rolla) and Anjum Habibi ( Bonga). The first spell of Kaliyan was ended in 1980 and was restarted in 1990. There are many lyrics written by me for film & Tv. Among them

36. Imran says:
    December 4th, 2007 6:00 am

Before Geo could have started Kalian on its network, it has become history. Farooq Qaiser should be given a dedicated channel for his puppet shows. It will be a great for education and learning for children in Pakistan.

37. Saad Zahur Khan says:
    December 23rd, 2007 2:06 pm

How wonderful to read all these comments and posts about one of the most revolutionary and trend setting programs in the history of PTV in particular and television in Pakistan in general. Kaliyan was a wonderfully done program; the only program that we as children used to look forward to all week. Uncle Sargam, Haiga, Maasi Museebte (Way nama neema), Noni Pa (Kal lo jo kalna aay), Hudd Haraam (Noni’s dog), Chacha Connection, Chay Aanay Paa, Sawa Lakh, Sharmeelee were some of the first/original characters of the show when it started around 1976. And yes, as someone rightly mentioned, cut-outs of Kaliyan characters could be found in Barq washing powder….the jingle went like:

Niya Barq Aaya, Niya Barq Laya
    Nayay rang roop nayay bulbulay…
    Khull kar chamkay,
    Barq se Kapray, Barq se Kapray…

And I think there were also cheeky fill-ins by the Kaliyan characters built into the barq jingle!

The best item I ever remember from Kaliyan was around 1978-79. It was done by Uncle Sargam himself. It went like:

All hair on my tind
    Have gone, with the wind
    Meray sar pay thay jo baal
    Urr ga’ay, hawa de naal

Then there was another one:

Twinkle twinkle TV star
    Ankle Sargam super star
    Dont you wonder you are super star
    Yes you are super star….

Chay aanay paa baee chay aanay paa
    Uncle sargam chay aanay paa…
    Dont you wonder you are super star
    Yes you are super star….

In one of the later series, there was a very funny character: a cab driver who did not have ears and used to drive his cab with a signature “pip pip, peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen”!!

Wow!! What lovely childhood memories….. I feel our kids are unfortunately deprived of good quality programs. However, it is heartening to read directly from Mr. Farooq Qaisar that Kaliyan is going to be on again on Geo….now that Geo is on again, I think we should keep our fingers crossed for some good entertaining stuff for our children too…!

Well done Mr. Farooq Qaisar; you deserve all the praise!! Keep up the great work…!

38. JellyBean says:
    January 13th, 2008 2:21 pm

Wow. Tis brought back so many childhood memories. Loved it.

@Saad Zahur Khan: Kia yaad kara dia dude!

@Farooq Qaiser Sir: if you are reading this pls tell us when you will be on Geo? I am really looking forward for Kaliyaan to be back.

39. Farooq Qaiser says:
    January 17th, 2008 5:13 am

We recorded the first program (relauching Kaliyan) in October 2007. Unfortunately the emergency was imposed and Geo’s channels were suspended. The program will soon be on air (Insha Allah) after the Geo resumes on cable.

40. DURRY says:
    January 25th, 2008 6:02 pm

I NEED POETTRY OF RASHID MATEEN WHICH IS PLAY ON PTV IN OCT OR NOV 2007 AND ITS TITLE IS “UDAS”…..PLZ SEND ME THIS …THANX

41. Aamir Syed Mohammad says:
    February 18th, 2008 1:55 am

AssalamuAlkium Farooq uncle.

I had privelged to be your next door neighbor for many years in F-8/1 Islamabad. Today, my 10 year old son came to me and asked about a puppet named “Uncle Sargam”. He was watching Geo and the character showed up during the election programme. His mother informed him that the creator of this funny looking character was your Abbu’s neighbor. Suddenly, my train of thoughts took me quarter of a century back! I started scanning the web and found your own comments! It is hard to express my emotions mixture of loving memories and sheer joy! I am so glad you are still active with your work and creations. May Allah give you a long life, so our new generations living anywhere in the world would be benefitted with your genious.

I remember you had two kids: Son “Noni pa” and a daughter. Please do write back with some detail about your family. Wish the very best.

With Profound regards,
    Aamir Syed Mohammad
    USA

42. Yasir Hasan says:
    February 19th, 2008 10:38 am

Hi All,
    I need picture of Rola. It is not available on Internet. If someone has it kindly forward it to my address
    its yasirhasan@gmail.com

Thanks
    Yasir

43. Farooq Qaiser says:
    March 13th, 2008 6:20 am

Dear Aamir,
    Thank you for remembering me. I think we met last time at PIA boarding counter Islamabad. I have three chidlren. Ali (Noni) and Shan (daughter) are in USA. Maryam (daughter) lives in Islamabad. I am glad that Kaliyan has entered into the third generation. I am in a process to launch Sargam TV with GEO. Hope your son would be pleased with you to watch it.
    What about your parents? Are they living in the same house?
    With love,
    Farooq Qaisar

44. Saher says:
    March 15th, 2008 7:51 am

OMGGG! Farooq uncle is that really you :|:| wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! i watched the Geo election transmission, where you said about Sargam Tv, i literally thought that you were just doing makhaul :P hehe… sargam uncle we are desperately waiting for your come back, cant ask for MORE! :D:D
    Sargam Uncle Zindabad! :D

45. MS says:
    March 21st, 2008 8:41 pm

Im a big fan of this show, I liked the way this programme ued irony and comedy to show that it doesn’t have to be filty like the punjabi stage dramas in order to be funny. The old Kaliyan had a Pakistani nationalist approach behinde it. I hope it carries on whth the same approach and doesn’t get sucked in to modern enlightement cultur that has destroyed Pakistani Nationalism so much that Salwar Qamees and Urdu has almost died out.

Finally does any one know where I can get hold of the old series, I live in UK.

46. Mrs. Nasim Riaz says:
    April 3rd, 2008 6:02 pm

Assalamualeikum,

Dear brother Farooq! We are always in contact with you through television programmes and we were very happy to see your interview. I would like to introduce myself as a colleague of your wife in Islamabad working at Model School for girls. We met when you were here in Norway many years back.

I hope you can get back to me on my email as I need to discuss an important matter with you and your wife.

Hope you are having a good time back in Islamabad. My sincere regards to Najma and love to your children.

Wassalam

Nasim Riaz

47. Farooq Qaisar says:
    April 5th, 2008 6:07 am

Dear MS Nasim Riaz,
    Thanks for remembering me. My email address is: unclesargam@yahoo.com. Najam is very happy to read your messege.
    With great regards.
    Farooq Qaisar

48. Shakeel Ahmad says:
    April 30th, 2008 4:27 pm

Hi Farooq sahib

I used to read your poetry online but now I cant find it anywhere. Please can you give me a link where I can find your poetry. I am a big fan of your nice poetry. It really touches hearts.

Thanks

49. Memoona says:
    June 18th, 2008 9:56 am

Nice memories. I recently saw Uncle Sargam on Nadia Khan Show and it was great fun! I haven’t heard anything about re-starting Kaliyan on Geo. Looks like they have dumped the idea.

Thank you for writing this.

50. October 20th, 2008 1:54 am

Finally Geo Tv is bringing Uncle Sargam back. Sargam TV is starting from coming Friday at 19:30 Pakistan time.

I can’t wait to see Farooq Sahab and my favorite Uncle Sargam back on screen.

51. Sargam fan says:
    October 22nd, 2008 8:57 pm

good to know that they are bringing it back… woudl love to see those shows again

52. Atif Kiyani says:
    November 26th, 2008 2:43 pm

nice article. brought back so many memories. Yes, uncle sargam is back on geo and its still the same entertainment and education. I am glad that my 11 years son has finally something useful to watch on television.

Farooq Qaiser sahab is our national hero in true sense. May God give him strength to carry on educating our future generations.

53. Amna Ikranullah says:
    January 20th, 2009 2:25 pm

Yes, Uncle Sargum is back but its not the same. For some reason Sargum TV doesn’t have that appeal anymore. Sargum from 80s and 90s out of the world thing. Or may be its me?

Its nice to see people remembering Uncle though.

54. July 18th, 2009 8:07 am

I want to download maximum episodes of famous comedy serial Uncle Sargam.Could anybody tell me how can I do that.Any active links please….

55. Waseem Sajjad Malik says:
    September 9th, 2009 2:36 am

I want to see AIK MINUTE written by Mr. Farooq Qaiser which reminds me my childhood.

56. sara shahab says:
    June 22nd, 2010 4:13 am

Dil Dil Pakistan Tha Bill Bill Pakistan Hai
    Uncle Sargam and Co are back after decades of absence! Can you believe it! This brings back memories of the good old days when I was younger and the highlight of my day was sitting in front of the TV with my family laughing at Kaliyaan. Well friends, I just wanted to let you all out there know that you can relive your younger moments again like I have because Dawn News have brought them back with Siyasi Kaliyaan Every Saturday at 8:05pm and Sunday at 12:05 pm. Judging from the first few episodes that have aired, they are back and better than ever!