Posted on September 10, 2007
Filed Under >Darwaish, Books, History, People, Women

Darwaish

Last week, while surfing though flickr, I came across a wonderful collection of mostly black & white photos by Dr. Ghulam Nabi Kazi. His collection has a major section Plain Mr. Jinnah dedicated to Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah’s rare photographs and some of his personal letters that not many people have ever read. Dr. Kazi is doing a great service by preserving all those historic photographs and letters for us and uploading them on flickr for public viewing. The one that I found most interesting, and which made me write this post, was the last letter written by Ruttenbai “Ruttie” Petit to her husband “J”, as she used to call him. Ruttie was given an Islamic name Mariam when she converted to Islam and married Jinnah in 1918. Ruttie originally wrote this letter in Paris on October 5, 1928 but re-wrote it in Marseilles and posted it from there. The letter is beautifully written and gives you some idea of marriage and personal life of Jinnah. For ATP reader’s interest, a typed text of the letter has also been included in this post.

S. S. Rajputana,
Marseilles 5 Oct 1928

Darling thank you for all you have done. If ever in my bearing your once tuned senses found any irritability or unkindness, be assured that in my heart there was place only for a great tenderness and a greater pain -a pain my love without hurt. When one has been as near to the reality of Life (which after all is Death) as I have been dearest, one only remembers the beautiful and tender moments and all the rest becomes a half veiled mist of unrealities. Try and remember me beloved as the flower you plucked and not the flower you tread upon.

I have suffered much sweetheart because I have loved much. The measure of my agony has been in accord to the measure of my love.

Darling I love you, I love you – and had I loved you just a little less I might have remained with you only after one has created a very beautiful blossom one does not drag it through the mire. The higher you set your ideal the lower it falls.

I have loved you my darling as it is given to few men to be loved. I only beseech you that the tragedy which commenced in love should also end with it.

Darling Goodnight and Goodbye

Ruttie

I had written to you at Paris with the intention of posting the letter here but I felt that I would rather write to you afresh from the fullness of my heart. R.

Even today, not much is known about Jinnah’s personal life although a great deal has been written about his vision, politics and his role as a founder of nation. Like how many of you know that when he was a law student in London, he regularly did theatre and seriously considered acting as a profession. There are many reasons that not much is known about his life other than politics and Pakistan movement. He wrote little, and what he wrote was formal and a matter of fact. He wrote no autobiography or diary probably because he never had time to do so. He was reserved, taciturn and secretive. He wrote his will in May, 1939, but it was after his death that Liaqat Ali Khan, his close associate and first Prime Minister of Pakistan, came to know that he was its trustee and executor. ATP readers can take a look at Jinnah’s will here and I can tell you that many of you will find it very interesting. Although Prof. Akbar Ahmed’s movie Jinnah tried, to some extent, throw some light on Jinnah’s personal life but 15-20 minutes is no where near enough. His marriage with the most beautiful girl of Bombay – Ruttie: The Flower of Bombay – was like a fairy tale. A separate movie can be made on Jinnah’s pre 1940 life and I can assure you, if made properly, it will do serious business.

Dina Wadia (Jinnah’s daughter) has hardly spoken about her father in public. I know of a few books which are specifically about the personal life of Ruttie Jinnah and her relationship with her husband. These books give us some insight of Jinnah’s personal life. One of them is Ruttie Jinnah: The Story, Told and Untold by Khwaja Razi Haider. The book was originally published in Urdu but later Khwaja Sahab also translated it into English for the international audience. M C Chagla’s book, Roses in December also had a few chapters about Jinnah and Ruttie Jinnah. Chagla knew the couple very well as he assisted Jinnah at his chambers during those days and he later became Chief Justice of Bombay High Court and then an Indian diplomat at UN. He idealized Jinnah but severed all ties when he began working on the idea of independent state for Muslims. The book is also interesting because it help you understand a different viewpoint shared by many Muslims in India too. Chagla writes about Ruttie and Jinnah:

By 1927, Ruttie and Jinnah had virtually separated. Ruttie’s health deteriorated rapidly in the years after they returned from their final trip together. Ruttie lived at the Taj Hotel in Bombay, almost a recluse as she became more and more bed-ridden.Kanji continued to be her constant companion. By February 18, 1929 she had become so weak that all she could manage to say to him was a request to look after her cats.

Two days later, Ruttie Petit Jinnah died. It was her 29th birthday.

She was buried on February 22 in Bombay according to Muslim rites. Jinnah sat like a statue throughout the funeral but when asked to throw earth on the grave, he broke down and wept. That was the only time when I found Jinnah betraying some shadow of human weakness. It’s not a well publicised fact that as a young student in England it had been one of Jinnah’s dreams to play Romeo at The Globe. It is a strange twist of fate that a love story that started like a fairy tale ended as a haunting tragedy to rival any of Shakespeare’s dramas.”

But the one I found more detailed is the book Ruttie Jinnah: The story of a great friendship written by Ruttie’s closest friend Kanji Dwarkadas who was also looking after her when she fell seriously ill during her last days.Jinnah was a very private person and he hardly showed emotions but he is known to have cried twice in public. One of the occasion was the funeral of his beloved wife Ruttie in 1929 and the other one in August 1947, when he visited her grave one last time before leaving for Pakistan. Jinnah left India in August 1947, never to return again, but he left behind a piece of his heart in a little grave in a cemetery in Bombay.

89 Comments on “A Look at the Personal Life of Jinnah: Ruttie Jinnah’s last letter to her husband”

1. Adnan Ahmad says:
    September 11th, 2007 12:07 am

Superlative post! Her letter is poetry. What else can I say.

To quote from my all time favorite movie “dead poet’s society,” [words] roll off of her [pen] like poetry.

2. Adonis says:
    September 11th, 2007 3:17 am

16 was the legal age of civil marriage at the time with the consent of parents. 18 as the age of civil marriage without the consent of parents. The marriage happened at the age of 18.

3. Syed Ahsan Ali says:
    September 11th, 2007 3:22 am

I was about to cry when I read the post. It is s0 informative, insightful and interesting. But I literally started to cry when I read the comments of Alam and someone. What happened to us? When would we start respecting someone? If we can’t pay homage to the founder of the country then kindly do not post such comments. What if some foreigner read these comments? I really feel ashamed of myself as a Pakistani when I read such abusive remarks about personalities who sacrifice everything for this country. Toady we are caught amongst Benazir, Nawaz, Altaf and Musharraf because we insult our true leaders. I have no doubt in mind that we are condemned to live the life what we are living at the moment because we think like weirdos about Jinnah and Iqbal .

4. Farzana says:
    September 11th, 2007 4:39 am

16-20 was a common age of getting married that time and its no big deal. My grandfather was 38 when he married my grandmother who was 19 at that time. Jinnah didn’t marry Ruttie until she was 18 and left home. The more you read, the more you are mesmerized by their fairy tale marriage. Lets celebrate this great love story which, unfortunately ended in a tragedy. Quaid live in the hearts of millions of Pakistanis and there is no need to be upset on these kind of comments.

About the post, I have always been interested in Jinnah’s personal life and his fairy tale marriage. I was deeply moved after reading the excerpts from Chagla’s book describing Ruttie Jinnah’s funeral. Thank you for writing such a wonderful article on the human side of a great leader. I have added the books you mention in my shopping list. Like Adnan wrote, Ruttie’s letter is poetry, absolutely beautiful.

5. Dr Ghulam Nabi Kazi says:
    September 11th, 2007 5:01 am

Yes, the fact that despite his best efforts to act normal and discuss Indian politics with friends, Mr Jinnah’s reserves gave way at Ruttie’s funeral, and he wept like a child when throwing the dust on the grave. This has been documented in several places and G Allana summed it up nicely while describing it as the first and last display of emotions in public, “Lonely and embittered he consecrated his life to the service of Muslims”.

An equally pathetic narrative comes in Saadat Hasan Manto’s ‘Ganje Farishtey’ or The Bald Angels based on an interview with film actor Azad who acted as a driver of Mr Jinnah. The interview went thus:

“You know servants in a household come to know everything. Sometimes in the dead of night, the Sahib would order a wooden chest to be brought and opened in the dead of night, which contained the clothes and other belongings of his dead wife and daughter. He would look intently at these articles. Then his eye would moisten — “

I am quoting these lines just to show that Ruttie Jinnah’s story was not one of unrequited love. Thanks for a lovely post.

6. MQ says:
    September 11th, 2007 7:34 am

A poignant story. A story that many Pakistanis don’t know about — and many wouldn’t us to know about.

7. Masood Afridi says:
    September 11th, 2007 7:53 am

wonderful post. the marraige ended tragicaly but Ruttie Bai was a phenomnal person of great intellect. But we know very little about her or this wonderful love story.

8. Deewana Aik says:
    September 11th, 2007 8:13 am

“Last week, while surfing though flickr, I came across a wonderful collection of mostly black & white photos by Dr. Ghulam Nabi Kazi. ”

Yes, I too was amazed and wondered where Dr Sahib got hold of this wonderful collection of historical pieces. I think ATP should also add a Photo Gallery section tro collect such gems.

9. MQ says:
    September 11th, 2007 8:21 am

A poignant story. A story that many Pakistanis don

10. Daniyal says:
    September 11th, 2007 8:46 am

A beautiful post – thank you so much! flickr is banned in the UAE so it would be fantastic if we could see Dr Kazi’s collection on ATP.

11. Adnan Ahmad says:
    September 11th, 2007 9:09 am

Quote above: [words] roll off of her [pen] like honey.

More must be written about these two.

12. Ash says:
    September 11th, 2007 9:23 am

Sheer beauty and sheer poetry, a true reflection of true love.Each and every word touched my heart. It couldn’t be more sweeter than this. Thanks for sharing.

13. Dr Ghulam Nabi Kazi says:
    September 11th, 2007 10:06 am

Actually in 1976 I wrote to Dawn that we should have an official biography of her and she should be declared a national figure. Close to thirty years later, Shagufta Yasmeen and Khwaja Razi Haider both of whom I met in the Quaid-i-Azam Academy under Prof Shariful Mujahid have come up with good books. Admittedly they are slim but I can imagine the difficulty they must have undergone to get even that much material. The letter is poignant indeed; there are at least half a dozen mature adults I know who could not sleep after reading it. Shows the power of simple but elegant English!

14. Mariam S says:
    September 11th, 2007 11:21 am

What a wonderful post. Thank you so much. It touched my heart too and made me cry. I am so glad that finally we are accepting the fact that Jinnah was a human being too and writing about it. I remember our history books presented every leader as they were a god with typical things about them. Please write more of this kind of articles. I wish our film industry was a bit more developed. This is such a beautiful love story and could have been an instant box office HIT.

I also want to thank Dr. Ghulam Nabi Kazi for making public some of the rare photographs of Jinnah and other Pakistani leaders. I hope Dr. Kazi shares more on this.

15. Dr Ghulam Nabi Kazi says:
    September 11th, 2007 12:59 pm

There is an interesting incident about Ruttie. Once Mrs Sarojini Naidu, who herself was apparently infatuated with Jinnah, and later became Governor of UP, took Ruttie to Mrs Harker. An Irishwoman, Mrs Harker was a clairovoyant possessed of second sight. She looked into her crystal ball, took Mrs Naidu aside and said, “I see a ddreadful sight before my eyes. I see this beautiful child dead on her 29th birthday”. That is exactly what happened – Ruttie passed away on 20 February 1929.

Sir Dinshaw Petit called Mr Jinnah to tell him that Ruttie was seriously ill. He remarked to a friend that this was the first time his father-in-law had called him since they broke up. He handed his briefs to a colleague and left for Bombay immediately. On reaching there he learnt that when the call was placed, Ruttie had already passed away.

16. Raza Rumi says:
    September 11th, 2007 2:18 pm

What a lovely post indeed. Thanks for the photographs and the beautiful letter.
    It is a sad fact that the personal lives of both Jinnah and Gandhi in the course of events became secondary during their political careers and struggles.
    Wolpert biography has quite a bit of material on this relationship. Similarly, the tragic separation of Dina and Mr Jinnah is also heart wrenching..

thanks for this post!

17. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    September 11th, 2007 2:19 pm

Ruttie Petit, my Baba’s private life I did not know, very hard to
    hide emotions, God bless her, and to Baba I can only say,
    THANK YOU FOR FREEDOM I WILL ALWAYS REMAIN
    GRATEFUL ALL MY LIFE TO YOU BABA.

18. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    September 11th, 2007 4:45 pm

Thank you Darwaish. What a touching ‘love letter’. I have ‘saved’ the letter and the pictures in my ‘personal files’. For sure I will read this letter many times over.

19. Mohan Preetam says:
    September 11th, 2007 5:52 pm

Interesting light on Jinnah’s private life. Um…many writers, past and present, have mentioned the fact that he was very outwardly unemotional, very stern, very no-nonsense. In today’s age, such a personality is almost destined for tragedy. Does anyone know why he was that way? Nature or nurture? Also, what led to the later rift between Jinnah and Ruttie? Why did Dina Wadia become estranged from her father? Can anybody shed further light on these questions?

Thanks

20. Beej Kumar says:
    September 11th, 2007 10:28 pm

This is strictly my personal opinion based on common sense. Jinnah did not really love the woman who became his wife – because if he truly loved her for who she was, he would not have made her convert to Islam. The desparate tone of her “love” letter – which should more accurately be called a note of adulation from a child-like person – further reinforces my belief that she was one woman who was truly taken advantage of!

21. Dr Ghulam Nabi Kazi says:
    September 11th, 2007 11:42 pm

After having read virtually all that has been written on Ruttie Jinnah, my impression is totally to the contrary. To my mind, Mr Jinnah was an extremely reserved person passionately in love with his wife. Every person has the right to privacy and we should respect that. It is a wonder this letter has been preserved for posterity. Similarly it is not surprising that we do not have the response to the letter. But if my understanding is correct, Mr Jinnah must have been deeply moved. Remember he risked his entire political career by walking out of the Bombay Governor’s house when Lady Willingdon was a little less than polite with Ruttie. Then the farewell reception for Willingdon was totally sabotaged by Mr and Mrs Jinnah, so much so that there was no reception was not only cancelled but the hall was named after Jinnah instead of Willingdon, and till date is known as People’s Jinnah Hall. When the Earl returned to India in 1931, this time as Viceroy his fiercest female opponent had passed away.

Jinnah was a man of very high moral values. If he had to take advantage of anyone, he could easily have leaked out some of the love letters of Edwina Mountbatten sent to his political opponent. He belonged to a different class, and was totally averse to such base human instincts.

22. YLH says:
    September 12th, 2007 1:50 am

Beej,

Having read some of what you’ve had to say else where I’d say that you are devoid of common sense.

This is also just an opinion based on common sense.

23. BJ Kumar says:
    September 12th, 2007 5:30 am

[Remember he risked his entire political career by walking out of the Bombay Governor?s house when Lady Willingdon was a little less than polite with Ruttie.]

Dr. Kazi, I do not doubt the facts that you mention (although I do not know them in detail). But remember, back in those days, insult of one’s spouse was taken very seriously as insult of one’s own self. It won’t surprise me if Mr. Jinnah reacted the way you described because of a sense of personal affront – and not out of love for Ms. Ruttie. What you say about his later sabotaging another event clearly demostrates a VERY vindictive frame of mind and not a loving one.

24. BJ Kumar says:
    September 12th, 2007 5:33 am

Note: There is some bug with the posting engine and it switches between the two versions of my name “Beej Kumar” and “BJ Kumar” – they are one and the same individual!

25. ayesha sajid says:
    September 12th, 2007 6:17 am

Its true that greatness brings with it solitude and lonliness and for those that persue higher goals , have to let go and lose a lot on personell fronts.
    There is a lot of material on Jinnah the politician and leader but I have not come across any that can give us an insight on Jinnah the husband/father.
    Gandhi, my father is an excellent attempt on the Bollywoods side to show the human side of Gandhi and perhaps a movie or a book of the sort about Jinnah would be wellcome.
    There are so many times that I read quotes from him in the paper or the television and wonder what he was like a normal human , what were his thoughts , what emotions did he go through, what were his likes and dislikes.
    It would be wonderfull to see him as one of us, as human instead of the demi god we have made out of him.

26. September 12th, 2007 6:19 am

what a unique and strangely beautiful post to come across.
    i enjoyed reading the excerpts and getting a glimpse into the much hidden and mysterious life of a very public figure.

27. YLH says:
    September 12th, 2007 6:32 am

People please let BJKumar be.

He is just pissed off that Jinnah was loved by his family members and not despised like Gandhi was.

All the Mahatmafication in the world cannot change a man’s true face which is clear only to one’s family members.

28. Dr Ghulam Nabi Kazi says:
    September 12th, 2007 7:04 am

What vindictiveness? Please get your facts right. Mr Jinnah along with his wife Ruttie jointly fought the combined force of the bureaucracy and the police. I repeat it was a joint effort to show that Lord Willingdon did not deserve the honour, which he was poised to receive. I do not think Mr Jinnah ever did some thing like this again in his life. You seem to have a mindset for understandable reasons, which nobody on earth can change. But please do not be judgmental about a person held in the highest esteem by 160 million of our countrymen, particularly when you do not seem to be familiar with the full facts and seem to have a vested interest in not seeing reason or logic.

29. Amna Akhund says:
    September 12th, 2007 7:06 am

I must have read hundreds of letters written by poets and writers but never I have never read anything like this one. The second and the third paragraphs brought tears in my eyes.

Simply beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

This should be included in the text books in Pakistan and everyone should know Jinnah was human being too. I am going to spread this letter to everyone I know and everyone I don’t know. Please everyone do the same.

30. Dr Ghulam Nabi Kazi says:
    September 12th, 2007 7:25 am

Women usually make great peace keepers! Thanks Amna for keeping the discussion on track. Yes, I think we cannot admire a person completely without seeing the blemishes. No human being is perfect. If we raise someone to a high pedestal, it becomes hero worship. On the other hand, we should not make a conscious effort to look for the blemishes. That is unfair too!

31. YLH says:
    September 12th, 2007 8:29 am

Dr. Nabi…

BJKumar is an internet troll. Forget him.

32. Tina says:
    September 12th, 2007 8:52 am

It sounds like they were poles apart in personality. Rather a shame. The letter expresses some rather commonplace sentiments, but the young woman’s suffering was very real. Obviously when she talks of being dragged through the mire, etc. she feels she has suffered something at his hands, perhaps merely emotional neglect, but still, not much of a “fairy tale marriage”, rather an ordinary one.

33. YLH says:
    September 12th, 2007 9:22 am

I find tina’s comment a bit odd. Maybe I don’t have a command over this language… but isn’t she talking about not dragging Jinnah through the mire?

If one reads “Ruttie Jinnah” by Kanji Dwarkadas, which I had the opportunity of reading in a library in the US…. the marriage was far from ordinary… Even the tragic end – Ruttie died of a very bad case of Collitis-was hardly ordinary.

Ofcourse by 1927 there were problems… Jinnah increasingly in the statesman mode… unable to give his young wife the attention she was used to… but human failings hardly make anything “ordinary”.

The remarkable story of this love affair can be the subject of a most remarkable romantic tragedy.

34. Nomi says:
    September 12th, 2007 12:42 pm

Needless to say, a truly wonderful post. I am trying to get M C Chagla\’s book but the amazon and other links you have given say that book is not available. Can someone tell me where can I buy M C Chagla and Kanji Dwarkadas books online?

35. Dr Ghulam Nabi Kazi says:
    September 12th, 2007 12:51 pm

Yes, I see Tina’s point and YLH is essentially driving at the same thing; age difference, varying interests and so on. And then you have to realize the heart-breaking letter was written only five months before her death. The two were married in 1918 and things started going awry only in 1925 or 1926. In 1926 they went to England together. In December 1927 they were together in Calcutta although things were going wrong. When in April 1928, she fainted in Paris, Dewan Chaman Lal contacted Jinnah in Dublin, who rushed there and took her to a hospital and spent most of the time with her bridging the gulf – but not all the way. Ruttie was taking painkillers including morphine to ease her pain and during Jan-Feb 1929 she was very ill. Jinnah visited her almost daily, and Ruttie was still playing the charming hostess to friends. Meanwhile Jinnah left for Delhi to attend the budget session of the Assembly. On the night of the 17th she fainted, and then again on the 19th. Before passing out she called Kanji Dwarkadas who tried to take her out of depression, fairly suceeded and before leaving said that he would come again the next day to which Ruttie replied, “If I am alive. Look after my cats and don’t give them away”. Those were the last words she spoke to Kanji, who returned later in the night to check on her but had to go home because he had not slept for two nights. The next day he learnt that she was unconscious and rushed there but Ruttie had passed away. It was 20 February 1929 – her 29th birthday and Mrs Harker’s prediction made in 1919 had proved correct. All the rest is history!

36. Beej Kumar says:
    September 12th, 2007 10:05 pm

And Dr. Kazi,

There is absolutely no intention on my part to belittle HER love for him – even though it may have been naive.

I am from that part of the world where people make bhagwan out of a piece of stone and love it more than life!

We call such things Patthar ke Dewta!

What we often forget that such Patthar ke Dewta also carry a heart of stone. :( :(

37. Saadia says:
    September 13th, 2007 6:40 am

Jinnah wanted to be a professional actor and Romeo was his favorite character? Never before I knew that. I am so pleasantly surprised to read this article.

I am saddened by to know about Ruttie and Jinnah. I am also wondering how Jinnah would have felt about today’s Pakistan. His sacrifice is worth it? I just wonder.

38. Dr Ghulam Nabi Kazi says:
    September 14th, 2007 5:57 am

Nomi, essentially Chagla’s conclusion is as follows:

“I must say in fairness to Jinnah that no husband could have treated his wife more generously than he did. He treated her wonderfully well and paid without a murmur all the bills which were necessitated by the luxurious life she led”

39. Tina says:
    September 14th, 2007 9:35 am

I should have clarified–I meant an ordinary marriage in terms of what usually happens when much older, busy men marry teenage girls. He was her whole life, but she was only a small part of his, and he sounds emotionally witholding to the nth degree as well. Well, what else was to be expected? He should have sought an intelligent woman in his own age group, an equal partner with whom he could discuss matters. But very few men actually do that. It’s youthful beauty first, and only afterwards do the consequences make themselves felt.

40. Dr Ghulam Nabi Kazi says:
    September 14th, 2007 1:05 pm

Tina the way I see it, he was so aloof, reserved, dispassionate, without a whisper of gossip about his private life. Suddenly he goes on vacation with Sir Dinshaw Petit’s family, Ruttie is infatuated with him and he follows suit. After all love is blind and perhaps a little deaf too. Even for ordinary mortals like us it is hard to plan out our life, which unfortunately is not like a tape recorder where you can erase your mistakes. And then life is full of surprises!

Goethe sums it up nicely, “The coursers of time, lashed by invisible spirits hurry on the light little car of our Destiny: and all we can do is to sit in self-possession to hold the reins with a firm hand, guide the horses and the wheels now to the left, now to the right, avoid a stone here and a precipice there. Whither it is hurrying who can tell! And who indeed can remember the point from where it started”.

41. YLH says:
    September 15th, 2007 2:54 am

Yes Jinnah was passionate about the theatre apparently… especially Shakespeare … who he read always to relax. As a student he had a stint as Romeo on stage.

Amazing that I found out recently that our hero Imran Khan also had his stint on the stage in the play “Twelth Night” in early 1971 (before he got selected to play for Pakistan) ….

And Imran Khan married Jemima who was 21 years his junior … like Jinnah who married Ruttie who was 21 years his junior.

42. Ali Rizvi says:
    September 15th, 2007 4:52 am

Mr. YLH, you are not saying that Imran Khan is trying to copy Jinnah? (a copy-cat) :)

There can’t be a comparrision between Jinnah and Imran Khan as Jinnah was a man of principles and he succeeded in everything he did. Khan lost miserably in first election he fought and is not expected to do well in future too. Like it or not.

But there are some similarities between Imran and Jinnah BUT I really don’t see how he can be successful in Pakistani politics considering our political environment and culture. I find it really strange that almost everyone I talk to tell me that s/he has voted in past and will vote for Imran Khan in future BUT somehow he is unable to convert all that support into votes and NA seats.

43. YLH says:
    September 15th, 2007 10:31 am

I think Imran Khan is a man of principles too… however there is obviously no comparison with the class and charisma of Mr. Jinnah.

44. Wajahat Sheikh says:
    September 16th, 2007 4:12 pm

Excellent article :). I saw Dina Wadia at Mazar-e-Quaid when she visited Pakistan with her son and grandson and you know what, she looks exactly like her father. She is in her 90s and I don’t think she has much time left. Geo, ARY or Aaj should try and convince her to provide insight on her father’s life. Perhaps Dr. Shahid Masood or Talat Hussain are the best people for this job.

Imran Khan is no way near whatQuaid was but he might do OK in coming elections, that is IF elections are held.

45. SK says:
    September 17th, 2007 3:07 pm

Did I hear Imran Khan vs Jinnah. What a joke that is. How can you guys even think of this?

Coming back to the topic, is there a book with all the letter of Mr. Jinnah? I am particularly interested in the letters exchanged between Jinnah and Gandhi. thanks.

46. Bundagi says:
    September 18th, 2007 10:22 am

this was a beautiful post…i just wish all the pakistnis could learn about this…not just the bitterness and the struggles…great job…plz keep on posting more info like this…

47. YLH says:
    September 19th, 2007 5:23 am

“Quaid’s correspondence” published by S. Sharifuddin Pirzada has the complete correspondence between Jinnah and Gandhi.

48. Nadia Mahmud says:
    September 20th, 2007 6:14 pm

I have always been curious about the life of Jinnah.He did so much for the country but we know so little about him.Hope we can keep coming out with more articles that show us the real man behind the facade.

49. Kashif says:
    September 27th, 2007 5:17 pm

The letters brought tears in my eyes! I wish we can find out more about the personal life of Father of the Nation. Why don’t Geo and other media giants spend some little money on preparing documentaries on these kind of issues.

Wonderful article!

50. Humaira Khan says:
    November 13th, 2007 2:32 pm

i have stumbled upon this site while researching for a report for a frend…and every thing here has litrally left me speechless….i know most of the people here are much much older and educated than i am but all i can say is that i want to be a part of this…the letter by ruttie is simply beautiful…i have always (wrongly) accused her of being very selfish in her luv for Jinnah saab but this letter is an eye opener….

51. Anand says:
    November 26th, 2007 8:50 am

Thank you for the post. I am searching on Mr Jinnah and i am in awe to know the great things Sarojini Naidu has to say about Jinnah. Unfortunately Muslims and Hindus of both India and Pakistan are so fundamentalists and what worse in the name of their leaders Jinnah and Gandhi who themselves are so secular and Humane. I wish Majority agree and appreciate the fact that Jinnah is actually secular as any other great leaders with due respects to creation of Pakistan. It is very important for Indians to know and it is equally important for Pakistanis to say frankly that Quaid-e-asam was a Secular leader so that most enemity just vanishes. Thanks for the blog.

52. shakeela says:
    December 9th, 2007 7:21 pm

I recently read this letter by Ruttie Jinnah and was amazed by it. The letter itself portrays a picture of emotion, effection, passion, beauty and hurt of betrayal, there is alot more in this letter than meets the eyes. However Mr Jinnah would have had the ability of understanding Ruttie’s feelings, that maybe we will never recognise or feel from this letter. I was delighted to be able to share this part of history that was of their personal right. May Allah Bless Both Of Them With Heaven. Amin.

53. KALEEM says:
    December 13th, 2007 2:47 am

I JUST LIKE TO SAY THAT MR JINNAH WAS A MAN OF PRINCIPLES. HE NEVER EVER COMPRISE ON IT …………….

54. Zahid says:
    December 25th, 2007 10:15 am

Happy Birthday Quaid-i-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah! Pakistan desperately needs another Jinnah.

55. Ayesha says:
    February 1st, 2008 2:31 pm

Mr. Jinnah must have wrote his wife back. Does anyone has any letter written by Mr. Jinnah to her wife?

Tragic end of a fairy tale story indeed.

56. Idrees Malik says:
    March 1st, 2008 6:56 am

Thank for this wonderful article. I never knew about this aspect of Qauid i Azam’s persona life.

Dr. Kazi has amazing historical collection. Here is something which summarizes the married life of Qauid.

57. Imtiaz Alam Sheikh says:
    April 4th, 2008 9:15 am

A truly wonderful story. Thank you for sharing this.

58. Shveta says:
    April 10th, 2008 7:30 am

Hey guys, this charming lady Ruttie has almost haunted me since years, I’ve always thought of what emotions she must gave gone through, it must have been like a roller coaster of emotions to be married to Jinnah.
    I am thinking of writing a fictional piece based on them..can someone tell me where can I get some more information ? Is anybody from Kanji Dwarkadas’s family yet there….I presume they will be having some material some more information om Ruttie other then what’s online.
    Cheers

59. Raunaq Rao says:
    April 19th, 2008 5:19 am

Its rather tragic, i must say that a fine gentleman like that of Jinnah was so misunderstood, not just among his family, his friends, his colleagues, his juniors or even his countrymen. He was betrayed by his ideals, that he held so close to his heart. He was neither a muslim, nor did he belong to any faith, he was himself at all times. I raise my hat to him for what he was and what he chose to do in life. He never mortgaged himself to anything, ever. And so he lives forever.

60. Aymen Muzaffar says:
    May 24th, 2008 6:53 am

A truly wonderful article. Surely, Jinnah must have replied these letters? May be somebody should ask Dina Wadia and get the letters and other historical documents. People of Pakistan deserve to know Jinnah better.

Thank you for sharing this!

61. Mahrukh says:
    June 6th, 2008 6:32 am

I recently visited Qaid-e-Azam’s mazaar, and the museum below. It was a great experience, and since then I’ve been thinking about his family life, his wife, his daughter, how he was. Thank you so much for this information and a closer look at Ruttie. They were an extra-ordinary couple indeed.

Thank you!

62. Rema Pandit says:
    June 8th, 2008 2:49 pm

Beautiful letters indeed. It is unfortunate that Mr. Jinnah has always been misunderstood in India just like there is a stereotype image of Gandhi in Pakistan.

Knowing better can help us understand what lead to partition and perhaps we can learn to co-exist.

Rema Pandit
    UP

63. Sehr Gul says:
    June 27th, 2008 12:41 pm

Has government of Pakistan ever contacted Dina Wadi (or Jinnah) to collect historic documents and photographs of Qauid-e-Azam? Everything possible should be made public for people of Pakistan. I think we deserve to know our founder a lot than we do now.

I am also fascinated by the Jinnah House in Mumbai where the couple lived. Government of Pakistan should take it over and convert into Jinnah Museum.

64. Kamran Alvi says:
    October 12th, 2008 4:19 pm

What an excellent article indeed. ATP should write more on these topics rather than silly political rant which serves no particular purpose.

Jinnah was a man of great dignity and much more needs to be written on his life.

65. Shahabuddin Ahmad (Dhaka) says:
    November 23rd, 2008 7:00 am

Moving article. Jinnah is still widely respected and loved in Bangladesh which was the hub of most activities of Pakistan movement. Unfortunately, Jinnah died too soon and after that the elite in West Pakistan forced East Pakistan to become Bangladesh.

Regards
    Shahabuddin Ahmad
    Dhaka

66. laidback says:
    November 26th, 2008 7:58 am

tht was very beautiful..

67. Hamid Mir says:
    December 1st, 2008 2:12 am

Keep up Good Work & God bless You all.

68. nina qureshi says:
    December 20th, 2008 12:17 pm

I am curious about Jinnah’s family.What were the family dynamics like?Jinnah had an extremely overbearing sister-Fatima.She probably did not make life easy for Ruttie.In most photos,Fatima is all over her Jinnah like a bad rash.Seems like Ruttie was no match for her evil sister-in-law.I would’nt doubt it if Jinnah’s family made Ruttie sorry she was born.Her letter is indicative of a tormented soul-poor thing.

69. Abdul Rafay says:
    January 9th, 2009 10:49 am

Really moved, was just moving through pages to find some information on the personal life of Jinnah and thats hats off, the letter and will definitely go through the books as well…

keep up the good work…
    Regards

70. MuhammaD AriF KhaN says:
    March 11th, 2009 3:14 pm

I AM CURIOUS WITH JINNAH FAMILY . SUCH AS “FATIMAH JINNAH” SHE WAS A GOOD,BRALEINT,HONEST AND STRONG WOMEN OF THE WORLD.
    “MAY ALLAH BLESSED HIM”

71. Ashraf M. Quraishi says:
    March 12th, 2009 8:34 pm

Wonderful ATP. Keep up your good work. The letter is beautiful and you are apreciable to dig it out. But actually it is the letter of Mr. Shahabudin Ahmad (Dhaka) which cause me to write this. My heart bleeds for my Bengali muslim brothers and it make me sick that what did we do.

72. Naeem Iqbal says:
    April 9th, 2009 4:28 am

Marvelous story! Gem of a life of both Ruttie and Jinnah. Remarkable for someone who was aristocratic, brilliant, committed, determined, eloquent, firm, gallant, insightful, natural, pertinacious, resolute, savant, tireless, virtuoso ? someone who surprisingly spoke too little of himself.

Ruttie doubtless died young yearning for a man who had his work cut out for him. Jinnah must have been an indomitable self to shy away from an endearing dying wife. Poor Ruttie!

It’s a shame we know so little about Jinnah as a person than we have known him more as an icon.

73. Naeem Iqbal says:
    April 9th, 2009 4:31 am

Marvelous story! Gem of a life of both Ruttie and Jinnah. Remarkable for someone who was aristocratic, brilliant, committed, determined, eloquent, firm, gallant, insightful, natural, pertinacious, recluse but resolute, savant, tireless, virtuoso – someone who surprisingly spoke too little of himself.

74. Someone says:
    April 17th, 2009 1:57 pm

The life of Jinah was full of awe. I am speechless for their absolute love. I hope God reunite them in heaven. I can’t say much about Ruttie, but Jinah deserves more than we can imagine.

But Jinnah was more responisble for his family than the “greater good”. He gave so many things to millions of people, but was not able to hold on to the most important people in her life. Its not as easy decision for a man who did held them the dearest but neglected them for the sake of people who are a part of the “so currupted” Pakistan.

75. May 27th, 2009 5:54 am

I am so lucky to know Dr Kazi and be in his good company for the last few months. Words always be fail me, and so I wish to find an expression better than a phrase to record my opinion and feelings about him and the good work he is doing. The collection together with his generosity to share are incomparable treasure indeed. During the current times it is hard to find someone so well catalogued and dedicated too! Those who know him personally, cherish the vividness of his memoirs. His ubiquitous narrative of the History is as crisp as it is glowing. Coming back to the story: Very touching indeed! A lump grew up in my throat as I read these lines from the accounts of Jinnahs’ personal life and pitied him for his restraints that would not let him even cry.

76. ANON says:
    September 10th, 2009 8:38 pm

Untold history at its best.

77. r.ali says:
    October 4th, 2009 2:14 am

We as pakistanis should always be thankful to the country Jinnah gave to us

78. M Irfan says:
    October 15th, 2009 5:45 pm

i LOVE THIS BLOG.EXTREMISTS SHOULD READ HOW LOVING WAS THE LIFE OF GREAT PEOPLE IS…..I LOVE MY QUIDE AND HIS WIFE MARIYAM PLUS THE WAY SHE WRITES ITS REALY TOUCHING I LOVE THE WAY SHE WROTE THAT LETTER.03347950419
    DO INFORM IF HAVE ANY LINK TELLING MORE ABOUT QUIDES LIFE

79. Kamran Kamil Kureshi says:
    January 3rd, 2010 9:46 am

It is mainly the constant struggle of the true admirer’s of Jinnah in all sections of our society which continues to be the main factor responsible for our nations march towards the attainment of the great dream of the Qaid: Pakistan a nation among the greatest(Inshallah).
    May our love and admiration for the Qaid grow stronger
    each coming day and may our young and old existing Jinnah’s
    come to surface and overwhelm this nation with Unity,
    faith and discipline(Ameen).

80. Rashid Ali says:
    September 26th, 2010 1:41 am

Remarkable piece of history. We need an authentic biography of the Quied with emphasis on his personal life. All writtings are primarily on his work as a leader of Muslim League and as a politician who was a central character of independance movement.

81. Awaid Nawaz says:
    October 28th, 2010 2:55 am

With tears in my eye monitor is not very clear, so be it, I hereby devote myself to the great Quaid

82. November 7th, 2010 11:14 am

I have read full article and it’s quite fascinating an emotional as well. You have done a great job by putting this on your site, i have never read this but now i get to know about it.

83. Jawaid Islam says:
    January 23rd, 2011 10:14 am

What a love ridden letter, it shows the great emotional attachment Ruttie Jinnah had for her husband. A grea tmovie it would surely make the love story and its tragic end. Any takers! Hollywood, wake up and take note: you have a script there for a sleeper hit of the year.

84. Jeff says:
    February 16th, 2011 9:13 pm

Very beautiful letter, what a tragic end for such a sweet love story.

Greetings from India

85. AHMAD RAZA says:
    April 25th, 2011 4:40 am

what a beautiful but sad love story i was shocked after reading all these facts and felt much pity about rattan’s love and salute to great work done by M.Ali.

86. Tammy says:
    October 21st, 2014 7:22 pm

Remarkable! Its in fact awesome piece of writing, I have got much clear
    idea about from this article.

87. November 7th, 2014 7:31 pm

What’s up to every one, the contents present at this web page are genuinely
    remarkable for people experience, well, keep up the good
    work fellows.

88. November 24th, 2014 9:10 am

VPN solutions have become more important as constant connection devices have grown smaller
    and more capable; it’s no surprise that the largest growth in the segment stems from people needing a secure way
    for their Blackberries and other smart phones to
    connect to their secure mail servers. * Load balancing – This feature will suggest a server with the least users
    once a certain location comes with multiple servers.
    Being able to use a VPN for Gibraltar isn’t something that you should pass up.

89. Teodoro says:
    December 8th, 2014 7:28 pm

Greate pieces. Keep writing such kind of info on your blog.

Im really impressed by it.
    Hi there, You’ve performed a fantastic job. I will
    definitely digg it and individually recommend to my friends.
    I am confiident they’ll be benefited from this web site.