Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/pakistaniat/public_html/wp-content/plugins/paged-comments.bak/paged-comments.php on line 31
Michael Jackson’s (1958-2009) Influence on Pakistan : ALL THINGS PAKISTAN

Michael Jackson’s (1958-2009) Influence on Pakistan

Posted on June 27, 2009
Filed Under >Adil Najam, People, Society, TV, Movies & Theatre

Like so much of Michael Jackson’s life, Michael Jackson’s death has come as a shock to so many. Including many Pakistanis who grew up to the shadows of his soundtracks.

Do you have ‘Pakistani’ memories of Michael Jackson? Do share.

I must say I have been surprised by how many ATP readers have written to me saying that we should do a post on Michael Jackson’s death. I was not, at first, sure what the ‘Pakistan connection’ was. But one was made to reconsider as one heard of the MJ memorial set up in Karachi (photos below)and it was apparent how so many were so influenced by the personage of the ‘King of Pop.’

Indeed, there was a time when – irrespective of your economic and social class – the was to be ‘tich’ was to be like Michael Jackson. From Saab ji’s son to Saab Ji’s driver’s son, if you were ‘in’ you had to be MJ: the hair, the walk, the white socks, the tight pants, the persona at large. And no stage show from Peshawar to Karachi would ever be complete without the ‘performance’ of a Michael Jackson clone.

To me, the immediate memory of the Michael Jackson influence on Pakistan is embodied in the famous Fifty-Fifty skit above. Elsewhere on this blog, I have argued that this may be the funniest comedy skit ever in the best Pakistani comedy program ever. But the point I wish to make today is different. It is a point about Michael Jackson and the deep and varied impacts he has left all over the world in so many different ways!

I must confess, I was never a Michael Jackson fan, never owned a single track of his. But there is no one who has lived in the times I have lived in who could be unaware of or uninterested in the phenomenon that was Michael Jackson. I think he led a sad life, but a life that is worth celebrating becuase it gave the joy of music to so many.

May he rest in in peace.

47 comments posted

Comment Pages: [6] 5 4 3 2 1 » Show All

1. Kashmala says:
    October 24th, 2010 8:44 am

Michael is a legend. and i always think about his life that he suffered a lot , his father used to whipped him. and whenever i think about these words i used to cry and wish for Michael that may he had a peaceful life but now he’s dead and i still wish that he should have peace in heaven. Michael discovered that his brother Jermain is converting into Islam, Michael became interested in joining him on this spiritual quest. He also did a lot of soul searching and research on changing religions. And most exciting news is that i’m also a Muslim.

2. October 23rd, 2010 7:05 pm

To all Michael Jackson Fans in Pakistan and other Asian Countries:

Please join us at http://www.michaeljacksonfanbase.com and make us the biggest fanbase for an artist in history !!
    Honour The King of Pop, our legend, Michael Jackson.
    Thank you so much !

3. Arslan says:
    January 4th, 2010 5:31 am

I listen very songs but i like Micheal’s song very much. Michael is a Excellent singer,dancer,producer,acter. Billie jean,Bad,Man in the mirror,beat it,Heal the world,u r not alone,Thriller is my all time favorite songs. Michael in Alive in our hearts. I love Michael Jackson. Michael u r my life.But Alas! my life is not with me.But u r always in my heart.

4. Shayan says:
    December 21st, 2009 2:14 pm

HE IS A TRUE KING OF POP IN THE WORLD ..
    NO ONE CAN BReaK His Records till now and forever..
    King of pop is legend .. and legend never dies..
    Regards Shayan Shaukat!!

5. Sara Khan says:
    July 6th, 2009 2:28 am

Ufone has introduced a custom made service called Ufone Music Station. You can enjoy live music, poetry, celebrity interviews and much more on Ufone’s rocking mobile radio station. You can also add songs from the music station to your playlist.
    Add this service and enjoy the ultimate music experience!!

6. July 1st, 2009 4:42 am

The iconic life and talent of Micheal Jackson did affect millions all over the world. He was one of the most known persons in the modern world like Lady Diana.His music lives on. His real life demons of prescription drugs abuse, childhood abuse and intense pressures of western showbiz life are there for all to take lesons from. See my blogpost on this topic.

7. June 30th, 2009 9:35 pm

It’s good to see he is being remembered in Karachi in such a loving way.
    Michael sparked a lot of joy and love in my heart back when I was a 4 year old kid.
    He’ll always be in my heart… he’s always been..
    condolences go out to each and every fan, his familymembers.
    lets celebrate his life