Khalid Abbas Dar: At His Brilliant Best

Posted on July 17, 2010
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Humor, People, TV, Movies & Theatre

Khalid Abbas DarAbout a year ago, I had posted one of the funniest comedy performances I have ever seenKhalid Abbas Dar and friends at the 1987 PTV Awards singing ‘Mein naeen khedna Korea dey naal.’ But I had premised it by saying that this was “not the best work of Khalid Abbas Dar” because “Khalid sahib’s all-time greatest performance is the ‘classical’ singing he does with made up words – it is side-splitting funny – originally recorded during the 1971 election transmission and recorded multiple times later.”

I had been looking for a recording of that performance ever since. Finally, I have found a version based more on ‘folk’ than a ‘classical’ sensibility (I think from one of the 1990s election transmission).

This itself may not be the best version of this performance, but it shows the versatility and command of Khalid Abbas Dar. Especially the first half where he does his singing is hilarious not for what it is, but for what Khalid Abbas Dar does with it. I stand by what I had written in my earlier piece on Khalid Abbas Dar: “for my money [he is] the most brilliant stand-up comic Pakistan has ever produced.” Do check out his hockey commentary skit once you have watched this one.

16 Comments on “Khalid Abbas Dar: At His Brilliant Best”

1. Watan Aziz says:
    July 17th, 2010 1:16 pm

The best! I do not know how he did not break into laughter himself. A mark of a true artist.

And yes, the hockey skit, can work anytime, just sub the names.

BTW, the 1970 election’s transmissions (not 1971; that was the year of debacle!) was a class act by itself. It seems we never slept. It was Ramzan, “Shadi” and “Mau’at” (death) all rolled into one event. That was the roller coaster of feelings. My household was total ZAB. Shouts of joy!

Naturally, the tally especially from EP was of most interest and concern. WP folks had bet on Bhashani to chip away the votes of Mujib for a possible collation with ZAB. Not so in the end. Even though the results were disappointing in the end, but I am sure, everyone got their money’s worth.

A side note, does anyone know if there was a live transmission in EP as well? I have never heard/read anything about it. Curious.

IFTIKHAR, Iftikhar tuo……

2. Farrukh says:
    July 17th, 2010 1:40 pm

Spectacular. Wonderful. Amazing.

I am still laughing and now my stomach hurts. What a great performance.

3. Junaid says:
    July 17th, 2010 1:47 pm

Yeh hooee na baat. laajawab!

4. Abbasi says:
    July 17th, 2010 2:05 pm

Lyrics Please!! :D

5. ASAD says:
    July 17th, 2010 2:27 pm

@Abbasi. Bhai meray, there are NO lyrics. That is the point. These are all made up words. He is just making it all up. THAT is why it is so funny. And becuase he can keep such a serious face.

You want lyrics: GIBBERISH.

6. July 17th, 2010 3:03 pm

I used to see his performance in my childhood. There is a drama, I forgot its name, he used to say word “Pia jee”
    He is a great actor, thanks for the post.

7. M. Aamir Khan says:
    July 17th, 2010 3:22 pm

Spectecular

8. Rana says:
    July 17th, 2010 5:04 pm

Really funny stuff. Loved the ‘laughter’ acts at the end. Specially about child laughter.

9. Darweesh says:
    July 17th, 2010 5:53 pm

A top class performer always,brilliant and par excellence

10. Haroon says:
    July 17th, 2010 11:22 pm

Amazing. How does he do it? Keep such a serious face as he sings that as if it was a real song. funny. funny. funny.

11. USMAN says:
    July 18th, 2010 1:04 am

Khalid Abbas Dar is truly a legend. Not just for his comedy which is most original. But his contribution to theatre in Pakistan, which he revived single handedly, is tremendous.

12. Fraz says:
    July 18th, 2010 2:35 am

@ Yasir Imran …. that drama was “Parchi” …. what an amazing performer he is !

13. Blogistan says:
    July 18th, 2010 4:48 am

Wow this is amazing. I did remember seeing Khalid Abbas Dar from TV, but I had no idea of his amazing talents and versatility. What was particularly surprising was the bit between 1:20 to about 2:05 is done in a folk style from Balochistan, used in tribal oral traditions, which requires breathless singing (or something pretty close to it). I saw it on a DVD which had two documentaries, The Religious Music of Pakistan and The Music of Balochistan. The first part of that DVD is available here: http://www.documen.tv/asset/Music_of_Pakistan.html

So it wasn’t just silly stuff made on the spot. Dar was actually singing in a particular style, and a very difficult one at that!

14. Watan Aziz says:
    July 18th, 2010 10:27 am

It took almost 40 years to unravel this mystery.

Folks, this is jinn-speak.

The jinns of I-slammed-everyone-else-abad, Lahore and Karachi respond in this language when people raise issues about clean water, sanitation, electric power and literacy.

This is exactly why there is injustice and inequity in Pakistan. This is exactly why people cannot register FIRs. This is exactly why people never get court hearings to get justice.

This is exactly why Shazia Masih and Mohammad Bashir Kacha did not get basic medical services. This is exactly why Mai Jori Jamali has to “travel” 2 miles to get water.

Thank you Khalid Abbas Dar!

I am grateful to Mr. Dar for demonstrating how the three jinns speak back to us.

‘maaaa nnnnnna maaaaa na ….. tar bar, balay nalah, tar bar balay nall …. aey rey bannaaaal… hoooooooooooooooooo’

15. Shabbir Kazmi says:
    July 18th, 2010 7:04 pm

Great post, loved his stand up comedy too, so simple, direct and funny.

Shabbir

16. Omar says:
    July 22nd, 2010 11:56 pm

great stuff

what was the name of the actual song that this was a spoof of. i can’t remember the exact words of the original