ATP Photo-Quiz: Where in Pakistan is this?

Posted on October 20, 2006
Filed Under >Adil Najam, ATP Quiz, Architecture, History

We have not had an ATP Photo-Quiz for quite a while. So, here it is. Our previous Photo-Quizes were fairly well-receievd (here, here, here, here, here and here), and it is only appropriate if this one is about a building, given all the discussions we have been having on architecture (here, here, here, here and here).

Do you know where in Pakistan this structure is?

Should not be that difficult to guess. But is it a guess or have you yourself been here? Let me give you another picture of the same place that might be slightly more familiar.

I assume that the blogwise amongst you have seen these pictures recently elsewhere. But I also suspect that very few have ever been here. If you have, please let us know and share your knwoeldege and experience with us. If not, I will follow soon with a second post that has more details on this, including credits.

20 Comments on “ATP Photo-Quiz: Where in Pakistan is this?”

1. Suleman says:
    October 20th, 2006 11:26 am

This is the Karachi War Cemetery, I haven’t been here so can’t comment on that.

2. Farrukh says:
    October 20th, 2006 11:38 am

dunno really. but from the style, background in second picture, and carefuly taken care of green grass, I might guess somewhere near Abbottabad or Kakul?

3. Khalid R Hasan says:
    October 20th, 2006 12:22 pm

Looks like the war graves near the National Stadium Road in Karachi. I’ve been inside the adjacent Naval Graveyard where my father is buried.

4. Amir says:
    October 20th, 2006 12:13 pm

my first guess would have been Rawalpindi since that is and was teh big military city in the region.

5. Shahid Aziz says:
    October 20th, 2006 1:13 pm

This looks like the war cemetery at Vimy, France.

6. MQ says:
    October 20th, 2006 2:49 pm

This is in Karachi, probably on Stadium Road or somewhere in that vicinity. I have been there and my first reaction was why can’t we keep our cemeteries as clean and tidy.

7. Kabir says:
    October 20th, 2006 2:54 pm

Not sure where it is from but it is a pretty elegant image.

8. temporal says:
    October 20th, 2006 3:31 pm

interesting:)

this is from the cemetry across from the stadium…used to be dalmia cement road?

9. TURAB says:
    October 20th, 2006 5:00 pm

i recognize the front gate near dalmia ….

can anyone guess where the memorial for second wrold war soldiers is?

10. Hadia says:
    October 20th, 2006 6:41 pm

Amazin. grew up in Karachi and never knew of this

11. Shahran says:
    October 21st, 2006 11:29 am

Yes, I do remember it when you make a left from the National stadium karachi towards PNS Bahadur this cemetery comes on your righthand side.
    I remember it because one of my friend lived just opposite to the PNS Bahadur and our school van used to go there I was in sixth grade then.I saw the structure and it just clicked in my mind.

12. Altamash Mir says:
    October 21st, 2006 12:23 pm

If I am correct this monument is at the Gardens of “Frere Hall” Karachi. This monument was erected to acknowledge the great contributions of Soldiers in the 10th Baloch Regiment in WW1. One of the Baluchi soldiers “Lance Naik Khudadad Khan” was the first Indian soldier to recieve The “Victoria Cross”. There is even an area is Karachi called “Khudadad Colony” probably named after him.

If you would like to read more about the Baloch Reginment cisit this site:

13. iFaqeer says:
    October 21st, 2006 6:20 pm

When someone mentioned the gate, I remembered it. Passed it every day on the way to “college” (11th grade) on the bus from Malir to Adamjee College.

Question: the engraving says “Pakistan”. The monument was put up after independence?

October 21st, 2006 6:26 pm

Looking at the stone masonry I can say for sure it is in Karachi. It is ‘gora qabristan’ across FTC building.

15. October 23rd, 2006 11:48 am

This is in Karachi…Its a world war memorial…Years ago, i did a piece for Dawn newspaper on this graveyard and its history…

16. Farzana says:
    October 26th, 2006 1:29 am

I think it has already been figured out… this is in Karachi…. see earlier comments.

17. M. Nouman says:
    October 25th, 2006 10:32 pm

Its located in SINDH, somewhere close to SUKHUR or in SUKHUR.

18. mansoor says:
    October 26th, 2006 10:28 am

Hey! Its the War Cemetary on Stadium Road in Karachi. Been reading KMB have we Adil bhai :)

19. October 26th, 2006 10:31 am

Mansoor… I try never to miss KMB… and, yes, that is where I saw these first ;-) [that's why I waited a bit to post these here]

20. October 26th, 2006 10:33 am

Well, now that so many have guessed it already, yes, this is the War Cemetry in Karachi. You can find more details about it here. It was also featured in Karachi Metroblog, which is where I first saw it.

Turab do please tell us where the WWII memorial is.