Runa Laila Unplugged

Posted on June 17, 2008
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Music, TV, Movies & Theatre

Owais Mughal

There are 4 songs in this post.

While surfing on YouTube, I was happpily surprised to find followng songs by Runa Laila. Many of you may know that she is the world famous singer from Bangladesh. She has a huge contribution of singing Urdu songs in Pakistani movies. She has also sung Punjabi, Pashto and Bengali songs in Pakistan. Infact, she has sung in 17 different languages of the world.

In Pakistan, Runa Laila has won 2 Nigar Awards, 2 Graduate Awards, 1 Critics Award and a National Council of Music Gold Medal. Besides Pakistan she as won numerous awards in her native Bangladesh as well as in India. There is a large collection of her songs available on YouTube but I picked the 4 that I like the most. I hope you like them too.

(1 of 4)

Song Title: ranjish hi sahih, dil hi dukhanay ke liyay aa

Movie: Mohabbat, 1972

Music: Nisar Bazmi

(2 of 4)

Song Title: humeiN kho kar

Movie: Ehsaas, 1974

(3 of 4)

Song Title: kaaTay ne kaTTeN rattiyaaN, sayyaaN intzaar meiN

Movie: Umrao Jan Ada, 1974,

Music: Nisar Bazmi,

(4 of 4)

Song Title: un ki nazroN se mohabbat ka jo peghaam mila

Music: Nashaad

45 Comments on “Runa Laila Unplugged”

1. Talcium powder says:
    November 11th, 2006 1:23 am

Owais,
    Thank you so much for sharing Runa laila’s songs .i am big fan of Runa laila ,Mala and Naheed Akhtar and i tried to find their songs on Bearshare,Limewire but never find any song .Today you make my day by telling about youtube.Thanks again.

2. Sobaan says:
    November 11th, 2006 2:06 am

Lovely songs by Runa laila, I’ve always liked her voice, very energetic and lively.
    Thanks for posting :)

3. Younis says:
    November 11th, 2006 2:30 am

hang on isn’t she bangladeshi, i thought pakistanis hated bengalis after 1971, what next you will say muhammed yanus & grameen bank is pakistani nobel prize winner

think about it Mr Mughal

4. November 11th, 2006 3:02 am

Mr. Younis,
    I can assure you that Pakistanis don’t hate Bangladeshis. Perhaps, many people of Bangladesh have a grudge against Pakistanis – and part of it is understandable and legitimate. Many educated Pakistanis are ashamed of what West Pakistan did to East Pakistan in 1971.
    Runa Laila has sung some beautiful songs – I have heard her sing “Sohni Dharti Allah Rakhe Qadm Qadm Abaad” when she visited Pakistan on more than one occasion in late 1990s.
    So if you are a Benagli, congratulations to you on Mr. Mohammad Yonus’ success. All South Asians have a right to be proud of his great contributions towards humanity. What do you think?

5. Pakpics says:
    November 11th, 2006 3:49 am

She got an excellent voice. Great singer

6. Younis says:
    November 11th, 2006 5:27 am

isn’t this supposed to be pakistani web site, not bangladeshi web site, or do you claim others things as “made in Pakistan”, if you want to publicise pakistan , stict to pakistan

7. Shahid Husain says:
    November 11th, 2006 7:08 am

How do you copy a Youtube clip and paste it? I’d like to copy this Runa Laila video

8. MQ says:
    November 11th, 2006 7:31 am

Younis,

It seems you want to pick a fight unnecessarily. Hassan Abbas has already answered your question. Pakistanis don’t hate Bengla Deshis. They are are ashamed of what happened in 1971.

As for music, it has no boundaries. People enjoy all kind of music regardless of the language or the nationality of the singer. If Runa Laila has no problem singing in Urdu in Pakistan, you shouldn’t have it either. So, relax and enjoy Runa Laila singing!

9. zach says:
    November 11th, 2006 8:27 am

thans very much for sharing with us nice flash back and yonus snap out of yourself pakistani do not hate bangladeshi,indian.srilankan etc etc pakistanis r art lover,they enjoy art regardless of nationality or language or riligion as MQ explian very well

10. Naveed says:
    November 11th, 2006 10:18 am

i would leave aide mr. younis’s comments as our collective guilt over 1971 is clearly acknowledged by all..that owais did not make any claims that she was a pakistani is as appropriate as his entire post. so a very sweet blog indeed

firstly thank you Owais. i absolutely love runa laila…i just wish i was a little older when she was doing her dance numbers in the early 70s.

coming back to runa laila, the 4 songs mentioned are unique.. in addition to ranjish hee sahee another ghazal which surprisingly does not feature in her own collection but does make it to EMI’s best pakistani ghazals is “ab is qadar bhee na chahoo kay dam nikal jayay” (sorry i am forgetting the first misra is it qareeb itna he rakho kay jee behal jayay?)

and how about “champa aur chambaylee yeh kaleeyaan nayaee navaylee” and there are several other filmi numbers like “dil dharkay main tum say yeh kaisay kahoon” (and how about oyay hooyay hoy when she starts this one :)

another famous aspect of this association with the makhdoom family is that runa laila sang the kafi’s of makhdoom talib ul maula, makhdoom amin fahim’s father who was a renowned poet

runa is my all time favorite alongwith shahnaz begum…my father tells me of other bengali singers (firdousi begum etc who has sung Faiz beautifully) whose migration to bangladesh left a huge void on the music scene

November 11th, 2006 11:10 am

This post is an acknowledgement and tribute to Runa Laila songs. No political motives behind this post :) Enjoy the music. At no point have we claimed her music for Pakistan only.

12. MQ says:
    November 11th, 2006 11:19 am

Yes, one of Runa’s sisters (possibly Dina Laila) was married to one of the Makhdoom brothers.

Another famous Benagli singer, as already mentioned by Naveed, was Firdosi Begum. Her songs sung in Bengali language were superb. I wonder if anyone could post them here.

I remember watching Shehnaz Begum (was she also a Bengali?) once on TV sing “Sohni Dharti…” Bhutto was also in the audience. It was soon after 1971. Bhutto could not resist climbing on to the stage and joining Shehnaz and clapping with the beat of the song. It was unprecedented then for any head of state or government doing such thing publicly. The whole audience including some somber looking ministers joined in. It seems now it was a different age altogether.

Could anyone imagine Zia, Isshaq or Tararr clapping and singing publicly — or even privately?

13. November 11th, 2006 11:23 am

What beautiful songs. Thanks for a great post, Owais.

Any idea who wrote these songs? So interesting that these are Pakstani film songs and even though I have not seen too many Pakistani films, I could recognize every single one of them. Speaks volumes for how good songs travel far beyond their stated audiences.

November 11th, 2006 11:55 am

MQ. ‘Sohni Dharti’ was originally sang by Shehnaz Begum who is now a national of Bangladesh.

15. Mariam says:
    November 11th, 2006 6:36 pm

Runa Leila and Pakistani Connection

Between 1947 – 1971 every Bengali was Pakistani and the songs which mentioned above are sung for Pakistani films :D. These songs do brought back some memories.

16. Naveed says:
    November 12th, 2006 9:28 am

MQ, thanks for reminding us of Shahnaz Begum’s songs. A CD of her ghazals, semi classical and national songs is available in Karachi now. It contains Jeevay Pakistan, Sohni Dhartee, Jeeyay to iss dhartee kay natay, Mauj barhay ya aandhee ayay diya jalayay rakhan hay. It has one semi classical number that I am in absolute love with.

Firdausi begum is featured on the famous “Best of Faiz” by EMI that has been mentioned so many times. It has a classic Firdausi begum ghazal which is

rang payrahan ka, kushkoboo zulf lehranay ka naam
    mausam-e-gul hay tumaray baam par aanay ka naam

simply amazing articulation of emotions. This one is done beautifully by Firdausi begum. Sadly this is the only one i have heard by her

Dina Laila was indeed married to Makhdoom Amin Fahim and she passed away leaving behind a son

PTV has so many recordings that it can bring back like music and interviews done in the early 70′s…i guess we just have to wait for these

17. Fawad says:
    November 12th, 2006 9:03 pm

Owais, the second song is highly unlikely to have been composed by Naushad (the great Indian composer who passed away this year). I don’t know any compositions he did for any artists in Pakistan. Could it be that it was the Pakistani music director Nashaad instead who composed the Runa Laila song.

November 12th, 2006 9:41 pm

Fawaad, you are right. The correct name is Nashaad. thanks for pointing it out. I’ll correct it here in next few days.

19. November 13th, 2006 3:24 am

[...] Owais Mughal of All things Pakistan highlights four songs of Runa Laila, the famous Bangladeshi singer. She has a huge contribution of singing Urdu songs in Pakistani movies. She has also sung Punjabi, Pashto and Bengali songs in Pakistan. In fact, she has sung in 17 different languages of the world. [...]

20. iFaqeer says:
    November 15th, 2006 4:07 pm

Where’s De-de pyaar de?! It was one of my favourites–even before the Indian remake of it.

21. MNZ says:
    November 16th, 2006 7:38 pm

[quote comment="8990"]
    [quote post="404"]a little known fact but something i cherish is runa laila’s sindhi kafi collection…yes, her pronunciation is so perfect that you would imagine that she is a native sindhi speaker… i also think her sister was married into the makhdoom family..the sister died when she was still quite young and i believe she left behind a son

in its cassette form which i have since converted onto a CD is titled “Runa sings Talib ul Maula”, her energetic voice has given an absolutely wonderful expression to this traditional form of music[/quote]

Hi Navid,

I would love to get a copy of the CD you made of her Sindhi songs. How can I do it?

ps: How do you know so much about the above?

22. tara says:
    March 15th, 2007 12:31 pm

does nybody hv “tumhe ho na ho” from the film GHRONDA (1977)SUNG BY RUNA LAILA..PLZ HELP ME FIND IT

23. Mohammed Anis Ur Rahman says:
    April 3rd, 2007 12:25 pm

Thank you so much. She is one of my most liked singer. Ever since I have been hearing songs she is most briliant singer.

24. Saniat says:
    April 17th, 2007 2:25 am

Hello !!

I am a Bangladeshi and I saw some very disturbing comment from a certain individual. This is about Runa Laila’s beautiful songs. Why would someone even bring these discussions? Whatever happened in 1971, happened for the best. Lets move on and unite to create a better world for ourselves and the next generation where there is no room for hatred towards humanity. A true human being is the person who has compassion for all human beings; not only for those who have status and stature and who looks beyond negative social barriers such as religion, race, sexuality and so forth. Most of all let us enjoy the music of Runa Laila.

25. Saniat says:
    April 17th, 2007 2:31 am

Hello again !!!

Just a little clarification, when I said whatever happened in 1971 happened for the best I meant, because of 1971 we as Bangalis were able to address our rights as a distict and unique citizen globally. I thought I should mention it since someone might perceive my comment in a very different way.

April 17th, 2007 9:29 am

Dear Saniat

I am glad that you stopped at our website and gave us your comments. plz continue to do so.

Also do you know of a website where we can find Runa Laila’s song in Bangla language. A friend of mine once sent me one of her Bengali songs and it was beautiful. Eventhough I don’t understand the language, I would love to listen to it.

Owais

27. Madhavikha says:
    July 30th, 2007 3:14 pm

Dear Runa:

I am a fan of your music. I don’t speak bengali but in india when I was growing up I was given Rabindranath Tagore plaque for 1st prize for Veena in a competition at Jawaharlal Bal Bhavan.

I am a singer myself. Had training in Hyderabad style at very young age. I happened to bump into her bengali songs at my University music library and couldn’t stop listening everafter. I live in U.S.

My voice resembles her style – but I have myown style of singing. So no I am not jealous in listening to her voice at all. I think I am the best singer of them all.

I happened to listen to a tape of urdu songs by Runa but the voice does not match hers. It’s more like Salma Agha (but she is not proficient in that style as far as I know. I could be wrong.)

So I want to thank Bangladesh for producing such a singer. I admire her talent.

Hope to meet with her one day – maybe I am her daughter’s generation. So what!

Madhavikha

28. khairsoomro says:
    July 31st, 2007 3:28 am

Naveed is right. Runa Laila was definitely a gem of singer. Runa has sung many songs for Sindhi movies . Specially her album ‘Runa sings Talib ul Maula’ comprises of he renderation of Makhdoom Talibul Moula’s (Makhdoom Amin Fahim’s father who was one of the biggest Sindhi poets) poetry is a classic in Sindhi music. She has an unmatchable voice and a gift to sing in different languages. She made frequent visits to Pakistan after her creation of Banglades. She never lost her contacts with Pakistani people. I also remember her performance that she gave in Neelam Ghar ( Tariq Aziz fame). Her sister Dina Laila was also a good singer. She was married to PPP leader Makhdoom Amin Fahim. She died after giving birth to son named Najeeb who now lived in Dubai.

29. Mime says:
    December 20th, 2007 6:28 pm

I was wondering who was Shehnaz Begum. I did a little search, then found out, you guys were talking about Shahnaz Rahmatullah. Thanks for honoring these bengali singers! Its really amazing to see how music crosses ethnic boundaries and reach out every where.

30. Adnan Akhlaque Chaudhry says:
    February 25th, 2008 2:45 am

Salam to all of you … this is really wonderful to know that pakintani bros and sisters still remembered Runa Laila. To my
    surprise some people mentioned ‘Shehnaz Begum’ and ‘Firdousi Begum’ – both of them are equally talented artists. But in Bangladesh, they are known as Shahnaz Rahmatullah and Firdousi Rahman .
    I remember when i was a kid, growing up in a suburb of Bangladesh, i spent a great deal of my time listening Runa, Shahnaz and Firdousi. All of them are so talented, anybody can distinguish their voices – one from the other, each of them has a distinct, melodious way of singing their song -which is simply unique.
    In Bangladesh, we love ghazals. Ustad Mehdi Hassan, Ghulam Ali, Abida Parveen, Farida Khanum, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan – these are some well respected names. Among them – Ustad Mehdi Hassan is my all time favorite. Even today, at the age of 36 – i become so emotional when i listen to his ghazals.
    In 1971 , my ancestral home in Sylhet was burned and destroyed by Pakistani Army. This is such a bitter incident for my family – it costed my father a great deal of money to raise part of it. If you study the history of Sylhet, you will notice – we, Sylheti people, chose to join Pakistan, instead of India during the Partition. …And beloved Pakistani Army ruined our ancestral homes … in return !!
    Today, i don’t have any hatered on Pakistani bros and sisters. ( …Perhaps Ustad ji, Nazia and Zoheb helped me to heal a little bit :) …… ). May Allah bless both Pakistan and Bangladesh ! Amin !!

( Adnan, Hamtramck )

31. anam says:
    March 9th, 2008 11:14 pm

its a wonderful song of Runa laila, if you know bengali, you will like it more.

32. anam says:
    March 9th, 2008 11:54 pm

These are songs of Shanaz Rahmatullah( I dont know if she was knows as Shahnaz Begum).The first song is pretty old, may be before I was born. Rest 2 are more recent. Btw, its bengali.

33. March 10th, 2008 12:58 am

Runa Laila was the best pop singer we ever had in the history of Pakistani Music. Her voice was so vibrant that it used to move us literally.

34. June 17th, 2008 3:54 am

Was not a big fan because when she was singing Madam Noor Jehan had overshadowed everyone, Mala, Naseem Bano and Tahira Syed were like showing a lamp to the Sun (my translation, funny isn’t it). But now whenever I listen to Runa Laila, I appreciate her melodius voice more. It is also that after Madam Noor Jehan, we have to endure Mehnaz Begum, Humaira Channa, Hadiqa Kiayani and above all Naseebo Lal.

35. shahran says:
    June 17th, 2008 8:04 am

Dear All Bangladeshi friends,

Thank you so much for stopping at Pakistaniat.

All Pakistanis even today whether they re young or old, even the ones who like rock, still listen to her melodious songs.

Runa laila was in. NY a couple of years ago and she was the guest of honor in the Pakistan day event where she enthralled the audience with her energy.

Even as of today Pakistan Television is running her show from the 70s called Bazme Laila.

FYI, Runa laili was brought up in Karachi and she did her schooling at St.Lawrence High School Garden East Karachi.

Let me clarify here that all Pakistanis love the immensely talented artist who has some connection to Bangladesh whether it is Alamgir, Shabnam and Robin, Runa Laila, Shehnaz Begum, Firdousi Begum,Moslehuddin (famous music director and husband of naheed niazi).

We do often see sometimes famous PTV drama with Bengali titles which reminds us the days of yore.

I like to dedicate these verses to our Bangladeshi audience which no other than Faiz Ahmed Faiz has aptly penned when he first visited Dhaka many years after the creation Bangladesh

Hum keh tehray ajnabi kitni madaraaton kay baad

Phir banain gay ashna kitna mulaqaaton kay baad

Kitnay dinon kay baad aaiy gi bay daagh sabzay ki bahar

Khoon kay dhabbay dhulain gay kitni barsatoon kay baad”

-Faiz

36. Asif says:
    June 17th, 2008 8:58 am

hey guys,

It would be really interesting to get your views on bangladesh-pakistan relationship of the common citizens.

Please share your views.

37. Humayun says:
    June 17th, 2008 11:18 am

These are beutiful songs and nice memories. Thanks for putting up.

38. Humayun says:
    June 17th, 2008 11:19 am

By the way, is the second video not working?

39. Shahran Asim says:
    June 17th, 2008 9:37 pm

Famous Bangla Folk song by Runa Laila

40. Faraz says:
    June 17th, 2008 11:12 pm

Wow, another nostalgic piece. ATP this isn’t fair :). Good way to keep readers coming.

Asif, the readers here represent anything but the common
    Pakistani.

41. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    June 29th, 2008 2:00 pm

@ Shahnaz Begum,

1. She was beautiful, I was in college.

2. She had a song ” Geo to is dharti kay nattay,
    Maro to is kay naam ho oo
    maro to is kay naam
    Bandhein to yehi Bandhan Bandhein,
    yun jina kis kaam ho,ooo

and she became more beautiful, since that day and still
    today.
    Rafay Kashmiri

42. Ashok Salian says:
    August 14th, 2008 12:28 pm

Runa Laila, Shahnaz Rahamuttalah and Firdousi Rahman are very popular in India. I wish these singers take part in some of the music based Indian reality shows like ‘Saregamapa’, ‘Indian Idol’ as Guest singers or Judges. There are also many Bangla TV channels which would love to have these singers. Indians love you all.

43. AJ says:
    November 14th, 2008 12:07 am

I’m Bangladeshi and I would love to see Runa Laila singing Urdu songs again. If she did then other Bangladeshi artists would follow her and start singing in Urdu as well. It would bring Bangladeshi and Pakistani music industries closer.

44. inayat memon says:
    June 20th, 2009 11:30 am

It is my spiritual Feeling That Runa Laila is the legend artist of the word her voice is special gift of God we all sindhi peoples are still missing her sindhi songs, now sindhi music is orphan music,without Runa laila ustad juman and Ibrahim Abida Parveen is not counting as sindhi singers now he is Darbari Singer.her Sophi Rag is only for retired baurocarates.
    so I request Runa Liala for singing sindhi songs.
    his past was very butiful in sindh.
    as sindhi peoples are still missing her vice .
    inayat memon
    larkana sindh pakistan

45. September 18th, 2009 10:25 pm

ASSALAMUALEKUM
    We bangladeshis don’t hate Pakistanies.We hate the leaders and also Army leaders who were in power.They were autocratic,did injustice to us.Not only Bangladeshis but also Pakistanies will never forgive them.Once we had a same dream of having freedom.Kaed-e-azam Jinnah made it true.He continued the brotherhood bond between east and west.After his death we forgot his lessons.My question to all can a person forget the killing of his father,mother,sister,brother,wife?The old citizens of Dhaka use Urdu as their mother tongue.Even Biharies(who came here from India after riot)use it also.So you can’t say we hate Urdu or Urdu songs.We hear the songs of melody queen Noorjahan.Urdu songs of Runa laila is being telecasted in our tv channels.We are blind fan of Pakistan cricket team.The photo of Shahid Aridi is common in every home.