Growing up in the city called mini-Pakistan (Karachi), my ears got accustomed to listening to almost every spoken language and dialects of Pakistan. So much so that in some areas of the city one could even hear languages whose origin was as far as in South India e.g. Malabari, Malyalam etc. As I try to recall, the words of one language that is unfortunately missing from my memoryâ€™s audio library is Balochi. How many of us can recall the sounds and words of Balochi?
So we have thought of this blog as an experiment on spoken Balochi at ATP where weâ€™ll try to learn few words; you and us together. If you know Balochi, please help us learn and correct any mistakes we may be making here. If you don’t, please join us in learning a few words. If people find this interesting we may try this for other languages too.
The image to the right is a Zahoor Shah Hashmi’s poem about Balochi langauge
So here is a lesson in learning basic Balochi which I have compiled from other sources (references below). Let’s start with the greetings and if there is enough interest generated in this post, we will continue it to further lessons or spread it to other languages of Pakistan. By the way you are also welcome to give translation of following words/salutations as comments in any language that you know of.
Image to the right is the set of Balochi alphabets alongwith their Urdu and English counterparts as well as their pronunciation.
welcome = washaatke
Live long life = zendag baate
How are you = chone tao?
I am fine = man washon’ or man washan’ everybody is okay = duraen’ washaan’
washon (For first person)
washan’ (For first and third person)
washe’ (For second person)
thanks = minnat vaar
thank you = taee minnat vaaran’
Dear = dousten’ / doustigen’
Dear Brother = dousten’ / doustigen’ braat
Dear Sister = dousten’ / doustigen’ gohaar
Sister = gohaar / gwaar / gowaar
Dear Sis: Banoken’ gohar
sorry = bebaksh / bebagsh
Excuse Me = mana bebahgsh
Congrats = Mubarek baa
are you feeling well? = taee jaan washen’
are you okay? = tao washen’
ATP’s Other Posts Related to Balochistan
Balochistan and topics related to it have remained very popular at Pakistaniat. Following is a recap of our earlier posts on these related topics.
1. Pakistan Gives: ATP’s Contribution to Balochistan Cyclone Relief
2. Baluchitherium – The Beast of Balochistan
3. Nawab Akbar Bugti Killed
4. Gwadar Port: A Great Development Project or A Great Game
5. Zhob Valley Railway (ZVR)
6. Bolan Pass Railway
7. The Trans-Balochistan Railway
8. Learning Resource Center, Nushki – Balochistan
9. Owning Fred Bremner – Historic Photos of Balochistan
10. Balochistan Travelogue: Ziarat ke zaair
11. Mud Volcanoes of Balochistan
12. Hingol National Park of Balochistan
13. Cyclone Havoc in Balochistan
14. Lasbela, Balochistan – Tourism
15. Khojak Tunnel – Railways in Balochistan
16. Chappar Rift – Railways in Balochistan
17. Karez Irrigation in Balochistan
18. Pishin: Food, Fruit and History
19. Astola Island – Off the coast of Balochistan, Pakistan
References For Learn Balochi 101: