Learn Balochi 101

Posted on July 24, 2008
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Culture & Heritage, Education

Owais Mughal

Growing up in the city called mini-Pakistan (Karachi), my ears got accustomed to listening to almost every spoken language and dialects of Pakistan. So much so that in some areas of the city one could even hear languages whose origin was as far as in South India e.g. Malabari, Malyalam etc. As I try to recall, the words of one language that is unfortunately missing from my memory’s audio library is Balochi. How many of us can recall the sounds and words of Balochi?

So we have thought of this blog as an experiment on spoken Balochi at ATP where we’ll try to learn few words; you and us together. If you know Balochi, please help us learn and correct any mistakes we may be making here. If you don’t, please join us in learning a few words. If people find this interesting we may try this for other languages too.

The image to the right is a Zahoor Shah Hashmi’s poem about Balochi langauge

So here is a lesson in learning basic Balochi which I have compiled from other sources (references below). Let’s start with the greetings and if there is enough interest generated in this post, we will continue it to further lessons or spread it to other languages of Pakistan. By the way you are also welcome to give translation of following words/salutations as comments in any language that you know of.

Image to the right is the set of Balochi alphabets alongwith their Urdu and English counterparts as well as their pronunciation.

welcome = washaatke
Live long life = zendag baate
How are you = chone tao?
I am fine = man washon’ or man washan’ everybody is okay = duraen’ washaan’

washon (For first person)
washan’ (For first and third person)
washe’ (For second person)

thanks = minnat vaar

Dear = dousten’ / doustigen’
Dear Brother = dousten’ / doustigen’ braat
Dear Sister = dousten’ / doustigen’ gohaar
Sister = gohaar / gwaar / gowaar
Dear Sis: Banoken’ gohar
sorry = bebaksh / bebagsh
Excuse Me = mana bebahgsh
Congrats = Mubarek baa

are you feeling well? = taee jaan washen’
are you okay? = tao washen’

ATP’s Other Posts Related to Balochistan

Balochistan and topics related to it have remained very popular at Pakistaniat. Following is a recap of our earlier posts on these related topics.

1. Pakistan Gives: ATP’s Contribution to Balochistan Cyclone Relief
2. Baluchitherium – The Beast of Balochistan
3. Nawab Akbar Bugti Killed
4. Gwadar Port: A Great Development Project or A Great Game
5. Zhob Valley Railway (ZVR)
6. Bolan Pass Railway
17. Karez Irrigation in Balochistan
18. Pishin: Food, Fruit and History
19. Astola Island – Off the coast of Balochistan, Pakistan

References For Learn Balochi 101:

(1) Zahida Raees
(2) Title photo is a sample Balochi text from Omniglot

31 Comments on “Learn Balochi 101”

1. July 24th, 2008 8:06 pm

Owais, I think this is a wonderful idea. I do hope you also do it with other languages.

By the way, that first piece (black) sounds so much like Farsi (Persian) testifying, I think, to similar roots and close contacts between the two languages.

July 24th, 2008 8:12 pm

Adil you are right about the resemblance. Yesterday, I spent atleast an hour trying to verify if title text is Baluchi and not Farsi. I am still not 100% sure. That is why we need some help from our readers. I had found this ‘sher’ on a Balochi website but It looks very similar to Farsi.

3. falcon says:
    July 24th, 2008 10:16 pm

I’m pretty sure the text above is Farsi. The words, the grammer, it looks like farsi to me. If it is indeed Balochi, it’ll be an interesting surprise :)

4. Saqib says:
    July 24th, 2008 11:14 pm

I have two comments. The above text in black is for sure in persian. The point to note is, that Baluchi language contains about 50% of Persian words. Secondly the Baluchi of “How are you” is ” Che Haal ae”. I checked these from my Baluchi collegue, but he himself cannot fully speak and read Baluchi language so I did not get much help.

5. Anwer says:
    July 24th, 2008 11:46 pm

Yes, this is pure Persian and the two verses are part of a long and beautiful poem in the “Kulyat Shams Tabrizi” of Maulana Jalal-ud-Din Rumi. The original is slightly different from the version given in this post and is as follows:

July 25th, 2008 12:51 am

Anwer Saheb, thanks for educating us. I’ve now changed the title text with an authentic Balochi ‘ghazal’. Its English or Urdu translation is unknown to me.

Saqib, see if your friend can translate the title ghazal for us.

7. Raza Haider says:
    July 25th, 2008 2:09 am

Could someone please tell me just how similar Baluchi is to Farsi (or different) and also to Pushto. Is it closer to Pushto or Farsi?

8. Anwer says:
    July 25th, 2008 3:24 am

Balochi is related to North Western Iranian languages such as Kurdish. Both Balochi and Pushto have been influenced by Persian; however, as a language it is closer to Persian than Pushto.

A couple of useful links for Balochi language:

9. Naseer says:
    July 25th, 2008 4:45 am

- Owais Mughal and Anwer Sahib,
    What ‘shusta’ comments and note.
    Owais, I call this ‘original’ thinking.
    Keep up the good post.
    I cannot read or write Balochi but certainly enjoyed the ‘purr maghaz’ comments.
    Sincerely
    Naseer.
    ps:
    Adil and Owais-
    How can I send/email you something which I believe is worth putting up here. Its in Urdu, a lament on Iqbal’s ”Khudi”

10. Hina says:
    July 25th, 2008 4:59 am

Coolness. I speak Balochi but unfortunately, couldn’t fully understand the poem by Muhammad Iqbal. :(

11. Baloch says:
    July 25th, 2008 10:07 am

The ‘ghazal’s is still not Balochi. It is ‘Brahavi’.

July 25th, 2008 10:12 am

Baloch saheb, can you find us a sample of authentic Balochi text or guide us to a website where we can find one

13. Baloch says:
    July 25th, 2008 10:39 am

Sure. Here you go;

1- http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/7914/mubarakqazi3da.jpg

from Mubarik Qazi, lamenting the loss of Gawadar.

2- http://baask.com/diwan/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=55.0;attach=604;image

Zahoor Shah Hashmi’s poem about balochi language

3-http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1785/untitledoz1.jpg

Another one from Mubarik Qazi, praising baloch sarmachars

4-http://asaappublications.com/updates/archives/balochi/2008/July08/23/d6.gif

Here is a couple of centuries old Balochi ‘Shair’, describing a battle between two tribes.

July 25th, 2008 12:07 pm

Baloch Saheb. ‘minnat vaar’. Can I request you to translate Zahoor Shah Hashmi

15. yasser latif hamdani says:
    July 27th, 2008 11:17 am

What a thoughtful and timely post indeed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is indeed Brahvi, the language of the Brohi clan, and mind you the oldest existing Dravidian Language in Pakistan from the time of the Indus Valley civilization.

Pakistan is the land of great diversity which we must begin to celebrate so that we may bring unity to this diversity.

16. July 28th, 2008 4:11 pm

Thank you for an excellent post. Urgent effort is needed to protect all of Pakistan’s national languages, which are at great danger of disappearing completely. Thank you for this post. Please see this amazing poem in Seraiki, by Riffat Abbas:

The Elephant

By Riffat Abbas

A jangling chain is heading this way; a red light blazing on the crown, the trunk revolving in all directions, sniffing the ground, exhaling fumes, a howdah is laden on this form, needing only a slight adjustment (is someone riding in the howdah or is it the beast itself inside?); tied to the tail is a smashed up watch; on it, the time of the city stands still

Read the rest here:

17. Asif Shiraz says:
    January 2nd, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi.. i’m looking for baluchi translators….. does anyone know of them? Please let me know at asifshiraz@yahoo.com

18. Watan Aziz says:
    January 3rd, 2009 11:31 pm

dousten Mubarek baa

taee minnat vaaran

19. Mehtab says:
    January 4th, 2009 2:58 pm

Dear Brother

You have done gr8 job. Please keep it up….

20. aruna gill says:
    January 8th, 2010 4:06 am

Can someone please tell me (in roman script) what is typically used by children to call mother, father, brother, sister, etc. Not the word for mother but how the are typically addressed at home. Thanks

21. aruna gill says:
    January 8th, 2010 4:12 am

How do people typically address a Mir or a Tumandar in Balochi? Do they say, greetings Mir Khan or something else?

Also, does anyone know if adda is used affectionately for elder brother?

22. Christo says:
    March 30th, 2010 1:59 am

Great info, is the Balochi language as spoken in Pakistan the same as that used in other areas/countries. For example, would one be understood by Balochi speakers in south eastern Iran (Chahbahar area) or is their language/dialect different?
    Any info (and tips on learning the language) would be greatly appreciated.

23. Balochigirl says:
    March 31st, 2010 12:49 pm

you can also say ;

how are you? – Chetore ? / To choon e ?

Me/ I – Man
    You – To / Shoma
    You guys – Shoma

what are you doing ? – To/Shoma che kange?

Come – Bia
    Go – Boro
    I dont know – Man nazana
    I know – Man zana
    Go bring something – Boro cheeze biaar

Yes – Hauw
    No – Inna

I love you – Man shoma dostat darem / Man shoma pasand kana.

why ? – Chiya

You are beautiful – To wash lagege..

24. nina says:
    May 3rd, 2010 9:37 am

ugh this is all wrong bad bad balochi

May 3rd, 2010 12:41 pm

Nina. please provide the correction wherever you think a better alternative is available.

26. sahir says:
    January 21st, 2011 7:17 pm

im a baloch already

27. FAISAL MEHMOOD KHAN says:
    February 16th, 2011 7:52 pm

Sir, i wanna learn Balochi language. Can you help me?

28. kifayat ullah baloch says:
    April 12th, 2011 4:15 pm

In Dera Ismail Khan distt. NWFP more than 60% of population is baloch and they speak seraiki and they love to learn n speak balochi, so i request u to do something in this regard.

29. zinadini says:
    April 23rd, 2011 2:22 am

very great job thanks for all

30. zinadini says:
    April 23rd, 2011 2:29 am
  31. sadi says:
    May 20th, 2011 10:59 pm

plz help me i want to learn balochi language soon.