Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/pakistaniat/public_html/wp-content/plugins/paged-comments.bak/paged-comments.php on line 31
Eid Adventures in Pakistan : ALL THINGS PAKISTAN

Eid Adventures in Pakistan

Posted on September 22, 2009
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Photo of the Day
Total Views: 20090

Owais Mughal

(1) A Mechanized Swing or a Pendulum?

My son looked at this photo and asked me whether the swing will be able to move under the weight of crowd. I had no answer. I wanted to bring out the laws of physics in my defense and go into the details of oscillations and simple harmonic motion (pendulum) but kept quiet.

This photo is from Rawalpindi. Taken on September 22, 2009, it shows a crowd on a mechanized swing enjoying Eid festivities.

Some elderly person had once said that ‘Eid to asal bachoN ki hoti hai’ (Children enjoy Eid more) and I believe it is very true. There is no match to the genuine happiness and eagerness one sees on the faces of children on Eid-ul-fitr.

In this post I have put together a series of photos which show people celebrating Eid-ul-fitr across several cities in Pakistan. One can see quite a few daring scenes of enjoyment here.

(2) and Action !!

This is the same boat as seen in the photo above. It seems to be oscillating fine, even under heavy weight.

(3) Safe Landing in Quetta?

Following photo is taken on the first day of Eid in Quetta. I chose this photo for its details. Just take a moment to appreciate quite a few things going on here. Note how the girls are dressed similarly in pairs. Note how there is a piece of mat under the first two knees of the camel. Is it by chance? or is the camel trained enough to place his knees on the mat? There are quite a few onlookers, conscious of being on camera but the camel controller seems oblivious to it. He is more concerned about business and safe landing of the desert’s DC10 aka camel.

(4) The Swing Complex in Quetta

Following photo is taken on the first day of Eid in Quetta. I chose this photo for its details too. Note this series of swings made from bamboos. It can be a part of an Eid mela where these swings have been constructed temporarily.

Note how an elder guy is trying to get into a basket shaped swing (second swing from the right). Also note a bicycle lying flat on the ground, next to this swing. It most likely belongs to the gentleman who is trying to get into the basket swing.

On Swing # 3, the rider seems to be doing sideways tricks.

(5) Tail-gating in Hyderabad

Following photo is taken on the first day of Eid in Hyderabad. Venue is the famous Rani Bagh of Hyderabad. I chose this photo because I thought it was simply cute.

Photo Credits:

All photos are taken from the Associated Press of Pakistan. Photographers are Irshad Sheikh for Photo # 1 and 2, Mohsin Naseer for photo # 3 and 4 and Farhan Khan for Photo # 5.

7 comments posted

1. Adam Insaan says:
    September 23rd, 2009 4:19 am

jahney kahan gaey woh din……… batjbaan keH

Alas, – those were days indeed!

Yes and indeed some of the amusements did and still do demand the spirit of a child and the courage………….. to enter and enjoy.

2. Obaid says:
    September 23rd, 2009 4:54 am

Eid controversy

Bilor: People not celebrating Eid with us are following Rabwah

First extremists ..and now secularists…jain tu kahan jain…

3. Tina says:
    September 23rd, 2009 5:04 am

They are nice pics, but as per the boat, it is unsafe to overcrowd it so much as little hands and feet can get caught in things….but LOL you can say the same thing about the trains, the rickshaws, and the motorbikes. Time and development will change the standards so all these beautiful children will not have accidents.

Everyone have a safe and happy Eid :)

4. Haroon says:
    September 23rd, 2009 9:28 am

Nice pictures and simple pleasures. This is what Eid really is, a little joy. Specially for those who do not see joy as much.

5. September 23rd, 2009 12:55 pm

Some comments from the ATP Facebook Page:

- “these r fun”
    - “Those are pure pleasures but are also dangerous pleasures.”
    - “desi khalis khushya……..”
    - “laws of physycs .. ya rite! pakis rite their own laws .. to tailor situations fit best to their needs”

6. Sajjad Junaidi says:
    September 23rd, 2009 7:27 pm

I used to love camel (DC 10 – very nice) rides. My favorite part was when camel was getting up (taking off) or sitting down (landing). I remember spending my first Eidi on bicycle riding without fail for few years. New Eid shoes were never comfortable so they used to go on carrier or handlebar and by the time I got back home mom had new clothes ready because she knew “somehow” there would be grease on my clothes. Those were the days of care free fun.

7. ShahidnUSA says:
    September 24th, 2009 10:26 pm

God bless these children.
    I love children and become a child with a child, every opportunity I get.
    But
    Simple mathematics
    666= not good
    Means if you were only able to pass 6th grade and have monthly salary of 6ooo Rs. Please do not have 6 children.