Bun-Kabab or McDonalds?

Posted on November 18, 2009
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Food, Society
Total Views: 19564

We have written about the ‘street McDonalds’ stands before and this new picture is also interesting.

Not sure how the corporates from McDonald’s feel about this. Probably not too good. Although, they should realize that they are not likely to be losing any customers to these street-vendors… in fact, they just may be getting free publicity (including on this blog) in the bargain.

But if they were smart, they may also like to get some good ideas from these vendors. I still remember my good ol’ bun-kabab (a.k.a., bund-kabab) – a burger look-alike, but with spicy shaami kebab inside. Frankly, I wil take a bun-kebab any day over a McDonald’s burger. What I woudl prefer even more is a bun-samoosa… or, if I were in a mood to splurge, a bun-samoosa-kebab dripping with spicy goodness.

And that is the idea that the McDonald’s guys in Pakistan should really be taking from these street vendors. Coming soon to a McDonald’s near you, the All New McBunSamoosa.

It could be a big winner!

23 Comments on “Bun-Kabab or McDonalds?”

1. ASAD says:
    November 18th, 2009 10:24 am

I vote for Bun kabab over McDonalds, any day and any time!

2. Waqas says:
    November 18th, 2009 10:59 am

Nothing like good old Bun Kabab with anda

3. Mano says:
    November 18th, 2009 11:01 am

Bun Kabab ! … and who can forget bun-samosa.. my standard lunch during high school :)

4. Hungrydude says:
    November 18th, 2009 11:51 am

Now you got me hungry for the “bund-kabab”….darn it! where can I get it? There is none where I live…this is torture :)

Nice post tho!!!

5. Aziz says:
    November 18th, 2009 11:51 am

I have never had a chance to eat McDonalds in Pakistan but would prefer bun kabab over McDonald anytime with extra chutney and double kabab for additional Rupee. Well…I hope it is still a Rupee :)

6. asim says:
    November 18th, 2009 1:47 pm

My vote is for bun kabab as well. I wonder if in Karachi the Khayam Cinema Bun Kabab is still their.

I love the title of a musical show on GEO or ARY
    Kabhi Burger bhe Bun Kabab Tha –

7. Rashid Ali says:
    November 18th, 2009 2:25 pm

I remember one Bun Kabab vendor, rather than add chutney to already spicy Bun Kabab, use to dip the whole Bun Kabab, hand in all, into a large pot of chutney. Final product use to turn into a “Bun Kabab Chatkhara”

8. Schajee says:
    November 18th, 2009 2:33 pm

Couple of kebab patties made with extra daal and held together with egg, heated and applied to freshly greased buns with butter, mayonnaise, watery ketchup/chutney, sprinkled with some onions, cucumbers, tomatoes and salad are presented in a paper bad dripping with oil… how can McD compete with that!

9. November 18th, 2009 4:02 pm

Some comments from the ATP Facebook Page:

- “Bun Kabab………….”
    - “biryani , not this willayti stuff”
    - “Bun Kebabs :D … seriously … so much better junk and has a real taste …”
    - “Love the bit “NaqqaloN se hoshiyar” … LOL”
    - “bun kabab”
    - “BuN kAbAb !!!”
    - “bun kabab …….. maza aa gya yaar !!!”
    - “bun kabab”
    - “hmmmm bun KABAB!!!!”
    - “bun kabab”
    - “bun kabab”
    - “koi to mcdonald ko like nahi karta phir bhi itna chalta hai ………lol”
    - “bun kabab”
    - “apna desi “Bun Kabab” is the best”
    - “any day bun kabab”
    - “yar mujhy b khila do bun kabab.plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,yummmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy”
    - “yes i can never forget these ban kababs in DJ college and usually on the streets, with smell of street smoke and the usuall smell of kababs wowwwwww , nostalgia.”
    - “theres somethign called bun-samosa as well, kisnay khaya hay? love it too.”
    - “of course samosa n BANKABAB………….”

10. HarOON says:
    November 18th, 2009 4:55 pm

I think McD should take Prof. Najam’s advice and create the “McBundSamoosa”.

But the fun of eating it at the thella is half the charm itself :-)

11. Sajid says:
    November 18th, 2009 5:17 pm

Of course there is no match of our good old ban-samosa!! I still remember it from my college(ICB) days..

12. SJH says:
    November 18th, 2009 9:31 pm

Those who live in Chicago should approach McDonalds to introduce McBunSamosaKabab – I am reminded of my high school canteen.

13. Saadat says:
    November 18th, 2009 11:14 pm

Hear, hear!

14. Aamer says:
    November 19th, 2009 4:21 am

what is bun samosa?
    is it samosa in a bun ? or shami kabab in a samosa?

15. Natasha says:
    November 19th, 2009 6:34 am

The second picture says : ‘Naqalon se hoshiyaar’

The warning doesnt apply to the thhelle-wala’s branding strategy I guess.

16. Ayaz says:
    November 19th, 2009 7:45 am

I am Sure Its a good Idea.. McDonald’s Managers Think about it..Jobs in Pakistan

17. ali says:
    November 19th, 2009 10:32 am

Bun Kebob over Mcdonalds! I`ll take two anytime.

18. cynic says:
    November 19th, 2009 12:03 pm

Wow!! in our student days the biggest treat used to be bun samosa at 10 or 11 AM and bun anda at 6 PM. i would still prefer these two delicacies over almost everything else. of course the bun has to be fresh and anda or samosa has to be piping hot to make it a winner. when you need a slight change in taste there is always the bun which tastes somewhat like a sheer-maal and when eaten with a salty omelette inside, it is something to die for!! in summers a lemon soda with the above completes the package. my my!!

19. Razi says:
    November 19th, 2009 11:10 pm

What MacDonalds?

Nothing beats Bun Kabab….specially with piaz and dhunye wali chutni. Best ones I had….there used to be a vendor who used to stand outside National College in Karachi…then there was one near Khayam Cinema in Nursery and third was Yusuf Bhai in Dhoraji

20. HarOON says:
    November 25th, 2009 3:39 pm

I bet you you will see McBundKabab soon. ATP should demand royalty then!

You should charge them for such great ideas!

21. Farrukh Bokhari says:
    January 11th, 2010 7:26 pm

Traditional bun kabab beats McDonalds hands down any time.
    I think the best bun Kababs I had in Karachi were from Pakistan Chowk and from a particular vendor who use to have thalla in fornt of Bhashani Sweet, Jaffery optician and opposite Fressco at the very end of Shahrah-e-liaquat and the intersection of Mohammed bin Qasim Road and Burns Road (from where bus used to go to M A Jinnah Road leading to Tower)
    As to burger …………………….. i remember burgers at canteen of S M Science college….. they were good but not exceptional .

22. abid says:
    August 30th, 2010 8:15 pm

can u open mcdonald in mirpur azad kashmir plz?

23. Health Fitness says:
    September 16th, 2010 7:50 am

Nothing beats Bun Kabab….specially with piaz and dhunye wali chutni.