Zong’s Campaign: What Do You Think?

Posted on April 13, 2010
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Economy & Development, Education, Pakistanis Abroad, Science and Technology
Total Views: 19602

Take a look at this new Ad campaign from Zong. It is, to say the least, different.

I saw it at Teeth Maestro’s blog and I am still trying to figure out what to make of it. As a song. As a video. As message. As an advertisement. What do you make of it?

25 Comments on “Zong’s Campaign: What Do You Think?”

1. Vinnie says:
    April 14th, 2010 3:07 am

The song is more of an advertisement covering social message and values also. Those who have left the country for any reason have roots in Pakistan. So the people abroad shouldn’t forget the country they belong to.

A super song and Salam to Zong for this great piece !

2. smssr84 says:
    April 14th, 2010 4:06 am

I love it!!! their first anniversary song was cute….and this one is true…. is real…. is patriotic!! something we need!!! a push… a hope!!!
    Bravo to the zong team!!

3. Farrukh Bokhari says:
    April 14th, 2010 5:15 am

9 out of 10 for this song.

4. Rampart says:
    April 14th, 2010 6:28 am

This stinks so bad I don’t know where to start.

When the deaf sister showed up, that was the limit.

I would rather have ads in which there is car chase scene with cars banging sides and stuff.

5. ali hamdani says:
    April 14th, 2010 6:30 am

I really like the video. We owe much to Pakistan soil. Us$9 billion remittance come in and it is the duty of us people to use this money in the interest of citizen education. Education is one aspect of life that will eliminate the terrorism threat for the better future of Pakistan as well. Nice add. Should make more of these so people realize to be active citizens.

6. waqas says:
    April 14th, 2010 7:40 am

Excellent

7. ASAD says:
    April 14th, 2010 7:47 am

The song itself is nice enough, although very very cheesy. But the MESSAGE IS REALLY DISTURBING.

The Ad is shown in Pakistan so it is for PAKISTANIS IN PAKISTAN.

So, what is the Message?

It is really saying to Pakistanis in Pakistan, that you have to do nothing (or keep doing what you have been dong which is how we got into this mess) because it is the responsibility of Pakistanis who live outside to make money and come back and save Pakistan. The message is that someone will come from outside to help Pakistan because Pakistanis in Pakistan cannot.

I do not see that as a good message. It only gives Pakistanis in Pakistan an excuse to do nothing and blame those who left instead of looking at what they themselves have done or cold do!!!!

8. Aliya says:
    April 14th, 2010 8:53 am

I agree with Asad.

I think it gives one more reason to Pakistanis to think that (a) our problems are caused by someone else and (b) or solutions will come from Pakistanis who make it ‘big’ outside instead of us doing anything ourselves.

This is a bad social message.

9. Eidee Man says:
    April 14th, 2010 8:55 am

I think ad is quite good.

Remember that this is a commercial; they are paying directly for their air-time. Unless the message is outright offensive (which it certainly is not), then it makes no sense to pass judgments on its philosophical message.

@Asad, do you really think those who live in Pakistan are so naive?

10. Anwar says:
    April 14th, 2010 9:38 am

I think this song gives a good message to those who have the capital and opportunities to do something for those who do not have….

11. April 14th, 2010 11:19 am

I loved it. It was creative and well made. And it’s wonderful for ads to take the responsibility to encourage social justice.

The only part that confused me was how the guy seemed to be happy with every except his wife. Did anyone else feel that way or is it just me?

Anyway, yay for Zong. Thanks for encouraging us to take care of our people.

12. Nadeem Ahsan says:
    April 14th, 2010 4:41 pm

All I can say is one word “Wow!”Truly inspiring message. Kudos to Zong.

13. smssr84 says:
    April 14th, 2010 8:50 pm

Well it can also mean that….. “fulfill your promises” ….. “its about time u fulfill your promises” “you have earned enough…. now give it back”

whatever the message is… it is a positive one!!

14. Ghazanfar Ali says:
    April 14th, 2010 10:06 pm

I actually agree with Asad. There is a subliminal message that is about the “responsibility” of those who left and “made rich”… if they did so they did because they worked hard… but the message is that they should feel guilty somehow. That is what is wrong with this.

15. April 14th, 2010 10:30 pm

Some comments from the ATP Facebook Page:

- “koool hai:)”
    - “very touchy :)”
    - “it was a great idea!”
    - “very nice ;-)”
    - “Wah … Masha’Allah… Riviving spirits of people living abroad and forget the roots.”
    - “nice song!!!”
    - “nice!”
    - “song s good but i hope the motive which s promulgated in this v video shld b luanch practically”
    - “Agree to Huma Mehmood….btw very nice msg”
    - “its telnor’s idea which is presented by zong by different ad campaign only I would rather say that it is more well executed than telenor”
    - “lakin telnor ka B.A students wala idea ager apply ho jay to pakistan my parhai ka myar kafi buland ho ga lakin in uni’s ko to ALLAH he puchy in ko paysy bnany sy furset nahi hy to pakistan py kya twja day”
    - “SONG ME DAM HE !!!!!!!”
    - “.. u r ryt this idea is not just an idea and its not just another BONGI .. it is a WORKABLE IDEA… only if the VCs of the big universities of pakistan give some attention to it.. and jahan tk iss vedio ki baat hai its awsome.. simple gr8 vedio.. and it has meaning.. and message only if people listen .. specially those living abroad..”
    - “luv it…..”
    - “yeh great idea”
    - “Its a nice song and have a meaning full subject Dam hai”
    - “fantastic 1..,”
    - “i tau loved it”
    - “a nice advertisement, every Pakistani should do something for this motherland. Pakistan Zindabad”
    - “Jo Pakistan wapis bhi ana chahta hay wo yhan k halaaat dekh k kabhi na ane ka faisal kerta hay or dosrou ko bhi mana kerta hay or jo yhan reh rahe hain wo khud jald se jald Pakistan se jana chahte hain wja ye nahi k kisi ko Pakistan se mohabbat nahi wja yhan k halaat hain jis me rehna ksi ko psand nahi…”
    - “hum ko jo kuch mila daes he say mila …is haqiqat ko bholana nahi! Great lyrics , great Ad!”
    - “jub tak bethay tamashaii bannoo gayy mattii ki khushboo say door hi rahoo gayy
    aoo ur zimmay darii utthaoo
    kabhii tu sonharay lafzoon main pokarray jaoo gay”

16. Adil Syed says:
    April 15th, 2010 12:18 am

Very motivating song (but with the same purpose i-e to advertsie a service) . But i feel that it is inspired from Telenor new ad Campaign.

But i must say this ad successfully fulfill a marketing concept ( AIDA). AIDA means A=Grab Attention, I=Develop Interest, D=Decision Making, A=Take Action

17. Neena says:
    April 15th, 2010 3:34 am

Remind me of Shahrukh Khan’s movie Swades.

I found this zong guy bit irresponsible since he didn’t took his wife in confidence before changing their lives but then it is a norm for most Pakistanis that’s why no one notices it

18. Ahmed3 says:
    April 15th, 2010 1:04 pm

The ZONG compaign though it has at the back is publicing its name. However we admit, that the Advertisement system adopted by Zong, is quite different and catches the eye. The present compaign is more of a ‘Public Service Message” than an Advertsement.

19. Sohail says:
    April 16th, 2010 4:05 pm

The ad brought tears to my eyes … very touchy, I wish I can find such courage. This ad very much reflected my dream of building a school back home for under privileged children

20. Natasha says:
    April 17th, 2010 10:27 am

Gave me goose-bumps when I saw it for the first time.

A socially responsible marketing campaign indeed. Good job by the brains behind the concept.

21. Fayyaz says:
    April 17th, 2010 12:22 pm

It gives us a nice message and inspiration as an individual to make positive contributions towards our society development instead of just sticking to mere criticism on the government….A really good one

22. April 17th, 2010 3:02 pm

I have been watching these “INSPIRATIONAL” vidoes for quite a long time , well i have one thing to say that inspirations with out an action plan are day dreams

23. Haroon says:
    April 17th, 2010 3:05 pm

Thank you Yasser Mahmood for telling us that YOU have been acting while we have been daydreaming.

Do please share with us all the ACTIONS YOU HAVE BEEN TAKING that have Pakistan a better place.

Well done.

24. April 18th, 2010 11:57 am

@Haroon saab , I did not point fingers at any one daydreaming

I just stated that Inspiration with out an action plan is a daydream…..

I did not say that All are daydreaming and I am taking all the action…

25. funky says:
    April 19th, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi,

apart from the debate about day dreaming and having an action plan. here are something that I noticed.

1- He has electricity in his home. it seems he is in a village. even the biggest cities in Pakistan dont have electricty. Funny !

2- He is building a school in a village. my brother !, majority of our villages are under big Land Lords’ control. you cant even plant a tree without your ‘Choudhry’ ‘s permission. if you dared. he will send his men to kick you on your butts, until you shit in your pants. :-)

3- its all about playing with public’s emotions.

The commercials we really need to watch should be like this :

1- Choudhry’s men are beating a Mazara and some of them are raping his young daughters. suddenly the camera moves and shows this gallant / brave man with a stick to beat the hell out of them and make them run. ( what happens next dont need to show in this song )

2- he starts the tubewell. ( no electricty ! hahahaha )

3- he wants to buy some land to make a school. he needs to talk to the landlord ( hmmm, he beated his men , remember )

4- he doesnt need the permission from landlord. he mobilizes the Mazaras and start building the school. ( Police appears and start Lathi Charge. )

5- while he and some of the brave Mazaras are fighting with all these people, some of Thurkee mazaras raid the houses of those good mazaras and their women, child and even female animals are on their mercy :-( ( yes, this is what happens )

sad . . .

suddenly camera moves and it shows the family of this poor guy, his wife and childern looking all this with horror on their faces. . . .

no need to say anymore.

you know how it ends

so, switch channels and watch ‘Nachle’ !!
    there are so many hot girls in this show
    to just cheer you up a little bit
    to keep your morals high

you know